[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 84 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

In this thread we discuss the current and past trends of urban planning from across the globe.
Urban planning is /n/ related.
Previous:
>>1806880
>>
>/UPG/ Indoctrination Reading List (Expanding, feel free to make suggestions)
"Life between buildings" by Jan Gehl
"The Smart Growth Manual" by Andrés Duany
"Geography of Nowhere" by James Howard Kunstler
"The Death and Life of Great American Cities" by Jen Jacob
"The Aesthetic Townscape" by Yoshinobu Ashihara
"The Hidden Order: Tokyo Through the Twentieth Century" by Yoshinobu Ashihara
"Sprawl Repair Manual" by Galina Tachieva
"Missing Middle Housing" by Daniel Parolek
>Useful Websites
https://smartcodecentral.com/
https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IZC2021P1
>>
Needs more parking space and freeways.
>>
File: microcar.jpg (69 KB, 580x385)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1854453
I've forgotten how much I appreciate cars as a biker, though I think that there's an issue with how we design things for them. Best thing to do is to impose size limits on vehicles within certain cities and give a tax credit for anyone who doesn't own anything of an unreasonable size. Easier for parking, practical for EV, and could get away with a different, easier licensing class. Concerns about space could be alleviated by just having a folding trailer in the back.

Seriously, why do cars continue to be so large?
>>
File: 7438471343.png (425 KB, 1438x719)
425 KB
425 KB PNG
>>1854545
cars have been getting bigger for 30 years because of continually more safety regulations. All those crumple zones and tech needs more space. Cars are starting to get unattainably expensive for most people. I have seen a push for small and cheap 3 wheeled cars. I would probably own one if I lived in a big city.
>>
This is the transportation board, local politics threads belong on /pol/. Thanks.
>>
>>1854455
>smartcodecentral
Based
>>
>>1854563
>cars have been getting bigger for 30 years because of continually more safety regulations

Also because retarded Americans wanna drive their 5t trucks to and from the suburbs to their job in the city center
>>
>>1854642
That's a retarded rent free opinion from someone that gets their opinions from someone else. Truly gigantic personal vehicles that obviously aren't used for an actual utility are very rare.
>>
>>1854646
Ok the previous anon was exaggerating but as a suburbanite myself you have no idea how many people here own huge pickups or vans and don’t even use it for the intended purpose. The reason for large vehicles is that they can carry a large payload with less detriment to the vehicles performance, be it in passengers or material/items. However I’d say over half the «large personal vehicles» in the Chicagoland area have never had more than 2 people in them at once.
>>
>>1854655
I live in Florida and I don't really see a ton of mega trucks here. Mostly small crossovers and regular cars
>>
>>1854597
Anon, transportation is an inherently political topic. Decisions on how companies build trains, planes, busses, and cars almost always have some amount of government oversight or even direct involvement. Hell, one could argue that the sheer scale and wealth of the automotive industry makes it it’s very own player on the international stage.

If people talk about trains, we’re bound to inevitably begin discussing how the government should manage them, from the Georgists who claim that transportation should be free to give everyone the freedom of movement, or the free market libertarians who claim trains should always be a private venture, or the leftists who claim trains should be operated by the government at a deficit to maximize utility to the public.

Every time we have a plane thread, there’s always people discussing whether airplanes should be designed by people with ideas or by a government committee. Every bus thread tends to lament the lack of frequency of certain routes.

Also pol is kinda retarded by most metrics
>>
>>1854658
That’s fair, I suppose it differs in different states, counties, etc
What are the suburbs like in Florida? There are pretty huge cities there but also a ton of urban sprawl for rich retirees as far as I’m concerned
>>
>>1854597
>drawing lines on a empty piece of paper is /pol/
>>
>>1854660
There's basically 2 types of suburbs.
1. Rich NIMBY gated community mega suburbs that gent memed about on this board with virtually no stores within a 5-10 mile radius but sill somehow has the cleanest widest sidewalks anywhere.
2. Standard middle class suburb that can maybe be sorta walkable if your house is in a block with a supermarket on it.

Otherwise it's basically stroadland with lots of plazas and parking lots. There's also a good amount of parks here which are nice
>>
I read Ann Arbor is getting rid of their parking minimums. It’s encouraging not just major cities ending parking mins but also smaller historical towns.
>>
>>1854659
Chugga chugga choo choo is not a political topic, fuck off ghoul.
If you're going to say that any relation to politics is political, then you can say that about literally anything in life due to the pervasive nature of politics.
>grass
Political. The government maintains cut grass in parks, therefore it is political.
>milk
Political. Government taxes milk, therefore it is political.
>defecation
Political. Environmental regulations dictate how sewage is handled.
I'd like to see the amount of mental gymnastics it'd take for you to claim that this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOSC_1TxqWQ is political.
>>
>>1854756
>grass
Not political
>milk
Somewhat political in the states, for some reason politicians love giving money to the dairy industry. Hell, the government even has the biggest reserve of cheese in the world.
>defecation
Ew
>that video
The video isn’t political since it’s just a fan of trains showing off a cool one he saw. The point I was getting to was if we have a board made to talk about «transportation» we are bound to start talking about politics revolving around the issues that come with said transportation. The argument that «urban design is political so this thread belongs on pol» is dumb because by that very logic this whole damn board has no reason to exist. Therefore urban design general is probably more suited to being here rather than on pol since
A: the thread is less likely to be derailed by autists sperging over a random unrelated subject
B: Who cares if things get political! So long as we keep the thread focused on everything transport, we’re good and vibin B)
>>
Cars are heavily subsidized in America.
>>
>>1854759
>The argument that «urban design is political so this thread belongs on pol» is dumb because by that very logic this whole damn board has no reason to exist
That's only assuming that transportation is the same thing as urban planning, and that urban planning is the same thing as transportation.
Urban planning incorporates transportation, but transportation as a topic is independent of urban planning.
>if we have a board made to talk about «transportation» we are bound to start talking about politics revolving around the issues that come with said transportation
I presume that "we" is exclusive, considering most of the threads on this board are not political.
While I agree that urban planning is more /n/ than /pol/, insisting that a hobby is political just because there exists a branch of politics that involve the hobby is plain and obvious subversion, that is the reason why you should go back to wherever politics forum you came from.
>>
>>1854759
Totally agree and it’s why I make endless unpopular threads that I have to bump myself, sometimes for hours, on /ck/ about corn subsidies and fair trade
>>
>>1854690
need more mixed use
>>
File: cities skyline.png (3.59 MB, 1909x898)
3.59 MB
3.59 MB PNG
Check out my citi guys.
>>
>>1854767
He's a bad faith troll that needs to be ignored and/or banned. He knows damn well it's would be damn near impossible to have a coherent urban planning discussion on /pol/.
>>
>>1855171
>Cape Coral hyper suburbs
couldn't be me
>>
>>1855171
i wonder how good the city is going to function if i copy it to simcity4
>>
File: trucks.jpg (48 KB, 602x338)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>1854646
I live in the suburbs and there are massive pickup trucks everywhere. What's rare is seeing them actually carrying anything. Usually they're just being used as commuter vehicles because they can't afford a second car. Or their second car is used by their wife.
>>
File: suburb mortars.jpg (65 KB, 553x256)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>1854453
Suburban commuters are destroying cities. They shell urban areas with cars, and the rubble of destroyed homes and businesses takes the form of parking lots. The urban residents are left with nowhere to live and become homeless. Forced to flee their homeland and live as refugees. Or else defect to the other side.
>>
>>1855232
>but I just HAVE to drive my grotesque BMW X7 into the city center every day to my pointless team manager job, how else will people know how IMPORTANT and BUSY I am?
>>
File: IMG_20220701_211847.jpg (436 KB, 720x983)
436 KB
436 KB JPG
Same neighborhood, XX v XXI century
>>
File: IMG_20220701_212256.jpg (483 KB, 720x1132)
483 KB
483 KB JPG
Same district, rather
>>
>>1855171
Innacurate amount of water in this photo
>>
>>1855206
Probably not that hot since the largest tiles are only 4x4km
>>
>>1855269
>>1855270
which country?
>>
File: Jozefoslaw.jpg (121 KB, 960x621)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>1855450
the land of no local planning, poland
I want to puch yanks in the face when they so having no planning laws whatsoever would be better
>>
>>1855240
Yes, people like driving car, especially big comfortable ones.
What point are you trying to make?
>>
>>1855731
The cagercide is coming. Pedestrianised streets spreading across the cities like an unquenchable fire.
>>
fren time
>>
>>1855798
Thankfully only in shitty european cities.
>>
>>1855844
Pedestrianization is becoming increasingly popular in American cities.
Even my shitty Kansas City outskirts suburb has adopted some transportation plans to partially pedestrianize our downtown area. Adding protected bicycle paths and building mid-rise apartments in parking lots.
>>
ASTM 2843 defines "walkable" as within 0.5 mile (0.8 km).
ASTM 2844 defines "access to mass transit" as 0.5 mile (0.8 km) for "rapid transit" (e. g., buses with dedicated lanes, or trains) or 0.25 mile (0.4 km) for other mass transit (e. g., buses without dedicated lanes).
Do you agree with these definitions?
>>
>>1855833
Don't post shitty low-res versions of good images.
>>1844197
>>
>>1855901
you sound like a schizo
>>
>>1855897
yes but what about regional and commuter trains
>>
>>1856757
Under ASTM 2844, "rapid transit" is any mass transit that has a dedicated right of way AND has stations that are spaced more than 1/3 mile (0.5 km) apart. That includes regional and commuter trains.
>>
>>1856770
up to 3 km is enough for a commuter town because you can bike to the station
>>
>>1856775
ASTM 2843 and 2844 are focused on walking, not on bicycling. Maybe there's a European standard that focuses on bicycling.
>>
>>
File: images.jpg (95 KB, 683x449)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>1854453
The most optimal neighborhood design.
>>
>>1855897
>>1856784
Does anybody want to weigh in on these questions? I'm kind of interested in the answers.
>>
>>1857344
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_performance#Energy_efficiency
>bicycling uses one-third as much energy as walking
Just multiply all the distances by a factor of three.
>>
>>1855896
>Kansas city outskirts suburb

I’m from JoCo myself, why are there so many KC area people on this board? Is there something in the water that gives us all transportation-related autism?
>>
>>1855897
Yes, I guess walkable has to also include the 90 year old almost dead grandma. For healthy young people I'd say 2km though.
>>
>>1855897
I've exfiltrated a copy of ASTM 2843, if anybody cares.
https://files.catbox.moe/ol05an.pdf
Is your domicile walkable? How about bikeable?
>>
>looking at random places on google map
>8 lane strode down the middle of guam
>>
File: n.png (1.06 MB, 865x719)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>1858055
You can't just say that without posting an image.
Also, it's only six lanes (plus a left-turn lane), not eight lanes.
>>
>>1855232
My mid sized Burgerland city is the opposite. We have a fuck load of urban residential but most of the jobs are out in the suburban sprawl. Needless to say the public transportation is useless. I'm really glad I like cars.
>>
File: 2022-10-10.jpg (945 KB, 1920x2400)
945 KB
945 KB JPG
"Stroads", huh?

I guess these things have a name.
>>
>>1858058
>7 if include the turning lane
close enough
the question is why a small rather densily populated island need to be zoned and built like a typical suburb?
>>
File: you little shit.jpg (897 KB, 1920x1200)
897 KB
897 KB JPG
>>1855833
>fren time
>>1855901
>Don't post shitty low-res versions of good images
One nigga missed the memo.
>>
>>1858086
Because you forgot why people like lower density in the first place. Contrary to the echo chamber, people, especially the upper class, have sought lower density housing since the domestication of the horse.
>>
>>1858139
Nigga
Next thing you'll tell us that "we generally wear pants as a consequence of horse domestication" ... "Thinking bout those Mongols"
>>
>>1858140
What I mean is, since the Roman days the rich have had country villas, since the invention of the streetcar, people have lived outside the crowded cities...and sure, you could argue about how there were outside forces to make the move outside of American cities into suburbs was less than organic, but there is a certain human drive to have SOME privacy and separation.
>>
>>1854453
>>1857325
Awful
>>
How would you maintain and keep clean a small canal system in a windy dusty hot dry area?
>>
>>1854563
Safety's a factor in the sense that big cars crush small cars in collisions and so big cars are bought for tiny fragile women compensating for their lack of penis
>>
>>1858146
The 'rich' had country villas because they were landowners collecting taxes in the form of produce and transportation technology sucked so bad roads were only useful for military.
They also always had city residences so they could socialize with fellow rich landowner nobility merchants and craftsmen.
>>
rip upg
>>
File: IMG_5998.jpg (78 KB, 1170x780)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>1858139
>people, especially the upper class, have sought lower density housing since the domestication of the horse
Why are you making up bullshit ? Google what an "hôtel particulier" is.
>>
>>1854453
the most best urban planning is the "spanish grid" (also their former colonies)
it's ugly but efficient
>>
>>1855269
>>1855270
>XX v XXI century
Which one is which?
>>
Does your city/country have sunlight access laws?
In Poland it's minimum 3 hours during equinox. 1.5 h in downtown zones and none at all in single room apartments
>>
File: APL.jpg (243 KB, 1437x1686)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
>blocks ur path
>>
What is the best urban design for affordable and sustainable multi-generational housing?
I'm thinking tiny plots like in Japan are better
>>
File: 1649612496572.jpg (120 KB, 1100x650)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>1855232
it was a natural reaction to the great migration destroying urban cores, the same thing is slowly happening in European capitals that are being colonized.
>>
>zoning is inherently racist
I hate americans
>>
>>1863246
long houses
>>
First in for mid rise mixed use neoclassical.
>>
>>1864478
elaborate please
where are those found
>>
>>1864491
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longhouse
>>
>>1864497
This is low density rural
>>
>want to build my own house someday
>will never be able to build the house I actually want to build unless I move to an area where zoning, code, and etc isn't enforced
I don't want to build a stick frame house with all that toxic barriers, roofing, insulation, etc
>>
>>1864512
can work in urban too
>>
Finally looked into unite dhabitation
what a mess.
pros
>nice looking facade
>communal roof
>multifunctional
>multi story apartments
cons
>25 m deep apartments
>apartments like the one marked yellow on pic suck ass
>corridor with no natural light
>tiny width and height of each apartment
>the building is freakishly massive even for a commieblock
it solves the problems that itself created
>>
walkable city
>>
>>1866770
See >>1855897 and >>1857546.
>>
I want to start a youtube channel to discuss Urban Planning in my city. Do you have any recs/ressources about that?
>>
>>1858088
streetview address?
>>
File: deuxième partie.jpg (856 KB, 1920x1200)
856 KB
856 KB JPG
>>1866948
Why?
You trying to talk shit?
>>
>>1855229
Those are just normal modern trucks, the reason they are that size is again, like some other anon says. Safety regulations.

And you have no choice in the matter, not about dick size or rednecks, if you want to buy a newish truck(because you need one) its going to be that size.
>>
>>1860719
what is the spanish grid? I've never heard of it

t. spaniard
>>
>>1867004
open google map and zoom into any city in latin america.
>>
>>1866912
>>1854455
you can try these.
>>
>>1867009
oh thanks, I had missed these
>>
>>1867011
no problem, feel free to contribute if you have any suggestions of books or websites.
>>
File: argentina.jpg (465 KB, 960x960)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
>>1867004
>>
>>1867081
we call that hipodamic grid
>>
grid plan is most likely the only case where yes, it's proven more efficient, but it's too soulless for me to ever support it
>>
>>1867088
What about imperfect grids
>>
File: maxresdefault(13).jpg (204 KB, 1280x720)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
What do you think?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Zvq9pybXg-4
Sunlight access to the apartments aside, it actually looks nice.
Everything at the ground floor is dedicated to walkable commercial use
>>
File: 1666020434385127.jpg (935 KB, 2765x2074)
935 KB
935 KB JPG
>>1867878
grim and depressing
houses should have been max 5/6 story
no plants or trees just giant concentrate plaza
>>
>>1867878
>it actually look pretty nice
ye so nice the chinese themselves are revamping their entire urban planning code.
>>
>>1867890
explain
>>
>>1867895
Traditional chinese urban planning post Deng's reform is high-density single-use zoning that's usually 500mx500m gated community blocks. With roads typically being 6-8 lanes wide.
New zoning regulations calls for denser road networks with smaller streets, with mid-rise mixed used buildings and daily amenities that can be reached within 15 min of walking.
>>
I am sometimes overcome with despair at how horrible American cities and streets have been designed. It seems like an impossible problem to fix at this point.
>>
modern architects are one of the major hinderance to beautiful cities
Change my mind
>>
>>1868022
What depresses me is that the American model is being exported to a lot of rapidly developing countries in the third world. The population loves new car-oriented developments thanks to American cultural influence. It's fucking up housing there too since they want to have the white picket fence and sprawling lawns just like what they see in Hollywood movies.
>>
File: 1623670087759.jpg (118 KB, 1152x768)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>1868102
indeed
>>
File: 1623674747698.jpg (201 KB, 1000x750)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>
File: 1623674842421.jpg (131 KB, 1024x819)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>
File: 1623671597729.png (477 KB, 645x466)
477 KB
477 KB PNG
>>
File: 1623678920935.png (1.15 MB, 1198x798)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
>>
>>1868155
>>1868156
>>1868157
>>1868158
>>1868159
and they are all done by world-renowned architects that every architecture student looks up to!
>>
why don't they just turn it into some park?
seems retarded
>>
File: 1649004330814.gif (1.18 MB, 1800x886)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB GIF
i fixed new york
>>
File: 1650382923683.gif (3.43 MB, 400x300)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB GIF
>>
>>1855731
I key cars for funsies
>>
>>1868102
cool it with the antisemitic remarks
>>
>>1868195
i only hate it because im not benefiting from it.
>>
File: Screenshot (3354).png (2.85 MB, 1920x1080)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB PNG
Every street should look like this.
>>
>>1867081
Bleak.
>>
>>1868337
Looks like an absolute hell but urbanites do enjoy their hellish pod life lol.
>>
i would really like the only cars in the future to be racing cars and street cars made solely for a tiny fraction of the population, car enthusiasts
shame that will never happen because everything is declining in the spenglerian sense, even new things that should be good
>>
>>1868337
>every street should have a tramway
Unless your city blocks are really wide this would be a nightmare
>>
File: 5el3qdlm6sa61.jpg (283 KB, 640x473)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
>>1868411
good luck living in village without car when
>>
For residential bildings, simple stairway-access is the best
But I do feel that gallery-access can be better if you want to introduce multifunctionality in the gorm of shops or offices on highter floors.
What do you think?
>>
>>1869045
When I worked delivery I was familiar with all of those floorplans. Point block was the worst. They were low-rise apartments built in the 2000s in an area that many would consider ""car-centric"" but they were as described here. The corridors were grim and poorly ventilated.
>>
>>1869088
why were they the worst
and do americans really build stairwells with no sunlight access
>>
>>1869045
single-loaded coridor best, especially when they double as terraces
european point access stairways are usually terrible as >>1869088 describes
>>
>>1869162
why are they the worst
with them you can have two private balconies at each end of the apartment
>>
>>1869045
double loaded makes your apartment feels like a hotel, no
single loaded is better but the hall is just an awkward space most of the time, you can't do much with it especially when most buildings keep it narrow too. For pointblock i guess you share the common area with less people, but its still a awkward space, even smaller and without any natural light.
>>
>>1855232
There is nothing wrong with destruction of cities. It's not medieval era anymore when you must live in the crowded settlement surrounded by walls. Get with the times.
>>
File: 5ea9744f157c4_o.jpg (158 KB, 1500x1001)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>1869180
>without any natural light.
Stairwells are required have windows in most of Europe
And if they don't (rarely), the stairwell is designed to allow in light from the roof. But that only happens in middle height buildings
>>
Why has walkability in America become a "luxury" only rich people can afford?
>>
>>1868388
Point to me where the pod is in the photo, where did it touch you?
>>
File: 1668703077232.jpg (212 KB, 700x537)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>1869255
Enjoy your pod transportation, try not to step into human feces or get stabbed.
>>
>>1869266
why are you opposed to law enforcement?
>>
>>1869270
Why are you constructing straw mans?
>>
>>1869271
Here is a solution, enforce the laws in cities
>>
>>1869272
But only the ones that affect people you don't like, right? Wouldn't want speed cameras or red light cameras or anything like that, that's SOCIALISM
>>
>>1869273
who the fuck is worried about speed and red light cameras right now?
>>
>>1869272
Solution for your straw man?
>>
>>1869274
people who dont take public transit
>>
>>1869274
IRL people in cities (as opposed to the eye-talians whose entire extended families moved out to North Bellmore in the 1980s but still identify as New Yorkers for purposes of internet arguments) care about traffic cams
>>
>>1869275
instead of taking cheap shots taking pleasure in the suffering of innocent people in cities, why dont you use your energy to advocate for enforcement of laws, you do support the police dont you? you DONT want a lawless city correct?

>>1869273 so in your mind, its okay for lawlessness, homeless violence, and going to the bathroom in public transit, because its fighting back against racism and the rich elites who clearly dont take public transit, but instead drive in cars or work from home, do I have that correct?
>>
>>1869279
If you are having a stroke, dial 9-1-1
>>
>>1869280
>t. dirtbag leftist scum on break time from thugging it up
>>
>>1869279
>builds another straw man
>das raisis
Nigger.
>>
>>1869282
you have no argument
>>
>>1869157
Not a lot of room for having sunlight access while still having a sheltered area, and there were four apartments on each level, so no space for a window (or elevator). The ground floor floorplan was obviously different to allow an entrance to the building. The stairwell being in the middle of the building is extremely rare for any new building, almost every building in the country has at least one stairwell (if not the main stairwell) against the outer-most wall.

Like the image shows, this is extremely rare for American buildings (probably due to fire code).
>>
>>1869281
The knockout game is hard work gweilo. Taking a break to inject an eight ball of marihuana and recharge my super predator reflexes is not the same thing as slacking off.
>>
>>1869283
A straw man is not an argument.
>>
>>1868350
Only if you're a bird.
At street level it could be pleasant, but you can't really tell just by looking at the layout.
>>
>>1869303
>could be pleasant
"Could be" being the imperative word there. Dropped the needle on a random area. Looks pretty run-down, but I also tried a few other areas with more pedestrian traffic and more upmarket shops and they didn't look a whole lot better.
>>
File: amsterdam v houston.png (2.47 MB, 1085x1441)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB PNG
>>1868022
You're being fed bullshit that glorifies certain neighborhoods in cities.
>>
File: dee.png (2.3 MB, 1931x1172)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB PNG
>>1868022
>It seems like an impossible problem to fix at this point.
correct
>>
>>1869313
Looks okay, not terrible, especially if we grade on a curve for Argentina's low GDP per capita and various social issues.
My own hometown has considerably worse neighborhoods (and better ones, of course), but you can't really tell which from just looking at the street grid.
>>
>>1854563
>cars have been getting bigger for 30 years
Spoken by someone who hasn’t seen the landyachts of the 50’s-80’s
Cars are getting smaller and smaller. What was a “compact” back in the day would be pretty close to a modern full-size, and the last maker of modern full-sized sedans in the US is getting ready to pull the plug on them by 2024.
>>
>>1869423
One of the dumbest posts on this website in so many ways. And with such brevity! Practically performance art.
>>
File: 1655235185157.jpg (91 KB, 800x508)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
I live in one of the worst cities on earth, Metro Manila.
Don't get colonized by the Americans, especially if you're an archipelago with not much space, or else you'll have the same car centric infrastructure brainworms despite most people not being able to afford cars here and the public transport system being an absolute joke
>>
>>1869429
>rail was king in America until after WWII when (((special interests))) in the 1950s and 1960s created suburbanization and superhighways
>Despite being granted independence in 1946 after a long transition period and briefly operated by Japan, there are cars and muh car-centric infrastructure because of America
Get your story straight
>>
>>1869424
If you think cars are getting bigger you’re actually retarded.
>>
what's the building setback in Mass.? i saw some homes that's pretty close to the curb, or is it because they are older, i was looking at lynn and manchester by the sea.
>>
File: town.jpg (587 KB, 2400x1350)
587 KB
587 KB JPG
I've moved to a nice small town a few years ago (pic related)

I grew up in a shithole car dependent mess of a village, and had to rely on a crap bus service to get anywhere

Comparing similarly sized towns (where i grew up and where I live now)

Transport in the new place is amazing, trains every 15 mins to 2 major cities and 5 towns, most of them are worth visiting and I work in one of the connected towns. Loads of buses in all directions. Old place had one bus line, and when it was late it would bypass the village to make up time. Didnt match up to the train to the big city, so would have to wait for 20mins if I wanted to get to uni.

New place has a cycle path going to both the east and the west coast of the country, going through both big cities and loads of small towns. Old place had fuck all - hilly roads that were 60mph speed limit, cycling out of there was a deathwish idea.

How can one place get so much infra, and another get fuck all in the same country?
Doesnt help that the new place is an ancient royal burgh, and the old place is a mining town where the mine closed over 50 years ago
>>
>>1869429
you shitskins colonized south san francisco in return. anytime I go through SFO I see an army of little flips running around the place.
>>
>>1867889
At least they have a big forest in walking distance.
>>
>>1869495
>ze thinks setback requirements are uniform across an entire state
>>
>>1869510
I feel like alot of it has to do with scale, like if the pic related town get copy and pasted 10x it would also suffer similar problems as american suburbs, then again europeans actually invest in public transportation while us just stuck in a death loop of build far, buy car, congestion, widen road. Like if residential and commercial areas are more evenly distributed within american suburbs.
Scale and proportion is prob also a problem with modern architecture, with buildings that are simply too large, and doesn't even fit within the surrounding elements/ enviorment. One of the reasons why modern attempts on more classical architecture looks funny is prob also caused by the scale of the buildings, the streets, etc. Especially when you consider within greek architecture there's a pretty set ratio relating to each of the elements, like how large the column would be in relationship to the base. I don't know if they are taught in architecture school anymore.
>>
>>1869563
enlighten me
all the modern cookie cutter suburbs look the same.
>>
File: nigger.png (20 KB, 769x519)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>1869568
>run google search for "massachusetts zoning code"
>literally the first result is pic related
>>
>>1855897
Public Works engineer here, can confirm we use this as a general rule of thumb when considering the viability of a multi-modal improvement. Working on a grant currently that has this standard as the cornerstone to whether or not we get like ~12 mil federal funbucks
>>
>>1858085
looks like a rural arterial to me. Look at the surrounding land use. Would not be surprised if this was a county or state road cmon
>>
>>1858086
turn lanes are auxiliary lanes. You only count the thru lanes when classifying a road
>>
>>1858425
Not to mention status symbol, or at least portraying the idea of wealth by going into debt with an 8 yr sinkhole of a loan.

"I PAID MORE MONEY SO I GET TO LIVE WHEN I RAM INTO YOU"
>>
>>1869638
Christ are the loans up to 8 years now
>>
File: AHHHHHH.png (47 KB, 1345x471)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>1869640
survey says yes

I almost took it as hyperbole joke when RCR first mentioned it
>>
File: IMG_20221120_003048.jpg (436 KB, 1536x2048)
436 KB
436 KB JPG
Nothing wrong with this.
>>
>>1869645
>96 month car loan
>>
>>1869868
is this some advanced form of 5 over 1s?
>>
>>1869314
while people cherrypick a lot to make fun of america, this is also extreme cherrypicking and doesn't really hit
a) that is clearly a freeway in netherlands, purely for the purpose of moving cars, it's not a stroad/urban arterial that combines unprotected turn lanes, businesses and a high speed limit with dangerous pedestrian architecture
b) obviously places like houston and dallas have some nice walkable areas that mix modes well but it's by far not the majority and you can find way more per km of city in netherlands, and you go to a smaller, like 500k american city in texas and there MIGHT be one road that is safe for pedestrians and has mixed use developments in it.
>>
>>1857325
Commieblocks are not bad, they're just taller and denser 5 over 1s. The random grass islands bisected by all that car centric design are a waste of space. For texture and ambiance your vegetation can be more distributed and varied, but credit where credit is due there is a pleasing amount of trees. Points detracted for more surface level parking lots than ideal, there's quite a large one. If servicing a rail station or other large major service okay but I honestly don't see what would merit these size lots in a plan that wasn't car dependent.
>>
>>1870856
the point is to provide lots of sunlight and ventilation to every apartment
>>
File: Germania.jpg (223 KB, 770x578)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>1854453
>>
File: file.png (2.51 MB, 1662x1009)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB PNG
>>1869429
Nah what >>1869480 said.
Same shit happened to Eastern Europe and Yugoslavia.
Yes, public transport is much better but it feels like it's only purpose is to pragmatically relieve car traffic, not to make it a nice place to live.
There is the usual ignorance of space.
If you're a pedestrian you're going to walk single file in denser areas.
If you're a cyclist you're going to deal with 0.7m bike "paths" (illegal, paint on the sidewalk, made to steal some EU green funds) that are mostly covered by bumpers from parked cars and pedestrians trying to overtake and pass each other. It serves no purpose other than to 'legally' delegate cyclists off the road.

Picrel, Zagreb, Croatia.
The exact location is practically the center of the city proper. We have two of these roads cutting trough the densest part of downtown and many more just outside of it. God forbid we have more than four pedestrianized streets in the entire city.

There is something about Countries that historically had strongman complexes and material insecurities that does this. They dig themselves into this hole mid-century and breed whole generations that are going to defend it to death. This is a corrupted imitation of western civilization, upheld by weak men who mistake social isolation and physical laziness with success.
>>
>>1870856
commieblocks are built much better than 5 over 1s, most of the parking lots came later since they weren't designed with personal vehicles in mind, the large boulevards are rather just a soviet preference, most of them have good bus/tram connections.
>>
>>1871102
bazirano. I feel for you anon, visiting Zagreb I was horrified by how car-centric it was. not that the rest of the balkans is much better.
>>
>>1871102
Looks nice, you're just a punk bitch desu
>>
>>1871102
>There is something about Countries that historically had strongman complexes and material insecurities that does this. They dig themselves into this hole mid-century and breed whole generations that are going to defend it to death. This is a corrupted imitation of western civilization, upheld by weak men who mistake social isolation and physical laziness with success.
koji kurac ti brijes debilu
>>
>>1871136
Snosi se, kipi i čelavi. Znaš da je istina.
>>
>>1871135
It isn't so nice when for a few hours a day it's a gridlock of drivers that somehow still manage to collectively drive 50 kmh, laying on their horn, coked out of their mind on cortisol and pure survival instinct which makes anything smaller than their car invisible to them.
>>
>>1870855
No shit it's cherrypicking, that's the point. The difference is that the picture is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, while similar pictures (showing the most pedestrian-oriented parts of Europe while showing the most unattractive sprawling parts of America) are meant to be taken at face value.
>>
>>1871128
Hvala anon.
>I was horrified by how car-centric it was
Compared to what country/city? If I may ask.

>>1871208
>the most pedestrian-oriented parts of Europe while showing the most unattractive sprawling parts of America
Doing random drops on google earth is fun and quickly proves the rule.
>>
>>1871095
what's up with dictators and retarded mega projects
>>
Nashville and Anchorage both got rid of parking minimums recently.
Seems to be a quickly spreading trend.
>>
>>1871470
Note: Nashville didn't just get rid of the parking MINIMUM. Rather, it replaced the minimum with a parking MAXIMUM.
https://reason.com/2022/11/22/cities-switch-from-requiring-too-many-parking-spaces-to-banning-too-many-parking-spaces/
>>
>>1871471
Yep, even better.
>>
File: bucharest_commie_blocks.png (3.47 MB, 1440x1080)
3.47 MB
3.47 MB PNG
we need to copy the communists
>>
File: 1669574906181.jpg (127 KB, 750x930)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>1871658
Communism doesn't work.
>>
>>1871658
this is just car dependancy with density, so kind of shit in both ways, very little mixed use, the only thing that is well planned is having services like schools for each area.
>>
>>1871658
Look less depressing than Korea suburban and Commie block.
>>
File: burgerglory.jpg (278 KB, 1200x858)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
I unironically would love to live in a town like pic related.
where in the USA do I go to?
>whats the brit-sh equivalent?
>>
>>1871914
that's not a town, that's a highway stop for suburbanites
>>
>>1871915
It WAS a town probably, that's the sad part.
>>
File: pepe-gets-excited.gif (511 KB, 840x488)
511 KB
511 KB GIF
im unironically autistic(to the point i collect neetbux from the goverment),so I want to "master" the city I live in and be able to know,use,and combine all bus trayectories+subway trayectories.
>is there any rule of thumb for undergoing this one-by-one taking of buses and subways? how do i get creative combining them?
dont worry about the ticket fare,neetbux allows me to travel for free 24\7
>>
>>1871915
>highway stop for suburbanites
And truckers. Lots of truckers. Where do you think your stuff in your apartment comes from?
>>
>>1871953
I live in a house and most of my stuff comes from other people, for free. People love throwing stuff away.
but yeah I know what you mean
>>
>>1871953
would a nation-wide trucker mass strike paralyze the economy?
what if Deep Trucking is the real engine (pardon the pun)behind global geo-politics,along with Big Marine Merchants?
>>
>>1871914
Pick any Interstate exit that's a ~30-45 minute drive from a major city center (ideally in the Southeast) and find a nearby subdivision.
>>
>>1871837
korean architecture is fucking shit but the absolute insane density and variety of food and drink and leisure is unrivaled, I think japan is ahead of them culturally but Seoul is an awesome city, growing up there though is a different story.
>>
>>1871984
>would a nation-wide trucker mass strike paralyze the economy
In theory yes, but truckers are too loosely organized to strike. With rails, there's just about four or five major lines that control most of the country.
>what if Deep Trucking is the real engine (pardon the pun)behind global geo-politics,along with Big Marine Merchants?
Pretty unlikely considering the fallout from the Honkening, with the asset freezes just from people donating, etc.
>>
>>1872114
>korean architecture is fucking shit
do they have the earthquake excuse like japan?
>>
>>1872204
there's no such thing as modern korean architecture, all they been building is the same high density 30 story apartments you can find all over east asia. and the rest are the same modernist jargon.
>>
>>1871944
also,how do I "read the room" in public transport? like, avoiding squish squash during rush hour train, avoiding fights in the stations,etc
>>
I like dense urban living in theory but when I actually lived like that I was so paranoid that people could look within my room. I had my blind closed all the time since my flat was theoretically exposed to over 80 apartments
>>
Is this the lefty YIMBYcuck general?
>>
>>1872319
most people here prob hate current trend of architecture and urban planning. so make your own judgement.
>>
The term people are looking for is 3rd places
>>
>>1872319
Leftoids tend to hate on YIMBYs because commies hate it when developers make a profit. It's much more of a center-libertarian position.
>>
>>1872317
Have you ever tried to see into an apartment building? Because the light levels are lower inside than out it's actually quite difficult through glass.
This is of course different at night with your lights on but then you can't see out the windows anyway so close the blinds then.
>>
>>1872367
ok Not Just Trannies
>>
>>1872317
it bothered me too, but i think it mostly trickles down to the fact that nowadays most of us barely know the people we live in the same building with. I think it depends on what floors your room is in, obviously first floor are easier to look inside. I think the problem get worse if you live in one of those apartments that has a inner courtyard, square shaped, first floor apartments' window and doors directly open into the common area, especially when alot of them have plants and/or swimming pool in the middle of the courtyard, so people are forced to walk along the wall of the building, so right outside your window. i think traditionally they solved this by having a setback, usually a little garden or plants outside your window, or with the first floor raised, so windows won't be at someone's eyelevel. Of course, you are not getting any of these, you will live in your 5 over 1s and you will be happy.
>>
>>1872390
That term existed for decades before any youtubers decided to talk about it, you'd just have had to actually read a book.
>>
>>1871658
>>1871705
I'd say the Soviet commie blocks are closer to what America is than what urbanists want. Which it's funny how despite American and Russia having polar opposite economic systems they both settled on similar urban styles, with the Soviets admittedly building with slightly more efficiency.
>>
>>1872417
Bitch what the fuck is >>1872367 even supposed to mean?
You weren't replying to anyone and the OP has nothing to do with the term.
>>
>>1872456
You know what you're right
Thread moves so slow I assumed anon was responding to an earlier conversation but the third places comment is a total non-sequitur
>>
File: img.png (268 KB, 653x989)
268 KB
268 KB PNG
>>1872457
n-n-NOOO00 YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO ENDLESSLY DOUBLE DOWN, DIVERT, CALL ME A RACIAL SLUR AND MAKE YOURSELF LOOK STUPID TO MAKE ME FEEL SUPERIOR!!!!!!!!!!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.