[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 48 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: rideup.png (1.91 MB, 1852x1230)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB PNG
need to commute to work (6 miles). Its quite hilly and I would have to share the road with cars. What is the mazda miata of ebikes for someone who isn't a manlet? (6'4 197lbs) budget is around $1,500
>>
Canyon Endurace AL Disc 6.0 and not being a fat lazy pos
>>
>>1853440
No. I have a job not a hobby. if it was just to ride around in a flat urban area sure but that isn't the case
>>
>>1853438
rad power bikes are the best price/value combination.
>>
>>1853447
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/collections/electric-city-commuter-bikes/products/radmission-electric-city-bike?variant=32397507133536
does this seem solid?
>>
>>1853450
>https://www.radpowerbikes.com/collections/electric-city-commuter-bikes/products/radmission-electric-city-bike?variant=32397507133536

thats actually exactly the one I was thinking of. people also seem to like the rad rover with 20" wheels but thats not pedalable for anyone over about 6ft 2.
>>
>>1853438
Super 73 s1. Try to find one used.
>>
>>1853462
>Super 73 s1
>Try to find one used.
lol not possible. this does look kino though
>>
>>1853462
>>1853476

Looks super gay.
>>
>>1853531
>>1853476
I'm lucky I knew a friend who was trying to get rid of it for like $800. That's a deal as far as ebikes go. Try looking on Craigslist to find used ebikes. I know they can be hard to find but you'll come across one of the other brands.
>>
>>1853440
Canyon not good unless you're an expert cyclist, mainly because you can only order online.

Op get the Elops Speed 920.

>funky 8s IGH
>comes with fenders and lights
>has a mount for frame lock
>non flashy design
>>
>>1853438
Why not get one of those twist grip moped looking ones?
>>
>>1853438
bafang BBSHD on whatever biyccle you already have
>>
>>1853438
if you're looking at ride1up ebikes then you should check out the cafe cruiser. It's under $1600
>>
>>1853657
this is a very good suggestion. the us specced version has a 8speed wide rear casette and a 1x.
>>
literally none of these suggestions are good.
>>
>>1854061
why don't you give one then
>>
>>1853438
if you could spend a little more and get a mid drive motor you wont be disappointed. otherwise what >>1853834 recommended. ride1up is really good bang for buck
>>
Consider your use case OP and decide if a folding bike will make your life significantly easier by allowing storage inside. The greater theft protection may also allow you to spend more. I almost pulled the trigger on converting a dahon mariner with a bafang middrive until I got a random great deal on a second hand bike.
>>
>>1853438
Specialized Turbo Creo SL
no poors allowed
>>
>>1853438
>What is the mazda miata of ebikes for someone who isn't a manlet? (6'4 197lbs) budget is around $1,500
It's the Lectric Xp, but you might be too big for it.
>>
>>1853460
Radmission is $499 right now.

I have that Ride1UP LMTD - love the torque sensing BB. My Radwagon has a cadence sensor - it rides like a (powerful) child's toy.
>>
Don't waste your time on anything that isn't full suspension or less than 750w. I'd wait for this to come back in stock

https://lunacycle.com/luna-eclipse-folding-ebike/

Or just get this

https://himiwaybike.com/products/moped-style-electric-bike-10?currency=USD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PMax-Escape&gclid=CjwKCAjwv4SaBhBPEiwA9YzZvHaTA6M9sKragzcsx0hHPzSDyO129HKSI7xfMBTr_ZaNxYYPR8VZjxoCTycQAvD_BwE
>>
>6 miles
>e-bike
We need an actual cycling board.
>>
>>1853438
the mazda miata of ebikes is not spending litteraly the cost of a miata on a fucking bicycle
buy a cheap basic bike and a chinese mid drive motor and not chinese battery and youl have something much better for a fraction of the price
>>
>>1853438
>Budget $1500
Depending where you live and your local laws:
You can get an illegal ebike from China for even less, just don't rip it in front of people/cops.
It will be very tempting but if you go passing cars on flat ground they WILL call the cops seething mad.
"How dare a $1500" BICYCLE pass my multi thousand dollar gas guzzler with insurance and license!"

Use Ali express to order from China.
Or if you want to go the legal route, expect to pay $2500-$5000 for an actually good legal ebike.
>>
>>1857564
Most ebikes claim a range of at least 50km
This is of course on low power setting with pedaling
I think 6 miles is realistic for non stop full power use for fat boy OP
>>
>>1853438
>around $1,500
you will not buy any quality e-bike new at that budget. Look into the used market for specialized vado, trek ds+/allant/verve+/fx+/powerfly, giant e+, canondale neo. If you don't care about quality, get an izip. New costs around 1k - 2k. But it will not be an amazing bike. bicyclebluebook and ebay are good places to buy used ebikes.

And there is always the option of building your own. Get a second-hand top-quality bike for 400-500. Buy tsdz2 (tongsheng) for 300. Battery for 400, and pay a mechanic 100-200 to install it. Bafang is another option, but not as nice as tsdz2 because of it lacks torque sensing.

For hilly roads on a daily commute, don't underestimate the importance of suspension. Make sure to have front suspension at the very least, and get a suspension seatpost if there is no rear suspension. You're gonna develop nasty back pain and all sorts of joint problems few months down the line.

And lastly, get some really fat tires. The narrower the worst it is for daily commute. You have to have big wide tires you can run on low psi that eats up the bumps and dips in the terrian, so your tire does slide from under you and send you flying into the asphalt head first. Don't make a mistake of buying a bike with thin tires, those types are for very flat racing tracks, they will fucking suck in regular bumpy, cracked asphalt.

In my opinion, the trek supercommuter is probably the best type of bike for daily commute. If you can find that second hand, buy it.
>>
>>1858458
This is unironically the fattest post I’ve ever seen on this board. Not having suspension on a road will give you joint pain? What, the pain of holding your own body weight with only five (5) points of contact supporting you? Seek psychological help for your overeating.
>>
>>1858462
>not understanding the mechanics of transferring shock energy from a sudden bump to your joint is a nasty impact that wears them down
You have to be a dimwit moron to think bike suspension has anything to do with fitness, as if fit people never ride bikes with suspension. Everyone using a mountain bike must be a fatass according to you. How are you this retarded? Check yourself in at an asylum.
>>
>>1858462
lmao this guy is supported by his fat ass only. He needs suspension because he's riding a ghetto motorcycle and not a bicycle.
>>
>>1853440
/thread
A Miata is "Light is right" incarnate. Ebikes are like trucks: fat disgusting hunks of shit faggots buy arguing they'll need them when it's all for posing. Needing a motor for a commute as short as 6 miles is ridiculous.
>>
>>1858467
>noooooooo my roads are so bad despite living in a first world country that my petite 760kg weight damages my joints when I hit a patch of tarmac older than 3 weeks
Consider suing your fast food vendor of choice my obesican friend.
>>
not OP

I just test rode my new commute. Its about 8 miles, I did it in 45 minutes. But not super pleasant, some long hills and stretches of being on busy roads. And no shower at work

if I did an E conversion on my (90's bianchi) bike what could I cut this commute down to?
>>
>>1859306
How tf? I ride my E bike 16 miles in 45 minutes.
>>
>>1860085
idk man, it's NYC. lots of traffic, pretty hilly, lots of decent amount of stopping. probably averaging about 10 mph. you average 20 on your ebike. seems reasonable to me
>>
>>1857564
I think this thread is okay. I live 8km from work. On my way to work there's a really steep hill about 600m, with two roundabouts on it. I can't make it up on my regular bike. Can ride home okay. Never take my bike although I'd like to. E-Bike would suit my requirements too. Also I go riding on the weekends with my 9yo nephew. He upgraded to a 24" earlier this year. Soon he will be faster than me. I want to keep pushing him.
>>
>>1860207
Learn to use a derailleur.
>>
>>1859306
>>1860107
another nyc anon here. i'm not sure how much time an ebike conversion will save you, maybe 10 minutes? sure you're going faster but probably stopping just as often for just as long. it will save you effort/sweat.
>>
>>1853438
>probably stopping just as often
Frequently having to accelerate back up to speed is when an e-bike shines.
>>
>>1859306

2nding ~10 minutes. I have a class 3 (28mph) pedal assist and at commuting pace 30 miles in 90 minutes is normal-ish factoring in stoplights etc.
>>
>>1859306
@ 15.5343 mph you will cover 0.621271 miles) every 144 seconds / 2.4 minutes
144x12.8748=1853.9712/60=30.89952
>on a pedal assisted E bike it may take 30 minutes to travel 8 miles
>>
>>1853438

You can cycle that as a regular commute on a hybrid. It will take about 30 minutes each way.
>>
I have an ehora xc100 or something. I paid like 700 for it. It goes 20mph on a full charge and can get up to 30 downhill pretty easy. Its a little shitty sometimes (build quality isnt that great, you just have to tighten the breaks and shit up yourself, how it comes is dogshit). I have 600 miles on it in about 5 months. Its pretty good. Honestly anything above this should be fine. I was commuting about 2 miles each way on it fairly comfortably. However I got pretty fucking annoyed riding the same route x2 a day. If I was you I would just try to get a motorcycle instead. You can buy a cheap one for like 2 grand.
>>
Ive got a Ride1UP 500 ST. Its a decent enough ebike. My trip is 14 miles round trip and I can usually go every other day with a charge. I have 1000 miles so far and had to replaces the brakes with the Juin Tech. Still not great brakes but better than before.
>>
>>1853657
My canyon came 95% assembled, all I had to do was put the wheel in the fork, straighten the bars, torque the headset, and put in some pedals. if you can't figure that much out on your own, you probably don't need to be trying to bike commute when your job depends on it
>>
Any ebikes with drop bars?
>>
>>1853438
bump
>>
File: heelies.jpg (129 KB, 960x640)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
im looking to fin the closet thing to a freestyle bmx i can get with an ebike.
small, light, 'responsive' whatever that means
i would like something with minimal proprietary parts, and would like to avoid electronic equipment that is non-standard and/or phased out...

im guessing i would want some hard tail mountain ebike, i would probably lock out the forks.
what mtb type is closest to a jumpy/bunnyhoppy bmx geometry? i know i wouldnt be bunnyhopping onto handrails, but it would be nice to pull up out of curb cuts, stairs and the occasional bank to wallride.
i dont want giant 29in wheels, and i know no one makes 26in mountain bikes anymore do i have any other options for smaller wheels on a mtb? are there any older/cheaper/used e-mtb on 26in wheels?

black friday is coming up, do 50% off clearance deals ever exist for this kind of crap? is it easy to find used mtb stuff, i bet i could find ebikes with thrashed batteries/motors, but the actual mtb i completely unabused

any recommendations on where and what to look for?
>>
>>1868595
^^^oh yeah, i want this as a commuter, currently use 80s steel rigid mtb on slicks with rack.

and i guess i would probably start downhill mtbing on it too. i would downhill mtb way more often, but i dont have a jumpy mtb, and i dont wanna walk/pedal up hills.
>>
>>1868595
>>1868598
you can just build your own if you're that particular
>>
File: 2021_Sausalito_E1_Color.jpg (173 KB, 1717x1059)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>1868595
e-mtbs that are actually good as mtbs are extremely expensive
you didn't say budget so you're question is kind of bullshit.

There's also, comparatively, another weight penalty compared to an e-hybrid. You want a bike that's fun because it's nimble and light and then also the super heavy version of it. Kind of non-sensical bullshit.

You may find a rigid bike like pic rel or a dew-e is south of 20kg and therefor more fun for a degree of urban shenanegans but obviously you can't just send it downhill on a rough trail.
It's what I would buy as a prebuilt 'allrounder', not an e-bike, especially not a low spec one. Though as an e-mtb, e-mtbs are obviously the best.
>>
File: dew_e.jpg (830 KB, 3097x1644)
830 KB
830 KB JPG
>>1868616
*not an e-mtb

~2" 650b tires are a good size for stairsets.
>>
>>1868616
>you didn't say budget so you're question is kind of bullshit.
i said im looking to buy a bike in the $5000 price range for hopefully around half price, by utilizing used product sales and/or black friday sales

>You want a bike that's fun because it's nimble and light and then also the super heavy version of it. Kind of non-sensical bullshit.
yeah, i am hoping for a ~45ish pound bike with maybe a ~15mile range as opposed to a 80lb mtb with a 50mile range.
i dont know much about ebikes so im not really sure if these are reasonable estimates. i figure 30lb mtb with 7lbs of motor and 7lbs of battery, is that reasonable? i understand that i will be limited to what manufacturers choose to make so heavier battery/motor combo would be an acceptable sacrifice if it meant getting a lower price, or better geometry.

>>1868616
>You may find a rigid bike like pic rel or a dew-e is south of 20kg and therefor more fun for a degree of urban shenanegans but obviously you can't just send it downhill on a rough trail.
looks good, but i fear geometry would be too upright like a roadbike.
i wouldnt go down rough pot-hole DH trails that look more like a staircase, but i would like to launch off smooth jumps into smooth landings. thank you for the input, something like this is probably exactly what i am looking for. where would i go to test ride something like this?

>>1868611
>you can just build your own if you're that particular
I would imagine custom brackets would add a lot of weight and be very flimsy or be very expensive
>>
File: citibikeboyz01.jpg (1019 KB, 1232x821)
1019 KB
1019 KB JPG
>>1868617
oh shit, i wrote ~$5000 in the original post, then rewrote it and forgot to add in that number*

i always like to imagine that me *smoothly* jumping stairs and curbcuts is kinda like normys clipping sidewalk curbs in terms of how stressful it is on the bike
>>
>>1868595
You really have no clue what the hell you want or are talking about.

Road bikes are not upright, they are actually the opposite and you have to hunch and lean forward to ride it.

Get something like YT decoy and put slicks on it. You'd wear out $100 mtb tires in a month riding street on them.
>>
>>1868768
>I would imagine custom brackets would add a lot of weight and be very flimsy or be very expensive
There's kits for this anon. There's no junkyard engineering required
>>
I have a commute of ~18 miles one way and I am sick and tired of cycling, especially on windy days but can't get a license.

Motorized options?
The more reliable the better. State/county is pretty lax on most things like e-bikes and the like. Just have to use speed limiters if using bike paths and lights if riding at night. Otherwise they don't really give a shit.
>>
File: taller bars.png (1.95 MB, 1200x1200)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB PNG
>>1869087
>You really have no clue what the hell you want or are talking about.
i agree

where can i test ride these bikes?
>>1868617
>>1868616
do you think they would be somewhat jumpable with taller bars?

>Get something like YT decoy and put slicks on it.
from what i understand, more suspension = less bunnyhop

>you can just build your own if you're that particular
what bicycle geometry would be best for bunnyhopping off curb cuts and stairs? (not just launching off jumps like a mtb'er, but actually pulling up and hopping out of them)
24in bmx race cruiser?
FGFS frame and fork?
dirtjumper geometry

fuck i know theres someone making a few ebmx bikes at 30lbs but theyre over $5000 and i think the range is stupid small like 7 miles or something
>>
>>1869101
put a bbshd on your current bike
>>
>>1869101
Put your k mart full suspension mtb away and buy a road bike retard
>>
>>1869297
Not everyone is an expert elite athlete lance armstrong racer, anglophone fred
>>
>>1858462
LMAO
>>
>>1869297
Why are you retarded?
This isn't a fucking sport to me, being sore and soked in sweat before a very long physical shift is fully impractical.
I am tired of being dead tired all the time.

Also my commuter bike is basically just a road bike with more attachment points for fenders, racks, and a straight handle bar.
No idea why you would assume such random shit about my bike but you are wrong on all accounts and just sound like a jackass as a result.
>>
>>1869598
cyclist become enraged when they realise most people don't want to cycle for commute regardless of weight or fitness level
>>
>>1869297
18mi/28km is outside the viable window for cycle commuting, unless you are a roadie and view it as part of your training, or, you have a seriously cushy relaxing job.

15 km is probably the reasonable ceiling, or, around half an hour.
>>
>>1869604
What people 'want' is a relatively meaningless social construct that is totally distinct from what might make them happy.

In the USA, 41.9 percent of adults have obesity.
Do they want to be obese? No.
Is it entirely within their power to not be obese? Yes.

So what does it mean that they want to not be obese?
>>
File: Team Miyata.jpg (980 KB, 3091x2063)
980 KB
980 KB JPG
>>1853438
>What is the mazda miata of ebikes

e-bikes are cushy, expensive, big, heavy, powerful, bad handling, practical bikes mostly for boomers.
They're not like a miata at all.

The mazda miata of bikes is an old road bike.
>>
File: miyata.jpg (80 KB, 640x480)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>1869615
>The mazda miata of bikes is an old road bike.
Almost, the Mazda Miata of bikes is a Miyata
>>
>>1869617
look at my picture
>>
>>1869617
Based retard
>>
>>1869613
Pure retard logic. Being fed up with a ton of cardio before work is not a "social construct".
>obesity
typical cycloid logic you can lose weight without ever seeing a bike in your life
>>
>>1869621
My comment about obesity had nothing to do with cycling it was just to explain how people's actions and desires are nonsensical.

You said that most people do not 'want' to cycle commute.
They are not fed up by it though, because most people have never really attempted it. How can you be fed up with something you've never done? It is also likely impossible for them to do in a good way, due to poor infrastructure so whether they want to do it or not isn't even a fair question.

As for OP specifically I already said his commute is too long to cycle.
>>
>>1869617
/thread
>>
>>1869625
I was referring to the OP. People can extrapolate that they don't want to go to work sweaty regardless of infrastructure.
>>
>>1869656
maybe you should have replied to my post referring to the op then.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.