[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 18 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: pedestrian-signal.jpg (38 KB, 400x300)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
I hate how stupid traffic signals are.
>press beg button
>traffic lights are red for all the lanes I want to cross
>pedestrian signal doesn't let me through even though it's safe
>sit there for 2 minutes watching a clear and safe crosswalk that I could be crossing
>traffic gets a green light and now I have to wait out a whole light cycle
>I don't get to cross until it circles back around to the state it was in WHEN I FUCKING PRESSED THE BUTTON
This happens to me multiple times a day by the way. It drives me insane.
This is why people just ignore the rules.
>>
Let me guess, you watched the recent Not Just Bikes video, and all of a sudden you suddenly have this "epiphany" that you hate North American crosswalks, without ever leaving your own country and experiencing crosswalks in Europe. Am I right, anon? Did I hit the nose?
>>
>>1853187
I wish there was a way to rangeban njb people from the internet
>>
File: fuck you.jpg (52 KB, 500x462)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>1853187
I have no idea what European traffic lights are like. I just want the light to let me cross when it's clearly safe to do so.
Like I said, this is about bad experiences I have on a daily basis.
>>
>>1853183
You get a button? Most of the new ones are just metal plates that make harsh beeps when you make contact.
>>
I let you in on a little secret about what pedestrian lights actually mean:
Green means that it's mostly safe for all pedestrians to cross, red means that you need to be more careful while crossing.
>>
>>1853191
Not a physical button no. More like a light sensor or something that is functionally the same as a button.
>>
>>1853187
I'm never going to click on his videos no matter how hard he shills them on here
>>
The only ones that rustle my jimmies are the ones where you press a button to get to the median, then need to press another button to cross rest of the way.
>>
>>1853200
That's a good thing if the lights work right.
It lets you cross half at a time, so you don't need as big a gap in traffic.
If it's only 2 lanes then you probably don't even need lights.
>>
File: button.jpg (17 KB, 600x446)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
Today I ran into a crosswalk that didn't have a button at all. It had the light telling me not to cross, but there was no fucking button.
I was forced to cross illegally. (it's illegal to disobey pedestrian traffic signals in my state)
>>
>>1853204
that must been a rush!
>>
yeah, after living in a big city for a few years I just stopped giving a shit about the signals unless I'm with a group (especially if the group is out-of-towners).
>>
There's one by the university that gives pedestrians a super long time to cross during which time traffic is stopped in all directions because of the intersection layout. But its also a long wait after you pretty the button. So people push the button and cross anyway as traffic is usually light. Then traffic is stuck waiting when there is no one crossing.
>>
>>1853222
>yeah
Yeah?
>>
File: npc driver.jpg (22 KB, 600x523)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>1853183
>This is why people just ignore the rules.
lol, if its clear just go, nothing more npc than watching someone wait for a cros walk when the road in front of them is empty

those croswalks are literally for old people, and families crossing from one parking lot to the other... if you actually travel by foot, then just go when its clear, unless you have serious mental deficiencies, in which it is probably better to wait for the robot to clear the path for you
>>
>>1853183
you know what really pisses me off... lights that have pedestrian crossings timed into them.
there is literally no one around crossing in any direction... i theorize its becuase all lights are red for pedestrians... pedal up to same intersection later, stand in the middle, and all the lights truley are just sitting red for 30 seconds.

also i had a 3am commute through a hood and as traffic pacification, they had all the lights turn red as you approach them. so the ~7 lights between the freeway and my job would add about 45 seconds each until i started just running them
>>
>>1853183
pay attention to lights... learn which direction of traffic is going to go next, get an idea how long lights take and just go... oh you miscalculated and now the light has turned green while youre still crossing? fuck them, they can wait an extra 3.5 seconds for you to clear the lane. no one is going to intentionally run you over for jwalking, you poor walking person. get a bike
>>
>>1853410
>>1853415
I can just ignore the signals, but that's illegal where I live.
It's a minor law to break, but my whole point is that I shouldn't have to break laws to cross a street. The signals should just work properly.
>>
>>1853436
>It's a minor law to break, but my whole point is that I shouldn't have to break laws to cross a street
laws are made for the lowest common denominator, theyre there to guidee retards. use common sense and cross the street whenever...
>It's a minor law to break
what eurocuck country do you come from or are you autisitc?
>>
File: sad superman.jpg (36 KB, 349x335)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>1853445
>what eurocuck country do you come from
Kansas
>>
>>1853183
just cross the street you pussy. i hate autists
>>
>>1853459
do the authorities care if you jwalk in kansas?
city, suburban or rural?
>>
>>1853504
>jwalk
Try harder anon
>>
>>1853515
what am i trying to do?
>>
What I don't really get are those intersections where the button does nothing but makes its so the pedestrian signal switches to green when it would make sense to.
Why not make it turn green everytime it could without pressing the button?
>>
>>1853644
i think no button just holds the light green for the amount of time the sensor senses cars passing then turnes yellow/red
when press the button, it holds the light green long enough for an old person to cross
>>
>>1853644
It makes more sense economically and ecologically to make pedestrians press a button than to have cars, trucks and cycles brake and accelerate at every pedestrian crossing.
>>
>>1853702
I think he's saying that the pedestrian signal should light up whenever it happens to be safe, regardless of whether pedestrians are there or not.
Car traffic would keep doing what it's doing without any change.
>>
>>1853729
no, he's saying there should be a permanent extra phase for pedestrians. which is retarded
>>
File: I dont think so.jpg (18 KB, 213x218)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>1853730
>>
>>1853187
I know only european ones and can still relate to OP.
>>
>>1853702
That's what HAWK beacons are, where they only light up if they're specifically activated, and not at intersections so you don't have to worry about being cut off somewhere.
>>
>>1853729
Having the lights be green for both road traffic and pedestrians would defeat the whole purpose of a traffic light.
>>
>>1853187
What are "european crosswalks"? In Berlin I did experience the idiocy of timed crossings without buttons, but I assume that's just a Berliner retardation.
>>
Lol you actually have buttons at crosswalks? They don't just automatically cycle through? Imagine living in a city with such little pedestrian traffic that that's the solution
>>
>>1853939
The ones with induction loops still need buttons
>>
>>1853939
>annoys pedestrians who just miss the cycle and have to wait (also germans, who will feel the need to wait when there's no traffic)
>annoys drivers who have to wait when there are no pedestrians
this seems like the worst of both worlds
if you want to prioritise foot traffic just have a button controlled crossing with the button given more "weight", so to speak

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.