[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 42 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 19th Birthday 4chan!

With $120k can I afford to live somewhere nice and transit-accessible in Chicago? I don’t want the expense of a car.
>>
Pretty subjective question. Shitcago is like the big fish in the small pond. Lot of people in the area who used to live in Des Moines, Minneapolis, Kansas City etc and think it's "basically a world class city" because there's a little toy train system. The reality is that most people there who don't hang out in urbanism twitter echo chambers will either have a car or want a car because it is a midwestern american city.
>>
Serious replies only from people who have actually been to Chicago please. Thanks
>>
Without having ever been to chicago, nor knowing noffing about it, I would recommend trying to find a place within 2km from a metro stop.
>>
>>1851964
I lived in Lincoln Park for over three years, but if you only want to hear the answer you wanted to hear, then yea, no one has a car there, I mean here. Cuz like, why would you? Only NIMBY boomers would do that.

In a way, Chicago reminds me a lot of Barthelona actually, except a bit more bicycle friendly, maybe like a cross between Barthelona and Amsterdam. The food is world class too. People from all over the world love us for our renowned food scene of deep fried carnival food and 400 kinds of IPA. Also you can enjoy such world renowned gastronomic attractions like the hot dogs and swearing place that was on Conan O'Brian once, the greatest moment in Chicago's incredible history.

Also, $120k? Damm you must be rich son, you're gonna live like Patrick Bateman, except in Chicago, which is basically New York City but better cuz like, we have tomato casserole. Oooh but omg no one eats that chicago pizza! Only tourists! I am qualified to tell you this because I read it on /r/chicago/.
>>
>>1851955
I went to my relatives place in Logan Square. It can be very walkable depending on if you live close to the shops. There's not a lot of bikes there but biking would be fine because the speed of traffic is never really that high. Even better if you can use the 606 trail. Also important to remember that the roads are shit there. Like other anon said Logan square is the same but even better and a bit denser and also costs more money. Downtown isn't actually that far away and something like an ebike or big escoot would be pretty practical. I actually saw an euc rider there and he was going faster than traffic.
>>
>>1851968
Not him, but please tell me the answer he didn't want to hear. I'm curious about American cities.
>>
>>1851955
My cousin and her husband lived there for 6 years. I have visited them a couple of times. They lived in a neighborhood much like your picture and while they used the public transportation almost daily, they had cars and reluctantly found them a necessity.
>>
File: 1640784884409.png (51 KB, 240x232)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>1851955
>somewhere nice...in Chicago?
>>
>>1852091
I recently visited Chicago (for the 2nd time) and was impressed by how nice it is. It could definitely use more bike lanes though.
>>
File: chicago.webm (2.71 MB, 640x800)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB WEBM
>>1852044
>I'm curious about American cities.
Put it this way, every time the media tries to blame a mass shooting on republicans, the standard reply is to point out that the number shot was about a tenth the number of people shot on any given night in Chicago.
>>
>>1852091
>>1852095
Have you guys actually been there? It's actually very nice where I was around. Obviously there are rougher parts but I didn't feel like I was in danger at all when I was there
>>
File: 1637929727976.jpg (146 KB, 634x780)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>1852098
>I didn't feel like I was in danger at all when I was there
>>
>>1852106
You're being brainwashed just don't go to the ghetto
>>
File: 1650518325468.jpg (46 KB, 466x587)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>1852125
>brainwashed by crime statistics
>>
>>1852130
>Yes I fall for jew propaganda and see nothing wrong with it
>>
>>1852131
What even is the thought process of someone who thinks a post like this will persuade anyone?
>>
>>1852137
I could say the same to you
>>
>>1852143
>don't fall for nazi propaganda about diversity, we need a border wall!
>>
OP, do you like Blacks? Are you yourself Black?
(I ask because Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the US.)
>>
>>1852106
Not excusing the violence but Chicago is a city of over 2 million people. It's not hard to find nice areas of the city that aren't seeing murders every other day. Even a city like Baltimore has largely decent areas with fewer violent crimes, and that's a city with less than 600K residents.
>>
I haven't been to chi in twenty years and there is no force that could ever compel me to live there. transfering through ohare is barely tolerable.
>>
>>1852044
The answer he didn’t want to hear was my first replying
>>
>>1852193
Your first reply didn't answer the question, kiddo

Your second reply was an even more irrelevant stream of schizophrenic rambling that also did not answer the question.
>>
>>1852160
>voluntarily moving to a city with no-go zones
>>
>>1851955
Just buy a car, no one will be impressed that you made your life much harder by not owning a vehicle
>>
>>1852214
This. Also, if your bike gets stolen in Chicago you're up shit creek, and good luck filing a police report. At least cars have VINs, so if they happen across it they can get it back to you. If your bicycle gets stolen you'll never see it again.
>>
>>1852197
Reading is fundamental
>>
every chicago thread must feature at least one jaded transplant from appleton WI (or something like that) who moved to lincoln park or river north after college and lived in the city for like five years yet somehow has figured the whole place out. this is despite never being west of pulaski or interacting with anyone aside from the other transplants like them. literally the worst source of information on the city, their chad and trixie lifestyle being what gets stale instead of the place they are doing it.

that said the city is seriously collapsing. not even memeing. lightfoot took over and put incompetent black women in charge of everything. literally every single department of the city is run by diversity hires. its a true disaster, everyone is fleeing. even the bears are trying to get out.
>>
File: 1645618382579.jpg (26 KB, 450x328)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>1852301
>even the bears are trying to get out.
lolwut?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022/9/8/23343652/chicago-bears-stadium-dome-arlington-heights-soldier-field-george-mccaskey-ted-phillips

bahahahahahahahahha
>>
I went to Chicago for 2 months for some consultation work, and lived in Edgewater (slightly east of Andersonville). While I loved that there was a park, Mariano's, and a beach so close by, the L has got to be one of the most badly run system I've encountered. I don't fully blame the CTA, because I assume politicians like to piss around with money and make the system anemic. The Red Line in particular is supposed to have 8 minute headway during rush hour, but I end up waiting 15-20 minutes usually. Crumbling infrastructure, and piss poor stations. You guys deserve better. I would go back to visit, but I wouldn't live there.
>>
>>1851955
For $120k, I hope your definition of nice is very broad.
>>
>>1852301
Can someone explain to me why all the culturally diverse Chicagoans are moving to Minneapolis and Milwaukee to inflate crime statistics in those cities? The going theory is they "flee the bullshit" in Chicago's shittier neighborhoods, but really they just bring that crap to everywhere else in the Midwest.
>>
>>1852444
Cagetroll detected, ugh can we get a real answer from someone who has actually been to Chicago?
>>
>>1852652
>valid criticism based off my own experience
>"muh cagetroll"
Damn, you're really that sensitive, huh? You can't fix your transit woes if you're constantly in denial of how much of a poor state the CTA is in.
>>
>>1852198
>living in a country with no go zones
>>
>>1852615
the best of the worst goes to a better place to flee the worst of the worst, making the better place worse.
>>
Cagetrolls seething
>>
>>1852130
And those statistics tell you not to live in the ghetto.... are you a bit slow anon?
>>
>>1852044
>Not him, but please tell me the answer he didn't want to hear. I'm curious about American cities.

If he lives on the North Shore and pays $2500 a month he can easily get around car free using transit. Anywhere in the downtown area as well but wrigleyville/north shore is where a lot of young people live.

As someone pointed out peak Chicago is having a car, riding the train, and riding your bike. Unless you live downtown or in wrigleyville or north shore you won't pay much to park. If you rent a first ring suburban house you'll have a 2 car garage and train access.
>>
>>1852044
>I'm curious about American cities.

Chicago is one of the few modernist cities in the USA. The tallest building in America is there and the downtown has that steel and glass look of modernist international skyscapers.

The City has always been segregated. The North End is wealthier and white. The South Side is black. There are so many black people because in the 1940s they came up from the south to work industrial jobs to escape the Jim Crow south.

Chicago is the US's Bond Trading capital. They trade more bonds in Chicago than they do in London. There are a lot of people in finance and that starting salary goes farther in Chicago than in NY, SF, or MIA.

Chicago is the largest of the Great Lakes Cities in the US and Canada (Milwaukee, Toronto, Cleveland, Chicago, Buffalo) and probably the most fun.

Chicago has a high murder and violent crime overall and as a percentage of population. Overall it's has the most murders in America. Per Capita it's the top 10 most dangerous cities (the top 10 will surprise you, not all shitholes).

It's a beautiful and modern city where people are wealthy. The weather can be extreme. Of foreign cities I've been to I say it most resembles Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
>>
>>1852764
>tallest building in America
I'm pretty sure that's the One World Trade Center in NYC.
>>
>>1851955
100% unironic here
I would seriously recomend that you only use your car and lock the doors and not use public transport in that city
>>
You could get around perfectly fine with just a bike, bikeshare/scootershare app, transit, and the occasional Uber.
The only problem is there isn't a lot of bike infrastructure in the Loop.
>>
>>1852916
Yeah it is. Willis/sears is a thicc black boi though. Its still mostly empty I assume sears left in the 90s.
>>
>>1851955
Current chicago resident, live in Wrigley - like everyone my age. Moved here midway through last year from Florida making about 40k less than you (right out of college).

Fucking love it.
>can walk to gym
>can walk to grocery store
>can walk to bars
>can walk to barber
>can walk to stores/shops
>can walk to coffee when I dont make it at home
>can walk to train and train ride to downtown is 20 mins
And my rent is 750. My girlfriend and I are moving into a place next year and rent will be about 1k each but thats for a nice, managed apartment assuming the market doesnt change, and chicago is a very stable market housing-wise.

Definitely going to be here long term. What other large city can you live in in the US with all of those walking-distance amenities at that price? I can't think of one. Buy a nice winter coat and you'll love it too.
>>
File: Chicago danger index.png (1.35 MB, 938x795)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
>>1853043
Also, coming from a white guy who lives on the north side so take that with a grain of salt, assuming you're fairly similar to me, I would consider the areas in green. Yellow is kind of the area I would go to for dinner/during the day but wouldn't live in. Red are areas I'd avoid entirely.

And the loop is in Orange - it's great to work there, but I wouldn't live there. Its a ghost town after 5. Would love some locals/native chicagoans to chime in and see where I'm wrong, as Im sure there are some places I've mislabeled.
>>
>>1853045
Is green the cracker enclave then?
>>
>>1853058
Not him, but for the most part yea. Then you also have the overwhelmingly white suburbs that surround the city which is where the bulk of the chicagoland metro lives.
>>
>>1853043
>>1853045

Ok sweet I'm gonna check those areas out.
Everyone I know who lives in Chicago has no plans to move, it seems like a better quality of life for the money than NYC.
>>
>>1852652
You are on one of the most pro public transit boards on the internet, and you got 0 (ZERO) replies talking positively about Chicago.
>>1852710
Pathetic, really. You don't have to be a cagey to admit Shitcago is shit.
>>
>>1853084
>You don't have to be a cagey to admit Shitcago is shit.
There's at least one (me) that loves it here, where do you live that's so much better?

Additionally, long-term, the suburbs around the city are dense, walkable, centered around transit (commuter rail) and arguably really comfy. I certainly wont live in the city for the rest of my life so there are plenty of options here.

Also - when were you in Andersonville? The RPM project has/is renovating/modernizing all of those northside red/purple line stations where you would have been.
>>
>>1853080
>it seems like a better quality of life for the money than NYC.
Without a doubt. There's much more of a hustle culture in New York in comparison to Chicago, so if that's your thing you'd appreciate New York more. It's much more laid back here.

If you're just looking to live in an urban setting with good transit, decent people, walkable amenities, and lots of things to do - there is no better value in the country than the north side of Chicago.
>>
Chicago has one of the best transit networks in the world. More and more people are waking up to the FACT that the future hinges on the end of cage bullies. And they can’t do anything but seethe. Poor little cagies didn’t have a chance. I almost feel bad for them.
>>
Also working on a concept for extending the brown line to intersect with the blue line

It's a complete no-brainer - it takes pressure off and adds capacity to the blue line in its busiest section and connects the north side to o'hare. absolutely nuts they arent even considering this
>>
Unironically, what is going on in Chicago? Talk of a bunch of criminals being released from prison and cops no longer being able to detain people for murder?
>>
>>1853109
State govt is trying to eliminate cash bail to make it more "equitable". COMPLETE bullshit. It's already being challenged in courts and insane. I highly doubt it will ever actually go into effect.
>>
File: 1662196009785362.jpg (238 KB, 1000x1000)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>1853102
>one of the best transit networks in the world
>Chicago
absolutely deluded
>>
>>1853109
everything but first degree murder, and you're out until you're convicted.
>>
>>1853120
Chicago has one of the transit networks in the world, at least.
>>
>>1853084
You are a cagetroll who just replied to other shitposts by cagetrolls. Jesus you are retarded.
This is why people say cagetrolls have a learning disability.
>>
File: paulinabrownline.jpg (1.11 MB, 4032x3024)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
I live right by the paulina brown line stop and it's a pretty great area to live in if you're in the city. There's a gym that's $10/mo a block away, a whole foods/jewel/trader joes for groceries within a 10 min walk, close to the highway if you're driving, and you're next to the brownline which is, by far, the cleanest/safest train on the CTA. Rent is pretty high comparatively but you can find a 2-bed in a walkup for around 2k/mo. Obviously newer construction is going to cost you more.

Lots of nice restaurants here too. You're also one stop away from the Southport Corridor - where my last place was - and there's a lot of great shopping/restaurants there too.
>>
>>1852615
for decades chicago, under mayoral orders, would round up ghetto trash that the cops they couldn't pin charges on and just drive them to des moines, madison, minneapolis, indy, etc. in paddywagons. drop them off and tell them good luck.

problem is it ruined those places and the comparative trickle of people they were displacing from chicago meant that the effect was like trying to bail out a sinking titantic with a bucket from home depot. now these people still have family back in chicago and they all sort of move freely between these areas.
>>
>>1853045
the best places to live in chicago you didn't fill in at all. sauganash, norwood park, evergreen park etc.
>>
>>1853329
Those are all good areas, one of my good friends is from Norwood Park. specifically for the purpose of this board, I limited the green to the most transit-dense areas.

Additionally, norwood park, sauganash, and evergreen park are all outside of city limits iirc
>>
>>1853330
I was thinking of norridge, all three of those are within city limits. I concede
>>
If you’re moving to Chicago see if you can get an ADU. They stated a pilot program and got a lot of applications on the north side.
Honestly $120k is plenty for Chicago, CoL is quite low for a major city.
>>
>>1853320
Do you see a decent amount of new construction around Chicago?
I noticed a few towers going up next to the river but didn’t explore other areas.

Btw what is the west side like? Everyone only talks about north, south and the Loop.
>>
File: the78.jpg (219 KB, 1200x800)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>1853357
>Do you see a decent amount of new construction around Chicago?
I noticed a few towers going up next to the river but didn’t explore other areas.
Yes, lots, albeit small-scale. Chicago is exceptionally dense for an American city and every lot supports at a minimum 2-3 units, so most construction is on small-scale multifamily. Larger, especially TOD projects are common.

Larger-scale projects to look at for the next few years
>Lincoln Yards
Redeveloping several hundred acres of formerly industrial land along the Chicago River between Lincoln Park and Wicker Park

>The 78
Similar high-rise development on formerly industrial land in South Loop(pic rel)

>>1853357
>Btw what is the west side like? Everyone only talks about north, south and the Loop.
Bad. Really bad.
The west side - Garfield Park, Humboldt Park, Austin, Cicero - extremely dangerous. Possibly worse than the South Side.

West loop, due west of the loop, is a very nice area though.
>>
>>1853320
That area of Lakeview is easily one of the best "vanilla" parts of Chicago, around Paulina for residential, Southport corridor for high brow corpo lifestyle, Belmont and Sheffield for low brow hipster hang, Roscoe Village for modest small town feels without leaving the big city.
>>1853357
>>1853419
West Loop is booming because of the corpos moving in, basically a new tower being built on every block, new hip bars aiming at yuppies everywhere. I'd even argue there's going to me way more corpos in West Loop than The Loop within 2-3 years. The other areas, not so much. Lincoln Yards is still like a decade away. I heard 'they' want to redevelop Cabrini but Cabrini is still Cabrini, nowhere as ghetto as it used to be though. River North has no space to develop and The Loop has nothing but tourist traps and old offices and we don't get as much tourists as much as corpo transplants. Wicker and Logan have gone full circle, they were once cool and hip but corpos came in and took most of the soul out of Wicker and Logan, now it's a place where yuppie corpos pretend to still the hipster they used to be before selling out.

My personal favorite spot is Belmont and Sheffield, not trendy like West Loop and not uppity like River North. The area is like that low key loser kid overshadowed by the fancier neighboring areas but once you know that loser kid, you realize he's actually cool. The Vic, Berlin, Trader Todd's, Cheesie's, Osmium, and Barangaroos, near Diversey is Replay Barcade. Great area
>Btw what is the west side like?
>Bad. Really bad.
>Possibly worse than the South Side.
this, don't go to the west side if you don't know the west side. I can vouch for saying that the west side is possibly worst than the south side, especially now that huge parts of the south side got redeveloped (wish I could talk about the south side but I'm a born and raised and still living in the north and I stay in the north)
>>
Lmao, it’s incredible how much this thread triggered the cagetrolls.
Do cagetrolls come to this board just to get insanely asshurt? Find a hobby dude.
>>
>>1852094
>I recently visited Chicago
During the winter? Yeah, thought so.
>>
>>1853679
What are you on about? the summer is the best time to visit
>>
>>1853456
>My personal favorite spot is Belmont and Sheffield, not trendy like West Loop and not uppity like River North. The area is like that low key loser kid overshadowed by the fancier neighboring areas but once you know that loser kid, you realize he's actually cool. The Vic, Berlin, Trader Todd's, Cheesie's, Osmium, and Barangaroos, near Diversey is Replay Barcade. Great area
Quiet. This is where Im looking to buy next year.
>>
File: chicagoracialmakeup.jpg (3.61 MB, 2364x3095)
3.61 MB
3.61 MB JPG
>>1853045
>>1853058
I think I've seen this map before
>>
>>1853688
Oh yeah it's an awesome spot, walking distance to Wrigley for all the sports bars, middle tier food, and hot girls but still far enough away from that tourist trap. If Wrigley is not your thing, the other side there's the 5 corner intersection at Diversey and Clark, some real good food there and Broadway. To top it all off, Belmont and Sheffield has the Brown, Purple, and Red lines at the newly renovated station and the new Red-Purple bypass reduced rail noise significantly.
>>
>>1853692
I forgot to mention however, if you own a car in that area and don't have a garage, good luck on parking.
>>
>>1853693
When I initially had my car up here last week, it would take about 15 mins to find a space when I got home.

I drove it home to FL last year and haven't needed it since. The only times I have to leave the city are
>to go to my company's suburban office location (I usually work downtown)
>to go to my girlfriends' parents house (we'll just take her car)
>to go to ohare (take the blue line)

This is probably one of maybe 5 cities in the country where you can reliably get by without a car and the ONLY one where the cost you forego with a car is immediately eaten up by housing. A massive incentive in my opinion
>>
Chicago has a good train system, and I can say for sure one of the only American cities where you can get by without it, although you may need a car for certain tasks. Depending on how you want to do it, renting is what I did before marrying into a car contract. Before that I lived without a car for 7 years and just rented one when I needed it. Helps that my company gives me cheap rentals, though. Also there's Uber and Uhaul for your other tasks.

For the best bang for your buck without living in a ghetto/gentrifying neighborhood, I'd recommend buying right away in Jefferson Park. Yes, buy a place now. You'll get a decent ROI and transportation options are great, but the area is a bit boring. Plenty of other good options that aren't ghetto already mentioned, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, South Loop, etc. If you want to get dicey, Uptown is gentrifying so fast the white people are concerned. Be real brave and buy by the Western Blue Line (Forest Park Branch).

You don't really need to worry about being shot, it's primarily gang violence. JPark is full of political righters as well as near where some cops live, practically a sundown town. Lots of idiots in this thread probably living in a more dangerous area than 50% of Chicago. Yes, Lori sucks but she'll be out in Spring.

Stay East of Western Ave unless you're North of North Ave.

Further reading:
https://old.reddit.com/r/ChicagoNWside/
https://hoodmaps.com/chicago-neighborhood-map
>>
>>1853737
>living in ze bugs und ze pod city life to this extent
sad
>>
File: redditor.png (222 KB, 600x598)
222 KB
222 KB PNG
>>1853749
Go back faggot
>>
>>1851955
>With $120k can I afford to
> in Chicago?
Yes, obviously, unless you're trying to live in one of the really nice neighborhoods.
>>
i hate rich ppl
>>
>>1851955
120k is plenty to live really comfortably in Chicago.

Great neighborhoods
>Lincoln Park
>Lakeview East
>Lincoln Square
>Ravenswood
>Andersonville
>Edgewater

Andersonville/Edgewater less urban than the others but all your amenities are still walking distance. I prefer these neighborhoods for being quieter but still lively.

Andersonville has gotten real expensive though. Condos are comparable to River North which is just insane to me. Which is why I recommend:

Edgewater. Close to the red line, close to the lake, all the amenities you need in a city, easy access to other neighborhoods (red line). Diverse in a good way, not in a scary way. I think the restaurants in Edgewater are better than the ones in "trendy" Andersonville.

One thing that kinda sucks about Lincoln Park and Lakeview is that you're either close to the lake, or close to the train. You can't have both. The express buses along LSD are nice for commuting but not for everyday getting around. Hence, why I like Edgewater so much.

You can absolutely get by without a car if you stick to the red line and brown line corridors. I moved here with a car and I'm selling it soon. I never use it. It's more hassle than it's worth.

If you're so sensitive that you can't handle the occasional crazy and if black people "scare you" then you probably have no business in a big city anyway. I've seen some shit on the red line, but never to the point I felt my personal safety was threatened. And if it is, just change cars. Super easy fix.

It's not perfect, but for the things I prioritize (walkability, access to transit, awesome people, plenty of things to do), my quality of life is much higher here than other cities I've lived (Seattle, Vancouver, Austin). I highly recommend Chicago
>>
>>1853950
Uptown between Ravenswood/Edgewater/Andersonville is pretty nice as well and much cheaper to rent/buy than all of the above. That's where I live. Only issue is my gym isnt walking distance and that's annoying
>>
Coming from an outsider - what do you think is the next neighborhood in chicago to Gentrify?

For example - where could I buy a 2-3 bedroom apartment for a reasonable price (under, say, 400k) and see some growth over the next 10ish years?
>>
>>1854802
east Garfield park.

The problem is its still pretty damn sketchy and I wouldn't live there. They are going to gentrify at some point jn the next 10 years and it is going to happen very quickly when it does.
>>
>>1853749
Thanks for the informative reply man. I’ll check that out.
>>
>>1851955
Why are architects so utterly incapable of constructing new houses that don’t look awful?
The only exceptions to this rule I’ve ever seen are Philadelphia and Seattle. Both are actually building houses that look nicer and don’t bulldoze shit for big roads and parking lots. They suit the setting instead of making the setting suit them.
>>
>>1855624
pored concrete is cheep
>>
>>1855574
>Garfield park
You're better off gambling on Cabrini than Garfield, at least Cabrini is close to River North and there's A LOT of space to be developed without the gangs of the West Side right on your park. ROI will be sooner but Garfield Park will yield bigger when it does get gentrified. My bets would be placed on Avondale, Ravenswood, or Albany Park.
>>
>>1851955
>With $120k can I afford to live somewhere nice and transit-accessible in Chicago?
Yes plenty. Look around and getting a nice apartment in a nice area for 1700-2000 should be doable.
>>
>>1855640

Avondale is already gentrified. Belmont Craigin, next to Avondale is on it's way, but transit options are worse.

Ravenswood has been gentrified for many years. Rahm lived there.

Albany Park kind of depends where you are. Too late to be close to Brown line (ravenswood manor moreso anyway), but there's a few major streets that make the bus a decent option. If you are far west, Blue Line becomes an option but then you're into Mayfair/krazy K's anyway.
>>
>There's not a lot of bikes there but biking would be fine because the speed of traffic is never really that high

Neither of these statements are true. The city is currently up in arms because they wanted to reduce speed limit camera trigger from 10 miles over to 5 miles over the speedlimit.
>>
>>1851955
You want to live in fucking Chiraq - a Democrat run city with some of the strictest gun laws in the country, paradoxically some of the highest rates of murder on the continent, paying extra taxes, during a time where there may very well be a second civil war soon and if it happened the people in the cities would be the first to suffer?

Nigga...
>>
>>1856333

Chicago property taxes are actually lower than the surrounding area's, and IL income tax is still flat rate (for now). That's why so many millionaires live in Chicago.

The taxes are what pay for the good (for American city) train systems. Paradoxically complaining about the taxes that fund the working trainsystem on /n/.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/business/2022/4/5/23012195/chicago-area-gets-a-greater-share-in-forbes-billionaire-ranking
>>
>>1851964
I live in the western suburbs renting. I have a job that pays 85k plus bonus a year and i have tons of money left over. Burbs are comfy and remind me of home. Take the BNSF west green line metra three days a week, it's great. Trip average with my usage is about 4 bucks. Still own a car and just bought a bike I'm gonna use to explore.
>>
>>1852444
Also stayed in Edgewater for a bit. Chicago is miserable during the winter and the red line is a shithole. There's less homeless than in Seattle, but the ones in Chicago are more obnoxious and likely to harass you, and virtually every non-homeless person has this look of resentment constantly in their eyes. It's seriously depressing.
>>
Met an Indian
from Saskatchewan
in Barcelona
told me to check out
Chicago land
where he'd been a student.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.