[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 16 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

In order to get to the main park of my city, or even just to go on the panoramic coastline (main place to go on a bike) I need to go on a very steep and long road (11km, can't tell you how steep precisely). Now when I had an e-bike this was no problem, but now I'm planning of getting a real bike and I'm wondering if this could be possible without getting on top as a panting pool of sweat. Is that possible for someone who isn't much trained legwise? I do decently in cardio at the gym although I don't do it much since it kills gains.
>>
yes, you just need low enough gears and a reasonably efficient bike.
>>
>>1849819
You definitely are going to get sweaty if it's really steep. Consider using your ebike but with a lower level of assistance if you want to do the effort
>>
>>1849819
Climbing is fun and easy if you have the right gearing and tires.

Whether you can do it without being soaked in sweat has mostly to do with the climate in your area. If it's 98 F and 100% humidity sorry bub no bike is going to save you.
>>
>>1849819
You could try getting one of those stealthy ebikes that aren't too heavy and only turn the motor on for the hill
>>
>>1849819
>cardio kills gains
I which this retarded fucking meme would die already
Youre going to get sweaty untill youve done the trip enough times that your body adpats to it and get fitter
>>
>>1850367
muscle wasting only happens if you're body doesn't have the protein to repair the muscles. The solution is just to take in more protein
>>
File: 20220908_140524.jpg (826 KB, 2048x1152)
826 KB
826 KB JPG
>>1849819
climbing steep as fuck hills is my specialty and i build all my bikes for that purpose, people will go on and on about weight and shit but all that does is make faster up hill it doesnt make it easier
for mountain climbing you need proper low gearing
id reccomend a bike with 2x or 3x drivetrain so you can install a tiny granny gear if it doesnt already have one and replace the cassette with a bigger one and a derailleur hanger extender and maybe a longer cage in the deraileur if it needs it, chain will need extending too
this is the 34t i replaced with an aliexpress 50t and the hanger was included and a 22t chainring
this is for my fat fren who struggles on even shallow hills and the hills round here are fucking steep, previous owner did an awful 1x conversion on his bike with a 38t chainring, sad cos it was a really nice drivetrain once apon a time
anyway with these upgrades lardass can now spin up the steepest hills easily
im also in the process of upgrading my ancient junkbike from a 28t to a 34t freewheel and installing a 20t chainring which should be breddy nice
if you have an 8 speed cassette the biggest you can get is 46t which is still pretty good but those extra 4 teeth are nice, upgrading from 8 to 9 is also easy but you need to replace the shifter too
dont bother with anything bigger than 9 as itl be an insane amount of money for only an extra 2 teeth
>>
>>1849819
i should also mention there is technique to climbing its about going slow maintaining momentum and conserving energy
youl have the temptation to pick a gear too hard and to try to push your way up the hill to get up there faster or at a lower cadance but youl just exhaust yourself and itl get painful and you simply wont make it
pick a gear easier than what feels right and maintain a high cadance and the moment it starts feeling harder go down a gear, if you wait too late to downshift youl bog down and loose speed and need to crunch down several gears under load or loose your momentum
and just dont rush, it doesnt matter if your bike is moving at walking pace its still more efficient than walking just keep spinning keep the gears easy and youl eventually make it to the top
also bring lots of water and protien filled snacks
climbing is ez when your equipped and dont rush it
>>
>>1850510
I have a 400 foot climb that I take frequently that's about a grade 8 but gets as high as 13 in several areas, and i take it in the granny gear at like 7mph, meanwhile the lycra guys are zooming up that thing at 13-15 mph and they don't even seem to be breaking a sweat, how do I get to be like them? Don't say lose weight I'm 173cm and 62kg.
>>
>>1850532
extreme amounts of suffering and blowing up on climbs until you overcome them
actually the fastest you'll be able to climb and the furthest you'll be able to push your limits is on someone stronger than you's wheel. When there's no mental calculations beyond 'i am not getting dropped at any cost' you go into like this brainless trance with mad abilities.
>>
>>1850533
So just keep my heart rate pegged at 180bpm the whole way?
>>
>>1850534
yeah maybe not lol
>>
>>1850532
trust me you dont wanna do it like them
it takes years of obsessive training and an expensive lightweight bike to do it like that, those guys are athletes and even then they couldnt keep that up for long
speed is not the same thing as efficiency
>>
>>1850552
Come on that's like saying "money isn't everything" from the poop deck of your benetti yacht. You're saying if someone handed you a pill and said take this and you'll be able to double your sprinting capacity you wouldn't jump at the chance?

That kind of speed is not the bike, I am certain that if you put them on an exact copy of my 9.5kg garbage barge they'd still destroy my maximum effort while looking completely bored. Obviously I'd like to also have some handmade mountain goat frame with "Huez" in the name and obscenely expensive wheels because who doesn't like nice stuff, but if it's a fancy bike and my shit body or my shit bike and superhuman climbing skills I'll take the latter any day
>>
>>1850625
its both and either way they arent riding like that as a way of getting places they are athletes training for races n shit
you dont run everywhere do you lol
just get low gearing on your bike and spin to the top ignore the lycraclad carbon fibre racetards
>>
>>1850720
No but I run up stairs, I am physically incapable of taking stairs at a normal turtle speed, it drives me crazy
>>
>>1850778
yeah but could u do that for long
just try doing that steep 11k ride and see if you can do it youl be wishing you had lower gearing eventually
trust me swapping gears out is ez what kind of bike are you planning on getting?
>>
>>1849819
>Cardio kills gains
This only applies to elite body builders doing multiple training sessions a day. If you're like the average person, you can easily work both strength and endurance. Just split the endurance workout from the strength workout.

For sweat management just wear breathable cycling kits.
>>
>>1851733
I don't know which 11k ride you mean. I'll usually climb in 34-34 which is enough for me. I climbed ventoux in 34-32 before I had my current bike and even that was adequate, I wasn't exactly wishing I had lower gears, though I was wishing I had brought more water. Low enough gearing is not the issue. Strong enough me is the issue. Trust me I'd love a climber-oriented hyperbike but the bike is not the main issue here. For a board that shits on people who consoom consoom consoom you guys sure are hell bent on trying to tell me the bike is the problem.
>>
>>1851890
it's almost as if /n/ is more than one person
>>
>>1851890
>hyperbike
bruh its a cheap upgrade its like $30
>>
File: 166275326930271588.jpg (224 KB, 1080x2400)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
>>1849819
I rode my steel 21sp Avanti out to mangamahoe on my own when I was 13 it's not that hard get gud faggot.
>>
>>1852228
>what is derailleur length
Please don't give bike advice anymore
>>
>>1852261
>what is a wolftooth roadlink
>>
>>1852264
>bro just make a gimpy frankenbike that can’t use half the cassette
>>
>>1852277
now you're just grasping, thread hidden
>>
File: 20220921_161004.jpg (1.33 MB, 2048x1152)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
>>1852277
im the anon that built the franken bike it works perfectly fine, it costed fuck all as its aliexpress componants the whole cassette works and i can spin my way up any hill no matter how steep while carrying shit and im fucking anorexic, im also not soaked in sweat at the top
just go try to do that climb and see how far you get before you dont even have the energy to get off and push
pic related is the bike i built for my fat fren and even he has no issues climbing with this upgrade
also id reccomend gettig a longer hanger if you go for a 50t like this as i had to use 2 shorter ones to make it work as a temporery hack
new long one is on its way so it wont look as fucked soon
you also probably dont need to go as extreme as i have i only did this because i live in rural bongland where its extremely steep hills everywhere and we do it offroad mostly
you could also just put a smaller granny gear on your bike
whatever gets your gear ratio low enough
>>
>>1852237
yeah in the prime of your youth lol
>>
>>1852261
deraillier length isnt much of a factor
a hanger extention will make room for the sprocket and the cage only needs to be replaced with a longer one if you find the chain going slack when on the smallest sprocket combination
anyway post bike and il help u figure out what would work for u again u probably dont need to go extreme u just need a good hill gear
>>
File: ez.jpg (8 KB, 370x163)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
26 gear inches bby
>>
>>1849819
>kills gains
stop being a retard
>>
>>1852237
>mostly flat
wew impressive ride, lad.
>>
>>1852237
Just saying, OP is making it out to be a real ordeal. It's not. Any bike could do it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.