[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 72 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: shimano.webm (2.86 MB, 960x540)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB WEBM
Whats the thing about bicycles that annoys you the most?

>brake pad moves as you tighten it
>>
>>1843610
Finding the right seat height.
>>
>>1843610

Squeeze the brake lever against the rim to hold the pad in position as you tighten it - assuming you're talking about rim brakes, and not those rubbing, squealing, bleeding, adjusting, aligning, overheating, faster-wearing, sticky-piston-having, weight-increasing, frame-stiffening, drag-increasing, spoke-stressing, cost-doubling meme braeks that you have to throw out if you so much as brush against it with your finger.
>>
>>1843620
>pulls his brake lever
>continues rolling into traffic and dies
Ah, rim brake life is perfection.
>>
>>1843610
grease the bolt threads
>>
>>1843610

Anyone got a source for the story behind this webm?
>>
>>1843620
>>1843631
still does it
>>
>>1843634
grease the washers (the smooth ones)
>>
>>1843641
still does it
>>
>>1843620
I use a coaster brake.
>>
>>1843610
just tilt it the other way before tightening to compensate
>>
>>1843628
>he doesn't ride fixed
>>
>>1843610
what's happening in this video?
>>
>>1843620
disc brakes are silent lad
>>
>>1843691
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL
>>
File: 1659485538279.webm (763 KB, 1280x720)
763 KB
763 KB WEBM
>>1843628
>has only ever used walmart rim brakes
>>
>>1843691
bahahahahahahahahahahaha

https://streamable.com/2xs4lh
>>
Locking them.

I rarely stop anywhere while out for a ride since locking is such a hassle.
>>
>>1843620
>weight-increasing, drag-increasing
you muh grams niggers need to fuck off
come to think of it /p/ is the same with gearfagging and /g/ with benchmark fagging, stop getting obsessed over numbers you dumb fucks
>>
>>1843610
sidewall tears
>>
>>1843766
I have a bike sepcifically set up for locking up, i use that bike whenever I'm planning on leaving the bike unattended in any area known to be frequented by third worlders and other thieving scum. It's a lovely bike to ride, I set all my bikes up well, it's old but the frame is top end steel tubing from the 90s, the group is all XT or DX etc, however it has been made to look like shit, I rarely wash it, the saddle while comfortable is tatty af, both wheels are bolted to the frame, no QR for the seatpost either, cables are mismatched as are the tyres and grips, the decals are in awful condition with some peeling away from the frame.

I don't want it to be stolen, I love it, riding it is actually a lot of fun because I really don't hold back, something liberating about not caring about chips and scratches etc, but if it ever is stolen I'll survive, it cost me like $200 so no drama. But to steal it would require effort, and because it looks so shitty to the untrained eye no theif will give it a second look anyway.

So that's the only bike I ever lock up, a simple chain and padlock through the frame, my other bikes are for bikepacking, trekking and cruising, situations where I am highly unlikely to leave the bike unattended at any point.

It's something I recommend al cyclists do, have one bike that is a cracking little rider but that has no emotional or sentimental hold over you, make it as unstealable and as visually unappealing as you can and take the stress out of mission trips into the infested city.
>>
>>1843703
I have never seen a bike frontflip like this, usually when I brake hard the back fishtails but that's about it. Fuck that car for not signaling though.
>>
>>1843634
>>1843643
put counter-pressure on the brake in the opposite direction it would be turning as you turn the hex key. if you say it still does it after this, you're gay and weaker than a baby. might take a bit of finessing as you figure the correct amount of counter-pressure to apply relative to how hard you're turning the bolt but i've had good results doing it like this.
>>
>>1843802
>put counter-pressure on the brake in the opposite direction it would be turning as you turn the hex key.

brake pad*

ie if you're turning the bolt clockwise, causing the brake pad to pitch down towards the ground, apply pressure in the opposite direction using your fingers.
>>
>>1843620
rim brakes stop you wherever you want whenever you want, anyone saying otherwise is a dumbass who doesn't know how to set up their brakes and performance is improved further by upgrading your pads. the only leg disc niggers have to stand on is when it comes to wet conditions where admittedly, rim brakes aren't that great braking in the pouring rain, and in the case of carbon rims, in which case rim brake performance suffers.
>>
>>1843805
>>1843628

was meant for this fag
>>
>>1843703
>not leaning back while braking.
Disks would have stopped. Rimjobs would have made him slam into the car.
>>
>>1843829
pretty hard to lean back when you've got less than half a second to react bud
>>
>>1843610
Adjusting the bar azimuth.
>0.005 degrees to the left?
>too much!
>0.002 degrees to the right?
>too little!
>>
>>1843696
>>1843704
stop oiling your rotors you cunt
>>
>>1843832
Oh, well in that case the laws of physics will forgive you. Psyche! Drill that shit or die.
>>
>>1843610
>Whats the thing about bicycles that annoys you the most?
MY FUCKING TUBES KEEP GETTING PUNCTURES THAT I CAN'T PATCH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>1843703
...why not just... steer slightly left....
>>
>>1843838
i bet it takes you more than 200ms to click a flashing light here
https://humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/
if moving your finger took you roughly one quarter of a second, what makes you think you will shift your entire body backwards in half a second?
i always lean back but in that video he had no chance to do shit
>>
>>1843848
If I hit the brakes half a second after you and I brake correctly then we don't crash. I've tested this theory extensively tailgating people in my cage.
>>
>>1843610
>get a tiny tube puncture
>it's right by the fucking valve
>>
>>1843847

.. and into following traffic. noob
>>
>>1843858
he was going the exact speed of traffic lmao
>>
>>1843856
How’s this for an idea? A combination of the aggressive chemical in rubber cement that forces the tube to galvanise paired with a rubber kept liquid by a volatile solvent. The idea being a patchless seal that’s as strong as a patch. Then you could fix valve adjacent punctures.
>>
>mtb
Things that have absolutely no business going off road are marketed as offroad vehicles.

>road bike
Having to share the road with motor vehicles.

>>1843610
Also what the fuck is going on in this vid?
>>
>>1843632
>>1843866
>Nathan Van Hooydonck was involved in a bizarre incident during the second stage of Belgium Tour after a neutral service mechanic refused to give him a spare wheel when he needed it.

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/van-hooydonck-baloise-belgium-tour/

https://cycling.today/belgian-cyclist-gets-angry-as-mechanic-refuses-to-give-him-spare-wheel/
>>
File: monstrosity.jpg (369 KB, 800x802)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
>inner tubes are still not puncture-proof in 2022
>derailleurs are still trash in 2022
>there's no shimano 5-speed inner hub with 2 external cogs, one for cruising and one for climbing, but there's a "classified power shift" with 9 external cogs and just 2 inner gears and it's expensive as hell
>pinion came up with a geared bottom bracket that resembles the gearbox of a motorcycle, but isn't as cheap as one and it's also non-standard as fuck
>there's no small front hub with a motor both for regenerative braking and for giving a small 200w boost when going uphills

What triggers me the most is when people defend any of this nonsense saying "oh it's more efficient/cheaper".
>>
>>1843872
This explains nothing
>>
>>1843877

I would have thought it was pretty clear, but, the rider got a flat and wanted a new wheel. When the shimano neutral service car stopped to give him one, the rider threw his old wheel in frustration, probably not intentionally towards the shimano car/guys, but still they didn't appreciate having shit thrown at them, so they said 'actually fuck you we're not giving you a replacement wheel now' and he had a little tantrum.

Based Shimano yet again dabbing on everyone else.
>>
I keep falling for parts and configurations that are marketed as more maintenance free but end up requiring more maintenance.

>old bike
>derailleur
>absolutely neglect it and it still lasts 20 years

>new bike
>internal gear hub
>no derailleur to auto tighten the chain, instead it has a fucking eccentric bottom bracket that keeps creaking and moving over time and makes the chain slack and come off
>rear wheel is a pain to remove
>apparently the fucking hub needs the lubrication fluid cycled regularly which I'm yet to even attempt
>some gears are noisy as fuck but apparently "that's just the way it's supposed to be"

Absolute load of horse shit. Internal gear hub never fucking again. Shimano Alfine suck my dick.
>>
>>1843880
What a sensitive little snowflake.
>>
>>1843875
>derailleurs are still trash

And this is why my road bike has one gear and one speed
>>
>>1843880
haha. good for them
>>
>>1843875
>posts a hyper efficient and mechanically simple drivetrain as his example of a candidate to be replaced by an electrically assisted gearbox
The low intelligence of some posters on this board boggles the mind.
>>
>>1843875
sturmey archer has 3 speed hub with cassette
>>
>>1843882
>>no derailleur to auto tighten the chain, instead it has a fucking eccentric bottom bracket that keeps creaking and moving over time and makes the chain slack and come off
lmao you got played with that. a single speed frame (yes I know IGH literally isn't single speed but bear with me) should have track fork ends, end of argument. And even if it does have vertical dropouts, they should fit a chain tensioner, which you can do with everything but fixed gear. post the bike lad I need a chuckle. I bet it has a RD hanger just... uhh... hanging... there
if it does, fit a chain tensioner and ditch the meme bottom bracket
>>
>>1843829
Dicks would have made him overend worse and probably snap his neck. Fucking consumer.
>>
>>1843888
>he missed the point
>>
File: Capture.jpg (20 KB, 371x373)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>1843829
>>not leaning back while braking.
He is pitching his weight back/ bracing correctly. His arms are basically at full lock the whole time.
>>
>>1843894
It's only 75% 100% 133%, but that's close to what I neeeeed
>>
>>1843799
If you pull your front brake hard, you're bracing with your weight back, and you can't lift the rear wheel, then your brakes aren't powerful enough.
Fishtailing means you're almost doing it because the rear wheel is unweighted.

It's worth practicing.
>>
File: 1660703085306.png (361 KB, 858x725)
361 KB
361 KB PNG
>>1843834
Actually this. I worked out a way to get the saddle absolutely perfectly straight (run a thread from the top cap bolt to the measured center of the back of the saddle and check it hits the center of the nose of the saddle) but not the stem.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (92 KB, 1193x845)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>1843848
223 here

he had enough time
the warning was when the brake lights came on.
there's like 20 metres between then and point of impact.
>>
>>1843856
If it's right by the valve it's not a puncture in the sense that you ran over something sharp, that part of the tube isn't facing the ground. Check there aren't any sharp bits inside the rim near the valve hole and keep your pressure high enough that the tube doesn't shift around while you ride (crooked valve stem is a symptom). Also don't yank the pump head off aggressively after you pump it up.
>>
>>1843703
just ride on the road with everyone else this shoulder business is danger
>>
File: 299730.jpg (730 KB, 4200x2800)
730 KB
730 KB JPG
>>1843903
How the fuck are you supposed to ditch a bottom bracket, or the bolt clamp BB shell for that matter? I might just get it fixed up once more and then sell the entire bike.
>>
>>1844212
with horizontal dropouts, you can loosen your tensioning bolts, move the rear wheel in and then the chain can be lifted off the sprockets.
>>
>>1843942
You can adjust it fi¡uther by changing the...
Chainring? Beltring?
...Pulley?
>>
>>1843946
>then your brakes aren't powerful enough.
I can LOCK the front wheel before the rear starts lifting off. With rim brakes. checkmate gearfags.
>>
>>1844212
holy fuck I said I wanted a chuckle, not cancer.
>>
>>1843628
I know how far I need to stop with my brakes and don't ride like a retard. Amazing, right?
>>
>>1843703
>no turn signal
>>
>>1843628
I have rim brakes on my fucking 20kg steel e-bike, what the fuck are you babbling about you retard?
>>
>>1844244
WRONG, every bike is a road bike, every surface is glass smooth asphalt, every use of a brake is an emergency stop for a child running in front of you and every use of the brake should be a perfect stoppie with 0 reaction time.
>>
>>1843703
That flip was perfect. Too bad the bike is ruined.
Also fuck that guy for not putting the indicator and hard turning right.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (295 KB, 1411x2000)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
for fuck's sake how do you adjust this screw? i guess the size is PH1 (the instruction manual doesn't say) but it still just cams out. i've tried the slotted too. the bits are low quality but still. i'm squeezing the arms together as far as they will go to relieve the spring tension. fucking undersized cheap ass zinc phillips head screw glued stuck with blue loctite. the screw head is already marred from the factory installation.
>>
>>1843805
Braking performance is still reduced momentarily as the rotor heats up enough to dissipate and boil off any water. There is no perfect solution, but rim brakes are pretty based.
>>
>>1844893
nvm i got it sorted, i might not check on this thread again so don't bother responding

>>1844916
>>1844921
>>
File: lol.png (5 KB, 644x94)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
Biking in the rain.
>>
>>1843703
>>1844863
>guy

My dudes, those are Euro plates and a small red car. That was 100% a late 30's female.
>>
>>1844988
>high 80's

Stop complaining. Come back when the weather report says 33 - 34.
>>
>>1843939
Bad technique all round, we had cycling proficiency lessons at school when we were 6 or 7 years old, one of the first things they taught 6 and 7 year olds was when braking pull on the rear brake first, then apply controlled pressure to the front, another thing they made us do was practice emergency stops.
If you watch that retard in the webm you see clearly he hit the front brake instantly and with full power, there was still 2 metres between him and the vehicle.
He may or may not have avoided contact with the car, but with the rear brake killing the speed and the front gently adding stopping power both wheels would have remained in contact with the road, a skilled and in control cyclist would have been able to easily guide the bike around the still rolling vehicle.

In short he panicked and didn't have a plan, he was completely unprepared for the possibility that he may need to stop or evade even though he was right behind a car that slowed as it approached a junction.
>>
>>1843847
i would counter steer sharply with the car
>>
>>1843610
me in the back in my shitter laughing at lycrafag
>>
you can't park them anywhere safely which makes them basically unusable for actual chores
>>
>>1843610
>old cunts cycling at 3mph
>try hards thinking they're too good for the cycle line/path and cause a traffic jam
>people who jump red lights and ignored crossings
>>
>>1843856
you have the valve nut on too tight. they're not even needed, there are tubes like michelin airstop and TPU tubes that don't have the nut.
>>
>>1843703
that was a good couple of seconds between the brake lights coming on and the cyclist applying brakes...
>>
>>1846133
this. can't have a nice bike and use it to get around without risking too much in terms of theft or vandalism.
>>
>>1846133
>>1849599
that's not a bicycle problem
>>
>>1843610
>brake pad moves as you tighten it
i had a hard time at first mainly because i wanted to have the brake pads sit at equal positions in the caliper arm slots. but it got sorted after i turned this centering screw further >>1844893 so that i didn't have to fight the orbital adjustment to get them to sit at equal heights.
>grease threads
>set the heightwise position, squeeze brake, tighten bolt just enough that it won't slip
>release brake, put a piece of 0.5mm thick card at the rear part, squeeze brake, loosen bolt, tighten it again, now you have the toe adjustment
>tighten to 6-8 Nm while applying counter force to the brake pad, it will probably turn slightly but that's ok, it won't mess up the height or toe adjustment
>set the final adjustment to align the brake pad with the brake surface by turning the bolt with your hex key while applying the force to the brake pad in the same direction
>>
>>1849600
of course it is every other vehicle thinks of theft prevention as a vehicle problem
the problem is bicycles is that they are most of the time considered a sports accessory like a bat or a ball instead of a serious means of transportation
>>
>>1843610
everything to do with cranks and bottom brackets
>>
>>1843620
Na grab that fucker with a tiny pair of vice grips and hold it still
.t hates adjusting brakes
>>
>>1843875
>>
File: APPLIC09.jpg (193 KB, 1000x658)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>1844212
roll ring, its like a ghost ring but made of a flexible composite materiel
either that or you get a better type of eccentric bottom bracket, there are various types that are mostly used on tandium bike frames, they probably all suck but what ever
>>
>>1843703
>drop bars
they really do provide a nice view of the ground
>>
>>1843610
>Whats the thing about bicycles that annoys you the most?
sometimes i wanna go somewhere but there's nowhere good to lock up
>>
>>1849783
Just take it inside or lock in directly at the entrance.
>>
>>1849783
been cycling all my life and I've never had this problem, never had a single bike stolen either
>>
>>1843620
Bought the cheapest shimano hydros and deore rotors for my new bike. Simplest install ever. Spent like three times less time than I've ever spent on V-brakes with slightly untrue wheels, dead springs and constantly slipping pad mounts. Cut the lines and bled them at a shop, haven't done any maintenance in 3 years. No ringing, no dragging, no sticking. I'm no racer and I don't use my bike enough to wear everything to bits. Works perfect in any weather, never let me down (unlike slipping v brake pads rubbing against tires - that's been my nightmare since childhood when I wore through the tire's sidewall on my way home from school)
>>
File: 1506057929783.gif (993 KB, 400x323)
993 KB
993 KB GIF
>>1843703
>Walmart rim brakes
>Some unfortunate Euro going head over heels, where Walmart either doesn't exist or has other subsidiaries
>>
>>1850391
>reading comprehension
>>
>>1843703
drops are dumb
you can see he had to move his hand to the lever before he could use the brakes and by that point it was too late and he just grabbed a handful
if he was on normal bars with his levers always at his finger tips he wouldve been fine
>>
>>1843829
yeah cos those rim brakes did absolutely nothing
>>
>>1843894
theres also sram duel drive thats a 3 speed with a cassette
>>
>>1849600
yes it is no other vehicle is as easy to steal
even motorcycles dont have to worry much
>>
>>1846135
that last one is an issue that eventually solves itself
>>
>>1849761
agree fuck bottom brackets
>>
>>1843610
>part compatibility
WHY IS IT NOT ALL UNIVERSAL REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1843610
>needing to buy bicycle specific tools
>>
>>1843703
>weight shift
>reactions
>rim brakes
>techinique
u guys are dumb look at his hands
he frontflipped because his hands werent on the brakes meaning when he had to brake suddenly it wasnt smooth he just grabbed a handfull of both
id say his reactions were good he just wasnt already covering the brakes like he shouldve been
ive never ridden drops so i guess i cant relate but personally i wouldnt be using them in traffic i always keep a finger on each brake and take up the slack in both whenever getting near to cars or any other dangers
if he was doing that he most likely wouldve been fine
and you should never rely on indicators for this exact reason, i assume every car is about to swerve into the next turning with no indication, even if they do indicate i still assume they arent gonna go the way they indicated because ive seen drivers indicate the wrong way or indicate when they didnt need to too
but again ALWAYS have a finger on the brakes in traffic and if you have to yank a brake it better be just the rear one
>>
File: 4 and 5 bolt BCD pattern.jpg (723 KB, 3300x2550)
723 KB
723 KB JPG
>>1850468
kek
>>
>>1850471
>ALWAYS
nonsense
>assume every car is about to swerve into the next turning with no indication
yes
the car even warned him
it braked well before the turn, he should have seen the brake light and anticipated it.
>>
>>1850471
a modern rider would most likely be on the hoods in that situation so they'd be better prepared to brake
>>
>>1843610
>>1843619
>Finding the right seat height.
Then getting it wrong, and while trying todo a trick to show off for a cute girl, land it all wrong and crush my testicles in front of her while she laughs
>>
>>1843610
Aligning the stem with the fork and the handlebars with the frame.
>>
>>1853139
>Aligning the stem with the fork
line up handlebar with front axle/nuts/hub flanges
>handlebars with the frame
put your front wheel in a sturdy bike stand and measure from the same spot in the middle of the tire to each end of the handlebar

realistically your bike will be off by a millimeter or two in the frame even if it's a reputable brand bike, and off by several millimeters in your own adjustments of the hoods, your body is asymmetric as well, it's not the end of the world as long as it's close enough
>>
i hate that its so expensive to make my bicycle miniscule-ly lighter
>>
>>1843950
Ah yes, the universally understood signal for turning right- brake lights. Could he have put himself in different situation by kit following as close? Maybe, but as matters were they reacted as well as they could have essentially. You can see the intent when they accelerated and veered to the right was to overtake but the car had little awareness (or regard) for situation. The brakes were applied on extremely short notice and minimally without their signals. This isn’t simply dangerous for cyclists but other motorists and any road user really.
>>
>>1853252
when a car brakes before a turn, yeah, you should hold the possibility in your mind and give room to react if it does happen.
That's a clear warning signal.
It's bad cycling not to.
>>
>>1843766
This is why I am considering a brompton style trifold
>>
>>1845143
>never progressed their cycling skills past grade school "lies to children" pedagogy
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html
>>
>>1853139
finally get the perfect adjustment
>after a few seconds of riding notice that its crooked
>>
>>1853252
When you participate in traffic you have to treat all participants as absolute retards who should not be allowed to operate a vehicle, let alone be allowed outside unsupervised.
It is obviously a lot of work but it does prevent accidents happening from one single mistake.
>>
>>1853676
B-but I'm not the one at fault!!!!!
>>
>>1853684
That's a perfect statement to use on insurance forms and gravestones.
>>
>>1843766
>remove pannier (4 velcro straps)
>remove front light
>remove front light mount because it has a thumbscrew for quick adjustments and can be removed easily
>remove rear light
>lock front wheel
>lock rear wheel
>lock seatpost / pannier rack

I don't have an expensive bike, I just hate walking home. I'm getting faster at locking all my shit up but it still takes me ~2 minutes
>>
>>1843882
Get a normal BB and a fucking chain tensioner (AKA an old derailleur).
>>
>>1853665
sheldon is a tard. half the text about the front brake is about fixed gear, with a freewheeling bike you need to use the rear brake to get the same level of feedback. if you're stopping hard and your rear wheel is lifting then you won't have time to react before you go over the bars. it's pretty much common sense to use the rear brake in addition to the front brake if only to even out the pad and rim wear. you can use the rear brake pretty much any time you want outside of an emergency stopping situation, like if you ride in a paceline it's respectful to slow less aggressively and so that the rider following you can see your rear brake moving. using both the front and rear brake is obviously fine, any other vehicle doesn't solely rely on the front brake.
>>
>>1850565
anon....
>>
>>1843610
cars
>>
File: charrise.jpg (68 KB, 757x574)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1853762
>if you're stopping hard and your rear wheel is lifting then you won't have time to react before you go over the bars.

most of what you're saying kinda makes sense but this just tells me your bike handling sucks
>>
File: samurai-jack-happy.gif (107 KB, 640x480)
107 KB
107 KB GIF
>>1843620
You make me proud, lad.
>>
>>1843703
>nigger didn't use his turn signal or his mirrors
Some people shouldn't drive. Some people shouldn't breath.
>>
>>1854365
see >>1843703, there's lots of videos and testimonies showing that you don't have time to react when you grab too much front brake and the bike starts catapulting
>>
>>1854382
i've literally done several stoppies in emergency stops

it just needs to be something that you have muscle memory for. You're not a good rider if you can't do it, and you should practice it.
>>
>>1853252
When a car brakes for seemingly no reason it's usually because they're about to do something unpredictable and retarded, and you should do your best to keep clear of them. Paying attention to the driving behaviour of cagers around you can potentially save your life; always assume they're going to do something that'd kill you, even if it'd make no logical sense.
>>
>>1854416
it's still way less sketchy to skid the rear tire than to do a stoppie, especially in any less than ideal conditions like downhill or cornering on loose/slippery surfaces
>>
>>1854416
and yeah you would apply progressive braking pressure so that you're not just instantly catapulting but it's neckbeardy to be like sheldon by saying that you should only use the front brake 95% of the time and that only noobs use front+rear brakes
>>
>>1854427
>be Sheldon Brown
>one of the most important figures in contemporary cycling
>probably THE most important figure in some niches like fixed gear
>see Americans using only the rear brake
>write series of articles ignored by the parts of the world that already know about the correct way to brake a bicycle saying nooooooo you should never ever use the rear brake
>fast forward 30 years
>some nobike retard from a euro country that used to be able to cycle quoting your articles back to Americans who have now learned to cycle
>>
>>1854431
>probably THE most important figure in some niches like fixed gear
this is annoying because he made it so that it's unreasonably taboo to have a rear brake on a fixed gear bike and so that most people don't want to use drop bar levers with hoods, just a front brake with a chode flat bar lever on the tops. not having hoods is less functional and makes a fixed gear bike a less viable alternative to a road bike. it looks childish and low class, kind of like a skateboarding/bmx/druggie/street aesthetic.
>>
File: sheldon quickbeam.jpg (253 KB, 1024x768)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>1854438
that's such nonsense

What was actually passe was having brakes at all.
The front brake only thing is just an evolution of the no brake thing which he was largely against.

Having hoods and not having a rear brake aren't mutually exclusive either.
>>
>>1854426
>it's still way less sketchy to skid the rear tire than to do a stoppie
whether you skid the rear tire or not has absolutely nothing to do with whether you're gonna do a stoppie.

You can just fishtail and then flip over the front.

>>1854427
you're confused about what Sheldon's writing was. It's not dogma to latch onto or rail against. It's iconoclastic musing which always has some merit.
He wasn't a god. He was just a very prominent version of you or I. His forum posts bickering with people on various sites are still up.
>>
>>1854447
Front brake only thing is for legal compliance

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.