[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 63 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 19th Birthday 4chan!

used to think they looked sketchy and dumb but now im thinking they look like fun with the scooter like geometry
seen busniessmen in suits riding them like trials bikes and theres a big customizing scene
they seem really expensive for what they are tho is it worth getting a clone instead?
>>
>>1842763
> used to think they looked sketchy and dumb
Nothing has changed. You’ve just lowered your expectations.
>>
They are fun for adventure riding. Taking mine to Rome and Florence in a couple months. Mix of bus, train and plane. They are perfect for this. Also taking them in places with you is a huge advantage in todays world. Ride quality is good, particularly with a load up front. They are expensive though.
>>
>>1842763
why is it that there are no chink brompton knockoffs? i'd get one if i could get a frame with free shipping and toss kids' bike components on it.
>>
>>1842792
There are though. This is why Brompton has been making new upscale models and marketing hard. They know utilitarian riders can't justify the markup when exact copies exist.
>>
>>1842795
Where?
All the folding bikes around me have the hinge in the center of their one topdowntube
>>
File: original.jpg (120 KB, 800x800)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>1842797
3sixty. You can get them from aliexpress and similar. About half the price of a Brompton. I hate chinkshit though so just got the real one.
>>
The whole point of a brompton is brand prestige. Buying a fake one is like buying a fake rolex. Who are you impressing with a fake rolex? For that matter who are you impressing with a real brompton? Normies who think $2k is an extravagant amount to spend on a bicycle (aka a child's toy), and 12 year old NUMTOTs for whom $2k actually is an extravagant amount to spend on a child's toy.

>>1842795
Also this explains the sudden surge in people who don't look like the standard brompton customer riding what look like bromptons lately. I had a suspicion but I never stopped and asked. And that's the other thing. An owner of an actual brompton wouldn't need to be asked. They'd announce it. Hey you I saw you existing within 30 feet of me, do you know how many dollars this thing cost? It's called a brompton btw. Bet you'd like to know, right? Right? Well I'll take your silence and running away from me as interest. It cost $2kkk000 american dollars, bet you think that's a lot of money for a bicycle right? Well it is but I'm rich. And let me tell you it's totally worth - hey come back here! I wasn't done talking!

So if you're ever at a stop light next to one of these, oh who am I kidding fake brompton owners just ride the wrong way on the sidewalk and real brompton owners don't ride at all, they just fold it and unfold it in high traffic locations so they can badger you with unsolicited self congratulatory drivel
>>
>>1842809
please get run over by dsny or a commercial carting truck already, god damn.
>>
>>1842798
I'm surprised there aren't Electric Brompton knockoffs yet. Perhaps not the exact design, but an electrified chink brompton is something I'd definitely consider purchasing.

>>1842809
This is true. They also have a very toxic cult mentality. Go look at the comments on any Tern BYB YouTube video or blog article. You'll see them in droves hating just because it's competition.
>>
>>1842813
>>1842809
This is just toxic cycling culture in general, doesn't really matter if it is the Brompton brand of toxicity or the Specialized. Its all the same and perpetrated by a relative minority. In the real world I just enjoy the freedom of taking my bike with me and don't bother anyone.
>>
>>1842821
>Its all the same and perpetrated by a relative minority
case in point: the very attention whore you're quoting. that faggot just won't shut the fuck up about bromptonfags
it's like the retards who won't shut up about how avocado is hipster/reddit food, while the rest of the world just eat it without a care
>>
>>1842763
If you can service the bicycle yourself or don't want the ebike version yes.
>>
It's pretty fun.
>>
>>1842822
>while the rest of the world just eat it without a care
No, I don't like avocado
>>
>>1842809
sounds extremely cringe and i wont be partaking in that
i just want a scooter with pedals i can take on the train or bus with me but still has real bike performance
im definetly getting a knockoff one
i dont have anyone to impress but myself lol
>>
>>1842819
this
theres a reason cyclists are so hated, its always rich cunts who think other people give a shit how expensive their bikes are
im the exact opposite i like getting the most for the least money thats what a bicycle means to me
>>
File: porco 4.gif (756 KB, 500x283)
756 KB
756 KB GIF
I imagine they make sense for a certain niche of credit card touring, staying in hotels, some in cities, with lots of train trips and other intermodal travel.

>>1842775
like this

Otherwise they're stupid and people who have them in their daily life need to get their shit together.
>>
>>1842795
Exact copies my ass. If you ever ride one of those chink knockoffs you will feel the fear that it'll open up below you.
Not that I think Bromptons are worth the money, but I'd spend on a carbon chink frame WAY before I think about a chink folding bike.
>>
>>1842870
Have you rode one or are you talking out of your ass?
>>
>>1842934
hes probably just a brompton brand whore
>>
I honestly do feel like getting a Brompton, but I feel those 16 wheels will really cuck me
>>
>>1843047
i used to think the same thing alot but if you look at it like a scooter with pedals and a seat it makes more sense
very manueverable and responsive like a bmx or something, seen people get hectic on them
just watch out for potholes
>>
these are amazing for shitholes like vancouver, london etc. where bike theft is part of daily life.
>>
>>1842813
the cult mentality is ridiculous

just going to any folding bikes articles/videos, and people would be advertising the superior UK craft brompton that they spent $3000 on

I wish brompton actually innovated and built 20 inch wheelset frames, but they are even falling behind aliexpress that sells 20 inch titanium frames
some brompton clones even have 11 speed + disc brakes now
>>
>>1842792
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JKvVJt7ySc

clone with disc brakes
>>
>>1842763
Bromptons are noodly as fuck
If you need to carry it into public transport, it is great
I would get steel bifolds otherwise, bigger wheels and rides more like a normal bicycle
>>
only thing I don't like about my brompton is getting the nose pointed perfectly straight
get reduced gearing if dealing with hills
>>
>>1843102
Bifolds take too much space though.
I'm really interested in brompton clones because they take as much space as a 20l gas can.
>>
>>1843098
Titanium clones with 11 speed and disc brakes? Where can I get one?
>>
File: moulton atb.jpg (128 KB, 800x600)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
They are basically cheapo rip off of Moulton's without the pedigree, class or versatility.
>>
>>1842809
You're full of shit. Bromptons have their reputation for a reason. They actually last. Nothing folds as tight and easily, and nothing is a durable.

A brompton loses barely any value even after 10 years.
>>
>>1842847
Based
>>
>>1843084
this too
>>
>>1843105
ive seen ones with these mega wide range 6 speed internal hubs and a weird 2 speed bottom bracket hubs called mountain drives or something
i plan to buy a knockoff brompton or a similar folding bike that can take the same parts as a brompton just for these
with the tiny wheels and the wide range bromptons can climb like fuck its weird
>>
>>1843426
im tempted by one of these jut for how cool they look
looks flimsey even by folding bike standards could this survive being ridden down stairs?
>>
>>1843084
it's more to do with commutes that involve both cycling and public transport.
>>
>>1843369
No company sells that, you have to build it yourself
There are 20 inch titanium brompton frames with 135mm dropouts (for disc brakes) on aliexpress
Frameset is about $1600 USD total

If you don't want to buy chinese,
eedermetal from the netherlands builds 20" x 2.75" steel bromptons for around $5000 USD
kinetics bikes from the UK builds 20" x 1.35" steel bromptons for around $3000 USD (or steel frameset for $1500 USD)

If you want titanium 20", aliexpress is the only option
If you want steel 20", eedermetal and kinetics are the only options
Brompton makes titanium 16", but the welding is known to be absolute garbage
>>
File: Capture.png (295 KB, 379x722)
295 KB
295 KB PNG
>>1842763
>>
As someone who owns a brompton, loves it and rides often, I can say it's a shame the brand have their heads up their asses. Never seen a company rest on their laurels so much. Its going to be a slow death over the next 15 years for them. Only a matter of time before the clones do ride better and last as long. The rest of the world is innovating and brompton refuse to. The writing is on the wall for them.
>>
Credit card touring time!
>>
>>1843818
Just saw this pic on Reddit lol
>>
>>1843868
I'm also bait bike anon. I have recovered from my brain injury!!
>>
>>1843047
some people make frame parts to use bigger wheels. look up kinetics in britbong or eerdermetaal in europe
>>
>>1842763
I've got a cheapo knockoff I use for daily commuting.
Pros:
Comfy as hell
Excellent for taking various types of public transport
Great for adventure riding

Cons:
Slow
Looks kinda goofy
Too heavy for its actual size
I'd say get a cheap clone. Otherwise get an actual big boy bike, Bromptons are way too expensive for what they offer.
>>
I do long train rides almost every month and a folding bike would be extremely useful in my case. I like the small folding size of the Brompton and the front bag carrier would be nice for my equipment. Question is what folding bike is the best one for someone who will use it a lot. Don't want it to fail on me while I am far away from home and have shit to do. Are Bromptons actually good or just a Macbook like meme?
>>
But where are the electric chinkclones.
>>
>>1844196
if you can accept the tradeoffs of a folding bike compared to a normal one the brompton is reliable
>>
is there REALLY a difference between cheaper folding bikes like bickerton and decathlon compared to bromptons when going on a packed train?
>>
>>1844573
I have a decathlon folding shit with a single hinge.
It takes much more space than the two hinged bromptons and clones
>>
>>1844579
>much more space
enough to be a nuisance to other passengers?
I'm just trying to figure out if it's justifiable to buy a brompton solely for its smaller folding size
>>
File: dahon_vs_brompton_fold.jpg (163 KB, 650x411)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>1844588
Enough that you won't be allowed to bring them into the bus/train if it's full.
>>
>>1844592
wow that's a big difference
>>
Sophie and Lady Brompton a cute

https://youtu.be/T4uefBuuLL0
>>
>>1842763
is there such a thing as an offroad folding bike?
like those fat tyre folding ebikes but without the e
>>
>>1844692
Montague Paratrooper?
>>
>>1844588
>>1844592
>>1844594
you can put bromptons inbetween your legs

for bifolds, the drivetrain is on the outside
if you put it between your legs, the grease from the chains will get onto your legs
might stain other commuters clothes too
>>
>>1842763
Actually great quality (especially the frames, the construction is robust) but expensive as hell, love the pic of folded Brompton. Here (Indonesia), owning a Brompton feels like owning a Rolls-Royce of folding bike. Local brand, local made, highest specification trifold bicycle (pic, 11 speed Shimano Alfine, Shimano Deore discbrake) only costs $1200; one-third of Brompton price. Even there is an E-Bike version of it just only for $1400 (with 8 speed and mechanical discbrake though)
>>1843102
>>1843141
>>1844579
I own a 16" bifold bicycle (Local made brand, bought at discount for only $120) and it still feels cumbersome even when folded, still larger than folded trifolds (and slow also quite uncomfortable compared to 20"). Trifold bicycle is very compact that you could even sneak it as normal baggage instead of sports baggage if you take a flight. Still folding bikes only advantage is that you could carry inside public transportation, and you need to commuting around by mix of walking and cycling. Better use normal bicycles if you want to go full cycling. If you somehow need to have a folding bike, getting a trifold worth the portability, bifolds couldn't beat the trifolds on size
>>
>>1844859
I never thought about this, thanks for the info
>>
>>1844741
is it light enough to hike with?
>>
>>1844879
That e-trifold looks pretty good. Shame they don't ship over to Europe.
>>
>>1844879
what's the max speed on the electric trifold? pontificating on whether it might be worth importing it to the UK if it meets the 15.5mph/25kmh max speed regulations
>>
That type of bike exists solely so that you can enter and exit a train cart while not being a bigger a nuisance than someone with a carry on luggage
>>
>>1845181
>giving a shit about our regulations
bro the police dont know how fast your ebike is
being cucks like this is how our country got so fucked stop handing it all over to the fucking gov
>>
>>1845229
>pwease no steppy uwu
You do know you're still free to pedal an electrically assisted bike as fast as you want, right? It doesn't literally slam the brakes on at 15.5 mph - I know twats like you like to pretend it does when arguing about it on the internet. The regulations are so that they can be treated as a normal bike, because guess what, they're for people who are too old/fat/lazy to ride a normal bike, ie people who absolutely should not be going any faster than that anyway (if you can't even pedal yourself up to 15 mph, what are your bike handling skills actually going to be like? I don't even think this needs explaining, yet here we are). Basically if you want a motorbike, get a motorbike, it really isn't difficult to understand.
>>
>>1845229
I would have to tell them its top speed on the import paperwork
>>
>>1845265
you dont have to tell them the truth lol
>>
Used to be better (literally so good it could be made unchanged for decades), but management is currently busy introducing more and more incompatibility between model years and planned obsolence with every update.
>>
File: Dsc_2748 Xplorer.jpg (277 KB, 1024x688)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
>>1842763
normal bromptons look like clown unicycles
modified bromptons looks pretty badass though
>>
>>1842763
I do 'mire bromptons when I see them but I'm not nearly a serious-enough cyclist to even consider one. Even if I was, I have a phobia of things too nice, like I'd be pained if they were damaged or stolen. Nothing I need to be precious with.

That said I just got a Zizzo Urbano in the mail today and a couple accessories. It's just the one day I've had it but it's really fucking fun. The 20-inch tires look less dorky than the 16inchers, although between that and the bifold design it obviously doesn't get down to the same size as the Brompton. It is lighter, though. Thing's slick as fuck. Maybe I'm easily impressed, and I haven't had a bike in a while. Still though I don't have space for a full bike so the folding is important, and I'm excited as hell to have it. Really wish they made it in the same bumblebee-yellow colorway that they make the lower-end models, though.
>>
File: Element Pikes Gen 2.jpg (53 KB, 1280x811)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>1845157
Don't know much on global market. We have like five bicycle manufacturers here. And I think only Polygon is recognized worldwide, despite being obscure and less popular than common European, US, Taiwan brands.
As far as I remember from my foggy memory if i'm not mistaken, Unitedbike might be sold in Europe but only few countries; Portugal, Spain, maybe Denmark if I remember. Even then, I'm still doubtful whether it's true or not as I couldn't find the info at search engine.
Also another local brand trifold Bicycle here, at a glance look exactly a Brompton bootleg.

>>1845181
I checked the homepage, and it's says (translated):
https://www.unitedbike.com/e-trifold
>This best collection from E-Series is fitted with technology of 350W motor and 8Ah Lithium battery that could accelerate up to 25Km/H
You could check the specification list there for some details.
>>
>>1845473
I live in Portugal and I have no idea where I could get one.
>>
>>1842763
£3k I'd have one but £3k. Maybe £500 ;)
>>
Tried a Brompton Electric today. It's interesting, though I was very put off by how long it takes for the assist to kick in.

If you stop on a harsh slope, you're not cycling out of it.
>>
>>1845857
Wew, I was just told the sensor is only on the left pedal. I always start on the right one.
Bikeshop fucker couldn't tell me that either.
>>
>>1845860
Even when pushing down on the left pedal, you’ll have to push about 1/4-1/2 of the way before the engine starts running.
To keep the “bicycle feel”, they’re not smart.
>>
In England and Canada, Raleigh sells folding bikes for under $500. They weigh more, but that’s not a problem unless you’re a malnourished bugman, and it gets the job done. There are a lot of competitors springing up, offering either cheaper bikes, or better bikes, or both.
My folder goes in the trunk of my car, and it gets popped out when I take a long-ass road trip so I don’t have to suffer the indignity of walking, nor the worry of someone unpinning the bike hitch from the back of my car and making off with my commuter. Bromptons are like Apple or Rolex: you’re not paying for the functionality, you’re paying for the privilege of saying you paid a lot of money.
>>
>>1845999
Doesn't fold nearly as small. The whole point of Brompton is multi-modal commuting and being able to bring your bicycle literally everywhere.
>>
>>1846084
I bought a decathlon folding bike >>1844579 to stick it inside my car and use it as an extension of it but it's 3big
>>
I'm going for the brompton 3 speed C line utility at £1,250
do I really have to pay another £150 for dynamo lights or are battery powered lights good enough?
>>
>>1846395
Is not having to remember to charge your light ever again worth £150 to you?
>>
>>1846399
is that literally the only difference? wow no way I'm paying for that then
what SHOULD I get instead? a bike computer? I am a complete novice
>>
>>1846402
Well it also makes you slightly slower.
I wouldn't bother with a computer in a brompton unless you want a tacho to track the wear of the bits.
If it was up to me I'd pocket the dynamo money and use it later in tyre's or some other wear part.
>>
>>1846403
I see. good idea
>>
>>1846402
I'd avoid getting too much into accessory hell as it'll get the bicycle heavier.
Get a rearview mirror if you're planning to go outside bike lanes. A phone holder if you'll need GPS.
>>
Is it true that the longer wheelbase of the pikes clones makes them more comfortable?
>>
>>1845999
Literal retard.

If you need a car to use your folder just get a bike rack ya fucking jackass.
>>
>>1846798
bro
I'm >>1846403
But a bike computer weighs how much?
150 grams?
>>
>>1846931
depends on your height
they recommend pikes for >175cm
>>
File: Capture.png (196 KB, 298x291)
196 KB
196 KB PNG
found a carbon fiber 6.9kg trifold clone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE8eCw_aT2I
>>
>>1848666
these singapore fucks need to start selling their shit abroad.
>>
>>1848666
>royale

lol does it come with cheese?
>>
I tried copping a folding bike the other day but it turned out to be way heavier than advertised so i sent it right the fuck back again

Will likely opt for an e-scooter now, costs around the same as a cheap folder but you can carry it with you wherever you go
>>
I've seen 20" aluminium brompton-likes too, carbon fibre 18", etc

there is a trifold hype in asia right now (korea, taiwan, china, singapore, indonesia, japan, etc), there are more parts coming into the market

if you are interested in trifolds, you should wait a year or so, there will be more options
>>
>>1848872
If the battery dies on your escooter you're sol right? You can't kick on it (or can you i'm not sure)

>>1848891
Sources? Interested in a non electric 3 or 6 speed brompton, not sure which to get but willing to wait if better offerings are coming.
>>
File: Capture.png (587 KB, 516x467)
587 KB
587 KB PNG
>>1849659
I found the aluminum trifold in a facebook group
information on these is scarce
>>
File: zizzo.jpg (1.09 MB, 2000x1500)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>1845436
Thoughts on Zizzo Libertie vs Urbano? For $479 it's tempting, I want a folding bike but don't want to drop $2k on a brompton and be devastated if it gets stolen or be paranoid the entire time if I have to lock it outside. I'm trying to find a folding bike that strikes a balance between not being a shit riding experience / terrain versatility / not being terribly expensive so I don't have to insure it.

>>1848666
15lbs is super impressive.
>>
>>1842763
They are neat, you start to notice little quirks with the frame geometry and stuff as you use it and they're cool, and i love mine for the convenience it gives me of being able to use public transport supplementally with my own riding so i have more options especially over long distances, but things i dont like:
-the company are IP patent fuckers, if youre the kind of retard that thinks those actually work as a legal instrument to bring about technological progress then you wont care about this, but it does have some unpleasant effects, and can explain how a lot of the following points i'll complain about come into being
-the tool that fits into the cavity of the frame that is exposed when folded (marked on the pic as the pink shape on the frame) is cool as fuck. this is probably the quirkiest of the quirks i was talking about at the start. i really like it. it's also fucking 65 bongland pounds, or 75 usd. for a tool that fits in your palm. but of course it's that expensive because brompton have a monopoly on its production.
-i dont like the handlebar that came stock with mine, it's the default one so it has this stupid fucking dip in the middle of the handlebar, i'd much rather have the stem from the op pic that uses the flat handlebar, so i could use it with a set of bullhorn handlebars (on my CX bike i barely use the drops but i do like going fast with the forward grip, so think a bullhorn bar is the best option for me, but also allows me to fold it fine, so long as i loosen and rescrew the clamp that holds the handlebar in each time). so you would think i can just unscrew the stem from the rest of the frame, buy the longer one i want, and screw that one in right? no, brompton has an exclusivity agreement with their stockists that if you want frame parts, you have to give them your old one for free. so i'd haev to pay 150 quid for the new stem, they fit it "for free" (it's literally just a fucking big wrench socket holding it to the frame) 1/2
>>
File: oppicedited.png (3.9 MB, 1744x1288)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB PNG
>>1849939
-the front carrier block is only rated up to 10kg, not a dealbreaker but a little bit shit, i'd rather it weigh more and let me carry 15-20kg max, especially since the rear triangle frame part doesnt protrude far back enough to carry even some tiny panniers if you fit a rack (havent tried this with third party rear triangles with integrated racks, like the one Kinetics makes, which might just be big enough that it works).
-the elastomer suspension (circled in purple) is shit. i replaced it with a metal spring suspension block from aliexpress and that is better, but still shit. they shouldve had the pivot point for the rear triangle a bit farther back, and then this suspension block couldve been longer. this wouldve had the secondary beenfit of allowing for a bigger chain ring, because this bike was made for dentists and bankers in london to be able to take on the tube, its not geared for going fast on. i want to swap out the chainring for a bigger one, but then you lose out on another quirk, which is the chainring sitting flush with the frame when folded rather than having a spiky bit jutt out the back.
-the wheels are too small as well. id rather they were 20 inches, maybe 18 at a minimum, but 16 is too much. the steering is just uncomfortably twitchy as a result, which i dont really care aboutcause i dont care about riding with no hands, but its also just bumpy to ride. im gonna get a thudbuster or something suspension seatpost and hopefully thatll also help but really theres no reason why brompton themselves cant just make less shitty bikes. all that said though, ive never really tried any other folders like the birdy, dahon or tern offerings, but i gotta say im happy with my brompton even for all its faults. dont think id switch if i had the option.
>>
>>1848891
>>1849865
also I inquired with the company, and they say they will have new models in 2023.
no information on what they are making yet though
>>
>>1849943
I think 20 inch wheels would be great, but it'd also add a lot of weight to the bicycle
>>
>>1845433
>mountain brompton
ok thats based and id probably do something similar if i had one
>>
>>1845433
Eerdermetaal Xplorer for anyone that couldnt make it out from the sticker. He's dutch and charges like 3-5k euros i think for completed bikes or 2500 for the frame parts to diy, cant remember the exact figures.
There's also Kinetics if you;re in Scotland/UK but his 20-inch-wheel-compatible frame parts don't take chunky tyres iirc, i think u can do chunky tyres w his 18in frameparts tho

if you want a folding mountain bike that isnt a brompton though id look into the montague paratrooper.
>>
I've been wanting to make a 20" brompton for a while now, but the only possibility is kinetics or a titanium fork from aliexpress which will set me back about $400

Is it possible to install a random 20 inch fork on the brompton and save a ton of money?
The dimensions for the steerer tube is 139mm, inner diameter of 1 1/8 inch

can't I just get a random 20 inch fork and shave/thread it to that size?
on top of that, wouldn't it be possible to install a suspension fork?
seems like people have done it before with a birdy/brompton hybrid
>>
I've had a 6 gear Brompton since May in Fire Coral. Bearing in mind I'm a 6 ft 3 man.

If you ride one in the UK, be prepared for abuse from chavs and 19 year olds driving modded Golfs.
>>
>>1842763
bromptons probably hold value better than any car would, probably beat inflation if you dont wreck it desu. This isnt to say anything of its actual quality/usefulness, just its perceived market value.
>>
>>1842798
>>1843426
>>1843586
>>1844141
>>1844573
>>1844579
>>1844592
>>1844879
>>1845436
>>1845999
>>1848666
>>1849865
This thread is about Bromptons, and you poorfags have been derailing it by discussing "cheaper alternatives".

No other folding bike can get remotely close to the build quality of a Brompton. No other folding bike can get anywhere near the prestige that a Brompton enjoys. It's like comparing a Bentley to a Dacia Sandero and saying your Sandero is just as good because it can also drive. No. The Brompton is the last state-sponsored British brand of quality and is a sort of last stand of implicit British manufacturing genius. It's the English's was of saying "we don't manufacturer anymore, but if we did, we'd wreck you."

Whenever I see a folding bike that's not a Brommie I cringe.
>>
>>1851862
kek bromptonfags are really as annoying as they come

Speaking from experience, the bike is complete trash
There are many proprietary parts, and you will not be able to fix it yourself, without expensive proprietary tools
once your warranty is up, brompton expects you to buy a complete new bicycle from them.

For example, the main frame hinge, and stem hinge needs to be reamed, if you want to bring it for powder coating, or for replacement when it is rusting

It is the Apple™ of the bicycle world, and their owners are complete dickwads

Unless you really need a folding bike, (I would recommend dahon instead), go for a normal bicycle that you can easily fix yourself, it will last you for years to come
>>
>>1852184
That's a long way to say "I can't afford a Brompton".
>>
>>1852262
Thanks for letting the thread know you're an airheaded moron who only looks at the price tag
>>
>>1852184
There's no bicycle that folds as small and offers an Electric version. Or is there?
Or at least one you can buy in Europe.
>>
>>1852184
>the bike is complete trash
But that's plainly ridiculous. There's a reason the Brompton is probably the most famous brand of bicycle in the world. It's quality. If you genuinely believe it's 'trash' then that only exposes your own stupidity and lack of judgement.

Here's your (you) anyway, which is all you wanted in the first place.
>>
>>1852294
>the most famous brand of bicycle in the world
Decathlon
>>
>>1852294
From the frequent cracks, to poor customer service, to poor titanium welds, to the rampant use of proprietary parts. I have a Brompton, and yes, it have been a pretty garbage experience.
>It's quality
The bike is made of steel (wow), and the tolerances are so bad they have to use bushings to control it. Congratulations!
>>
>>1852364
Well you must be a fat cunt then because I've ridden my Brompton daily for 3 years without even a service and have had no issues
>>
I'm a bit undecided between the P-Line Electric and the C-Line, because of the 4-speed (which is more like a 3-speed) vs the 6-speed.

But that extra weight loss..
>>
What are the small wheels actually for?

If you don't have a rack then it's impossible to use them? Or is my Brompton just broken?
>>
>>1852635
To carry it when folded
>>
File: 20220920_141229.jpg (1.91 MB, 2848x2446)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
>>1852643
But how? The mudguard drags along the floor so you can't wheel it
>>
>>1852663
It doesn't
It looks like it does there because it's sunk into the carpet
>>
Went to bike shop and took an Electric Brompton demo bike out for a few days.

Dragging it around without the rack is a pain as you need to lift the handlebars to get it to roll smoothly.
It's also very heavy, if you need to lift it up a lot in your commute, don't do it. It's a pain to deal with crowded escalators as well.
It's also not very good at dealing with hills. It assists based on torque, so while it'll make a hard hill require less effort, it'll still require effort.

I'll be returning it, it's just not good for my use case. P-Line's weight reduction is -not- worth losing the harder gears.
>>
>>1853055
What do you mean "harder gears"?
>>
>>1844592
a challenger appears
>>
>>1853062
nta but despite its reputation as a wonder metal, titanium gears wear out faster than steel
>>
>>1853142
All I know is what I read in this book about metals, Stress Fractures in Titanium

titanium is more based than you can possibly imagine
>>
>>1851862
Great news!
>>
>>1851862
God I hate br*tish 'people'
>>
File: AVRO_MattGray1_720x.jpg (74 KB, 720x523)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>1851862
That's nice. My knockoff comes in the mail tomorrow, and I'm gonna mod the piss out of it without dealing with limited, uncommon parts.
>>
i like them but any proprietary parts piss me off. most trains here you can take a full-sized bike no problem anyway, so i think if i was to get a specialised folding bike for rural train travel i would rather take my time with a rinko pass hunter type bike
>>
File: Dahon Smooth hound.jpg (527 KB, 1024x680)
527 KB
527 KB JPG
>>1842763

I rather this design for a small bike.
>>
>>1853208
Super excited to see pics bro
>>
>>1853232
Would be better with S&S couplers
>>
>>1853212
same for me, I want a folding bike but I need to be able to fix everything on it like a normal bike. I think Zizzo / Dahon are both standard parts
>>
>>1853062
The P-Line's 4-speed's gearing range is more like the standard Brompton 3-speed.

You lose the higher and lower gears, so you don't go as fast, nor do you climb the harder hills
>>
>>1851320
man i wish kinetics would do a 20 inch fork that copied the birdy suspension design
>>
>>1852957
lying nigger, i have a brompton and without the rack and easy wheels it is a fucking nightmare to roll around in "shopping trolley mode"
>>
>>1853707
Stop pressing down on your bike you baboon
>>
File: ELEMENT-PIKES.jpg (124 KB, 1080x810)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
more Brompton knockouts in my 3rd world hard mode country
>>1845507
Maybe I misremember it. local bicycles here at least exported around SEA region, few in India, some in East Asia, maybe Australia.
>>
>>1853707
Yeah it is, you have to raise the bike for it to roll nicely, the front small wheel is ass.
>>
>>1853055
One more thought, my demo bike has a telescopic seatpost. You can do the P-Line thing where you can roll it around with the seatpost rather than the handlebars if you use it.

Of course, you need the rack because >>1853963
>>
If I was willing to pay for a brompton I'd just buy a birdy instead because the wheels are a bit bigger
>>
I've rented a brompton for a few days to test it and I am really confused like the other anon on how to roll it when folded. it's also a bit heavy (~11kg) so no idea how I'm going to speedwalk up stairs or escalators in tube stations
additionally, have asked in the /bqg/ but was wondering how people sit in the tube trains while the bike is folded, it's wider than the seat so I would have to either put it next to a priority seat or stand
>>
>>1854037
If it's the C-Line, you keep the handlebars open, and lift them while you drag it.
With the P/T-Line, you can keep the saddle halfway down and push/pull it, though you still need to make a raising force.

Escalators have been a pain point for me. I just fully collapse the bike, lift it through the saddle and have it take a stair in the escalator. It'd be best to drag it with the handlebar onto there, but I don't want to be a bother to people since folding takes a bit of time. I think the P-Line / telescopic would really help with this one.

Stairs are to be avoided, but if you have to, carrying the bike fully unfolded is much easier as the weight is distributed. Sit the saddle on your shoulder when doing so, there's some rubber to help cushion.

I'm not a brit, but I just stand in the train and subway.
>>
>>1854058
>If it's the C-Line, you keep the handlebars open, and lift them while you drag it.
tried doing this and it wasn't working, the hire bike is the C line with conical wheels
>I just fully collapse the bike, lift it through the saddle and have it take a stair in the escalator.
ahh that's fine if I want to take my time but I guess I don't have a choice since I can't carry the bike and run up the escalators when it's folded
>Sit the saddle on your shoulder
oh wow didn't know I could do this
>I just stand
hmm not what I want to do ideally but thanks for the tips
>>
>>1854071
Well I can only speak from personal experience, I have a 2022 C Line and in order to "roll" it along you need to extend the handlebars and then slightly tilt.

It's not as good as having a rack but fuck having a rack with all the weight that adds.
>>
>>1855231
There are 3rd party racks that are far lighter. No idea if they're any good though.
>>
Wouldn't trust a folding bike that wasn't a Brompton.

My friend bought an £850 Chinese knock off that looked exactly the same as a real Brompton, it ended up snapping on him 3 months in and he lost his two front teeth.

I also see people with genuine Brompton modding it with loads of third party parts to "upgrade" it, then wondering why parts are breaking. Also a huge mistake. Bromptons are designed in a very particular way to prevent wear and tear. The only additions I would make are official Brompton lights as they don't come with these as standard.

Other than that, buy a 6 geared STEEL version and leave it the fuck alone. The tyres and frame are fucking bullet proof.
>>
>>1842763
They suck ass
The wheels are too small so you have to pedal way, way harder.
Think about the circumference of the wheel of this vs a normal bike.
There is a point where it is more energy intensive than walking. It sucks.
>>
>>1856020
More acceleration than bigger wheeled bikes. Perfect for town and city cycling. Slightly less efficient on very long trips.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.