[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 124 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: airplane.jpg (49 KB, 1000x646)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
What's the scariest thing you've ever experienced in an airplane?
>>
>>1837666
Sitting next to an obese person. Their fat overflowed into my seat. Why do we let these ambuloceti get on without paying for 2 seats? I was on Pan Am 1736 and it really wasn't that bad compared to this fr fr
>>
I almost had a mid air collision with a maintenance flight that didn't have their transponder on
>>
>>1837666
sitting next to OP
>>
>>1837666
Pilot came on the intercom and it was a woman's voice
>>
When the throttle in a sketchy ass 172 literally fell off while at full power
>>
>>1837737
Beat me to it. Was just gonna say fat people.
>>
Had to fly on a plane during the pandemic.
>>
File: 747 lol.jpg (12 KB, 474x315)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1837777
checked and kekd
>>
>>1837960
2020 pandemic flying was awesome, nobody was flying so the airports and planes were empty. 2021 pandemic flying was literal fucking nightmare fuel.
>>
>>1837666
Flew through a thunderstorm over London back from Egypt. Really bad turbulence, it was at night so even more disorientating. The plane felt like it kept dropping loads, it was uncomfortable but not scary. The person in front of me was being sick and the person behind too which didn't help.
>>
>>1837777
>I'd tell you how I escaped but you wouldn't believe it.
Suddenly remembered your dermatologist appointment?
>>
flying over the ocean.
>>
>>1838029
based "Pull it." poster
>>
>>1837666
About a month ago I was experiencing sleep deprivation hallucinations on an airplane and as we were landing I thought "this isn't my city, I don't recognize it, we must be making an emergency landing" and I assumed the pilot wasn't saying anything to keep us calm
>>
I was on a flight last week where an older person a few rows back fucking died mid flight.

Seeing doctors and nurses do chest compressions on them for an hour wasn't the scary part so much as was how long it took the airline to land the plane from the time the staff found her and asked for the help of medical staff on the plane. We were just past Dallas when it happened and they didn't land the plane until over an hour later in New Mexico.
>>
I boarded a plane
>>
I was in this thing called "civil air patrol" in high school
its some civilian branch of the airforce which does fuck all I have no idea why it exists
but you can get free flying lessons through it so i did that
that wound up being a big scam too because there were only like 3 times I got to fly a crappy little 172 in like 2 years of membership or something
in one of them the pilot was a complete goober and didn't close the door when we were taking off

wasn't really scary just more of like a wtf moment

for some reason i find really bad turbulence comforting over the boredom of normal flights
>>
>>1837666
The guy next to me didn't have a mask on. The stewardess wouldn't even let me move
>>
Trying to land in Boston in bad weather
>>
Flight from Seattle to Portland was delayed for an hour. Mechanics running around looking at the engines right outside the window at the terminal the whole time. Nobody seemed to be doing anything but "checks".
Board the plane, buckle up etc. Its a small plane, maybe 20 rows, everyone has an isle or window seat.
The flight attendant buckles in near the pilots door, facing all of us passengers. She puts her head down and starts sobbing and white knuckleing her harness from takeoff to landing. About 45 minutes or an hour.
We land and she unbundled and ushers us all out the door with mascara running down her face.
Nobody used the restroom or unbundled the whole flight.
>>
>>1840075
wtf lol
>>
About to have my first flight in a long while

I'm a bit scared t b h, comfort me /n/ please

Something about being in the air just don't feel right
>>
>>1838025
Sounds about similar to mine. Flew back from vacation on the Canary Islands and there was a huge storm over the Bay of Biscay. Over an hour of nasty turbulences which made the plane feel like it was dropping 10 meters at a time. I've never seen so many vomit bags handed out during one flight.
>>
>>1840087
ur dead m8, there's nothing you can do now, just accept your fate and let it happen
>>
Being squeezed into and trapped in a pressurized metal tube 10000 feet in the air is quite uncomfortable, physically and mentally.
>>
>>1837666
Not as scary as some others, more unsettling, but if you sit at the very back of an older 777 after having sat on the wing, you will notice that in calm conditions your rearmost seat will be really wobbly as the entire fuselage bounces up and down across its length in a wave like a weight on the end of a long, thin wooden stick. It'll just feel a bit bumpy if you don't realise, but when you feel how smooth the ride actually is in the middle, you'd swear the thing is going to snap in half at any moment, and you wonder how on earth the tail can keep the plane straight with that much flexing going on.
>>
>>1840092
It's an odd sensation, like the feeling you get in a lift but worse.
>>
>>1840087
flying is safer than driving
>>
>>1840126
dont forget that it's packed full of kerosene too
>>
>>1837666
Came really close to a mid-air collision with another plane in the practice area, maybe 100 yards away at the same altitude. I was riding backseat in a two-student lesson and neither the other student nor the instructor saw the plane until I called it out.

That school was good in general, college program with great ground classes, nice 172s, and mostly good instructors but the one I got assigned to was terrible, really halfassed cavalier attitude about things, terrible situational awareness, and a horrible teaching style where he'd just sit there and give you very little guidance except snapping at you if you made a mistake. I genuinely believe that if it hadn't been for me spotting that other aircraft quickly (which I think I only did because years of War Thunder taught me to scan constantly) he may well have gotten us killed.
>>
>be 4 years old
>in dad's piper arrow
>flying home from florida
>over the appellation mountains
>fuel tank 1 runs out
>switch to fuel tank 2
>doesn't work
>eventually it works
>>
>>1840283
>appellation
kek
>>
>>1840285
spell check got the better of me
>>
File: 1549334746124.jpg (23 KB, 750x613)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>engine flameout out of nowhere on short haul flight immediately after takeoff
>shit bricks
>tard pilot says over intercom "don't worry its not as bad as it looks we just hit some birds"
>return to runway with 1 engine
>instead of having everyone use the emergency slides they have us wait 20 minutes to bring a set of air stairs to the main door
>never got my luggage back
>>
>>1837666
a 3 hour flight to dallas for work training on southwest cause my company were cheap bastards
>>
>>1840662
so your scariest flight was... a normal uneventful flight like 100,000 others each day... whoa
>>
>>1840669
if it wasn't for southwest having snacks and ginger ale im not sure i would have made it
>>
>>1840669
It’s not the plane I’d be worried about, it’s the passengers.
>>
>>1837666
Scariest thing was something I dont think anyone even noticed besides me on a flight to SFO I have taken a million times

We were landing in pea fog, like the densest fucking fog I've ever seen in the bay area and the fog broke for just a split second as we flew over the San Mateo bridge which is a marker that means you're like 2 minutes away from landing

The fog returned and then all of the sudden the pilot is putting in panicked aggressive maneuvers like hes searching for the fucking runway when we should be on the ground any second now.

For a few seconds I thought that we would die cuz it happened so fucking late and I couldn't see shit out the window.
>>
>>1840751
>all of the sudden the pilot is putting in panicked aggressive maneuvers like hes searching for the fucking runway
More likely he was fighting a gusty crosswind or something like that.
>>
>>1840762
It didnt feel like that at all

And it was stationary fog all around us
>>
>>1840300
To be fair, I bet emergency slides are expensive as fuck to replace.

Top kek at the pilot just being like "it's fine, it's just an engine that blew up"
>>
File: shock.jpg (12 KB, 269x243)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1837773
>>
File: girls laughing.png (394 KB, 446x400)
394 KB
394 KB PNG
>>1837960
>the pandemic
Get a load of this retard
>>
>>1840764
Oh. You know what it feels like do you? You were at the controls, looking at the instruments?
>>
>>1840827
>You know what it feels like do you?

Are you implying only a pilot could tell what happens to a plane at any given time?

Like a person flying constantly can't figure out if something is off based off a how the plane is reacting and at what time compared to the countless other times?

you're the goo brain who can't figure out what turbulence is until a professional voice on the intercom tells you what's going on?
>>
>>1837666
>fly to another airport for airshow (every plane from our school is going)
>hot and humid day
>need to cross small mountain range to get there
By the time I get to the pass, it is covered in cloud with zero visibility. I request routing through another pass, entire ge will soon be covered in clouds and if I don't make it through the mountains I will have to miss the airshow. Another issue was that I was seriously hung over from the night before so the planning, nav, weight loading, cg all that stuff I was sort of winging it because I was familiar with ac. So I get to another pass, almost entire area is now covered in clouds, there is small gap between the mountain, ok lets go, I am now inside the pass I realize I have never flown here before and I am way too low, at least 1500ft and and will not make it! The mountain in front of me is approching fast, apply full power, start a tight climbing turn, ac is seriously struggling, I see side of mountain approaching.. oh fuck..
I did manage gain enough altitude and clear the pass but it was close and I though I will crash and die. It was a good wake up call and soon after this incident I quit drinking for good.
>>
>>1840087
You're a fucking faggot and hopefully you will die of a panic attack before the plane lands
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Airlines_Flight_85
>>
File: vig1_500x373.jpg (18 KB, 500x373)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>1837666
>be bong air cadet
>go flying in vigilant motor gliders
>be having a nice relaxing flight
>enjoyin the views
>instructor takes control
>"ok so the paperwork says these planes arent supposed to be able to do aerobatics but i know they can"
>before i have a chance to ask what he means
>madman pulls an AGRESSIVE spiral dive
>dunno how many Gs it was but i felt my jaw be pulled open and i couldnt lift my arms from my lap at all
>saw the wing tips flex up
shitted myself tbqh
i thought the wings were gonna snap off
>>
>>1840273
I think that's bullshit.

All statistics use "deaths per millions miles traveled" which obviously goes strongly in favor of planes.

It doesn't take into consideration takeoffs&landings which are by far the most dangerous parts of flying.

If there were a deaths per trip statistic planes probably wouldn't stand so good.
>>
>>1837666
big drop on the approach to BOI from SNA. It was like being on one of those drop rides at the carnival.
>>
>circa 2003
>about 10 years old
>flying from los angeles to atlanta
>on a stretched as fuck 757 that felt like it had 90 rows
>family seats get split up, somehow end up sitting way in the back with strangers
>shit my pants about 30 minutes into the flight
>too afraid to move and go find my mom since the smell would be released
>cried silently the rest of the flight unable to get up or even adjust in my seat
>waited until everyone else got off the plane
>>
>>1842211
>shitting yoir pants at 10yo
o i am laffin
>>
>>1842198
People drive around like idiots all the time. All you need is a little test and you get to drive wherever.

Pilots take years to fly a plane and there are 100s of other security factors that are taken into account.

I feel way safer on a smooth flight than walking next to a busy road.
>>
>>1842211
Why did you shit your pants?
>>
>>1842212
Nothing wrong with that
>>
>>1842198
Here is an example: Qantas entered the jet age in 1956 and 0 people have died on Qantas flights since then. I'm not good at math, but I think that's 0 deaths per trip.
>>
>>1842256
The longer they maintain their excelent safety record the more likely for a disaster to occur, its like winning in slots or some roulette game, you win once or twice, three times then what are the chances that you continue winning 4, 5, 6 times and so on and never lose, it is just impossible.
>>
>>1842259
Comparing it to roulette is a false equivalence because safety is something you can control to a large extent. The chance of a fatal accident happening is never zero, but it's extremely low for commercial planes. The point is that planes are much safer than cars, even if you count on a per-trip basis.
>>
>>1842269
To large extent but not completely, and accident can always happen and in fact will happen sooner or later.
Planes are safe as long as nothing goes wrong, but when some critical system fails during fligts that will likely result in death for all onboard, also while in the car it would most likely result in a car stopping on the road or maybe a light crash (lose a wheel at 70 mph or lose a wing at 700kts). Now while many people die in car collisions everyday, many people also survive (I had three collisions in the last 10 years, all three resulted only in minor damage to the car), if 2 passenger jets collide in the air, it will result in death of all those passengers onboard.
So you can keep telling yourself that planes are safer but I rather risk a car accudent than a plane accident.
>>
File: kMB2u9g.jpg (31 KB, 600x600)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1837666
I traveled when my son was 1 and he had a massive shitsplosion mid flight.
>>
>>1840075
That's retarded, I guess I'm just gonna die because I'm still on the clock.
>>
>>1842239
You should be able to control your bowels by when you're around 7
>>
>>1842259
ok but what does the future likelyhood of an accident have to do with anything in this case? They were discussing historical safety statistics of cars vs. airplanes. Airplanes have become extremely safe in recent years.
>>
>>1842277
>t. proud cuck
>>
>>1842272
I don't have to tell myself anything, planes are safer than cars. It's a simple fact.
>but when some critical system fails during fligts that will likely result in death for all onboard
That's not necessarily true, see
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flight_72
It's not even true for freak accidents like
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232

>but I rather risk a car accudent than a plane accident
Your chance of dying in a car accident is 1 in 101. The chance of getting into a plane crash is lower than the chance of getting struck by lightening.
>>
>>1837960
What pandemic?
>>
>>1837666
One time I flew with Air Canada
>>
>>1842690
my condolences

My flying into YYZ experience:

- Air Canada plane is delayed by 40min
- There is turbulence literally the entire 1.5hr flight
- Finally go through customs and get interrogated for like 30min because staying for months is "suspicious" if you aren't an old fart, they finally back off when I show them my bank account statements / apartment lease / proof I won't overstay like they think
>try to to take the sky train to the train station but I can't because it was ON FIRE
>have to take a GO Bus to the train station instead, takes forever to find it and its completely packed with people during peak covid and there is no seating room
>bus driver is insane and keeps slamming on the brakes every 2s causing everyone to literally fall over constantly
>people with quebec plates keep cutting him off causing him to slam on the brakes, plus he just does it for no reason as well
>i accidentally grab the hair of the woman infront of me 1-2 times annoying her (I was trying to balance) in the process
>finally arrive at the train station, miss my via train due to above bullshit
>I can take the go train instead but it will only get me halfway to my destination because that is also having issues and has a mandatory bus transfer
>finally my friend just drives 1hr and meets me halfway because the entire Toronto public transit system has collapsed.

I still don't want to pay monthly for a car but holy fuck I understand why people despite public transit now.
>>
>>1842859
Pearson is the only airport I'm familiar with so I don't notice the atrocities.
>>
>>1837666
Turbulence on my first memorable flight at thirteen or so. I thought the plane was going to fall apart in the sky.

The idea of pilot error and mechanical failures still scare the fuck out of me, even if I know that flying is considered safer than by cars.
>>
My first flight ever is in 4 hours. Is it better to focus and face the fear or to distract myself with a game or movie?
>>
>>1843226
It's boring as fuck unless you keep reminding yourself you're unimaginably high in the sky
>>
>>1843239
>It's boring as fuck
nah dude
i've flown dozens of times and i'm still not over the novelty
it's fucking amazing

you're FLYING
>>
>>1843226
the takeoff is the best part, try to get a window seat
>>
>>1837737
> ambuloceti
Kek. I had to google that but thanks for encouraging me to learn.
>>1838083
What did you expect them to do, bail on a freeway to unload the stiff?
>>1842259
That's not how chance works. If you throw a six, you've got exactly the same chance of throwing a six with next. Also as >>1842269 says, it's not just chance.
>>1843241
This. I still love it. Gives me a chance to listen to music or watch a movie too.
>>
File: 1658146716129173.jpg (26 KB, 320x289)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>1842859
>try to to take the sky train to the train station but I can't because it was ON FIRE
>>
>>1843226
>>1843242
This, takeoff is great fun, the rest is boring. You have nothing to be scared of, just relax, you just sit in a seat for a few hours, that's it.
>>
>>1843261
>>1843242
>>1843239
How does it compare to a fair ride, or pool slide? I dont fear a crash, only the take off levitating sensation
>>
>>1843264
it's like a really fast car acceleration mixed with a really fast elevator
also it's very loud and everything rattles
>>
>>1843264
It's like the feeling you get when you go in a lift. Make sure you know how to pop your ears (squeeze nose and blow) as you'll need to do that in the flight.
>>
>>1843265
>really fast car acceleration
Only on takeoff, don't scare him.
>>
>>1843269
I assumed that was the part he was asking about
>>
>>1843264
I'm ok with takeoff. I just get really nervous before the penis inspection.
>>
>>1837666
Voluminous American entities.
>>
>>1842339
Lmao look at this butthole nazi
33 here, shit my pants every other week and ain't nothing you can do about it
Cope, seethe etc
>>
>Flying on a sea plane from Porirua to Picton, hit a big wave landing and the strut broke, the plane “did the splits” and we sank (in two feet of water), but it wasn’t really scary.
flying on any small plane between Wellington and Picton, now that’s the scary part.
>once on a small jet, like a320 or 737 and got hit by lightning while descending for a landing, there was a huge bang sound and bright lightning flash from the windows, everything turned off, lights and air vents went off and everything was silent inside, everyone just looking at each other with a “holy shit” face for 1 second, before shit booted back up and everything came back on. pretty much nobody talked the rest of the way to the ground, just a few murmurs here and there.
And lastly
>get on Royal Brunei Airlines flight
>Islamic prayer starts playing as the plane rolls back like I’m a suicide bomber on a fuckin jihad
>>
>long international flight from EU to US
>tired as fuck and flying with food poisoning
>literally puked during takeoff running to restroom with flight attendants yelling at me to go back to my seat
>same flight
>getting to land
>maybe 100ft off the ground
>huge thrust and sharp pull up
>feel like fucking shit about to lose it again
>pilot comes on the intercom
>"... well folks we just had to abort our landing and are taking a go around. A plane was taxiing and went onto our runway"

really wasn't all that scary but it was by far the most G's I'd felt a 767 pull. could have died, well worth feeling sick, thanks pilot
>>
>>1843319
The worst part of the inspection is when the Inspector gives you an airplane model designation based on your size (length AND girth). I got 737...could've been worse. poor guy behind me was graded as a Cessna 172.
>>
>>1845040
Got super guppy certification yesterday. What does this mean?
>>
I got into an argument over a kid kicking my seat and it turned out the kid was autistic and the dad was Italian.
>>
>>1840087
Watch a vid of someone doimg a proper flight in a simulator like msf2020 while he explains what's happening
>>
>>1840896
lol
>>
A "small" cabin fire and the captain dealt with it by shutting off all the lights and landing at the airport normally. Seriously thought I was going to die. After we got off I was caked in soot and someone stole my luggage. Multiple people were choking up black spit and had to be walked to a nearby clinic. Captain was visibly drunk and his girlfriend picked him up from the runway, copilot then got shitfaced in the bar next to the airport. I went to my hotel, complained about the lost luggage, and a week later the airline both agreed that it was one of their employees who stole it but also refused to compensate me as they had no money that week. My friend's luggage was smoked and melted so we had to buy new clothes. Then during our stay, the pilot for real crashed the plane into another plane while taxiing and grounded the country's only nonstop service to Europe. Me and my friend then took a bus across the border and Air France'd our way back at a price comparable to the rest of the vacation. My crazy friend actually bought a car and drove it to Spain.

before anyone asks the country in question has since descended into civil war twice and tourists are regularly kidnapped, their meager domestic airline has been largely destroyed by terrorists or taken as collateral by the IMF
>>
>>1846961

Also, before anyone asks this wasn't a small plane. This was an MD-80. The "accident" in question was when he turned into a IL-76 or some other equally shit soviet airplane.
>>
>>1837737
>fr fr
???
>>
watching morbidly obese people in boarding group C eye the empty middle seat next to you on Southwest. Then feeling their ass fat expand onto your seat and touch your leg.
>>
>>1837666
When I was boarding my flight and looked at the plane I realized it was a Boing 737
I nearly shit my pants
>>
>>1847175
and then nothing happened
>>
>>1846961
the fuck
>>
Nothing too bad except in Feb 2020 there was a storm that grounded every flight except mine, felt like we were boarding a flight to our death when the 30 of us got on this tiny propellor plane
>>
>at Moscow Airport
>see my plane outside the window getting fueled up
>they remove the hose
>it's still pumping fuel
>it spills fucking everywhere
>workers didn't seem to care, took their time until they decided to stop it
I felt somewhat uncomfortable knowing my plane was soaked in fuel.
>>
>>1846961
Just tell us what country already
>>
>>1837666
a good ryanair landing
>>
>>1837666
third time online check-in seated me between two women.
last time it was a young-stronk-single-mother with her daugther. I had to give up my window side for the corridor.
I'm being mindfucked by airlines.
>>
>>1848121
begin booking the entire row, extra cost be damned
at least it gets you away from women
>>
>>1837666
>What's the scariest thing you've ever experienced in an airplane?
In a plane flying into the teeth of a strong gale at night, trying to get home for Christmas. Pilot was fighting the storm the whole way.
Just coming into land when there's a very strong down-gust. Plane drops like a stone!
But we'd just made it over the runway, and we hit it hard. All the luggage compartments opened and scattered carry-on luggage over everyone, but we were cheering. We were alive.
The captain came on the intercom to apologize for the rough landing, but you could hear the relief in his voice.

I don't like flying in the winter.
>>
I was on a United flight from SFO to Dulles and there was this huge fatass sitting in the emergency row, which isn't allowed but the flight attendants just let it happen anyways

If we needed to get out for whatever reason there was no way that guy could've gone through the door
>>
>>1837666
Turbulence at night over the sea.

With no visual reference you don't know wether you're going up or down.

That's fuckin scary.
>>
>>1846961
You people sure love skipping on the important details out of a fear of being doxxed, as if you were the only fucking person in your country to ever post on 4chan.
Post the country and airline you fucking retard.
>>
>Departing from Salzburg at night
>Taxiing is taking a little while
>After being stopped for a while, starts taxiing again
>Trundling along for a few moments
>HARD braking
>Plane lands on the runway
I feel like I nearly got Tenerifed
>>
>>1837666
Medium turbulence. Now back to hell with you.
>>
>>1837960
silly goy
>>
>>1840273
>/n/
>driving
>>
>flight delayed a couple hours for "electical issues"
>get on plane
>fly 30 minutes of 45 minute flight (regional jet)
>inexplicably circle mountain for an hour
>massive hard feeling drops in altitude throughout hour long mountain circling
>finally approach airport by taking flight path above river, which is not the normal approach here
pilot never said shit about what the fuck was going on, never getting on another plane delayed for maintenance issues.
>>
>>1850358
Where in colombia was this?
>>
>>1848016
>>1849518
Two civil wars in recent memory, unsafe, and Airfrans service, my first guess is Libya.
>>
>>1848015
>>at Moscow Airport
flying in Russia was your first mistake
>>
File: 1662624119477205.gif (1.91 MB, 331x197)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB GIF
>>1837773
Oh sweet serenity, this one takes the cake. I would fake a medical emergency and demand to be let off the plane.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (93 KB, 1280x720)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
the most dangerous thing about airplanes and airports is the government
>>
>>1840817

One engine failure legit isn't even a full emergency, commercial airlines can get around just fine on one engine.
>>
>>1840844
if you were in fog it is entirely possible the plane was perfectly stable on approach and you just were experiencing an in flight illusion caused by your inner ear, retard, so yes in 0 vis conditions only the pilots looking at the instrument really knows what is going on
>>
File: 1657926352170.jpg (2.19 MB, 2614x1669)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
>>1840300
fun fact but engine failures aren't even treated as a serious time critical threat in the airlines. It's a caution message which is less serious than a warning message(engine FIRE is a warning). Also you do not want to be going down those slides onto a hard concrete runway because you are like 40 feet up and could easily break an ankle or get seriously injured.
>>
>>1837960
>Pandemic
Trust the science™
>>
>>1843264
>I dont fear a crash, only the take off levitating sensation.
Same. I hate that feeling of weightlessness/that there's nothing under you. Luckily it's not felt during cruise.
>>
>>1843226
Some travel sickness medicines are mild dissociatives. They make it alright.
>>
>>1851889
>just take pills for every mild inconvenience
american detected
>>
>>1850364
this was a flight departing dallas fort worth international, not some third world shit hole.
>>
>>
File: 1578970740073.jpg (164 KB, 605x2000)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>1837666
van zanten
>>
File: 1658562113889093.png (95 KB, 680x681)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
>>1842259
wrong law retard
>>
>>1851985
Isn't Dallas in USA?
>>
File: Americandogs.jpg (377 KB, 1152x1152)
377 KB
377 KB JPG
>>1852234
kek
>>
File: 1659627555910628.gif (786 KB, 460x403)
786 KB
786 KB GIF
>>1837666
well satan, once on take off a landing gear tire blew. we were instructed to brace for a potential crash landing when we got to our destination. i remember a terrifyingly loud squealing sound made by the metal rim of the gear when we landed and i covered my ears. my brother later said that their were fire trucks visible from the runway that i somehow didn't notice.

another time a navigation chip went out halfway through a cross-country flight and we had to turn back around to our origin for some reason. it wasn't scary, but it took a loooooong time.
>>
I was doing ground reference maneuvers with a student on a checkride at 800 ft in the middle of nowhere when the exhaust valve on the #3 cylinder stuck. Heavy vibrations and full power was just enough to not sink, but not enough to return to an airport. Miraculously it unstuck itself after a bit and regained power. Pic related was my face when I stared at my shaking instruments wondering what the fuck was goin on.

Unforecasted IMC and snow over the mountains at night without anti ice was a bit uncomfortable too. I could see lights 50 miles in the distance through a hole straight ahead, and every time the strobes flashes I’d see a wall of precipitation around me.
>>
>>1837666
One time i was on aredeye and some 80 year old indian yogi dude curled up into a little ball next to me. At first I was scared when he fell asleep on my shoulder, but then I relaxed and fell asleep too. :)
>>
>>1851863
>Working on avionics audio system
>Look through audio callouts and priority
>Windshear is #1
>Terrain/Pull Up is #2
I don’t remember exactly, but I don’t think fire even had an aural warning beyond a basic beeping.
>>
File: 1644403028264.png (414 KB, 568x660)
414 KB
414 KB PNG
>>1840126
Actually more like 30000-40000 feet in the air. If there was a rapid decompression you'd probably lose consciousness in seconds before you even realize to don one of those little passenger cope masks.
>>
>>1852872
The recovery techniques for windshear and terrain are the same, but windshear is arguably more dangerous.
>>
>>1840126
it's quite comforting until you need to use the restroom and theres 2 people you ha e to talk to
>>
>>1842256
Based Rainman poster is based
>>
>>1853015
that's why we're trained to dive down at a near vertical angle to approx 10,000ft the second we clock any kind of pressure anomaly
>>
>>1842259
fantastic bait, I almost fell for this one
>>
File: 1657998363036.png (40 KB, 400x465)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>be C-130H copilot
>at Pueblo for a gas stop on our way to Tacoma
>angry clouds start gathering
>if we delayed any more than 1-2 hours we would bust our crew day
>taxi out of parking, get runway 8L at first
>winds start to change erratically
>runway changes from 8 to 17 to 35 over the course of 10 minutes while running checklists
>ATC tells us the winds seem to be stabilizing towards runway 35
>Pilot says fuck it, WE GAAN and takes off on runway 35
>hit rotation speed about 500' from the end of the runway
>gears up, but speed is not increasing
>navigator starts reading out our radar altimeter
>"100... 100... 100... "
>our climb rate was just matching the rising terrain off the end of runway 35
>speed is still barely increasing
>"100... 100... 100..."
>Tower starts calling us to warn about towers along our flight path in a somewhat frantic tone
>finally the speed starts to increase
>pilot immediately turns east towards lower terrain and we start climbing out as normal
>whole crew was silent the entire time besides the navigator's radalt readings
>flight engineer had his boot on the throttles just to make sure they were maxed out

Turns out we took off into a microburst :^) oh and I noticed just as we rotated that the windsocks on each side of the field were fully erect and pointed in opposite directions :^)))
>>
>>1853143
>that story
That'll cause an asshole to clench.
>>
>>1842256
>Qantas entered the jet age in 1956 and 0 people have died on Qantas flights since then
Pretty sure that a number of people have died on Qantas flights, especially considering that their intercontinental flights are very long.
>>
File: 1663825709129.jpg (70 KB, 250x411)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>1853218
not my problem mate
>>
I’m a first officer of type 737 NG, one time I flew with a cancer of a captain who liked to vacate the runway in the shortest possible distance, it was like a game to him, one time I was pilot flying and as soon as I touched down, he took control and started giving full reverse even though our company procedure calls for idle reverse unless in need, he then saw an exit approaching and slammed manual brakes so had and then turned towards it, the plane was still a bit too fast for that tight turn, and one tyre burst and we had to park in the taxiway and ask fire trucks to cool our brakes and tyres before disembarking, what a shitshow that day was, obviously I immediately called out his shit and mentioned in my report, FDM also confirmed what happened and he was grounded for 6 months and his instructor candidacy was removed, that asshole put me in a shitstorm of being interviewed by CA and all Saftey investigations stuff, I was low hours back then, bad times
>>
>>1850377
No, I’m a Libyan pilot, I don’t remember an accident like that happened here
>>
>>1840273
yeah when you count shitholes like india china and america in the statistics you'll come up with a shitload of road deaths that just dont happen in developed countries
cross them out and driving is much safer
>>
>>1853287
Counterpoint: the overwhelming majority of commercial airline fatalities happen in the same shitty 3rd world countries. Compare apples to apples
>>
>>1842224
see
>>1837773
>>
Caught a glimpse of my reflection in the window.
>>
>>1846961
has to be libya, sudan, or Yemen
>>
Landing in a Copa Airlines flight from Panama to Bogota, I swear, the pilot nearly lost control of the aircraft once it hit the runway. We steered HARD, really fucking hard to the right for a second and then he corrected. Or I don't know if this is relatively common, since I've taken very few flights. I got scared af and everyone looked at each other but didn't say a thing.
>>
>>1853478
that's not uncommon with crosswinds
>>
the two times i crashed landed, once in a seneca 2 and once in a lsa after flight for 3 hour over nothing in the amazon jungle
>>
>>1837666
A girl stranger was seated next to me and talked to me for much of the flight, put her head on my shoulder, and grabbed me when there was turbulence.
>>
>>1853569
chills. hope you were ok
>>
>>1853613
it haunts me to this day
>>
>>1853614
>>1853613
i was a 21 year old virgin american on my way home from belgium and she was a cute belgian girl. she mentioned she had a boyfriend but was being very touchy-feely with me and said she was coming to travel the US alone for a bit. i don't remember if i asked her if she had an american phone number or even a facebook or anything - i probably pussed out. i'll always remember because it was very bizarre and i didn't actually act like a huge spazz for once, so it almost seems surreal.
>>
>>1853569
>>1853618
Meanwhile all I get is some smelly fat Austalian blob of female sleeping and drooling on me. She couldn’t stay within her seat.
>>
>>1853667
You should have shat your pants out of spite
>>
>>1853567
>the two times i crashed landed
Excuse me what the fuck
>>
>>1853618
Why the fuck would she have an american phone number? Did you have a belgian phone number?
>>
>>1837960
This unironically.

Remember flying to see my family in Papua New Guinea. I spent atleast £3,000 on the cheapest tickets possible, took me 2 months to get diplomatic permission to transit Singapore (this is June 2020, at the height of things).

After all the effort and time spent, I was not going to let a cold fuck me over!

I got there, and funnily enough, I was covid positive at the airport on the day of my return flight so I wasn't allowed to travel. Told me boss I'm not going to come in for a further 3 weeks. Got a 9 week paid vacation total.

I was fairly sick for 1-2 weeks though.
>>
>>1853618
all it took for you to not act like a spazz is for you to actually feel uncomfortable
>>
>>1853720
I don't know. It was 2008 barely any people had smartphones. A lot of the other American dudes I was staying with in Belgium would get a new SIM card. It makes sense for long-term travel in another country.
>>
>>1853790
I felt oddly comfortable, actually.
>>
>>1842688
The politiciandemic
>>
>>1842198
>If there were a deaths per trip statistic planes probably wouldn't stand so good.
Tens of millions of flights annually against hundreds of deaths; considering that aircraft typically have more than just one pilot on board, even fatal incidents per trip would be extremely favorable.
>>
>>1837960
I went to Greece and Spain on holiday in 2020 lmao
>>
>>1853218
He means zero fatalities in accidents. Elderly people dying on long flights is regular enough that they train flight attendants on how to deal with it.
>>
>>1853478
Probably crabbing into a crosswind. You basically fly the plane at an angle to deal with the wind then correct the second you're on the ground.
>>
>>1837737
fippy bippy
>>
Any anons been in plane incidents or accidents that warranted a Wikipedia entry?
>>
>>1837773
Jesus Christ, how horrifying.
>>
>>1853719
its pretty common while flying for gold diggers
>>
>>1837666
Nothing. I don't fear death and I relish the though of an epic plane crash death.

Female pilot breaking the rules and doing more than 3 go arounds at Christmas Island (against the rules) in alternate low cloud/cloud on ground was pretty spicy though.

Frankly the most scary part of flying is having to sit near disgusting people.
>>
>>1840871
>Another issue was that I was seriously hung over from the night before so the planning, nav, weight loading, cg all that stuff I was sort of winging it because I was familiar with ac.
You fucking moron you deserved your near death experience.
>>
>>1846961
Based, typcial American flying experience though.
>>
i bet (not everyone) as kids were
>atleast terrified / fascinated by airplanes
>>
>>1846961
Yemen? South Sudan? Somalia?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.