[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 30 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 2.png (1.52 MB, 960x960)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB PNG
Which is the superior form of city transportation?
Cyclists need not apply
>>
>>1835626
>>
File: 1605573669145.jpg (37 KB, 640x795)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>Which is the superior form of city transportation?
>Superior form of city transportation need not apply
>>
walking
>>
Trains for rapid transport from outside the city.
Trams for transport between parts of the city.
Buses for fine-grained transport within the city and tangential lines.
>Taxis to fill any gaps during low demand times.
>Bicycles and scooters for wankers.
>Walking for the last mile/meters.
>>
>>1835626
Cycling. And yes, I don't give a damn about that stupid rule you want me to follow. Btw, I'm cyclist.
>>
File: Obus_SVE_2181.jpg (2.48 MB, 2478x1652)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB JPG
Bus if bendy and wirey.
>>
>>1835626

Bus

>Easiest to add/remove routes
>Most flexible in terms of shifting resources around network
>Cheapest vehicles (that can carry more than a car/minivan)
>Does not require construction of separate grade/network to function (see: train lines, tram lines, bicycle paths)

Buses can also be dedicated to jobs outside of 'conventional' mass transit. Where I went to school, the city dedicated a small fleet of city buses that the students could take as dedicated 'express' lines. Or for infrequent but scheduled shuttles for places like Retirement Homes, Hospitals, etc.
>>
>>1835626
Mogs them all
>>
>>1835626
There must be train tracks everywhere, everyone will have their own personal little train.
>>
>>1835869
literally the worst of both worlds with very few benefits
>>
>>1835869
A bicycle is better for a city.
>>
Underground trains > trams > buses > getting a taxi everywhere

Cycling depends on how hilly the city is. If the city is flat, it's the best, but nobody wants to cycle uphill all day.
>>
File: honda.jpg (179 KB, 1500x1125)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>1835869
>supersport

"no"
>>
>>1835869
Fuck off with your fucking noise and stink, you piece of shit.
>>
>>1835869
>I need to accelerate faster than a formula 1 car in the middle of a city and lanesplit going 75mph in slow moving traffic and set off car alarms with the noise because "loud pipes save lives"
Disgusting adolescent boy mentality, everyone hates you even the recipients of your organs when you splat
>>
>>1835869
Only if you can lane split
>>
>>1835626
Taxi is by far the best. Hop in, get where you’re going and get out. Uber is a close second due to the app hassle.
>>
>>1835626
Your own car obviously. You do own a car, right?
>>
>>1835626
Cycling. I'm not a cyclist so I can say it.
>>
>>1835869
>"BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBBBJJVHVVVFVTHVNFV"
haha yeah your dick must be so big
>>
>Ctrl+F
>No rickshaws
I seriously have concerns for the future of /n/.
>>
>>
>>1835626
>Cyclists need not apply
Because we already know that they are best
>>
obviously heavy rail since the propulsion sounds make me nut, plus r46s and m7s are super cute
>>
File: 自転車.jpg (2.68 MB, 1451x2176)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB JPG
>Which is the superior form of city transportation?
Probably something like this.

And don't fret, friend, that I have posted an image of a bicycle.

For I am not a "cyclist", and therefore OP's exclusion does not apply to me.
>>
>>1835626
Real talk: It always depends on your route, and also whether or not you're carrying cargo with you. Depending on the city and your destination it might be faster to take the train and reach it by bicycle instead of driving there. But then that would assume you're only carrying supplies for to support you for a limited amount of time, and not carrying anything or anyone back. In which case it would be better to use a car.
>>
>>1836197
agree, all of the above is the right answer, time and place for everything, especially since cities aren't designed perfectly, you can't idealize everything. I do see little value in trams and light rail though
train + bicycle is my favorite from a user perspective, if winters weren't so shit and summers so hot
>>
>>1836030
I really want to get one of these in the hopes i can pass it off as just a motorized bicycle so i dont need registration
>>
>>1835626
Bicycles. I fucked your GF.
>>
>>1835869
>posts 1 motorcycle
>every reply seethes
QED
>>
>>1835626
Grassy tracks looks cool, tho Im guessing shit like this will get ripped out after 0.5 seconds because some retard let his kids play there as if it was a park and got killed
>>
>>1835626
In small but somewhat dense cities (up to a few million) – bigger is ok for rather flat topographies – as are typical in Europe, bikes are the ultimate form of transportation. You can take the straightest way without having to change vehicles, you can often utilize shortcuts other modes of transportation cannot as you are less dependent on the infrastructure in place, you cannot be stopped by traffic jams.
Only in very large cities which don't have a metro system, motor scooters take over, as going distances become too long to be taken as casual commutes and require more serious commitment to the bicycle.
>>
>>1836286
come to Vienna and you'll realize that the combination of all those modes is perfection. More options = more better

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.