[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 21 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

Welcome to Indian Transportation General. This is Indian Railways edition. I am just an autist from India trying to spend time here to cut back on things I don't want to remain in my lifestyle.

I will be telling and discussing about Indian Transportation, its history, present and future here, theme of this edition will be Indian Railways

I will be starting with few random facts:

First train in India, ran from Bombay to Thane, a 34km stretch.

Indian Railways is the fourth largest rail network in the world, carrying more than 23 million passengers a day.

Indian Railways is managed by the state and is among the world's largest employers, employing more than 1.4 million people.
>>
File: rail bhavan.jpg (101 KB, 1023x605)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>1834707
In Pic, Rail Bhavan, Indian Railways headquarters and the office of the Ministry of Railways.
>>
If you're still using ALCO trains and needed parts, unfortunately the only places you can get said parts (that isn't some east coast train chop shop) is India

India still manufacture ALCO locomotives and parts
>>
>>1834708
A comparative map of Indian Rail Network, from 1909 and 2020

>>1834715
>unfortunately the only places you can get said parts (that isn't some east coast train chop shop) is India
Why are you disappointed anon, we locally produce both Old and New tech trains, and unlike other stuff they are quite sturdy and dependable.
>>
>>1834720
Indian Railways is divided into 19 zones and 70 divisions.
>>
>>1834720
Eww
>>
>>1834724

There are multiple coach classes present in Indian Railways. From Luxury 5 star coaches to coaches for the economically weaker and poor people. Guaranteeing everyone the right to travel.

Coach Classes present in the Indian Railway system.

Saloon and Luxury Coaches - They aim to provide hotel ambience on Trains, with services like Master Bedrooms, Kitchen, Window Railings. The Luxury coaches aim to provide the most premium comfort during train travel

1AC/2AC/3AC - The three tiers of Air Conditioned coaches, with the 1st AC having few and exclusive amount of births. The fare of 1st AC is almost equal to Air travel, but it comes with more privacy and comfort while 3AC provides the same comfort like an economy flight but with sleeping births.

Economy - These are for middle class section of society who can't afford 3AC but can't travel in non AC coaches either. They are same as economy coaches but they have air conditioning

Vistadome - These coaches are built for tourist trains with glass ceiling to provide best scenic travel experience.

EC - Executive Chair coaches - These trains don't have your traditional birthing system, rather they have a similar sitting arrangement as in flights.

Sleeping coaches and General coaches - These are your basic non AC coaches, that resemble the Old Trains. They are usually overcrowded as they are meant for the poor and economically weaker section of the society. All the chaos of Indian Railways you see, comes from these coaches
>>
>>1834742
Now to the fun part, let's post some desi Choo Choos

Passenger Trains

These are your famous over crowded Indian trains. These are passenger trains, but anon, all trains are passenger trains. Yes, but these your dirt cheap local transport trains. Usually connecting nearby cities withing a state or the bordering cities of two or more states.

These trains usually serve the purpose of collecting people from outer cities to a main city, providing ease of travel for the labour but are widely used by public for traveling too as they are much cheaper than a bus. And most of the times, if you are a local, you will just board the train for free without paying anything in most state (Illegally but you can always gang up and beat the person questioning you)
>>
File: o-TRAIN-MUMBAI-facebook.jpg (488 KB, 2000x1000)
488 KB
488 KB JPG
>>1834750
Mumbai Locals

Usually Passenger trains are slow trains 45km/hr or 28mph connecting cities in a radius of 100-200km while connecting a major city in a radius of 500-800km.

But mumbai locals are passenger trains exclusive for traveling inside mumbai. Mumbai lack the space to build a better faster and alternative modes of transportation like Metros and raods have a huge jam problem with few alternatives of building flyovers and alternative routes, the city uses its old Passenger train system for Public travel, where they use the normal trains as a metro/subway system

This system is available in other Indian cities too but it is not as extensively used as Mumbai by the local public due much better and faster alternatives existing. And is usually only used by the freight corridor
>>
>>1834757

Toy Trains also known as Mountain Rails

These cute choo choos operate in high altitude areas with a very few number of coaches hence are called Toy trains due to the small length. These aesthetically pleasing tiny trains are named Toy Trains and run of high altitude areas like mountains and hills.

Pic Kalka Shimla Himachal Toy Train, connecting three cities located on the Himalayan Mountains
>>
>>1834759
Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, pic related is the second toy train and actually looks like a toy train due to it cute small size, the train passes through the tea gardens of Darjeeling at the foothills of Himalayas
>>
>>1834760
Nilgiri Mountain Rail, pic related runs on the southern Indian mountains of Nilgiri and is the third toy train on the list.
>>
Is there on-board catering and how is it?
>>
>>1834750
Tell me, why do they have jail bars on the windows?
>>
>>1834764
Matheran Hill Rail, the fourth toy train on the list runs on the lush green hills of western ghats

>>1834765
Yes, there is a separate public company (state owned) IRCTC that take cares of catering in Indian Railways and it's usually shit. Basically same as flight food. The taste will always feel off. Fun fact, the railway makes everything used in the catering locally instead of outsourcing, including bottled water.

>>1834768
The bars are on Non-AC coaches which are economic coaches for poor people and cheap travels. These coaches don't have Air Conditioning so they can't have glass windows as then the window will be sealed and there will be no ventilation and the bars prevent children and autists from taking their heads out in moving trains. Even with bars, quite a lot of autists lose their hands because of taking it out in a moving train.
>>
File: kangra valley rail.jpg (386 KB, 1024x1024)
386 KB
386 KB JPG
>>1834779
Kangra Valley Rail, the fifth train on the toy train list runs on the Himalayan Kangra Valley.
>>
File: emu.jpg (12 KB, 274x184)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
how old is this MU design and how long is it produced?
>>
File: Maharaja Express.jpg (1.6 MB, 1418x1262)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>>1834784
Luxury Trains, these trains are epitome of luxury train travels and comes with luxury suits built inside the train, they include a serving staff, chefs, kitchen, bar, dining halls and lounge. Many of them have been featured in many movies due to their fancy interiors.

Pic related Maharaja Express (Maharaja meaning The King)

>>1834789
Hmm the first EMU was introduced in 1920s and the MU design is still used for most of Diesel and Electric locomotives and are still produced.
>>
File: Palace on Wheels.jpg (1.54 MB, 969x1544)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>1834793
Palace on Wheels is the second luxury train on the list
>>
File: DO.jpg (1.79 MB, 1328x1370)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB JPG
>>1834797
Deccan Odyssey is the third luxury train on the list
>>
File: The Golden Chariot.jpg (1.91 MB, 1130x1888)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
>>1834807
The Golden Chariot is the fourth luxury train on the list.
>>
File: Duronto.jpg (191 KB, 1200x675)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>>1834810
Duronto Expresses

These are express trains for long distance travel within India. These trains run on an average speed of 60-90km/hr.

Duronto expresses are no stop trains between remote Indian cities, the shortest route being 500km and the longest 2700km.
>>
File: prayagraj express.jpg (875 KB, 1280x854)
875 KB
875 KB JPG
>>1834814
Super fast trains aka mail trains

Unironically these trains aren't either super nor the fastest train in Indian Railways and run on an average speed of 55Km/h
>>
File: mail.jpg (1.08 MB, 1600x1032)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>1834817
Mail Trains or Normal Express Train

These are the reason why "Super Fast Trains" are called that. These train run on an average speed of 36km/hr.

The jump from average speed of 36km/h to 55km/h is what made the Super fast trains.
>>
File: Rajdhani-Express.jpg (653 KB, 1800x1200)
653 KB
653 KB JPG
>>1834818

Rajdhani Express

Usually dubbed as the King of Express trains, these express trains run on an average speed of 80km/h. They are identified by their orange and gray coaches, pic related and are no different from Superfast trains except for the fact that Rajdhani Express run exclusive from the Capital of Delhi to major Indian Cities.

Hence it's name Rajdhani i.e. Capital

It's time for me to sleep, will continue the thread tomorrow
>>
Thanks OP for showing off a train system I didn't really know much about.
>>
>>1834750
>And most of the times, if you are a local, you will just board the train for free without paying anything in most state (Illegally but you can always gang up and beat the person questioning you)
I laughed. Thanks for the thread OP
>>
File: shatabdi.jpg (380 KB, 656x669)
380 KB
380 KB JPG
>>1834819
Shatabdi Express, Shatabdi means Centenary, these trains were introduce to commemorate the birth centenary of Prime Minister of India

These trains, introduced in late eighties were and still are the one of the most premium trains. These trains provide one day travel between Indian cities by reducing the traveling time with few stops and faster average speeds. One of the most punctual trains in Indian railways.

Shatabdis were the first trains in India that didn't have the birthing sitting arrangement and had Executive Chairs or Chair carts and hence were seen as the most advanced and modern trains, as the whole train had Air Conditioning and there were no sleeper births on it. The train travel comes with refreshment, food and a newspaper for the passengers.

But now these same trains feel run down and ill equipped as the 1AC/2AC/3AC cars in normal trains provide better comfort and amenities.

The trains run on an average speed of 91km/h and maximum top speed allowed of 150km/h

To fix this issue, they are modernizing the Shatabdis by adding small screens to watch movies and a little library in coaches. Pic related have old Shatabdi coaches and ones they are modernizing it with.

>>1834821
>>1834832
your welcome anons.
>>
File: icf.png (172 KB, 572x445)
172 KB
172 KB PNG
did any of the initial Swiss built ICF Rake get preserved in India?
>>
File: Jan Shatabdi Express.jpg (469 KB, 889x577)
469 KB
469 KB JPG
>>1835082
Jan Shatabdi Express

As I said, Shatabdi are a much premium express and poor people in actual democracies can be persuaded very well to vote for you if you make them feel a little special with Chair coaches and 10km/h extra average speed.

People will definitely remember your government for their "luxury" trip memories and hence for this Jan Shatabdis were introduced.

Jan mean common, common as in common man which is a nice way of saying "This is for you, you poor bitch".

These trains are similar to Shatabdi with Chair cars, where you can pretend you are in a plane but on wheels but with no AC coaches to cut the cost.

But now since we have become very good and experience at making AC coaches due to building coaches for Metros, they are adding 3AC cars on jan shatabdi too so you can used an AC coach for a little extra price on top it, they are also adding vistadom coaches with tiny bit of glass ceilings to make poor ppl feel special. Pic related

>>1835083
Trains are traditions here, if the coaches have survived they would have been preserved in one of the rail museums here. They usually reproduce old engines and coaches for museum train rides.
>>
File: Antodaya Express.jpg (1.09 MB, 1131x848)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>1835089
Antodyaya Express

Antodyaya means upliftment of the weakest section of society.

Now how Indian trains works is you book a ticket and then you wait for your reservation (ticket) to be confirmed. So you have to book your tickets at least 3 days before you plan to board a train or you wait for someone to cancel their reserved ticket, which usually has a long waiting list too.

These trains are unreserved trains, which means you just walk in book a ticket on first come first serve and has no advanced booking. Which is why these trains are so celebrated, pic related is decorating them so much when they are inducted because they are the essence of being Indian, which is no booking or appointment and just walking in like total chaos.

Indian Railways have converted them into normal trains (reservation system) with only a few unreserved coaches on the train, pulling a fast one on people. kek

These trains are surprisingly modern for the Unreserved Class of trains with facilities like

1. Biotoilets - i.e. no more just a hole in the car
2. Charging ports
3. Vinyl sheet coaches
4. Smoke alarms and CCTV
5. Braille, water vending machine and coat hangers

No, wonder they turned it into a normal reserved train with few UR coaches at the back
>>
File: Humsafar Express.jpg (731 KB, 973x653)
731 KB
731 KB JPG
>>1835098
Humsafar Express

Humsafar means Life Partner or Soulmate, a person who will accompany you in the journey of life.

These are modern Birth Car trains, the trains are fully Air Conditioned that is no Non-AC car on the train.

With facilities like:
1. GPS passenger info
2. CCTV, fire and smoke alarm
3. Announcement system - You wouldn't have to keep an eye on whether your station has come, the automated system will tell you which station you will be arriving
4. Charging point and braille displays
5. Vending machines for tea, soup and coffee
>>
File: Gareeb Rath.jpg (909 KB, 1024x1433)
909 KB
909 KB JPG
>>1835112
Gareeb Rath Express

Means Poor Man's Chariot

This is a full AC train i.e. no Non-AC car. Now you would be thinking "Come on anon, how come an Endian train be called Poor Man's Chariot with only AC cars meanwhile your regular trains have both AC and non-AC cars?

You are right, but the thing is, This fully AC train has 2/3rd fare of the normal AC car fare in regular trains.

How can this train be cheaper? Simple, you get less leg room, i.e. more people are put inside a car and you pay lesser price because you are paying in humiliation by traveling in a train that has written "Poor Man's chariot" written on it and on the ticket. Constantly reminding you, that you are poor.
>>
Cute Alstom train, OP.
>>1834724
What's your favorite zone?
>>1834742
What's a good way to survive a train without air conditioning? I only know the techniques for surviving outdoors without AC. (being in the shade and having a breeze) I wouldn't know how to do it in an enclosed space.
>>1834757
>use the normal trains as a metro/subway system
Reminds me of Tri-Rail in Florida. I know Tri-Rail is technically commuter rail, but still reminded of it. It's on tracks that were historically freight, even if Tri-Rail now controls the schedules on it.
>>1835082
>a little library
Cute. I kinda like the idea.
>>1835089
>poor people in actual democracies can be persuaded very well to vote for you if you make them feel a little special with Chair coaches and 10km/h extra average speed
I chuckled. I believe this.
>>1835098
>Indian Railways have converted them into normal trains (reservation system) with only a few unreserved coaches on the train, pulling a fast one on people. kek
Dang.
>5. Braille
Tell me more. I'm interested in accessibility.
Also interested in the braille displays on the Humsafar Express.
>>1835112
>3. Announcement system - You wouldn't have to keep an eye on whether your station has come, the automated system will tell you which station you will be arriving
Even in the US this is a nice thing you don't always have. :^) I'm glad Metrorail has it now, in Miami.
>>
File: Tejas Express.jpg (1.93 MB, 2238x1014)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>1835120
Tejas Express

Tejas means Brilliance, These are the modern executive chair car trains and the first truly high speed trains in India.

They seem modern due to their Jewish Nose train design, which is very popular in west. This will be a topkek post so brace yourself

Many Indian Trains have a top speed of 150Km/hr but on tracks, they can only achieve the average speed of 90km/hr and below.

Tejas trains runs at the average speed of 130km/h but only in between select cities which have modern and upgraded tracks in good quality

The trains only cost 20% more than your average shatabdi coaches in production.

And have facilities like:
1. Wi-Fi
2. Automatic doors
3. LCD screen, snack tables, coffee vending machine, magazine
4. Hand dryers, touch-less water taps, bio-vacuum toilets

These trains also have the concept of Train Hostess pic related, to give a flight like experience (Big deal because majority of Indians still haven't traveled in planes and are trains people)

The concept of having LCD screens in trains and having headphones was so alienating for Train travelers in India, that they thought they were freebies and stole the headphones and some even ripped the screens apart from the chairs.

On top of it, the bob vagena gang harasses Train Hostesses by asking for their numbers and constantly pushing the button to call them over.

People kept stealing headphones even after they replaced the premium ones with cheap ones and LCD screens kept getting damaged due to people trying to dismantle them to take them home.

Due to this niggery, all LCD screens from trains were removed.

Tejas is dubbed as first private train because it is run by the Private arm of Indian Railways i.e. IRCTC, which is private company under government management operating on tender model.

Ahh the absolute niggers in the country, but at least they still kept the train hostesses.
>>
>>1835139
Mahaparinirvan Express

These trains specifically provide connectivity to Buddhist pilgrimage sites in India

>>1835133
>Cute Alstom train, OP.
Thanks anon

>>1835133
>What's a good way to survive a train without air conditioning?
There is none, I wouldn't recommend it unless the train is empty or there are only the people that are supposed to be in the car, i.e. one person per birth. You would easily survive if that's the case but if you are down on luck and your train is choke full of people, you will most likely end up in hospital and your luggage stolen if you are not used to Indian non-AC trains

>It's on tracks that were historically freight
That's cool anon

>Also interested in the braille displays on the Humsafar Express.
They are making public infrastructure accessible for many years now, making and converting stations, buses and trains as much they can. About the brail, they put tiny brail dots on doors and stuff, like brailing near the handle of toilet doors, cabin and car doors so they can know what compartment is theirs

>Even in the US this is a nice thing you don't always have
We have this system in all our metros, after a decade of producing metro coaches which are just light trains, they have started to add these little features in new trains too.
>>
File: gatiman express.jpg (127 KB, 1200x900)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>1835143
Gatiman Express

Meaning the one with superspeed, this trains caters to tourism and goes to famous tourist spots in India and doesn't run of Fridays are Taj Mahal is closed on Fridays, which is autistic. They are agreeing that there is nothing to see in Agra, except Taj Mahal.
>>
File: Vande_Bharat_exp.jpg (871 KB, 1200x1582)
871 KB
871 KB JPG
>>1835148
Vandebharat Express

meaning Praising India (in respect)

is another jew nosed train with Executive chair cars, train hostesses and the second private train of Indian railways.

It has an average speed of 130km/hr and run on select routes and tracks which can give that much speed. It has cut 12hr journeys to 8hrs.
>>
File: suvidha express.jpg (164 KB, 1200x900)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>1835153
Suvidha Express aka Premium Express

meaning ease and comfort

these trains are for people who live on the edge by not believing in booking the tickets system and have the need and thirst to travel right now. So they can get train tickets instantly. Lmao imagine believing that in a system that sees 23 million travelers a day, hope is a poisonous cope.

These trains run on the busiest routes that has high demand of travel, which has lead booking a ticket at least 10 days before traveling date.
>>
File: Uday Express.jpg (787 KB, 1000x750)
787 KB
787 KB JPG
>>1835156
Uday Express

meaning Rise, hence the Sunrise color pattern I guess

Two words, DOUBLE DECKER

Double decker full AC coach trains.
>>
File: Flying Rani.jpg (119 KB, 1200x900)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>1835157
Flying Rani Express

meaning Flying Queen

Come on anons, you saw full AC coaches Double Decker, logic dictates that there will be a train that has non-AC double decker too
>>
File: yuva express.jpg (216 KB, 1280x720)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
>>1835158
Yuva Express

meaning Youth

Are you a trainophile, you love traveling in trains but feel ashamed that every time you travel in trains you see only boomers sharing your weird hobby? This train is your answer.

Just kidding, these trains are run for students are are studying in other states to provide them cheaper travels.

60% of seats are reserved on this trains for low income groups and students in the age group of 18-45 years

>>1835133
>What's your favorite zone?
I forgot to answer this, My favorite zones are Northern and North Western, I avoid anything that is east of Delhi.
>>
File: vivek express.jpg (178 KB, 1024x768)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>1835163
Vivek Express

These trains run on the longest train routes in India, including the 9th longest train route in the world. an 80 hour journey spanning 4300Km long route. Connecting the most remote cities with each other like the northern most city to southern most, eastern most to southern most etc etc
>>
OP, what is the diference between EMU and MEMU?, also how's the Kolkata tramway?
>>
File: Kolkata trams.jpg (989 KB, 1366x1000)
989 KB
989 KB JPG
>>1835169
EMU - Electric Multiple Unit
MEMU - Mainline Electric Multiple Unit

EMUs run on sub-urban sections of main cities for branch lines and short distances while MEMUs are upgraded EMUs that generally runs on mainline and to cover a distance more than the suburban section limit.

1 power car carry 4 coaches for an EMU but 1 power car is needed for 4 coaches for MEMUs, that's why EMUs are only 12 coaches long meanwhile MEMUs are usually 16-20 coaches long.

>How's kolkata tramway
They are still operating them, and looking for bids from other countries to modernize them as most of them are pretty rundown.
>>
File: Saloon coaches.jpg (1.53 MB, 2154x956)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
>>1835165
Saloon Coaches on Trains

Indians love living in big families and joint families. We have a society where children live with their parents, even after marriage so we love to travel together too.

These coaches are basically house on wheels which you can rent for your journey with your family if you are autistic enough. They come with living room, multiple bedrooms, a kitchen to prepare your food and private bathrooms.
>>
File: lifeline express.jpg (81 KB, 1100x515)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>1835185
Lifeline Express

India is a huge country and also a poor one, so many places are too far away from hospitals. These hospital trains equipped with machines like X-rays, CT-scan, MRI and Operation Theatres provide medical treatment to far away villages with no advanced medical facilities available.
>>
>>1835083
I used to work in an office right where the Waggonfabrik Schlieren used to be.
>>
>>1835120
>more people are put inside a car and you pay lesser price because you are paying in humiliation by traveling in a train that has written "Poor Man's chariot" written on it and on the ticket. Constantly reminding you, that you are poor.
lmfao indiatrainbro is a based cunt
>>
File: Himalayan Queen.jpg (725 KB, 1200x800)
725 KB
725 KB JPG
>>1835195
The Himalyan Queen is a tourist train, catering to Adreline junkies. Deadly deep Himalyan gorge, an area famous for landslides, a very old colonial bridge and a modern train. Pic related. What could go wrong.

>>1835199
Thanks anon
>>
File: poorna express.jpg (296 KB, 1024x768)
296 KB
296 KB JPG
>>1835210
Poorna Express

Another thrill seeking marvel of a train, this train travels through western ghats, a place that can even turn the stones and structures green with algae, pic related.
>>
File: jammu baramula rail.jpg (957 KB, 1000x1175)
957 KB
957 KB JPG
>>1835230
Jammu Baramula Rail

These trains are for the most thrill seeking people. Now you may be like "Come on anon, how can a train on snow be thrilling, this is very common"

For normal snow trains yes, but this train operates in Kashmir, The heaven on Earth is inhabited by people who are obsessed with making people reach heaven for celestial virgins.

Your normal train ride can be hijacked or attacked by a group of terrorists, can be attacked by heavy shelling and fires by Pakistan, can be stopped and checked regularly by armed forces to make you realize that the friendly co-passenger next to you was strapping a bomb.
>>
File: Milky Choo Choo.webm (2.61 MB, 720x1280)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB WEBM
>>1835235
Vasco De Gama - Mudgaon rails

We all know that the Brits liked building trains but one of the biggest problem they faced in India was heat and looking like cooked Bacon, all the time.

The Sun never set on British IEmpire but the fact of the matter was, The Britain itself barely sees a sun due being cloudy 24x7.

So, Brits got obsessed with trying to make Trains to hilly and cold areas of India so they can get some relief from the heat. They will ignore building trains on flat surface but will build rail lines to the most difficult terrains for colder climate.

Dudhsagar (Milky sea) falls is one of those places which combined two most British things, Cold Showers and Trains. The trains pass through Dudhsagar falls, giving everyone the cold shower they need.

Vid related is the magical journey.
>>
>>1835196
Spent your lunch breaks at Letzipark?
>>
You should post the tourist trains to /trv/ as well, pretty sure you'll get some questions there as well (just ignore the low effort trolls that are attracted by India threads sometimes).
>>
>>1835240
god daaaaayyyyuuuum
>>
>>1835256
no
>>
File: love_this_thread.jpg (33 KB, 444x366)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
This thread is awesome, thanks for your insights, indiatrainbro. Indian railways are fascinating, they aren't all neat and modern like Europe or Japan, but they aren't entirely african-shithole-tier either, so it's like a weird train universe with a mix of old and modern rolling stock over a vast country. The Trains are one of the only things I find appealing about India. Keep it up.
>>
File: Royal Rajasthan.jpg (1.88 MB, 2000x1038)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>1835240
Royal Rajasthan on Wheels

This train is what happens when government realize how good and profitable Desert + Luxury Train and a state choke full of Forts and Palaces is. They made this second luxury train for the state of Rajasthan to double the profits.

>>1835258
Thanks anon, will do

>>1835306
Thankyou anon
>>
>>1835513
Maitree Express

Meaning friendship

Only Americans will get this train. Imagine having so many Mexicans coming into your country every year but instead of being productive labour, they belong to a very violent minority that add fuel into the fire of communal tensions in your country.

So you decide to run a train for them, in the hopes that you can atleast keep track of these buggers, which they will still not use and cross the border to avoid paperwork.

This train represents that.
>>
File: Bandhan Express.jpg (130 KB, 1200x900)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>1835518
Bandhan Express

Meaning Bonding

This is the second running International Train of Indian Railways and this train is what happens when politicians get a scary thought of using the import of troublemaking population of your bordering country into a vote bank.
>>
>>1834764
Nice
>>
>>1835518
How many foreigners from third-party countries are on this train and the Samjhauta Express to Pakistan?
Would you get even more stares than usual as an East Asian or European?
>>
>>1835521
Royal Orient Express

>Be Indian railways
>Slaps a steam engine to Luxury Tourist Coaches
>Names it Orient Express
>Adds Royal to avoid copyright
>Doesn't explains anything to you
>Walks away with your dollars

While it may seem like that the Royal Orient Express is a trap for stupid people who thought they bought a heavily discounted ticket for the Orient Express and accidentally landed in India, this is one of the earliest luxury tourist trains in India.

And while the train may still be much cheaper due to the currency difference, be aware we are charging you 20000% times the price of coal for Environment.

>>1835540
Thanks anon

>>1835582
Both the international trains to Pakistan have been stopped since 2019 due to them being naughty.

You can only book tickets for these trains physically at specific stations from both sides and need an already approved visa.

In the end these trains are more for regular labor that usually migrates from Nepal, Pakistan and Bangladesh into India for work and free hospital treatment and visiting their distant family than your average fun ride between countries like in Europe or America.

Up until few years ago, both sides used to use the shittiest trains they had available for these rides as you never know when a radical from the other side would blow it up, we recently have upgraded them to full AC cars to flex on our neighbors.
>>
File: Fairy Queen.jpg (1.68 MB, 2214x1000)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
>>1835584
The Fairy Queen

The oldest luxury train in India, built in 1855, British built engine.

Don't get too intimidated by the luxurious interior of slapping few chairs, putting few painting and ceiling fans, pic related. This is all this pure cute little Choo Choo can take.
>>
>>1834750
Just Buffalo traveling in a Passenger Train. As I said, Passenger trains can be quite crazy thanks to locals.

Context:

>10-20 locals arrive
>Put the bull in and tie him to the chair
>Tells the passengers to deboard the bull at another station when that station comes
>Leaves
>>
>>1835591
Those carriages look hilariously oversized.
>>
ponder the aroma
envision the scent
imagine the smell, if you will
>>
>>1835591
The Desert Queen

You have seen Indian Trains on Hills, Mountains, Snow, Gorges and through waterfalls. But this isn't the final form yet. Now it's time to have Trains on Deserts. Traveling in a diesel choo choo in a metal compartment in 50C+ temperature is what fun is.

>>1835606
Kek, then again they only attach two carriages on Fairy Queen
>>
File: ramayan-express.jpg (89 KB, 1024x573)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>1835651
Ramayan Express

This train is for pilgrimage purposes, the train takes you to the lands mentioned in the epic of Ramayana.
>>
>>1835651
I assume the first two or three carriages are reserved for luggage, crew or the lowest classes?
>>
File: Sampark Kranti Express.jpg (1.06 MB, 1280x1372)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>1835670
Sampark Kranti Express

Meaning Connection Revolution

I heard you don't like decals on Trains anon, how about hand painted ones then?

Sampark Kranti provides quick connectivity to the National Capital of Delhi from other cities.

>>1835671
>I assume the first two or three carriages are reserved for luggage, crew or the lowest classes?
Kek, With ever increasing price of cigarettes, Indian Railways provide free smoking experience to its travelers. On special Diesel chugger engines.
>>
File: kavi guru express.jpg (165 KB, 1200x831)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>1835673
Kavi Guru Express

Have you taken the milcc pill anon? pic related

These expresses connect the easternmost city of India to the western most ones
>>
File: Rajya Rani.jpg (184 KB, 1200x892)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>1835677
Rajya Rani Express

meaning State Queen

These trains connect the different state capitals to each other.
>>
>>1835678
The Sea Train

If you thought that the Desert train was the final form of Indian railways, you were mistaken.

I present you the sea train, the train runs on the bridge built on sea in 1920s to reach the Indian island of Rameswaram, from where you can take a ferry to Sri Lanka and flex to them that we can still afford a bread unlike you. Or play your own hunger games by throwing loafs of breads at Sri Lankans.
>>
>>1835682
>>
Thanks for a very informative thread, Desibro. Why are the speeds so slow though? Are the railtracks in such a bad shape or is it a different reason?
>>
File: monurail.jpg (864 KB, 1200x900)
864 KB
864 KB JPG
>>1835934
Rails are the best thing that man ever invented, but every good thing has a bad side of it.

It is the responsibility of every rail nation to also show the bad and abominable side of railways by building Monorails. India did it too.

Mumbai Monorail.

Thank god we only built this abomination once and thank the Gods that it's in memebai. Eww.

>>1835944
Your welcome anon

The major reason is that the tracks are a mess. And need a massive scale replacement, it's much cheaper to make new tracks than that.

The top speed of most trains are 110-130km/h but they can't achieve that speed on messed up tracks.

Plus there are people you try to steal tracks to sell them, some try to blow them up or remove them, sometimes cows sit on them, all of that can lead to a possible derailment of the train and cause a major accident. Then there are people who pull the chain, to deliberately stop the train mid journey so they can deboard near their villages.

Making trains slow and late. Chain pulling was a very big reason for trains being fashionably 12-18hr late on an average a decade ago. Now they only put one chain in a coach and add a RPF personal in the train to fine the people who pull chains. This has significantly reduced this autism now.
>>
>>1835968
>Thank god we only built this abomination once and thank the Gods that it's in memebai.
Does it just look bad or is it also functionally bad?

Keep going OP, this is one the best threads on /n/ right now.
>>
>indian railways
one of the two reasons india exists as a country. the other one being English language
>>
>>1835968
Before we move on to next trains, let's talk about security first

It is not just the troublesome travelers, criminals and people just disregarding laws from which the Indian Railways suffer from, there are terrorist organizations that always want to harm the Railways, as Rails and Railways Stations are the best places to kill the most number of innocent people in the name of Allah.

To provide security to Rails which are the lifelines of India, and to protect railways from bombs, terrorists and criminals railways have their own security forces. Namely

RPF - Railway Protection Force, they investigate railway crimes and provide security in Trains and Railway Stations. They have a branch named RPSF - Railway Protection Special Force which deals with making sure nobody has planted bombs in the trains or at stations.

GRP - Government Railway Police, they make arrests and transfer of criminals arrested and apprehended by the RPF.

CISF - Central Industrial Security Force - They provide security in metros, monorails, heritage stations and major railway junctions that are strategically and industrially important.

>>1835970
Thanks anon.

Monorails look hideous plus in case of a mishap or technical difficulty, good luck getting people off on that narrow strip of concrete with no railings. . On top of it they made it with pure autism. Stations on the routes are so poorly planned that people don't even want to use it.

>>1835971
>one of the two reasons india exists as a country. the other one being English language
It's funny because it is kind of true
>>
>>1834707
Thank-you based I/n/dian bro. Excellent thread.
>>
>>1835975
Jesus look at those doughy bodies. Are there any physically fit cops anywhere? Why is it that the average office worker is 10x fitter than the average cop?
>>
File: GMRC_MAP_PHASE-I-II.jpg (2.02 MB, 2340x1719)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>1835975
With rapid urbanization, the cities are expanding very fast. And the traffic takes toll on everyone in big cities where a huge influx of people migrate to both nationally and internationally. To ease this, Railways in Urban areas have to evolved into public transits like Metros, Subways and monorails (ughh). First on the list

Ahmedabad Metro

This like most metros in India, a cheap imitation of the best Metro model present in India. (No spoilers ;)

Why are they bothering with trying to emulate that model? It's simple, it is fueled by the passion of revenue and the coping rage of their citizens who claim to be one of the most developed cities in India but are defeated with one sentence, "Where is your metro buddy?"

Why are they failed models? There are multiple reasons, shit planning of routes, cities lacking the population (Lacking population in India, topkek right?) that can turn the model profitable and the biggest one is the lack of balls due to being a democracy, I will explain the last one properly when I discuss the metro king which brought the metro revolution in India.

Right now, I am just going to laugh at these cheap imitations like pic related. Only has 1 active line with 6 stations. Rest is "Under construction and proposed routes".

Kek, the whole plan was just put a red and blue line cross on the city map, can you imagine, as you can see in pic related. These niggers extended the red line with orange one later to hide their MS Paint planning skills.

>>1836058
Thanks anon

>>1836066
Simple. They be Protect(-ed by the law) and Serve(-ed free food due to their job).
>>
>>1834707
Why does even the locomotive have jail bars on the window?
>>
>>1836407
>I will explain the last one properly when I discuss the metro king which brought the metro revolution in India.
>>
File: chennai-map.png (1.38 MB, 1563x1500)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
>>1836407
Chennai Metro

It's shown in Simpsons that 1000 monkeys with 1000 typewriters can create the works of Shakespeare, and Chennai Metro achieved this similar feat.

Chennai metro is the second largest metro system in India with 2 lines and 42 stations and is also the second most competent and second best metro service in India.

The metro is also the first to use India made tunnel boring machines than imported ones.

But that doesn't mean it has no flaws, although the stations are built well and the network is planned better than the most the trains are on the lower side in quality. They look cheaply made than the other metros and as you can see in pic related, there are no seat marking for the passenger to mark their territory. It's just a metal plank as seat wtf. Also take the metro map with a grain of salt as there are only two

But I wouldn't feel good until I roast it. So I will just say that although the metro is overall second best in India it is mostly bused by people who resemble Monkes the most on the Indian subcontinent. Also, why does the orange and green line combo on the map in pic related looks like a PP.

Also please note: Only Green and Blue lines are working, rest are the planned phases.

>>1836439
Simple, to save the driver incase some random bloke throws a brick at the driver on a moving train for "Sports, fun and rioting"

>>1836440
B)
>>
File: hyderabad-metro-map.jpg (2.71 MB, 3320x1758)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
>>1836446
Hyderabad Metro

This is the second longest metro system in India. You know the systems are meme when they cope as being "second largest", "second longest" memes. Who cares, provide better connectivity instead of concrete dick flexxing between states.

I may sound like I am seething against these metros but the thing is, these metros fail at the most basic thing of the rapid public transit and that's people have no benefit of using these.

The essence of metro is to provide a better, safer and faster connectivity to people so they prefer taking their vehicles off the road and use them instead. But people prefer using their vehicles than using the metro due to their bad planning.

Why is the planning so bad? It's simple, there is no organic growth of the metro system, instead they are coming up with pre-planned 7-9 phase plan, disregarding the traffic and movement of people inside the city. Each phase is costing 3+ billion dollars and they come up with a multiple phase plan and wonder why there metro model isn't working well and why instead of making profits they are running in loses.

Now to roast the Hyderabad Metro, it's the same generic mass produced metro system going on in India, which is focusing on making as many metros as fast a possible, which leads to omitting key structures crucial for emergency evacuation or joining the two lines in such a stupid way that you had to cope with saying "Look at this engineering marvel of the largest metro station (interchange) in India, which only joining 2 lines).

They joined two lines, made them parallel to join them at the station and yet they had to take such a huge space, on top of it, both lines aren't even on the same level, which makes this station even more retarded. Pic related. A 2,00,000 square feet/22,000 square yard building space to join two lines.
>>
>>1836489
How many escalators/staircases to change from the leftmost track to the rightmost track?
>>
File: jaipur-metro-map.jpg (1.56 MB, 1600x1282)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>1836489
Jaipur Metro

You have seen me bitching about the lack or over construction in other metros, this is one of the few metros that follow the Giga Chad optimum construction model. Most Indian cities are in Earthquake zones and when a serious enough Earthquake jolt hits, the metros are stopped until a quick inspection of the elevated structure is done, and the passengers are made to walk to on the elevated track to the next station as test subjects because let's be honest, trains are expensive than people here. Just kidding, they say they don't want the train to go full gravity enthusiast with people inside it.

So, see pic related with the side footpaths on both sides with railings on it and the thicc af pillar structures, it's the lack of them that I was bitching about. You need to treat your lab rats right,.

My thoughts on Jaipur metro? Its ok I guess, the city has the population bottleneck but its also a major tourist destination and state capital, so even if it's not so crowded, traffic is barely a problem it is nice to have a faster comfier available for tourists. The city is in one of the state that has a reputation of being cleaner than the average India.

Plus it only has 1 line with 11 stations (The red line one in the map). It didn't went all in or rushed into new lines even after 7 years, it's going well and steady and the planned lines are halted unless they really need to make it in this comfy city.

And that is why it is one of the few metros that are running with fewer losses than most of the rapidly constructed metros in India which were hastily built in hopes to get the same amount of revenue as the top operating metro giant. All the previously mentioned metros and most of the future ones are running under huge losses and very little ridership.

>>1836516
20feet climb of stairs/escalator to aboard take the next line but the design is a dream come true for suicidal ppl. A line directly below another line, that's suicide Olympics challenge.
>>
File: Kanpur-Metro-Map.jpg (1.12 MB, 2048x1168)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
>>1836641
Kanpur Metro

Ugh Imagine building a metro in a small city with the most cringemax people in it.

Only 1 line is operational with 9 stations that stretch 9km. It started its first operation recently on 28 Dec 2021, and I still couldn't find any pics of it. Had to literally look for an autistic vlogger posting first day ride and see what I spot on a new metro on first day in second green circle.
Told you, its a tech too advance for the people of this city.

What's more cringe it has a peak ridership of 8k people a day and they are already building the second line. Haa.

Let me explain the losses I keep reeing about, Metros are costly. At an average cost of 9 Billion US dollars for a line. That's why metros are built under PPP model. Public Private Partnership. Where 40% cost is invested by the Government (20% Union/Central/Federal Government and 20% from state government) and rest 60% in loans from private sector.

But there are only few companies in India that are capable to invest in such a risky venture in a small city they have no stake in and has a low population which means low ridership.

So foreign companies are usually invited to invest that 60% of massive investment at huge interest rates of 12-15%..

Imagine paying 10s of billions of Dollars with an average ridership of 8k per day, even 5 decades will be too short of a time, and with such a high interest, you will be expected to pack 10-20x times the original amount. In the end you are raking massive debts with every metro in a small city that totally doesn't need it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.