[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 24 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 1653145954950.jpg (3.08 MB, 3970x4096)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
Scrolling through marketplace edition.

Post here for help buying a bike.

If you want recs off craigslist, post your local site, height, budget, and intended use.

Recommending specific models of new bikes is kinda pointless because of availability. If you want help choosing between real options post for hot takes.

Always buy a bike you like the look of and like the paint of. And that fits you well.
>>
CAAD10 for $600? I dont necesarily need another road/race bike, but it would be nice to have a backup/one to keep on the trainer.
>>
link the old thread, stupid faggot
>>1825053
>>
>>1834314
shit myb forgot. thank you
>>
>>1834311
that takes me back
there was a time on /n/ when caad10s were shilled relentlessly, before the creak happened.

1200 gets you a decent new entry level road bike. The caad is probably nicer but they're roughly equivalent. imo 1/2 the price of a new equivalent is fair for something in very good serviced original or restored condition.
So it would depend on condition. It does look very clean but go scrutinize it, i'd be haggling down to 400-550 if there are problems.
>>
>>1834324
Ah didn't know these were in the cannondale creak era, good to know. Definitely going to haggle him. Probably wont pay more than $500 regardless. But it seems like a good extra bike/something else to tinker with
>>
>>1834328
caad 12 was the creak era
iunno how much truth there is to one or the other commonly creaking or not though

should be an awesome bike. i think it's kinda ugly but a silver post and some black bartape would improve it a lot
>>
File: chrome_3RnoUU2swK.png (101 KB, 979x782)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
would this caad9 fit me? im 5'3" male.
I couldn't find the height chart for the caad9 but these are the al3 and optimo that are my size (according to their height charts) for reference
>>
try to fall into the 90s mtb meme, but 90s bikes are really expensive in this poorfag country. it literally suits me better to put a few more bucks and buy a new one
>>
>>1834341
I know that feel bro. around here the only cheap bikes are department stores BSOs, any semi-decent chromoly MTB is already being sold as a "gravel conversion" for a ridiculous price.
>>
>>1834311
yea its a classic AFAIC
my first real bike
crazy light
its sort of the last of the 'jackhammer' riding aluminum frames
but it felt so amazing when climbing out of the saddle
>>
File: file.png (1.91 MB, 1200x900)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB PNG
what's a fair offer for this bike?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/oakland-surly-troll/7512999739.html
>>
>>1834440
seems like a fair price desu
new these are like 1800
>>
Advice for beginner aluminum XC bike? Looking for an upgrade from my 2006 GT Avalanche. Something that climbs well and is good for very long distances, possibly even adding a rack if I ever go fishing/camping

Max budget 2.5k$ CAD, Quebec area. Till now my options are Devinci Kobain 11S, BMC AL Four and Roscoe 7. I understand they are not really XC focused but I can't find anything else
>>
>>1834460
BMC AL Four is XC though, get it :)
>>
>>1834341
burgerfag here I never see 90s mtb on sale anywhere. maybe if i lived in park city utah or colorado springs? lol but yeah, big metropolis city and no one is selling them here. its a meme, i promise
>>
>>1834487
No dropper and shit fork though...Devinci Kobain 11 is just 2lbs more
>>
File: 1656679883904.jpg (202 KB, 450x675)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
bros should I start buying up a group or two of mech 105 before they all sell out and I have to buy the meme Di2?
>>
>>1834599
Probably a good investment. The same way that NOS 90s xt and dura ace components are only building in value as they add more and more sprockets and replacement parts are only produced in budget lines so will mechanical be quality mechanical shifting in the future when the only alternative will be some Chinese generic.
>>
>>1834682
Be serious 90s stuff is only wanted for period correct stuff. It’s shit quality.
>>
File: file.png (1.18 MB, 1024x765)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB PNG
Guys should I buy this as my first road bike?
I like the paintjob and it should be my size. It currently has some 3x9 groupset on it but I guess I could go 2x11 sometime in the future (is this possible?) Any caveats I should be mindful of?
>>
>>1834683
okay nobike
>>
>>1834683
For 7/8 sometimes even 9 speed you can't find anything modern that's better. Going 10+ speed modern components will be better but you can't necessarily fit them into old frames.
>>
>>1834686
>For 7/8 sometimes even 9 speed you can't find anything modern that's better. Going 10+ speed modern components will be better but you can't necessarily fit them into old frames.
actually I'm not even sure like old deore dx is just way better build quality than modern slx which would be its equivalent.
>>
>>1834687
modern is only better in terms of features like clutches etc.
>>
>>1834684
It's campagnolo
Many of the consumables are more or much more expensive and harder to find and the tools are meme tools (though still quite cheap and common enough). Atleast it's not 8 speed campag which truely has bullshit compatibility.

You're right you could over time convert away from it but campag is good stuff and it is well worth trying to service and use.

I suggest you only buy it if it actually is in good working condition. A good tell is look at the hoods. They're textured. If they're worn very smooth around the grip area it's a high mileage group, and i'd probably avoid it as a noob, unless it's very cheap.
>>
File: file.png (1.11 MB, 1024x765)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB PNG
>>1834689
The ad says it's Campagnolo Xenon with brakes being Shimano RX 100
Here's the cockpit
>>
>>1834684
>>1834691
is there a reason you haven't told us the price yet?
>>
>>1834693
The price is really really good, I already contacted the seller. 250 euros
>>
>>1834694
I say get it and ride it into the ground. Campy is great but upgrading it is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>1834699
Just out of curiosity - what does make upgrading Campagnolo more challenging than other brands?
>>
>>1834711
not him but you're thinking about this wrong.
If you wanted to improve that bike you'd probably -service- it, not upgrade it.
So new cables, cassette, bottom bracket, chainrings if they wear out.
Wheels if they wear out.

Those consumables are all more expensive and harder to buy and the tools to change them are specific to campagnolo in many cases.
You also won't commonly find reasonable used parts on the market.

Improving bikes is not primarily about upgrading them.
>>
Chink carbon with full ultegra di2 (r8070) for $1450
Frame has a tiny crack on the top tube so it might be unusable
Is the (used) r8070 groupset worth the price if it's in relatively good condition?
>>
are triple cranksets cringe (vs compact)?
>>
>>1834733
They made total sense in the 7/8/9 era because you could have reasonably tight spaced flat gears and climbing gears

The shift pattern isn't as forgiving though, especially if you're not very strong. Going to the granny is an awkward shift you don't want to be doing unless you're actually on a climb and so for most rolling riding you're stuck basically with a tight cassette and a std crank, which is pretty brutal gearing. Or the shifting is annoying.

And they make sense for touring bikes.
>>
>>1834733
So basically they're not very good for beginners. Tight gaps between gears is also not that big a deal for an untrained rider.

Campag triple front shifting was better than shimano though because it's micro ratcheting not indexing.
>>
>>1834734
>>1834737
hm thanks. Im looking at a caad9 and the triple crankset is the only thing that was giving me pause. sounds like it isn't a deal breaker. I think ill get used to it
>>
File: yea son.jpg (1.3 MB, 3457x2375)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>1834751
just remember that if the front shifting is driving you insane, you can always fix it for cheap by janking a friction shifter for it, lance styles
>>
are rei bikes any good?
>>
File: 1659550717857112.jpg (88 KB, 1524x911)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>1834792
Like all bikes they sell or the REI "co-op" brand? The name brands are obviously fine and just whatever that name brands reputation is. REI bikes are fine for beginners, but lets just say if you go to any road or MTB group rides, no one is riding a co-op bike.
>>
>>1834882
>>1834792
I think that's more of a selection effect though, true bicycle enthusiasts just like the top brands. Weekend casuals who buy co-op bikes don't care enough to go to group rides. From what I can tell they're totally fine, but just lack sex appeal.
>>
Does anyone have a list of sites to purchase a road bike from? I'm leaning towards buying new compared to used.
>>
>>1835071
https://intheknowcycling.com/online-bike-store-rankings/
>>
File: bike.jpg (446 KB, 551x735)
446 KB
446 KB JPG
This is for sale for 250 euros, is it worth it if I try to talk the seller down to 175? Should be in ridable condition according to seller
>>
File: 1659721211447628m.jpg (93 KB, 1024x818)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
Any experience importing bikes from the US in Canada? I want to buy a Salsa bike but I couldn't find anywhere if it was made in the US or not because if it's the later I gotta pay a shitload more taxes
>>
>>1835187
imo, no. old steel bikes are definitely nice to ride, but they are not worth that much. you will most likely need new tires, tubes, rim tape and chain. and potentially the casette, chainrings, and bottom bracket are worn as well. if it's your size and you haven't found anything better, it might be worth it to you, though.
>>
>>1834334
>5'3
>48
>i am 5'10
>ride a 56

Get big bike. Go fast.
>>
New to /n/, was pointed here from /bgg/.
Is there like a general buying guide? Lurking here shows there are a shitton of different bike types and frames, there's stuff with low entry, stuff without etc.
Is there like a ressource where you can just read up on the styles and options and their up- and downsides? The tradeoffs you do? Either in text or in a concise video?
I'm asking because I'd love to get a general idea what I am looking for when buying before I ask you anons for specifics.
Looking for a general guide rather than specific product advice, because I am in the EU and the US market is probably somewhat different. Once I understand the options I can do some digging myself before I ask more.

I can of course go into detail into me and what I want, but part of it is I feel like I don't know what I want because I don't know what even the options are.
>>
>>1836007
i'm sure you could find some kind of guide from googling, but it's likely to be paid for / shill certain stuff. if you tell us your country/region, what type of riding you want to do, and your budget, the euroanons will be able to give you suggestions.
>>
>>1836067
I looked around a bit, but it's not as easy as I thought. There are rough guides, but I feel like they are filled with shills or have a very specific "outcome" they are trying to push towards, just like you said. At least it means I didn't miss some sort of /bbg/ guide somewhere. v

I'll give some info for my usecase and general questions, who knows maybe it helps:
Info:
EU market, specifically germany.
Budget is variable, though I do not need the most premium of premium items. In general I am a pretty frugal person unless the additional price justifies a large gain in quality. I also don't care about brands, but I do generally dislike items that will break down quickly. Within the city there are some hills and stuff, with a total of around 80m elevation.
As for where I'd ride varies, though I live in a city and would mostly use it there, as well as in surrounding forests. German forests in this case means usually flattened trails, worst it would get is the occasional tree roots or coarse gravel when riding to my fishing spot. No mountainbiking or something like that.
General uses would be transportation within the city, riding to the nearby lake/river for fishing/swimming, maybe short to mid range bike camping (but all that would fit into a backpack). Possibly hauling something from the hardware store to my apartment (obviously with a trailer or something).
I am 184 cm, so 6'0 in american measurements.

Now to the 2 big caveats:
1. I'm considering an e-bike (as in Pedelec, according to EU regulations etc.). If I choose a pedelec over a traditional bike, the battery must be removable. I'd store it in the basement and take the battery to my apartment for charging.
(cont)
>>
>>1836087
(cont)
2. The biggest caveat: I am legally considered "severely physically" disabled. Essentially I am like a normal person, but weaker. That's part of why I am considering an pedelec, because I struggle with elevation uphill on my old non powered bike. Everything else I can essentially do like a normal person, though I guess I probably rest a bit more of my weight on the seat than a normal person, and a bit less on my legs/the pedals. As such I think a too sporty, horizontal riding position may not be ideal for me.

As for range, it'd usually be short to midrange, the longest distance I could see riding would be back to my hometown for now, which is 50 km. But honestly if 50km of range is too much to ask, that's reasonable too. That trip would be the exception. (I am assuming range is a faily optimistic number in ecomode anyways).

General questions I have:
- Based on those requirements: Mostly city, some fields and forest, no mountainbiking; what type of frames/styles of bike should I consider?
- What is the tradeoff between a upright sitting position and a forward/horizontal sitting position. I'd use my bike for driving to forest for foraging, fishing and strolls, not extreme sports, since as I said, I am disabled. How could choosing something with a more upright seating position fuck me over?
- What about "easy entry" bikes, those with the lower entry on the side? Does it affect handling or only durability? How much?
Ultimately I suspect I will have to do some test rides at a store nearby to see how horizontal/vertical my sitting position should be, but when I look online I am overwhelmed with the shitton of different bikes I see.

Thanks for any anon having any advice or ressources to point me towards.
>>
>>1836088
Es ist schwer einzuschätzen, wie stark du bist im Vergleich zu einer nicht körperlich beeinträchtigten Person. Für einen gesunden und halbwegs geübten Radfahrer ist möglich auf fast jedem Fahrrad 50km am Stück oder mit kurzen Pausen zu fahren, sofern a) passende Radkleidung getragen wird und b) genügend Kohlenhydrate nachgeschoben werden.

Aerodynamik ist ziemlich wichtig bei höheren Geschwindigkeiten oder bei Gegenwind und Seitenwind. Und die Rolle von Luftwiderstand verstärkt sich quadratisch zur Reisegeschwindigkeit. Das heißt wenn du die 50km schneller bewältigen möchtest, solltest du aerodynamischer sein. Bei sehr niedrigen Geschwindigkeiten spielt Aerodynamik keinen entscheidenden Grund.

Am besten wäre es, in einem Radgeschäft mal verschiedene Radtypen auszuprobieren (idealerweise würde man viele Kilometer fahren, um ein Gefühl zu entwickeln).
Ein E-Gravelbike ist super flexibel, kann Reifen unterschiedlicher größen aufnehmen, hat einen vergleichsweise breiten Lenker und trotzdem kann man auch eine halbwegs aerodynamische Sitzposition einnehmen. Das Problem ist, das dieser Typ von Rad sehr teuer ist, da genau für dieses Segment die Marketingtrommel angeschlagen wird.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (162 KB, 1280x720)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>1836088
pedelec sounds like the right choice. you will want a somewhat angled riding position, but not even as much as this pic, maybe 70-75 degrees. a fully upright position isn't as comfortable as people think - doesn't engage enough core muscles and makes pedaling with any force more difficult.
>>
>>1836088
what is your disability anon
>>
>>1836301
He mentioned having reduced muscle strength
>>
>>1836447
Ah so he’s American
>>
>>1836248
>Am besten wäre es, in einem Radgeschäft mal verschiedene Radtypen auszuprobieren (idealerweise würde man viele Kilometer fahren, um ein Gefühl zu entwickeln).
Jo das dachte ich mir schon etwas. Dachte nur ich könnte mich schonmal etwas orientieren damit ich in einem Geschäft den Leuten erklären kann was ich grob will.
>>1836293
That sounds about right, the one on my old bike was more horizontal than that, so I wouldn't mind that kind of angle at all.
>>1836301
I don't want to say the specific name, because it's rare enough that it's essentially doxing. It's a form of myopathy that does not progress (or at least that's what doctors guess). The best way I can describe it is that I am like a normal person, but weaker. It affects both my endurance and strength, but not equally as much. My strength is strongly reduced, meaning that I may use the railing when walking up stairs or prefer having a wall or tree or something to get up from the floor. Meanwhile my endurance is also reduced, but far less, to the point where it's really only noticeable in sports rather than everyday life. Like I can almost do a normal hike, though I may get exhausted a little earier, but if you were to do a short sprint I couldn't keep up.
It's severe enough that I have a disability card and cheaper access to public transportation, but not so severe that I wasn't able to go to normal school as a kid or can't do everyday stuff (hiking, swimming, etc) with friends. That being said it influenced my lifestyle a little, since I obviously never got into stuff like team sports, because it feels kind of ass to drag your team down.
As I said I already owned a bike in the past, my issue is just with elevation, on a flat plane I can keep going for a long distance. It's just once it's uphill that I struggle severely.
>>1836450
Kek
>>
File: mustachi.jpg (63 KB, 440x617)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
Do you guys have any advice on whats could be the best new road bike I can buy for less than 1500?
less thank 10 kg possibly and more of an endurance geometry rather than hardcore racer. (I may just do some randonees, no competitions).
Dont care about frame material as far as its well built.
>>
>>1836786
I would split 500 groupset (11 speed rim brake)
500 frame (chinese branded carbon, or used alloy)
500 wheelset

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.