[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 37 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: file.png (355 KB, 970x647)
355 KB
355 KB PNG
What saddle angle does /n/ ride?
(if you don't have it tipped forward considerably it means you're slow)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQedvgLkyk0
Some educational content in case you don't know anything about bike fitting.
>>
My rails are basically level, and I am in fact slow, so it looks like your generalizations are correct.
>>
>>1833633
mines a bit nose-up because i ride a brooks
>>
>>1833634
This. Only people who don't have even a rudimentary understanding of bike fitting would do something like this.
>>
>>1833633
My old saddle was tilted forward because it was rather uncomfortable.
Bought a new seat that fits me much better, now I have it at a very slight tilt forward.
I can't understand why anyone would tilt the seat backwards, that's like getting a prostate massage every time you ride
>>
3/8" drop from back to front, measured with a level. Anything more than a degree or two is compensation for a fucked up fit.
>>
>>1833846
>professional cyclists tilt it forward dramatically
>you're not one so we'll show you how to set it for comfort
So OP is right though?
>>
File: 1659161118464271.jpg (3.72 MB, 4032x3024)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB JPG
>>
>>1833633
post your bike and saddle angle please.
>>
>>1833941
rip wrists
>>
>>1833633
pointed down a little bit
>>
>>1833941
>zero bar drop
>20 degrees of tilt
pls say troll

>>1834058
You bent your post, lardass. Replace it before it fails completely.
>>
>>1834117
>pls say troll
>
>You bent your post, lardass. Replace it before it fails completely.

so, are you pro or anti troll? you're giving mixed messages
>>
>>1833941
why do you have a giant blue dildo attached to one of your bottle cages? probably doesn't even touch the sides considering the look of that bike and what can be inferred about you from it.
>>
>>1834117
thats a setback you pleb
https://www.bikethomson.com/product/elite-seatpost/
>>
Used to point it down simply because I had shitty saddles, now I have it level, but I also have a saddle with a cut out that doesn't cut off blood flow to my penis and it's a million times better. Keep in mind also that having the saddle tilted too far forward can in some cases make the genital pain even worse, because you have a tendency to slide onto the narrower front part that offers less support to your sit bones.
>>
>>1833634
>have seat tilted too much up
>hurts my thighs
>change tilt
>now too much down, hurt my ass
>make smaller change
>now perfect, not hurting ass or thighs
easy enough
>>
>>1833633
op where is your bike and saddle angle?
>>
File: saddle angles.png (1.3 MB, 1280x720)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
>>1833958
>>1834299
here. i have let other people ride on this and they did not like it but for me it's perfect. btw i had a minor accident today and crashed into a police car (only into the side not the front) luckily the bike is alright. Police car has some dents.

>>1833846
it was me who posted that link tho
>>
Is /n/ full of trolls or retards? I can't tell.
>>
>>1833633
Are you sure yours isn't full tilt back? Because your commentary is gay as fuck. Neutral chad master race.
>>
>>1834484
>using gay as an insult in 2022
no commentary required
>>
>>1834486
I'm surprised you had the dick out of your mouth long enough to type that out
>>
File: P3120140.jpg (2.01 MB, 4000x3000)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>
I got a relatively flat snub nose saddle that sits pretty much level, around 1 degree tilted down
most of my asspain came from having the height too high
for some reason I thought I needed full leg extension to get the most out of every stroke
I can sit more aggressively now and be more comfortable at the same time
>>
Saddle must be level. Pros are elite athletes: unless you're paid to ride for Team Sky then you should have it level, and your bike should be fixed gear

/thread
>>
>>1834462
lmfao. absolute retard

>>1835648
okay henri
>>
Flip the bike over so the handle bars and seat are touching the ground then loosen the bike seat and make it lay flat. That’s the best angle.
>>
>>1835648
Okay, but why? You're not convincing anyone that it offers a benefit that pros need and for whatever reason (unsaid detriments, you're not strong enough, etc) you don't.
>>1835680
Then just move your pedals to where the seat post is the right distance from them and you're good.
>>
>>1833941
Lmao
>>
File: remco.jpg (125 KB, 1185x905)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>1835712
>>1835648
99% of pros have a pracitcally level saddle, maybe 1 to 2 degrees downward tilt for some
they are generally very flexible, they don't need to bend much at the hips to get aero, their backs do most the work

the point of a level saddle is that you can properly sit on your 'sit bones'
however, once you move into a more aggressive position and you're not as flexible as these guys, you'll bend more at the hips, which tilts your sitbones up and your perineal area down
the pressure will inevitably go towards the perineal area

if tilting the saddle fixes that problem for you, that's good
but it's generally inadvisable as it will make you slide down and put more pressure on your wrists

also as someone else mentioned, these guys are putting out 300w with no effort
they're also relatively light, i'm sure that doesn't hurt

in short: have a level saddle, be flexible, be very strong and don't be fat
>>
>>1833662
>My rails are basically level
This means literally nothing. You're the dumbest fucking trip on here.
>>
File: 24u425258.jpg (823 KB, 1908x1936)
823 KB
823 KB JPG
>>1835729
I have extremely inflexible hamstrings, but I have no problems rolling forward and sitting with a flat back. I also have short legs and long arms. I don't know if these details are relevant. I don't know anything.
On my daily 5km ride to work I've been changing the angle on my seat and I just don't get it. To me it looks tilted back (pic related), but it feels level. When I tilt it forward, relative to how it is now, it looks level but feels like it's dumping me off of it. But also I then feel, and possibly am, dramatically faster. And to be able to balance on it without my hands supporting me I actually need to tilt it further back than it is in this picture.
What do I do? I just want it to be as fast as possible for short distances. Do I need to be more flexible or something to be able sit on it without my hands supporting me? Am I just built for the backwards tilt? Or is not being as balanced on it just part of being faster?
>>
>>1833633
dead flat straight gang represent.
>>
I had mine level and it hurts my groin 20+ miles, tilted it forward 10% and even longer rides my groin feel like it can go all day but now my hands get abit numb.
>>
>>1835927
It's okay to put some weight on your arms especially for shorter rides. The more wattage you put down with your legs the more you need to counterbalance with your upper body anyways. Should you overload your arms you will feel it. Just try to listen to your body rather than follow rules of thumb.
>>
>>1835830

So, you don't know what rails are?
>>
>>1836298
The relationship between the rails and the surface of the saddle isn't consistent between different saddles, so it really isn't telling us anything about his saddle angle. Anything else, retard?
>>
>>1836303

You really don't know what rails are, huh. Enjoy your stay, newfriend.
>>
>>1836373
i RAILED UR MUM
>>
>>1836303
The saddle always leans forward when the rails are level young fella. The tripper was joking that he is very fast. It’s something us cyclists do sometimes. We claim to be very fast.
>>
>>1836377
>The saddle always leans forward when the rails are level young fella.
>always
Oh, I didn't know you've assessed every saddle.
>>
>>1836377
You forgot your trip, shit head.
>>
>>1836409
>>1836415
>have something explained to you in a hobby that’s clearly new to you
>learn a joke in the process
>better insult the guy teaching me!
>>
>>1836422
It's not new to me, the trip was just wrong. Why can't anyone admit when they're fucking wrong? It also wasn't even a joke. You people are insufferable.
>>
>>1836424
The lack of self awareness in this post kek
>>
>>1836434
enlighten me, then.
>>
>>1836303
most properly designed saddles should be close enough to level when the rails are level. it's the middle section that counts. there are exceptions like the selle SMP, apparently it should be tilted back so that the middle section cradles you like a diaper.
>>
>>1836441
>most properly designed saddles should be close enough to level when the rails are level.
This just isn't true, unless your definition of "close enough to level" is pretty lenient.
>>
>>1836303
Ahahaha he doesn’t know what a saddle looks like. You’re the reason people gatekeep cycling you fucking moron
>>
>>1836445
You can just admit when you're wrong. It's not that hard.
>>
File: Capture.png (468 KB, 837x298)
468 KB
468 KB PNG
>>1836443
ffs retarded nigger i said it's the middle section that counts. you don't measure the tilt from tip to rear. also a couple of degrees of forward tilt is acceptable, it's just a simple rule of thumb to say that the saddle should be level as in not extremely tilted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmdCc_8e4vI
>>
>>
>>1836451
See how weird it looks when a saddle company intentionally make a saddle that breaks one of the rules of saddles?
>>
>>1836456
what rule?
>>
>>1836449
I agree with all of that. The point I'm trying to make is that the rails vary on different saddles. Nobody sets up their bike like in your pic by putting a level on the fucking rails, do they? The rails are simply inconsequential. Why can't you faggots just let me yell at a retarded trip for pedantic shit?
>>
Making generalized statements about bike fit exposes you as a smooth brain that doesn't realize people have different body dimensions, shapes, riding styles, flexibility, and targets.

Saddle tilt for example is dependant on A LOT of different factors. What's your saddle to bar drop, do you prefer rolling your hips forward or bending your back, what's your legs to torso ratio, arm length, and riding style, and the saddle in question all play a part in just saddle tilt.

For someone that's riding an upright bike generally a level saddle is a good starting point. For people on aggressive fits it depends on how they get low. If they bend their back then usually slight tilt or level works the best, if they roll their hips forward with a straight back then more aggressive tilt is more likely to work. Also for hip rollers noseless saddles like ISM can be amazing while back benders usually don't like them.

>>1835729
see above
>>
It should be straight or 1 degree forward, no one points in to the ground.
>>
>>1833633
About 10° backwards. I have a thicc saddle and i find i can get the most kilometers without discomfort if its tilted back. My trousers are wide enough and my ballsack long enough for it to find a comfortable place without being crushed.
>>
File: harmonica1.jpg (43 KB, 455x321)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1834462
I once crashed in to a bendy trolley bus i was a little drunk on a bike with no functional brakes, so i knew that i was going to hit. I aimed for the bendy bit since it looks soft and squishy... Its steel ribs and made the hurt 100x more worse
>>
File: 21619a_2.jpg (7 KB, 200x200)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
This is what comfy looks like. I make 100km/week on one of these and never had any saddle pain
>>
>>1836592
I would've aimed far from the wheels to avoid getting crushed under them.
>>
>>1836598
The bus stopped at an intersection because some uncultured letterbox muzlim pedestrian was walking on the road. The bus blocked off the whole width of the bike lane and 2 car lanes.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.