[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 98 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

nakadashi edition

sheldonbrown.com
parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Previous Thread: >>1831133
>>
Do you like riding bikes?
>>
why are the chinese so based

>jagwire sport slick stainless equivalent inner wire
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000148226651.html
>jagwire elite link equivalent cable housing
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004291042732.html
>compression plug that only weighs 18.3g
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004063031123.html
>composite material bottom bracket socket tool that doesn't chew up the notches on your bottom bracket and can conveniently be used with a 10mm hex key instead of a square drive
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004378647254.html
>>
are fruits enough for long riding? what fruits in particular?
what things can i make at home for long rides?
if that fails what are some commonly available snacks that are good for bike rides? don't think i can buy special snowflake biker snacks
>>
>>1832660
store brand fig newtons are cheap. have about 50 calories per bar, 40 of which is from carbs. good shit.
>>
>>1832629
I enjoy riding - I don't as much enjoy steep hill climbs that leave you feel like you're ready to pass out on the road
I like the feeling of being out and riding and going places. Much more enjoyable than driving a car.
I don't enjoy manic road traffic and everyone from cagers to heavy vehicles like trucks and construction vehicles close passing you
>>
>>1832660
I heard fruit to go is good
>>
>>1832629
ya its like the lucid dream of you flying but its irl
>>
>>1832660
fruit is great it's just how well your body can digest them while being under stress

get it wrong and it's a recipe to shit yourself
>>
>>1832674
wouldn't your body just take whatever it can get under stress?
maybe under non-exertion it's like fuck this i don't need the energy anyway
>>
File: Cm8YAdFXEAAgPRU.png (500 KB, 960x630)
500 KB
500 KB PNG
>>1832689
I like energy bars - no gel, not that try hard, and it doesn't have to be super high protein. High sugar is good though for that energy so Clif bars/RX bar or similar are great. Poptarts would be good if you're in touch with your inner child like but they crumble too easy, too fragile. Rice krispees satisfy the same impulse while being more robust and enjoyable actually.

Fruit is good after the fact for sure, I've never had it with me during a ride though. Nectarines, peaches and grapes are great for how juicy they are, super refreshing after a hot ride. Different types of berries are not bad either.

My guilty pleasure is drinking my calories while riding - slushies, smoothies, frozen coffee, etc. Powerade is the most common but feels more utilitarian on the type of rides I bring some for.
>>
File: 1651044777491.jpg (61 KB, 1000x800)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>1832660
Shovel an entire pizza in your face right before you leave so you can digest it as you ride.
>>
>>1832696
i always eat before i leave but run out of energy at 60-70kms
>>
>>1832689
for strenuous exercise you want fast carbs
>>
>>1832660
>are fruits enough for long riding
Fresh no. While dry fruits and nuts are recomended cyclist food.

Bananas are common fresh fruit choice.

Dry figs. Dry nuts. Pressed bars are easy to store and eat.
>>
Is Super Ground worth the extra cost over TwinSkin? I just ride on my own, sometimes downhill over loose gravel.

I currently have the bottom of the range Performance tyres
>>
File: jumex.jpg (67 KB, 768x593)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>1832660
unironically picrel or similar fruit nectar juices. tastes good, coats your mouth so it stops tasting like shit from being dry, easily accessible energy in the form of sugar.
>>
After several years of not having a bike I got a bicycle today and it was a lot of fun.

But I cannot find my old helmet anywhere I think I might have left it behind when I moved. :^(

I had such a great safety yellow green helmet... Put everything I can find is black white dark gray or dark blue.

Tomorrow I will ride my new second hand bicycle to a few big stores and maybe even a couple of bicycle stores in the search for a helmet that is unacceptable high visibility color. And I don't think I've drunk enough fluoride in my life to make me start wearing plain white clothes
>>
>>1832643
nobody's laughing
>>
File: file.png (357 KB, 795x795)
357 KB
357 KB PNG
>>1832776
There's so many helmet colors from pastel to bright neon available on the market. Where are you looking?
>>
>>1832786
South korea
>>
>>1832742
get Super Race it's faster
>>
>>1832788
Who's your favorite idol?
>>
>>1832612
Would it be cheaper to get a gas/electric motor for my Haro mountain bike or buy a $200 electric scooter? Gas prices are bullshit
>>
>>1832791
I almost exclusively listen to 80s music by listening to remixes and alternative versions of vice city wave 103fm
>>
File: IMG_20220731_021847.jpg (216 KB, 1080x582)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
>>1832799
But haven't you heard the gas prices have now fallen faster than they've ever fallen in recorded history?
>>
File: IMG-20220730-WA0000.jpg (72 KB, 720x466)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
Should I buy this Bianchi Ocelot?
>>
>>1832806
Why not? Does it cost a lot?
>>
>>1832806
No
>>
Good 5 speed freewheels are getting harder to come by affordably, so what chain should I get if I want the chain to wear out instead of the freewheel?
>>
>>1832816
Won't happen, chains always wear faster than cogs. But why worry? You can always put 6 or 7 speed freewheels on the same hub that takes a 5-sp cassette, compatible freewheels aren't going away any time soon.
>>
Schrader bicycle valve question.

I have a Pro-Bike Tool mini-pump. Seems to work pretty great so far. However, recently I tried to use it to pump up a bicycle I haven't used it on before. Bicycle had Schrader valves. One tire pumped up fine. The other wouldn't pump at all, because the depresser in the pump wasn't making contact with the pin in the valve. The pin wasn't being pushed down, so no air could enter the tire.

Is there a way to adjust a schrader valve core to raise the height of the pin? Is this advisable? Should I just replace the core? Is this a common problem? Seems retarded that a mini-pump, which you carry for emergencies, can't actually pump up some schrader valve tubes. I'm guessing the valves that came with the bike are just chinese junk or something and out of spec.
>>
>>1832822
Just replace the tube if it has a bad/bent valve.
>>
>>1832818
It's indexed. It has to be 5s and the cog spacing has to be perfect. Really only Shimano UG stuff plays nice with it in my experience.
>>
>>1832824
Oh. You have 5sp index shifters that can't be switched to friction mode? Either way, I would just accept that you may need to make the inexpensive switch to friction shifters or 7-sp indexing at some point in the future. Technology marches ever on. Or stockpile NOS freewheels if you care about keeping this bike original.
>>
>>1832823
That's not the issue. My regular floor pump inflates the tire fine. But the fact the mini-pump can't shows that the valve core must be out of spec, cause the mini pump works on every other tire I've tested it on.
>>
Recommend me a lock to protect my $700 road bike. Most important features are weight and cut-proofness. Ty.
>>
>>1832829
U-lock plus small cable lock for your front wheel. Brand doesn't matter, just get a cheap one, they all have the same deterrent effect.
>>
>>1832816
>Good ... affordable
Just decide which is more important. I've never had a problem with those IRD freewheels, despite what I've read from others on forums. (But I'm the kind of person who will disassemble something before ever using it, to verify that everything is just so.) Yeah, $70 isn't cheap, but steel cogs last a long time.
>>1832824
>indexed
Reconsider how you're living your life.

>>1832822
>>1832828
Just try swapping the core w/ a known working one. That way you can tell if it's a problem with the core or the stem (imagine the threading inside the stem is 'too far down'), and replace the core or tube, resp.

>>1832823
>Just replace the tube
Poor form. Reconsider whether or not you should be giving advice at all.
>>
>>1832822
does the pin look to be a different height than the first one?

maybe you just caught a lucky connection on the first; I ask because most mini pumps require you unscrew the head, flip both the barrel-shaped part that grips the stem and the piece that mashes down the pin . you didn't mention doing any of that so just letting you know in case that's how yours works
>>
>>1832814
Why?
>>
How do I bunny hop on a hybrid bike? I just need to jump over road debris and on curbs. I've watched a few videos on YouTube, but they're generally doing the hops on bikes that are designed to jump high (trial bikes, etc.), and while I could get the front wheel to lift up following their instruction, the rear wheel wouldn't budge.
>>
>>1832837
It's harder to jump on a hybrid because of your position on the bike but it's still possible with the right technique. First, don't pull up on the bars, practice pushing them down into the ground and letting the rebound bounce you back up. For lifting the rear wheel, practice with the bike stopped - lock the front wheel, shift your weight over the bars, and use your feet on the pedals to push the bike backwards and upwards to get a feel for the motion. Again, this will be more difficult with the positioning on most hybrids, but at the very least doing this as best as you can will unweight the rear wheel so that it readily moves as you want it to when going up and over a small bump.
>>
>>1832839
Thanks, that makes sense.
>>
>>1832829
I use a kryptonite chain lock because they are awkward to cut with an angle grinder. imo they are a bit more of a deterrent than a U lock. I would use a U lock though because they are more portable.
>>
>>1832837
I believe rigid bikes is easier to hop than suspension ones. but I never knew about this position of your bike thing so idk
>>
>>1832696
oh god so greasy
>>
Why in the holy mother of Jesus do bicycle lights still exist which still have a micro-usb plug? UGH
>>
>>1832856
Micro USB is still a common interface for all kinds of small electronic devices and works fine. Going to USB C would give a slight improvement in charging rates, but the rechargeable batteries inside bike lights don't have enough capacity for this to matter significantly, so why change to a larger and presumably more expensive interface?
>>
>>1832860
Because I want to get rid of my remaining usb-micro devices so I don't have multiple types of cables.
>>
File: images (84).jpg (45 KB, 681x451)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>1832837
Honestly, just keep practicing. There are people who could do high bunnyhops on fixed gear track bikes whose front end is so low and more suited for pretending to be sprinting in the velodrome. Hybrids as far as I know don't have as an aggressive low front end geo so you should be good in that area.

The way I got rear wheel lifts down is just thinking of jumping up and clawing back on the pedals so my feet won't slip off them while slightly pushing on the handlebars.

Good luck, everything feels awkward and frustrating when youre learning but keep at it and you'll get it eventually.
>>
File: file.png (67 KB, 690x575)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
>>1832861
>>1832860
>>1832856
New EU legislation forces suppliers of consumer electronics to ship only with USB-C going forward. Hopefully, manufacturers of other categories will eventually switch as well, as soon as the old stock of Micro USB crap runs dry.
>>
>>1832873
USB-C requires larger and more expensive interface chip that can detect and reverse data pins to allow the cable to be plugged in either way. This is a major stumbling block for USB-C adoption in low-cost devices.
>>
What do you guys think of the gear ratio of 36/15 on a 27.5x2.00 MTB? Is it too low or too high? I kinda want the feel of 25/9 on the BMX.
>>
>>1832874
Good to know. I mean I've held back from upgrading my ebook reader (2013 kindle paperwhite) as most affordable devices still use old standards. Only when the USB C version comes out will I upgrade.
>>
>>1832873
Where are rechargeable lights on that list though? I wouldn't expect to see most bike lights come with USB C ports, only those that have bluetooth/ANT connectivity...
>>
>>1832882
Well, read my text. Lights are not on the list. but as the demand for micro usb drops in general hopefully other segments also change to the mainstream standard.
>>
File: 1639507747937.gif (5 KB, 300x300)
5 KB
5 KB GIF
>>1832873
>yuros when they realize there's an industry they haven't regulated into the ground yet
>>
File: xobkagxotot01.jpg (127 KB, 1080x1080)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>1832898
>>
>>1832845
different anon, but yeah, you kind of scoop the pedals backwards. hybrids and roadies don't want to do it, but I can hop my roadie up a curb at least. you have to have a certain amount of speed. like, when you realize you want to go up a curb, you have to have enough room to get the speed you need. if you don't have it, you have to get to the curb and lift the front wheel with just enough forward speed that it will get up there, then slowly roll until the rear wheel touches and then crank it over. it's one or the other. if you hop, you have to commit and go real fast so the rear wheel will clear it with the tiny amount of lift those bikes can get.
but yeah practice like other anon said to get the form
>>
File: 1630727241018.jpg (89 KB, 906x577)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>1832900
>pic
Yes, if you don't obey your EU overlords society will collapse and you'll be burning wood for heat. Oh wait...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/germany-stockpiling-wood-in-fear-of-gas-shortage/ar-AAZZXS4
>>
>>1832902
>you kind of scoop the pedals backwards.
*and shift your weight towards the front wheel
>>
>>1832909
*which you've pulled up as high as you could.
man I'm bad at explaining this
>>
>>1832898
fu man. the EU is super nice and efficient. they take about 2% of the total public finance budget (98 % is member state, regional, and local levels) and create consumer-friendly regulations which affect the entire union and have way less corruption than the member state or even regional or local levels.
>>
File: 1650326368854.jpg (32 KB, 600x606)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>1832912
>they might freeze us to death over some corrupt shithole, throw us in prison for facebook posts, and import half of north africa because diversity, but at least we can sleep well knowing our €20 kebab is made from planet-friendly crickets instead of white supremacist beef
>>
>>1832776
>>1832788
Are you the lad that asked about some road bikes last week? Which one did you pick?
>>
>>1832806
>They gave me this bike for a raffle that I didn't do, so I stay there taking up space, the bike is new, because it was never used from the factory, nothing needs to be changed, ideal for a ride. The brand is Italian, it is of quality, not like cheaper new bikes that are less quality. I am from Córdoba capital and I do not ship beyond Córdoba, although I can by mail. It has all shimano. In the photos you can see how immaculate it is. I sell it for the space, that's why it's at a reasonable price.

>23,000 argentinian pesos
>~US$170

[For good bikes] and for a good genre of bikes it's absolute bottom end.
That's the cheapest spec of shimano derailer, a cheap heavy riveted crankset. Junky plastic parts.

The frame will be hiten steel maybe one or two plaingauge cromo tubes. It's probably all quite heavy. And it is NOS but that doesn't mean it will run perfectly without a service as it's been sitting for many years.

I think it's a good deal. It compares favorably to buying a new bike for that much money. But if you're handy you could buy something much better, in worse condition, as a project. So my answer is maybe. I quite like the colour.
>>
>>1832791
anyone who helps me coom
>>
>>1832867
>
>>1832867
>Hybrids as far as I know don't have as an aggressive low front end geo so you should be good in that area.

Thanks, that's encouraging.
>>
First ride after a shitass 3 week due to pneumonia lets fucking goooo
thats all thank you
>>
>>1832967
what is your question
>>
File: DSC_8494.jpg (131 KB, 1024x683)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
Bryton? Stages? Bolt V1? Garmin 130? Something refurbished? Chinese? Looking for something cheap to measure cadence, eventually a power meter when I get a nicer bike. Clear display and good visibility matter of course. The Bolt is most appealing at the moment from what I've seen, the extra display size over the Garmin 130 is appealing. I also like the little LED strip for the segments interaction. Stages original offerings looked interesting for the price but I don't like that you have to subscribe to their service to get the most out of them.
>>
>>1832674
What fruits should I eat to shit myself
>>
>>1832992
dried apricots
>>
>>1832990
lol cadence
>>
>>1832837
It’s like an Ollie if you ever skated. Front goes up then forward which drags the back up.
>>
>>1832990
Frankly I suggest you go read DC rainmaker reviews or similar, not many folks can practically have experience with multiple head units...
My own very limited experience is that a Garmin is always a safe bet, I've rarely/almost never heard complaints about their head units. Personally I'm using one of the new Giant/Stages M200 and am very happy with how it works for tracking and showing data on a ride as well as maps. Like you, all I have on my bike right now is a cadence sensor but looking forward to adding a power meter in the future - especially since the graph/display function on this unit looks like it will be fantastic. I can't really comment on the app though: I did download it out of curiosity and it seems to do plenty without paying for a subscription, but when I have a choice between using my phone and my PC for something I always prefer the latter.
>>
>>1832994
How many per kg of body weight for a good shit
>>
I'm in for a new bike but I want a steel one.
Is this stupid? What are reputable brands for such a bike?
>>
>>1833014
More info needed. What type of bike are you looking for? What's your budget? Also >>/bbg/
>>
>>1832990
If you can program a garmin lets you design a completely custom display instead of the plain default "Numbers in boxes" thing.
>>
File: 1637745348373.jpg (728 KB, 1800x1200)
728 KB
728 KB JPG
>>1833014
>I'm in for a new bike but I want a steel one.
but why?
>>
>>1833018
why not?
>>
>>1833016
Gravel leaning towards street. Can't buy typical street bike because of how shit the streets are.
Budget should stay around 3k yuros tops.

>>1833018
Why not? Good carbon is too expensive and have fun if anything happens to the frame.
Steel just looks sleek, classic and is very robust.
I like steel.
>>
>>1833029
you sound like a noob, don't choose frame material just because of looks
steel has shitty weight, stiffness and aero compared to aluminium or carbon
you could get an aluminium bike like trek checkpoint alr 5
damaging a carbon fork is not a concern if you just install the headset, compression plug and stem correctly
even if you get into a big crash and break the fork you can get a new fork for a couple hundred
>>
>>1832898
and most of those regulations were put in place by the UK. funny that.
>>1832915
kebabs aren't beef, they are usually "lamb" (mystery meat that may have been in the same hemisphere as a sheep), but go off. everybody knows this and they eat them anyway. You could turn around and say they're made of compressed human shit and nobody would care, it's all about the sauces and the soggy pitta bread anyway and I think you already know this, you're just being obtuse.
anyway I need to go for an explosive greasy shit, last nights mystery meat and 500ml of vodka is knocking.
>>
Can I get some opinions about my post in the dead thread >>1832761
>>
>>1833029
not sure what brands you have in whatever part of the EU you're in, or what their price points are, but Surly and All-City are present in the EU and their bikes are good. Ribble's CGR 725 bikes are well-regarded, too
>>1833031
>thinks frames affect aero much
>thinks that moar stiff = better than
>calls others noobs
The bike frame is the last place you go for (very marginal) aero gains that you only need if you're being paid to race, and stiffness is useless (or even detrimental) past the point where you can feel the frame flex as you mash on the pedals or the handling become sloppy when you push it hard into a corner. If you make a bike too stiff in the rear it becomes very uncomfortable, and if you go too stiff in the front it becomes harder to maneuver. Stiffness has little to do with material, anyway. It comes from tubing diameter, length, and wall thickness. The only impact that material has is how thick you need to make the walls to achieve the desired stiffness, which then impacts weight.

Framebuilders are moving away from aero and outright stiffness, even at the top tier racing bike level, and focusing more on the quality of the ride for the intended application. For endurance road/gravel, aero doesn't matter at all, and if it has disc brakes, the frame is going to be more than stiff enough, just to handle the torque of the brakes.
>>
>>1833040
cope
>>
>>1833031
I'm not racing anyone and don't care about muh aero.
I've compared 3k bikes Al vs steel and honestly I found them to be within 1 kg which isn't an issue.

>>1833040
Germany but seems there's no German steel bikes unless you want to spend 5k.
The Ribble you mention is one option I actually consider but with all customization it's already 3k for 105 groupset so idk if it's worth.
>>
>>1833050
1 kg is very noticeable and ribble despite having a german website ships from the UK with high import charges (not just VAT but extra duty for it being a bike from china that you're importing into the EU)
>>
>>1833050
why not buy a used steel bike?
>>
>>1833063
>bike from china
Seriously? Well that's too bad then because I won't pay 3k for chinkshit..

>>1833068
Thought about that too but haven't found anything good yet.
>>
why does my 32c look leaner than you guy's 28c
>>
>>1833038
fuck no, it's a piece of shit
>>
Hi guys, I went for my first ride on my new bike this weekend and really enjoyed it. Only thing is the saddle was like absolute granite. I am going to give it a few weeks to see if it's just a case of my body adjusting to the new saddle but, if it's still an issue, I am going to look to replace it. Can you recommend any decent saddles? Typically I use my bike for touring so would like something good for longer distances.
>>
>>1833129
there's several variables in play here but you sound like you've done this before so I'll try to be brief.
first, the fit you can control has to be dialed in: height, angle, and front/back positions have to be right.
second, the size of the saddle has to fit your body, but your riding position affects how wide your sitbones are as they contact the saddle, which affects the correct overall width you need
thirdly, the saddle might just suck even if your fit is correct. stock saddles are notorious for this.
last, yes, noobs need to break in their ass, the soft tissue over the sitbones will get less tender over time, and as you said the saddle itself may need breaking in although it's more of an issue with traditional leather saddles like Brooks than modern plastic and foam stuff.
>>
>>1832790
>get Super Race it's faster

Too late now I got the Twinguard

I'll try the Super Race next time I change tyres
>>
>>1833125
Different rim width squeezes the tire and makes it narrower.
>>
Which pedals for a mountain bike? Are Shimano good for the price?
0222D2
>>
>>1833202
Yes, Shimano SPD pedals are pretty much unrivaled for MTB clipless at this point since the other options are SPD clones or Crank Brothers pedals. The latter are good tier if mud shedding is your top priority, but otherwise SPD is the way to go.
>>
>>1833204
Thanks for the answer. What about maintainability? Can both pedal models be easily repaired (bearing replacements etc.)?
>>
>>1833205
At the risk of sounding like a Shimano shill, I've run multiple models of their pedals for years and years and never needed to touch the bearings in any of them, they're amazingly reliable. They can be replaced/adjusted, but most folks will simply never need to.
>>
>>1833207
>>1833205
This. I've never used Crank Bros pedals but I've seen a ton of them just worn as fuck. I had a coworker at a shop who was a really good mountain bike racer and he used Crank Bros. I asked him why since they don't seem durable and he said he rides them because they're the lightest option and he'll just replace them every season.
>>
>>1833210
I'm >>1833207
to follow up on this, I actually used CB eggbeaters as my first clipless pedals 15 years ago now and I wore out the bearings in two sets of them. I've not had that problem with any Shimano (or Time) pedals. Supposedly CB is better now, but for a long time they were infamous for having garbage bearings.
>>
>>1833038
>I like how it looks
You like the green tires, which are probably $15 on amazon and will have no grip.
>>
>>1833129
Retards will tell you you just need to suffer until you build up enough callouses on your ass, but go to a local shop or sporting goods place and find something with a good amount of padding (you don't want the couch-like granny seats though, those cause other problems on long rides). Beyond that it's about your position.
>>1833050
>within 1 kg which isn't an issue.
9 kg bike is $1,000
8 kg bike is $3,000
7 kg bike is $10,000
>>
>>1833259
>9 kg bike is $1,000
>8 kg bike is $3,000
>7 kg bike is $10,000
I have a 10 kg bike that's about $5,000. What now?
>>
Do clipless pedals really make a big difference?
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.51 MB, 1600x1600)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB PNG
>>1833205
A problem I've had with mine is this bit here works loose sometimes and needs to be retightened with a proprietary tool (that only costs $3). On better models you can just use a wrench without even taking the pedal off the crank.

>>1833263
Depends what difference you want them to make.
>>
>>1833259
>9 kg .. 8 kg .. 7 kg
Wait a minute, you're telling me I can drop 1kg body weight, and save $7000??? Am I in Canada?
>>
>>1833264
Do they make your cycling experience better? Do they make you faster?
>>
>>1833268
some people like them
some people don't
some people don't care
>>
>>1833263
>>1833268
I don't like foot retention at all, been on a bike since I was 4, never learned about foot retention until I was like 23 or 24, hated it since I can't unlearn my pedaling technique. Now at 32, still using flats.
>>
>>1833267
>just ride a 40 pound bike bro. What are you, fat?
>>
>>1833281
Hey Siri, 40 pounds minus 1 kilogram is???
>>
File: atac 13 17.jpg (31 KB, 588x441)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1833202
>>1833204
MKS used to make killer ATAC pedals called USB-B. But it looks like they've maybe discontinued them, and the only ATAC ones they make are USB-A (flat on one side, clipless on the other).
I fuckin love those pedals. But... it looks like so many years later SPD has finally won out. Buy what's still made.

>>1833272
Hmmm, if they're set up correctly, clipless (or straps, etc) shouldn't negatively affect your stroke. This is from someone with a twisted pelvis... some dickhead farmer ran me over when I was 11.
>>
>>1833125
its kinda insane how bullshit tire sizes are
i just fitted some '42' and they are 36

also this:
>>1833197
>Different rim width squeezes the tire and makes it narrower.
>>
>>1833297
>'42' and they are 36
Rim dimensions? Inner width is 17mm?
Just curious how it compares to my chart from Schwalbe.
>>
>>1833284
TIME still makes ATAC pedals and cleats, tho they're owned by SRAM nowadays. The float and mud clearance is nice but sometimes mine unclip a bit too easily
>>
File: 2772277892_899756fdef_o.jpg (670 KB, 1276x1650)
670 KB
670 KB JPG
>>1833263
>Do clipless pedals really make a big difference?

The main reason to go to clipless is if you get sore feet riding distance. A good setup will eliminate hotspots.
They also make things a lot easier when you bonk because you can't lazily shift your feet around which is psychologically very helpful.
And you'll have a stiffer interface so sprinting and pedalling generally feels a bit better.

Imo clipless are fantastic but riding flat pedals and having ordinary shoes when you go out on a bicycle is also fantastic. Something to consider over flat pedals is just a better flat pedal setup.

Also clipless make fitting a bike more complicated and can lead to knee problems if you get it wrong.
>>
>>1833301
Yeah 17mm.
'42mm' conti contact are 36mm

on another bike also 17mm rims '40mm' g-ones are also 36mm.

I know 17mm is narrow now even for a road wheel but it has been a pretty std size for a trekking rim for a while and it's still within spec per their charts and it's not an extreme combo that causes squirm. Hell even mtb rims for 2" tires were often that narrow.

Makes me think if i want 42mm tires i have to buy 2" ones.
>>
What's the best way to carry 3+ bottles on a bike with only 2 cage mounts?
>>
File: 1632435808262.jpg (37 KB, 748x600)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
So if I always change my chain at or before 0.5 I'll never need to replace my cassette?
>>
File: IMG_8031 (Custom).jpg (967 KB, 3000x2000)
967 KB
967 KB JPG
>>1833050
>Germany but seems there's no German steel bikes unless you want to spend 5k.

You should look for a classic trekking bike. Winora, Stevens, etc. There are some pretty high-spec German cromoly ones from back in the day. I've bought a few in NZ. MTB groupset, 700c wheels. Wide clearance because fenders. If you remove all the german accessories you have a pretty good gravel bike/ comfy beater/ tourer.

Don't exclude womans bikes either unless you're really tall.
It's easy to pick the good ones too. Just anything with a STX/Deore/XT groupset on it.
>>
>>1833310
Triathlon style saddle mount, or use hose clamps to add a third bottle cage to your frame.

>>1833311
No, you'll still need to replace your cassette after 2-3 chains, but the alternative is needing to replace it every time and keeping up on chain maintenance means your chainrings will last a long time too.
>>
>>1833310
>What's the best way to carry 3+ bottles on a bike with only 2 cage mounts?
depends why you want to do that

the worst way is those gay under saddle tri mounts

>>1833311
Depends. You should get atleast 5 chains of wear from it though.
>>
>>1833302
Yea, I know. It used to be that Jap companies aped the best French designs, for less $$. I guess those days are over... both ends of the equation are unbalanced.
And I don't bitch about China/Ali clones, it's just that MKS quality was reliably top notch.
>sometimes mine unclip a bit too easily
I view that as a good thing, sort of forms good habits. Like how you don't hold onto the bars too tight during the rough stuff... to a point, don't try to dictate movement through the pedals. (And yea, I hate when people just say "git gud".)

>>1833306
I know rim-tire size charts are all sort of nebulous ("more art than science"), but I find that Germs are usually accurate. 4mm or ~1/8" seems to be the sort of 'step size', and the difference between 40 & 42 falls in that interval. It's one those areas of cycling that fails compared to other industries that require accuracy. In my experience the only way to get a for sure accurate measurement is to use say, Mavic-on-Mavic.
>>
>>1833310
juggle
>>
>>1833310
There are mounts that you can clamp to the frame if it's steel and they'll allow you to install another bottle cage, or you could put a mount and cage on your handlebars or one of those soft bags on the bars that'll hold a bottle or whatever else you want.

Here's a collage I made just for you because I love you.
>>
>>1833347
those little clamps like in the center pic break pretty easily, i'd consider a cup holder bag with straps like in the left pic
>>
File: chrome_PZw7ucbtgD.png (42 KB, 1155x362)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
KMC recommends changing your chain at 1% stretch. what do you guys make of this?
why is it so commonly recommended that you replace at .75 if not .5%

they also say:
>If you regularly checked your chain and the chain checker now starts to falls through, it indicates that your chain has worn beyond 75%.

>In principle, the chain can be used for another 25% of the distance already covered. (E.G. the mileage is 3000, and the chain checker starts to fall through, then replace WITHIN the next 1000 miles)

>We recommend you to replace the chain within this distance; this way, you stand a good chance of not having to change your cassette and chain wheels.

So its not like they aren't concerned with cassette wear
>>
>>1833355
I'm ok with maybe prematurely changing chains because new clean chains are so nice and cleaning them well is so tedious.
>>
>>1833355
some chains already have loose enough tolerances to indicate that they're worn when they're new
.5% is probably too conservative, you'll have to replace the cassette once every few chains regardless
>>
So what are some tubes that won't get fucked up by a simple gap in concrete
>>
>>1833366
inner tubes?
michelin airstop
pirelli p zero smartube
ridenow tpu tubes
tubolito x-tubo
>>
>>1833366
It’s important not to buy a frame with cheap American/Chinese tubing and instead stump up for the Italian frame.
>>
>>1833370
I think he means inner tubes, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>1833204
>>1833207
>>1833210
>>1833264
Thank you for your answers, anons!
Are Shimano flats Just As Good™ as clipless? And are the clips really that much worth it? I've been riding flats for most of my life now and I'm unsure if I want to make the switch.
>>
>>1833400
Really depends on you and the riding you're doing. Foot retention is really helpful for disciplines where pedaling efficiency is important: road, cross/gravel, xc MTB, etc. but for trail/DH MTB use there are some advantages to flats too and ultimately it's a matter of preference. Only way to know what you like is to try different things... As for pedal brands, with flats the options from Shimano are fine, but unlike with clipless where there's only a few players, there's no shortage of brands that offer good quality flat pedals in a variety of styles, sizes, and colors.
>>
>>1833379
Yeah
>>
>>1833420
Alright, I'll stick with flats for now. Thanks!
>>
>>1833197
mine says 17c so does the tyre become narrower and taller on a narrow rim or what
>>
File: 1639532195853.png (388 KB, 750x962)
388 KB
388 KB PNG
>>1833355
>sell chinkshit chains that fail at 0.5% brand new
>tell customers to let it rock until 1.0 so they don't complain about crappy longevity
>>
What are the difference you expect to observe betweem two different groupsets like Deore XT and Altus?
What justifies the higher price and is it worth it?
>>
>>1833490
This is a stupid question. The generalizations you can make are obvious and the specific differences should be discussed in context.
>>
>>1833491
Thats just a stupid answer
>>
>>1833491
Good answer
>>
>>1833460
you people are on some ridiculous mental gymnastics, for instance you simp hard for square taper cranks even when it's a custom build (not just an old or entry level bike which existing square taper cranks) and the anon is considering it just for low maintenance reasons, while at the same time you're fully aware of the square taper interface getting messed up from repeated or improper assembly/disassembly and you fully expect to break the spindle just from your pedaling force sooner or later, you also simp for steel frames even when it's a 3000 euro bike etc
>>
>>1833519
You sure told off that imaginary person in your head. Good job anon.
>>
File: Capture.png (67 KB, 693x673)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
do you really lock your bike up in your garage? what a pain in the ass.
>>
I want to get my gf into cycling. However, she doesn't have a bike? Can anyone recommend any decent ways to get her into the sport and what might be a second hand decent first bike to look to get her? I was thinking a beginner road bike may be decent and then we can branch out from there.
>>
>>1833531
>just california things
>>
>>1833546
girls should be on mtbs because they're noob friendly and the bumps from the road will be absorbed by the suspension and won't kill her womb
road bikes not specifically made for women can give them reach issues which isn't an issue on mtbs in fact mtbs should be called girls bikes the compact geo looks like a step through almost
>>
File: 1635897134576.png (23 KB, 1103x911)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>1833554
Don't gatekeep, shitlord.
>>
>>1833556
it's sound advice you fucking moron
they always end up being on mtbs anyway
>>
>>1833554
I'll bare that in mind. However, I don't think we'll be doing any mtbing anytime soon. Would the mtb still be okay going on longer road rides?
>>
>>1833546
>>1833560
Do not get her a fking mtb. Get her something that will inspire her to get more invested in cycling, aka early experiences of success. You could go for a gravel bike with road tires or a hybrid with 32mm road tires depending on how well-skilled she is at handling a bike with more narrow handlebars. I would not go too aggressive geometry for the first bike unless she has good core strength and flexibility.
>>
>>1833546
an entry level road bike like trek domane al 2 would be fine. don't get a mtb, at most a trek dual sport (one of the higher tier models with a lockout fork so that you can turn the suspension on/off) but even a dual sport is a meme compared to a trek fx which is the best normie tier bike. a trek fx isn't as good as a road bike for longer rides but it depends on what you mean by longer rides.
>>
>>1832942
$23,000 Argentinian fake paper currency is 80 burgers, not $170.
>>
Wahoo bolt v2 or Garmin edge 530 as first bike computer? Which would you rate?
>>
how in the fuck am I supposed to get a comfortable bike fit on a road bike my neck hurts cause I have to look up constantly and i feel a lot of weight on my hands

please help I know jack shit about road bikes and bicycles
>>
>>1833608
Extend your thoracic spine to open up the angle at the base of the neck. Now you can see without uncomfortably extending your neck. Move as much weight as you can to the pedals. Expect to be uncomfortable in a fully tucked position.
>>
File: file.png (152 KB, 428x267)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
>>1833608
>>
>Cheap chinese crap faucet about to close
How will the bike industry recover?
>>
I can't shift into the 2nd highest cog, the 13t in this sequence, 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25. All others are fine, but in the 13t, the chain always wants to skate at a certain point in the cog's rotation. I've never seen this problem before.

This is a 9spd friction setup with new parts (shifters, cranks, cassette, chain). This is the first time I've ever tried a Microshift cassette. As a test I swapped it for a used but not dead Tiagra cassette, exact same sequence. No problem there.

Have you ever known a cassette to have malformed teeth? Are Microshift parts shit? The tooth profiling (shift aids) are slightly different from the Shimano cassettes I have, but nothing looks outright wrong.
>>
>>1833608
>my neck hurts cause I have to look up constantly and i feel a lot of weight on my hands
those are indicators your seat height or handlebar height, or both are wrong for your body.
>>
>>1833645
Refit the top couple of cogs and pay special attention to making sure they’re fitting square. I had this with my friction 9 speed setup last time I had to remove and refit the cassette and micro shift cassettes seem to let the 2nd from top cog to in at a slight angle.
>>
>>1833645
>Are Microshift parts shit
no but they're not quite as tight tolerances as shitmano. that might be enough to mean it doesn't shift properly if something else is a bit off. I sometimes have to go up 2 and back down 1 to get from 9th to 8th on my microshift cassette otherwise it grinds, and sometimes it works if its in the mood. Is the new chain KMC? that might also be it, same thing where its not shit but the quality is noticeably not as good.

>9 speed friction
rofl
>>
>>1833712
>clueless retard gives an opinion based on entire companies’ product lines being teams in a sports league
>totally unaware of modern friction shifting trends
What a terrible post
>>
>>1833715
thanks for the (You) m8. don't care.
>>
>>1833608
road bikes are not supposed to be comfort bikes i'm afraid. you can adjust and readjust the fit as much as you want but there's always going to be some level of discomfort on any bicycle with any amount of saddle to bar drop where you crouch over to become aerodynamic. exercise isn't supposed to feel like a blowjob it's supposed to be strenuous and mildly uncomfortable at the very least.
>>
>>1833715
>modern friction shifting trends
>modern friction shifting trends
there's already a containment thread for your kind of "people"
>>
I am obese and could not hope to use friction shifting unless it is an upright bar. Downtube shifters are out of the question. Please be more inclusive in the thread!!!
>>
>>1833737
>>1833726
Why would you answer a question you don’t know the answer to?
>>
File: file.png (22 KB, 582x240)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>1833746
I didn't answer your question I kindly redirected you to the friction shifting containment area.
>>
File: 1630728918346.png (1.78 MB, 1280x720)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB PNG
>>1833608
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMZ241fyVfiv3eAJ4UYkzeb2JltpLSlzs
Metrosexual australian guy will sort you. (tl;dw lowering your saddle solves literally every single bike fit problem)
>>
>>1833748
Friction shifting is great and actually seems to work better with modern cassettes with smaller spacing because ramps etc have come so far and there’s less area that’s “not a gear”. Friction shifting is great and you should join us.
>>
>>1833635
At least he managed to lose this one without pissing away $60 billion and flushing the world economy down the toilet again.
>>
>>1833635
W-what?
>>
>>1833752
https://twitter.com/greg_price11/status/1554166267527004160

Assume he means this. Biden caved to Xi and Taiwan's as good as annexed.
>>
>>1833753
Why are American politics so ridiculous? Borderline illiterate rapist or demented war hawk, what a choice you had.
>>
File: 1632706913689.png (517 KB, 629x787)
517 KB
517 KB PNG
>>1833756
But why did you describe Biden twice?
>>
>>1833756
No denying that, but much of the rest of the world is no better.
>>
>>1833760
Idk man I don’t usually jump on with the America bashing but this time it seems like you really did have no choice. Hillary was obviously absolutely awful and a hawk but at least she was in charge of her faculties. An old man who isn’t sure what’s going on is dismantling Pax Americana and that affects the entire world.
>>
File: 1651761334877.png (46 KB, 540x310)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
>>1833762
>mean-tweets guy who made more real progress for world peace than anyone in decades
vs
>unironically mentally incompetent guy trying desperately to start WW3

Yes, truly no choice.
>>
>>1833763
homie if you think only one of the two parties in the system is fucked up, then i don't know what to tell you
>>
>>1833767
Trump isn't a republican, he just hijacked the party and used it as a vessel to get elected because the system is hopelessly rigged against third parties. The republican establishment has been trying to get rid of him since 2015 so they can get back to the whole "fellating corporations and bombing muslims" thing that they'd been doing forever.
>>
File: 1627979924386.jpg (10 KB, 218x231)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>biden embarrasses the country yet again
>BLLBLB.B..BUT DRUMPFF!!
>>
>>1833768
OK well he's still retarded.
>>
>>1833698
I had a second look at it, and there's sort of a witness mark, where the 12t pressed up against the 13t after install/proper torque. That looks fine, equal all around. In a few days I think I'll try knocking off the high spots on the back of the 13t with a piece of black sandpaper & glass. There are a few raw/slightly rolled edges, so maybe the 13t isn't sitting up against the 14 just right.

I've got three days here where it's not fucking hot, and really I just want to ride this new setup. I was a bit impatient earlier.

>>1833712
>Is the new chain KMC
It's a Sram 971. I've used similar for years, 991 until they stopped making it, then 971. Never had any problems with Sram chains & quick links.

>>1833750
>Friction shifting is great
I love it. Quick, and quiet. This cassette thing is the first issue I've had in years.
>>
>>1833608
post a picture
>>
are disk brakes for people without the hand strength to lock up their wheels with rim brakes?
>>
>>1833837
I mean it does sound silly, but a hydraulic disc brake is significantly easier to operate than a cable actuated brake. Again, sounds kind of silly but arm pump is real on a gnarly trail. But that being said, disc brakes are usually just more powerful in general and more consistent in variable conditions.
>>
File: 1636804853460.png (171 KB, 345x324)
171 KB
171 KB PNG
>>1832612
1. Where/What moped can I acquire to fix my desire for a 49cc I can putter around the local area with? I like mopeds but I can't really find any. scooters are kinda lame in comparison.

2. What's the best type of mountain bike for hitting any random trail you find in the country? I'd like to build my own to learn how, but I have like zero knowledge of bicycles. It will also double as my only bike/daily rider in the city too.
>>
>>1833845
As for #2, that's a tough one. The way I see it, you should tailor a bike for the most extreme terrain it's going to see. So if you truly want it to be capable of hitting ANY trail, then it's gotta be a downhill bike, but that's not going to be any fun riding around a city. If you're just going to ride moderate trails that a hardtail can easily handle, then that's a little more realistic.
>>
>>1833850
So a 1 size fits all won't do it then.
If I wanted to cover as many bases as possible, get a downhill for extreme trails and some kind of hardtail for the flatter stuff?
>>
>>1833850
>just get the heaviest, most specialised type of off road bike for your local trails
Stop posting immediately
>>
>>1833853
Are you really doing to be riding downhill lines though? Also, what are you going to want out of a city bike? Fenders? A rear rack? Most mountain bikes don't have the mounts for accessories like that. Just like most scenarios in life, there are going to be sacrifices if you try to find a "one size fits all" solution.
>>1833855
I was pointing out how that's not the best option. Do you need to take a reading class?
>>
>>1833860
>entry level mountain bikes won’t have commuter mounts
Stop posting immediately
>>
>>1833860
>Are you really doing to be riding downhill lines though?
possibly. my job takes me around the country and I want a mountain bike with me to go riding around places near where im staying.
>Also, what are you going to want out of a city bike?
something to get me from point a to point b. something i can ride on for an hour or 3 exploring the areas around me, but also handle rough off-road areas as well as nice smooth concrete and asphalt pavements.
i don't really have need to carry cargo. i'm not using this for deliveries. I have a backpack I can bring water and stuff in.
>>
>>1832612
thoughts on helmets?
imo helmets are for fags and commuters.
i'd still wear on on highways tho if i cared.
>>
>>1833865
>>
>>1833861
Entry level "mountain bikes" aren't mountain bikes.
>>1833863
>my job takes me around the country and I want a mountain bike with me to go riding around places near where im staying.
That's pretty cool. And it's probably just the bike nut in me, but I'd want 2 different bikes if I were in your position. That doesn't mean it's absolutely necessary of course. Maybe try renting a bike or two during your travels to get a feel for riding some different options. Mountain bike rentals are super common in areas with a lot of trails so you could get an idea of the kind of trails you'd like to ride and "how much" bike you need to ride them.
>>
>>1833865
I've seen too many people die or get serious head injuries to not wear one if I'm going out on a fast ride, but I don't always wear one around the city.
>>
>>1833868
>travelling a lot? bring 2 bike bags
Stop posting immediately
>>
>>1833871
actually i have a toy hauler.
>>
>>1833871
You're really contributing to the thread, thanks.
>>
>>1833870
always wore one while skateboarding down huge hills. dont care if i look like a faggot. it's a huge hill and it's prety often you fall off a skateboard.
>>
>>1833865
Personally I wear a helmet when I'm doing cycling as a sport but not when I'm riding a bike for transport. That's what makes sense to me based on experience and an assessment of the risks involved, but maybe your calculations will be different...

>>1833837
If you really want to understand, I recommend getting a 90's MTB with cantilevers and taking it on a long technical ride with plenty of downhill sections. After a couple hours you'll find that no matter how strong your grip strength is, you can't keep squeezing brakes forever without fatigue (which is problematic for staying in control of your braking) and push too far and you'll get hand cramps. Hand cramps suck. Brakes that require less force at the lever really do help if you want to be able to ride in control and keep riding for longer before you hit your physical limits.

>>1833756
>why
My take is that it's because many Americans (of all political stripes) have bought into the idea that selfishness is wise.

>>1833645
Your derailer hanger is bent.
>>
>>1833887
>Your derailer hanger is bent.
generally, that would cause him to have problems with the 12t cog as well.
>>
>>1833678
also i should have said you should try moving your seat forward. on one of my crappy bikes i kept messing with everything then finally moved the actual seat forward and it made all the difference
>>
>>1833887
America is individualistic (the red parts anyway), not "selfish". People in cities or commie countries sacrifice their individuality and happiness to live as drones looking for meaning in shared delusions that their obedience and sacrifice will contribute to some larger project that will never directly improve their lives at all.
>>
>>1833907
lol this is the most American explanation I've ever heard.
>>
>>1833569
>>1833572

Thanks lads, I was thinking a road bike or a gravel bike where you can swap the tyres out would be more sensible as I don't intend to do any MTBing anytime soon. I'll keep an eye out for some that are cheap and in her size before finding some easy entry level rides in my area. I'm hoping this can be a sport we can do together if I don't force it too much.
>>
>>1833907
What’s individualistic about shitting in the street and stinking 24/7 because you only shower for dates and job interviews? Americans are a slime race.
>>
>>1833914
>shitting in the street
California is only technically america. They keep promising to secede but never follow through.

>and stinking 24/7 because you only shower for dates and job interviews
Obsessing over what irrelevant strangers think of you is mental illness, anon.
>>
>105 chain
>"precise shifting and improved durability thanks to SHIMANO's SIL-TEC treatment on the inner plate surfaces"
>$30

>ultegra chain
>exact same chain except with "SIL-TEC" on the outer plates too
>$37

>duraace chain
>exact same chain except with hollow pins to save 10g
>$53

wut buy?
>>
I'm getting an entry level race bike and It comes with 23mm tires, are these too narrow for the city? I live near a lot of bike paths but I will inevitably be riding on the pavement or a dirt road from time to time. How easy is to eat shit on narrow tires in coomparison with wide mtb tires I got now?
>>
>>1833955
pretty easy to casually eat shit on average city surfaces if you aren't used to pube-hair-width tires.
>>
>>1833955
23, 25, and 28 are actually all the same size, just with different names

they all measure 26mm
>>
>>1833945
105 seems plenty. outer plates should not rub unless your rd is not set up correctly.
>>
>>1833964
what sorcery is this
>>
>>1833969
measure if you don't believe me
>>
File: mystery bolt.jpg (1.2 MB, 3311x2533)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
this bolt just fell out of my 600EX RD, from inside the main body. Aby idea what it's for, derailleur seems to be working fine without.

I'd rather not take the entire thing apart, I'm hoping it's a foreign object that got trapped in there sometime over the past 30 odd years, it literally fell out after I heard it rattling about and gave it a shake.
>>
File: hole.jpg (5 KB, 168x146)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>1833985
It's how the cable clamps. It goes through this hole from the inside. It is really annoying to get back in. There's a allen bolt nut that goes on the outside with a washer that the cable clamps under.
>>
File: IMG-20220802-WA0001.jpg (75 KB, 720x747)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Should I buy this GT talera?
>>
>>1833985
go on si.shimano.com type in the model number and then you can see where each part goes.
>>
>>1833988
cheers anon, what a retard I am at times.
>>
>>1833992
depends on price, condition, fit, your taste etc.

If it's in '''''low mileage well maintained''''' condition, is cheap, fits you and you like it then buy it.

Terrible pic doesn't help. it looks tidy but I wouldn't pull the trigger without seeing it up close.
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/FixedGearBicycle/comments/wdram4/the_88_new_yorker_sees_us/
nobody knows that the orange bike is a crescent ffs? someone thought it was a merckx.
>>
>>1833964
Depends on tire model and rim width. 23mm to 28mm it's a lot.
>>
>>1833996
The owner is a girl, she has better close up photos but this is the only with the full view of the bike.
She asks for $130 lol, but the bike seems to be in good condition
>>
>>1833964
when I switched my single speed from 23 to 28, I had to get a new chain to move the wheel further from the seat post. also, the tire now goes out slightly past the rim when before it was flush.
>>
>>1833997
Hey!
Thanks for introducing me to a cool new site.
I would "upvote" you if I could lol
>>
if I have these two tires, does it matter which I put in the front and which goes in the back? they are both 1.25 inch width
>>
Put the sturdier one on the back.
>>
>>1833964
>they all measure 26mm
I have a pair of 28s that measure 27 mm. I have another pair of 28s that measure 29 mm.
Notice how neither 27 nor 29 equals 26.
>>
is this stuff okay for derailleur pivot points? I dont have triflow, previously used wd-40 chain dry lube and it worked great.
would this stuff gunk up from dust contamination? should I stick with the dry lube?
>>
>>1834008
Put the one with better grip up front.
>>
>>1834008
you should always put the one with the front treading on the front
>>
>>1834013
>>1834014
thx
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (66 KB, 600x600)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
can anyone fucking explain me why maintenance of bike is way fucking more difficult than a car? a bike - two wheels and a few screws with gears. car - a whole shitload of complex mechanical/electrical/hydraulic stuff that intended to work in a particular order. i bought a brand new bike, rode with it a few dozen of kilometers and that shit fell apart right on the road. chain kept getting off, gears kept skipping, the gear switcher doesnt work properly. the only thing that worked as intended were brakes and wheels. i came home fucking furious. i bought this shit BRAND NEW and i have to hassle with fucking adjustments? is this 20th century all over again? Hello??? BRAND NEW ITEM NEEDS WRENCHING. i own a 20 year old shitbox that rides better and needs less maintenance that this abomination on two wheels. okay i went to shop for them to wrench and fix stuff. they did. after a while a felt that chain may rub again against derailleur. i turned a few screws to adjust and EVERYTHING FUCKED UP AGAIN. its been almost a month since i got on my bike. everyime i get it out to fix it, everything fails i just fucking smash it on the ground and leave it laying again. is there some sort of 101 for dummies on how to reset and properly get your bike ready? i have done DIY on a car without zero mechanical knowledge and still managed to get job done. the fact that i cant fix a damn bicycle fill me with biggest fucking rage.
>Pic related
>>
>>1834016
Yes, bike mechanics is pretty simple but if you don't know what you're doing it will obviously end up badly. Bike Mechanics Jesus is Moustache Man, search up Park Tool tutorial videos on YouTube. There's also the written version on their website.
>>
>>1834016
I'm assuming it was improperly assembled, which is apparently common in big box stores
I had a mountain bike when I was a teenager and I'm looking for a bike to ride on the street casually with some possible riding on the grass when needed

I wanted to ask this place for the best cheapest option for my needs but it's 4chan
>>
>>1833945
KMC
>>
>>1834018
90s rigid MTB. I'd link you to the proper thread on /n/ but it has been derailed and you'll end up with a bad image of us.
>>
>>1833955
every messenger from the 80s thru the 90s ran 23. just don't inflate to the maximum and watch where you're going. the ride will bounce you around a little more but it'll teach you to pick good lines. when they wear out get something wider if you want, but make sure they fit within your frame and fork
>>
>>1834012
ITs a wet proof oil.
Water will not pass.
Dust will be collected.

So its good if you ride in rain. but expect the cleaning to be more annoying and require some solvant or strong degreaser.
>>
>>1834022
Link me
I looked up rigid thinking it was a brand, clearly I'm clueless
>>
>>1834027
it just means no suspension
>>
>>1834028
Ah
Which brands would you recommend for the 90s
I had a modest bike back then, nothing of real quality but it was definitely a steel frame as I really beat the hell out of it and it took it like a champ
>>
>>1834016
uh, bikes are easier than cars. I've worked on both. there's only like ten or twenty things to know on a bike. your problem, I'm guessing,is
>you don't know what you're doing
see OP for mustache man on Park Tool
>you bought a cheap bike that was assembled by retards and you didn't know enough to check it
see above
>you're used to doing everything with retard strength on cars
all bike building and tuning requires finesse. a quarter turn of a screw can be the difference between right and wrong
>>
>>1834029
Which brands would you recommend from the 90s?*
My bad, phone posting
>>
>>1834027
he means the /bbg/ .
iunno about the current thread but you can try there or wait for the next thread. the idea is they'll show you how to pick a frame that fits you and give recs for your budget. if you're cool with used (potentially best value but hard for noobs to tell) they'll go through your local Craigslist.

we can d it, too,but at least read the/bbg/ sticky first
>>
>>1834018
used bikes are technically the cheapest but it's really more trouble than it's worth if you're not dirt poor and ignorant about what you're missing out on vs a newer bike
>>
>>1834031
Brands don't matter. Take a bike with cro-mo frame, original deore dx or xt. Watch the bike fit. Some have exceptionally long stems on them.
>>
>>1834018
Get a quality 90s steel 700c wheel hybrid. Unlike road bikes these already came with modern design shifters. You can build such a bike to be a tourer or gravel or commuter etc.
>>
File: pidserfrog.png (287 KB, 785x847)
287 KB
287 KB PNG
how much will a low end fixie that won't break down cost me? im looking for the best cheap:quality ratio, i dont care about bells and whistles
>>
>>1834048
I'm looking at the 6KU
Can I get something for a bit cheaper?
>>
>>1834048
the cheapest option would be to buy a department store fixie, replace the bottom bracket, grease the hubs, etc. bike + parts + tools would cost $200. it won't be lightweight, but it would work.
>>
>>1834053
I'm not a wrenchlet, I fix trucks for a living, so tool expenses are literally nothing
Anything I can do other than the bottom bracket? Buying department store trash and modifying it sounds appealing now you brought that up
>>
>>1834048
Best option would be to buy the nicest used example you can afford. Or patrician style - buy a late 80's Peugeot ATB and stick an SS drive train onto it.
>>
>>1834057
You'd probably want to replace the pedals and saddle at some point, but that goes for any bike. The brake pads might be worth replacing too, but the grease is the most important thing. A lot of department store bikes are poorly greased from the factory, so redoing the hub grease and getting a new bottom bracket solves a lot of the maintenance problems out of the gate.
>>
>>1834060
thanks a lot for the info man i really appreciate it
ill be doing that now
>>
>>1834048
>best cheap:quality ratio
something with a chromoly steel frame like kilo tt, state 4130, fuji feather
hiten steel like 6KU or walmart are strongly not recommended
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvranrFFKys
>>
>>1834068
Those bikes are over $500.
>>
>>1834069
that's how much a decent bike that's suitable for an adult costs
trek fx 1 is $600
trek domane al 2 is $1100
you're not going to enjoy riding a $250 6KU, you'd have to be desperate like a hobo to ride it, it's $250 down the drain, better look for used bikes at that price point
>>
>>1834030
>you don't know what you're doing
i dont. neither did i know what i was doing when doing maintenance work on my car. but somehow i figured it out. loose that, unscrew that, reach that, swap it out, assemble everything back and good to go
>you bought a cheap bike that was assembled by retards and you didn't know enough to check it
it wasnt the cheapest. assembled by retards. you mean those at the factory? i doubt somebody at the shop will assemble anything besides maybe wheels and steering wheel
>you're used to doing everything with retard strength on cars
not really. im lazy to use full power/force. however, not a moment im hesitating to smash that fucking bitch to the ground and jump on it with my full weight to punish for not working properly. seriously. i bought bike to ride it mindlessly and effortlessly. its a bike afterall - anyone should be able to fix it with one single screwdriver and a few turns here and there. if i wanted to sweat and try to wrench shit - i'd just get back to my old-ass car and do something useful there, rather than wasting my time/nerves and physical energy on something so fucking basic and essential. bikes should be maintenance-free, thats why they exist. if thats not the case, why the fuck civilization needs bikes? lets just buy mopeds/motorcycles or tiny scooters (heck even electric ones) and just hoon around without breaking a sweat. how often do you need to adjust components on your moped or electric scooter? exactly - you dont. and expenses are merely much bigger, unless youre a retard who blasts full speed everywhere and crashes on every corner. now, back to the topic. i have watched dozen of videos and read a lot of info about adjusting gears. i have figured out that this and that moves the derailleur back and forth. seems simple right? WRONG. i still CANT fucking get it right.
>>
>>1834025
thanks
>>
>>1833575
Damn, inflation is crazy in Argentina
>>
>>1834017
Sheldon Brown*
>>
how do you do a basic fixie conversion
do you just remove all the parts related to the gears, put a new rear wheel hub inside of the wheel with a new chain? assuming the gears would be correct with the crankset
>>
>>1834057
if youre going to buy something shit just to have a project, buy something old but local. I've pulled bikes out of the weeds down by the river and rebuilt them from other junk and its a fun time. don't spend more than you need to though
>>
>>1834100
Give this a read, it covers a lot of ground.
https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

About the only hub/mounting option not mentioned are those ISO mount cogs, like from VeloSolo. The rest of it hasn't really changed since the last time fixed gear was popular.
>>
Is there a name for this?
Pic is from a local CL listing, some Peugeot from the 70s.
>>
my derailleur tension pulley wheel has a direction arrow. does it really matter if its installed backwards?
>>
>>1834072
lol didn't read. skipped to the end.

this board is all dudes who fixtheir own bikes. the problem is definitely you
>>
>>1834109
yeah, its name is "don't buy."

that's a steel rim. the brake pads will not grip it when wet. they quit making them even on the cheapest bikes in the 80s. it's cheap and old. buy something else
>>
>>1834113
I didn't say I was interested in buying it.
I asked "is there a name for this".
>>
>>1834115
yeah, its name is "don't buy."
>>
can someone post the screenshot of how the bicycle is the ultimate symbol of freedom, i need it for an assignment (american uni is a joke)
>>
>>1834016
>why maintenance of bike is way fucking more difficult than a car?
Swapping a taillight bulb is more complicated than building an entire bike from parts.
>rode with it a few dozen of kilometers and that shit fell apart right on the road. chain kept getting off, gears kept skipping, the gear switcher doesnt work properly.
Don't buy bikes at walmart. The parts are all chinkshit garbage and it was assembled by apathetic walmart wagies.
> is there some sort of 101 for dummies
Park tool jewtube channel. The fact that Calvin the autist is literal Bike Maintenance Jesus should hopefully make you feel appropriately ashamed of your incompetence.

>>1834057
>thinks car tools are sufficient to fix up bikes
>doesn't know about the $15 chain breaker or the $20 bottom bracket wrench or the $84 derailleur hanger alignment gauge or the $154 hydraulic brake bleed kit

>>1834115
It's named "steelie cope".

>>1834111
It takes 2 minutes and a hex key to flip it around you lazy fuck.
>>
>>1834016
what bike did you buy
post a pic
>>
hello sirs newfag here, i want to spend $500 on my first bike any suggestions? preferably new. just for daily exercise along the beach paths
>>
>>1834158
Get something without suspension (will make the bike significantly lighter and very cheap suspension doesn't work very well).
And try to find an 8 or 9 speed bike, not 7 speed, which is a signifier of an overall acceptable level of quality above shit tier.
If 7 speed avoid bikes with freewheels not cassette hubs, which is a similiar mark.
Beyond that look at brake and tire spec, make sure it's a colour you like, and fit.

Recommending specific models is pointless because of locality and limited availability. If you have actual options you're on the fence about post em for hot takes.
>>
>>1834158
you'll get a far better used bike for that money but there are a few new bikes that are ok
>>
>>1834158
trek fx 1
>>
Are single bolt seat post clamps as bad as I think they are? I worry they aren't as adjustable (I've been trying out quite a bit of tilt and enjoying it), and I've heard they don't secure and hold position as well for the saddle.
>>
Is there a good single speed freewheel to fill the niche between Shimano and White Industries? The knocking of the Shimano pisses me off, but it works well otherwise. Not going to pay $110+ for a White Industries.
>>
>>1834170
do you mean saddle clamps? there's different types of single bolt clamps. some of them only let you adjust the forward-backward position, and those shit.
>>
>>1834172
I hear the ones from BOX are nice, but they're pretty up there too at about $90. White Industries is dope as fuck though, I'd rather support them.
>>
>>1834173
What single-bolt saddle clamps don't let you adjust angle?
>>
>>1834175
I've encountered some OEM saddle clamps which were integrated into the seat post and only let you adjust the forward and backward position.
>>
>>1834172
I know it doesn't look as good but i'm a fan of SS setups on cassette hubs.
Being able to adjust the chainline just by moving spacers around is so much better than having to actually mess with bearing adjustment and then re-dish the wheel.

You can get the cogs and spacers free too just from taking apart old cassettes.
>>
>>1834176
ew
>>
File: 1655242710180.jpg (428 KB, 2000x2000)
428 KB
428 KB JPG
>>1834170
Have pic and it's great. Never slips.
>>
My right legs feels more sore and gets more tired than my left leg, what does this mean?
>>
>>1834185
cancer
>>
File: Brainlet.jpg (31 KB, 700x700)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
What consequences should I expect if I keep riding my bike with a broken spoke? I'm planning on getting the wheel changed at some point anyway as spokes keep breaking on it, There a more durable type of wheel for a reasonable price or an I fucked?
>>
>>1834185
One leg longer than the other. You need different length cranks each side.
>>
Go-pro mounting... helmet or on the bars? First thought was bars or in specific the front plate of the stem but that area can quickly get crowded with accessories. Have a light and phone mount already, thinking of adding a bell, cyclocomputer and maybe some cross levers for brakes.
>>
>>1834190
Wheels that continually break spokes are more trouble than they're worth
you risk damaging it more and more but it's basically trash already and not worth fixing. Who cares.

>durable type of wheel for a reasonable price
you can get 'good' wheels used pretty cheaply but a lot of the time the hubs and or the brake track are flogged out. That's the only cheap way. Sometimes buying a complete bike just to steal the wheels is the most economical thing to do.

New it's relative. Basic shimano prebuilt wheels are probably the best but they're not that good and they're not that cheap. The most strongest thing would be a custom wheel but that depends on the skill of who built it more than the spec and you have to get lucky to have a mechanic who will do it cheaply and do good work and buying a prebuilt online is a bit of a crapshoot but you can check out like velomine or bike24 do them.
>>
>>1834199
>incredibly fat man tells us how hard it is to find a wheel that supports his massive bulk
Just don’t be fat and buy literally any prebuilt shimano wheel online that isn’t aimed at racing
>>
>>1834200
I said that though
>>
>>1834199
Not that anon, but I was looking at a pair of Vision Team 30 for my daily (found for 170 USD new). At that level or price are prebuilts good? I get the sense you meant more wheels built from wheel building parts, but it seems harder to get a feel for good options there.
>>
>>1834202
Silence fatty
>>
>>1834200
OP here, I'm within average weight for my height, the problems are that I'm tall and the bike is a cheap piece of shit.
>>
>>1834203
>At that level or price are prebuilts good?
Yeah. Though like anything you can get unlucky and get fucked on shit quality and if you try to do much research down any avenue to find examples of it you'll probably be turned off everything.
>>
File: IMG_9286 (Custom).jpg (1.67 MB, 4000x2666)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
while we're talking about wheels and fatties
This Mavic wheel is new.
I weigh 90 kgs.

When I spin up a 10%+ hill the spokes ping

what does that mean ?
I was thinking about loading this bike and doing some touring. Bad idea?
>>
>>1834214
Spoke tension too low on average or in particular spokes (more data needed)
>>
>>1834214
Also I don’t mind this bike except the cringe pastel bar tape. Kinda cool.
>>
>>1834215
just tested it (by hand)
they feel pretty ok to me but iunno

~1/4 of the pairs creak/squeek at the nipples when you pull them together
>>
>>1834221
put a drop of chain lube on each nipple.
>>
>>1834222
hmm ok i'll try
>>
>>1834222
>>1834221
well, after verifying that the tension and everything else is good
>>
File: tension meters.jpg (114 KB, 1674x553)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>1834224
need to get a tension meter
>>
>>1834225
Obviously the DT Swiss one. You're not poor, are you?
>>
File: f01.jpg (3.83 MB, 4404x3264)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB JPG
>>1834226
this one looks nicer
>>
File: PK-Lie-Truing-Stand.jpg (353 KB, 1024x1024)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
>>
File: pk lie truing stand.jpg (228 KB, 1920x1440)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
>>
File: bbk.jpg (857 KB, 3142x2116)
857 KB
857 KB JPG
Please can someone tell me which type of square taper this is?
I think it's a low profile JIS, but that's pure guesswork, and if you can identify it can you tell me which brands will be compatible with it?

It's on an old Klein TT bike.
>>
>>1834239
I wouldn't worry about it too much and go off trial and error and guess work or replace the bottom bracket.

Taper standards aren't even standard. JIS and ISO tapers both vary wildly. And cranks between them aren't standard and enlarge too.
Stated 'correct' sizes for things are often not correct and it's often ideal to go narrower if you can get away with it.

And JIS and ISO are compatible even though the install can be slightly destructive. Mismatching makes most sense with decent cartridge bbs that have long service intervals. Like I run a campy crank on a shimano bb on one bike just because the actual bb was ebay unobtanium or like $200. Works good.
>>
>>1834239
What is actually going on there though? I assume that's a dust cover? What's it like underneath?

Another thing to consider is if you have an english thread bb and want to replace an asymetric spindle with a cartridge unit, just get a 73mm bb and then you have 5mm to space either way.
>>
>>1834239
also
>Klein TT bike
awesome. Lets see it
>>
File: tt.jpg (359 KB, 1600x1200)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
>>1834240
I've read in a few places that the only safe bet for this set up is Shimano Dura-Ace (FC-7400).
>>1834241
It's a Press fit Bottom bracket assembly, two bearing cartridges are pressed into the shell with a spindle held in place by them, a bastard to remove and slightly less of a bastard to install. these old Klein's had proprietary 75mm BB shells, almost impossible to fity any other type without some serious modification to the shell, either shaving some width off or carving out a 45 degree bevel from the shell edge to accomodate a Mavic 616.

>>1834242
See picrel, it's an early to mid 1980's frameset.
>>
>>1834068
this guy's a fag
>>
>>1834248
We could tell that much from the thumbnail, but I fail to see how that's relevant to the bike.
>>
>>1834266
>his verdict
>his video
>his face and voice
it's relevant
>>
>>1834243
very nice
paint looks mint

>I've read in a few places that the only safe bet for this set up is Shimano Dura-Ace (FC-7400).
Maybe but a bunch of stuff would work. You're not going to damage the spindle experimenting with other cranks. You don't even have to press them on to have a good guess at whether they'll fit or not with a loose test fit. Don't pay ebay retard money for DA to be 'correct'.
>>
>>1834190
>What consequences should I expect if I keep riding my bike with a broken spoke?
Anyone?
>>
>>1834283
More spokes will break that's it.
>>
>>1834283
Your rims will go out of true.
And if you don't have any spokes left you will have issues cycling.
>>
>>1834285
You only really need two or three.
>>
>>1834068
tldw: walmart bike was heavy but actually not that terrible, t. asian youtube homosexual
>>
>>1834170
my current post is some unbranded aluminum single bolt post and it's fine. dealing with the notches for the tilt without moving the front/back position has a technique to it. two bolt is cool because you don't have to deal with that and also there's no notched increments to conform to. but my old bike has an odd seat tube diameter so single bolt was all I could find. I really have no complaints. and it was cheap as hell, too.
but on my other bike I have a two bolt. they are nicer to set up.
>>
>>1834203
there are some bad reviews here if you sort by lowest rating
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/vision-team-30-clincher-road-wheelset/rp-prod137637

they're very much an entry level wheelset but better than nothing if you really can't afford $400-600
>>
File: Z2 - 32 Midnight Lime.jpg (639 KB, 3300x2200)
639 KB
639 KB JPG
>>1834140
this one. pic obviously not mine.

>>1834123
>Swapping a taillight bulb is more complicated than building an entire bike from parts.
lmao. do you even realise what have u said? i can swap my bulb without little-to-no-knowledge. even the back-end of a lightbulb fixes in to the assembly by turning left or right. youre wrong here 100%. while it may be difficult to reach for bulbs (not in my car), changing them is piss easy. you dont even have to read tutorials.
>Don't buy bikes at walmart.
it was bought in a legit shop. no "walmart-tier" places.
> feel appropriately ashamed of your incompetence.
i am ashamed of myself. but im more furious at the engineers who designed that shit, instead of my dumb-ass trying to figure it out how to fix it. bikes have been around more than cars been. and somehow we still havent made a huge forward step. why does bike even have any adjusters? its not like it has to do with riders height/weight or whatever characteristics. just weld every part on to the frame and make non-adjustable deraileurs and shit. these gears WORK EXCLUSIVELY in a particular manner, wrenching gears doesnt do shit but fucks up everything.,
>>
>>1834332
I try not to let bad reviews influence me too much of the overall is overwhelming positive, and as you say it’s entry level. Can only expect so much. Other ones I was considering were Mavic Aksiums, Fulcrum Racing 6 (or their x00 OEM versions) and something from Miche- maybe it was called Relfex? There’s also Shimano but I had the impression something from a dedicated wheel brand might be better.
>>
>>1834419
maybe fulcrum racing 5 or 6
they make wheels for campagnolo too
i personally dislike mavic and miche they're too niggardly for me
>>
File: efficiency.png (72 KB, 602x482)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>1834119
probably not this one but its a good point for bikes
>>
>>1834216
you have shit taste, pink tape looks cool on this anons bike

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.