[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 23 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

>Shinkansen uses rail lines that do not cross and are not shared by other trains
>over 10 billion passengers have safely travelled on this rail network since the 50s
>In Canada passenger trains share lines with commercial rail
>people are surprised when pic related happen
Just build separate rail lines Jesus fuck, is Canada and the USA run by actual retards?
>>
no one cares, tranny.
>>
The new world was a mistake. The americas are actually fucked
>>
>>1832574
That was in 1986
>>
>>1832585
Oh…we’ve evolved?
>>
>>1832574
The people who run america are not retarded, they are EVIL. They hate the people they rule over with a passion and make immense profits off of our suffering. For any question with the structure "why is america like X?" this is the answer.
>>
>>1832574
>is Canada and the USA run by actual retards?
do you really have to ask that question and make me look like a terrorist by answering that?
>>
>>1832574
If you use Japan as an example musashino line has freight sharing tracks with passenger freight even at a daily ridership of 1,200,000/day.
>>
File: railroads.png (587 KB, 956x1121)
587 KB
587 KB PNG
>>1832988
>The people who run america are not retarded, they are EVIL
I think I've read about this before...
>>
>>1832574
>actual retards
Says the guy wanting to build new cross-country rail lines for passenger trains in the US and Canada?

Yeah, let’s pay for 10,000 miles of new rail for something that’s a money sink as is.
>>
>>1833395
>>>1832574 (OP)
>>actual retards
>Says the guy wanting to build new cross-country rail lines for passenger trains in the US and Canada?
>Yeah, let’s pay for 10,000 miles of new rail for something that’s a money sink as is.

That is exactly where Japan was after World War II, and now look at them. They are ahead because of their investment. Where are we? Just concentrating power, and the politics of retribution. Literally stupid.

Rail and mail are suppposed to not make money. Yes, you sink money into them for the betterment of your society. Kinda like heath care, but you still can bleed the patient after death.
>>
>>1833407
>They are ahead because of their investment.

They invested, and they are ahead, but they aren't ahead because they invested. Both share a common root cause- that they are just smarter than Americans. There is a pareto distribution of troublemakers and shit disturbers in any country. If you shift the bell curve over a few points, the vast majority of these people disappear. Suddenly you have 5 people who litter to every 1 who cleans up the neighborhood (instead of 50 people who litter to 1) and the decay becomes manageable.
In any demographic state, in a given aspect of life, you will live out this equilibrium.
>>
>>1833407
> Rail and mail are suppposed to not make money.
I tend to agree with this, but when there is already a cheaper private alternative dumping taxpayer money into a more expensive and less efficient hole is mind-numbingly stupid. There are very few areas in which building and maintaining a passenger rail network would ever become more financially viable than commercial air already is.

I don’t know why it’s so hard for guys on /n/ to understand this. America is not Japan. Just because it works in Japan does not mean it would do the same here. Interconnecting cities on an island that is 800 miles long and 150 miles wide is a completely different animal than doing so for a nation that is 3000 miles long and 1600 wide.
>>
>>1833521
Take it easy on them. They just like trains and have some desperate hope that they wouldn't be ruined by Americans like every other form of public transit in the USA has been. There is no reason to believe that trains in the rest of the USA would be any cleaner, comfier, or safer than the existing metro systems of the major cities. The USA has a demographic problem, not an infrastructure problem. They are already living out the reality of their demographics.
>>
>>1833658
> There is no reason to believe that trains in the rest of the USA would be any cleaner, comfier, or safer than the existing metro systems of the major cities.
The US already has a passenger rail network. A hodgepodge of lines from the 1970s, but still a network. Ticket prices can easily get into the hundreds of dollars. Were HSR to be built, it would be priced around the same as flights, which would resolve basically all 'demographic' issues.
By contrast, mass transit tickets are <$5 and have no fare enforcement.
>>
>>1832574
In Japan subsidized freight rail shares tracks with private subway-like trains with grade crossings almost everywhere.
>>
>>1833658
I agree we have a demographic problem, but for the case of HSR (or passenger rail in general) the infrastructure problem is the far greater challenge. Airlines offer cheaper and faster transit than any sort of cross country HSR project could drean of and they’re already more interconnected.

Take me in Nowhere, Nebraska for example. If for some awful reason I decided to go to LA, I have three options:
>A. Drive four hours to Denver, pay $190 for a train ticket to LA, the ride will take around 22 hours.
>B. Drive four hours to Denver, pay $160 for a plane ticket to LA, the flight will take 3.5 hours.
>C. Pay $45 to fly ~1 hour from local airport to DIA, then $160 to LAX.

For $25 more than the train ticket, the airline can have me in LA in the same time the train would be pulling out of Denver city limits. Depending on gas milage/prices it might even be cheaper to fly to Denver than drive there. HSR would only halve the time of option A and likely double the price.

I’m as much of a train autist as the next guy. When I was a kid there was nothing that made my day more than getting to wave at the crew on the local freight as it went by. That being said, as much as the idea of an American Shinkansen makes me smile, I know it’s not feasible and likely never will be. I’m sorry if I’m crushing my fellow autists dreams but that’s just the way it is.
>>
>>1833913
Nobody other than redditors is suggesting Denver - LA or a full transcontinental set.
But it's not hard to find corridors (above all, the NEC, but also some stuff out of Chicago, Florida, Texas Triangle, California major cities, Windsor - Quebec City) where full HSR would make sense, and has been positively evaluated by study after study since the 1960s, and still doesn't exist.
The political capacity to actually execute, rather than suitable locations, is the limiting factor. Even replacing 100+ year-old damaged/obsolete tunnels is at the edges of systemic capability.
>>
>>1833918
>and has been positively evaluated by study after study since the 1960s
That's because politicians in districts that stand to gain funding for those rail systems ensure that whatever accounting and studying is done, the result is always "this is needed." That's how that "official study" stuff works. Sometimes it's right and sometimes it's wildly wrong.
>>
>>1833918
>Texas Triangle,
See, the problem with Texas rail is that, other than Dallas, you're pretty much limited to walking a few blocks from the train station and heading back because mass transit in Houston, San Antonio, and Austin sucks ass.
>>
>>1833407
You can make money off rail, just not from the fare per say. Things like TOD, advertisement, leased space for shops, leased office space, etc are just some way other countries recoup their rail investments
>>
>>1833957
When you're flying to an airport, do you bring your car with you in checked luggage or as a carry-on?
>>
>>1832574
Yes they are.
>>
US and Canada are third world countries. simple as. we nuked japan into dust in 1948 and by 1980 it had rebuilt itself into a rail mecca. but in clapistan their best estimates for rail completion are like 2100.
>>1832988
this honestly
>>
>>1833957
and here's the problem with long distance rail. congrats, you arrived in [car dependent shithole]. now you step off the train and have to rent a fucking car to go literally anywhere anyway. it's garbage.

you cannot have intercity transit until you have functional intracity transit.
>>
>>1834135
That's where airports have the advantage, they're built to handle large volumes of vehicular traffic and keep the flow moving. If any future HSR system is built and it lacks good transit connections, it will need some stations with adequate room for parking, and perhaps car rentals, as well as having convenient access for pick ups and drop offs.

Debarking passengers at a singular downtown location where the first thing they will want to do it rent a car, get a taxi/uber, or get picked up by someone is pretty much asking them not to take the train because it's more of a hassle than just driving to the airport to do all that there.
>>
>>1834138
It drives me fucking insane when I land somewhere and there isn't light rail into the downtown. I just got off a flight, the last thing I want to do is rent a car and navigate traffic getting stressed and anxious and spending a zillion dollars. I'm tired of this country being such a shitty dumpster. If you don't have a rail line from your airport to your downtown your city is TRASH.
>>
>>1832591
Has another accident happened like this recently?
>>
>>1832988
I already hate americans. How can I work for your govt?
>>
>>1834138
>Debarking
>amerisharts making up words again
>>
>>1832574
>REEEE, WHY WON'T THE GOVERNMENT BUILD MORE SERVICES TO TAKE ME EVERYWHERE I WANT TO GO WITHOUT REQUIRING ANY INPUT OR EFFORT ON MY END BECAUSE I'M AN ENTITLED FAGGOT THAT THINKS THEY DESERVE LIMO SERVICE TO EVERY DESTINATION FOR LOW PRICES

Fuck off. Drive a car, faggot.
>>
>>1833407
>and now look at them.
You're talking about country where all major cities lie on a straight line.

>Rail and mail are suppposed to not make money
Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen lines recovered investments long before 1987.
>>
>>1836674
>REEEE, WHY WON'T THE GOVERNMENT BUILD MORE SERVICES TO TAKE ME EVERYWHERE I WANT TO GO WITHOUT REQUIRING ANY INPUT OR EFFORT ON MY END BECAUSE I'M AN ENTITLED FAGGOT THAT THINKS THEY DESERVE LIMO SERVICE TO EVERY DESTINATION FOR LOW PRICES
Exactly, you're a faggot who uses federal-funded interstate system without any contribution.
>>
>>1836718
>Haha cagies have to pay fuel taxes and registration fees
>Noooo you don't understand cagies don't contribute to highway funding
>>
>>1836718
>Exactly, you're a faggot who uses federal-funded interstate system without any contribution.

Nigger, what do you think my income taxes are? And property taxes, and sales taxes, and gas taxes, and tolls, and yearly registration, and and and +tip.

How is Amazon going to ship you your funko pop collection without roads, retard? BTW, cars don't do shit for damage to roads compared to 18 wheelers, you could drive cars for centuries and not do the damage 18 wheelers do in a single year.

>>1836717
>You're talking about country where all major cities lie on a straight line.

So much this. You can't do anything remotely close in the US where major cities can be hundreds of miles apart a piece and are completely non-linear. Futhermore, a big part of the Shinkansen line is from a lack of domestic airports/flights in Japan vs. the US which has shitloads of airports and pretty cheap flights from/to most major cities. Keep in mind, the Shinkansen is not a cheap train to ride, it's still $300 round trip, which will get you a plane ticket to most destinations round trip if you at least buy a while in advance.
>>
File: Japan_height09.jpg (133 KB, 880x641)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>1836800
>a big part of the Shinkansen line is from a lack of domestic airports/flights in Japan
Its almost as if that is the case BECAUSE the Shinkasen got built, outcompeting the option.
So that argument falls apart once even glanced upon.

It also shows a lack of imagination.
If you could take HSR from East to West coast and book a sleeper compartment, it would decimate the competing air traffic before really cutting into the margins. Larger distance do mean larger options.
And that is ignoring the fact once you get on rail, you will get off in the center of suburbs, cities or metropolian areas. You don't end up with needing another hour or two hours of taxi or buss to get where you want to be.
And the effect gets even more extreme if there is a good complimentary underground system, as you are now within walking distance of anything of value once you leave the sleeper cabin.

The fundamental fact is that car centrism is a bad decision. Flying still has a place in Japan, but only if you can't take the better option. Meanwhile in somewhere like Scandinavia its taking the plane and hope you can commute from the airport without wanting to kill yourself.
>>
>>1836812
>Its almost as if that is the case BECAUSE the Shinkasen got built, outcompeting the option.
So that argument falls apart once even glanced upon.

But there's also the fact that:
-as previously stated, all major Japanese cities are in a fucking line
-Japan has very limited land that would be suitable to build an airport compare to the US. The US is mostly flat outside of barely inhabited mountain areas vs. Japan where it's almost always hilly/mountainous

Different situation all around. Trains make sense there, they don't here, simple as. Taiwan is the same situation.

>You don't end up with needing another hour or two hours of taxi or buss to get where you want to be.

Good fucking luck anywhere but NYC without some additional car transport in the US. Only the very limited downtowns are walkable in most US cities and even then it's not like Japan.

>And the effect gets even more extreme if there is a good complimentary underground system, as you are now within walking distance of anything of value once you leave the sleeper cabin.

"Bro, just spend trillions on a subway for each city, too! Nevermind about water table or any of that shit, just drill straight into that gulf coast pudding ground!"

>Meanwhile in somewhere like Scandinavia its taking the plane and hope you can commute from the airport without wanting to kill yourself.

"Waaaah, car driving is so haaaaard"

You know what's easier than spending more than the GDP of the US on stupid railway systems that will become designated hobo shitting areas? You stop being a bitch and just learning to fucking drive.
>>
File: Japan_height05.jpg (146 KB, 956x451)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>1836818
>-as previously stated, all major Japanese cities are in a fucking line
Look at a fucking map, they are not.
What happened was that the small urban centers that ended up getting the infrastructure ended up outcompeting the rest of the country to such a degree you get the silliness like the Tokyo area.
Japanese metropolians is a extreme survivorship bias, just like modern city placements.

>Good fucking luck anywhere but NYC without some additional car transport in the US
That IS the point. The fact you miss that its the point, its just atrocious.
>>
>>1836818
>Japan has very limited land that would be suitable to build an airport compare to the US
Japan can and does use land reclamation, taking advantage of the fact that its major cities are generally on the ocean. As a result, Japan is #6 in aircraft passenger numbers.
>Japan where it's almost always hilly/mountainous
Which would normally be an argument against rail, due to the costs of tunneling/viaducts, with flatness being an argument for.
> they don't here, simple as
Are, perchance, Washington - Boston a series of major cities on a straight line, that yet don't have HSR?
> Nevermind about water table or any of that shit
Given the variety of places, including in actual tropical/monsoon regions, that have metros, clearly a meme concern.
>that will become designated hobo shitting areas?
Intercity rail is not urban transit.
Has such happened to Acela, a highly-used train that actually currently exists in the US? No.
>>
>>1836800
>Nigger, what do you think my income taxes are? And property taxes, and sales taxes, and gas taxes, and tolls, and yearly registration, and and and +tip.
They don't even cover operational expenditures.

>How is Amazon going to ship you your funko pop collection without roads
> Interstates = all roads
ok retard

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.