[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 55 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 1652597217597.jpg (172 KB, 680x1136)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
what's up with r/fuckcars?
why are they cool all of a sudden?

fucking redditors taking all the credit as always
>>
>>1823715
I just take posts directly from /r/fuckcars and post them here all the time, makes the cavies seethe
>>
>>1823715
For real though of course fuckcars is actually doing the work and pushing the agenda forward, nothing can get done in 4chan because the cagetrolls can just hijack the discussion to propose their own retarded views on the issue. Jannies are disappointingly slow to respond to reports and let obvious cagetroll threads stay up for days so yeah, we can’t really get anything done here. But I’ll stick around because their seethe is palpable.
>>
I thought you guys were just memeing but then I learned my brother's zoomer child is now parroting this stuff. This could go two ways. On the one hand maybe it's truly a generational shift and we'll see better transport and shit. More likely though, it's a fad, there will be a backlash, and cager culture will emerge stronger than ever. Because everyone cringes at what they were like when they were that age and 95% of the stuff I'm seeing online now seems to be regurgitated shitposts made by literal children.

t. been #carfree since way before it was cool
>>
>>1823715
it's alright /n/, we've been pushing this agenda for years, a decade even, however realize they're not like us. We push an alternative for the car because we love tra/n/sportation, they push their agenda because they hate cars. Besides,
>"When you do everything right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
and on that note, our subversion has been successful.
>>
>>1823809
It's a nothingburger.

Cities will continue to slowly grow but suburbs will, too. There won't be any massive shift towards cities any time soon. The population pyramid doesn't really favor city growth, and COVID eviscerated the movement of suburban youth to the city.

I think millennials will be more willing to fund things like Amtrak as they get older than were Gen X and Boomers, but even that feels sort of wishy-washy. People change a lot when they have kids and move out to detached housing.
>>
>>1823809
nah people that actually work are still too dependant on cars
liberal art majors scream loud but have no real influence
>>
>>1823809
Cagies still have their progeny, I know people around my age that will die before they give up their god-given right to drive their beat up sedan they had when they left college.
I think the reins of power in any city will continue to only be given to the cagie-aligned, even if we outnumbered them 99 to 1. The way things are is that way the system was built to perpetuate, blah blah blah.
We won't see results until the car-dependent system is weakened significantly
>>
>>1825475
>even if we outnumbered them 99 to 1
This is completely delusional, the reason power caters to cagers is that for 99 out of 100 people the car is the only practical choice. Yes even in cities with "good" mass transit. Why would a politician alienate the entire voting population just to cater to a few terminally online zoomers and the 16 yuppie families who happen to be within walking distance of their everyday stuff?

The reason anti-car people will never succeed is they can't actually put themselves in the shoes of normal people. They GENUINELY believe that people who drive everywhere don't know any better.
>>
>>1823833
I can agree with that. It's to justify infrastructure spending without really realizing why it's cool or why it's important to have these things especially in North America. I would not get rid of cars myself, just have less of them.
>>
>>1823809
>>1823846
I think it's a generational shift and because there is actual funding for these projects and some willpower to make it happen it will exist. I mean already you have Brightline in Florida, and LA to Las Vegas. Then you have Amtrak building more rail, and also you are seeing California putting a shit ton of money into Rail with an oversight committee now especially HSR from SF to Central Valley(which is a growing part of California), to now, and also has another project for the 2028 olympics for Rail to be built in time for that. Also the Northeast is basically having a monumental renovation and will eventually have rail happening. These changes might be small but it's like all things in America, when Americans try something they begin to realize it's not so bad and there is positives with Mass Transit especially alternatives to cars.
>>
>>1825492
>car is the only practical choice
Not entirely. That is subjective but it's because the options are not the best for them really.
>>
>>1825503
It's not subjective idiot. If the options are a 240 minute bus ride each way or a 20 minute drive, OBJECTIVELY there is only one correct way to get there. Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>1823833
>We push an alternative for the car because we love tra/n/sportation, they push their agenda because they hate cars
I'm willing to bet that the demographics of /n/ has changed enough that most people here are here because of the latter, not the former reason.
>>
>>1825492
>>1825704
This.
The only real alternative is people being offered safe, minimally comfortable, reasonally priced and most of all FAST means of public transportation.
People have 0 incentives to stop using their cars. In my cunt, depending on the car, you could commute with your car and it would be cheaper than taking the bus, which also takes 20 minutes to arrive at the stop, then another 35 to arrive at your destination, not to mention there's no comfort, you go standing up near some disgusting smelly nigger who doesn't know deodorant exists.
Yeah, for sure I'll sell my car and take the bus.
>>
>>1825704
>If
That's a subjective statement based on made up hypotheticals.
>>
File: asd.png (23 KB, 583x302)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>1823968
Never mind this post, just dropping a definition of the liberal arts, which have little to do with "liberalism" and only partially with "art".
>>
>>1823809
Cars need to be established in the narrative as boomer vanity items. That combined with the environmental impact will kill them off.
>>
>>1823715
/r/fuckcars is just /r/atheism but for urban planning gripes. It's even infecting local subs. Two local communities I spend some time in have been getting filled with niggas posting gripes about the regional transportation network and they'll end their post with "/r/fuckcars". It's genuinely annoying and doesn't fix anything.
>>
>>1825492
Even in Europe, 60-70% of daily commutes are by personal car. They're just Amerilard tourists who stay downtown for 2 weeks, use the (admittedly better) transit, and are wowed by how nice a country with few black people can be.
>>
I actually don't have a car because I don't see the point of having so much machinery to maintain when working and consuming locally is better anyway. I know better than to think that people doing X amount of human activity will ever cost the environment or whatever less than X amount so I don't care if people drive. These people probably have cars despite complaining about them and probably didnt even start complaining about them until they saw other people doing it too. Either start destroying cars or shut the fuck up about them. Nobody cares about your mistaken wokeness and shit.
>>
>>1825772
If it does not fix anything why is there things being done about it now for "underserved" communities in terms of transportation? Because it spreads awareness there is a lack of alternatives to car and more people are taking notice.
>>
>>1825809
>Even in Europe, 60-70% of daily commutes are by personal car.
[Citation needed]
>>
>>1825809
>few black people
cries in French
>>
like all reddit discussions on American cities, they never acknowledge the root cause of the problem. you'd think the lights were turned off.
>>
>>1826013
The root cause of most problems in America is that it's filled with fucking Americans - the most uncultured, self-centered, entitled, rude, individualistic and impolite people on the face of the earth.
>>
>>1823809
the pending energy and economic collapse might push a few people on to cargo E bikes
>>
>>1826034
>>1826013
The American way is to throw money at consultants who manipulate semantics instead of solving the problem. I don't know what's going to happen when Americans are going to get poorer for the foreseeable future.
>>
File: girls laughing.png (394 KB, 446x400)
394 KB
394 KB PNG
>>1825745
>the environmental impact
>>
What is a cager?
>>
>>1827894
road rager in a car (metal cage)
>>
r/fuckcars wants you to live in a KlausCo pod and eat bugs.
>>
Is that subreddit about dragoning?
>>
>>1823715
Same reason antiwork became popular. Terminally online losers who are bitter and it make seem like more people agree, because they're always posting.
>>
>>1825745
>the environmental impact
Literally nobody gives a shit about this lmao
I keep seeing leftoids bring this up like it's the big GOTCHA for switching to bikes, trains, and mixed use density, when in reality it's the absolute weakest point to be advocating for these things.

Betting on some snail's pace "climate disaster" that you can now endlessly blame every bad weather event on is fucking retarded and misses the actual point for why car-centric infrastructure physically sucks in every single way.
>>
>>1827909
But it's that not the same thing you do in a car all throughout the day?
>>
>>1827970
I can agree with this. The real issue is congestion and also the fact that it helps provide alternative modes for transportation than relying on something that can not make it's money back and it keeps having to have more taxes go to it including endless maintenance.
>>
>>1828028
I don’t own a car I have a motorcycle and use public transportation
I’m an amerimutt btw
>>
>>1828030
This, is the real issue of cars. Endless traffic, low tax revenue parking space land, and maintenance money pit (both the car itself AND the road infrastructure)
>>
>>1826027
I think the reason many modern Americans are so individualistic and selfish is because of the idea that the nuclear family and suburban living was the ideal family model. It was not. Thanks for creating the worst kind of people, America, and I'm saying this as an American.
>>
File: ruggedindividualist.png (1.34 MB, 1382x1170)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB PNG
>>1828194
What americans refer to as "individualism" is just sociopathy. They're not individualistic at all. In fact individualism is treated as the greatest threat imaginable to the american way of life. Absolute lockstep conformity or you deserve extreme violence inflicted on you. It's the same with "freedom". It doesn't mean what they pretend it means.
>>
>>1828194
There are simply too many Americans. Native fertility collapsed below replacement in 70s, and all growth since has been immigrants and their descendants in a vain attempt to prop up pensions.

The US was just right for 200-250 million. Not 330ish + 10mil (conservatively) illegal aliens.
>>
>>1825492
It's an exaggeration.
And like I said, we won't stop car commuting until it's close to impossible, which is not any time soon.
>>
>>1828278
It can all be traced back to the mythicism of Davy Crocket and the early romanticization of the frontier Yeoman farmer.
Unironically if Hamilton and the Federalists won out over the wholesome chungus Democrat-Republicans, America would be a much more urban country compared to how it is currently.
>>
>>1825492
People who drive everywhere do so because they don’t have a better choice. Almost all people ARE NOT car people, bike people, or transit people. They just do whatever's fast, easy, comfortable, and safe. In fact, most people driving to work and errands HATE driving, because they have to do it. That’s why people are constantly raging in their cages.
That’s why the majority New Yorkers take the subway, but hate the NYC metro. It’s the fastest way to cover distance in the city (too many people for cars). Then they’ll walk or bike if the destination is close enough (that way they don’t have to use the subway). The subway might actually be decent, too, if the decision making politicians actually lived in New York and have to use it.
In the Netherlands in general, 40% of the population commutes by bike. Why? Their commute is less than 3 miles, and the bike infrastructure is there so they feel safe doing it. It’s easier than dealing with traffic, finding parking, and paying for gas or waiting for an EV to charge (cheaper, too). So that’s what they do.
There’s benefits to having urban design discouraging cars. People will actually move (making them healthier and reducing public healthcare cost), the burden on the roads eases (making them last longer and cheaper to maintain), and noise reduction is good for physical and mental health (just like exercise), and you have less car accidents killing people (the rate of car accidents have only been increasing over time). To get these benefits, you just design the city to favor non-car commutes. People will just do the best option.
What about rural settings? You’re not enough of the population to actually extend design efforts towards. You’ll just have the same roads as now, since they’re easy to lay down. Maybe an extra “mixed use” path running along the main highway for people “getting out of the city” for a Sunday run or bike ride.
>>
>>1828462
I think you've forgot one of the biggest benefits to reducing cars in denser areas, it makes things look a lot better.
>>
>>1823715
>leftists
>cool
>>
Howdy folx,
I'm here to answer questions about one of my fave subreddits. Yes, perhaps you've heard of it: /r/fuckcars.
But don't fret friend, it's not quite as brash as the url would suggest. Let's start unpacking things a--ACK
>>
>>1825730
always pisses me off when people shit on liberal arts. everybody should need a liberal arts education (preferably high schools should get better at it but if not then community college or online classes also work) to become a voting member of society so they dont just run with whatever bullshit they hear on the news without examining it first.
>>
>you WILL lease a Tesla to drive you to work for $500 a month
>you WILL pay $20,000 for a new battery when it breaks down after 6 months
>capitalism is hecking awesome
>>
This is like faggot commie seething when corporations put up rainbow logos. Sorry ur super sekrit club isn't exclusive any more, guess you cared more about being cool than actually achieving anything.
>>
File: soyboy414.png (239 KB, 600x848)
239 KB
239 KB PNG
>>1831689
>capitalism
It's called communism, faggot.
>>
File: 960x0 (1).jpg (33 KB, 710x404)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>1823809
you forget the fact that zoomers keep getting poorer and cars keeps getting more expensive and last shorter periods. I think a lot of the post WW2 boomer paradigm is getting undone at all levels. On top of that gas prices are crazy and are not going to go down. People are buying a lot of ebikes and shit like that.

https://www.digitalcommerce360.com/2022/04/05/how-an-online-electric-scooter-retailer-boosted-2021-sales-50/
>>
>>1825715
Well said.
Things people care about when weighing transit options: speed, safety, ease of use, cost

Things people do not give a shit about: Literally anything else.
>>
>>1831704
lmao @ face nappies living in rightoids heads so much that they feel the need to make memes about them, meanwhile outside of mummy's boyfriend's basement, nobody actually gives a toss any more.
>>
File: 1636703112114.gif (1.36 MB, 619x672)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB GIF
>>1831754
Enjoy your fourth shot in winter, commie faggot. You probably will.
>>
>>1825492
>that for 99 out of 100 people the car is the only practical choice.
t. Amerilard
>>
>>1831808
Good point. Tokyo, Singapore, Taipei, and a handful of cities in northern europe contain the entire rest of the human race outside the USA
>>
>>1826010
most black people in france aren't niggers tho
>>
>>1828478
based, fucking parking lots everywhere is an eyesore
>>
>>1826010
honestly despite the nogs France's PTS is pretty nice, lived there for several years in and out of Paris.
i don't understand their obsession with high speed rail and subsequent nuking of regional trains but other than that it's pretty neat.
>>
>>1823846
It isn't building up, but destroying American cities that has the capacity to bring walkable urbanism to America. Once the long-distance car commute infrastructure and urban zoning laws have been made manifest in huge parking lots and interchanges, there isn't any room left for walkable urbanism to exist there.

Are you going to spend an hour walking across the Walmart parking lot, to the Target parking lot, to the Staples parking lot, and then eventually arrive at the local butcher shop to buy meat? Cross the Cabella's parking lot, hitchhike across the unwalkable interchange, and then get off at a mini mall to buy vegetables at a greengrocer?
No, you aren't. That's all retarded.
Walkable urbanism is something that needs to be built from the ground up in places that don't currently have amerifat car spacewasting principles in place.
>>
>>1823846
>COVID killed suburban youth to the city
I've seen the exact opposite, people I knew who were happy to be in the suburbs or rural areas suddenly are looking to move into a city because there's fuck all to do and they want their social life back. Everyone is sick of being inside and watching Netflix after doing it for 3 years now, and there's nothing to do in suburbs other than drive somewhere, and then come back home and zone out to Netflix.
>>
>>1823736
>nooo, gotta heckin banerino all of the people I disagree with like tranny Red dit

If you can't handle dissent, your argument sucks.

Bikes don't even belong on /n/, they should be over on /toy/ with other shit you should've stopped owning when you turned 11 1/2 years old.
>>
>>1833642
>Bikes don't even belong on /n/
good job being a huge faggot retard anon
>>
>>1833642
go back to /o/
>>
>>1823715
They're not cool at all, they're delusional faggots who need to be medicated.
>>
>>1826010
laughs in country French
>>
they were never cool, they are constatly mocked as a sub full of deranged idiots stucked in their condos.
>>
>>1825704
If it takes a car 20 minutes, why would it take a bus 240 minutes? Sounds like you need to invest more in your bus system.
>>
>>1835658
>if an individual personal vehicle takes 20 minutes, why does navigating a system of colectivos circulating on a fixed route take 240 minutes
Yeah what a mystery

>Sounds like you need to invest more in your bus system.
We have nearly 6000 buses in our system and buses are usually stacked 3-4 deep at every stop with a line of passengers down the block waiting to board, throwing money at the problem isn't going to fix it
>>
>>1832034
>only 3 asian cities and northern european cities have good transit and bike infrastructure
amerilard moment, yep.
>>
>>1823833
No, I definitely push for an alternative because I fucking hate cars.
>>
>>1823715
They're delusional. Most people need their cars. Trucks are useful. Its just going to take time to change our traffic systems to accomodate more pedestrians, cyclists, cargo bikes and smaller EVs.

I'm not buying into this whole cars vs pedestrians/cyclists mentality. Its not a war.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.