[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 130 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: capsule_616x353.jpg (88 KB, 616x353)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
What are some /n/-approved video games?

I got Transport Fever 2 in a sale recently. I expected it to be an uninspired OpenTTD clone, but it's actually great. The game itself is meh, but the graphics are very nice and it really does feel like a digital model train set. It's just fun trying to build aesthetic stations, depots, sidings, junctions, etc.
>>
>>1822403
the real joy of transport fever 2 is going full autism with mods, i have 100GB of them myself

also do not play the campaign under any circumstances
>>
>>1822403
I spend unhealthy amounts of time playing Cities in Motion 2. The prague map is nice but takes a while to figure out how to avoid traffic bunching up your vehicles
>>
File: 20220321181739_1.jpg (433 KB, 2560x1440)
433 KB
433 KB JPG
>>1822403
>a digital model train set
That would be EEP if you can muster up the autism to actually get into it.

For me, nothing beats A-Train. Because it's the only game I know of that leans this heavily into the indirect urban development aspect instead of being either signals & junctions autism or almost board-game levels of abstraction.
>>
>>1822403

Workers & Resources, unironically. You need to do immense amounts of rban and transport planning
to make your command economy function effectively
>>
File: file.png (208 KB, 876x169)
208 KB
208 KB PNG
i've had sex btw and nobody can prove otherwise
>>
>>1822525
My time on Train Simulator has been the same since 2018. Steam stopped counting at 179 for whatever reason. Maybe due to me using offline mode?
>>
>>1822466
>Because it's the only game I know of that leans this heavily into the indirect urban development aspect
probably because that's a jap-exclusive concept
>>
File: level.jpg (40 KB, 1073x275)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1822525
Get on my level
>>
File: autism.jpg (112 KB, 979x663)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>1822403
If you want gameplay, get the mod in pic-rel. The guy is a turbo train autist who made this game much more complex.
>>
>>1822532
In game terms, not really though. Most other transport management games have at least a vaguely similar basic idea of making cities in the world grow based on player action, and I loved playing Industry Giant 2 as a kid in the 2000s and watching the cities grow based on fulfilling their demands and thinking it would be cool to have something that combines that with Traffic Giant. At the time I barely even knew Japan existed. And of course, A-Train is heavily steeped in Japan-specific transit and urban development policies, but interplay of transportation, economics and politics is not a foreign concept in the west, neither is transit oriented development. But no western game I played ever even really attempted to tackle this.
>>
>>1822508
Man, I need to check that shit out. Every new screenshot looks closer and closer to my old hometown.
>>
>>1822564
outside of japan it really is as simple in most cases as other games portray it - transport system supplies town, town grows
of course things change when you get down to the commuter level but from an intercity perspective that's a fine level of detail
>>
>>1822557
looks shit
his idea of added complexity is just to add the same generic variants to every vehicle
>>
>>1822557
>>1822574
What does it do?
>>
>>1822569

yeah it's pretty good. once you've built your first couple of towns to learn the mechanics of:

*industry
*public transport
*worker housing
*logistics
*construction
*agriculture
*water and sewer provision
*electricity generation & transmission
*crime & punishment
*medical needs
*tourism
*entertainment

then head on down to the workshop, and download some of the hundreds of excellent mods
>>
>>1822572
I'm not sure what exactly you are thinking is the secret Japanese knowledge here, but A-Train does not cover intercity and is specifically focused on urban and commuter rail. And games like Traffic Giant or Cities in Motion do cover a similar scale, where these concepts would matter but they just barely touch on them in comparison and mostly treat the city as a static environment that is just there to provide some As and Bs to move people between (CiM has at least some development though to its credit, but IIRC it was pretty minimal). And even if they didn't, there is still ample opportunity to come up with the idea of making a game about driving new urban developments from the point of a transport company or planner, because the idea that transportation drives both economic and urban growth and will shape a city and its surroundings (and in turn shape its transportation infrastructure of course) isn't alien here at all. Contracts for transportation projects as part of plans to spur development happen here all the time too.

All A-Train does is have a game loop focused around the idea that moving people to and from stations will make things develop around them (not a Japanese-only thing), along with certain other things like local government subsidies (not a Japanese-only thing) and zoning laws determining what kinds of buildings will develop (also not a Japanese-only thing). In many ways, these mechanics are actually pretty simple and not very complex at all. There are of course some more specifically Japanese things, like how fundamentally the Rail companies are treated in their entirety as a development company of sorts and you are expected to operate many other subsidiary businesses, but I find it weird to consider the idea of developing cities via transportation a specifically Japanese thing.
>>
>>1822574
The readme is like 10 pages long.
>>1822579
The guy redid everything number wise. At face value it only adds 'variants', but there are some pretty far reaching changes to the game. Like - you get five locomotives when you start in 1850 regardless of climate.

There is a setting in this mod that controls maximum track slope and it matters, because on hardest difficulty it makes more sense to easily lay track in 0.25% steps to control gradient than to brute force you way out. No train can handle 1000T train on 8% grade. This is the level of autism this mod forces on you.
>>
>>1822581
>but I find it weird to consider the idea of developing cities via transportation a specifically Japanese thing.
BUT PRETTY MUCH EVERY OTHER TRANSPORT GAME DOES THAT
THEY JUST DON'T HAVE THE FINE-GRAIN CONTROL A-TRAIN HAS
>>
>>1822600
I don't know how I feel about that limited slope thing. Distances in TF are so compressed that it seems like you'd just be forced to build ridiculous looping shit that wouldn't be used in similar real life situations, just because you don't have the space to do a more direct gradual slope.
>>
>>1822654
Which is exactly what I've been saying the whole time?
>>
>>1822662
This was my main problem with TF2. It seems like they should have made the maps a lot larger (and I would think they could have easily done so in 2019). Hell, most of the time my trains barely got to full speed before they reached their destination.
>>
File: 1657268814061.jpg (1.82 MB, 3440x1440)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>1822403
I use cities skylines with a trillion mods as my virtual trainset
>>
File: The Marunas.png (518 KB, 2561x2782)
518 KB
518 KB PNG
>>1822877
Post Cities Skylines maps. You can generating them by downloading CSLMapView from the workshop.
>>
How much can you expect to pay for the game and a reasonable number of mods? (Idk if the mods are free or paid or a mix)
>>
>>1823018
you're not in simland anymore, all mods are free
>>
>>1822877
Skylines would be better if they jettisoned all the stuff that made it a game and just made it into a software toy zen garden thing instead

fucking deathcare bullshit. oh you can download 500000TB of mods to fix it!!!. fuck off i just want to draw train lines and interchanges and watch buildings appear
>>
>>1823032
Death spikes stopped being a big issue for me after I stopped building huge swathes of high density residential areas and started expanding cities gradually with mostly low density zones.
Keep in mind that the scaling in this game is actually quite small; what would be the urban core of a city in real life should really only be represented in-game as a single tile at most.
However, I do believe the routing bullshit for waste and deathcare should be fixed regardless of the play style; if a player wants to build an ant's nest for bugmen then the AI should be able to handle that.
>>
>>1823032
>i just want to draw train lines and interchanges and watch buildings appear
that's unironically what a-train is for
>>
>>1823043
>However, I do believe the routing bullshit for waste and deathcare should be fixed regardless of the play style
see, that's the thing: it shouldnt be there in the first place. it's only there out of the cowardly belief that games must have structure and objectives, which is ***fucking retarded*** for open-ended management / 'make your own fun' games.

when the resulting "challenge" for the player to "overcome" as part of the "gameplay loop" is for service buildings demanded by cims to barf out endless service vehicles that snarl up traffic, i reserve the right to point at that "challenge" and call it "fucking bullshit". because it turns the 'make your own fun by building the thing' game into a 'build road networks' game.

cims demand water! laying water pipes is meaningless busywork. the water has absolutely no effect on anything other than a 'place has water supply / place has no water supply'. but city builders must have water supply because ... because they just do, so, in it goes. now go build a power plant and link it to the school by 100m of overhead cable because you have to do that in city builders, etc
>>
you can build any city you like in cities:skylines, as long as it is a dense skyscraper metropolis built off a highway interchange and fed by huge road networks
>>
File: reality_worst_game.jpg (69 KB, 750x600)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1822866
This is an universal problem of pretty much all games. If they made realistic distances, than a train would travel for a realistic duration - hours. Makes for a boring game.
For the same reason all of your open world games have shit happening every 500 feet or so.
Pic very related.
>>
>>1823058
I believe much of the game's fun does derive from its sandbox nature; I enjoy the challenge of traffic management (when paired with TMPE) while others, especially on this board, may enjoy building mass transit networks.
However, the agent-based population simulation is still at the very core of the game, so even if it is a sandbox game, it is still necessary to bear some level of realism; after all, deathcare/waste collection vehicles still have to interact with traffic on the road network.
Speaking of which, I agree that utilities have no place in the game, as it does not interact with the population simulation at all, but keeping the pylons as a scenery option wouldn't do any harm.
>>
>>1823090
fair enough. i graduated from Skylines to Transport Fever 2 because, as it turns out, my brain releases happy chemicals when setting up logistics networks anyway
>>
>>1823059
>fed by huge road networks
All cities have a huge road network; every lane, street, and avenue is part of it. There are mods for more pedestrian-friendly roads.
>>
>>1822866
>>1823085
It's tough because of the way it simultaneously acts as a virtual model train set and as a tycoon management game. You've got trains with somewhat realistic acceleration and speeds, but at the same time there's a game clock ticking a day off every few minutes so that long HSR route takes a week to arrive at its destination, and lots of other weirdness like that. The lack of flexibility kinda sucks too, it adds a game challenge but results in things like every freight train having a fixed formation and having to pull empty cars around, and having to have two sets of the same cars if you want to transfer stuff from one line to another, and so on.
I still like the game though.
>>
>>1823092
In CIM2 I make a somewhat reliable transport network that brings in good money then replace car filled roads that slow my services down with wide bus lanes only. The key is getting your service more reliable, therefore more affordable for you to run to attract more customers
>>
>>1823108
>The lack of flexibility kinda sucks too, it adds a game challenge but results in things like every freight train having a fixed formation and having to pull empty cars around, and having to have two sets of the same cars if you want to transfer stuff from one line to another, and so on.
there is literally no game i know of that actually simulates this
it's either fixed formations or magically-appearing cars
>>
>>1823085
A-Train 9 actually lets you select the time scaling yourself, from 1x to 100+. It's pretty interesting fucking around with it and seeing the tradeoffs. Really, if the tech was there to increase game speed enough, it wouldn't be that much of an issue running at 1x, but even at the highest speed setting everything still takes too long. On the other hand, it always sucks seeing trains take literal minutes just to accelerate out of a station at higher scales, making realistic metro headways completely impossible. And of course, while you can change the scaling at any time, it completely breaks all the schedules... But it's actually kinda cool switching to 1x once you have a nice city and make realistic feeling schedules for it.
>>
File: Death Stranding map.png (3.29 MB, 2560x1400)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB PNG
>>1822403
Reminder that Death Stranding is /n/
>>
I hate how almost everything forces you to a/the grid
>>
>>1823108
>You've got trains with somewhat realistic acceleration and speeds, but at the same time there's a game clock ticking a day off every few minutes so that long HSR route takes a week to arrive at its destination, and lots of other weirdness like that.

It actually takes precisely the amount of time it would realistically. The "date" speed is arbitrary and used for technological progress, accounting and servicing. You can pause this and play semi-real-time.

You still need to contend with towns being 5km apart.

If you enable experimental map types, than megalomaniac 1:5 format map will little industries and towns gives you as close to reality as it can get with TF2. I hope you have a beefy PC though, it takes hammering on such maps.

I agree on the game forcing you to run unit trains, essentially. But it is not a railroad simulator, so there is that.

>>1823128
TF2 also allows to change the flow of time and you can play with acceleration rates. Still, the mere fact that we need to compress everything to a game makes some weirdness to show up. Pretty much what you said. Regardless of anything, some suspension of disbelief is necessary for every game out there.
>>
>>1823135
grids are easily simulated and, in a game where you're the omniscient, all-powerful god-mayor-CEO, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from building shit wherever.
>>
>>1823085
Obviously, but there’s a healthy balance between making a train trip take multiple real life hours and giving the player enough space to build a switching yard and being able to get their vehicles up to speed between two major points on the map.
>>
>>1823286
"Healthy Balance" is not a absolute. A game maker has to 'balance' both gameplay, expectation of their target audience and their average hardware. TF2 played on megalomaniac maps quickly turns into a hardcore grindfest until you have a top of the line CPU. I run the game on Ryzen 9 5950x and even on this It tends to slog at places once you reach ~300 trains. Obviously most people don't have such an expensive CPU. There is a price to pay for the visual accuracy and, at the same time, pretty sophisticated simulation running in the background.

I actually agree with you for the most part - which I why I play on long maps and large maps. But I totally understand why this game is what it is out of the box. It turns out most people aren't train autists.
>>
Which /n/ game is THE most realistic? Asking for autism.
>>
>>1823302
Depends entirely on specific area/level you want to focus on. Also what genre you're thinking of. For train sims, ZUSI is probably the most realistic you're going to get overall and especially for physics and signalling. For more management sort of games, Transport Fever 2 (especially with mods) is probably the best you get on the lower levels (trains, signalling), but both Cities in Motion and A-Train handle higher level stuff (route planning and securing right of way, scheduling, long-term investments and business management including having to pay taxes) on an urban/commuter scale better while abstracting certain lower-level things.Or if you want model trainset kind of sandbox autism on a very low scale with control over lots of low-level details, EEP is probably the best (though that one is arguably not even a game anymore, but literally just a digital model trainset creation tool). There are arguments to be made in favor of OTTD, Simutrans, Openloco and others too. Hell, arguably the Japanese Train Sim (aka Railfan) and Japanese Rail Sim games have the most realistic visual depictions of routes (since they're FMV) and Densha De Go and Train Crew handle certain aspects of Japan-specific operations better than anything else I know of (not sure anything else provides a similar level of detail as Train Crew's conductor mode for example) Depends entirely on where you want the focus to be.

And this is only in regards to rail, let's not forget planes, ships and potentially other things are /n/ too. I'd argue even something like Flight of Nova would qualify as realism-focused /n/-vidya.
>>
File: rrt3.jpg (11 KB, 188x268)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1823308
>tfw still no better economic simulation
>>
>>1823450
I love RRT3, but let's not kid ourselves here. Having a rudimentary company stocks system does not an "economic simulation" make. The actual cargo supply/demand system was just a simple gradient. Factories expanded production and towns grew as long as you supplied them with the cargo they demanded, and that's about it. Not any more sophisticated than most games out there.
>>
>>1823460
>Not any more sophisticated than most games out there.
what games do it better then
>>
>>1822403
https://youtu.be/8ssEKpmUypc
Mini Metro while it may be simplistic minimalism it has tons of charm that comes with it.
>>
>>1823129
I definitely agree was definitely a blast once I got use to it.
>>
File: NIMBY-Rails.jpg (33 KB, 670x384)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Surprised no-one has mentioned this. I alternate between it and Transport Fever 2.
>>
>get urge to play cities skylines
>hate starting up a city
it hurts
>>
>>1824073
Dude literally just happened to me
>>
>>1823695
Really fucking annoying having to bridge over every road and stream in the way. The curve building tool sucks dick as well
>>
File: dick and balls city.png (20 KB, 580x464)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>1824073
>>1824075
oh boy i can't wait to build The Residential Area over *here*, The Office Area over *here*, and The Factory Area over *here*, then demolish fucking everything and start over once it actually looks like a place people would want to live. no wait all my cims are now dead, and the living are complaining about the dead-people stink. this is cool and fun, probably, for someone.
>>
>>1824152
>american urban planning
>>
>>1824073
>hate starting up the game to begin with
>>
>>1822986
Wish there was a tool like this for SimCity 4.
>>
>>1823693
mini metro is a fast resource management game, not a transport simulation
>>
I love Cities Skylines but
I hate Cities Skylines road assets. Like you should be able to create your custom roads on the fly: select width from 1 to 3 units, then lay down the lanes, tram tracks, sidewalks and bike paths. It is really stupid to be required to download hundreds of random assets from the workshop just to create an urban road with bus lanes, without parking and asymmetrical for turn lanes.
Also I dislike the path system, you can't create crossing outside intersections without mods, and bicycle infra is basically impossible to build nicely thankfully the engine treats bicyclists as super fast pedestrians so hundreds on them can just ride at 25 km/h on a 50cm sidewalk while clipping in each other without any problems
>>
>>1825419
We should just have Mass Transit Skylines instead of City Skylines. Maybe the company will make that with a focus on Bikes and Trains.
>>
>>1825419
>Like you should be able to create your custom roads on the fly: select width from 1 to 3 units
So much this. Wish I could have this level of fine control over more things.
>>
>>1825419
>bicycle infra is basically impossible to build nicely
An accurate simulation of reality.
>>
>>1825466
That's Cities In Motions, the predecessor of Cities Skylines, it didn't have much of a success though
>>
>>1825676
Wish we could try again with Cities In Motion 3.
>>
>>1822569
Are you russian?
>>
>>1826706
Worse, east German
>>
>>1824073
I've been playing on the same 50,000 pop city for 4 years now, I spend most of the time slightly tweaking the roads
>>
>>1826146
This desu. I get much joy from transforming the city into a transit oriented metropolis
>>
>>1827263
>>1826146
>>1825676
Cities in Motion 2 is so far the absolute best transit tycoon sim in existence. We need an improved version of it with more varied and flexible transit options.
>>
>>1822525
>>1822555
What I never liked about Transport Fever is the abhorrent passenger mathematics. A train carriage for some reason has a capacity of like 12 pax, and then you get so many passengers at the station you can't even carry them all. And it's even worse with trams, they have a capacity of like 6 pax, and after 15 minutes you have 300 people waiting at the stop. I'd have like a constant procession of tram cars and they'd still all be completely full. Did they never test their retarded fucking piece of shit game?
>>
>>1827284
passenger numbers are obviously fudged; if the numbers were anywhere near realistic it'd be impossible to simulate them all. regarding your second point, 'my mass transit network is overwhelmed with passengers' is the problem you have to solve. i just wish TF2 had borrowed the 'passengers on this line are coming from A, B and C and going to X, Y and Z' information overview from Skylines desu
>>
File: tf.jpg (1004 KB, 1920x974)
1004 KB
1004 KB JPG
>>1827284
dude just get the mod fixes the capacity.

also, setting map to 1:3 ratio gives you a 27km long map.
Watching the tgv take 500 passengers across it is kino af
>>
>>1826146
cim 3 is cities skylines
c:s never was a city building game, its a traffic management simulation
>>
>>1828098
that's not traffic giant, that's transport fever 2
and yes it is an ingame screen
>>
File: file.png (3.5 MB, 1920x1081)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB PNG
Happiness is a heavily-modded TF2 install
>>
File: file.png (3.65 MB, 1920x1081)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB PNG
>>
File: file.png (3.76 MB, 1733x976)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB PNG
>>
>>1829900
>heavily-modded
like what? I only have a few trains added
>>
File: Gorre&dephetid.jpg (558 KB, 1600x1110)
558 KB
558 KB JPG
>>1823460
>>1823461
I have actual crickets outside my window right now that are louder than the replies.

Also, not many games out there could let you build pic
>>
>>1822403
Cities in Motion 2 is pretty nice
>>
>>1822466
Is there an english translation out for A-Train 9 v5?
>>
>>1832527
Theres a 90% complete fan patch. Its not uploaded anywhere yet, you need to join the discord linked on the Steam forums and ask there.
>>
>>1832700
I might wait for a full release of that patch then. Don't want to spend the money on the full 5.0 DX package if it's private or not playable
>>
>>1831449
>build up the G&D again
>the hard drive gets corrupted
>all that's left are your half-corrupted screenshots
>>
>>1833408
You can also just search for A-Train v5 on archive.org
>>
>>1833459
It looks like the translation patch requires the full DX version
>>
>>1834988
Nope, it doesnt. Just the latest patch from the official site. DX just adds more trains anyways.
>>
>>1822403
>>1822405
how do i stop it from breaking and lagging my pc
>>
>>1835096
seriously is 32gb ram and a 5800x not enough?
1850>lategame and I get sub 10 fps, super slow simulation, and multiple freezes
>>
>>1831439
>like what?
Have a flick through the workshop and see what takes your fancy. There's a lot of mods that improve the gameplay, such as the zero-height bridge mod or another one that lets you build proper highways. And of course, there's a massive amount of mods that add new assets to the game.
>>
>>1835618
Retaining walls are a big help for making things look prettier
>>
>>1835632
And stations look better with proper train shed roofs
>>
File: Kingston.jfif.jpg (784 KB, 1920x1081)
784 KB
784 KB JPG
>>
File: Southwell.jfif.jpg (878 KB, 1920x1081)
878 KB
878 KB JPG
>>
>>1835081
You're right, thanks anon
>>
What's the best bus driver simulator? I want to be a European bus driver.
>>
>>1835687
Im not, it turns out they actually released a new update since the latest version of the translation patch was released and the game will crash with the latest official version and the patch. You actually have to use waybackmachine on the A-Train 9 patch site to get the old patch from 2020 to get it to work.
>>
>>1823460
It's sad that the gradient supply/demand system is still the most sophisticated economic simulation for cargo transport in a game. It even allowed for AI competition from river transport that's lacking in games today.
>>
Any map recommendations for tf2?
>>
>>1836633
ctf_2fort
>>
>>1836633
Race to the North v2.1 by TheOneWhoIs
all of TheOneWhoIs' maps, really
>>
>>
Love me Pacer and me Class 43
>>
>>
Love me Sprinter and me Class 91
>>
>>1829900
I like games with organically growing and developing cities. It's like tending to a houseplant in some ways.
>>
>>1838596
>>
File: RRHomer1.jpg (693 KB, 2560x1440)
693 KB
693 KB JPG
>>1838596
It's the main draw for me. I love seeing things develop and comparing before/after.
>>
File: RRHomer2.jpg (827 KB, 2560x1440)
827 KB
827 KB JPG
>>1838612
>>
>>1838612
>>1838615
Is that A-Train?
>>
>>1835695
how about OMSI 2?
>>
File: PTBay.jpg (663 KB, 2560x1440)
663 KB
663 KB JPG
>>1838679
Yeah, that's A-Train All Aboard Tourism
>>
File: PTBay2.jpg (645 KB, 2560x1440)
645 KB
645 KB JPG
>>
>>1838822
Nice, I'll try it out at some point. One thing I find kind of weird is how much space tracks take up, is that ever an issue?
>>
File: depot.webm (2.9 MB, 888x500)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB WEBM
>>1838988
Define "issue". One track is one tile and it looks weird aesthetically but I think it actually plays better than in A-Train 9 which isnt tile-based, letting you have more natural looking track setups, but it requires more fiddling and intuition to build. The tiles however are easy to predict once you know the basic rules. Biggest downside is really no diagonal stations. Beyond that, especially in "proper" scenario play the game heavily encourages you to be efficient with tracks and use somewhat elaborate scheduling to optimize the utility you get out of them. It's not really an elaborate interchange sim like OTTD... unless you really want it to be.

I think it's actually pretty fun to continue after beating scenarios to then try and extend the "naturally" grown train networks. There is a feeling of synergy and continuous growth, every line you build has a purpose, but you don't have the money to build everything you want to immediately so you have to plan ahead, then once you have the resources to expand the situation might have changed slightly, someone might have built an expensive highrise where you wanted to extend the line... You're basically always building the starting point for the next puzzle, and the conditions are never perfect.

Or you can go into the editor and spend hours trying to setup stupid stuff like this hellish global depot that is supposed to hold about half the trains overnight. This is about as bad as it gets if you go out of your way to make rail noodles.
>>
>>1835761
Looks like that older patch doesn't work very well, unfortunately. Time to wait for an update unless there's any other versions available
>>
>>1824152
I think the issue with city builders like this is that unless you're starting off in like, medieval times, where the town grows around a THING (a resource to extract, a factory or mine, some reason for people to accumulate there) then most of what you're going to be building are planned communities. And you only have to look at places like Milton Keynes to see how that ends up.
Are there any city builders which do something like that? Where you start around a resource, then develop infrastructure over time to make the town/city growth more natural?
>>
File: capsule_616x353.jpg (132 KB, 616x353)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>1839764
It doesn't start in medieval times but it does seem to start discernably in the 1800s
>>
>>1839764
Depends on how exactly you look at it. The old Sierra ones, Anno or something like Children of the Nile definitely have a bit more of a progressive feel because you have to build up over time and cant just get the ressources needed for higher level citizens from anywhere so you're constantly planning out new expansions needed to develop your starter area but then have to think about how to maintain those etc.

A-Train is the closest I can think of for modern settings, there (especially in the scenarios in PC Classic and Tourism) you always have to develop off of existing points of interest and according to municipal development goals. Fundamentally, transit stations are the hubs that spur development, but at the same time, a station without anything near it also doesnt generate ridership, which means no development, which means at best you can brute force development from nothing only by pumping loads of money into unprofitable businesses to try and attract more people.
>>
>>1839764
I mean ... MK isn't terrible. Like the very worst thing you could say about it is that it was a 'product of its time', but there was a master plan and thought put into achieving that plan. Wave a magic wand to transform the 60s architecture into something else and you just disappointed every single hacky 90s standup lol.

Anyway. Banished. Obviously it doesn't zoom forward into the current era, but, if you want natural architecture...
>>
>>1839863
If I'm honest, I felt bad after I posted that since I've never really been to Milton Keynes and I'm kind of going off stereotypes of it, plus the very gridlike nature.
The idea and concept of the New Towns programme was a good one, I watched the COI film they produced to explain it to people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta_n1wLARKM
It's a nice idea.
>>
File: 569r.jpg (2.66 MB, 3810x2160)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
What about flight simulators
>>
No love for ETS2?
>>1843490
DCS, my man.
>>
>>1843811
>DCS
go back to /vg/, /n/ is for civilian aircraft
>>
>>1843841
I play DCS almost exclusively for flying without combat.
>>
File: ets2_20220729_122959_00.png (2.54 MB, 1920x1080)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB PNG
>>1843811
>>
File: ets2_00018.png (2.81 MB, 1920x1080)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB PNG
>>1843869
soul
>>
File: ets2_00042.png (669 KB, 1920x1080)
669 KB
669 KB PNG
>>1843891
old ETS2 hit different
>>
After the announcement of Train Sim World 3 I have no desire to play any of their train sims. I hope this garbage company implodes in on itself.
>>
>>1844696
Oh wow, a new TSW, I did not know that. Thing is, TSW (and its pseudo-sequels) look real pretty, but they're superficial as fuck. Especially once you've touched Zusi 3.
>>
File: JRS.png (1.97 MB, 1213x684)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB PNG
>>1822403
Japanese Rail Sim: Journey to Kyoto.

They basically took a camera and recorded the whole route of the Eizan railway in Kyoto and basically you control the train speed and it changes the video playback speed. Unironically a really fun game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1761290/Japanese_Rail_Sim_Journey_to_Kyoto/
>>
>>1844920
>Zusi
unfortunately i am not german
>>
File: 379a0hcm2cg91.jpg (583 KB, 1920x1080)
583 KB
583 KB JPG
Can you play sandbox on transport fever? How much can you detail the area compared to CS? Aiming for something like pic related
>>
>>1845217
>Can you play sandbox on transport fever?
Yes.
>How much can you detail the area compared to CS?
Quite a lot.
>>
File: tf2.jpg (802 KB, 1920x1080)
802 KB
802 KB JPG
>>1845217
2/3rd of the player base are "virtual model railroad" guys. Mostly from germany. About 90% of available mods are for detailing.
Pic rel - some random screenshot off steam showing the game used as such.
>>
i mean it's definitely possible for normal people to play as well, calibrating 'normal' as being 'people who enjoy setting up logistics supply chains and watching the ant farm do its thing'
>>
>tfw no mail simulator where the player's task is to set up post offices, sorting facilities, and transport routes for a growing country over a timespan of decades
>>
Best game abour sailboat driving?
>>
>>1845719
sailwind
its the only sailing game, hope you like shit graphics and delivering boxes. Its an ok game.
>>
>>1846041
Looks good though I was asking because of my boomer dad and doubt he will enjoy such kind of game
>>
>>1846233
Naval Action is still simplified, but probably the best bet if you enjoy square-riggers. There's also a couple smaller fore-and-aft rigged privateer types as well.
>>
>>1845280
I would play the fuck out of that
>>
>>1846041
kek, thats literally a developed version of a roblox game
>>
>>1845280
cities skylines has the first half of that
>>
Ongakuan actually releasing their stuff on Steam now!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2111630/JR_EAST_Train_Simulator/
>>
>>1845280

simutrans has post. you can set up postboxes and post offices and run post trains (and ships and planes and lorries and vans)

in addition to the passenger and cargo transport, of course
>>
Are there any good train dispatching sims?
>>
>>1846830
I only know of some train sims that also have dispatcher mechanics like Run8 and I think maybe Zusi. Next closest thing is RailRoute and its fun but more of a puzzle game than a sim.
>>
>>1846830
There are quite a few out there, but I don't know how good any of them are.
>>
Mini Motorways is pretty fun.
>>
File: maximum tism.png (1.66 MB, 1660x1076)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB PNG
x-keys makes some cool shit.
>>
>>1847034
>does not work with every train in Train Simulator

Is it at least good for Open Rails?
>>
>>1849957
from what i've gathered, yes, but like everything else in openrails, it's jank as shit
>>
>>1846830
simsig i suppose
>>
>>1822403
Run8
/thread
>>
>>1850816
sorry, i'm not interested in american freight railroading
>>
File: Railway_Empire.jpg (31 KB, 271x377)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
I know it ain't a sim, but what's /n/ onion on Railway Empire?
>>
>>1851415
bad
>>
>>1851424
Oh...
What's something good?
>>
The most /n/ game I can think of
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1536610/OpenTTD/
>>
>>1822580
>>1822508
Just bought this game. Holy flying fuck. No tutorial, absolute full control of individual water, power, sewage, and heat management, have to manually purchase every vehicle for industry, public services, and transit. Handle all the logistics for your raw, intermediate, and final industrial products...
The developers didn't make this game so you could have fun. They made this so you appreciate why people work full time to plan infrastructure.
>>
>>1855458
Nah, the developers made the game purely as a vehicle to allow you to enjoy the absolute banger of a soundtrack
>>
File: railgrade.jpg (182 KB, 1280x720)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
what's /n/ thoughts on Railgrade?
>>
what does /n/ think of Loco mania?, it’s a puzzle themed train dispatching game
>>
File: OpenTTD.png (1.69 MB, 1905x997)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB PNG
>>1855418
>>
>>1858557
Reminds me of 3D Ultra Lionel TrainTown--by Sierra, and including Sierra's awesome generic MIDI soundtrack.
>>
>ctrl f "truck"; 0 results
so it seems im not the only one literally snoozing off in that game
it's half entertaining desu
esp. when i have to weave through traffic
>>
>>1858653
No one ever "has" to weave through traffic
>>
>>1858666
ats is better than ets exclusively because the trucks throttle isn't governed
and wym im always utilizing the free 3rd lane to pass cars
sometimes the road is close enough and i can ping pong to the left and back
how the fuck are you playing this game if you're not doing something illegal? absolute state of civilians
>>
>>1858679
isn't governed by default, i should add
>>
>>1827284
>waaah waaah my public transit network is clogged this isn't my fault reeeee
>>
I wish city builders/related didn't fucking rely on meta or grid system
>>
>>1859096
Meta?
>>
>>1858679
>how the fuck are you playing this game if you're not doing something illegal?
The /n/ way. The way someone who's interested in simulating transportation and travel would play. The comfy way. As opposed to simulating being a psychotic bastard. I can get the latter from most every other game in existence, thank you very much.
>>
>>1827284
>Did they never test their retarded fucking piece of shit game?
it's taken them three tries to make a game that isn't completely broken to the point where they need to bin it and start again after a half-hearted couple of patches, even then I expect TF2 is fucked in some deep seated way that will lead to yet another imminent sequel announcement and game abandonment
tl;dr: no
>>
>>1860116
they're literally still working on TF2 updates, dummy
>>
>>1860197
didn't say they weren't
>>
>>1860084
>interested in simulating travel
true, it is enjoyable in that aspect
but it's just driving on a road
so while i always appreciate the environment when it changes, im ultimately reminded again that the map is only a road and so thats where the rage feedback-loop begins
but for me this game's more of an outlet t.cali
>>
>>1860325
>but it's just driving on a road
Have you tried the added challenge of actually needing to navigate? I turn off the hud and dashboard gps and purposefully avoid looking at the map menu as mush as possible, and navigate primarily by road signs and memory. That adds an extra dimension to the game play. I wish I could turn off the map locator and use the in game map as if it were a paper map.

Turning off the hud mirrors forces me to turn my head in game to check my mirrors. Making a delivery on time, safely, without speeding or breaking any other traffic rules and without a scratch is what I call success in that game. I bet you can't do it.
>>
>>1860342
>bet you wont play like how i like to play >:)
wtf ew
and im not only repulsed at the suggestion to replay your life, but also of the method itself
as if it takes a degree of skill to accomplish such
bruh ur just roleplaying as a shitty gps lmao
>>
File: ets2_20221019_202126_00.png (2.26 MB, 1920x1080)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB PNG
>>
File: 1641226516562.png (2.41 MB, 1920x1080)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB PNG
>>
File: ets2_20221019_212549_00.png (2.83 MB, 1920x1080)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB PNG
>>
>>1860079
Abusing the game mechanics to make it run more efficiently
>>
>>1861036
I mean there's not much stopping you, the omnipotent omnipresent God-mayor, from ultimately doing whatever the fuck you want, leaving your Sims in some kind of hellish I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream existence. Some people will optimise and streamline all the fun and enjoyment out of anything, but, fuck 'em
>>
>>1822508
You had me curious. Bought last night. No idea what's going on. The coal refinery burned down. Loving it. 100% my kind of game. Coming off the heels of transport Fever 2 and NIMBY Rail rn and this is definitely what I needed.
>>
>>1858630
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wziFN6dlE5Y
>>
>>1860545
>>1860549
>>1860575
I gave up on ETS2 years ago and moved to ATS. I'm a Brit and the UK is fucking terrible in ETS2, add to that the overall inconsistency in quality as you drive around Europe and the experience is not great.
>>
File: 20221028220146_1.jpg (544 KB, 1920x1080)
544 KB
544 KB JPG
Halloween treats on the way.
>>
File: 20221029230508_1.jpg (376 KB, 1920x1080)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
The road from Oslo to Bergen is pretty epic.
>>
File: ats_20220929_214503_00.png (1.49 MB, 1600x900)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB PNG
>>1862981
Same but my reason was boredom after over 1000 hours of ETS2, also fear that any game update could break my delicate assortment of mods.
>>
>>1862981
>>1863405
I'm waiting on the ability to do a haul from Los Angeles to New York before I feel like investing any more time and money into ATS. Also wondering if they're going to do Alaska.
>>
>>1822403
Transport Fever goes hard. Lately there's been some guy uploading old American interurbans to the workshop which definitely makes my train autism happy.
>>
Flight Sim with Air Hauler 2 mod
It lets you haul cargo or passengers from airport to airport. You can set it up however you like - from doing Boeing 737 commercial runs across the States or do some Bush Plane Cargo runs in Argentina
You also own a airline company and can buy/lease planes, hire AI pilots, buy and sell materials
It's like ETS2 except with planes
It's pretty kino
>>
>>1862883
>NIMBY Rails
I liked this game for a while but it ends up becoming tedious and the Yuro who designed it clearly doesn't know much about rail operations, the signalling alone is too annoying, not to mention how it can't just automatically add bridges over roads and water.
>>
>>1863407
Well you'll be waiting for a long time then mate. With Texas coming out next month the map is already going to be massive.
>>
>>1863569
>Well you'll be waiting for a long time then mate.
Yeah, I know. It's far from certain I'll ever get to see that.
>>
File: 1662261544931.jpg (120 KB, 1000x670)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>1862981
i hate ats because they picked the worst side of the us
literally have to drive through the rocky mountains on EVERY single fucking trip? suck a massive cock
why not make the east-beautiful-coast???
what was the thought process? like seriously
i live in cali for over a dozen years and i hate having to drive up and down the cali valley on every trip
what a load of crap
though, the only reason i started to play was because of wanting to see how they created my home town:sacramento
to be fair, they did a good job at replicating it's soul-sucking experience so i cant complain
>>
>>1865549
>literally have to drive through the rocky mountains on EVERY single fucking trip?
Rockies aren't even present in the base game.
>>
>>1865549
Isn't the east just endless motorways? Texas is out on the 15th btw
>>
Is there any game better than Transport Fever for modeling railway lines?
>>
Anyone else feels like Transport Fever 2 is kind of... worse? Or at least not enough of an improvement over TF1 to be its own game?
>>
>>1867664
not having played the first, i'm happy to sit back and watch my trains whizz around while my brain is steadily releasing dopamine
>>
>>1867667
>he actually plays transport fever 2 and doesn't just download hundreds of mods while never actually playing the game
pathetic
>>
File: Texas_Road_map_big.jpg (1.85 MB, 3380x3380)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
ATS Texas is out in 10 mins
>>
>>1868745
how does the dlc work? what happens if i buy texas without buying new mexico?
>>
>>1868757
That's a good question, I have no idea.
>>
>>1868757
>>1868776
I posted that you have to fast travel to get out of Texas. But then I realised that fast-travelling requires that you visit a town once first, which of course you can't do because all the roads out of Texas are blocked.
So depending on your chosen starting location you're either stuck in Texas or you won't access the DLC content with that driver.
>>
>>1868780
I came to the same conclusion unless there's something at the connecting roads that teleports you to the other state, I'm not sure.
>>
>>1868782
>something at the connecting roads that teleports you to the other state
Don't see why there would be. There isn't in ETS2.
>>
it's a long shot but mtg is dead, can't remember where ithacqua worked, does anyone have a link to his obit?
>>
>>1869438
he was at the national review
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/alex-batey-rip/
>>
File: Ithaqua.jpg (274 KB, 600x415)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
>>1869438
I actually miss him
>>
>>1851415
>Railway Empire
just tried this as my first /n/ game because piratable on Linux. then sat through some gay narration and story and tutorial where I got stuck "building a parallel track", then quit. Then came back when I was bored and found out that stuff wasn't skippable. trash
>>
>enjoy OpenTTD autism
>hate that rail depots exist
I hate that I can't have 10 trains in a rail yard going off of schedules or whatever, instead they all shove into a depot the side of my fist, reeeee.
>>
>>1868745
what happens if you just spam sleep after getting like 2-3 drivers and no debt?
is that literally just free money
>>
>>1874241
Yup. And when it won't let you sleep any more because being too well rested, you can just fast-travel back and forth between two distant cities on the map. With enough employees you make money faster than you can spend it.
>>
>>1873876
I can't think of a single transport simulation game that actually incorporates functioning marshalling yards as part of the base gameplay. Feels sad man.
>>
>>1876549
You can imagine it happening in the future, in the old days there's no way a PC could keep that going on a large enough rail system. The question is do rail sim fans want something that niche, and to what degree of complexity should it be? I think some do, but the question of how realistic should it be is hard to pin down. Without having worked in a rail yard irl and knowing how they run, programming it seems like a tall order. But I'd like to see it--only if they get it right though. A shitty yard sim routine would kill a game.
>>
>>1876549
Train Sim World 2 has Cumberland yard, MD, with several scripted missions where you undertake switching operations.
>>
>>1876549
I mean't just yards, not necessarily marshalling yards, as it would mean you have to have a way to either store trains on your yards or have all trains out of the yard.
Marshalling itself could be a sim, name it yard master or some shit, where you control personnel from an overview or something. with the option to drive the trains.

>>1876552
you can't really put it into full scale sim games, however you can just make it its own thing
If it doesn't exist (excluding scripted things like this anon >>1876613 ) then whoever makes it could make some dosh, and kick start yard related shit into mainstream rail sims.
>>
File: 20221223004333_2.jpg (312 KB, 1920x1080)
312 KB
312 KB JPG
>>
>>1822508
I got filtered by the tutorial, there was too much to long.

>>1822403
I have this game, love it.

>>1822986
This is fucking cool, I want to see the map to my city.
>>
https://youtu.be/WZ5ogOrT6bI
https://youtu.be/G2jOtkyH6-0

Citystate I & II
>>
densha de go final fan translation just dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivCuasauGrI
>>
File: 20220812165424_1.jpg (388 KB, 1920x1080)
388 KB
388 KB JPG
>>
>>1845202
Well it says kino right at the top there
>>
I never realized how badly I wanted a game like Workers and Resources until it became available
>>
File: file.png (15 KB, 408x130)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>1878858
I really, really, really want to own and play the game

buuuuuuuut, 'Early Access' for coming up on four years?
>>
>>1865673
>>1865549
East coast would make fun challenge maps. I just want to virtually Storrow myself.
>>
File: wr.jpg (693 KB, 1815x916)
693 KB
693 KB JPG
>>1878926
I don't have the same holdup with early access games because I have no problem funding the games that take risks to be unique. This is the most unique city building & supply chain management game I've ever played and they're still adding features like multiple types of garbage/waste
>>
>>1835695
Snakey bus
>>
What I would like is something similar to cities skylines, but all the trains and individual rail cars aswell as road vehicles are all tracked and don't just spawn and despawn at destinations like they do in CS.
>>
>>1879131
Skylines
>grow cities by building city infrastructure (power, water, education, emergency services etc)
>abstracts away transport logistics
>expects you to defeat road traffic congestion and create a skyscraper metropolis

Transport Fever 2 / OpenTTD
>grow cities by supplying them with their needs (fuel, food, building materials etc)
>abstracts away physical city planning
>expects you to build a profitable land/sea/air supply chain

Two different approaches. But, if you want to buy a train (for freight, or passenger service? locomotive-hauled, or multiple unit operation? is it powerful enough for the route? would a single, long train or many, smaller trains work better? is it likely to conflict with any other trains along the way? do the stations need any work to receive the freight or passengers? ok great, now go set up a route and give the driver instructions, then we can watch it roll out of the depot and go to work), I'd go with the second option.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3zwILJiBL8
>>
vague idea: managing a single train station through the ages, from a country outpost. a major conglomerate opens a factory nearby so you have to cope with increasing freight and passenger needs - managing a rolling stock depot and passenger facilities, carefully designing track layouts and signalling operations, etc
>>
Is there any game that plays like a modern remake of the 90's lionel game? In some ways I think that its still one of the best train games, even if it was aimed at a younger audience.

https://abandonwaregames.net/game/3d-ultra-lionel-train-town-deluxe
>>
>>1835695
>>1838800
>>
>>1879138
vague ideas are next to worthless if you can't specify them in terns of implementable game mechanics
>>
>>1879154
no, please, don't fire me, i need this job
>>
File: mydick.jpg (147 KB, 736x832)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>1879131
In Workers and Resources, if you want to give your republic personal transportation like cars you can but you also need parking lots everywhere and the amount of traffic can realistically fuck up your traffic flow real fast.
They give you built in tools now to add stop signs or lights
>>
>>1822557
Maybe this makes me a turbotist, but I wish there was a mod where you had to get the AI to shunt and rearrange the consist along the route, instead of just spawning like magic from the infinite shed.
>>
File: image-25.png (1.04 MB, 1672x870)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
>>1873876
You can always go full autismo with NewGRFs. I've built this near my biggest city, trains aren't operational, they are "decommissioned" as i call them, i just didn't sell old trains when updated to a new ones. You still need the depot building for servicing reasons, but at least this is looks like proper train parking yard/marshalling yard/depot.
>>
File: dub edition.jpg (52 KB, 351x500)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>1822403
KINO AND SOVLFUL
>>
>>1868745
Finally, so close to the Plains expansion. Comfy Nebraska trucking soon
>>
File: first.jpg (2.55 MB, 4032x1908)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB JPG
Game is pure kino with some detailing.
>>
File: first.jpg (1.5 MB, 3440x1442)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
>>1881314
Fuck. wrong image. Meant to send pic rel
>>
File: second.jpg (1.79 MB, 3440x1442)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB JPG
>>1881315
...and one more to redeem myself.
>>
>>1881314
>>1881315
doesnt matter had sex
>>
>>1881613
i had sex once. prefer trains desu
>>
>>1822403
are there any bicycle simulators out there?
i swear theres a simulator for everything except bicycles
theres a few shitty looking mountain bike and bmx games but that seems to be it
>>
>>1881623
based
>>
>>1823129
i really want to make a game inspired by ded stranded but with better physics and none of the kojimaness
just focusing on the hiking deliveries and building a transport network over an open map
i think kojima has discovered something vdeogames were missing but its gonna take someone with a more precise vision and less pretentiousness to really capture it
>>
>>1881788
I'm too poor to buy a railway or a race car, but why would I want a bike simulator, lol
>>
File: zwift.jpg (57 KB, 999x667)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>1881788
Of course there are.
>>
>>1881788
There's one by Camshaft Softworks, though it's more a manager/spreadsheet game.
>>
>>1881884
>costs more than a bike
>>
File: file.png (714 KB, 1080x360)
714 KB
714 KB PNG
Uh
>We are thrilled to announce today the release date of the next major Transport Fever 2 game update and the new Deluxe Edition. These new versions will be released on Thursday, March 9, 2023.
>The Deluxe Edition offers new game content consisting of:
>3 exclusive handcrafted maps with scenarios across all landscape types to challenge your skills
>6 new and exclusive historical vehicles to play with:
>Hong Kong Meridian Ferry
>McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30
>British High Speed Train HST ”Inter-City 125”
>Kenworth K100E
>Citroën U55 Currus Cityrama
>Toyama Chihou Railway 8000 Series Tram
>3 surprising new animals for the three landscape types: wolf, puma and tropical fishes
>2 new in-game soundtracks from the two prequels Train Fever and Transport Fever

The fuck?
>>
>>1883789
it's a vehicle pack + music dlc
i don't see where you're confused
>>
Are there any games that allow the player to build canals, including locks and dams?
>>
>>1884003
OpenTTD has canals and locks
>>
File: 1374889664417.webm (2.58 MB, 640x480)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB WEBM
>>1884038
>OpenTTD water physics
>>
Are there any games that have anything approaching realistic scale?
>>
>>1884237
MSFS
>>
>>1884238
I meant something like OpenTTD, but with a coherent scale.
>>
File: pennstate_osm.png (289 KB, 602x439)
289 KB
289 KB PNG
>>1884237
what would be cool is an /n/ game at real scale that uses an openstreetmap style gui without any 3d models. i don't need to look at the trains any more
>>
>>1884299
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1134710/NIMBY_Rails/
>>
>>1881315
>>1881316
intresting. one of these days i will try to build something with deco like that
>>
File: 2023-01-17_19.48.10.png (2.1 MB, 1400x1050)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB PNG
>>1822403
I've found Minecraft with the Create mod pretty good, though it's more generally focused on turning block game into Factorio. You actually get a sense of just how BIG trains are.
>>
>>1884959
We play Immersive Railroading here, sir.
>>
>>1884959
Its pretty good, but it misses the kino that is Railcraft and Traincraft (Trains and Zeppelin)
>>
>>1885040
>trains aren't voxel-based
soulless
>>
>>1880049
Is there a game like this?
>>
>>1885048
i think some of the a-train games have a mechanic that allows for storing trains when out of service
>>
>>1885048
lionel traintown delux
>>
>>1823051
Which A-Train should I get and from where?
>>
>>1885065
I got TrainTown for xmas when I was 6 or something. Easily one of my favorite games growing up. Maybe I'm able to complete all of the puzzles now, lol
>>
>>1885174
I'm honestly surprized that there are no other train games that have tried to copy the play style or controls or traintown. Its easily the best train game I've ever played, as far as the controlls feel.
>>
File: 20230128192053_1.jpg (412 KB, 1920x1080)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
>>
File: 20230128192834_1.jpg (318 KB, 1920x1080)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
Balloon
>>
>>1884315
That looks like more than a tech demo than an actual game. Plus it seems to ignore elevation.
>>
>>1885994
i've not played the game, but i'd imagine it's more of a software 'what if' toy for pretending, than an actual, uh, game
>>
>>1886001
>software 'what if' toy for pretending
a.k.a game
>>
>>1886010
you know what i mean. there's software toys that act like virtual ant farms, where you just sort of do stuff, and tweak stuff, and enjoy pondering the outcome of doing that - and there's game games, with actual gameplay and objectives and challenges and 'gameplay loops' and etc.

like how the sims started out as a computer-dollhouse with gameplay attached, compared to ... fuck i dunno, your average bethesda game on 'eat food and drink water and get sleep' hard mode?
>>
File: 20230129214403_1.jpg (880 KB, 2560x1440)
880 KB
880 KB JPG
>>
File: 20230129214408_1.jpg (892 KB, 2560x1440)
892 KB
892 KB JPG
>>1886309
>>
>>1886309
>>1886310
H
>>
>>1886320
Heh, I was just thinking this.

What game is this?
>>
>>1886320
>>1886325
Transport fever 2.
Tomorrow I'll get you new pictures.
>>
Has anyone tried SimRail yet? I watched a video from Squirrel the other day about it. It's a Polish game that is aiming to create highly detailed renditions of Polish train routes. So far, there is about 500 kilometers of track, supposedly accurately rendering the real world. It looked pretty good but it's early access so I don't know if it's worth buying yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSgakkdk93c
>>
>>1886330
>yet
If you believe it will be worth buying at some point then early access is usually a good deal, and it helps the developers get the thing done.
It's a bit of a gamble investing in a project, so you weigh the risk vs. reward, and the golden rule with all gambling is to never bet more than you can afford to lose.
>>
>>1886330
Hope they'll improve the sound design.
>>
btw here's a link to torrents for most train sim classic dlc, including third party and delisted stuff:
https://cs.rin.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=948959#p948959
personally i try to support devs but if they're not selling something i don't feel wrong for pirating it
>>
>>1886330
i'd say wait a bit and see if it comes out of early access with the promised features, i think that's a good barometer of if it'll have legs
especially the editor
>>
>>1886339
>early access is usually a good deal
>“Price is not planned to change when game will leave early access.”
Never mind.
>>
File: 20230130191350_1.jpg (947 KB, 2560x1440)
947 KB
947 KB JPG
>>
File: 20230130200405_1.jpg (980 KB, 2560x1440)
980 KB
980 KB JPG
>>1886522
>>
File: 20230130203950_1.jpg (802 KB, 2560x1440)
802 KB
802 KB JPG
>>1886523
>>
I never saw the point of airports in that game: I've never generated a map large enough to make the airports and their associated routes *feel* right

maybe if they simulated neighbouring 'regions', SC4-style, or some kind of AI 'flight alliance' or something where you received a little extra money but had to maintain infrastructure to accommodate AI planes. ditto 'international trains' etc.
>>
>>1850816
Based.
>>1850968
Do you not realize that there are passenger ops in Run8 as well? You can run the Southwest Chief from Los Angeles all the way to the crew change location at Kingman, AZ.
>>
>>1886528
oh wow, i can drive a slow passenger train and get stuck behind freight
yeah i'll stick to sims that actually have fun passenger routes
>>
>>1886534
There's 110 MPH Trackage on the MoSel region, and the Chief runs 90 on a large chunk of the Needles and Seligman Subs.
>>
>>1886548
why can't run8 autists take no for an answer
>>
>>1886527
There's a workshop add-on that allowed for the construction of off-map airports that generated passengers so that you could have some sensible air routes even on the smallest maps, but it hasn't been updated for a long time and I don't think it works anymore.
>>
>>1886617
That's the problem with so many of these simulators. They appeal mainly to people who fall somewhere on the spectrum and their development is overseen by normie managers and executives, so they almost always have glaring shortcomings because those people just don't get how they're experienced
>>
>>1886621
It's partly that but it's also partly due to many of these games being created by businesses. They have a specific budget and timeframe in which to produce a game, which forces them to focus on core mechanics and assets. I'm sure there's properly tonnes of stuff they wanted to implement but just didn't have the time or money. They're not jannies after all, they don't work for free.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.