[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 21 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: gas bike.jpg (42 KB, 549x412)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Is there a way to build a completely quiet gas bike? My area banned them on public roads, so I thought of making as quiet and drives slowly to avoid attention. I need an alternative to my car due to high fuel cost. However my daily commute, 30 miles, is too far for other alternatives like biking or e-scooter.
>>
Just build an ebike, holy fucking shit.
>>
https://youtu.be/d1qhZ7jp71Y
>>
>>1816154
FPBP, add as many batteries as necessary, the bike is doing most of the work anyway
>>
>>1816154
>>1816159
Ebikes are shit because you only have ~15 miles and full throttle unassisted, with a small displacement engine its more like 100 miles. The engine will also last far longer and is far cheaper to replace than a battery.
>>
>>1816150
Probably better off just getting a moped or small motorcycle at that point anon. Maybe you can get some kind of special muffler made for the gas powered bike but you probably end up in cheap Moped territory cost wise.
>>
>>1816150
You’ll be much happier with an e-bike. I had a gas bike one was while fun, they’re really finnicky and burn oil like a mofo (by design). Gotta retorque the head bolts all the time, this one was mine before I sold it and made an ebike.
>>
>>1816198
I can probably do like 100 km on a 800 Wh battery with light cycling on my ebike. And I could replace the 800 Wh battery with a similarly-sized 1000 Wh battery. And if you're really worried about range, get two.
>>
>>1816150
no lol
>>
>>1816150
Just buy a moped or 50cc motorcycle then. They're the same shit, just built better.
>>
>>1816204
So I just bought a whole bike for a cool hundo, pic rel. I haven’t gotten around to tinkering with it yet. But uhh, how do I start it? There’s no kick or pull cord. Do I pedal it and bump start it? I can barely get it to move, but can hear the head compression
>>
File: battery.png (235 KB, 1030x888)
235 KB
235 KB PNG
>>1816150
you have the wrong idea anon. Ebikes and escoots can all go like 100 miles depending on battery size and speed. How fast is your gas bike like 20mph? I can easily find you a scooter that can do 30 miles on one charge at that speed. For bikes anything with a 1000wh battery will do that with light pedaling.
Batteries cost about $430 but they should last for at least 2-3 years. That factored by batteries lasting 300 charge cycles. Which means going from 100%-0%. So if you get a decent battery size and only us 50%/day that's 600 days of use. If you work mon-fri every single day that's 2.3 years.
The equivalent gas at 100mi//gallon would be between $330-$450/year depending on where you live.
Just do some more research
>>
>>1816198
There's 4000 watt ebikes that can go 100mph. And 40+ mile range.
>>
>>1816249
You pull the clutch out while peddling to start, give it some gas, release the clutch and keep going. If it starts then dies out quickly. Check spark plug/ignition coil is plugged in properly. If that’s good, open the back plate of the circled area (purple arrow points to the plate on back to unbolt). The clutch plate may be on too tight. It’ll look like a flower sheet opening the back panel, loosen it a quarter turn at a time until it starts moving. If you have more Q’s If the thread kill. My disc is kIf#9482. I My bike topped out at 38 mph on a straight road. New ebike tops out at 30, but gets there quicker.
>>
>>1816150
>Is there a way to build a completely quiet gas bike?
Are you retarded?
>>
File: Acp_tzero_DSC00467[1].jpg (147 KB, 640x480)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>1816150
>get an e-bike with two separate batteries
>use a towable gasoline-powered generator to charge one of the batteries while you're discharging the other battery
wa la

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_extender
>>
>>1816272
Awesome I’ll try it. Also how safe is having only a rear coaster brake? I guess there’s a kill switch, which could also act like a brake.
Also also, what do I put in it? I assume it’s a gas oil mix, like 50:1, is it regular unleaded gas and 1030? (I have never worked on engines before, which is why I got this, I want to learn, and be competent like mustie)
>>
>>1816150
ebike
>>
>>1816198
>The engine will also last far longer
lmao
the goobers who ride gasbikes here have to completely replace the engine every two years and carry a whole toolbag because shit breaks down every other day.
>>
>>1816150
Just get a moped you dope
>>
>>1816150
My EUC gets 80 miles at 20mph and it's not even a high end model.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNUb8ltroaw
>>
>>1816150
that bike looks very uncomfortable in terms of pedal/seat/grip positions
>>
>>1817440
mopeds are a bigger target where I live and they have to be registered and titled, motorized bicycles don’t have the same regulations and nothing is enforced with those

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.