[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 38 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: hsrbutpretty[1].png (412 KB, 2064x1275)
412 KB
412 KB PNG
>This will never happen
:(
>>
It won't happen because taking the plane from San Diego, CA to Portland, ME is more convenient. I don't think you understand that the USA are big and that a trip from Kodiak to Key West is simply not doable by HSR.
>>
>>1815732
It's for highspeed connections to nearby cities where the train ride is faster than the plane ride
>>
Needs a Mississippi connection and a Dixie transversal, like New Orleans to Atlanta and Florida
>>
that meme about 'I don't WANT clean air / fast, frequent transit / etc, I WANT less traffic' only i'm laughing for the wrong reasons
>>
>>1815722
I remember how close Central Florida was from getting the connection between Orlando and Tampa built, until Rick Scott became governor and killed it. Nowadays, all you hear about these retards are complaints that traffic on i-4 is too much
>>
>>1815768
That's life in the US.
It's been a decade ago, but in Ohio, Governor Kasich turned down $400 million from Federal DOT to establish a route from Cincinnati-Columbus-Cleveland.
It wouldn't have been true HSR, but "higher speed" is better than... nothing.
>>
>>1815768
at least you'll get the one between west palm beach and orlando
>>
>>1815768
Morons
>>
>>1815784
But “high speed” rail really isn’t that fast either. It still has to stop a lot and can only go near it’s top speed in certain sections.
>>
>>1815847
It's faster than cars and for short distances it's faster than airplanes also
>>
>>1815877
It is. But you need good local transit, too. Not gonna take a train only to rent a car in Downtown LA of all places in the city.
>>
>>1815732
So did you just not look at the map or are you deliberately being a moron?
>>
>>1815931
That's why you also build light rail and bike lines along roads and zone those areas for attached houses and retail
>>
>>1815722
You're right. The biggest HSR project in the US, CAHSR, has been plagued with every problem an infrastructure project could have, and none of the results expected. As a result, unless it starts servicing something to the tune of a few million passengers per year, future HSR projects will be dead, politically speaking.
>>1815784
Sad; regional rail is probably the best call for serious mass transit in the US. It often means pretty straightforward updates on existing rail lines, is significantly less expensive, and can actually service local commuters instead of having to focus on intercity/interstate transit.
>>
>>1815931
Why not have the HSR stop at the airport, that would allow for good rail-air connections, and you can rent a car there just like if you came by plane.
>>
>>1816235
>and none of the results expected

its literally being built right now

like, right now, with guys in helmets and boots pouring concrete and stuff
>>
>>1816242
Both those things are intercity transit. You want last-mile connections to the airport. A tram or bus station at an airport makes an order of magnitude more sense.
>>
>>1816246
reasons why airport can have bus station and tram station but not train station:
>>
>>1816247
I never said no to train station, I said no to high speed rail stations. If you're talking a regional service, then yes, that makes a lot of sense. The only reason to put an HSR stop there would be if you're making an integrated transit hub for a city, which isn't a bad design either. That said, HSR-air connectivity isn't really a necessity. HSR's most marketable use is to replace short flights that are borderline driving distance, not for daily commutes, so treat an HSR stop similar in use to airports.
>>
>>1816251
>I never said no to train station, I said no to high speed rail stations
what's the difference?
>>
>>1815877
Not necessarily. Short hop flights are usually from small airports where tsa takes like 3 minutes at most.
>>
>>1816259
Electric regional rail that travels near 150-200kph is cheap compared to true HSR
>>
File: 123123.jpg (69 KB, 759x500)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1815732
This.
Airplane>19th century tech.
Stop living in the past, autists.
>>
>>1816277
Checking in, security, embarking, disembarking and taxing takes hours for a typical flight. On top of that most people are trained to arrive hours early if they don't want to miss their flights, so that whole process is like 3-4 hours of non-flight time spent at airports. Then if you don't have quality public transit to get there and in the destination city you are spending time in car traffic and have the overhead of parking or car rentals or taxis.

VS you take transit to the HSR station and board the train and then transit to your destination.

If we had HSR between Toronto and Montreal, it would take about 3hrs total to get from my apartment in Toronto to my friend's place in Montreal vs about 5-6 with flying.
>>
>this thread again
fuck off (((Alon))) stop shilling your stupid tweets
>>
>>1815722
Looks so nice too. Being able to get around the east coast on train like that would be sweet. I hate buses and don't want to fly.
>>
>>1816297
>3-4 hours of non-flight time spent at airports

Laughably false. The average time to go through tsa at LaGuardia is 20 minutes, and it’s way faster to take a cab than transit, because driving is faster than transit. Airports are even more convenient than HSR stations anyways because they’re not located in the most congested part of the city, the center.
>>
>>1816297
>3-4 hours of non-flight time spent at airports
LMAO
>>
>>1816306
New York has by far the worst airport connection of any major city in the world
>>
>>1816306
Based. I’m always the person they’re calling for at the gate 5 minutes late but guess what? I had to finish my lamb chops at the club lounge.
>>
>>1815722
HSR needs a strong backbone of regional rail services to feed it
unfortunately america lacks that
>>
>>1816246
>wanting to force passengers to use their city's fucking metro/tram, adding an extra connection and trip time to the point where people will just say fuck it I'll drive
No thanks. HSR terminals at airport terminals make a lot of sense. The airport is already built to handle large traffic flows, pick-ups and drop-offs, and car rentals. Making people ride a tram from a rail terminal to the airport is stupid
>>
>>1816306
>airports are more convenient because they're located far from all the people
>>
>>1816350
Most people in a city aren't in one place.
>>
>>1815796
If the flooding and sinkholes don’t get it.
>>
Untill you can move people from ny to la faster and cheaper than a plane it will never work
>>
>>1816467
tard opinion
>>
>>1815732
didn't even look at the fucking map
>>
>>1815722
>It's another HSR obsessed retard thread
Make actual subway systems, bike lanes, and frequent buses first. Basic shit people need on a daily basis. No one cares about HSR that lets some executive [bullshot job] cunt hop from city to city for a meeting he could easily do on a zoom call.
>>
>>1816245
That's been true for a very long time. And there's only construction on what was supposed to be a cheap and easy portion. The urban portions in the Bay Area and Los Angeles have been downgraded to using at-grade commuter rail ROW, and neither of the two mountain passes that need to be built have any funding. It's so problematic that Democrat lawmakers in California don't want to release bond money specifically earmarked for it.
>>
>>1816501
based, this guy gets it
>>
>>1816501
>Basic shit people need on a daily basis.
People don't need bike lanes on a daily basis
>>
>>1816657
People would use bike lines if you could actually get where you need to go on a daily basis with them and weren't at the mercy of the people in cars pissed off at traffic.
>>
>>1816660
Let's worry about real transportation solutions first, then your little bike lanes
>>
>>1816662
The real transportation solution is segregating car, train, bike and foot traffic into their own thoroughfares so they are not bogged down by inter-modal traffic or by too much congestion of one mode.

I think if you want to drive that's fine. But your worst enemy as a driver is all the intersections that have to be build to allow traffic to merge and the combination of different modes of traffic on the same infrastructure.
>>
>>1816664
Exactly, that's why we should work on real transportation solutions like improved intersection timing, trams & metros, reliable bus services, and after that if there's anything left over can go to bicycle lanes.
>>
>>1816666
The problem with excluding bike (and pedestrian) infrastructure is that if the source and destination are not bike and foot friendly the effectiveness of train, metro, tram and bus service in increasing mobility while reducing car congestion will be reduced.

If you build high quality transit from a car-dependent location to a car-dependent location, people would rather just drive for convenience. But if the neighbourhood you live in has everything you need within walking or biking distance and the destination has everything you need within walking or biking distance then huge amounts of people will have no problem whatsoever with abandoning their cars.

You are still thinking about it from the perspective of "get these other people out of my way" rather than "get as many people to where they want to go safely and quickly". As long as you have that frame of mind you're not going to solve anything.

In a well designed city, people can live in single family homes or spacious apartments, go to work, do grocery shopping, and do what they want for recreation without a car.
>>
>>1816672
I didn't say exclude pedestrian infrastructure. Bike lanes should simply be given the lowest priority among transport items that need to be addressed.
>>
>>1816680
Why? As a troll to bike riders?

It makes more sense to not just be able to walk to the grocery store, but have a bike with panniers which you can use to carry groceries with you without much effort.
>>
>>1815722
It would cost trillions of dollars and hundreds of years to build it out.
>>
>>1816689
>bike with panniers for groceries
Not a faggot, so no
>>
>>1816755
How does using a bag that you can attach to a bike to get groceries make you a faggot?
>>
>>1815722
>buffalo as a HSR hub
I'm cooooming
>>
>>1816786
same way that using a rolling backpack makes you autistic
>>
>>1815722
To be fair, does Phoenix need a HSR link to LA?

I mean, their airport is right in the city centre.
>>
>>1817532
I thought one of the main reasons to get HSR was to reduce air travel?
>>
>>1817533
Right. I didn't see it from that angle.
>>
>>1815722
>Live in Burlington
>Have to travel with “people” from B*ston and C*nadians
>>
File: 1528922769311.jpg (84 KB, 823x600)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Im a pilot and I would give my left nut to ride a fast train in these regional transit corridors
i cannot imagine anyone, anyone who prefers putting up with the shit at HOU-DFW or DCA-BOS metro area traffic, TSA bullshit even with known crew member (it sucks, period), just for the pleasure of riding in a CRJ that might break at any moment in the gate, be #20 for departure at LaGuardia, or just have the whole thing canceled altogether because of weather. I mean the weather delays alone, baka
Airlines will always have a purpose in America, but anyone who prefers an airline solely between these cities linked on the map needs to fly more and experience the mayhem
>>
File: 189652357678657.jpg (719 KB, 1500x1508)
719 KB
719 KB JPG
>>1815722
We should just join the BRI and let China build It for us: https://youtu.be/fzl11OAg-mE
>>
>>1818173
>10 train derailments a week
>>
File: 8ygyzlomlt021.png (373 KB, 1024x904)
373 KB
373 KB PNG
Why can't we just have high speed rail from one side on Los Angeles to the other?

These grand visions of shuttling people across vast wastelands so they can take photos of their food and post to Instagram?
>>
>>1818299
I just want a rail line from the valley to west la
>>
>>1818167
It's not even much cheaper to take a train.
>>
>>1816306
When people fly, they don't care about AVERAGE time through security, they care about the distribution of possible times, because missing your flight is much worse than wasting time at the airport.
>>
>>1816296
There's no 19th century trains in the rolling stock of any HSR.
And if there is I'd like to ride it please.
>>
>>1818307
Best I can do is a discount monorail.
>>
>>1816354
which is why the center is the best option
>>
>>1819660
No

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.