[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 119 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: IMG_20220614_201450.jpg (143 KB, 720x482)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
What's with the rise of preachy Youtubers who hold only the extreme opinions?
>>
outrage drives engagement. engagement drives advertising dollars.
this is more of a subject for >>>/g/ though
>>
>>1811933
this. normal vids get like 20 views.
>>
>>1811932
80% of these dudes have good ideas but get mired in their own endless useless dogma. It's never "This is a good step in the right direction" it's always "No, everything is shit unless we nationalize rail and bring back conrail and put a spur route to every small city and electric light rail down every street and outlaw cars okay."

They have good ideas, a lot of what they say is true but >>1811933 is correct and most of them are sovietboos
>>
>>1811932
Electric deckers are a scam. I'm used to hitting 62 on my light run with a Scania but these BYDs only do 48mph :(
>>
>>1811956
maybe Chinese deckers are a scam
>>
>>1811957
Whats the issue with operators using hybrids like the Enviro MMC tho? Most companies are happy enough with inferior Chinese buses that cost more (450k vs 300) just so they can pull the muh sustainable card.
>>
>>1811956
48 mph is enough.
>>
weird how people you disagree with are always insane screeching stereotypes and the dogma and the truth is in the middle etc etc. funny how that works
>>
watching videos and making sure to agree with them, but then calibrate my agreement down by approximately 33% to account for how i'm smarter than them and so must hold an opposite opinion so they're wrong and i'm right
>>
if good things are good why don't we have them already? heh, checkmate
>>
Electric buses aren't inherently bad, it's just that all the currently popular models are unreliable Chinkshit because they're the only ones with this scale of battery production.
>>
>>1811933
>outrage drives engagement
This is true. You don't need to look for some retard finding a way to shit on your favorite video game
>>
>>1811960
Not on a dual carriageway it isnt. Light runs are timetabled to a 60mph drive not poodling along
>>
>>1811932
Adam isn't wrong though. Just build trams ffs
>>
I took an electric bus a while back. It was early in the morning so everyone was still feeling the dregs of sleep. Shit was so quiet it made me uncomfortable. I’m the kind of guy that puts white noise when sleeping so I don’t hear the voices as I go to bed
>>
somehow i can't stand Adam's voice
>>
>>1811932
this guys youtube is being spammed like crazy
this guy either picks low hanging fruit or says a bunch of politically biased bullshit
guy thinks his shit don't stink even though he is just a preachy youtube content faggot
>>
>DUDE JUST PUT UP HIGH VOLTAGE ELECTRIC WIRES TO POWER YOUR BUSES ALL OVER YOUR CITY LMAO
>DUDE ELECTRIC VEHICLES WILL ALWAYS BE 4x THE COST OF IC VEHICLES LMAO
>DUDE IF YOU CANT CATCH THE BUS YOU WILL GO ON WELFARE AND COMMIT CRIMES LMAO
>DUDE TRAIN INFRASTUCTURE IS TOTALLY ANALOGOUS TO BUSES LMAO
>>
>>1811932
idk, in my country bus drivers don't quite get that their job is to transport cattle, not race...
And electrical buses suck in this regard, they are fucking racing buses. Acceleration is more than in economy shitbox, braking power is insane too as weight distribution of e-bus is more even.
Buses with diesel, they have automatic gearbox which limits all madness no matter how hard u push the accelerator.
>>
>>1812193
makes sense, hes a commie pedo kike troon
>>
>>1812071
>>1812199
Yes providing electricity by wire is much cheaper and should be preferred for a vehicle with a predetermined route. For everything else electric car/bike rental would be best.
>>
>>1811932
https://youtu.be/AqHsXv7Umvw
>>
>>1811938
>nationalize rail and bring back conrail and put a spur route to every small city and electric light rail down every street and outlaw cars okay.
please, stop, i can only get so erect
>>
>>1811932
Extreme opinions are perfectly reasonable in this unjust world.
On a related note, is it legal to shoot motorcyclists for being too loud? I'm thinking of keeping a gun in my car for when I see any.
>>
RM Transit is the least annoying transit youtuber .
>>
>>1812234
trolleybuses combine the best of both worlds
>>
>>1812348
worst of both worlds you mean
>>
>>1812363
mentally challenged take
>>
>>1812365
Majority of trolleybus systems originated solely because oil was too expensive at one point in time
>>
>>1812369
This makes them perfect for what's to come
>>
File: track bus.jpg (103 KB, 640x480)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>1812365
>have the freedom of wheels
>stuck to designated routes
might as well go full trolly on rail autism, trolly bus is just as retard as track bus
>>
>>1812800
There should only be dedicated routes with segregated right of way from other transit vehicles. And the wheels should run on rails since it's easier to maintain rails in various weather than a paved surface. And since we're on rails the tyres should be replaced by metal wheels with flanges.
And if we're doing that, we might want to hook a few buses together to get more people to the same destination more frequently. We could use some kind of coupler system and have powered and unpowered buses hooked together on metal rails on a dedicated right of way.
Then they could go pretty fast and be very efficient.
>>
>>1812800
Boston has the worst bus service of any city
>>
>>1812841
solid argument, it always boils down to rails are the answer
>>
>>1812800
Why yes I like buses who drive through the city at random without a fixed itinerary
>>
File: trolling_bus.png (1.11 MB, 1144x718)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB PNG
>>1812800
Worst thing about them is that they drive in traffic but fuck up the flow of traffic. They are unable to change lanes fluidly or match speed.
>Green light on an intersection and completely open road?
>Too bad there's an X cross on there, cant go more than 10kph, ahh and its already yellow anyway
>Empty bus lane on clogged road?
>Nah, i'll just cut across all lanes into carpool, because overhead splitter is here and i need this lane for next exit
And don't get me started when on when they take 0.1m too far to avoid congestion and block the whole intersection while doing a lightning show because their power booms detached.

Pic. rel. wanna go left? Tough luck.. gotta wait for the trollies that clog your lane because they're coming in from right.
>>
Most youtube urbanists, and especially the one in OP's photo, want commbloc developments. Just this time with *liberalism. Cars, suburbs, and low density housing and separate shopping districts are the great capitalist Satan.

Adam Something's "argument" includes. That poor countries can't afford BEV buses. So they're bad.
>>
>>1811938
RM Transit is usually pretty positive
>>
>>1813068
Idk we have street cars in Toronto and it's no big deal

They aren't doing a lot of turns though, mostly I loops, L loops and U loops across the city.
>>
>>1813068
>>Too bad there's an X cross on there, cant go more than 10kph, ahh and its already yellow anyway
that sounds like a shithole country problem. Here in Switzerland trolleybuses go to switches at normal speeds.
>>
>>1813073
You don't really need to go full retard to get a much better system.

Start building attached houses instead of detached, start building trams and light rail instead of bus routes, build good metros for the dense core, electric regional rail with trains that can sprint to high speeds for ex-urban commuters.

That would fix most traffic problems and wouldn't be that expensive all things considered. You don't need high speed rail unless there are cities very close to one another but not close enough to be on the same metro/regional rail lines.
>>
>>1813073
i feel that you should say more about what YOU, yourself think, and not simply saying what other people think as though that means anything
>>
>>1813089
trams use a different, more reliable system for power than trolleybuses
>>
>>1812347
>>1813087
t. RM Transit
In all seriousness though he's pretty good and actually covers transit all over the world
>>
File: unknown-16.jpg (69 KB, 552x158)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1813309

RMTransit, City Beautiful and Strong Towns are pretty good
I do like how RMTransit at least attempts to play devil's advocate to give a balanced point of view, even if the video format is a bit boring
Not Just Bikes and Adam Something suck, netherlands and ukranian shills respectively who believe nothing in the world exists outside europe (picrel)
>>
>>1813334
>Not Just Bikes sucks, netherlands shill who believes nothing in the world exists outside europe (picrel)
Wrong.

>when will you be more negative about the netherlands?
>it's difficult. the problem is that every problem the netherlands has other countries have worse

This perspective is BECAUSE he's not Europe-centric. All NJBs videos are using Netherlands as a case example for what he wants North America to be. His videos are all about North America, they're not about The Netherlands, his audience isn't the Dutch and his videos aren't about improving Holland. He constantly, albeit sometimes at a reach, argues against reasons why North America cannot be like the Netherlands.
>>
>>1813335
fine, a misstep then, he believes nothing in the world exists outside europe and north america
>every problem the netherlands has other countries have worse
>japan.png
>switzerland.png
the netherlands' train system is so backward they don't even have level boarding and need you to call station staff in advance to bring a fucking wooden ramp (source: that weird delft book recommended by NJB, that goes on a stupid tangent about how public transport is inaccessible and motor wheelchairs on bike lanes are the only way to make cities accessible)
>>
>>1813337
>the netherlands' train system is so backward they don't even have level boarding and need you to call station staff in advance to bring a fucking wooden ramp
Just from googling this now, I don't think you're right:

>The Netherlands has bold plans to ensure that its entire railway network, comprising 410 stations, is fully independently accessible to everyone by 2030. To reach this goal, the country has pursued a three-pronged approach: carry out a complete platform standardisation programme, make all stations step-free from street to platform, and ensure that all new rolling stock can provide level boarding at the national standard platform height.
>The plans are well underway, with level boarding local trains already in place and both platform standardisation and step-free access works moving forward on a rolling basis.
https://www.levelboarding.org.uk/case-studies/

What else are you even talking about?
>>
>>1813338
don't ask me, ask the authors of this book:
https://twitter.com/notjustbikes/status/1401818865156464640

also
>by 2030
which means it's not accessible yet, and won't be for another 8 years, lmao
just local trains aren't enough
>>
>>1813339
It's not really a gotcha to criticise something they're actively fixing and have fixed a lot of already.

NJB subject is using Netherlands as a case example to educate North Americans about how shit might be improved for them.
If you're gonna say it 'sucks' because it only focuses on the Netherlands, and that the Netherlands has significant flaws, things other countries do better, and therefor it's not a good case example, well, what are they? The one example you just gave is a bad one.
>>
>>1813340
density is one, the netherlands is relatively undense (although i guess it's unfair to compare to east asia where everything is a skyscraper-filled metropolis, so let's shelve that one)

the medium distance transit for non-bikers is a bit sketchy too, since you can't really mix bike and tram/bus (can't bring your bike on the tram/bus) and the tram is also slow (16kph), this leads into a weird sort of mix where it's harder to mix bike and tram than it would be to mix bike and train, for example. rail density is also a lot lower than, say, japan or switzerland

don't get me wrong, I like the Netherlands, but acting like it's superior to everywhere else in the world leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. i get that it's all about changing north america in particular, but even then, imo RMTransit does a way better job by looking at the merits and deficiencies of transit systems all around the world and talking about how to fix them
>>
>>1813343
>the netherlands is relatively undense
>rail density is also a lot lower than, say, japan or switzerland

Is that even a criticism?
If anything it makes NL a good case example for north americans who are utterly phobic of any greater density and will characterize apartment living as being in pods and eating bugs. Having a non-extreme example to give them is necessary and what american suburbs might realistically be replaced with is medium density not high density.

>(can't bring your bike on the tram/bus) this leads into a weird sort of mix where it's harder to mix bike and tram than it would be to mix bike and train
I don't buy this one either. Bringing your bike on a train is not viable as a population-wide transport strategy. It's akin to locking your bike up on a lamppost. It only really works if biking is a niche transport mode.
Isn't the Netherlands strategy for bicycles as first and last mile transport, and to be left at hubs or rental bikes used? In which case whether you can or can't bring bikes aboard transit is largely irrelevant.
>>
>>1813343
>RMTransit
I will check this out though.
Scrolling their videos it seems none are about bicycles which annoys me.
>>
>>1813345
>If anything it makes NL a good case example for north americans who are utterly phobic of any greater density
fair enough. as you can probably tell, i don't live in north america
>Bringing your bike on a train is not viable as a population-wide transport strategy.
i do agree, but as it is, my point would be that the trams and buses seem useless if the netherlands is really such a cycling mecca, since they're only slightly faster than an athletic biker and the frequencies seem not too good (7-10 minutes is kinda meh for short distance transit)

>Scrolling their videos it seems none are about bicycles which annoys me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOkN255il7U
not a bad one, it's about first/last mile biking, like you said
RMTransit is definitely more focused on the vehicular transit side of things, though, than about bicycles
and let's be honest, north america needs better buses/trams/metros/trains or all the above
>>
File: 1564608720170.gif (1.4 MB, 193x135)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB GIF
>>1813345
>If anything it makes NL a good case example for north americans who are utterly phobic of any greater density and will characterize apartment living as being in pods and eating bugs.
The problem with NJB is that even if it is Netherlands-centric and not straight-up shilling WEF propaganda, he shares most of the exact same talking points of his peers without nuance or criticism.
>>
>>1813358
>he shares most of the exact same talking points of his peers without nuance or criticism.
that's a smart sounding thing to say but what exactly are you talking about?
>>
>>1813349
rec me one of his videos, a good one, ill watch that
>>
>>1811932
electric vehicles are currently non viable. what we need is massive fuck off funding in battery tech do deal with future needs, because we cant make enough electric vehicles for everyone.

in an ideal situation in america for example

1) we don't have bike lanes, instead bikes on sidewalks in manual modes, segment it out as needed, or they function on the road like a motorcycle in electric case. in so many areas they took a 2 lane road and made it 1, so the bike lane has a good go, and they destroyed that segment of road for actual cars, so emergency vehicles can't get in even if they needed to.

2) we have have chemicals on rails, moving people between major areas as needed, any walk that is more than 20 minutes gets serviced by another. I can imagine a train/buss hybrid, hydraulics that raise and lower wheels to take them from one area to another and when they are on track they have lift wheels and become apart of a system, this would be used for sporting events, when shit hits a mass number of people.

3) in between towns have a rapid service where you are on one of these train busses get off, and within 20 minute there is another to get on.

4) there is a prefered card that gets you into nicer areas of the bus or full busses just for people who aren't problems. the main reason public transport in america does not work is because of these people, anyone with half a brain pays for a car just so they don't have to be next to the person who pisses on the seat next to you because fuck it they had to pee.

personally, if I had internet access on these buses or a powerful enough portable I would gladly trade a 40-60 minute car ride there and back from work for a 2 hour there and back where I can do shit in between

personally, once full self driving happens, I don't see this more or less happening but on an individual level, personally I would want to see mass transit for people ingest and then individual once they get there, but realistically it wont be.
>>
>>1813349
>and let's be honest, north america needs better buses/trams/metros/trains or all the above
That's true, but NA is allergic to building transit at reasonable costs, hates transit, and has NIMBY problems. NA also needs significantly better bike infrastructure, which is cheaper to build and easier to roll out considering the massive ROWs that exist in most American suburbs. It's ok for different people to focus on different areas. NJB focuses almost exclusively on local street design, land use, and bicycle infrastructure. I actually don't know of a single time he's talked about transit specifically; he just acknowledges its existence as it relates to the aforementioned topics. Other channels focus on transit, or land use, or transit and land use, or transit and land use and street design. There's nothing wrong with that. Interestingly, I can't find any urbanist outlet that even acknowledges the existence of Japan's (and Tokyo's) extensive expressways, which apparently repay their construction bonds and can fund subterranean expansions in Tokyo (as far as I can tell, like I said there's very little discussion of the,), which might be a useful model for the US considering most of our limited-access highways are not going away.
>>
>>1812841
Yeah and it has an HSR-tier cost per km and passenger capacity, whereas the trolleybus is flexible if you put minimal batteries and has cheap material with inexpensive maintenance. Trams are superior for big cities and their inner suburbs but trolleybuses is the way to go for outer suburbs and medium-to-small-sized cities
>>
>>1813345
>I don't buy this one either. Bringing your bike on a train is not viable as a population-wide transport strategy. It's akin to locking your bike up on a lamppost. It only really works if biking is a niche transport mode.
I disagree, its great for the last (several) mile problem
In my commuter town in Poland the train station is surrounded by bikes and the regional rail operator is getting wagons for the sole purpose of bringing a bike on them
>>
>>1813362
you want to avoid the ones where he's just talking with nearly no visuals, unless you're listening in the background.

the most recent one i'd recommend is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WosYRVYMEM

imo the "explained" series is pretty good too
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwoYcvp1EGSeL1hZCfeQodba_VNW7pe8v
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwoYcvp1EGSeCororQWaG3hZGxBSkcJDx
>>
>>1813370
>NA is allergic to building transit at reasonable costs, hates transit, and has NIMBY problems
yea..
>NA also needs significantly better bike infrastructure, which is cheaper to build and easier to roll out considering the massive ROWs that exist in most American suburbs
fair enough, NA definitely can make good use of bikes considering the low density that is basically every suburban area. I guess from the point of view of being in america, NJB makes a lot more sense.
(just ignore tehsiewdai, the shitty asian ripoff NJB who loves to peddle stupid ideas like getting rid of grade separated rail corridors for bikes in hilly areas, and generally pretends that all of asia is the netherlands)
>Interestingly, I can't find any urbanist outlet that even acknowledges the existence of Japan's (and Tokyo's) extensive expressways, which apparently repay their construction bonds and can fund subterranean expansions in Tokyo
japan's expressways are very expensive to drive on thanks to the tolls, and they're also comparatively narrow (2 lanes per direction is the norm)
it might be a useful model for the US to start charging more for the expressways, but then people would just bitch about the high cost, and since there aren't any alternatives yet, you'd just be screwing everyone who isn't rich over, i think
>>
File: 自行車上捷運.jpg (967 KB, 2807x3685)
967 KB
967 KB JPG
>>1813393
works for commuter towns, but not scalable to actually dense cities, because bringing a bike on means you can only fit 1/3 of the usual number of passengers (assuming everyone is bringing a bike).
here in taipei, you can take bikes on the regular bento trains in the luggage compartment, if you have one, or you can take non-folded bikes on the MRT (but only off-peak, only on the lines that aren't light metro, and you're banned from the most crowded interchanges)
>>
>>1813309
>he's pretty good and actually covers transit all over the world
the thing is ... he doesnt have any particular knowledge or insight on these topics. any idiot can repeat the wikipedia entries for passenger rail transport in France or the UK or Germany or wherever, meanwhile what 'analysis' he makes is pretty much on the level of 'why didnt they connect line X to line Y' or 'ugh thats a long transfer between platforms'. without doing any basic analysis at all. why are the transfers so long? why did they put them where they did? what should they have done instead? - questions that the 'transit system analysis' guy will absolutely not raise or answer, ever, in his videos, but you'll sure as hell hear about the TOD acronym he's trying to make into a thing.

he strikes me as someone that knows more than most about his local transit system, and who has of course made the required dork pilgrimage to Japan to oohh and aahh at the trains, and therefore Knows Transit. i'm not knocking him for not knowing about other countries' transit system, i'm knocking him for doing 'analysis' that's surface level at best.
>>
>>1813402
fair enough. to be completely honest, oftentimes i just skip through the videos, grab the most interesting parts he talks about, then do my own research. as it is, it's a pretty decent jumping-off point and a good source to have basic level knowledge about other countries' systems imo.

i do look forward to the day someone with defunctland-quality production or something like that steps up and does metro documentary videos, but this is the best there is so far, and more importantly, it's just the right size to point normies at and make them understand
>>
shit on Not Just Bikes all you like, but the guy is talking about his lived experience, from a position of 'everyone else can have this as well if they wanted'. you don't have to *agree* with this, but i can understand where he's coming from.

>>1813405
i mean i understand why someone would be unwilling to wade into 'awkward topics' if they want to make money off of their youtube channel. still, scolding big faceless entities like The Government for lack of funding or Society for not wanting light rail or whatever, is about the safest thing you can do. and i guess that sums up why i don't like his channel: it's safe, and presenting 'analysis' while also saying '...but do your own research to learn more' so you don't have to touch the thornier stuff is, come on.
>>
Not really a transit channel but Oh The Urbanity is really good because it attempts to bring both sides of the argument
>>
>>1813435
What argument?
>>
>>1813438
any urbanist related issue they are talking about. They will bring up the anti-urbanist points without strawmaning them and refute them or acknowledge them.
>>1813435
But how annoying are their voices? Do all canadians sound like that? If so I don't think I ever want to go there
>>
>>1813446
so they're bullshit artists then
>>
File: 507.jpg (12 KB, 306x306)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>Adam Something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXWmAmm5nag
>>
>>1813501
>libertarian
into the trash
>>
>>1813506
lolberts can be cringe but I'll take them over psuedomarx drones like Adam any day.
>>
>>1813526
why's that?
>>
>>1813529
lolberts are cringe but high IQ, marxoids are cringe but low IQ. I only need to watch that vid for 5 minutes to know he has at least +30 IQ points on Adam. Still a gigantic lobert autist, but at least he isn't retarded.
>>
>>1813550
what led you to draw those conclusions about peoples' IQ?
>>
>>1813551
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0160289614000373
>>
>>1813569
does someone having a high IQ make them correct?
>>
File: junctrons.png (1.18 MB, 1108x640)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB PNG
>>1813091
>shithole country problem
Might be. I wonder where's the difference. We do have new trolleys but the wiring design doesn't seem to have changed. OTOH on some new routes there are very few junctions. The wiring simply ends at some stops and continues at next stop after obstacles. The bus will cover that distance on diesel and automatically re-engage centenary when stopped.

Might also be also density and planning problem. It's capital and center is crisscrossed with bus routes. If you have favorable agglomeration and just a few routes you could possibly plan them out to connect smoothly without any mid-road junctions and intersections with other bus routes, trams and trains. Cuz damn those wires look ugly.
>>
>>1812842
Says the spoiled whitoid who's never had to use any bus in any third world shithole.
>>
>>1813359
Hating right on red/slip lanes (right on red actually reduces idling and reduces congestion), towing the induced demand line (largely misrepresented data, original paper misquoted, incorrect conclusions), parroting the "stroads" idea, and criticizing wide highways that need to be crossed over while never criticizing equally wide railyards or waterways. Also, they never consider cheap, practical ways to reduce congestion (like timing lights better) beyond "adding expensive mass transit".
>>
>>1813665
yes, and? what's the point that you are trying to make
>>
>>1813703
With a few very minor points that give him an advantage over his more radical peers, Not Just Bikes is just another transit vlog going over the exact same stuff that everyone else covers.

I'd love to see a YouTube channel that both considers non-car transportation AND rejects the dogma that surrounds these channels.
>>
File: 1649247557838.jpg (61 KB, 900x696)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>1813358
>WEF propaganda
>>
>>1813665
>Hating right on red/slip lanes (right on red actually reduces idling and reduces congestion)
Cyclists being turned into is THE most dangerous area on the road.

>towing the induced demand line (largely misrepresented data, original paper misquoted, incorrect conclusions)
I actually agree with you that induced demand is disingenuous but there's a reason why it's a helpful idea. It's a lie that cities can be made more environmentally freindly, and focused more on non-car modes, without making things worse for car drivers. Many car drivers, you even seem to be implying this is what you'd like, welcome change, and are 'environmentalists', but the caveat is that it all has to happen under the condition that nothing gets worse for them driving. This attitude necessitates disingenuous half truths like induced demand. People are actually asking to be spun a line of bullshit, that, or, refusing any change.

>parroting the "stroads" idea
the Stroads idea is a good one and i'd like you to explain why it's not

>criticizing wide highways that need to be crossed over while never criticizing equally wide railyards or waterways
it's difficult for transport advocates to be self critical of their modes of transportation because that role is taken up by concern trolls from the right. I think you will actually find NJB and others criticizing poor implementation, but if you're talking about just the inherent space that water and trains take up then it's not hypocritical to view that as valid and huge highways as not, he just has different preferences and priorities and also tends to view train infrastructure and waterways as aesthetic.

>practical ways to reduce congestion (like timing lights better)
He's talked about that quite a lot.
What are the other things you'd like discussed? Congestion charging? Strict regulation on the size of cars?
>>
File: channels4_profile.jpg (50 KB, 900x900)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>1811932
We need a genocide of youtube urbanists
>>
People on this board a guilty of the same extremism that is peddled by these youtubers. Cars and transit can live together in harmony, I live in NJ, I own a car, and I live near transit. Some days I enjoy driving, other days, I would rather take transit.
I absolutely love park & rides, I think it's a good way of transporting people into dense downtown urban areas.
>>
>>1811962
good move
>>
>>1813956
the car-centric status quo is extremism
if you take a moderate position then the compromise between your moderate position and the car-centric status quo is the car-centric status quo
>>
>>1813960
>park and rides are car-centric extremism
>>
>>1813895
>I'd love to see a YouTube channel that both considers non-car transportation AND rejects the dogma
what kind of dogma?
>>
>>1813961
yeah in most cases they are
>>
>>1813905
whoa thats literally me
>>
>>1811932
Who gives a fuck what some gypsy thinks
>>
>>1813665
>Hating right on red/slip lanes (right on red actually reduces idling and reduces congestion)
I definitely agree right on red has positives and that it's annoying that like every other area of political discourse urbanist commentators are unable to acknowledge the good with the bad, however since their focus is on pedestrian and bicycling safety and critiquing the car centric design of North America, I think it's fair they don't discuss it deeply as their premise is that anywhere they're talking about should be designed in such a way that the negatives almost always outweigh the positives.
>towing the induced demand line
This is irritating but it's largely true, especially in the context these YouTubers frequently focus on. I think what's problematic is that the idea is removed from a more reasonable context, like not expanding freeways to reduce congestion before alternatives are considered, and a) applied to highway projects that just improve what has already been built like fixing an interchange that's choking freeways that would otherwise be higher capacity; if a freeway already exists you should get the most out of it rather than let four lanes get wasted because a flyover was idiotically designed to dump two lanes of traffic into the right lane of a freeway 400 yards before a busy exit (a pos interchange in my home town) b) used to moronically justify reducing capacity without considering where those prior travelers are going to go.
>parroting the "stroads" idea
I'm with the other guy. This a good idea pioneered by an overt conservative who is only involved in urbanism because of his fiscal conservatism. Roads should be better divided between thoroughfares with limited to no frontage and midblock access and local streets with frontage and midblock access. I'm curious why you'd be critical of this idea when this delineation is a big factor in the utility of freeways.
>>
>>1813665
>criticizing wide highways that need to be crossed over while never criticizing equally wide railyards or waterways
If you're saying what I think you're saying I actually strongly agree with you. Tragic as the initial construction of urban expressways might have often been, plenty of successful communities thrive alongside more impermeable barriers, and reconnection will do little if anything to improve them. Sometimes the more reasonable complaints, like the visual aspect of elevated freeways (which doesn't apply at all to below grade freeways) or the noise or air pollution, get mentioned, but only in passing, which is a shame because those things are legitimate and solvable, whereas the fact that communities were separated 50 years ago, while unfortunate, is irrelevant to their prosperity post-split.
>they never consider cheap, practical ways to reduce congestion
Well, several focus on biking, which is cheap and practical, as well as other things, but channels are typically urbanist, so they're specifically focused on congestion but on land use, or transit focused which means they inherently focus on transit. Like I said previously, there's virtually no one discussing improvements to car infrastructure, outside of Road Guy Rob but he basically just reads the MUTCD to people and doesn't express any opinion on any kind of change, which is unfortunate because they're not going away, and we might as well maximize what we do have.
>>
i'm not reading any of that. cars are bad! thank you!
>>
>>1814240
Road Guy Rob has good intentions but he is an absolute carbrain. See the episode about raised median gaps and 'edge lane roads'.
I wonder if its just mentality of a typical american driver speaking through him
>>
>>1814006
Acknowledging that car-centric design has the exact same problems everywhere, you need to instead imagine it's actually a matter of opinion that suburbs and their infrastructure are federally subsidized ala debt scheme.
>>
>>1812246
Fuck you.
Nationalisation will not solve anything and only appeals to commies
Small American cities not directly next to a major metropolis will never be viable trains destinations.
Cars should not have the priority they do right now but have a legitemate function.
Light rail's fine though
Stop confusing your wet dreams for reality. People can tell that you're completely out of touch.
>>
>>1814316
>i don't like things
>>
>>1814253
He really is just a personification of the current traffic engineering groupthink. If Congress passed a bill tomorrow that mandated the use of the Netherland's design guide instead of our MUTCD, he would start sounding like NJB overnight. Which I actually respect him for. I'm tired of this bullshit attitude that everyone has to have a take on everything and there's a right and wrong side to every issue. Sometimes there is no good or right answer and reasonable people disagree, and objectively reporting what is going on and the motivations of the actors involved is what journalism should be. There's nothing wrong with documenting what state DOTs are doing and their reasoning for it.
>>
>>1813435
This,but mostly because they're the least commiepilled one of them all. They're the ones that are most in favor of market based solution instead of making the government dictate what gets build.
>>
>>1814316
>Nationalisation will not solve anything and only appeals to commies
This is nonsense, nationalized rail networks generally perform much better.
>Small American cities not directly next to a major metropolis will never be viable trains destinations.
Muh american exceptionalism. Works everywhere else but it could NEVER happen here.
>People can tell that you're completely out of touch.
No you
>>
>>1812874
While from a riders perspective, busses being able to go off route and pass each other seems silly and unnecessary, from an operational perspective it's extremely helpful.
>>
>>1814235
>>1813911
>the Stroads idea is a good one and i'd like you to explain why it's not
>a good idea pioneered by an overt conservative who is only involved in urbanism because of his fiscal conservatism
I saw the original video from Strong Towns. He doesn't really provide a good alternative besides "streets" and "high performance roads" nor does say why they fail beyond "well apparently going 35mph isn't efficient" or something along those lines. A strictly binary roadway system is odd given that there's a big obsession with middle-density buildings like fourplexes and small office buildings. There are quasi-highways that have the occasional stoplight and access roads for businesses, but this takes up a lot of right of way and isn't discussed. And a lot of the shops and restaurants out there require high-traffic, high-visibility locations to succeed...which of course, isn't mentioned.

>I think what's problematic is that the idea is removed from a more reasonable context
There is some truth to induced demand, nowhere did I imply it was fictionalized, and the diminishing returns is very much real. And a lot of problems can be fixed by changing antiquated ramp geography, or using ramp meters. This is where Cities Skylines has led a lot of people wrong, traffic doesn't bunch up after on-ramps, it jams up before because a lot of people are entering the highway, requiring braking and slowdowns. Ramp metering pushes that off the freeway and limits how many cars can get on so the freeway doesn't jam up.

>>1813960
The vast majority of the way an area commutes is not extremism. Even in Europe, 85% people prefer to take the car despite the underbuilt, congested roadways.
>>
File: 1638471181371.jpg (72 KB, 393x799)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1814235
>>1814706
To continue, the induced demand idea has created all sorts of awful takes that have very little grounding in reality and practical application.
>if we don't widen the freeways, then people will be forced to take mass transit
>if we don't widen the freeways, then people will prefer the high-density inner city over the suburbs
>if we don't widen the freeways, then we can stem suburban sprawl
>if we destroy/limit freeways, traffic and congestion will go away as quickly as they came
>every single road widening project is a waste of money
Yet these takes come up again and again in transit vlogs and are rarely criticized.
>>
>>1812800
>>1812363
trolleybusses are purely inferior options in the majority of situations and anyone who claims otherwise is a contrarian retard
>>
>>1812348
morelike trannybus
>>
>>1811932
A. outrage gets you views and engagement. It makes creators make shit takes even if they normally wouldn't IRL and makes the videos with those shit takes more popular so you see them more.

B. with that engagement you will get a follow up of people who agree with the previous outrage videos unironically and almost everyone will start huffing their own fart when surrounded by yes men.

C. if you feel you need to make a video about a topic to educate the masses in the first place you most likelly don't have that much expertise on the subject you think you have. Of course there are many good youtubers who knows what they are talking about and make genuinely informative content but if you take a sample of the "this is the solution for X!/Why no one else sees this problem with Y?!" crowd most of them treat the dunning kruger peak like an alpinism competition.

D. Adam has always been a huge faggot.
>>
>>1814723
>cheaper operation costs than buses
>more silent than either buses or most trams
>no exhaust emissions
>very little particle emissions thanks to regenerative braking
>just as flexible as a bus if you give them like 50 km autonomy on batteries
>vehicles are cheaper than buses, either ICE or electric
>infrastructure is way less expensive than tram infrastructure
>can give it its own ROW or not, you decide

The only disadvantage they have against buses is a slightly higher infrastructure cost because of the cables, and the only disadvantage against a tram is the lower capacity. This makes them the perfect low-density suburb/smaller town transit.
>>
>>1814790
Oh yeah and a trolleybus lasts much longer than a motor bus, and this is probably even truer against battery-powered buses
>>
>>1814790
>>1814792
New tram systems provide a much higher quality ride with much higher passenger capacity and are less of a blight on the urban landscape (using pantographs instead of complicated overhead wiring which is better in every case than trolley wiring). They also have less rolling resistance, better transmission, more longevity and are quieter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwsE-LBW_pw

This is vs the legacy trolley systems which can often de-wire while turning (this is same vehicle but using a trolley wire which is sometimes needs to do if re-routed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOtMf1Oj4os

To say you want a new trolleybus system instead of a tram is peak contrarian bullshit
>>
>>1814801
I agree with all your points but trams aren't great on hills and they cost far more and cause more disruption to install than wiring up an existing bus route.
>>
Oh hey a fellow train autist maybe he has some interesting vi-
>/pol/itics ranting all day, weirdly obsessed with elon musk because mean twitter words
aaand dropped
>>
>>1814801
Trams are more energy-efficient and have a higher capacity, that much is true, but this is only important in larger, denser urban areas. Trolleybuses are perfect for smaller towns. Also, trams are very, very often not silent at all, basically any time there's curves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WNdxTFi4CE

I'm not even against trams, I'm just saying the trolleybus is the better option much more often than we often give it credit for
>>
>>1811938
>most of them are sovietboos
The one in OP Image is a Czech socialist, but he has a frothing hatred for the USSR and Russia kek. Half his posts now are pro-Ukraine, pro-NATO, and shitting on the Russians
>>
>>1811938
>it's always "No, everything is shit unless we nationalize rail and bring back conrail and put a spur route to every small city and electric light rail down every street
That’s true though
>>
>>1811933
Which is actually why I treasure those Youtube channels the most that are not about serving you bs to maximize viewer count.
It is hard to find them, due to the way the algorithm works though.
>>
>>1815106
He's hungayrian
>>
>>1814931
not even guided brt systems use external power electric buses
>>
>>1815210
yes and? that makes them crappy
>>
>>1815211
yes brt is poor mans rapid transit
thus it says a lot about the trolleybuses when not even brt wants to use them
>>
>>1815218
The Swiss have trolleybuses. This automatically grants them serious first world option status
>>
>>1815237
In America the bus is associated with schitzos, homeless and black people

Sorry but it's just not going to work here going forward
>>
>>1815239
If there's one thing America is really great at, it's selling the crappiest of craps and convincing people it's the greatest thing ever (see fast food). Surely Americans can sell the trolleybus back to Americans? Call it the Freedom Mobile™ and give it a slick design, and people will ride it
>>
File: Caen4.jpg (41 KB, 450x301)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>1815243
fear not
>>
>>1815243
How can it be freedom when it has a leash?
>>
>>1815272
Because unlike cars, you don't need a license or to avoid alcohol to get around in it
>>
>>1815446
how hard is it really to get a license in america?
>>
>>1813572
It makes them more likely to be correct.
>>
>>1816768
In Ontario there is a 2 year backlog to try to get your license because of covid policy and we have a shitty privatized service that does it with zero incentive to improve those numbers
>>
>>1816791
The ghost of Mike Harris still haunts us to this day. Just look at our transit infrastructure.
>>
>>1816802
ghost of mike harris and every other government in the past 20 years
>>
>>1816791
But thats because Canada in a second world country
>>
>>1815143
what sucks is that youtube removed the "not interested" button to make the algorithm stop flooding your homepage with similar clickbait
>>
>>1816791
thats great sweetie but anon clearly asked about America and not the off brand maple syrup version.
>>
>>1812841
trams are always more expensive than busses on a per-rider basis when you include extra infrastructure and maintenance costs
>muh multiple cars
Cheaper busses with higher frequency is better for ridership than trams that can carry 200 passengers using aushwitz cattle-car levels of cramming but pass only every 45 mins.
>>
File: Linz-239.jpg (626 KB, 1200x800)
626 KB
626 KB JPG
>>1815253
Why is there still a rail in the ground? Can this tram bus hybrid leave its designated route? Can it run in regular road lanes?
>>
>>
Has City Nerd ever been wrong? Urban planning is his job so it figures he's level headed
>>
>>1817915
Not gay for him but I would be if I was.
>>
>>1811932
These kids are raised in clickbait world, so all they know is how to make clickbaits.
>>
>>1815143
I like technology conmections. His titles can be clickbaity but the actual content is good.
>Title: This Sucks (Literally)
>Portable AC units
>Finally summary is pretty much “loud and inefficient but if you need AC and can’t install a window unit you can use this, here are some thoughts on which you should buy. Also wheels.”
>>
>>1814708
They also fail to mention that widening the highways did not induce demand, but merely followed it. The demand was induced by population growth.
Take the example of California.
Population in 1970: 19 million people
Population in 2020: 39 million people
The infrastructure just couldn't keep up with the population growth.
>>
>>1812841
Wait a minute, thats actually a good idea.
I have another idea, hear me out:
What if you build like a few of them across the country and connect the bigger cities and then you put not people, but goods on these "rail busses", and because you could still have trucks to distribute these goods from bigger cities to smaller cities, you can make them very long because they don't have to accelerate and brake all the time.

Or would that be dumb?
Because in Germoney they are building power lines above the Autobahn and that kinda gave me the idea to combine your idea with that.
>>
>>1811932
Alan Fisher is the same
>>
>>1818237
He also drags things out too long and shows his face too often
>>
>>1818273
sorry, to be clear, are you arguing against the existence of 'induced demand', or just saying that in a given hyper-specific local circumstance it's not induced demand it's 'sparkling invoked requirement'?
>>
half of them are also tankies and will defend shitty commieblock apartments
>>
Those fucking things go up like fireworks and fire brigades usually let them burn down since they can't extinguish them.
Also, unlike Teslas where only a few assholes get toasted, if a full BE-bus goes up, you're potentially looking at dozens of dead people.
The story is the same: place gets BE-buses, one of them goes up spectacularly, place gets rid of them due to the safety hazard.
Just get more (and longer) trams you retards, and restore the lines you tore up in the '70s (admittedly, where possible).
>>
most modern trolleybusses have batteries on board anyway
>>
>>1820645
Hybrid wirebus batteries are far less concentrated than those of BE-buses.
It's when you go over a certain value for Wh/gram (or Wh/liter), that the chemistry becomes severely unstable, and any small flaw leads to boom. Hence why you don't see hundreds of Leafs or Zoes going up in flames (despite there being hundreds of thousands of them on the roads), but Teslas routinely do, and a few e-Niros do it as well.
>>
>>1814316
Transportation is always subsidized by the government in every developed country even in America. Notinalizing rail is a cheaper alternative to spending more money on highways and having to maintain them and building all these extra roads. Now maybe if there were toles down every street or gas tax actually reflected how expensive having a car-based society is could work but then no one would want to drive. The common welfare is a part of the government and it includes transport. It would save you and the taxpayer a lot of money. The problem with making it private is that it doesn't really turn a profit. it just saves money compared to the more expensive alternative. I understand being wearing of the government and communism etc. But you have to look at things objectively and see which way is actually better and not be a slave to dogma.
>>
Trolley>e-bus.
Team horny ww@?
>>
>>1814346
>nationalized rail networks generally perform much better
Hmmmmm

>But that's one example
It's an American example, which is what's relevant. It doesn't matter how good Japan, China, Germany, France, Britain, Russia, Italy, Spain, Mexico, India, Iran, Israel, Mozambique, or Ecuador is at managing state run rail systems, the American government has illustrated that it can't. Hell the American government can't properly manage the most basic of social programs.
>>
>>1818378
I think his point was that the highways eventually grew with the population and economic growth, which was growing anyway. Which makes sense--having underbuilt infrastructure in a city won't stop growth, and adding infrastructure isn't going to jump-start population growth.
>>
>>1811932
playing with the feelings of people gets the views and interactions so the algos prefer to push them on people
>>
>>1820966
>I think his point was that the highways eventually grew with the population and economic growth, which was growing anyway.
...or, in other words, "demand" on road infrastructure was being "induced" by population and economic growth. and, moving onto a separate but related concept, the "demand" to use infrastructure means that 'just adding one more lane bro' only "induces" more traffic to use that infrastructure.
>>
induced demand does not exist, i argue while describing something different to induced demand. owned
>>
File: 1648801016480.png (468 KB, 652x738)
468 KB
468 KB PNG
>>1811932
>try to give this guy a chance since blowing up my feed
>every video is "build commie blocks and then train rails, all problems solved"
>every counter-point is "works for me in my small 90% white country"
>any country not building like you can in SimCity is stupid
>something not working right? reason is simple no commie blocks!
>>
>>1811932
Electric vehicles are for faggots who like to pretend they're helping the environment though.
>>
>>1814346
Nationalization really won't solve anything because the Federal government works directly into the pockets of the same groups who paid to stymie rail-based transportation to begin with.
Euros' first mistake is assuming the US Gov. works anything like their own beyond superficial similarities.
>>
File: file.png (779 KB, 960x540)
779 KB
779 KB PNG
>>1822685
Everything is fine. Things are fine. Continue consuming. Tomorrow will be the same as today. Everything is fine. Continue consuming
>>
>>1823284
1. That's an artificial lake in the first place
2. It's being depleted because people are farming water-intensive crops in the desert and all levels of government won't tell them to stop

It's not an efficient use of resources and only exists because it's government subsidized
>>
>>1824328
No one's farming shit in Las Vegas, it's all residential suburban squander. How these self-serving morons think it's sustainable to put 220 gallons of water per household PER DAY through their pipes is fucking beyond me.
>>
>>1824340
75% of the water from lake mead goes to agriculture
>>
File: mead.jpg (1008 KB, 1904x970)
1008 KB
1008 KB JPG
>>1824344
Where?
>>
>>1824346
In Arizona
>>
>>1824344
Which goes to food. Nobody eats 3" Kentucky bluegrass.
>>
>>1813446
The anti-urbanists don’t have an argument though.
>>
>>1824531
A lot of it is not for food
>>1824348
>>
>>1815239
>In America the bus is associated with schitzos, homeless and black people
Mysteriously, this was not a problem prior to the 1960s.
>>
>>1824348
>collecting a bit of water in one deserted shithole to grow shit in another deserted shithole
Just American things. Why can't you people just plant shit in places where it'll grow on its own?
>>
>>1824608
>The anti-urbanists don’t have an argument though.
Does there really need to be? A lot of the "urbanist" points and arguments are bullshit formed out of half-truths and inaccurate studies.
>>
>>1824346
Weed

Believe it or not weed crops have been huge issues with water simply due to how much they consume and give nothing to food.
>>
>>1820634
commieblocks are based, NYC projects would be an ironically good neighbourhoods if there were less black people and the government didn't actively remove funding from them for decades
>>
>>1811932
Electric buses truly are a scam. If you want electric buses then install trolley poles and fuck stupid nimbyism and muh trolley wires are ugly karens.

If you want clean buses then build hybrids preferably with a cng engine.
>>
File: 507_3.jpg (27 KB, 381x306)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>1825579
i live in a commieblock
>awkward floor plan
>small area considering the number of rooms
>low ceiling height (250-270 cm)
>poor noise and heat insulation
>immovable walls
>when someone drills the entire building has a headache
>toilet and bathroom windowless, connected
>ugly

The only positives is when they're really in a organized green area full of trees (unless the co-op decides to turn it into a giant parking lot) But you know, this is achievable with better quality housing units too
>>
>>1811933
What would /g/ - programming and consumer electronics want with this?
>>
>>1825830
equally, what does "/n/ - zip tie a shopping basket to a front rack on a rusty 90s MTB" want with it?
>>
File: 1589563043451.jpg (172 KB, 850x478)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
Old is bwtter because….. it just is OKAY
>>
>>1814790
>more silent
made me laugh
>no exhaust emissions
neither do electric buses
>just as flexible as a bus if you give them like 50 km autonomy on batteries
oops, there goes your first point!
>vehicles are cheaper than buses
not necessarily true
>can give it its own ROW
defeats the point

Not to mention that they are more unreliable, overhead wires are visually polluting, and are markedly less flexible than buses.
>>
File: 1616885776140.jpg (19 KB, 400x400)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>1816791
>In Ontario there is a 2 year backlog to try to get your license
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>1814708
who came up with the idea that
>oh if we build more lanes, people will just want to move further away and make their commutes longer
because its one of the more retarded things I've heard in my life
>>1818237
he's a poof
>>
>>1823284
>continue consuming
yes, I will. until every last drop is sucked out. hopefully that happens sooner rather than later so we can finally see modern-day sodom and gomorrah destroyed
>>
>>1825854
This but unironically
>>
>>1818237
>>1818334
He also does too many little non-sequitur takes/jokes, which is a sign of low self-confidence
>>
>>1825859
Not him but the overhead wires give the route some permanence, which is something that bus routes lack, and development along the corridor can be assured that service will continue for a long time.

You also spare the cost of installing rails, which is absurd now, most tram systems in the US cost a hundred million dollars per mile to install.
>>
>>1813094
This guy gets it. Acting like it is urban vs suburban gets us nowhere. You can have suburbs with elements of urbanism and it can be very convenient with multiple ways to get to a place than just one.
>>
>>1825992
>Not him but the overhead wires give the route some permanence, which is something that bus routes lack, and development along the corridor can be assured that service will continue for a long time.
Not even rails give the route permanence. Sure the route is set but it doesnt mean the service wont be suspended on a whim. At the same time it removes flexibility of a bus
>>
>>1811932
Any thread that's not a bike thread is cool to me.
>>
>>1814316
Literally everything you said about nationalization and viable destinations applies entirely to the interstate highways system lmao
>>
>>1811932
What do you mean rise? Everything else collapsed. Its the same shit as sensationalist headlines, if the opinion doesn't either scare you or bring you smug self satisfaction it doesn't get nearly as many clicks and thus is down ranked so it never gets any more clicks.
This is a universal social media problem.
>>
>>1813094
I am not going to buy an attached house
>>
File: Cabbagetown_houses.jpg (53 KB, 440x292)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>1828732
I will. They're quite cozy.
>>
>>1828732
You don't have to, you can go and buy a farm house in a rural community with 10 acres of land.
>>
>>1828733
There’s something cozy about the nearly touching houses that were built in rural towns in the 1900s-1950s. You can see these in Winchester, VA (the town was rural when these houses were built, but it’s becoming increasingly a suburb of DC) around the Old Town.
>>
File: file.png (904 KB, 1086x688)
904 KB
904 KB PNG
>>1828744
I always thought that semi-detached style was retarded because if you ever need to do significant maintenance you have like 1m of space tops to work with
>>
>>1813954
why? that one is good tho.
>>
>>1812208
No he is actually somehow a fairly handsome lad with a good jawline, post your physique bitch
>>
>>1828744
Why does Virginia get all the cool urbanism around their old towns while Montgomery and Prince George's are sprawling hell holes that are just getting around to doing urbanism right?
>>
>>1829351
shut up adam
>>
>>1812800
Trolley buses are combing streetcars and buses, but only using the worst aspects of either. Lower capacity due to bus length, but limited mobility and route length due to cables. They make sense in heavy traffic downtown avenues where changing lanes might be advantageous, but anywhere else? No.
>>
>>1829463
They are a lot more efficient than ev buses
>>
>>1813335
>netherlands
Size of new hampshire, vehicles prohibitively expensive due to fuel costs and taxes
>North America
Literally an entire continent, one of the largest fuel producers and exporters while also being the largest importers.

Like I get it, I want my city to be better for walking, but it's just apples to oranges. Amsterdam is a city where space was extremely limited before the automobile was invented, and so public transit was adopted as it made the most sense. LA is barely 200 years old, and wasn't built up much until after WWII, when every citizen wanted to have a white picket fence and a car.

I understand the appeal of trains to cities and all the other arguments for public transit, but if I own a car, gas is $3.50 a gallon and I don't like minorities. The choice is simple, especially since downtowns are largely occupied by joggers still.
>>
File: 757553.png (442 KB, 3300x2550)
442 KB
442 KB PNG
>>1825295
We do. We got so good at farming, we tried to terraform ancient deserts by redirecting rivers. Spain became a dilapidated shithole after it dried up, but the US will just move more rivers.
>>
>>1829465
IC buses are even more efficient.
>>
>>1825648
Facts. How much are these pro battery bus shills paid by Big Lithium?
>>
>>1829468
>Tennessee map
>white over east mountains
>"corn don't grow at all on Rocky Top, ground's too rocky by far. that's why all the folks on Rocky Top get their corn from a jar"
>>
File: high speed rail.png (849 KB, 1260x702)
849 KB
849 KB PNG
just build high speed rail bro its that simple bro just build high speed rail in these big cities i found on a map bro buld high speed rail JAPAN high speed rail build high speed rail map showing cities linked by high speed rail build high speed rail
>>
>>1830976
>yeah yeah politics and geography, whatever, i'm sure they'll think of something - but wait, what if they just built all their trains and train stations the same (but not TOO the same)?
>remember to subscribe for more amazing brain genius insights like these
>>
>>1830976
>>1830978
I will now subscribe to your channel unironically RM Transit thanks for the info.
>>
>>1831221
don't be like that. i find it annoying that a channel that purports to be all about 'insight' and 'analysis' has neither insight nor analysis at all. in fact, you could distil his entire channel down into two types of video: narrated wikipedia articles, and 18-minute 'rail is good, i think they should build rail between these cities' talking-head videos.

the guy's a moron. like it sounds mean - unpleasant, even - but given how opinionated our friend is, i'm just going to say it. he's a blowhard and, i don't blame him for preaching to the choir for youtube money, but i blame him for being dishonest while doing so.
>>
>>1832498
same impression. he brings nothing to the table.
>>
File: file.png (64 KB, 755x273)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
>>1832500
i feel bad about calling him a moron lol. like whatever i call him the guy's clearly enthusiastic, and i like & respect that ... but then i'm looking at his videos and blogposts and i'm thinking, 'why aren't you asking 'why''? any idiot with a webcam can point at bad things and say 'these things are bad, they should do my thing instead'.

i think his channel would be more compelling - to me, at least - if he were to look into why things are the way they are, then draw a line from there to where he thinks things should be instead. it'd need original research, and it'd require courage to 'do politics' with an audience that, let's face it, is probably just watching in order to be flattered - but otherwise he's just some weeb with overinflated opinions.
>>
what did you like, specifically, about the LCD wayfinding in your weeb pilgrimage, reece? how would this be an improvement over the existing whatever-it-is system aboard toronto buses? is it realistic to think your proposed improvements could happen? if not, what do you think is stopping this from happening? - and so on.
>>
still better than american youtubers crying about public transit projects in their and other countries because "they arent profitable"
>>
>>1832513
The problem with him is that he expects big changes to happen all at once, and if it doesn't happen immediately, he complains about the tiniest of things on Twitter. He, and a lot of urbanist YouTubers don't understand that changing the transportation culture of a city takes decades to fix. Reece wasn't here when the St.Clair streetcar was upgraded to have its own lane, and it created a huge political fight that lasted nearly a decade. If he talked more, and done research about the politics of transit planning in Ontario, he would understand why boroughs like Scarborough & Etobicoke are so hostile with infrastructure upgrades in Old Toronto. They wanted subways, and transit; they never got it until now.
>>
>>1821711
so it would be okay if whites and non-whites had separate trains/busses?
>>
>>1813501
1.8k subs

literally who
>>
>>1834475
no i'm sure the frogposter linking a lolbert "diss video" with several wojacks in the thumbnail, is totally on the level and has a normal brain
>>
>>1811962
you just described what i do unconsciously all the time
>>
>>1813569
this is genuinely one of the worst papers I have ever read. First of all the guy writing this was fired from his post at cambridge after an investigation determined he had 0 academic integrity nor proper methodology in much of his papers. This guy peddles pseudo science for a living.
In the paper itself, he takes the claim that those who are socially liberal are likely to have higher intelligence, which is true, but then tries to tie this to economic liberals and republicans by citing literal think tank papers from the likes of the cato institute. The worst part though is his methodology, in which his metric for intelligence is literally a fucking 10 question vocabulary test, and then tries to correlate that with social and economic positions as well as identifying as a democrat or republican. This is in no way a rigorous methodology for determining intelligence or even the political standings hes trying to correlate them to, any conclusions drawn from these are completely baseless.
This paper, the author, and most of what he sites is an absolute fucking joke and a parody of what academia has become, practically clickbait tabloid teir shit. Fuck you for making me read this.
>>
>>1834622
but it tells me what i want to hear and thus validates my viewpoint and biases, so, who's to say if it's really good or bad in the end
>>
>>1811932
Adam Something made a lot of good points but is simultaneously an unhinged algo boosted baizuo who can't go 5 minutes without saying something about outlawing private car ownership or something political.
>>
>>1811932
Not all youtubers..but this dude is raging all holy anti musk homo. If you watch his videos the problem lies with you, unless you're 13 yo with retarded worldview (which to be fair makes the most of elon's fans)

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.