[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 111 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 19th Birthday 4chan!

File: Cessna-Aircraft.jpg (183 KB, 1920x1500)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>
>>1808261
Yes.
>>
No.
>>
>>1808261
Maybe.
>>
I don't know, can you repeat the question?
>>
>>1808261
long story short: no.
yes, cruising with autopilot might seem easier but you still have to communicate with ATC, watch the weather, navigate though airspaces and so on. And good landing is harder than anything you'd do in a car. Controlling a machine in 6 DoF is just so much more complex than 2 DoF of a car.
>>
>>1808261
sure, why not? Landing a plane now, that's the more important part and I'm sure it's helluva lot harder than parking a car.
>>
>>1808261
Yes, it's easier and you can get your license younger. I soloed before I drove a car, which I always thought was weird. Driving in the city is hell. Traffic, narrow streets, constant obstacles, tons of road signs, careless pedestrians, lane changing, merging, 360 checks and fucking parking.
I'm ok at flying. I suck at driving. My brain just won't work with it for some reason.

>t. certified PPL pilot
>>
>>1808383
>I suck at driving. My brain just won't work with it for some reason.
Same. I'm too autistic.
>>
>>1808261
not really no.
>>
>>1808261
yes
>>
>>1808327
*presses*
>>
>turn key in ignition, move prndl and go
vs
>preflight, before start, start, after start, before takeoff checklists
and that's just to get going. Yeah you have less shit to hit in the sky but if you fuck up even a little you can't just pull over like bethany after popping the curb and fucking her suspension
>>
>>1809081
driving a car
>obstacles, signs, traffic lights, pedestrians, animals, other cars, trucks, scooters, bikes

flying a plane
>oh no turbulence plane is going to shake for a few minutes! very very scary! omg a bird!
>>
>>1809164
>obstacles, signs, traffic lights, pedestrians, animals, other cars, trucks, scooters, bikes
so the same as at the airport
and some of those things even in the air (animals, other planes, other types of aircraft...)
+ ATC + weather + navigation + airspaces + flying the plane. Yeah, I'm thinking driving is much much easier.
>>
>>1809164
what >>1809165 said lol
sure different phases of flight may have lighter workload, compare cruise to highway driving. You still gotta hold heading & alt the same way you gotta hold your lane.
>>
>>1808261
yeah
>>
>>1808261
I find flying much less stressful than driving, unless i'm being assessed or i'm flying with an asshole.
Generally flying a plane is quite easy, all the 'piloting' skills you also need are a little harder but achievable for anyone willing to put the work in, and spend the unholy amount of cashmoney required.
Driving is a whole other story, your experience and safety are entirely dependent on what everyone else around you does. In busy city traffic I feel like it constantly triggers the basic instincts and makes accidents so much more likely. In the air everyone is an emotionless meat popsicle just doing whatever daddy jeppessen put on the charts. Way safer.
>>
>>1808261

Uhm., no.

Cars are more accessible; your employer can't fuck you in the ass if you can't learn to drive to work. She'd have to find somebody close-by to fuck in the ass, and the company would go out of business, plus all the laborers would have to find something to do besides repairing roads and breathing in tar, and we're just not equipped for all of that bullshit right now. It's way easier just to teach everybody how to drive so everybody can continue getting fucked.
>>
File: 1654774608437.jpg (95 KB, 297x374)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>1809081

You dont have to go through all the preflight bullshit if you just assume everything is mint beforehand. Do you know how many CDL truckers actually do their pre-trip before hitting the road? They drive til shit breaks, figure it out, and get it fixed somewhere. It used to be the same way with GA pilots.
>>
File: 1646267466691.jpg (25 KB, 400x400)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>single driver big city driving in bad wx
maybe oughta slow down a tad
>single pilot IFR in class B airspace with bad wx
>>
>>1808327
>DoF
What does that stand for?
>>
>>1811592
degrees of freedom.
in a car you:
- accelarate/brake = first dof
- turn left or right = second dof
in a plane there are 3 axes and you can rotate or move along those so 6 dof total, and you can't exactly stop and thing about what to do next like in a car.
>>
Aww shit my company has coordinated a drive plan for me to go to work in the morning, but dispatcher says that since it's raining, the road is slippery, and my tires were last inspected two months ago, they cannot clear me to enter the highway, too bad.
Flying is absolute hell.
>>
>>1811190
my point is that you still gotta turn on the battery, alternator, mags, fuel pump and lights in a plane whether you use the checklist or not. your average white woman can't even figure out how to put a stick shift in gear
>>
>>1811636
Flying is easy af
>>
>>1813003
t. microsoft flight simulator expert
>>
>>1813009
How many hours do you need to go solo in an aircraft?
You need more training to use a cement mixer.
>>
>>1813054
solo doesn't mean much, it's the equivalent of driving around the parking lot.
>>
>>1813160
that's a good analogy. Until you get your license you can only drive around in the parking lot or go to the stores that you've been to before with your mommy with her express written permission.
>>
>>1808383
I was landing airliners full of people before I could rent a shitbox Kia. It’s weird.
>>
>>1808261
The only hard part about flying is landing.
>>
>>1813372
Still easier than city driving
>>
>>1813739
what the fuck is people's problem with city driving, you're going so slow it's almost impossible to hit anything if you're looking on the road. in doubt? just stop and think about what to do next. nothing could be easier.
>>
>>1808261
Buzzing around in the practice area or a quiet airport is easier. Flying around congested airspace like LA's where you're constantly dodging class Bs and Cs, the radio never stops talking, and you're dealing with swarms of commercial jets right above you and psycho helicopters below you is way harder.
>>
>>1808811
How do these work?
>>
>>1808261
Yes, because with a plane you can land everywhere and just park your plane. With a care you can only park on car ports and then you have a to take a plane to get to your house or work.
>>
>>1813866

They utilize GPS and telemetry data to conduct an approach/landing at the closest airport with established approach vectors. I saw a setup in a Pilatus recently and the pilot said it even makes radio calls for you. He said the auto land system itself cost him 350k.
>>
>>1813803
>what the fuck is people's problem with city driving
Traffic, narrow streets, constant obstacles, tons of road signs, careless pedestrians, lane changing, merging
>>
>>1814475
>oh no, not the lane changing!
I hate zoomers so god damn much
>>
>>1814413
That's more advanced than I thought it was, impressive. I wonder how many times it has been used.
>>
>>1813866
>changes your PFD basically to "don't touch anything, we'll land soon" (so that the passenger doesn't panic)
>sets transponder to emergency code
>selects nearest suitable airport
>tunes radio to said airport frequency
>makes a radio call informing them you'll be landing
>guides the plane for landing (completely automated)
>lands
It's very new and only few airplanes have this, so I don't think it has been actually used yet.
>>
>>1808261
Flying a plane in a big city is neither easier nor more practical that driving a car there.
>>
>>1814565
Depends what you mean by "used," I don't think it's been used in an actual emergency yet but afaik they've tested the hell out of it.
>>
>>1814629
all survived btw
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZc1TdJFAFs
>>
>>1817097
all survived btw
>>
>>1814629
skill issue.
>>
>>1808261
yep
>>
>>1808261
flying is very easy and incredibly simple
the hard parts are landing, take off / start up procedures, maintenance and knowing how to troubleshoot if something does go wrong
>>
>>1818600
also navigation
>>
>>1808383
same
>>
>>1813866
Military drones like the rq7 have had this since the mid 2000s. The only reason it isn't more common is that army enlisted "operate" the rq7 while the air force predator drones are piloted by officers. The air force doesn't want auto land on theirs (the tech exists) since they wouldn't need officers anymore and regular people could do their job. I'm sure these airliners and manufacturers went to keep the same exclusive class of pilots flying their planes.
>>
File: images (5).jpg (4 KB, 225x225)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>1808261
it surely aint. Me not pelut but I can tell you, there are also "roads" you can't go outside in the air, there are airspaces you shall stay in if you don't want a Maverick to come intercept you on his air superiority fighter jet. You also need to communicate to control anything you do. You needa dodge some light turbulence? Say it, you feel like the engine needs more air? Say you gonna increase air mixture. You see something strange in the sky? report to control. And oh boy, the landings are another thing. You have to respect your aircraft's structural limits, if you approach and touch down with too much vertical speed the gear will collapse or your neck crushes under your skull leaving you in a wheelchair for life.

You can also get carsick in the car and just go search a place where to park, if you get dizzy in an aircraft you're gonna have a bad time. Now imagine you are a dumbass and put your plane into a flat spin, you're going to have a hard time pulling rudder to the opposite side of the roll and elevator all the way ahead when you're inside a washing machine.
>>
>>1808261
Well you have to be 18 here to get your driving licence but only 16 for a pilot licence, and you can fly alone (with an instructor on the ground) at age 14. So the government says flying is easier
>>
>>1814475
Imagine being anxious over a fucking lane change lmao
>>
>>1814629

This is why I don't like single engine planes. If the engine conks out, you are totally screwed.
>>
>>1821513

>If the engine conks out, you are totally screwed

planes have wings you know
>>
>>1821491
shart in mart
>>
>>1821061
All military UAVs have lost link systems, retard. Air Force has officers flying Reapers, because they those drones can shoot.
>>
>>1811190
>You dont have to go through all the preflight bullshit if you just assume everything is mint beforehand
if you're a commercial pilot and skip the preflight checks you should go to jail desu
>>
>>1821491
>Imagine being anxious over a fucking lane change lmao
>>
>>1808261
only because there isn't many of them. i wouldn't want to see what happens if the average car driver started using a plane instead
>>
>>1822862
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2FyItES2WM
>LA drivers spends 100 hours in bumper-bumper conditions last year, that's like spending more then four days sitting in rush hour traffic
>>
>>1823498
Wow, their commute is probably nearly as long as the average transit rider’s.
>>
>>1818601
how, youre going in a straight line with no obstacles?
>>
>>1813803
how do you stop in traffic?
>>
this argument is retarded and one sided, but I'll go ahead and add that driving is always done visually. Pylotes aren't even looking out the windshield depending on the type of flight plan
>>
As a former flight instructor, people either "have it" or don't when it comes to flying. If you have any decent amount of hand-eye coordination and some level of task management it's quite easy. For others though it's completely hopeless and could never even solo after 100 hours. These people can drive around in the city just fine though.
>>
>>1824555
this
>>
>>1823587
Sometimes. I fly in the Boise area which means I need to navigate around mountain ranges and other no fly zones (military). Navigating around weather systems adds more complexity.
>>
>>1823587
they're called mountains
lots of airplane parts are casually scattered on the peaks of mountains all over the planet
>>
>>1822862
You're a pussy if you can't handle that. "But muh anxiety..." shut up.
>>
>>1808261
every one of my friends was able to take off and land in a small plane in flight sim on their first try, so yes. of course i dont hang out with random retards who go to the club every weekend so who knows.
>>
>>1808261
20 bike threads and this lonely aircraft thread. So sad.
>>
>>1824567
This makes me weird, because some of the planes I've flown make me feel like I absolutely "have it" (DA40 in particular) while others make me feel hopeless. I feel like I really missed out by not trying to be a military pilot when I was young enough, planes with sensitive, direct controls like the Diamond feel incredibly natural to me, while ones with sloppy yokes I have to wrench around like in a 172 are clumsy as fuck. Maybe I should be flying helicopters instead.
>>
>>1826243
>This makes me weird,
makes me feel weird, I mean
>>
>>1808261
Driving isn't difficult but scary and stressful af. Flying is less stressful.
>>
>>1826273
how come I'm not scared or stressed by driving?
>>
>>1826538
Maybe driving is your cup of tea
>>
>>1826561
I don't know anybody who's scared or stressed by driving, but I know many people who FEAR flying, some won't even get on a plane. Ever seen somebody refuse to enter a car? I didn't.
>>
>people have an irrational assessment of risk
Water is wet.
>>
>>1813866
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyYxbiZ1FCQ
>>
>>1826674
I've seen plenty of people refuse to get into cars. Usually those are police operated vehicles, though.
>>
>>1808261
unironically yes
>>
>>1808383
This, I'd rather take a 172 through IMC than to drive in peak hours in a big city
>>
>>1823587
You'd be surprised how easy it is to crash into another plane without proper navigation skills, almost did it on my first flight, and it wasn't even a crowded airspace.
>>
>>1828317
aviation GPSs of recent only show traffic with ADS-B out, which is a somewhat new technology for GA and your average boomer in his 60's 152 or taylorcraft or cub whatever flying out of an untowered airport will NOT have it, its up to the PIC for "see and avoid", as well as following altitude rules for east/west travel

also almost had this happen, was climbing out and passing an untowered airport, I was climbing to 5500 going east, and at 5200 a 152 pops up out of nowhere and crosses my path about 100 feet below me going north, had I been climbing slower, or leveled off at 5000, or whatever, I would've been a midair statistic, he wasn't on UNICOM, he wasn't on my ADSB, and center didn't even spot him until he was a mile away (I had flight following)
>>
test
>>
>>1808261
Yes
>>
File: 2950436028_cf9d613f25_b.jpg (131 KB, 1024x768)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>1826674
>>1827133
I don't mind driving as a one-off chore if I have no other choice, but getting into a car driven by someone else does not make me happy at all. I recently had a friend negotiate a seat for me in someone else's car to get home from a vacation area several hours out of town and I expressed appreciation and went along so as to not let anyone lose face, because hey riding in a car is a rare treat right? But it was uncomfortable and stressful to sit in a lurching metal box the whole time when I could have been sprawled across multiple seats in a picrel while shitposting from my home VPN server to avoid the range ban on tmobile. If he does that again we're going to have a talk.
>>
>>1808261
>travel into cloud without training
>die
'no'
>>
>>1813803
they're too afraid to assert themselves and change lanes when the roads are packed
>>
>>1808327
You don’t need to talk to ATC provides you’re flying VFR, not using a towered airport and stay out of certain airspace..
>>
>>1808327
>And good landing is harder than anything you'd do in a car.

A good landing in a basic bitch Cessna (or really anything unless you're landing during a hurricane or something) is not harder than reacting to and avoiding someone running a redlight that's on trajectory to t-bone you. Only extreme aerobatics or dogfighting could dethrone that skill level.
>>
>>1830021
So nothing practical when it comes to flying? Technialy true, but not at all a useful conclusion
>>
>>1818600
Yes, a good way to describe the difficulty level of flying is that flying itself is very easy, but everything surrounding it is why pilots get paid the big bucks.
>>
The only difficult part of flying is the archaic technologies they still use
>>
File: 1-small.jpg (155 KB, 700x1179)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>1808261
Flying requires much more knowledge. Navigation is more difficult than on the road. It's especially difficult to read Jeppesen charts.
>>
File: stem-2.jpg (558 KB, 1207x805)
558 KB
558 KB JPG
>>1830643
>navigation on the road
turn left, turn right or continue straight
>navigation in the air
pic related

gee I wonder which is 10x more complex and demanding
>>
File: laughingpilots.jpg (26 KB, 401x331)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>1830696
>Press D->
>Input destination airport
>Drink until you pass out
>Wake up at 200ft and lower aircraft onto tarmac

There will always be a pilot.
>>
>>1830643
>>1830696
Nobody uses this shit, everyone just puts shit in their in-dash GPS and talks to the tower when they get near a busy airspace. Even before GPS the VOR system was pretty easy to use. Only dead reckoning is a bitch to be accurate with, but in those days you had a designated navigator for long flights.

And let's not forget that road maps look daunting until you dissect it and break it down. Nothing in aircraft navigation compares to having batshit crazy intersections of like 5 major roads in a small area with exits that require going across 5+ lanes of traffic with lots of cars at all hours that don't understand how merging works and think they're racing you for position.

The only time flying is intense/stressful is during landing at a busy airport due to sheer number of stuff going on or during inclement weather which most GA airplanes shouldn't encounter.
>>
File: sddefault.jpg (25 KB, 640x480)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>1830755
>exits that require going across 5+ lanes of traffic
oh look it's the zoomer who's scared of lane changes again
>>
>>1830832
Bud, YOU try changing over 5 lanes when you enter on the left and the exit you need is like a couple hundred feet all the on the right and no one wants to let you merge. It would be different if people actually understood traffic flow and didn't try to race to close every possible gap as you try to exit. And no, I'm not a fucking zoomer, but I recognize an accident waiting to happen when I see it.
>>
>>1830963
I feel like you're being insincere so I won't write a wall of text, but in a car, you can always pull into another street and do a U-turn and reorient yourself without breaking any laws or incurring a possible pilot deviation.
Even if said U-turn was illegal, and you got caught, you won't be forced to retake your driving test and have the possibility of your license being taken because you didn't satisfy your check flight proctor.
>>
>>1821513
>you are totally screwed.
Not totally you can glide and land if there is flat field available. But yeah its tough, only one attempt, no call off landing and going for the next attempt, no engine power to correct low approach.
>>
>>1827585
this
>>
>>1808261
There are no pedestrians, markings, signs, potholes in the air.
>>
>>1835113
>potholes in the air

Yeah, but there is wind shear, up and down drafts, storm clouds (and you can't just slow down a lot like in a car), etc.
>>
>>1831896
You're talking about FAA autism the way it is written now, not what it could be or specific to the difficulty in piloting said plane.

This is like people that clamor for high speed rail citing that you have to arrive long before a flight when traveling by air when the real problem with current plane travel is inefficient security checkpoints that take too long.

And, for the record, some small town cop will ticket anyone for anything all the time anyway and it could require going to a class to get the ticket removed. Also, for the record, IMO I think the FAA is too strict and car enforcement too lenient, we need something in-between for both of them. Too many retards in cars and too much power tripping autism from ATC/FAA.
>>
File: 4FFC4A864.gif (1.23 MB, 400x299)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB GIF
>>1808326
>>
File: Pilot Babe.jpg (176 KB, 1280x1747)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>1830565
If you're talking about VOR I agree, but most everything else is pretty simple to use as long as you know what you're doing.

>>1808261
During cruise, flying is marginally easier than driving on a highway, but even the simplest of approaches and landings are harder than driving in a big city, at least in terms of the skill and knowledge required to do it. It is true that driving in a city is more dangerous and possibly more stressful depending on how good of a driver/pilot you are.
>>
>>1821513
A lot of small planes these days have a parachute button if for some reason you forgot how to land after take off
>>
>>1821545

Most general aviation planes have glide ratio of 10 or under and don't fly all that high (generally within 2000m above terrain).

Meaning if you're 1000m up, you WILL make a contact with the ground within ten kilometers. And it's up to the pilot where and how.
>>
>>1813866
>>
>>1838427
Source? I've never seen that before.
>>
File: brs_parachute.jpg (288 KB, 1599x1056)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
>>1838976
It's called a ballistic parachute
>>
>>1821513
Or if you fly in a twin engined airplane you should know that you have double the chance to lose an engine and that most of the performance disappears the very second you have a problem with one of the two powerplants.
>>
>>1830643
Jepp charts are so much easier than FAA shit it's not even funny. Try flying for a living lmao.
>>
>>1839228
IIRC twins even have higher death rate at engine failure than single engine airplanes. Vmc rolls and all that.
>>
>>1838255
Landing is easier than parallel parking
>>
>>1814475
>lane changing, merging
How exactly is this a problem?
>>
>>1808261
theres alot more you have to learn but after that YES
i fucking hate driving in the city its the most overwhelming complex unintuotive stressful backwards shit in the world
>>
>>1808261
No but its roughy 6,000,000 times more fun
>>
File: IMG_2036.jpg (480 KB, 3024x4032)
480 KB
480 KB JPG
>>1821513
Why do you need an engine? Learn to thermal.
>>
>>1830643

>ILS in GA
>>
>>1811600
>you can't exactly stop and thing about what to do next like in a car

Opposite way around. You can do things like trim and eat an apple.
>>
>>1811600
I pissed into a bottle while flying once. Unfortunately it overflowed the bottle a little. But try doing thar while driving.
>>
>>1813803
City dwellers are fucking retarded. Simple.
>>
>>1840892
>city its the most overwhelming complex unintuotive stressful backwards shit in the world
Retarded zoomer
>>
>>1830322
Is it harder to pull off when you're first learning? Yeah.

Am I ever more scared in a plane than I am driving down the street? Hell no. My car doesn't have a radar or ATC telling me when some psycho is going to impact me at twice my speed.
>>
>>1808261
YES. I just can't fucking focus while driving. Flying is much, much easier.
>>
>>1809164
Turbulence can rip single prop planes apart midair. Also everything >>1809165 said, and that's not mentioning knowing how to respond to sudden critical changes/faults at 15,000 ft in the air lol.
>>
>>1843236
*15,000 used as an exaggeration so as to not set off someone's autism
>>
>>1829840
literally me
>>
>>1841073
I love shooting an ILS approach in a 1964 clapped out already written off twice Cessna 172. That for some god known reason some fucking idiot has decided to put in a g1000 unit which cost more than the shitbox itself.
>>
>>1822862
>interstate in a gaywad city
dont visit cities
>>
flying is harder
driving is more dangerous
>>
>>1845830
>flying is harder
No
>>
>>1808261
>flying a plane
oh no I went off-course by half a mile, I need to correct that really quick
>dirving a car
oh no, I made my turn 0.5s too late and crashed into oncoming traffic 3 feet away, killing 3 people
>>
>>1808261
Driving is much more dangerous and stressful
>>
>>1845830
Flying is much easier than driving in big cities.

t. PPL pilot
>>
>>1847990
more like "t. only ever flown in traffic pattern around his home airport and exclusively in good weather"
>>
>>1821061
Two things:
First, airlines would cut pilots in a heartbeat if they could get away with it.

Second: Auto-land has been in fairly wide spread commercial use since the 1960's. Sometimes systems fail though and, when they do, you do pilot stuff. If GPS coverage drops out or if there is a system malfunction, you can't just flush a multimillion dollar airplane and the 200+ lives on board.

Anecdotally, I've only had a couple of significant system failures, to include GPS, out of thousands of hours in the air but it only takes one to kill a plane load of people.
>>
Flight plan
>>
>>1841134
EZ PZ, press brake pedal until speed is 0, take a piss, then resume.
>>
>>1848064
SCT 6,500 is a no go mate.
>>
>>1808261
I found flying a plane an absolute doddle, there’s no road signs, traffic lights, roundabouts, cyclists, pedestrians, etc.
>>
>>1848127
Lisa needs braces
>>
>>1849634
>there’s no road signs, traffic lights, pedestrians, etc.
you've clearly never been to an airport
>>
>>1808261
The actual flying is much easier. There is literally nothing to hit so you just need to keep the wings level and the compass in roughly the right direction you are heading. This is why planes have had autopilots for half a century already because it is one of the easiest things to do. I know a lot of commercial pilots who failed to learn to drive.
>>
>>1808261

No. If you have a driving license, you can do it. Take it slow and you'll be fine. Having flown a Cessna it's not hard, takeoff is relatively easy when you know v1 and rotate and when you're up there, provided the weather is good, it's a bit like operating a boat that's airborne. But when you want to come down and stabilize it so you land on the centerline like you need to, if there is any gusty winds you'll be praying you'd be in your SUV in NYC.
>>
gg
>>
>>1838976
On a Cirrus is called CAPS.
>>
>indicate
>wait for sufficient space between cars
>change lane / merge
that was hard
>>
>>1825780
Notice he never said anxiety over lane changes, he just said its a problem when driving in the city. Seems like you've got a caricature in your head, rather than actually reading whats on the screen.
>>
>>1808261
Yes, city driving is very hard
>>
>>1851641
Still easier than driving
>>
>>1848067
>it only takes one to kill a plane load of people

This is a common myth perpetuated by people in airline labor unions in order to avoid having to think hard. There are already systems which could fail catastrophically. When an aircraft is certified the designers have to justify why the failure is unlikely. Flying in commercial airliners (in the US) is very safe, so it's working.

The airline pilot is in the best position to interpret all the data on the instruments and all that bullshit, then he makes decisions based on what the passengers want, what the air traffic controller wants, what the airline company wants. Why would you replace him with a computer? A computer cannot even know which restaurant I want to eat at, despite having a fucking botnet. Why would it be qualified to decide whether to fly my grandma through a rain shower? That's like taking someone to a computer AI doctor's appointment. Except unlike doctors, most airline pilots are dumb as rocks. Anyway, like many idiotic persistent myths, it's only somewhat related to truth -- people scared to die, people feel better with Tom Hanks in the front seat. Once more people get to fly themselves, they'll stop giving a fuck.
>>
>>1848067

>Airlines would cut pilots in a heartbeat if they could get away with it.

No they wouldn't. The airline exists because people delegate the responsibility in order to fly. People delegate because most people are not exposed to those kinds of risky activities, they don't know how to mitigate risks, and it makes them uncomfortable.

The airlines and the fucking pilots are one and the same. As air mobility gets bigger, the airlines will find themselves in a similar situation to oil companies -- either they adapt or they become irrelevant. Maybe airline pilots will become fucking tour guides or some shit. I guess corporate pilots manage a bunch of trip-related logistics stuff already.
>>
>>1841072
Based
>>
>>1808261
Yes and I hate city driving. It's always difficult and stressful.

t. pilot
>>
>>1808261
Flying it, yes, landing it, no.
>>
>>1808261
Try flying a prop plane in "moderate" turbulence and you'll gain an appreciation of traveling by car or in a plane capable of flying in the stratosphere. Bonus: need to piss really badly while flying in "moderate" turbulence.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.