[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 102 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Good enough for artic, good enough for burning man edition

POST A PICTURE OF THE BIKE
And/or a link to the bike

Share your
>Height
>Budget
>Intended riding

POST A PICTURE OF THE BIKE

previous: >>1797153
>>
>>1808014
Would you?

"57cm Lemond Buenos Aires featuring Reynolds 525 tubes throughout and a carbon fork set. It comes with the original Shimano 105 8X3 (triple) group set and Mavic CXP-21 wheels, which run smooth and true on 105 hubs. Includes very lightly used Michelin Power Road Endurance tires (700X25mm). Stock Cinelli XE 120 mm stem and 44cm Cinelli bar give the bike a classic look. I estimate that the bike was ridden less than 300 miles per year - it has a lot of life in it and is ready to ride as is. The frame has a degree of rust in the area of the chain stay bridge from fender use, and on some bolts and cable tension adjusters. Bring your own pedals."
>>
>>1808015
Actually looks pretty good.
>>
File: IMG_20220605_141426.jpg (2.45 MB, 3952x1872)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
I got two free bikes off craiglist. A Schwinn classic and a Lotus. How much do you think they are worth?
>>
File: IMG_20220605_142538.jpg (2.32 MB, 3952x1872)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
>>1808021
Here is the Lotus.
>>
>>1808021
>Schwinn classic
My mistake Schwinn Continental*
>>
>>1808021
>>1808023
That schwinn looks like scrap metal, sell it as is for $15.

The lotus would sell for $75 with a modicum of tuning and cleaning. Probably closer to $125 with some new tires and a full stripdown & regrease.

At least according to my markets
>>
File: c o l n a g o.jpg (1.64 MB, 3246x2434)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>1808021
>>1808023
>non driveside pics
>>
>>1808021
>downtube shifters
>centerpulls
>(fillet brazing??)

that schwinn is not a complete piece of shit though there are zero sellable or desirable parts on it and the huge steerer on the swapped fork and atax-style old quill are hilariously sketchy.

>worth
free was about right
you should set a tight <$60 consumables budget and put a huge amount of effort in and get it riding then probably lose money selling it

>>1808023
>chrome fork ends
>alloy post
this one's gorgeous. get some turtle wax for it. Clean it really well first. Convert to 1x7 with a indexed shifter on the bars. Get some new tanwalls. Sell it to a cute girl also probably at a loss.
>>
>>1808015
I wouldn't. It's a nice bike but i hate the lemond graphics and that matte grey 105 group. The paint color is nice and i bet it rides nice though. Also there are a lot of 853 lemonds out there so getting a basic one would kinda feel like cuckoldry
>>
>>1808088>>1808015

Didn't say the price but it's listed for $300

Word I think I will buy it for my Dad's friend if it works nice. I bet it rides like a dream even if it's mid-tier steel. He wants a road bike just for rail trails and short daily rides. It looks beautiful to me.
>>
>>1808086
I like it despite being a "ladies bike". The front wheel is bent. Is there a way to fix it or do I just buy a new wheel? The run out is perpendicular to the axis.
>>
File: 1643411167582.jpg (1.14 MB, 1600x1067)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>Height
6'1
>Budget
$5000
>Intended riding
XC
>>
>>1808148
What's the deal with "ladies' bikes".
Why don't we call them step-through frames? Step-throughs are appealing for when you will mount and dismount frequently or you you're carrying something large on your pannier.
>>
>>1808014
>Height
>Budget
3k yuros but don't want to overspend
>Intended riding
Commuting over bad roads, gravel, in the city and weekend day trips.
Should have quality components, focus is on shimano 105 and GRX.
>>
>>1808360
Buy a huffy
>>
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/d/like-new-57cm-trek-2100-aluminumcarbon/7488658501.html

Is this a good deal?
>>
>>1808974
in theory yes, but consider it's a really old bike, with carbon tubes glued to aluminium lugs, which is something that was briefly done in the past when full carbon frames still weren't a thing. it's bound to become a headache sooner or later, probably the reason the guy is selling it in the first place
that being said I would buy it for the components alone, then sell the bare frameset to some clueless hipster
>>
>>1808992
Well darn, this bike seemed within reason. I am a noob and want a bike for commute and fun on the weekends. I thought this bike fits the need.
Guess I'll have to pass and find something more recent.
>>
>>1809006
not him but it's not about more recent. That glued carbon construction was an esoteric prototype kinda thing. A similiar steel bike from the era would be excellent.

do you want some recs? How tall are you
>>
>>1809038
what do you mean by 'trail bike' that's such a meaningless term

and what price range are you asking about
>>
>>1809027
I don't even know what era that bike is from. I am a noob when it comes to bike. I am 5'7.
>>
>>1809041
you wouldn't even be able to stand over that then. You want a 52 or 54 i think.

sec ill have a look
your market is really good
>>
>>1809041
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/d/san-francisco-miyata-touring-bike/7484099028.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/d/san-francisco-trek-multi-track-720/7484611716.html

These are very sensibly specced, versatile, classic bikes, with a premium on quality parts and a seller who i'm sure will help you with any issues. Would both be excellent buys. They are great -kinds- of bikes.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/d/san-francisco-fixed-gear-road-bike-bob/7488553274.html
You probably don't want a fixed gear bike but this is a REALLY good one. Bob jackson frames are extremely good. The spec is extremely good. If you're the adventurous soul this could be amazing.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/d/54cm-cannondale-criterium-aluminum/7492868257.html
this is another kind of bike that you probably don't want. These are famously stiff/racey, if you want something to go FAST and thrash around on, this is it. No real hill gears and not comfy but these are really good. If you're the sporty type.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/d/san-francisco-1987-bianchi-campione/7483173535.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/d/san-francisco-52cm-centurion-super/7487665032.html
these are esoteric properly vintage choices as proper classic bikes the mechanicals on them will be more difficult to deal with, they're gorgeous and will ride very well, i would suggest these if you're an aesthete and want to learn about classic bikes but actually also would just be great to ride.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/d/san-francisco-1990-specialized/7489215291.html
this is a really nice low mile original condition bike, that probably warrants a full overhaul. Again, if you want an excellent project.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/d/san-francisco-nishiki-updated-vintage/7483441425.html
this is a good budget option for a restored bike, not a project, but it's ugly with all the black parts and i think the project will be to a lower standard
>>
>>1809050
not that anon but thank you based anon you're doing god's work
>>
>>1809044
Marin Pine Mountain. They're really good looking bikes in person.

I kinda don't think bikes with huge tires and suspension make sense in steel though.

also consider memeing it up with a rigid Kona Unit X. Also consider looking used for a high spec TI bike. Those are floating around. Or going custom on something like a Gunnar Rock Hound
>>
>>1809050
am that anon, thank you. you are doing god's work
>>
>>1809067
all good man

post some pics when you get something
you really are spoiled for choice
>>
>>1809070
I will. If you are not busy would you mind checking what is good on the east bay?
>>
File: today.jpg (309 KB, 824x1200)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>1809073
i don't know where that is
>>
does anyone know where/how to find a used bike in Munich for 200-300 euro? i can't figure it out, i just moved here from the states
>>
>>1809569
Look at local bike shops, TUM student board and eBay Kleinanzeigen. Especially the latter should be easy.
>>
File: treefiddy.jpg (1.5 MB, 4328x2788)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
Any other options to consider around $350? I dig the looks of the Triban but I worry it might be a bit challenging on our hills. 1x drivetrains are cool and nice to use, but less so when it's 7 speed. Advising family on a purchase, unfortunately not open to used options.
>>
>>1809925
Steel is real. There is only one solution.
>>
>>1809925
They’re all shit but only the mercier looks good.
>>
What is the shortest amount of gears one can have on their bike? I don't want a single speed, but I also don't want like 12 gears to go through. Can I get get like 3 gears?
I want some kinda road bike type thing but with minimal gears.
>>
>>1809976
Totally depends on where you live and what you're going to do with your bike. If you live someplace hilly, you want a range of gears that lets you pedal efficiently both up and downhill. And even if you live someplace flat, having a small range of gears is helpful if you're going to ride with heavy loads since you want more torque when starting from a dead stop but a higher gear when you're pedaling at speed. 3 gears is a common choice for bikes with internally geared hubs. For derailer gearing 7 is effectively the minimum you'll find in practice these days.
>>
>>1809976
practically speaking nice old road bikes that are 2x7 are perfect, especially with downtube shifters, shifting is very easy to setup and then you don't do it so often. And you can swoop all the way across them with one lever throw.

2x7 isn't 14 gears. It's more like 10 gears.

You can run 1x7 but it won't be smooth in every gear because of the extreme chain angle. That's why 2x7 is 10 gears. You only use the top and bottom 5 gears with each chainring respectively.
1x7 also does not have as good chain retention so you can drop chains riding rough stuff, because a front derailer keeps the chain on.

2x7 might only have 5 gears you routinely use and that's fine. 90s cromo steel downtube shifting 2x7 road bikes are peak bike. If you want IGH retardation look at linuses or other things with nexus hubs.
>>
>>1809981
there are chain retention options for 1Xs
I have a front derailleur on my 1X and the chain very rarely drops. (it did often before i put the chain through a derailleur)
its a 1x9 and the chain doesnt touch the derailleur in any of the cogs when stationary at least.
>>
>>1809982
sure but now we're getting fancy
>>
>>1809986
true enough
>>
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/d/52cm-specialized-allez-aluminum-road/7485805762.html

Is this a good deal?
>>
>>1810001
Already bought it, sorry anon ;-)
>>
>>1810002
then the search continues :<
>>
>>1810003
Make sure to post the next one here too, I promise not to buy it ;-P
>>
>>1810004
gonna have to, I have no idea if the price is fair/decent :<
>>
>>1810001
>thumb button triple shitter
how about you buy one of the good bikes recommended to you
>>
>>1810007
okay :<
>>
Looking for recommendations

>commuting to and from work, likely no more than 6 miles to-and-from
>5'9
>ideally under 500 USD
>>
>>1810231
There's at several entry level bikes from big name brands that come in around that price range. Just need to pick the size that fits you, perhaps 54cm (or M for brands that use that sizing). Giant Escape is probably closest to your budget and the most suitable hybrid. If you up your budget to 600 you find tons of options for MSRP.
>>
>>1810231
i'd buy a used bike
post your local craigslist if you want some recs
>>
>>1809925
The Mercier is made of high tensile steel, so I'd avoid it.
>>
>>1809925
For that price you'd get a much better deal buying used and having a.bike shop giving it a once over. These bikes are all trash.

Look for a $200ish dollar road bike from as early as the 90's with brifters. Post it here and we can help you figure out if it's shit or not. Then use the extra $100 to have a bike shop replace all broken parts and tune it up. You'll have a much nicer bike in the end.
>>
>>1809976
They sell real cheap 3 speed IGH. Well even a 7 speed IGH is cheap. You should check that out, you can probably buy a 700c wheel with a used hub already laced up.
>>
How bad is a bike that is 10% bigger than what I need?
>>
>>1810337
bike fit is complicated
its possibly good even but also possibly totally unworkable
>>
>>1810343
Bike fit is complicated to professional racers and professional retards. Children fit their own bicycles.
>>
>>1810360
nothing about bicycles is complicated or worth discussing but here we are so thats what were doing

just ride is a phrase and a book
>>
>>1810363
What team do you ride for
>>
why buy bike when there are so many bikes laying around
>>
File: GXT-grx810-2x11.jpg (103 KB, 1000x666)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
6 foot, 85kg.
Ride 50/50 road and compacted dirt tracks. Can get muddy in winter, no big rocky areas - South Downs UK

£3499.91
Dolan GXT Titanium Gravel Disc Bike - Shimano GRX RX810 2x11 HDR
Frame Size: GXT Titanium Disc Gravel Frame - 56cm
Fork Option: Dolan GXT Carbon Gravel Adventure Fork (3-Bolt)
Seatpost Option: Alpina 31.6mm Titanium Seatpost (350mm Setback)
Saddle Option: Selle Italia X1 Flow Saddle - Black
Alpina 11/8: Alpina 11/8"x11/2" F35 Headset (Suitable For L'etape-ADX-Disc-Tuono-SL-Rebus-RDX-DR1)
Titanium Seat Clamp H-CLP02 - 34.9mm: Titanium Seat Clamp H-CLP02 - 34.9mm
GXT Axle Kit - Frame/Fork: GXT Axle Kit - Frame/Fork
Adjustable Fork Expander: Adjustable Fork Expander
Chainset Size: GRX RX810 2x11 Chainset-170mm 48/31T
Cassette Size: Shimano CS-HG800 Cassette - (11-34T)
GRX RD-RX810 - (34T) Rear Derailleur: GRX RD-RX810 - (34T) Rear Derailleur
GRX FD-RX810-F Front Derailleur: GRX FD-RX810-F Front Derailleur
Shimano GRX ST-RX810 HDR Shift Levers: Shimano GRX ST-RX810 HDR Shift Levers
Shimano GRX BR-RX810 Calipers: Shimano GRX BR-RX810 Calipers
Shimano Ice Freeza Disc Rotor RT800 CL - 160mm(Front) -140mm(Rear): Shimano Ice Freeza Disc Rotor RT800 CL - 160mm(Front) -140mm(Rear)
KMC X11 11spd Chain: KMC X11 11spd Chain
Shimano BB72 Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB72 Bottom Bracket
Handlebar/Stem Model: Deda Gravel 100 Handlebar/Stem
Handlebar Size: Deda Gravel 100 (Alloy) (46cm - Outside-Outside) Handlebars
Stem Size: Deda Zero 100 (9cm) Stem
Handlebar Tape: Deda Loop Handlebar Tape - (POB - Polish on Black)
Pedals: Shimano PD-EH500 SPD Touring Dark Grey Pedals
Wheelset: Mavic Allroad Disc Wheelset
Tyre Type: Tubeless
Tyre Option: Panaracer GravelKing SK TLC Folding 700x35c Tyre
£3499.91
>>
>>1808014
someone pls recommend something reliable for a very hilly city with shit pothole-filled roads.
5'7
£400
I intend to do many miles so pls take that into account.
>>
File: TRIBAN RC100.png (3.47 MB, 1457x1187)
3.47 MB
3.47 MB PNG
thoughts on the Triban RC100?
context: just need a bike for "casual" riding in a flat city, basically.
the two main reasons I'm looking at that one in particular is:
>1st
frame size. I'm a third worlder and here is borderline impossible to find speed/road bikes for someone taller than 1.85cm. I'm 190cm (6'3) and this is quite literally the only one I've found.
>2nd
price. It's quite cheap, and while it does get some good reviews I know top quality can't be expected.
So, should I do it bros?
>>
File: yay_or_nay.jpg (163 KB, 720x960)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
how's that for a flip bike? seller asks for 110 euros, "can haggle" and he wasn't able to sell it for one and a half months
>>
>>1811038
Seems like the vast majority of people who bought Tribans seem happy with theirs, which is understandable given the competitive price. If you're looking exclusively at new bikes you could do much worse.
>>
>>1810316
Good point. Kind of wonder why so many cheap bikes do Hi-Ten forks still. Is Cro-Moly that much more expensive? It's certainly better.

>>1810330
Thanks for the suggestion but I've already done that. Took a nice vintage road bike what'd seen better days and put a $50 dollar pair of Tourney brifters on it. Just looking for some collective minds to help my

Fortunately I've spoke with the person in question and convinced them to up their budget. A fitness hybrid seems like an okay fit - specifically a Fuji Absolute 1.9. It has discs (mechanical, but still), AlexRims wheels, a 2x8 drivetrain. The other thing would be a Brand-X road bike from Chain Reaction. Yeah it'd cost a lot to have it shipped but still cheaper than most entry level bikes from big brands here.

Unfortunately they've seemed to latch onto the idea of front suspension.
>>
>>1811038
you probably couldn't go wrong with it, people equate decathlon to shartmart which is nonsense, it's light years ahead,

I have a personal problem with that particular model though, they really done fucked up with the stupid BSO shifter on the flat part of the handlebars. A bar end friction shifter would have been perfect for this. the dork disks, bell and reflectors upset me too.
>>
>>1811099
>shifter on the flat part of the handlebars
I realize it can be quite a pain for people who ride more seriously and/or in places with lots of altitude variations. I'll mostly ride on the city which has flat asphalt, I doubt I'll be changing it enough for it to ruin the ride.
>dork disks
what's that? sorry
>bell and reflectors
yeah, really bad but easy to take them off.
>>
Interested in this cannondale. anyone know what model is it? its listed for $600 is that in the ballpark of what its worth?
>>
>>1811188
>>
>>1811188
I think it's a 2008 synapse which is an entry level endurance road bike.
likely has some unfortunate spec with the shitty thumb button shifters and less tire clearance than it should have. Probably a reasonably ok bike but entry level, outdated, and really quite old now. Price depends on condition

are the brake tracks on the wheels worn out? Are all the bearings smooth? What shape are the chain/cassette/chainrings in? Are the tires good ?
does it shift brake smoothly, ie, does it need a re-cable?

Either way the price is WAY too high. I doubt the seller would move to something reasonable either. An entry level road bike from 15 years ago isn't worth close to $600.
>>
File: Image 40.png (956 KB, 1526x567)
956 KB
956 KB PNG
>>1811191
thanks, looks like its the girl version anyway
gonna keep looking
>>
>>1811201
Girls bikes are the same as mens bikes but different aesthetics
>>
>>1811208
not a fag or a tranny but the 'girls bike' colorschemes often are the nicer ones imo

>>1811201
girls bikes also have smaller sizes and often they scale components too like you'll get shorter cranks and narrower bars so if you're a smol man those things also are good and very rarely but sometimes they will have girls geometary (women have longer legs and shorter arms like a t-rex) but it's not to the extent where you can't just run a slightly longer stem and have the same mans fit.
>>
>>1811212
Nothing as cheap as he’s looking at is going to have different components because it reduces the company’s bulk buying discount. Agreed on the colour schemes lel
>>
>>1811201
That era of sora had gimped STI shifters which didn't have the two paddles but had this shitty little thumb button.

That plus an indexed triple which is another stupid thing that doesn't exist anymore make that era and spec of entry level bike highly undesirable.

I wouldn't recommend paying more than $200 for a bike like that.
>>
>>1811214
$600 on the used market can get you a high spec bike and if he's sizing it right and he is a manlet he should be considering womens models like yeah what i just explained doesn't matter, normally isn't true, and he doesn't have to know that but i'm just sayin it
>>
>>1811216
I like your posts with currently-irrelevant-but-useful-tomorrow details I was just saying that he’s looking at cheap stuff. You’re one of the good posters. You, 90s mtb man, inner bar end shill and the guy with the knife handle shifter are the good guys of /n/
>>
File: 1499269406640.jpg (73 KB, 900x542)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
same anon as >>1810337 with the oversize bike. I went and rode 12 mi with it and my hands got sore. Will I get used to it?
>>
>>1811256
I get this issue sometimes. I don't think my bike is too large for me, but I am on the shorter side of the appropriate for it. Considering picking up some padded gloves for longer rides. However as I'm still pretty new I believe there's a greater degree of adaption my body (in this case hands) can still achieve. Kind of like lifting - you get callouses a lot when you don't know how to grip bars or whatever properly and when you have soft skin.
>>
>>1811256
That might be the issue if your arms are hyper extending. You're supposed to have a bend in your elbows on a bike, as that will act to absorb shock. Your back is supposed to be arched, but if your arms hyper extend and lock to reach the bars the reach is too much and that might give you sore hands.
You can decrease the reach on your bike without getting a different one.

The probably issue is that you're gripping too hard. And that your upper body generally is too stiff. You're supposed to grip the bars loose. You might also not have your saddle at the correct height and not be pedalling enough. A proper effort will support your body on a bike and make you comfortable.

Thicker/nicer bartape and gloves or, lower pressure/ suppler tires can help but really it's probably form.
>>
>>1809925

Just ordered a motobecane fantom cross uno, I'll let you know what its like, plan to just replace all the parts eventually over the years and when I get to the point I have all high end parts I can just buy a high end frame.
>>
File: ebike.jpg (530 KB, 1080x945)
530 KB
530 KB JPG
Hopefully not unrelated.
What kind of things should I look for or avoid when buying a bicycle if I plan to eventually convert the bike into an e-bike? Should I avoid aluminium frame bikes? Is the frame form factor important? Are some bikes just not compatible?

How hard is it to convert a regular bicycle into an e-bike? Is it even worth it?
Pic related, it's some anon's cool bike.
>>
File: e21f3.png (508 KB, 984x603)
508 KB
508 KB PNG
Poseidon Trition
>Carbon blade fork
>microSHIFT R9 & R10 derailleurs (2x10)
>microSHIFT Centos brakes and shifters
>699 USD

What's the catch? Is there one? The people who shit on microSHIFT are just meming right? I've heard more hate for Tourney. One of my local shops still has Fuji Sportif 2.5s and that's a very similar price and what it would be up against.
>>
>>1811518
Microshift is fine. I've heard pretty good things about triban but I've never ridden one. When you order this you're gonna need to assemble and tune it to have it work right. A shop would do it for like $50-75. Just keep that in mind.
>>
Where to buy a new steel fixie?
>>
Id like to commute to school next year on bike. I live ~15 miles away and theres some pretty large hills on the way.
Id like to keep it below $500 if possible and maybe have a rack or something on the back. Are there any brands i should look into or stay away from? Bikes are a lot more complicated then i initially thought.
>>
>>1811751
let's talk more about that commute, what kind of 15 miles? Mostly slow dense urban roads or high speed suburban stroads? Now about that hill, how large is pretty large?
>>
>>1811747
budget?
>>
>>1811751
15 miles without hills is not close. It's doable but you want something efficient/fast.

that's a small budget for a new bike
an endurance road bike or touring bike would be the ideal thing but they are out of your price range.
What you're looking at new is a hybrid. What you can get depends on what is locally available in shops.
You want:
>a rigid fork (this will make it lighter and you waste less energy bouncing up and down)
>8 or 9 speed, not 7 (this is a basic way of vetting ok quality on new bikes)

At that price range I would suggest buying used. That's a very generous budget used and you can get something better. Post your local craigslist and height if you want some recs.
>>
>>1811754
1000 prebuilt or 1500 built up from parts?
>>
>>1811753
Heres the elevation map according to google. Its mainly a 2 lane 50-55mph road with the last few miles in the city.
There is like a 2-3 mile stretch of highway at the start but that is mostly flat.
Id like to be able to put my school bag and a small gym bag on a rack if possible. School shouldnt be much more than a laptop and a binder, gym is typical gym clothes.
>>
>>1811757
Man if i was you i'd do a conversion or restore a classic track bike. No local market?
>>
>>1811759
Literally 0. I’d have to fly 2 hours each way and bring a bike box.
>>
>>1811756
See
>>1811758
For some more details.
I havent biked since i was a kid so ive got no real idea what im getting into. I like the idea of commuting on bike to maintain a healthier lifestyle and maybe save some money.
My thought process is i can buy it now and bike over the summer to build up my endurance. I dont know if 30 miles a day 4 days a week is realistic after only 3~ months
Please be honest with me if this is realistic. Im going to get a bike either way but i can prioritize other things if this is a pipedream.
>>
>>1811760
damn
You still could get something shipped? There are services. Most LBS will ship bikes. Like $100. Not crazy.

>new
Wabi? Think it's like 1k for a 725 bike. Pretty good deal.
>>
>>1811761
It's totally doable if you get fit, but it's ambitious. That's about a 1 hour ride. Structuring riding into your life like that can be fantastic, but If you're at university or a job and you're stressed out by it and not coping generally and your time management is tight/poor then adding a longish bike commute at the start and end of your days can be absolutely terrible.

You'd definately want to sus a place to shower and change at school in the morning when you get there, and work out a good on bike- storage system like panniers for your stuff. With hills and you being not uber fit i think that's beyond the distance to ride in your clothes for the day.

This will make your life more difficult but if you get it well practiced and you balance sleeping/eating and not drinking too much well with it you will feel amazing.
>>
>>1811762
https://singlespeedcycles.com.au/products/the-copenhagen Was thinking something like this and throw the brakes away
>>
>>1811766
that looks alright. I'm not a fan of faux-vintage bikes with quill stems though.
>>
File: kmart.png (21 KB, 790x139)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>1811766
>>
>>1811769
Kek fuckin based
>>
>>1811766
>welded
No
>>
>>1811771
do you think lugs are stronger or something?
>>
>>1811764
Im not sure how long i would be able to keep it up, escpecially come winter. Id like to give it a try though, its at least a good goal to work towards.
School has a pretty nice gym il be able to shower at. Thats a good call about bringing a change of clothes. Im still trying to work out all the details in my head.
Im sure a lot of this is personal preferance and depends on the bike so sorry if they sound stupid. Should i look for a more upright riding posture or do i want to be bent over like the road racers i see? Do i need clipons? Is a regular 21 speed going to do fine or would i want to look into something with more or less gears?
>>
>>1811774
Lugs are stronger and lighter, yeah
>>
>>1811776
uh huh, so why are most high end steel bikes now tig welded?
Pegoretti, Cicli Barco, Gunnar, Ritchey, etc?

and what about back in the day when the higher spec centurions and lemonds etc were tigd and the cheaper ones lugged?
>>
>>1811775
>Is a regular 21 speed going to do fine
I already told you this. If you're looking at new bikes try to get atleast an 8 or 9 speed bike, because it's just a general signifier of a decent standard of basic quality. 7 speed bikes are typically pretty shit.
Whether it has a double or triple or single chainring isn't that important.
This is only the case for new bikes as once upon a time 7 speed was high spec and modern and so older 7 speed bikes can be very good.

>Should i look for a more upright riding posture or do i want to be bent over like the road racers i see?
There's a middle ground and that's what you want and it's even achievable with drop bar bikes although they will be out of your price range new. You do not want to be riding distance and hills in a fully upright cruising position it's not efficient or comfortable.

>do i need clipons
clipless pedals? Not unless you want them
>>
>>1811747
BikesDirect has quite a few Kilo TTs in stock right now.
>>
>>1811777
Great argument retard “da rich folks do it”
>>
>>1811783
whats your theory as to why they do it though
>>
>>1811784
Higher quality heat treatment at consumer price points and 20 years advancement in metallurgy. Not relevant to low-mid quality frames
>>
>>1811788
but... lugs are not relevent to low-mid quality frames. They're exclusively used in boutique faux-retro bikes.

Lets say tig is as good, or better than lugs for fancy heat treated steel, 853, etc. But we're not talking about that because it's fancy. Ok.

Where does that leave... surly etc. Fuji touring. Trek 520. Every basic cromo steel bike in the last 15 years. All tigd. All pretty legit.

for some context here we started this discussion with me strongly suggesting he gets a used classic bike and he explained why he can't so if that's where you're heading with this then we've already been there.
>>
>>1811795
so you think the faux retro he posted is a good bike?
>>
>>1811799
As i said, it looks alright. For a man with no local market, could be worse. Atleast it's not hiten, and the stupid drop bar + interrupter lever setup is ok if he wants to go brakeless. Quill stem is bad but, meh?
>>
>>1811819
>quill
>bad
explains your other shit takes
>>
>>1811820
I have many bikes with quill stems that i love riding and an extensive collection of quill stems and i love quill stems. I started this by trying to shill him into a classic bike. It seems like you're just ignoring the context of what i'm saying. The inferiority of quill stems is not a good reason to avoid classic bikes but it is a good reason to avoid faux-classic bikes as they are that by design and the associated benefits do not exist, like, as you mentioned, no sexy lugs, and more money.

NEW bikes should not have quill stems.
The flexier front end is especially bad on singlespeed bikes where you have to throw the front end around to accelerate or get up hills.

It's a fine concession to ride an older bike but I would never buy a new bike with a quill stem.

This isn't contentious either. You have EXTREME retrodouches like jobst brandt who never adopted aero cable routing, external bearing cranks, indexing, or water bottles, and loved threadless.

>Threadless headsets are a welcome and major improvement over the quill handlebar stem
-Jobst Brandt
>>
>>1811822
please excuse this overly wordy annoying posting i ahve been drinking
>>
>>1811823
and taking hormones from the sound of it my lad
>>
>>1811824
am i supposed to like quill stems or not because i can go either way
>>
>>1811825
everything ever made after 1985 was a mistake for cycling
>>
File: touring 1898.jpg (460 KB, 1680x1253)
460 KB
460 KB JPG
>>1811826
>1985
more like 1895

the derailer was an artifice for women and children
>>
>>1811822
>stanford mech engineer
>has no conception about how helmets protect even though they are not 'cushy'
>says they are inadequate so he doesn't use one
>crashes and gets brain damage
sad
many such cases
>>
>>1811828
BASED
>>
>>1811830
he had a good run
>>
>>1811822
>quill stems are bad because they make climbing hills on a single speed worse
uhh ok
>>
>>1811843
ok then
>>
>>1811845
cope
>>
>>1811847
with what
>>
>>1811832
He was a cyclist anon, not a runner
>>
Im 5' 11" 180lbs. Ive got about $500 but the price is a bit flexible. I want a bike to commute to school/work and ride around for fun. Ive found like 5 bikes that seem to fit the bill but im unsure on what i really want or need. I made a sort of pro/con list but would like some other thoughts.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/bik/d/spokane-cannondale-r500-road-bike/7485098304.html
+Under budget
+Has water bottle holders
-no fenders
?rack/basket

https://spokane.craigslist.org/bik/d/spokane-bianchi-san-jose/7492742212.html
+looks cool
+/-internal gear hub
+fenders
?rack/basket would go over budget

https://spokane.craigslist.org/bik/d/spokane-momentum-street-mid-step/7488413518.html
+fenders
+basket
+kickstand

https://spokane.craigslist.org/bik/d/post-falls-cannondale-700-tri-bike/7490439321.html
-over budget
-no fenders
-basket/rack
+probably good for miles/speed
+waterbottle holders
>>
>>1812085
the 'city bike' is garbage
the cannondales will both be flogged out projects so if you want a project the cheaper one is not a bad idea but seriously it will warrant a full overhaul and shit will be fucked on it.

the bianchi is sick you should get that.
>>
>>1812098
Whats wrong with the city bike? Just not a good brand or what? I didnt notice the split frame for the cupholder before and that seems kind of gimmicky.
What type of work would need to be done to the cannondales and at what cost do you think? Ive only owned walmart bikes before and when they got messed up they went to the recycling center.
The bianchi is pretty dope. How difficult do would it be to add a rack or something?

Found another bike. Im guessing this would have the same problem as the cannondales right?
https://spokane.craigslist.org/bik/d/coeur-alene-specialized-elite-roubaix/7490703871.html
>>
>>1812103
Highest performance bike you’ve posted so far. I see Dura-Ace and Ultegra… but I’m not sure how I’d feel about buying used carbon.
>>
>>1812103
>What type of work would need to be done to the cannondales and at what cost do you think?
probably everything. Few hundred dollars if you do it yourself and not viable otherwise.

>The bianchi is pretty dope. How difficult do would it be to add a rack or something?
Easy. It has rack bosses for a rear rack. You'd just need to double up with the fenders.

>Im guessing this would have the same problem as the cannondales right?
Yes like for one both those rims are technically worn out as they're supposed to have wear indicators so it's a bit conservative but you're supposed to replace both the wheels at this point. Normally I think people should avoid indexed road triples. That crank probably uses an expensive meme bearing too. The price is just way too high for a bike that old.

The thing is though you can buy a bike in terrible condition and still ride it and you can normally do jobs bit by bit. Like I'm overhauling an old (newer than both of those) road bike now and i took the hub apart and 4 of the ball bearings inside have exploded and aren't circles and destroyed the cup of the hub. So there's a lot of work involved to fix that wheel now but it still did spin and you could have ridden it. It wasn't even obviously really bad but it's also totally fucked. A lot of things on bikes are like that.
I can just tell looking at bikes like those though, there's GOING to be serious problems and that's not the case for all old bikes but for clearly well ridden road bikes, they get sold at the end of their life of being in good condition and everything wants doing.
>>
>>1812120
Dura ace and ultegra both sound like good things. Ive heard carbon frames are very fragile, would i be able to tell if its in good shape or is that like an expert/xray kind of skill?

>>1812126
I have next to zero bike knowledge so im not sure i could rebuild a bike or even know how to start diagnosing problems. Like i had no idea rims wear out or what an "indexed road triple" is.
So the road bikes may be savable but will require a lot more work/money. Do you think the bianchi will be in decent shape or is that a candidate for complete rebuild as well? Obviously you cant tell everything by pictures but all the stuff looks new.

Are there any less obvious red flags i should look for when checking out bikes?
>>
>>1812120
>never bought used carbon
Are you a millionaire or just new to cycling?
>>
>>1812129
the bianchi is a new custom build it'll be in great condition unless the guy put it together badly. You'd know straight away if it test rides badly or he starts talking about issues it has but even then it's probably an easy fix.

That bike is pretty idiosyncratic having an internal gear hub and a lot of the money into it is into fancy crap that won't really make a difference to how it rides but i still think it'd be a very solid buy if you like it.

as for buying a flogged out old road bike you can just jump in the deep end if you're willing and not retarded but just leave some money to do stuff don't spend it all on aquiring the project.
>>
>>1812134
My total budget for a bike, repairs/accessories (rack, maybe a light), and helmet is like $650 so basically any of them would eat it up.
Whats the deal with internal gears? Ive never seen them in real life but the concept seems kind of cool.
Also ive noticed like none of these bikes have disc brakes. Are disc brakes not a huge improvement over rims like they are with drum brakes in cars?
>>
>>1812138
Disc brakes can be much much better than rim brakes but bicycles are so light and low power they didn’t need better brakes
>>
>>1812138
>Whats the deal with internal gears?
meme system
It's just heavier, supposedly less maintenance and normally doesn't have great range, but it works fine.
>Are disc brakes not a huge improvement over rims like they are with drum brakes in cars?
They're way better on mountainbikes but rim is preferable imo on road.
>>
>>1812139
I guess that makes sense, i see them more on mountain bikes and those seem to be heavier and usually need to slow down quicker. So is it a cost thing mainly?

>>1812140
As long as it can get fixed or replaced when stuff breaks i dont really mind a different system. I dont expect to win any races anytime soon.
Why do you like rims brakes on the road, lighter?
>>
>>1812157
>Why do you like rims brakes on the road, lighter?
It's a complicated and contentious subject, and the tldr is that rim and disc can both be good, it's like frame materials, there are good bikes made out of everything.

That being said.
A disc brake actuates from one side of the bike so the entire frame and hub system have to be much stiffer to resist torsional twisting. This is a huge limitation on a rigid bicycle which is better with compliance built in certain areas. A mtb is different because the suspension and tires give all the compliance and those are not really affected.
Discs also can have better out and out power but they often don't have as good modulation.
and yes it's heavier and more expensive.
>>
>>1812160
Mechanical discs don’t always have as good modulation* the cheapest hydro discs are better than any rims for modulation
>>
>>1812165
nah dude that's total bullshit
t. knows
>>
>>1812166
I have dura ace rimjobs and budget tektro hydros lad and the shit entry level hydros are better for modulation. It’s not even comparable.
>>
>>1812157
Lighter, simpler, much easier maintenance, power is equivalent as long as you're using high quality parts and your rims aren't wet and/or carbon fiber. No fucking around with rotor rub. Less 'modulation' but if you don't know whether you actually care about that or not then you don't actually care about that. Rims wear out but the extra expense on pads and rotors will offset the cost of a new rim, plus by the time it happens the spokes will probably be wearing out anyway.

https://streamable.com/du25xo
>>
>>1812167
rim brakes arent about the name on the rim brake theyre about your personal competence which i question
>>
>>1812170
A classic diversion my friend
>>
>>1812171
how old are your brake pads and cables
WHAT dura ace is it
when was the last time you cleaned your rims
>>
>>1812174
Delusional. It’s all less than a year old. 11 speed dura ace. Clean rims and only ridden on roads whereas the discs go tramping through streams and creeks. Massive cope on display
>>
>>1812177
you have a 1 year old dura ace road bike and you're seriously into mtbing and tramp through streams and creeks but your mtb has budget tektros?

this isn't adding up
>>
>>1812179
The group is obviously not a year old retard, the cables and pads are. Why are you so upset about being wrong about something you would have no way of knowing? And on an anonymous image board no less. No one here is judging you
>>
i assume your justification/explanation is a lie because your opinion is wrong
>>
Based me too
>>
is this miyata 512 single owner bike better than this >>1811201 cannondale? the miyata is listed for $350 and the cannondale for $600 OBO so i might offer $500
looking for a fast road bike under $500.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-of-toronto/vintage-miyata-512-racing-bike-triathlon/1620900900
>>
>>1808014
youre looking for a burningman bike? dont buy a nice bike because burningman destroys moving components like derailers, gears and bearings.

also let me have your ticket. im an actual hippy and im going to be in the area around that time.
>>
>>1812339
The Cannondale is the better bike. The Miyata might be interesting if you're into vintage stuff, but the seller is trying to hide something. He doesn't mention the components' quality level and purposely doesn't show them in his pics either.
>>
>>1812384
Gotta love the reading comprehension of 4chan posters
>>
>>1812418
>the seller is trying to hide something. He doesn't mention the components' quality level and purposely doesn't show them in his pics either.

That group is sort of called 'light action' and the components just have numbers, it doesn't have a real name. I'm pretty sure that is what is written on the derailer.
He said:
>Shimano components including light action brakes & Biopace gears
It's a fair explanation.
Plus he gave the model and age and it's very easy to cross reference with catalogs and get the exact spec.

>>1812339
https://www.ragandbone.ca/PDFs/Miyata%20Catalogue%20PDFs/Miyata%20Catalogue%2088.pdf

here's the catalog. Miyatas are highly regarded classic bikes. That one is entry level but still good. The low wear on the chainring teeth shows it will be in good -original- condition, as do the likely original cables and intact dork disc.
This bike will be a complete project because all the grease will have dried up in the bearings, but it's a fantastic candidate for a project because it's been worn by time and not use.
It's a shame that it's 6 speed not 7, and that it has a freewheel not a cassette. I'm not really a fan of white bikes either. I think if it's your size and you want a project and you like the paint, it's a good buy but the price is too high considering. Like if you parted it out you wouldn't get even close to that for the bits and project bikes should be the other way around.

Personally I would prefer the miyata between those two bikes, if it was overhauled well.
>>
Which bike would be more normal for backup commuter for suburban USA man.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/nano.htm
nano, seems kind of weird but would be easier to store
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/uno.htm
SS cross, is this too hipster for a square?
>>
>>1812682
Between the two, I'd say the minivelo. But only because it has gears. Those downtube style of shifters are pretty responsive and sturdy, I've got an old six speed with downtube shifters. Hasn't been cleaned in over 2 years, been through 2 salty winters. Probably has rust somewhere. been crashed. BUT THE SHIFTERS STILL WORK.

I don't think SS is very practical overall, even if you live in flat land. Sure you can mash up hill, but If you have to haul cargo it's nice to have lower gears and stuff.

The mini velo is definitely not normal though, you'll get a lot of stares and comments. But it's based.
>>
File: fixedgear.png (3.58 MB, 2948x1816)
3.58 MB
3.58 MB PNG
as much as I dislike the fixed gear "culture" pic related is quite literally THE ONLY bike I've found with the adequate frame size for my height in my 3rd world country aside from those chinkshit "MTB" made for the general ignorant public.
That said, which color looks the best? I think I'm between red, yellow, matte black and matte white.
>cream | glossy white | red
>glossy black | matte white
>matte black | yellow
>>
>>1813545
>cream
basic bitch white girl bike
>white
ghost bike
>yellow
based
>red
gottagofast race-ist
>black
boring
>>
>>1813545
All yellow bikes are great desu. Never seen a good non-yellow bike here
>>
How do I purchase best-value-for-the-money Chromoly touring frames? Go to Taiwan?
>>
>>1813557
>>1813555
Agreed, yellow. If the trips weren't enough.
>>
anyone know what year this specialized allez sport is from? its listed for $600 but I cant find anything on google with the same frame except the jr which is similar.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-of-toronto/specialized-allez-sport/1622308675
>>
does anyone know where/how to find bikes in Munich? i just got here and am clueless
>>
>>1815429
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/value-guide/product/3045025/

Looks like this one, 2013. That crankset is 100% not carbon though (not that that's a thing you would want anyway).
>>
>>1813545
matte black so as few people (including you) see it as possible
>>
File: asd.jpg (158 KB, 960x720)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
I want to get my first real road bike coming from a mountain bike with smooth tires.
Now, to make you understand my level, I have been riding for one year now without any specific training, just going around hills and just a few weeks ago I managed to do my first 100kms with around 300m elevation.
I like to go for hilly paths and climb even if Im a bit heavy (1,78 m for 77 kg)

Should I get a brand new Trek domane Al2 for 710 eur
Or a more performant carbon parkpre k980 (in pic as example)?

What bothers me mostly is the gearing, the parkpre seems to be very hard for climbs
The domane Al2 seems to pack a more relaxed gearing.
>>
File: 1646321747256.jpg (50 KB, 322x279)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>1815518
Get the Trek because it doesn't look like 20 pounds of bird shit molded into the shape of a bike.
>>
>>1815518
That is one fucking ugly bike man. That paint is horrible. I don't even know how that Trek looks but between that and the Trek, get the later.

I know that looks are just superficial, but damn, those letters are unaesthetic.
>>
>>1813545
YELLOW then stick grocery store bar code banana stickers all over it
>>
>>1815639
BANANA BANANA BANANA
>>
>>1815503
thanks!
>>
If I'm going for a cheap new bike, are the low end bikesdirect.com bikes any better than the cheap bikes you'd find at a big box store in the same price range?
>>
File: image.png (72 KB, 728x498)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
What's the impact of handlebar width on bike fit? I reverted the flat bar conversion of the previous owner did with my bike and opted for a 44cm compact drop bar (on the taller side, not huge but not short). However I had the opportunity to try a 42cm and found it felt pretty good. I'm not sure if it's the most signficant geometry difference as this other bike was set up more for endurance and thus comfort, but overall it felt nice.
>>
>>1815816
yes

>>1815972
handlebars that are too wide can cause tightness in and between the shoulders. might also tweak your wrists in a weird way.
>>
>>1815973
I'm wondering if going too wide or too narrow would also increase the effective reach as far as everything below the shoulders is concerned. My shoulders themselves don't bother me most - it's somewhat common, but its short lived and back pain over/after longer rides is worse.
>>
>>1815981
a narrower handlebar will slightly shorten your reach
>>
>>1815981
I should clarify, it's more the inbetween pain I might get, shoulder/neck. But that very well could be posture in general, working on my hip/ass position right now.
>>
https://spokane.craigslist.org/bik/d/spokane-well-used-but-reliable/7500013154.html

Will this bike actually be reliable?
>>
>>1815981
i don't think that will change effective reach. it's possible for neck pain to be related to shoulder stance/bar width, but it could also be that your neck muscles aren't built up yet. even a moderate position on a road bike requires the head to be held up and back. hips rotated slightly too forward for your reach/drop can also scrunch up your back/shoulders/neck.
>>
>>1815995
looks to me like a high mile all weather bike
the look clipless pedals are an especially bad sign

It's a little bit hard to tell but it looks like the front rim is worn out. See the line in the middle of the brake track on the rear wheel? That's a wear indicator that newer mavic wheels have and it's gone from the front rim.
I wouldn't be surprised if the drivetrain is worn out too.

And then you have the headshock which is just a barrel of fuckery, and gripshift, which sucks.
It's really hard to say how much of a project it would end up being being not in person, and especially older cannondales are very nice bikes. I wouldn't buy it because of the meme headshock but maybe worth it if you can go and ride it and it rides good, and haggle a bit. Price isn't bad.
>>
titanium or steel frens?
>>
>>1816275
Do you really need an exotic frame that badly?
I'd say steel anyway.
>>
>>1808014
Hey /n/ my first time here and i would appreciate some help with picking a decent bike for me
>181cm tall
>94kg
>250€
I just moved to Netherlands. Would like to use it on regular paved bike lanes. I would ride it in radius of 5km away from my location. Would like to enjoy comfy ride at decent speed without breaking a sweat if thats possible.
>>
File: download.png (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
How can this show be so cheap compared to everyone else?
Where is the catch?
Compare it to Fahrrad.de (bikester if you're outside of Germany) , they have better prices even on Fahrrad's own brands.
>>
>>1816340
idk about this one but theres a lot of fake websites when it comes to bike shit, careful and look up reviews and try to confirm its real people. I almost got scammed by one before.
>>
>>1816275
if you have unlimited money ti
any other budget steel
>>
File: tr.png (409 KB, 1896x674)
409 KB
409 KB PNG
>>1815972
its really not that important, mtb have super wide bars and road can get really tight, I found wider gravel bars with some flare hit that sweet spot for me. Only when it actually starts causing you problems should you look into it.
>>
>>1811828
Just vibin with the boys.
>>
>>1816382
>I almost got scammed by one before.
really? what was it?
>>
>>1816340
look at bike24 thats a legit big german shop
they have insanely good prices

i think it's just scale plus efficiency, they can do low-margins and pressure suppliers
>>
>>1815995
20 years old but seems like he took care of it. Wheels aren't original (that's a good thing) and are actually decent instead of the cheapest thing available so that showed he at least gave a shit. Anything could be worn out at that age, ask when the last time was it had a new chain and cassette. Obviously you'll need new grips and pedals (assuming you don't want to use clipless). Those pedals probably aren't cheap so if you want you can probably get a few bucks for them on ebay or whatever.
>>1815998
>See the line in the middle of the brake track on the rear wheel? That's a wear indicator that newer mavic wheels have and it's gone from the front rim.
The black on the rear rim isn't the wear line, it's marks from the pad. The wear line is much narrower. I'm pretty sure it's there on the front wheel but the pictures are blurry.
>>
>>1816339
250 won't get you much new, maybe try Decathlon? 94kg wouldn't be a concern for anything and at 181 cm probably get whatever the next size above "medium" is.
>>
>>1816424
was a surly frame from some shop hosted in india and after looking on mtb forums they all said it was just a phishing site, this was a while ago idk remember the actual name of the website
>>
can anyone estimate the frame size of this bike based on the wheel size or something? its a police auction and they only list approximate measurements: frame: 20" and stand over height: 30.5".
but a 20" frame would make it a small and a 30.5" stand over height would make it a medium
Tire Size : Continental-branded tires; 700 x 28C
https://www.policeauctionscanada.com/Listing/Details/55803132
>>
>have blue/chrome kilo tt pro with black parts
>want to replace black parts with chrome/silver parts
>can't find shit
>can buy a black stripper kilo tt with chrome parts for $470
should I buy it and swap the parts around? I think I'd make the stripper kilo into a flat bar fixie,
>>
>>1816920
Pretty sure 56 from the headtube, if not that then 54. But I wouldn't want a bike that went through whatever the fuck happened to that frame.
>>
>>1816939
dang, thanks.
yeah it looks pretty rough. I woulda took a chance on it if it was a 50.
>>
>>1816920
going by back wheel and standard diameter of 700c tires at rim
>362px = 622mm
>1px = 0.1718cm
>top tube is ~294px = 50.5cm
>seat tube is ~292px = 50.2cm
>>
How much money is too much for a new bicycle in your opinion?
>>
>>1816962
>30% of your annual income
>>
>>1816966
you're not leaving me a lot of budget
>>
>>1816968
>you're not leaving me
You asked about anons opinion. In what capacity it applies to you is up to you.
>>
>>1816971
We're different anons. Have quite a garbage poor paying job right now but I can deal with the budget.
>>
>>1816975
>We're different anons.
Irrelevant.
>>
>>1816962
over 2k
>>
>>1808014
This would be my first bike since I was a sophomore in highschool around 8 years ago. I know nothing about bikes. I'm 5'10 and primarily interested in riding it to/from work (aprox 3 miles) and maybe some nearby stores (around 1 mile). I'd be riding almost exclusively on sidewalks and bike trails, not in the road or a bike lane. I like that it has a rack for me to strap a bag to.

The guy is asking $80. Y/n? Anything I should know? Frame says Cannondale CAD^2
>>
>>1816962
Depends.
If it's like your first bike I'd say anything >$400 because chances are you don't know what you like and don't like and what works and doesn't work, and you will probably end up buying something that's not quite the right bike for you the first time.
If you're a bikepro there isn't really a limit besides what your wallet can afford.
Kinda how parents should never buy their teenage kids a brand new Porsche ya know?
>>
File: 20211018_143234.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1440)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
I currently ride a cannondale caad2 m400. pretty much ride it as a roadbike/gravel bike. looking to buy a road specific bike and found a 2009 synapse 7 for $250. would it be a significant enough difference in road performance or should I just keep riding the m400 till I can offord something around $800 2nd hand?
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/oshawa-durham-region/2009-cannondale-synapse-7/1622814022

this is the m400 im currently riding. its pretty dialed and stuff but the shifting leaves something to be desired if thats the saying.
>>
>>1817265
yes, it would be a big difference. I would get it and keep saving for an ever nicer one, $250 is nothing, you can probably clean it up and sell it for more.
>>
>>1817269
awesome, thanks. pretty excited, hoping no one beats me to it.
>>
>>1817265
>thumb button sora
no dude.

that style of sti shifter is gimped and shitty
>>
>>1816962
$10k for me. I’m shopping for a new road bike but mostly looking at the ~7k range but there’s some I’ve looked at around ~9k, but for some reason spending over 10k on a bike just feels crazy to me.
>>
>>1817283
someone got it but turned out cannondale sizes small and it wasnt my size anway
>>
>>1817230
Probably 20+ years old but if it works and is in good shape can't go wrong for $80.
>>
File: cube nuroad.jpg (441 KB, 1920x1148)
441 KB
441 KB JPG
>>1817238
My first bike and the one I still have use is a cheap MTB I got as a kid and it's ok I guess. Haven't ridden it in about 15 years and one of the shifters broke and I don't think I like the x3 at the front, too complex for my brain. I ordered some cheapo parts to try and fix it up.

I've been eyeing some bikes and a gravel-ish/commuter type caught my eye cause it seems very versatile, pic related, but it's about $1000. I can just imagine the hate I'd feel if it got stolen. The other is a low gear count city bike with a step-through frame which I'd probably use for an e-bike conversion later on. I'm not sure about that one cause I live in a fairly hilly area and I'd like to use the bike for fitness too. What are some things you should look out for when buying a bike that most determines the 'is it for you' factor?
>>
>>1817392
Never mind, it's sold out.
>>
>>1817392
Trek Domane Al 2
>>
>>1817392
>the 'is it for you' factor?
First is the geometry of the frame - if you don't already know what size bike works best for you, then you should be visiting bike shops and test riding bikes to get a sense for that.

But after that, I'd be looking at the components and specific to that bike the only thing I really dislike is the proprietary rear fender that looks like a rack but isn't. I'm not a fan of those brake calipers either, but those are easily swapped out for something better with dual pad activation if desired.
>>
File: nosattitude.jpg (102 KB, 887x753)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
Should I buy it?
£2k, NOS, I have a minty m900 group waiting for a frame.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165540938868?hash=item268b024474:g:TS0AAOSwIkNiQq9p
>>
File: cube.jpg (395 KB, 1000x1000)
395 KB
395 KB JPG
>>1817564
From a not very thorough search I see that it's more of a US bike. Probably not available in EU. Are you recommending?

>>1817565
You're right probably, though being around 190cm I think a fairly big frame is what I'd find comfortable.

>the proprietary rear fender that looks like a rack but isn't
I think the shop featured additional more standard extensions you can switch out.

>I'm not a fan of those brake calipers either
I'm too new to see anything wrong with them desu.
>>
>>1817568
>$2500 for a 30 year old aluminum frame
the fucking fuck?
>>
What should I look for in a bike for city riding? I would be riding about six miles a day mostly but I have no clue where to start.

What should I be looking for?
>>
>>1808014
>>Height
6'6"
>>weight (if it matters)
215lbs
>>Budget
$1500
>>Intended riding
Commuting. Recently moved to Louisville KY for my tech job. My new condo is about 7 miles away from my job and the vast majority of the roads are entirely flat. Just looking to get a bike I can ride on sitting down for the vast majority of the journey. I would also like to get disc brakes as opposed to those ones that sit at the top of the wheel. Also tire recommendations? Should I be using fat tires or thin ones? The last bike I owned was a beat up version of pic related. A 5 time hand me down.
>>
Currently have a 1986 team Fuji flamingo road bike that I used to ride daily to work. Lately I keep getting flats in my new area, and have been thinking about getting a touring bike for a 20 mile daily commute. Am I dumb?
>>
>>1817666
>20 mile daily commute
Damn, that's fucking wild. Is that one way? Just how fast do you ride?
>>
I have some parts lying around and would like to build a single speed with them. what's a good online retailer for buying a bike frame in the US? I'd go with aliexpress, but I imagine I could get something cheaper if its already in the US.
>>
>>1817666
What pressure do you run?
Do you put diaper powder in your tires? It seems to help a lot with pinch flats.
I doubt a touring bike will help you with anything but being more suited to carrying heavy cargo. If you carry heavy shit on racks on a light road bike the frame will most likely fatigue and snap after enough time.
I commute 11km a day on an ancient shitty city bike because my road bike was stolen last year. No one wants to steal this piece of shit, but it's heavy and horribly slow. At least nothing rattles or creacks since I rebuilt it. I wish I had bought a better lock, I miss my nice bike so much
>>
>>1817666
>I keep getting flats
pinch flats or punctures?
>>
>>1817670
used bike/ frame
stop being retarded

>wahh i live in bumfuck no where

ship one, it's still cheaper
>>
>>1817667
One way and I think my average is about 25 mph, but that includes stopping at lights and such. I usually ride around 18-20mph on a good day with no head wind.
>>
>>1817678
Usually it seems like pinch flats, but it's possible that it's punctures. I never find anything the tire, but I also don't see the snake bites on the tube.
>>
>>1817749
where exactly in the tube is the hole? is it always in the same place?
>>
Looking for an aluminum body bike with a full 105 disks set up (the Van Ryzel is rim or carbon). Where to look?
>>
>>1817663
>6 miles a day

It needs two wheels, somewhat working 1 or 3 speed transmission some working brakes. Have fun. I recommend a front basket to carry your stuff.
>>
>>1817596
Im in italy and I saw one being sold for 750 euro. Was tempted to buy myself.
Trek frames are life guaranteed. Also it seems a really good bike for road riding in general and probably doesnt mind some light gravel.
If I could back in time one or two years ago I would have wanted to start with that one instead of the weird hybrid I own now.
>>
File: FujiRoyalBike.jpg (187 KB, 720x960)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
Post says it's a Fuji Royal Bike, 12 speed, they're asking $60. I've never bought a bike before but I'm sick of paying for uber like a retard, is this a good deal?
>>
>>1817974
Forgot to add, completely city riding, we have rough winters but they plow the roads pretty quickly (Midwest US)
>>
>>1817974
any other pics of it? 60 is a good deal if everything is in ok shape, but if ur gonna have to fix a bunch of shit its not worth it.
>>
>>1811518
I have a triton back when they were sourced with the Claris. I've put 7k on it. I upgraded the seat and upgraded the bottom bracket and crank.

It's also a true xxl 61cm which is niiice. Honestly I wouldnt sell mine for 1000 cash right now in hand.
>>
>>1817974
no, it's shit. the walmart bike of its time.
>>
>>1817974
For $60 its a no brainer, if it works. It's not a good bike but that's so cheap I'd do it. Get new tires (try panaracer paselas, they stilll sell them in the old 27 1/4 size) oil the chain, ride it into the ground.

If you don't know anything about fixing bikes, and the bike doesn't work as is, don't buy this bike. These old cheap bikes are fucking a nightmare to work on, they were made with pot metal and convoluted hardware.
>>
>>1817974
I disagree with the other posters. I actually think it would be worth servicing/ overhauling some, new bartape, nicer brake pads, etc, if you're so inclined.

It's a pretty decent entry level bike. You can tell from the centerpulls and the downtube shifters. I think it's plaingauge cromo, so not a gaspipe frame.

Fuji and other low-end Jap marques of that era are quite well made too. It's a good bike. It's handsome looking too.

One warning is that stem is almost certainly up too high and is dangerous. It should be removed, cleaned, and the quill thoroughly greased before re-install. Good time to service the headset too.
>>
Thoughts on this Trek X2 Alpha Alloy listed for $700?
looking for a fast road bike that I can aero tuck in. prefer road/race bikes to endurance bikes.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/markham-york-region/trek-carbon-alloy-gravel-roadbike-50cm/1623043041
Hello I’m selling my extra bike for commuter, recently I got a Roadbike to use for commute.
Nothing is wrong with this you can freely test everything. The shifter,brakes, and cables are all serviced and prep. For the next cyclist.
Shifter: Duraace
Derailer: Duraace
Cassette: Sram Red 11-28
Crank: Carbon Slk 53/39
WheelSet: Fulcrum Racing 700c
(Unused) w/ bag
Tire: Victoria Rubino Pro Slick 23mm (unused)
Calipers:Avid/Shorty
Frame:Trek X2 Alpha Alloy 50cm
Fork:Bontrager Carbon
Stem: ProVibe 110mm
SeatPost: Carbon Uncut
Saddle:Specialized Ronin
Everything Included from the pictures
>>
>>1818151
dude if you want something really fast don't buy a cyclocross bike...

the attraction there is only if you wanted to ride gravel on wider tires, tour on it, or run full fenders.

Otherwise it's just slower in a few marginal ways and less svelte it's not the direction you want to head in for being the fastest.
>>
>>1818151
ancient and overpriced
>>
I'm 6'5 245lb.
I want to build a commuter bike wich will have the following :
- rohloff
- Dynamo hub
- hydrolic disk brakes
- wide tires to avoid crashing on those fucking tram tracks

budget 3k tops

What should I buy ? I can get a rohloff for less than 500bucks
>>
>>1818186
>245lb
You need to stop eating for about 5 weeks mate
>>
>>1818194
I'm a big guy, 10kg overweight tho
>>
>>1818202
You’re a fat slob lad
>>
>>1818186
With 3k you can get a nice ebike for commuting with big tires and all the frills.
>>
>>1809976
i have a 3sp igh and only use gears 2-3 on it, the lack of shifting is very nice
>>
>>1808014
>Share your
>>Height
>>Budget
>>Intended riding

>6'1
>$400 to $800
>Casual riding

I like this bike and many similar on kijiji but they're all a bit out of my budget range

Man wants $950 for this
>>
>>1815429
looks like a Huffy
>>
>>1812339
the gears on the Miyata look rusted
>>
>>1818533
Man is out of his fucking brain. That is a $200 dollar bike max.

You could buy any main tier hybrid brand new for $800. If you want to buy used it depends on markets. I'd recommend finding a good roadie from the 90's-2000's and pay a bike shop to fix it up. Or a rigid MTB is always a great casual option, thinks like specialized hard rock, trek multitrack, etc etc...

Post your craigslist
>>
>>1818533
Might be wrong but this, but:
I'm pretty sure that's not an Italian Bianchi, which means that it's not a high-end or collectible vintage road bike (something out of your price range in your tight market).
There are high-end and venerated Japanese and Taiwan built road bikes, like a team miyata, but not those Bianchis, those are like the American domestic lower spec ones. Still very decent bikes but at more like a club/sport level, not really race pedigree.

I know canadian market is high but pushing 1000 for that is unreasonable, it's value is less mystique and more as a good looking rider.

It's kinda the same deal with most older local Miele and Marinoni roadies. Or anything else made of lower-spec nice tubing like Columbus cromor. Or any tange frames with numbers that aren't 1 or champion. Most 531 frames.

A 'real' italian race bike you'd expect like columbus SL atleast, and in great condition, $1000 canadian+ would be fair.
I think getting a nice road bike which isn't 'special' should really be possible for ~$500 in your market if you're patient. Do you want me to have a look ?

Worth mentioning, 'great condition' is two things. You've got 'original' meaning it hasn't been ridden much or fucked with, AND serviced meaning it has been overhauled, it has fresh grease, cables, and new tires and bar tape. Because bikes degrade just from sitting. A 'practically unridden' bike is still a project. If you're uninterested in a project often a bike which is in worse re- 'original' condition will run better as it's been kept in service.

>>1818581
He's talking in canadian money and that bike does look very clean. If it is in original and serviced condition with nice tires $200 is a delusional price. It's a nicer bike than an entry level hybrid for fucking sure.
>>
>>1818588
To add to this, a lot of boomers will have a bike which they keep clean, and it has original parts, and it doesn't not ride, so they think it's in 'great condition' and it's worth top dollar, but in reality it requires a full overhaul and multiple things on it are broke.

It's not possible to tell from that picture whether that bike is that or actually in great service and it's not possible to trust what sellers say about that kinda thing either.
>>
>>1818588
>>1818592

This is a mid-tier road bike from like the early 80's, with downtube (probably friction) shifters. You're insane if you think THAT is worth 500 usd. Only thing worth anything is the name "bianchi" printed on the side. The bike is not even that nice, old as shit with old ass tech, and probably needs work done.

There are multiple name-brand road bikes in rideable condition with current or last-gen shimano gruppos for 400-800 in my craigslist as we speak.

I can buy a lemond with brifters for $300, or a aluminum trek with brifters for $400.
>>
>>1818598
>You're insane if you think THAT is worth 500 usd.
I didn't say it was. I just said he could get a nice old road bike for that much. And again, we're talking in canadian money. So it's more like $380. I also know that the canadian market is inflated so advising him on what he might get compared to what else he might get is more helpful than compairing it to what you or I might get.

>The bike is not even that nice, old as shit with old ass tech, and probably needs work done.
Come on... You don't fucking know. What details have you given about it? None. I'm the one who is picking it probably as an asian Bianchi. You're just generalizing about old road bikes and seething about hipster Italian shit. But you're wrong. Nice DT-shifter era road bikes are as or more desirable than ~10-20yo road bikes, just in the same way that rigid 80s/90s mtbs are as well.
>>
>>1818533
>>>Intended use
>>Casual riding

>>1818598
The story would be different if he said
>being a roadie
>>
>>1818588
>I think getting a nice road bike which isn't 'special' should really be possible for ~$500 in your market if you're patient. Do you want me to have a look ?

Yes please. I'm in the GTA
>>
>>1818598
>There are multiple name-brand road bikes in rideable condition with current or last-gen shimano gruppos for 400-800 in my craigslist as we speak.

Can you post?
>>
I found a Trek 950 mtb in my area for 275$. Though it's been up a month so I bet I can go lower.
I want something for fire roads and light single track, and it would be my first new bike since a diamondback response I got 12 years ago.

The ad says it was his wife's and then got garaged.
He lists specs:
Specifications:

• Frame Material: True Temper OX II double-butted Chromoly

• Fork: System 1

• Fork Material: Chromoly, forged dropouts, unicrown crown

• Component Group: Shimano STX-RC

• Brakeset: Shimano STX-RC M-System brakes, Shimano STX-RC levers

• Shift Levers: Shimano STX-RC RapidFire Plus

• Front Derailleur: Shimano STX-RC, top-pull/clamp-on 31.8 mm

• Rear Derailleur: Shimano STX-RC

• Crankset: Shimano STX-RC, 22/32/42 teeth

• Pedals: Basci Flat pedals

• Rear Cogs: 7-speed, 11 - 28 teeth

• Chain: Shimano CN-IG30, 1/2 x 3/32"

• Seat-post: System 1, 27.2 mm diameter

• Saddle: Veta TT

• Handlebars: System 2

• Handlebar Stem: System 2

• Wheel Size: 26" wheels

• Hubs: Shimano STX-RC w/System 2 front

• Rims: Matrix Singletrack Pro, 32-hole

• Front Tire: Tioga Psycho II

• Rear Tire: Tioga Psycho II
Thoughts?
>>
>>1818725
looks nice, but that is too much for an old bike. they look cool and they're very durable, but not the best ride. i would look for something with 700c wheels if i was spending that much.
>>
>>1818730
>700c wheels are better than 26
this is your brain on gcn
>>
>>1818698
No man They're all for me. But if you were clever you would realize >>1808015 >>1808098
Was me
>>
>>1817568
Dude no. Jesus. I will never understand the rational of vintage fags.
>>
>>1818602
Ok you're probably got a point about old roadies being "more desirable than" 2000's roadies. But that doesn't make the listed price less retarded. It's a worse bike for more.
>>
File: 1654337156399.png (1.48 MB, 1920x1080)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB PNG
>>1818732
Fuck off I hate you gcn guy. Why won't you explain yourself instead of being a memer
>>
>>1818697
I think you actually have pretty good options.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-of-toronto/vintage-holdsworth-mistral-road-bike/1622365490
If you have the money this is what I would buy. It's a high spec sport-tourer. So like a comfy version of a road bike, that fits wider tires, and has low hill gears. This is genuine classic bike and should be beautiful to ride, comfy, and fast. I bet the owner is a freindly boomer nerd who will help you sus anything on it in future too.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-of-toronto/miele-12-speed-road-bike-23-frame-suits-5-7-6-great-ride/1623195729
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-of-toronto/fiori-modena/1622629785
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-of-toronto/vintage-fiori-road-bike/1621641954
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/oshawa-durham-region/bianchi-road-bicycle/1621599326
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/oakville-halton-region/beautiful-88-miele-volta-road-race-bike-mint-57-58-cm/1620875538
these are all pretty similiar, entry level models with cheapish components. Still good. Would be good buys depending on haggling, condition, how well they fit you, and how much you like the paint.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-of-toronto/58cm-miele-road-bike-shimano-campagnolo-ishiwata-022/1623005364
similiar to above but somewhat better and better nic being more mishmash project spec. I'd want to see the paint in person to see if i liked it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-of-toronto/1979-raleigh-super-grand-prix-xl/1619454417
this is a good high-tensile (cheap heavy steel) shitter sport-tourer. Probably the best 'cheap' option you have and would make a good casual whip.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/oshawa-durham-region/kona-zing-road-race-bike/1615110127
hideous modern road bike whose condition is hard to gauge and price is too high. If you want a bike with STI shifters though this is basically it
>>
>>1818732
nice argument, retard. 700c wheels ARE better than 26". faster, easier to roll over stuff, better tire selection, and a bike with 700c wheels would probably have better brakes than 30 year old cantis.
>>
>>1818697
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-of-toronto/vintage-1980s-miyata-japanese-road-bike/1622925615
miyata. Not a high end one but low end miyatas are pretty damn nice and you could guess it's been done up by some nerd. I think he's even polished the cheap crank which is funny.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/oakville-halton-region/vintage-pinarello-asolo-shimano-600-sti-63-cm/1622591266
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/oshawa-durham-region/bottechia-road-bike-columbus-steel-64-cm-frame/1619598571
these are both probably too big for you. I think if you could stand over the top tube without smooshing your balls too much they could work. This can be worked out by asking the guy to measure ground to the top of the top tube and compare with your inseam. You might also find they have too much reach if you test-ride. You can make the reach slightly shorter but not a lot. These are ACTUAL italian bikes, higher end than the pleb tier leaf garbage above. These would both be fantastic.
>>
>>1818744
>https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/oakville-halton-region/vintage-pinarello-asolo-shimano-600-sti-63-cm/1622591266
>https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/oshawa-durham-region/bottechia-road-bike-columbus-steel-64-cm-frame/1619598571
to add to these two. The pinarello is original spec. It's extremely good original condition and has probably barely been ridden. But it will not be in very good riding condition. It has hard vintage brake pads and the sloppy tape shop shows a careless owner. I bet the bearings are all dry. It's a project, and excellent project. If it fitted you and you could haggle it down and you liked the red it would be an amazing project. That's like, a proper race bike.

The bottechia is a collaberation between a low standards bike shop and an autistic fashion boomer. This one is more archaic too. But it's more likely to fit you with a shorter top tube, if you can stand over it.
>>
>>1818743
>better tire selection
What a fucking stupid comment. 26" tire selection is great.

>faster
yeah no fucking shit but 26" isn't the crux of it, it's the fact that it's a hybrid.

>a bike with 700c wheels
>30 year old cantis

These things aren't mutually exclusive. You keep pretending to be talking about one thing but actually you just don't like old bikes, for some unrelated reason.

fyi, those STX cantis, specifically, are very nice brakes.
>>
>>1818736
>last gen
Lol
It's got a fucking quill stem. You think that is somehow 'modern'?
those sti shifters are like 25 years old. They're very prone to shit the bed at this point.

You're very likely going to be switching to downtube shifters on that bike.
>>
>>1818737
They look nice, designs are not always improved. New bikes look like they are designed by maxim mag at the Gillette factory
>>
>>1818737
ebay-tier pricing and collector autism is not vintagefaggin its like the disgusting fetish version of it
>>
>>1818741
Thanks man! Really appreciate the help.
>>
>>1818758
all good
let us know how it goes, post some pics if you get something
>>
>>1818749
u mad?
>>
>>1818761
yes
>>
File: 535102_light_zoom.jpg (1.58 MB, 4000x2324)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
I want to buy an eMTB to ride in Paris (yeah ...).
I will not use it to commute (car is mandatory for my work) but even on my motorcycle it became hell to do anything in this shitty city (bar restaurant etc).
I also want to use it on holydays (and that's why I prefer an eMTB instead of an urban ebike).

Any opinions on this short list ?

Raymon CrossRay FS E 5.0 3900 Yamaha 630 Yam C 120mm Suntour XCR34 Suntour Raidon R 27.5kg
Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 Pro 4100 Bosch 625 Purion 120mm RockShox Recon Silver RL RockShow Deluxe Select 27.3kg
Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 Race 4500 Bosch 625 Purion 120mm Fox 34 Float AWL Fox Float DPS EVOL 27.2kg
Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 SL 5000 Bosch 750 Kiox 300 120mm Fox 34 Float AWL Fox Float DPS EVOL 27.4kg
>>
How accurate are bike blue book sites?
>>
>>1818931
It hilariously undervalues bikes that are as little as 5 years old especially considering current market.
>>
>>1818786
Tldr, we don't approve of ebikes. But get it if you think it's a worthwhile purchase
>>
File: dew_e_dl.jpg (1.56 MB, 5073x2721)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>1818786
You're retarded. Don't get a mtb. Get something like this which weighs 19kg. A carbon fork and fattish tires means it'll still be cushy enough for riding on cobbles, and gravel trails, and loading with baggage, ie, whatever 'holiday' means.

Weighing almost 10kg less will make it SO much nicer to use, especially in a busy city. Like actually being able to fucking lift it without putting your back out.
>>
>>1818786
Don't get suspension
Don't get tires over 2" (~50mm)
>>
>>1819018
i approve of e-bikes more than i approve of mtbs for the city and 'sometimes something else maybe'
>>
>>1819018
>>1819024
>>1819025
Should I look for an e-gravel instead?
They're more expensive than e-mtb WTF...
I guess I can find one with light and shit for the city no?
>>
>>1818749
hello gcn
>>
>>1811828
what is that frame
>>
>>1818743
700c can't into offroad tho
>>
File: Marin Pine Mountain.jpg (304 KB, 2000x1298)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
>>1819566
pic rel is 700c
>>
>>1819569
Shit, that's gnarly.
>>
https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/bik/d/las-vegas-trek-road-bike-carbon-fiber/7497189672.html

is this a good bike? looking to get a decent bike under $500 but not sure what to look for. it does concern me that there's no size or close up pictures of the mechanicals but are these generally known as good?
>>
>>1819826
oh i'm retarded it does list the size. still, is it a generally good bike?
>>
How is this bike? I'm going to make it into an ebike idc.
>>
>>1819569
I just found out that 700c is the same thing as 29 inch MTB wheels and can take MTB tires, and my mind is blown.
What the fuck is this shit? Why didn't anyone tell me?
>>
>>1819873
It's common knowledge. You still need to take into account rim width and frame tyre clearance when deciding what tyre to put on your rims.
>>
>>1818759
Didn't get anything yet.

What do you think of this?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-of-toronto/cannondale-road-bike/1622841323?undefined
>>
>>1819869
good enough
>>
6'4
I'd like something to exercise with and get around town with so I can buy groceries. I was taking the public transit, but they started charging as of today.

On the one hand, I'd like something cheap so if it's stolen it's not a huge loss, but on the other hand I'd like to get something nice that isn't a pain to ride around a lot. I also really like the aesthetic of fat tires.
>>
>>1819959
look for 21" mtb or 62cm road bike in your area and post again when you have some options. XL frames are not that common in the used market (i mostly see mediums) but you definitely don't want to buy something too small
>>
>>1819988
You think 21 is fine? I saw stores recommending 26" for anyone above 5"10 but those are just general stores.
>>
File: 1654332031802.png (294 KB, 494x568)
294 KB
294 KB PNG
>>1818743
>>1818740

>faster
26 roll up faster, better for commutes, inner city, and off road
also:
https://www.renehersecycles.com/myth-17-bigger-wheels-roll-faster-amended/
>better tire slection
its probably about the same, this is a retarded statement
>better brakes
lol no modern disc is the biggest meme, >30 year old cantis, yea lets compare 30 year old shit to 30 year old shit, modern cantis are great and theres also 26 inch disc since it used to be the standard size for downhill bikes
>>
>>1820022
21" or 62cm would be the frame size. 26" is a wheel size.
>>
>>1820032
why don't you give some advice to the guy that was asking about a bike instead of jumping all over my opinion? my main point was that a 30 year old bike shouldn't cost 275$ and a modern spec bike will give a better ride.
>>
>>1820043
Ah okay, I wasn't sure if you were referring to the wheel size since that's the only thing mentioned on the tiny blurbs they had attached to the bikes at the local stores.

Also, the other reason I was considering fat tires is that it's snowed in half the year and it'd be nice to be able to use a bike for more then just the summer and spring.
>>
>>1820048
depends on the bike, that bike is probably worth 150-200, but also depends on the state and city, some places literally have no selection so everythings gonna be expensive, and some places have so many bikes you can get a nice road bike for 100 any day of the week. 90s mtbs are really nice first bikes since they are easy to work on and can teach you to work on your own bike and the parts for them are plentiful and available, and they make great bikes for on and off road as long as you buy the tire for what you are riding on.
>>
File: coolsaddlebro.jpg (5 KB, 234x215)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>1820066
ok but you aren't responding to the person with a question. you are just spouting basic supply and demand after the thread has died. obviously steel is real.
>>
>>1820078
he posted it in the 90s mtb general so i assumed he bought it
>>
>>1819873
i thought it was 27.5 inch
>>
>>1808014
>Height
6'1
>Budget
$500
>Intended riding
Paved but rough paths and sidewalks with potholes and bumps, dirt roads, hills.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.