[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 27 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: train-sim-world-5-1.jpg (43 KB, 600x337)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Not sure if this is the right board, but i want to get into train sims, whats the best one to start with?
>>
MSTS is abandonware and Openrails is built on it. If you do everything in MSTS you'll know what you're in for with paid content, so to speak. Almost all of it is paid and all of the prices suck, but there's a lot of user generated content if that matters. Current Train Simulator was supposed to be Train Simulator 2 but MS cancelled it for stupid reasons hence why it's done by Dovetail.

I personally find TrainZ to be superior BUT it's features like custom consist building and custom layouts are kinda autistic and not appreciated unless you want to make your own routes.
>>
>>1807648
also trainz jews you both on the dlc and by releasing a new edition every year
overall, remember the golden rule of train simulators: there are no good train simulators
>>
>>1807611
>i want to get into train sims
Don't. Even railway modelling is a better use of your time.
>>
It gets really boring quickly
>>
>>1807668
like what?
>>
try giving BVE a try
>>
MSTS: old

Train Simulator 2022: Will steal all your money, but probably the best one if you want a wide range of routes without wanting to rip out your eyes. Good physics for most locos nowadays, with plenty of community made mods .

Train sim world: looks nice, but in practice doesn't really live up to expectations. Physics are off, and if you've ever driven in other sims it'll 'feel' wrong. Plenty of bugs and routes that they say they are updating but abandon for a B-team to do stuff with.

Run8: Just released a big update to V3, but otherwise takes a long time to get anywhere. Best sim for north american operations, will give you a good run for your money if you're hauling a full train over Tehachapi pass. Will also steal all your money.
also, has multiplayer. You'll find some decent servers with an okay community, which run sessions doing locals, through runs and yard work independantly of each other.

trainz and openbve i haven't played so can't comment.

Train Life: its okay, free roam type game but not really high on simulation. very early access.
>>
>>1809635
>also, has multiplayer
Does it let someone be a dispatcher
>>
>Play train sim
>100% throttle
>Max speed
>Crash
>Repeat with each train/ consist to find the best crasher
On MS Train Simulator, it was Odakyu 7000 series LSE, crashed out of Shinjuku like a MF
>>
File: msts_settlecarlisle.jpg (62 KB, 720x540)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1809635
>MSTS: old
original routes are peak soul though
>Plenty of bugs and routes that they say they are updating but abandon for a B-team to do stuff with.
same is true of ts2022
>trainz and openbve i haven't played so can't comment
trainz jews you on fucking everything, including releasing new paid versions every year
openbve is open source, which is a plus, but is much more limited than other simulators
>>1809671
fun fact, the station at the end of that route appears in evangelion
>>
Does OpenBVE has moving NPC trains yet?
>>
what control setup do yall use?
>>
>>1809635
The physics on BVE are excellent. OpenBVE always seemed slightly off but improves often. So maybe it's been fixed by now. Visuals on both BVE versions aren't exactly great. BVE visuals in particular are suboptimal as you might expect given it is made by a mechanical engineer and not a software engineer. Basically cardboard cutouts on rails. Some routes are very well done visually but the incentives aren't their for high quality DLC.

Zusi 3 is a commercial version of software used to train German enginemen. Haven't tried it but it physics are allegedly perfect and visuals not too bad. Includes a lot of German routes.

https://www.railway-technology.com/analysis/train-simulators/
>>
>>1809705
Yes
>>
File: 1639901608552.webm (1.75 MB, 640x480)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB WEBM
What is the best train sim to experience glorious Nippon train sovl?
>>
>>1809643
Yes Anon
>>
>>1809961
BVE 5?
>>
>>1809961
Depends on how you define "sim". Densha De Go and Japanese Rail Sim are not sims in the western sense, but do capture a few things pretty well (arguably nothing can beat Jap Rail Sim in terms of visual accuracy). BVE is sort of their Train Sim equivalent.
>>
File: file.png (1.83 MB, 1359x762)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB PNG
>>1811984
They said it themselves, it's going to be Kino.
>>
File: 20220518213504_1.jpg (362 KB, 1920x1080)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
>>1807611
Train Sim World by far, looks great, locos are detailed. Train Sim Classic has tonnes of routes but it's an old game and everything is very basic.

The 101 is great fun btw
>>
File: homer beating meat.gif (772 KB, 480x360)
772 KB
772 KB GIF
>>1813080
>slam doors
>>
>>1809728
Zusi is bona-fide eye cancer though.
>>
Does Train Sim World 2 have any route DLCs that connect to each other? Meaning two DLCs that share a station? I want to be able to ride a service from one route and then transfer to another service from a differnet DLC route at the shared station.
>>
>>1811984
there's also the train simulator and railfan series by Ongakukan, they also made games with densha de go
https://www.giantbomb.com/ongakukan/3010-6456/developed/
>>
>>1813044
>Tab
>it's actually coming to Steam this month
Damn, japs finally waking up to the PC I see. Also reminds me of Train Crew. Still in development and low budget as hell, but it looks promising.
>>
Just downloaded Train Sim World 2. Its tutorial is awful
>>
>>1816228
Yes. I had to watch their YouTube tutorials/livestream to learn how to play the game properly.
>>
Derail Valley is not (yet) a sim but it's /comfy/ as hell and has good gameplay. great to lose track of the hours
>>
>>1813410
No
>>
>>1807611
The Initial D one
>>
>>1816228
Read the manual pdfs, the in-game tutorials are shit and skip over things.
>>
>>1813080
are steam locos any good in train sim world?
i saw they just released the first dlc containing them
>>
File: 1489689749651.jpg (66 KB, 853x480)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>1807611
>look at train sims on Steam
>base price of game isn't that cheap
>additional locomotives are anywhere from $7 to $25 each
>additional routes are anywhere from $20 to $40
>quick Google search says the total DLC amount is like $10,000 USD
>>
>>1816439
>niche game requiring high level of detail is expensive
imagine my shock
>>
>>1816439
TSW2 is half off on Steam right now. It gives your three routes to play with.
>>
>>1816314
Where do you find those?
>>
File: A-Train Version 5.0.jpg (147 KB, 617x720)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>1809961
Not a sim but give A-Train a pirate
>>
I've only watched maybe a dozen vids of people playing a territory with North American rolling stock and none of them know how to read the air brake gauges or know how to use the independent brakes correctly or when to bail them off
>>
>>1816439
Generally the idea is you don't have to buy every single DLC to get the full experience.
For example, I mainly play the North America lines and don't really care about all the European stuff, and even with the base game and a couple of DLC, there's a ton of content

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.