[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 48 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: raincape1_gsm.jpg (85 KB, 550x413)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
Is this the best way to cycle in the rain?
Somewhat upright bicycle, full length longboard fenders + short Poncho cape?
>>
>>1802324
id rather just get wet
>>
>>1802324
Walmart frog toggs poncho and rain pants. Costs like $15 for a set.

What is the fucking point of the over the bars jacket thing??? Just wear sleeves so you don't kill yourself if you get your jacket caught on the abra
>>
>>1802356
My thighs are always one of the wettest things when I commute in the rain.
>>
>>1802324
stop being afraid of water
>>
It's easy
Don't have a job
Don't have a life
Don't have any sort of destination where you need to look nice and be dry
Basically, forget about transport and just ride the bike aimlessly
>>
>Full wheel fenders, they work.
>Light 'not baggy' waterproof top layers, they work.
>Waterproof bags for any baggage you may be carrying placed in the basket at the front, they work.

Done and dusted
>>
>>1802358
So much this.
>>
File: quatrevelo.jpg (239 KB, 2048x789)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
The best way? Why yes, it's in a velomobile
>>
>>1802358
>>1802391
rain pants solve this.
>>
File: 84767.jpg (236 KB, 650x433)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
I personally found out that sailing clothes work just as fine

>they are somewhat waterproof
>don't make you look like a dork
>>
>>1802324
just wear a chinamans rice pickers hat.
>>
>>1802436
Watertight overpants and jackets sound like I'll get just as wet from sweating in them within 30 seconds.
>>
>>1802446
>sound like I'll get just as wet from sweating in them within 30 seconds.

thinking about me isn't necessary.
>>
>>1802446
I have this problem but rather have some sweat in my pits back and ass than having grim mud and dirty water all over me
>>
>>1802446
If you get properly baggy rain clothes it isn't much of a problem for commuting speed. But yea it's less than ideal for cardio j will admit.

What the Fuck else can you do, though? Short of bringing spare clothes?

I feel like best solution is a decent raincoat and some synthetic leggings, keep your real pants in a bag and change upon arrival. Otherwise bring a little wet really isn't a big deal.
>>
>>1802324
rei house brand gore tex jacket, rapha technical trousers, wool socks, chrome brand shoes. accept wet legs and feet for an hour until you dry out. this is for my commute to work, btw. if you're just riding for pleasure or sport, just be wet. nothing you do will save you from your own sweat.
>>
>>1802410
why no nobody will buy one of these
>>
File: beep beep mofo.jpg (55 KB, 640x640)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>1802324
Step your game up.
>>
>>1802324
Bring spare clothes and a towel in a waterproof bag. I tried waterproof jacket/pants for a while, but then I just got wet from sweating and that's even more uncomfortable. Fenders are great, though.
>>
>>1802324
Put the bike in a car and drive
>>
When I lived in Vancouver I would commute to the shop I worked at about 40km every day year round and since I had decided to sell my car and try the bike only life at the time that included riding all winter long in daily rain. It really sucked balls until I got the gear dialed in.
When I just started I tried using an actual rubberized Carhartt storm suit but realized right away that it was a nightmare to ride like that due to the weight, inflexibility and heat build-up.
Answer to all my problems was solved when I invested in a set of specialized cycling rain pants + jacket from MEC (Canadian version of Rei). It was pretty expensive but not as much as other big brand ones. The thing was fucking incredible. I rode during monsoon weather so often and my clothes would always be fine. It didn't have any kind of hood and I just wore a cycling cap, so my head would get wet, and my shoes were only "water-resistant" and I had no fenders so they would get a little soggy during the worst of it but it was fine as I had to change into workboots at work anyway. They make waterproof shoecovers for cyclists as well but I haven't personally tried them yet. They probably work fine.
But yeah, it was great fun ripping through the pouring rain for hours on end. One of my most memorable life experiences.

tl;dr Get dedicated rain cycling pants + jacket and some waterproof sneakers. It's that simple, picrel
>>
>>1802446
>>1802458
>>1802459
>>1802443
Cycling rainwear has strategic vents (like under your armpits )to cool you off. And you can open and close them based on the conditions.

I'm telling you guys, they're a game changer.
>>
>>1803288
Tried those, and you sweat like a motherfucker in them. The vents do nothing.
>>
>>1802367
This is how I spent most of my time off during our quarantine period. I think it was the only thing keeping me sane, I wish I could still just spend hours exploring my town and enjoying nature.
>>
I tried the poncho and rain jacket BS and only got wet on the inside. Less with poncho, but it flopped around and protected less area than a jacket.
So now I just put "quick drying" clothes and get wet, hoping to dry them before needing to ride again. Only put them overshoes on - cleats don't dry as fast. And a cap to keep as many rain drops off the shades as possible, so I can see where I'm going.
Also, if commuting, fenders are a must. Get the longest (full) and widest possible. Side spray is a thing, you know.

I'm more bummed about the bike getting wet and dirty rather than myself, since clothes dry and the bike needs to be wiped and brushed off all the road gunk.
If you don't have to, just don't ride in the rain.
>>
>>1802324
Kek, pathetic people, you can cycle in rain while I drive my car in comfort
>>
>>1803304
Take the wool pill. If everything you wear is wool, you're basically immune to rain. You'll get wet but it won't matter to you cause that icy feeling from wet cotton isn't there.
Also, you won't sweat as much and wool doesn't take on odor.
>>
>>1805204
you sound fat
>>
>>1805308
you wouldn't be lying on the internet would you now
>>
>>1802410
+ you go faster
>>
North face rain jacket and a pair of gym shorts that i hang tobdry while at work, simple as
>>
File: Ex-dLNDUYAUZiFs.png (4 KB, 1141x681)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>1805027

> I wish I could still just spend hours exploring my town and enjoying nature.

I completely agree, but you also sounded like a cyclist in jpg related anon
>>
>>1802481
People buy them but get run over by cars
>>
>>1805212
Trouble is
- it takes an age for the wool to dry afterwards
- this means the clothes will still be wet the next day, and soaked overnight. Don't rely on it for touring or you may get hypothermia
- though it may feel less damp until its saturated, its still full of heat robbing water conducting away your core temperature by convection and conduction.
- wool isn't very windproof unless a tough weave like loden
- it absorbs wayyyyy wayyyy more water than synthetics due to its fibrous hydrophilic core. Wool is HEAVY when wet, and very cold when soaked (like wearing a soaking wet towel)
A fleece treated with polygiene is almost as anti-odour with a lot better characteristics, weight, drying time, and lifespan, not to mention modern tight fitting aero cuts. Super fleece like Polartech Alpha Direct doesn't absorb any water at all - you can step in the shower and step out and after a shake the fleece is dry. Paired with a wind shirt you get really effective breathable and light rain protection that works like a Buffalo shirt (popular UK rainwear for active use)
>>
>>1805985
-Obviously you don't sleep in your wet clothes, you keep a seperate set of clothes packed water-tight just for sleeping.
-If you get hypothermia while riding a bike and wearing a wool jacket with Merino longsleeves underneath (even when they're wet), you are probably a frail 90-year-old and deserve to die.
-That "heat robbing water" cools you down wihle you ride. So you can go faster.
-Yes, wool gets heavy. Man up.
>>
>>1805212
Might just do that. Found a shop that manufactures jackets out of broadcloth that still contains wool grease, so it should stay dry for a while before soaking through.
>>
>>1806014
Ok so from this post you haven’t toured, or even camped. Can you ride a bike? Do you own one? All this is in doubt
>>
>>1806045
I've crossed the Pyrennees in jeans and a button-down shirt while it was raining the whole time.
The only time I got close to hypothermia was when I tried to cross Germany from north to south (1000km) in October without a jacket or sleeping bag, but I became less dumb as I got older.
>>
>>1805528
>jpeg
that's a fucking png you mong
>>
>>1802324
Riding a bike while raining is a bad idea because the rain will wash the street dirt on you, not because of the rain from the sky
The best way to ride a bike during a rain is not to ride it
>>
>>
>>1805304
you sound wet
>>
>>1802324
I tell all my friends to ride in the rain in normal clothing. It's a great thing to do, a good soaking always builds character.
>>
>>1809271
>he can't imagine being outside his soicage and enjoying the elements like an adjusted human bean
Oof.
>>
File: 1645632106988.jpg (59 KB, 613x562)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>1806478
Who cares ... NERD ..!
>>
Has anyone tried adapting something like this to a bike?
>>
>>1805027
and the streets and shit felt empty as fuck. trails were kinda more popular than usual in the 2nd half of pandemic
>>
File: 1638881009187.jpg (498 KB, 1008x1021)
498 KB
498 KB JPG
bugmen can't get wet huh? I'm trying to get into this board, but good grief you're just all so limpwristed and unimaginative. grown men, trying to figure out how to ride a bike in the rain.
>>
>>1814021
meds
>>
File: 1387345037391.gif (21 KB, 180x120)
21 KB
21 KB GIF
>>1814114
yeah man, whatever you say. I'll show I can be a good sport and play along though. I personally only bike in nothing but gym shorts, t shirt, thin socks and lowcut skate shoes. no I dont wear underwear. I take nothing in my pockets or a bag; just a water bottle strapped to the frame. on really hot days I'll ride through sprinklers or stop by a fresh water source (usually the mississippi) to soak my shirt in. rainy days I'll usually go without a shirt at all, they just end up getting heavy and awkward. I'd rather be wet and dry off in 10 min instead of having all this crap i have to hang on to.
>>
>>1814134
>retard hill person
Ah I see
>>
File: do4).jpg (90 KB, 716x537)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>1814135
well theres not much in the way of hills here in Minnesota but once you get closer to the twin cities you'll start seeing a lot of retards for sure. speaking of retards, careful you're starting to give yourself away. now would be a good time to say something witty.
>>
>>1802481
Most of the inconveniences of cars with none of the advantages.
>>
>>1802481
Extremely expensive and they perform really badly uphill
>>
>>1802324
Yes. For commuting.
>Best ventilation and movement.
>No need for leg suffocators.
>If needed, covers phone and backpack
>Small, fast to put on and away
>Covers hands
>Compatible with anything (clothes, accessories)
I tried them all - long poncho with arms, pro-racer jackets and full pants, moccasins+vests+helmet cover+wp shorts+fishing gloves etc. Most are pain in the ass and you're still wet from sweat.

Only disadvantage for this is wind. But that's usually problem in autumn or winter when you can just wear ski-jacket.
>>
>>1814279
Thanks for the info

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.