[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 71 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 185832.png (18 KB, 420x150)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
How walkable is the city nearest to you? How are you gonna get that score higher?

https://www.walkscore.com/
>>
File: 1466690964.jpg (94 KB, 729x364)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
OP is for Washington DC. One way to get the score higher is to turn Pennsylvania Ave into a pedestrian mall and expand the streetcar around the city. Another way is improving and expanding the existing bikeshare system.
>>
>the city nearesr to you

OP… i live in a city?
>>
>>1800185
>How are you gonna get that score higher?
This isn't Sim City so I'm not
>>
>>1800185
>How are you gonna get that score higher?
Be able to walk 10 minutes perectly fine and get the maximum points for everything in a 0.6 mile radius.
>>
>Unsupported city
>20 minute walk range displays 8min walk range
lmao
>>
File: watersports.jpg (69 KB, 638x572)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>the city nearest to you
Why is this board overrun with numtots who obsess over cities from afar?

Anyway here's my building's scorecard. Could be worse, could be better. The bike score is probably bad because it's so nightmarishly flat in the immediate vicinity but there's good riding not too far from here.
>>
>>1800185
>only has moscow, idaho
how utterly irrelevant of a city that is to bear the name of the grand capital. alright, I'll do it myself for the greatest city in the world.
>walkability
80. real moscow's size is frankly ridiculous, but if you split the elephant into burgers, you get a lot of individually very walkable neighborhoods. both the old center and the centrally planned communist-built residential areas set a very high bar already, and surprisingly, at least within the big ring road, new developments often follow suit. underground crossings are plentiful though, winter is a big slowdown because of insufficient snow and ice clearing, and some old industrial zones become impenetrable separators without using a car or public transport, but in general regardless of where you are most of the things you might want will be within walking distance. outside the outer ring though... god save your soul. (but that's not real moscow even if they pay moscow taxes so they don't count)
>transit
95. an easy top 5 transit city, and not only because of the single greatest metro system in the world. bus and tram routes and services are just as robust, and together they make a trip from any point to any other point of the city take no more than 45 minutes, usually much faster. marvelous.
>bikeability
55. there's barely any bike infrastructure outside of parks. you're pretty much a fast pedestrian. can you go on roads? should you? probably not but you can. you have no priority, stick to the right side and enjoy cars speeding past, protip- the faster you pedal the less scary it gets. riding on sidewalks is technically illegal, in practice nobody bothers to enforce it. oh, also, winter. no, it's not finland, you can't bike in moscow in winter. nevertheless, biking is very much viable in summer, just expect the wild west approach, don't do stupid things and don't cry when you're hurt.
>>
>>1800188
So use your city, if you'd like to
>>
File: file.png (20 KB, 297x236)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
Results for my area vary depending on how specific I am about city, zip code, and address. I can get scores ranging from 20-90 (Southern California btw). The high scores are bogus since they're for a tiny "downtown" area with very little housing nearby, and the low scores are skewed by steep hills. No transit score because transit may as well be a joke here.

But having lived other places, I'd say that my city should get marks about 55 for bikeable, and 25 for walkable (only because of how spread out things are, sidewalks are consistently very nice here actually). That almost nobody here walks or bikes to go places is something I will never understand - this is a beautiful place with near perfect weather for being outdoors almost every day of the year. I understand people living far from where they work due to housing costs being high may have to drive for their commute, but the people at the grocery store, hardware store, bank, etc. presumably live nearby and aren't driving from multiple cities away for those trips, so why not walk or bike for these local errands? Personally, most of the miles I put on my car involve going to/from LAX airport and I use a bicycle essentially all of my local needs, and I hope I'm setting a good example for my neighbors but frankly I have no real hope of things changing here...
>>
File: boisewalkscore.png (51 KB, 582x417)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
I think Boise is more bikeable/walkable than this gives it credit for. The greenbelt trail is a really good major bike/pedestrian thoroughfare imo.

>>1800187
DC hilly as fuck in NW area. Get the score higher by fixing the metro's myriad problems. They ever fix those faulty cars that could derail?
>>
File: muh walkscore.png (20 KB, 440x136)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
Meh
>>
THIS is real suffering. Ya'll niggas don't even imagine

Shitposting from my itoddler work phone plz no bully for phoneposting
>>
>>1800256
>They ever fix those faulty cars that could derail?
Nope lol.
>>
>walkability score of 97
>nightmare to walk or cycle in
>>
> city not available
mfw
>>
>>1800185
My neighborhood (West Coast).
>>
>>1800185
largest city
0-w
capital city
19-w 12-t 34-b
middle of nowhere
83-w
>>
Isn't this site just a marketing front for apartment companies?
>>
>>1800489
>Walk Score: nice
>Bike Score: nice
>Transit Score: lol

The absolute state of the west coast
>>
File: my city.png (11 KB, 270x140)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>
File: file.png (21 KB, 407x201)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
Southern "city" of 55k people.
No transit score because there's no transit.

There's lots of low hanging fruit. Installing some basic bike lanes would be technically easy and cheap. Likewise, crosswalks at major intersections would be a step in the right direction, as well as eliminating minimum parking requirements inside the old urban core near the Amtrak station.
None of this is going to happen though because the town is broke and is full of carbrained old boomers who can't imagine living any other way.
>>
>>1800185
Picked the city I live in
>>
File: 1631403666093.png (248 KB, 428x595)
248 KB
248 KB PNG
Out of my way plebs
this is what €1300 rent for a studio appartment gets you
>>
>>1801895
Yeah, but you have to live around all of those black people
Nah
>>
>>1801898
not in the 16th you dont
>>
City - 66 56 51

Neighborhood - 42 40 24

Me - 36 24 36

And yet I feel I can bike a lot. Not a ton of protected bike lanes I guess.
>>
>>1801902
Yeah I don't like the bike scores here. Doesn't translate to how good it actually is. Seems like the little painted bike markers bump the score up immensely. Do
>>
>>1800185
I'm not American so my city isn't on there, there's a yank city with the same name that has a walk score of 33
>>
>>1800185
It's bad. They're building more and more single detached family home suburban sprawl with cul-de-sac-laden maze streets and Euclidean zoning. Many of the condo projects in or near the city centre are delayed due to boomer NIMBYs organized on Facebook group echo chambers packing every zoning meeting.
>>
>>1801895
Yeah
But I have beaches
>>
>bike score of zero
>walk score of zero
>live a few miles from a major metropolitan
>>
>>1801898
>>1801899
>not in the 16th you dont
Kek
You didn't make the distinction "surrounded by niggers (100m radius)" vs "surrounded by niggers (1000m radius).
If a ship is sinking, it doesn't much matter if you're below deck or in the cabin.
>>
>>1801898
>black people
>the middle of paris
this is your brain on /pol/
>>
>>1800187
Got a 86 myself. Over near union station. There's not really anything I need that I can't walk to. Can I just take a moment to hate on the H St tram also
>>
File: IMG_20220125_151616.jpg (3.15 MB, 4160x3120)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
Croydon, London

>Walk score
About 80, medium density suburbia, your have a few corner shops within walking distance no matter where you are. However lots of stabby blacks to avoid
>transit score
About 90, very useful tram network, and plentiful busses, 15 minutes to London Bridge from East Croydon Station.
>bikability score
About 40, no real bike infrastructure. The southern half is very hilly and roads all funnel you onto a few narrow arterial roads that are always congested. Northern half is flat and has better roads but is the shitty part of town where all the immigrants and drug addicts live
>>
File: Screenshot_610.png (44 KB, 600x578)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
King West Village, Toronto.
They're adding more bike paths in the area which is great for commuting to work by bike. Can't say the same for the suburban parts of the city. Amalgamation was a mistake.
>>
>Walk score of 60
>Bike score of 43
>Transit not even listed

At least they’re sorta trying to improve things. There’s a bike path partly constructed along the strodes that plan to be expanded, and there is some buses when there previously wasn’t any at all.
>>
>>1800185
Based
>>
>>1800185
>get that score higher
Get rid of bicycles and scooters. Most serious threat to pedestrians.
>>
my suburb has a walk score of 29. is that bad or good?
>>
>>1800185
here in Europe this is not even a thing, all cities, all towns are super-walkable
>>
>>1802738
You'd think that but how much can you really reach in 5 minutes of slowly walking?
>>
File: nr1.png (33 KB, 400x428)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>1802703
Good.
>>
>>1802741
How much can you really reach in 5 minutes of slowly driving?
>>
>>1800185
>https://www.walkscore.com/
I don't trust this shit because it's integrated on zillow
>>
>>1802794
>I don't trust this shit because it's integrated on zillow

That's because walk score shares its API for companies to use
>>
File: asdfasdfsd.jpg (14 KB, 509x180)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
the cunt hair thin strip of space between painted lines, slapped onto an unprotected 45mph road where everyone's doing 60 on the bitch anyway legally counts as a bike lane, so they say the city is very bikeable. with very few exceptions, this is pretty much what you get. some of the most agressive drivers in the country, and for what? guess the city
>>
>>1802741
The big secret is to be fit enough and have a nice enough neighbourhood so you won't be bothered by 15 minutes slowly walking.
>>
>>1800185
I don't know, I also don't care, why would I even bother and waste my time to make it walkable?
>>
File: 1643776133400.png (17 KB, 302x218)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>1800185
I live in a formerly industrial city in the southern US; it's a typical "American decay" type place now with all the factories being turned into apartments etc. I've looked into the history of it though. 100 years ago there were electric trolleys running all over the city and even out of the city to neighboring towns. The whole "New South" era is cool, like we used to be so much more technologically advanced, after a century of technological regression, this city is about as developed today as it was 2-300 years ago. Everything people advocate for and want the government to provide now is just stuff we already had a century earlier.
>>
This is where I live in America. Jealous?
>>
>>1802741
Just don't be fat
>>
>>1803906
Don't much care.
I'm the guy who posted "Meh".
>>
>>1801910
I moved to the mainland a year ago and really miss how bikeable Honolulu is. I lived in McCully-Moiliili and worked downtown and the only time I felt unsafe cycling was the occasional oblivious driver turning left through the bike lane on King Street.
>>
File: DGVXGGBUAAEAsql.jpg (141 KB, 1200x901)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>1802741
I don't walk "slowly", Only boomers do this.
I can reach almost everything I need within 5 minutes of walking. Only going to work takes 12 minutes.
And I love walk because it's really nice here.
>>
File: merica.png (17 KB, 319x248)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
ooohhhh sayyy
>>
>>1800708
>not having crosswalks at major intersections
>walk score 36
these scores are a meme. and I thought I had it bad...
>>
>>1800185
49 walk , 30 transit , 53 bike. I am disappointed but not surprised.
>>
File: t132r5132r312r321.png (23 KB, 312x275)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
In the East Vancouver area, I suppose I'm 30 minutes by train from downtown Vancouver.
>>
>>1807674
Where I live lots of roads don't have sidewalks, despite there being a need. This is within city limits. There's usually a dirt path/'desire line', but they turn to shit when it rains (often).
>>
entire city and section of city I am in
>>
>>1800185
41, nothing
>>
File: neighborhood.png (23 KB, 297x216)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
and I can legally ride through stop lights.
>>
can get coffee within 5 min walk, same with prescriptions, and good groceries (not anything fancy)
>>
File: reality.png (21 KB, 306x248)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>
>>1802174
Unfortunately, even if the poster's retarded, in this very spot niggers and sandniggers are swarming. Mostly due to all of the suburban RER lines converging to that particular station.
>>
File: walkwalk.png (8 KB, 457x102)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
Are you jelly /n/?
>>
File: IMG_20220609_224401.jpg (74 KB, 1080x968)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>1809614
Parking isn't too expensive here (~$100 per month), so you could still have a car if you really wanted one.

Still think having a car is nice if you wanna go out on the weekend.
>>
>>1800708
this feels like louisiana
>>
Pretty big fan of mine, honestly if I didn't have kids I probably wouldn't have a car.

Small tourist lake Michigan beach town. About 20% of coworkers don't own cars (service industry). Groceries are the only thing far away ~1.5/2 miles but they can get delivered. No transit except for the beach bus on weekends.
>>
>literally three people in the past 12 months have died on two crosswalks one block apart
>another person was severely injured
>literally on the edge of a college campus with 30,000 students
>no plans lmao
At least one of the drivers went to jail.
>>
Riding bike here is a risk. No bike lanes, aggressive drivers, stroads galore, and every road is uphill.
I'm trying to convince myself to start an electric-assist bike shop to try and force some change
>>
>>1810309
>college campus with 30K students
>no influence on trying to fix the road situation

how is this even possible? wouldn't a large university be able to sway the local traffic officials to fix this situation?
>>
File: file.png (26 KB, 310x293)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
North side of Chicago, I like it here
>>
>>1811399
>how is this even possible? wouldn't a large university be able to sway the local traffic officials to fix this situation?
They never vote.
>>
>>1809606
>nooooo public transport isn't going to bring undesirables to your neighborhood
>>
>>1811417
Sure but universities would have the incentive to fix the problem, even if it's just out of their own self-interest I would think.
>>
>>1811434
I work for a large university. The townies push back on this type of shit. They seem to harbor a grudge despite the fact that the town wouldn't exist without us.
>>
Feels bad man
>>
File: FOgSVL0.jpg (873 KB, 2048x2048)
873 KB
873 KB JPG
>>1811543
Madison was nice to walk around but I never needed to take the transit system. How fucked is it?
>>
i fucking hate faggot cyclists and public transport with hobos and i drive everywhere
>>
Lol
>>
>>1809717
You got it. North shore of Lake Pontchartrain.
>>
>>1800185
I don't understand this; it gives my city a 0 but you can walk literally anywhere with ease. Then it says something about a commute to a city that's about an hour's drive away
>>
File: ams.jpg (135 KB, 750x422)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
Amsterdam.

Probably 95/30/100 or so.
>>
File: walkla.jpg (173 KB, 972x521)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
It's absurd that they rated LA this high, makes me wonder if they've ever actually spent time here or if they just looked at maps and massively underestimated the size of LA blocks.
>>
>>1809563
lol, what city?

my city got
70 walkable, idk how, cuase half the city is a suburb on top of the hill which is 45 minute walk from the only grocery store we have which was shut down. gotta drive to next town over for groceries... or pedal over another massive hill
>>
>>1817982
Is it referring to LA or LA County as a whole?
>>
>>1818222
Since it says city in the description, I imagine they mean the former.
>>
>>1817982
I mean most parts of LA are pretty walkable, and the transit will take you where you want to go. It just doesn’t look like you want it to.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.