[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 17 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1445695675422.jpg (32 KB, 600x602)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
Could the reason that I hate cycling have anything to do with the fact that I've only ever ridden $120 Walmart mountain bicycles everywhere?
>>
No, that's all I've ever ridden, and I've done marathon distances in a single go, at max speed. You're just too unfit to ride it well , captcha: sswar
>>
Could also be where you ride. Some places are more pleasant than others.
>>
>>1800087
I don't know why I've always been so unwell, heart-health-wise.
I lift a lot 2pl8 bench, 1pl8 OHP; not fat, I promise not coping, but I have terrible fucking heart health.

Wanted to get into cycling again to improve it, because something's genuinely wrong with me, has been, my whole life.
When I was a little kid, I had mitral valve prolapse, but they said you grow out of it.

I get fatigued really fucking fast - not hard to exert a lot of force, just impossible to do it for any extended period of time.
Sweat insanely from my scalp, nowhere else on my body. Fucking streams of sweat from it.
Could there be something wrong with me?

>>1800089
It's a little hilly around here, but not too bad. It really is just getting insanely fucking fatigued.
>>
>>1800092
To add on, I've always enjoyed sports - would play tag outside, garden a fuck-ton, just work in general.
But I get really quickly fatigued, and then need about 5-10 minutes to catch my breath.
Then I'm back to normal - 15 minutes of work, then 5-10 minutes off work, I can do that for about 3 hours at a time.
>>
>>1800092
If true, you may just have been fucked from birth. My uncle has always been a super active outdoorsman type, and has been on the thin side of healthy his entire adult life. He also knew from his mid 20's that his cholesterol is naturally way too high, so he has been eating an old person low cholesterol diet since then, and he still had a double bypass at age 56. None of his siblings got fucked over as bad ahe did, even after not being near as mindful of his health. Just the genetic lotto.
>>
>>1800092
Also, that valve should be checked as you are an adult. My father in law had to have his mitral valve replaced because of that, and it really improved his ability to do cardio.
>>
>>1800092
>>1800096
you don't know how to pace yourself, and your boat anchor BSO is not helping

if you had a properly geared road bike and you learned to spin you could go uphill all day without taking any breaks except potty breaks. climbing does not take a lot of force. mashing against the wrong gear on knobby tires just wastes all your energy and turns it into heat and noise instead of forward motion
>>
>>1800104
OP, on second thought, your symptoms sound a lot like my father in law as his valve detriorated. He went from a Boston marathoner to being a lifter who got winded by walking the dogs in about 3 years.
>>
>>1800103
>>1800104
>>1800107
That's fucked, I appreciate the advice a lot, anon.
Might be saving my life then, bless you.
I'm going to go to a doctor then, wouldn't hurt - fuck medications, and what-not, but if it's genuinely that serious, I guess it can't hurt to check.

When your father-in-law had it replaced, did it last a while?
Is he still around?
Pretty fucked up intensive surgery, I presume, so like 6 months recovery?

>>1800105
I hope that's the case instead, anon.
I actually went for a short little ride (but by short I mean 750m, so literally nothing), and I didn't get too badly fucked up, even though it's a good 30C outside, but still.
I will also see if I can get a nicer quality bike.
Cheers.
>>
>>1800116
remember that if you have to get out of the saddle to maintain your speed uphill you're in the wrong gear. likewise if your hips or shoulders rock even in the slightest. for climbing you should spin lazily at around 60 rpm with the only movement above your hips being your easy breathing and your slowly blinking eyes. mouth closed, neutral expression, like you're just sitting there waiting for the bank teller. this is how you intimidate your rivals. save the faster spins and/or mashing/rocking dramatics for flat sprints and attacks
>>
>>1800128
I actually went into my lowest gear to see if that works, anon, but I had trouble still - it was really fucking tough to mash the pedals down.
I don't understand how the inclines measurements for cyclists work, but I can say, by eye, it was about a 15 degree angle, and I had trouble at the lowest gear.
>>
>>1800129
15 degrees is a very steep climb, arguably barely rideable except for very short distances. you sure you don't mean 15 percent?
>>
>>1800134
No, no, I'm talking like the degrees on a protractor. Not even sure what a percent incline is. I wasn't aware that's steep?
I've got hills that're near 30 degrees here, now those are proper steep.
>>
>>1800143
the hardest climbing stages in professional road cycling are generally under 10% average which is less than 6 degrees on the protractor

I suspect you are measuring wrong, and if you are not, those are very short distances, nobody is building a road on a sustained 30 degree slope straight up a mountainside. the slightest amount of wet or ice or sand and it would become a death trap
>>
>>1800116
My FIL had his replaced for ths first time probably 10 years ago or so, and then he had another valve giving him trouble that needed a different surgery a couple years back. Fun fact: the replacement came from a pig heart. They checked the replacement valve while they were in there, and it was holding strong, if it wasn't they would have redone it at the time.
He's still around, he's just over 60, and has recovered fully from the more recent surgery in about 6 months like you figured. His cardio these days comes more from swimming, skiing, and snowboarding rather than running, but that's because his knees are fucked. he's very clearly feeling better than before, and 100% felt like it was worth it.
>>
>>1800086
Veans
>>
>>1800086
Maybe. But I know many people, who have biked for decades, well into their 60’s and 70’s who have ridden nothing but walmart bikes and used 150 bikes. Granted, they are predominantly immigrants (better diet) who work labourous jobs so they are in far better shape for their age than the average western person.

You could pick up a bike that would’ve cost brand new, 800 bucks for like 300 on craigslist. You could always give it a try.

You don’t need $100 mountain bike, you could buy a Walmart hybrid/city bike too. They exist. They are lighter, and have thinner tires so they are easier to drive on streets but won’t puncture like road bikes when you go over pebbles
>>
>>1800150
Funny you say that, actually - that road is a bit of a death-trap.
Our contractor (had him do a bit of work with the plumbing / electrical shit) totaled his car on that hill.
In my 8 months of living here, I've already seen 4 cars in a ditch, just over 3 months of winter.

When it's time to go DOWN the hill, the bike accelerates to a good 40km/h in 30 meters, without any aerodynamics, a shitty Walmart mountain bike at that.
>>
>>1800156
That's good then,

>>1800159
So, maybe putting a some more effort into my health / technique, while perhaps getting a medical checkup on my heart specifically as the other anons suggested.

Will definitely try to look into a hybrid as well.
I might even get a (I know it's weak as shit, but with the distances I want to go, i.e. about 20km or so one way), light pedal assist e-bike - spotted one on Craigslist for 350, and it looks like a commuter / hybrid / gravel bike sort of thing.

>>1800156
I heard about that, actually.
They want to engineer pigs so that they can transplant an entire heart into a human with minimal work, and no risk of rejection. Don't remember how the fuck they do it, and they've been doing valves for decades now.

Well, it's reassuring that he seems okay now, all the best to him. At least it's not certain fucking death for me if something is wrong then.
Just sucks ass, as I'm not even 25 yet, always tried to be healthy too. But, gotta roll with the punches, so no cry-babying.

Will definitely keep at it then, and see if I improve.
I hope I do.

>>1800157
Pardon?
>>
>>1800092
Your saddle is too low. That’s literally it.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (188 KB, 1280x720)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>1800165
Sounds like you want one of these novelty meme cassettes. As a roadie I always thought they were a joke but maybe there are situations where they're appropriate
>>
Just import the cheapest mountain bike from Italy. You will not regret that.

Sources: bought picrel used for 40€, back in early 2000 was a freebie if you bought enough petrol at Esso.
>>
File: bernal.jpg (151 KB, 700x897)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
reminder that this mexican wandered onto the course by mistake and ended up coming second in a major race
>>
File: goldenboi.gif (320 KB, 439x293)
320 KB
320 KB GIF
>>1800086
Yes, definately

It's actually insane how inefficient low end mtbs are. I overhauled one recently for someone and rode it maybe 5km with some hills to test it out. So it had fresh grease in the bearings even, and a new chain, and it would have been a lot worse before. Holy fuck. The difference is absolute night and day. Sinking into the fork on every pedal stroke. How fucking abysmally slow cheap knobblies ride.

Gave me flashbacks to getting my first road bike in high school, some low end steel racer for $80 when i'd been riding a mtb for so long. Truely amazing getting something fast.
>>
>>1800096
a lot of people's instinct on a bicycle, especially sporty people, is just to go hard, in a jerky sporadic way, and then rest by coasting.
That's not really the best way to ride. The best way to ride a bicycle, is a smooth, moderate, constant effort over time and distance. It requires a good fit and learning the form to even pedal smoothly takes hundreds of hours of riding. It takes a lot of people effort to deliberately pace themselves and not get overboard fanging around.

You can do high bursts of effort but they should be in amongst hours of solid and moderate spinning and your recovery is still keeping somewhat of a pace on, you shouldn't cook yourself.
>>
>>1800227
Was he at least drafted into a pro team?
I remember another South American farmer made it into the news by going as fast as Lopez maybe on an old mtb
>>
>>1800227
Is there any article about this in English I can't find anything
>>
>>1800086
yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A6bKUCcDW0
>>
Honestly for sub 20 km/h speeds the tires you ride make the most difference.
You want something high TPI and supple, lightweight
Use latex tubes also.

Rolling weight on your wheels is much worse than static weight on your bike. The best cheap upgrade you can do is lighter better tires and latex tubes
>>
>>1800227
>by mistake
look at that smug face and 90s mtb he btfo them on purpose
>>
>>1800335
Tl;dr: 50 year old man who lives in the area and is used to riding that route because he's like a corn picker or something joined an organized bike race full of Mexican yuppies while wearing jogging pants and sneakers, and beat all but one.

Also it was only a major race internally to Mexico, which isn't saying much but still a 50 year old on a shitty steel MTB going up against a bunch of 25 year olds on $3000 bikes and beating all of them is still pretty much the /n/ fantasy.

They interviewed him and he basically talked like a pro athlete saying he just wants more people to appreciate the sport, or something.
>>
>>1800409
What an absolute chad
>>
File: 9bf.png (128 KB, 457x471)
128 KB
128 KB PNG
Anons, OP here - have an update for you.
I've been working really hard on cycling regularly, and I've taken all of the advice anons have given:
>pacing myself
>breathing fully in and out
>getting better tires

And it seems to be working.
I couldn't ride 800 feet as of two weeks ago, but yesterday, I actually completed a 15KM ride!
I still get really tired, but I try not to wind myself up ("my pressure is going up", "this is so stressful"), and instead am focusing on how pleasant the ride is.

I've been trying to eat better, drink more water, and ride in cooler weather as well.
Next week riding to the closest town - nearly 30km round-trip!
It's not so bad after all.

Thanks a lot anons, and bless you all.
You guys have literally gotten me into this hobby again, I was a step from giving up, and now, I think I'll ride for years to come.
>>
>>1803818
Cont.
I also realized my old tires were flat as fuck - I don't know where I was told this, but I was told to ride at 10PSI.
Which, of course, is nearly fucking impossible.
Retarded of me, but after getting it up to 45PSI, it was orders of magnitude easier - I did a 4km ride the very day I realized what was wrong.

Because it's a shitty Walmart bike, I've decided to tune it up, which helped make the shifting a lot easier. As anons said though, it doesn't make a massive difference, so I'll keep riding it, because now, I'm pretty happy with it.
>>
>>1803819
Last.
Finding destinations to ride to also really helped.
Without any sort of incentive (just ride 10 kilometres down a country road, then back), it got really fatiguing, quickly, because I didn't have any sort of context for how far I was / only looked forwards to getting back.

But adding more goals along the way made the destination that much more enjoyable.
As some anons advised though, I will still go to the doctor in a few weeks to get my heart checked out - hopefully though, it'll get better with training and practice.
>>
>>1800086
Nah. I took a 299 walmart mountain bike to italy and rode it for 6 months and traded it to a bum outside roma termini for a dunhill cigarette before flying back home.

I remember my cool to me roadmaster with SIS and a nut pad like a bmx even though it was geared. The first bike with gears among my friends! Thanks Dad.

I remember putting bmxs into slides in the sand at the side of the road and flying into the cattails.

You love bikes you love bikes. Nowadays I ride a $900 road bike 2500 miles a year.
>>
>>1803821
Pretty comfy, anon.
But, turns out it was partially related >>1803818
- I was riding on near-flat tires, and my bike was completely out of tune. I realized I was also out of shape as shit, far more than I thought, and just never was good at endurance sports like cycling.

But, I figured it all out, and have to say, it's a lot more enjoyable.
>>
>>1803822
I will give you this advice. cycling and other enduro sports are like running and walking. You get good real fast.

By the end of the summer you'll be able to go 60km or more on that little cheap bike and at a faster rate than you did 15km today.

If you bought a road bike today and rode 150 km a week or so by the end of the summer you could do a 100km ride easy in a single ride.
>>
>>1803862
my advice is to get gud and ride your cheap bike and save up money and in the middle of the winter, the dead middle of the winter you get yourself a bike to reward the KMs you put down.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.