[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 48 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1624090814252.jpg (216 KB, 1280x720)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
sheldonbrown.com
parktool.com/blog/repair-help
yarchive.net/bike/index.html

previous: >>1797418
>>
parts question guys
I've currently got shimano claris RS200 175mm cranks but I wanted to go down to 170mm. Unfortunately the standard cranks are either sold out or bloody expensive. Does anyone know if there are reasonable 3rd party alternatives. Obviously the non-drive arm looks like any crank arm but the drive arm has the specific shape to it.
>>
White tyres good or bad?

I vaguely recall that - in tennis, at least - white overgrip (it's a plastic stripe that wraps over the grip on a tennis racquet) is to be preferred over black or any other colour, for grip reasons.

The same applies to tyres? Durability is secondary, it's for my town rider. All I care for is grip.
>>
>>1799922
Any colored tyres are shit but white ones are by far the worst. Get black only, no matter how much the missus says the white is prettier.
>>
>>1799922
when it comes to bicycle tires, black has the most grip, any other color is just a sacrifice in service of aesthetics
>>1799920
nah, bite the bullet and buy the real thing
>>
>>1799922
Also tennis is for faggots
>>
>>1799915
adhesive foil to change accent colours, yes or no?
>>
>>1799927
Nah tennis is cool for the following reasons

>you get to hang out with the rich guys
>if you ugly you can pin it on noble ancestry
>hot girls play it in the vain hope to score the next Jannik Sinner as husband
>you make good networking
>>
Tubed?

Or tubeless?

My current bike has tubed 700×38C tyres, and I've never had a puncture. But I'm considering building a road bike with 700×28C tyres. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to go tubeless...

I've only ever had one tube puncture with my current bike, and that was as a result of a crash. But everything I keep reading about tubed road bike tyres is that you can expect to have 4 punctures a month. I've never had an ordinary puncture in 9 months!

Are the tubeless shills just that? Or is there a real advantage to going tubeless?
>>
>>1799920
>claris crankset
https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Claris-8-Speed-Bicycle-Crankset/dp/B071RPXF34/ref
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SM-BBR60-Ultegra-FC-CX70-Hollowtech/dp/B00CABINCY/ref
The RS200 one is cheap junk, don't get another one.
>>1799927
Tennis is the only sport I know of that's any fun to watch live without pre-recording it in advance so I can skip all the ads and dead air.
>>1799937
Tubes are fine for streets unless you plan on riding on gravel or shitty roads. Flats will always eventually happen and you should carry what you need to fix one, but 4 a month would be crazy of course. How many you get comes down to the quality of tire, keeping the pressure where it should be, and how much shit you run over.
>>
Whats an easy way to keep a multitool on a bike? Got a small one for only 5 bucks but have no way to store it on the bike. Should I just use a rubberband or something? I feel like it would fuck up the paint bad (not that I mind that too much) or it would just bounce out eventually.
>>
>>1799920
>RS200 170mm
there's a hundred on ebay (from legit sellers)

>bloody
might have to spring for international shipping though...
>>
File: 1647895368401.jpg (190 KB, 1920x1440)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>1799944
If by 'easy' you mean 'free' then duct tape it to the frame somewhere or if you have bottle cage(s) make a container out of an empty bottle. Otherwise get a saddle bag like a normal person.
>>
>>1799945
Yeah I was just about to say, the only place that reliably seems to have them is the states. If I have to do that then I will other than
>>1799942
suggestion where I hadn't thought about doing a whole BB replacement but that seems way overcost to buy a new BB as well and specific tool because gotta squeeze those customers right.
>>
>>1799946
I'm not gay so I don't want bags on my bike. I could tape it, but over time the tape would wear off; also it probably wouldn't tape back on well. But I could try.
>>
>>1799942
>shitty roads
Are UK roads of this quality?
The numbers of potholes and really worn down tarmac seems really prevalent.

I've had a car blow a tyre out from a hidden pothole (car had a proper spare tyre anyway, and someone in a vintage 80s Ferrari stopped to ask if any help was required, which was very unexpected), had a car tyre have a slow puncture from a large nail, that was just left in the ground - unfortunately the nuts were on too tight from the dealership, and roadside assistance was necessary to get the punctured wheel off.
Oh, and tyre wear on UK roads is fucking insane - had fuel efficient Hankook soft compound go from road legal to bald after a month of driving on a motorway for a month. Switched to hard compound Firestones, and it hardly ever wears, but fuel efficiency takes a bit of a hit.
This is a bit more of an /o/ discussion, but UK roads are borderline third world. After a decade and half of austerity, infrastructure is total garbage. Any reason why a bunch of different car reviewers hate hard suspension in sports cars???

My current bike, as I mentioned, has tubed Kenda 700×38c tyres - they're pretty good at the shit road conditions, but my bike is a heavy hybrid frame. No good for speed or hill climbing.
>>
>>1799947
A little extra money to never have to deal with square taper again is a great fucking deal. A shop could install it for you for not much (maybe free if you bought it from them) if you don't want to buy the tool.
>>
>>1799944
>>1799949
try velcro. theres bike specific for enduro mtbikers but a strip of it should work just as fine.
>>
>>1799950
>Are UK roads of this quality
Hahaha oh boy, I can feel my blood pressure spiking just from you mentioning them. I swear that everyone who has any kind of hand in road maintenance, financing, planning, work completion, whatever, should be forced at gunpoint to ride over them all day. The second they make a noise, lift out of the saddle or get bumped off the pedals because of the absolute state of these gravel tracks masquerading as roads they are instantly shot.
>>
>>1799944
Just get a saddle bag. 3€ at decathlon
>>
>>1799954
So, tubeless is the best for UK?
>>
>>1799958
I mean if tubeless is best for roads that have inch deep trenches running across them, ironworks that have caved in on themselves or road surfaces that look like someone played tetris when they were laying the tarmac then sure.
>>
What in general are the bottom bracket widths for 90s steel mtbs ? 68 as usal ?
>>
File: Panaracer Lads.jpg (97 KB, 872x705)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>1799922
https://www.renehersecycles.com/black-tread-only/
>>
>>1799970
its about 50/50 between 68 and 73
>>
>>1799949
you are gay.
>>
Brief history lesson (I can go on and on...): drop bars were developed to give the OPTION of an aero position, with the tops about level with the saddle to allow comfortable cruising. Over the years, many racers and wannabe racers and wannalooklike racers have shoved the bars lower and lower, so they suffer nearly all the time. Works for pros, who can train six hours a day, but it's hard for the rest of us.
Several years ago, after 30 years of trying to make my body conform to a racer's idea of how a bike should be set up, I decided to raise the bars and make the bike fit me, rather than the other way around. Instantly, I could ride 30 percent or so longer without discomfort, and my times on familiar rides went DOWN, whether because I was fitter or I didn't have to fight the bike.
Don't completely ignore the advice of the ARPs, but for ordinary humans, there are other ways to set up a bike than the one you see in the Tour de France.
>>
>>1799980
you didn't learn anything you just got old
>>
>>1799981
let's see your saddle to bar drop kiddo
>>
File: get good.jpg (115 KB, 768x574)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>1799984
>>
>>1799990
Midosuji, is that you?
>>
>>1799980
>Doesn't ride on his elbows while gripping the saddle with his anus
Seriously m8 are you sure you even know how to ride a bike?
>>
>>1799990
Is that setup so you can piddock superman style for the entire race
>>
File: hub.png (2.02 MB, 1148x1188)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB PNG
Is there a way to figure out the bearing type (cup and cone or cartridge bearing) from the outside without tools? My front hub is feeling a bit rough and I would like to know what I'm going into before I start taking it apart since I haven't done hub service before.

I was unable to find anything on the hub except the brand, which is Linus (made in Taiwan, not by the Linus Bike brand). Couldn't find manufacturer data on it, probably because it's over 10 years old.
>>
File: 1635245567269.jpg (13 KB, 250x250)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
Can anybody has some clues on this sound
Happens only when i ride, no matter the gear
Happens with and without the saddle/saddle post
Its not rhythmic and it is not there when I turn the pedals with the wheels not touching the ground
I tried three different set of pedals one of wich brand new the sound is still there
I the chain doesnt seems to jump, it's not worn out and its clean and well lubricated

https://voca.ro/1eyxDcDGD9RW
>>
>>1800015
remove the wheel from the bike and pull that rubber boot off
it will just fit right back on after
post a pic with it off

should be apparent then

almost certainly cup and cone
>>
File: hub2.jpg (169 KB, 805x1081)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>1800020
Looks like a cup and cone indeed without the rubber.

Is there a standard to the ball bearings and cones or do I have to take it apart to figure out which spares I need (if it's even worth repairing, that is)?
>>
>>1800019
I assume you've already looked at the Sheldon "clicks, creaks, and clunks" page?
Jim Langley also has a fairly extensive page
https://jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html
>Its not rhythmic
Eh, almost all bike noises are, or can be made to be rhythmic. Are you saying you can't make the noise repeat?
In the audio clip, are you constantly pedalling (not pedalling, letting off, pedalling, letting off)?
>>
>>1800036
>Its not rhythmic
I was implying it's not the chain rubbing on the front mech

I was costantly pedalling except for the brief moment in the start of the clip, same with this more clear clip

https://voca.ro/1h8Avpj5TPOq

It's almost a snap
>>
File: IMG20220514174809.jpg (2.98 MB, 4000x3000)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB JPG
I flared my hoods inwards on my 38 cm bars and it feels super ergo. Is there a reason I should not ride like this
>>
>>1800043
Does the noise happen while coasting, or only when the cranks are going around?
Can you 'feel' this noise through the bike, or only hear it?
>>
>>1800049
only when pedaling, i can feel it thru the pedals and i feel like its coming from the chain. Its not the quick link though since i tried with and without it
>>
>>1800047
That looks like it would flare my elbows, which doesn't sound nice at all. But if it's comfy for you then, sure why not I guess?
>>
>>1800053
>i feel like its coming from the chain
How can you tell? As opposed to how it would somehow feel different if it was any other part of the drive train? If you're experienced enough to have developed that much of a discerning sensibility you would not need to ask a bunch of anonymous yak herders on the intertnets for advice.

I've had that same symptom form improperly mounted pedals, worn out pedal bearings, worn out bottom bracket, a bent sprocket tooth, misaligned gears and who know what other mystery causes.
I would start by remounting the pedals and making sure the pedal threads are properly greased and tightened, and work myself outward from there.
>>
>>1800047
might make the brakes a little awkward
>>
>>1800075
>>1800047
>>1800068
I am just gonna try it out. It really feels incredible.
Braking is fine in the hoods but a little more awkward in the drops. I wanted to get real narrow flared bars but this seems like a good introduction
>>
>>1800026
The bearings are a standard size, the cones are very specific in width, but any of close enough width will work. There’s a good website that sells every conceivable size of cone (I’m sure another anon remembers the url)
>>
>>1799990
cope
>>
>>1800095
Thanks for the info. I live in Europe so the website may or may not be a good solution for me, but it could be a good reference catalog either way.

I was thinking of getting the parts out and then go for a trip through the local bike shops to see if they have the spares available. If that fails I will either try to find out if I can get the missing parts online (if I can figure out the specific parts I need) or put the old parts back in after cleaning and start looking for a set of new (or second hand) wheels. If the hub bearing surfaces are damaged I might have to look for new wheels anyway.
>>
How do I improve my general and more importantly sprinting speed?

I don't seem to get over 40km/h for a brief period but I'd like to improve it.

Should I start lifting with my legs and eating chicken and rice?
>>
Posting in the new thread

I have a 29 inch wheel with centrelock, it has a slightly fucked front hub from a crash.

I was thinking of changing it later in the year for a dynamo hub, is it best to buy this then ask a bikeshop to fix it, or should I just buy a new fucking wheel?

How much do you think a bike shop will charge for this?
>>
>>1800112
???????????

it depends on the country, if it's an expensive bike shop or not and whatever

it's around 50-80 eur here
>>
File: 2022-05-14-154740.png (369 KB, 1288x1116)
369 KB
369 KB PNG
>>1800026
>>1800095
I mostly use Shimano hubs so ymmv. I usually ebay first for NOS stuff, but I've also ordered axles, cones, etc from Wheels Mfg. They list their measurements, but a lot of their stuff has been out of stock.
>>1800109
I've polished cups & cones before (had a bearing crack & gouge the rear ds cup), but even if you have the right setup and know what you're doing, it's probably not worth it. There's no restoring it to 'new', it will always be a worn part.
>>
Can I reduce pressure on my perineum by riding a smaller frame bike or one with less reach? I'm 181cm size guide says 55/56 but I found cool second hand bikes but they're 54. Try the smaller ones or just get a 56 and reduce reach by using a shorter stem
>>
>>1800112
Buy a new wheel, I wouldn't trust a post-crash wheel
>>
>>1800133
Undersizing exists, I ride an S frame while I am sized for M.
>>
>>1800133
Smaller frame gives you a harsher ride and lower handlebars relative to the saddle.
Shorter stem gives you more squirrelly steering.
Choose which bothers you less.
>>
>>1800110
Squats and oats
>>
>>1800112
A bike shop will charge standard wheel lacing fees
Probably less than $100 if you have everything, but wheel lacing is one of those things I think shops should charge more for
>>
File: 20220514_164455.jpg (3.59 MB, 4000x3000)
3.59 MB
3.59 MB JPG
Got this old schwinn for free at work, seems like everything works, I already have a dedicated serious mountain bike and I wanna do some egregious stuff with my new shitbike. Thinking I'm just gonna service the old schwinn Altus, throw a new chain on and some cheap road tires and use it when I go to the gas station and so forth. Might even put a solid suspension fork on it. What do you guys think? Yes I know it's a money pit
>>
>>1799930
>adhesive foil
Don't think I've ever seen anyone use this one a bike... It will probably flake off in the long run, but if you don't mind potentially having to re-apply more foil in the future it would probably work okay.

>>1799937
The main benefit of tubeless is that it lets you run lower pressures with higher volume tires, but with relatively narrow ride tires that advantage almost disappears, the only real advantage is that sealant can fill minor punctures - the trade off is cost, so unless you already have tubeless compatible rims and tires and access to a compressor, tubes are still the way to go on the road.

>>1799944
If you don't want a bag for some reason, make a simple DIY tool roll or just use a rubber band around that multitool and your spare tube and strap those to your saddle rails or carry it in a jersey pocket.

>>1800110
As previous anon said, squats. Also core exercises are important too.

>>1800152
Could be a whole worse. Just ride it, and swap the tires for slicks if you're going to be on pavement all the time.
>>
>>1800153
>Could be a whole worse. Just ride it, and swap the tires for slicks if you're going to be on pavement all the time.
That's the plan. Just gonna ride it placed where I don't want my nice bike to get stolen.
>>
>>1800110
I recently took my gym cardio to outside biking, felt like leg days really paid off, don't just lift, do leg extensions too.
>>1800153
say I don't mind flaking, also say I couldn't find the blue I wanted, and I found the blue I wanted with glitter in acyrlic paint section... and started painting over the parts I want without masking tape despite having some... then painted whole bike...

now I have a bike painted in glitter blue, which I'll have paint like two more times and have it flaked off in single trip. I regret nothing but feel like I really should.

cleaning it will be a pain in the ass won't it...
>>
Need to change my cassette/derailleur but are master link chains the meta? 2nd time this chain had one pop off
Didn't happen on my old chain which was master link
Seems like a pretty big flaw that they can fail if the chain slips
>>
>>1799930
You could get some cheapish vinyl, it's generally tough and didn't mess up any of my paint under it.
>>
>>1800200
did the master link come with the chain?
I put a kmc masterlink on a shimano chain the other day, which everyone says is fine, and there's a little play in there. I don't really trust it, whereas i've never had a kmc or sram masterlink fail on chains they came with, they fit tighter, and i've worn out dozens of them.

Shimano chains don't use masterlinks, they use special joining pins, and if you install them correctly it's max reliable, and shimano chains are very good. But it is a little bit trickier to install them, you can bend it very easily. Has to be perfectly lined up. And if you're tinkering then it's very helpful to be able to remove a chain at will.
>>
>>1800152
that's a diamondback anon.
I see no reason to throw money at it. Is that chain even stretched? Nice tires are nice but it's not like shit tires dont roll and those atleast aren't inappropriate.

First priority for a junky beater is getting a rack+basket.
You could do a rear obviously but you could also do lowrider baskets
>>
>>1800047
People might think you're doing it to be 'aero', which is apparently a thing, which you may or may not be concerned about.
>>
>>1800112
Buy a whole new wheel. Look at german sites, they sell complete wheels with dynamo hubs and decent spec. Like Bike24, Bike-Components, Starbike. Having an lbs build you one will be more expensive.

dynamo hub is a very good idea btw. They're awesome.
>>
>>1800109
If you just open them up, clean everything, and re-grease, it will make a positive improvement, even if the cones are pitted and the balls are dull.
You don't need to change anything.
>>
anyone here or know of someone who machined a fucked hub from c+c to cartridge?
>>1799930
i have some nice aluminum tape lying around myself ive thought of using for just the same thing, and maybe spanning the spokes for muh aero
>>1800152
schwinn, but you lost the game
>>
>>1800222
Checked and yeah kmc chain and link
>>
>>1800274
i suspect you did something retarded and bent it

those really shouldn't pop off
>>
>>1800272
>anyone here or know of someone who machined a fucked hub from c+c to cartridge?
It's not possible to do this, you'd have to remove so much material from the hub to make space for a cartridge bearing that you'd destroy the hub in the process or make it so weak that the hub would fail in use.
>>
>>1800152
>>1800223
I own this exact bike, it's sitting in my garage. It's a 2017 diamondback sorrento. 7x3 with a decent shock up front. I rode mine for a thousand miles or so over 3 years before I bought a real road bike.

I keep saying I'm going to put different tires on it and blah blah blah but I never end up doing it. I'll never sell it because it's the bike that brought me back into cycling and I'm now 10,000 miles into it.

Oh and change the seat on that D-back, it's terrible. Just get a good cheap ergonomic seat with a cutout. I put an old selle italia seat on mine and it worked fine.

The tires are these weird xc things that work decently but are 00s tech.
>>
File: 1649083375305.gif (61 KB, 320x320)
61 KB
61 KB GIF
should I buy a tandem, theres a cool cannondale one on creigslist for 300

wondering if theyre actually fun or just novel
>>
>>1800294
Tandems are like strap-on dildos: can be a lot of fun, but you should be careful about buying one unless you're certain that the partner you want to share it with is into the idea of using it.
>>
File: IMG_20190917_084359_DRO.jpg (2.29 MB, 1920x1080)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB JPG
Is there such a thing as a bike not worth saving? I have a Batavus aluma B1 I got sitting in my basement I got for $30 a few years ago. The drivetrain is mismatched, the brakes are shit and I broke the left brake lever. Not sure if the alivio crank is actually real shimano, if it is I was thinking of getting full alivio drivetrain, or maybe swap everything for tourney? Sunrace?
>>
planning to get a bike for transportation, looking for something cheap that can last long.

is there anything I should look out for?
>>
>>1800312
used 90s mtb or hybrids are nice, sometimes you can find a nice used road bike too, look for no suspension, and good brand names like giant, gt, trek and not walmart brands like magna, huffy, mongoose. Schwinn is a mixed bag, usually its walmart tier but their older bikes were fine. if you need to carry stuff look for rack mounts, fenders are nice too. if where you live is flat you can just get a single speed.

if you are buying new just get a surly cross check or some name brand hybrid. if you can get away with a single speed, state bikes are pretty cheap, id go with their 4130 line tho and have it checked out by a shop.
>>
>>1800296
haven ridden on a tandem, this is an accurate description of what it's like
>>
>>1800315
are folding bikes a good choice?
>>
>>1800304
>Is there such a thing as a bike not worth saving?
If it fits you, why not just repair it to make it rideable? You don't have to do all kinds of upgrades to make that into a bike that's okay to ride, just fix it up and let your experience of riding it determine whether you want to invest in making that into a 'better' bike or not.

>>1800326
Only if you actually need the folding capabilities so you can take your bike on public transport. If you're not going to use it that way, then a standard bike that avoids all the downsides that come with all but the very best (and most expensive) folding bikes.
>>
>>1800334
>If it fits you, why not just repair it to make it rideable?
I have no tools, no experience. No idea where to even start or to know when something needs replacing. Got plenty of time and patience though, so it's more than doable I guess.
>>
>>1799980
Kys grant
>>
good <100€ flats?
>>
Is this worn out? Shimano MF-HG20
>>
>>1800434
yeah she's cooked mate. stop riding that thing right now until you can get it fixed, absolute death trap you've got there.
>>
>>1800435
>>1800437
>>
>>1800435
far from it
>>
>>1800340
repairing bikes usually is really expensive up front and cheaper after youve done it for a while (since you would have already bought all the tools you need and have some spare parts lying around). Depends how much money you wanna throw into it because it would probably be cheaper to just buy a new (used) bike with less problems.
>>
Should I convert to 650b wheels on my previously 27" bike that now has 700c wheels on it...just for fun? It already has 700c to 650 brakes on it and i have about a whole inch of room to move the pads down so I don't see why fitment would be an issue. I'm just trying to find a good reason to other than just because.
The brake tracks are pretty worn, the braking strip is pretty much gone off of the front wheel so that's one reason, but I'm unsure of the purpose that this bike would serve if I do this. gravel meme I guess? I already have other road bikes and a rigid mtb commuter, so it might serve as that middle ground.
Lately it's just been sitting without a tire because one of them picked up a 4 inch nail just destroying it and I'm not sure what I want to do with it because I quite like this frame and do not want to sell it.
>>
>>1800439
>>1800440
Follow up question; how do I know if my cables are due to be replaced? Both brake and shifting.
>>
>>1800435
It's really tough to tell if sprockets are worn out unless they're severely worn to the point they have 'shark teeth' and that freewheel doesn't look to be that point. Only way to know for sure is to install a new chain (if your current one is worn out) and see if it skips...

>>1800444
If that change will result in making that bike one that you want to ride, and it's within your budget to replace wheels and tires, go for it. Sometimes it's useful to try new things purely for the sake of the experience and knowledge you'll gain.
>>
>>1800448
if they work fine theyre usually fine unless they are showing serious signs of wear and fraying or something or are rusted to the core.
>>
>>1799262
>>1799282
If I just need to git gud, then it's fine. I have a decently steep decline near my house (~8%) that I could just bomb through in my old mtb, but the road bike goes way faster, and when I needed to brake I went to the drops just to make sure I wasn't going to blow past the traffic light.
>>
>>1800494
I have a 15% short descent nearby, braking from the hoods was just enough even on the mech discs before I converted to hydro.
>>
>>1800494
Whether that's a problem or not also depends on which brakes you have. With old non-aero brakes the expectation was you'd be in the drops for hard braking, so those brakes simply aren't designed to give full power when riding on the hoods. But you could also have a mismatched setup or some kind of issue that can be corrected, so post a picture of your bike if you want a proper answer.
>>
>>1800294
Yeah, do it. A couple of my friends have tandems, and they're good fun. I'm 6'2", so I rarely get to ride stoker, but my 6'5" friend has a Burley that's the right size, and we're like a rocket on that thing. Sometimes we'll go out on the local loops, just to catch wannabe pros & flip their lids. Pass them on descents, they accept it, pass them on ascents they "can't fuckin believe it".

>>1800296
>the partner you want to share it with
What are you on about?
Don't ride bikes with women, ride them w/ bros.
>>
>>1800294
tandem biking is, twice the power to weight, twice as aero, twice as fun over all.
im very jelly
t. father of a lost tandem
>>1800315
>mongoose
older bikes of these are good too
>>1800432
yeah
>>1800435
teeth? nah. frame? maybe lol
>>
>>1800540
>twice power to weight
incorrect, but it is quite noticeable.
all in all its a joy for cycling enthusiasts to share
>>
You guys asked for an update when I grabbed something, been enjoying it a good deal this past week. Maybe it belongs in bike buying but oh well. Happy Sunday /n/. Any advice on cleaning rust stains off paint work? I tried some evaporust to limited effect, it worked much better on the bare metal bolts. Secondly I think the front brake is a bit out of alignment but it works just fine.
>>
>>1800597
fl anon?
>>
>>1800635
quite off actually, central mass
>>
>>1800636
oh, i remember some florida guy posting here a few threads back about getting something locally. maybe a lot more than a few threads ago, i don't really keep up with these threads.
but there was one of these for sale in central florida and i thought the color scheme was just so fucking cool.
>>
>>1800294
>>1800296
>>1800532
>>1800542
Competitive tandems seem exclusive to para sports - Tandems for visually impaired track cycling, time trials and road racing are all really fascinating to watch when the Paralympics come up.

Think it was the Para Cycling Time Trials when simultaneously, Women's Visually Impaired, Men's Tricycles and Men's amputees were all on the Fuji International Speedway, and the tandems were easily lapping everyone else. I suppose that might be easy if there's four legs pedalling instead of just one.
I wonder if any anons here do tandem with visually impaired individuals. I understand that para cycling teams have really strict selection programmes for pilots.
I do wonder if the wheels used on tandems are specifically strengthened to carry both risers...
>>
>>1800643
I work for a charity that has a tandem bike specifically for taking out the visually impaired
>>
>>1800597
nice

>>1800597
>I tried some evaporust to limited effect
hmm really? Did you soak paper towels in it and cling film them on? The other thing that works reasonably well is scrubbing with a toothbrush and wd40. I also suggest you don't worry about it.

sus your brake, that matters more, and upgrade the pads.
>>
>>1800645
Neat. The shop I used to work at did some work with the VA blind rehab folks, so we would build and work on their tandems sometimes.
>>
>>1800643
>>1800643
Used to do this annual ride, 2 days, 210 miles, several thousand riders (varies each year).

For several years I'd see this older couple on a nice tandem. Chatted with them once, and they'd been doing it for a long time (>20 years). Used to come on individual bikes until the wife's eyesight deteriorated to the point that she could no longer ride by herself. So they switched to tandem mode.

Made me realize I take it for granted. The sensation of movement, the wind in my face.
>>
>>1800223
>>1800289
Thanks for the advice anons, I'll keep this in mind and get a rack and baskets, and then I'll do whatever else it actually needs. I'll try and keep cost low.
>>
File: 1652594810030.png (310 KB, 663x766)
310 KB
310 KB PNG
should i get the wald 137 or 139
im leaning 139
>>
>>1800741
whichever can fit more cum
>>
>>1800645
That's neat. Is it just a regular hybrid like bike or something more sporty?
>>1800711
I find that the accessibility of cycling in general is actually quite neat.
Trunk impaired individuals riding time trial tricycles is fascinating. Lower limb amputees pedalling with a prosthetic or even just with a single leg is really neat. Especially with above knee amputees, I've always wondered how they balance the crankset to enable smooth pedalling.
And then there's the handcycles. Hand cyclists are fucking built - probably super aero too.

I live in the rural nowhere, but there's a nearby bike repair shop in a repurposed barn. The mechanic is a former semi-pro, and he's worked on everything from city bikes to pro athlete time trial bikes. There's a pic on his Facebook of a triathlon tandem, and it's insane to see a carbon frame tandem.
>>
>>1800765
It’s a regular hybrid like bike. Huge cassette because speed is not important and the stoker is rarely of use with regards to power.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.