[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 91 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1624090814252.jpg (216 KB, 1280x720)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
sheldonbrown.com
parktool.com/blog/repair-help
yarchive.net/bike/index.html

previous: >>1797418
>>
parts question guys
I've currently got shimano claris RS200 175mm cranks but I wanted to go down to 170mm. Unfortunately the standard cranks are either sold out or bloody expensive. Does anyone know if there are reasonable 3rd party alternatives. Obviously the non-drive arm looks like any crank arm but the drive arm has the specific shape to it.
>>
White tyres good or bad?

I vaguely recall that - in tennis, at least - white overgrip (it's a plastic stripe that wraps over the grip on a tennis racquet) is to be preferred over black or any other colour, for grip reasons.

The same applies to tyres? Durability is secondary, it's for my town rider. All I care for is grip.
>>
>>1799922
Any colored tyres are shit but white ones are by far the worst. Get black only, no matter how much the missus says the white is prettier.
>>
>>1799922
when it comes to bicycle tires, black has the most grip, any other color is just a sacrifice in service of aesthetics
>>1799920
nah, bite the bullet and buy the real thing
>>
>>1799922
Also tennis is for faggots
>>
>>1799915
adhesive foil to change accent colours, yes or no?
>>
>>1799927
Nah tennis is cool for the following reasons

>you get to hang out with the rich guys
>if you ugly you can pin it on noble ancestry
>hot girls play it in the vain hope to score the next Jannik Sinner as husband
>you make good networking
>>
Tubed?

Or tubeless?

My current bike has tubed 700×38C tyres, and I've never had a puncture. But I'm considering building a road bike with 700×28C tyres. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to go tubeless...

I've only ever had one tube puncture with my current bike, and that was as a result of a crash. But everything I keep reading about tubed road bike tyres is that you can expect to have 4 punctures a month. I've never had an ordinary puncture in 9 months!

Are the tubeless shills just that? Or is there a real advantage to going tubeless?
>>
>>1799920
>claris crankset
https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Claris-8-Speed-Bicycle-Crankset/dp/B071RPXF34/ref
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SM-BBR60-Ultegra-FC-CX70-Hollowtech/dp/B00CABINCY/ref
The RS200 one is cheap junk, don't get another one.
>>1799927
Tennis is the only sport I know of that's any fun to watch live without pre-recording it in advance so I can skip all the ads and dead air.
>>1799937
Tubes are fine for streets unless you plan on riding on gravel or shitty roads. Flats will always eventually happen and you should carry what you need to fix one, but 4 a month would be crazy of course. How many you get comes down to the quality of tire, keeping the pressure where it should be, and how much shit you run over.
>>
Whats an easy way to keep a multitool on a bike? Got a small one for only 5 bucks but have no way to store it on the bike. Should I just use a rubberband or something? I feel like it would fuck up the paint bad (not that I mind that too much) or it would just bounce out eventually.
>>
>>1799920
>RS200 170mm
there's a hundred on ebay (from legit sellers)

>bloody
might have to spring for international shipping though...
>>
File: 1647895368401.jpg (190 KB, 1920x1440)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>1799944
If by 'easy' you mean 'free' then duct tape it to the frame somewhere or if you have bottle cage(s) make a container out of an empty bottle. Otherwise get a saddle bag like a normal person.
>>
>>1799945
Yeah I was just about to say, the only place that reliably seems to have them is the states. If I have to do that then I will other than
>>1799942
suggestion where I hadn't thought about doing a whole BB replacement but that seems way overcost to buy a new BB as well and specific tool because gotta squeeze those customers right.
>>
>>1799946
I'm not gay so I don't want bags on my bike. I could tape it, but over time the tape would wear off; also it probably wouldn't tape back on well. But I could try.
>>
>>1799942
>shitty roads
Are UK roads of this quality?
The numbers of potholes and really worn down tarmac seems really prevalent.

I've had a car blow a tyre out from a hidden pothole (car had a proper spare tyre anyway, and someone in a vintage 80s Ferrari stopped to ask if any help was required, which was very unexpected), had a car tyre have a slow puncture from a large nail, that was just left in the ground - unfortunately the nuts were on too tight from the dealership, and roadside assistance was necessary to get the punctured wheel off.
Oh, and tyre wear on UK roads is fucking insane - had fuel efficient Hankook soft compound go from road legal to bald after a month of driving on a motorway for a month. Switched to hard compound Firestones, and it hardly ever wears, but fuel efficiency takes a bit of a hit.
This is a bit more of an /o/ discussion, but UK roads are borderline third world. After a decade and half of austerity, infrastructure is total garbage. Any reason why a bunch of different car reviewers hate hard suspension in sports cars???

My current bike, as I mentioned, has tubed Kenda 700×38c tyres - they're pretty good at the shit road conditions, but my bike is a heavy hybrid frame. No good for speed or hill climbing.
>>
>>1799947
A little extra money to never have to deal with square taper again is a great fucking deal. A shop could install it for you for not much (maybe free if you bought it from them) if you don't want to buy the tool.
>>
>>1799944
>>1799949
try velcro. theres bike specific for enduro mtbikers but a strip of it should work just as fine.
>>
>>1799950
>Are UK roads of this quality
Hahaha oh boy, I can feel my blood pressure spiking just from you mentioning them. I swear that everyone who has any kind of hand in road maintenance, financing, planning, work completion, whatever, should be forced at gunpoint to ride over them all day. The second they make a noise, lift out of the saddle or get bumped off the pedals because of the absolute state of these gravel tracks masquerading as roads they are instantly shot.
>>
>>1799944
Just get a saddle bag. 3€ at decathlon
>>
>>1799954
So, tubeless is the best for UK?
>>
>>1799958
I mean if tubeless is best for roads that have inch deep trenches running across them, ironworks that have caved in on themselves or road surfaces that look like someone played tetris when they were laying the tarmac then sure.
>>
What in general are the bottom bracket widths for 90s steel mtbs ? 68 as usal ?
>>
File: Panaracer Lads.jpg (97 KB, 872x705)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>1799922
https://www.renehersecycles.com/black-tread-only/
>>
>>1799970
its about 50/50 between 68 and 73
>>
>>1799949
you are gay.
>>
Brief history lesson (I can go on and on...): drop bars were developed to give the OPTION of an aero position, with the tops about level with the saddle to allow comfortable cruising. Over the years, many racers and wannabe racers and wannalooklike racers have shoved the bars lower and lower, so they suffer nearly all the time. Works for pros, who can train six hours a day, but it's hard for the rest of us.
Several years ago, after 30 years of trying to make my body conform to a racer's idea of how a bike should be set up, I decided to raise the bars and make the bike fit me, rather than the other way around. Instantly, I could ride 30 percent or so longer without discomfort, and my times on familiar rides went DOWN, whether because I was fitter or I didn't have to fight the bike.
Don't completely ignore the advice of the ARPs, but for ordinary humans, there are other ways to set up a bike than the one you see in the Tour de France.
>>
>>1799980
you didn't learn anything you just got old
>>
>>1799981
let's see your saddle to bar drop kiddo
>>
File: get good.jpg (115 KB, 768x574)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>1799984
>>
>>1799990
Midosuji, is that you?
>>
>>1799980
>Doesn't ride on his elbows while gripping the saddle with his anus
Seriously m8 are you sure you even know how to ride a bike?
>>
>>1799990
Is that setup so you can piddock superman style for the entire race
>>
File: hub.png (2.02 MB, 1148x1188)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB PNG
Is there a way to figure out the bearing type (cup and cone or cartridge bearing) from the outside without tools? My front hub is feeling a bit rough and I would like to know what I'm going into before I start taking it apart since I haven't done hub service before.

I was unable to find anything on the hub except the brand, which is Linus (made in Taiwan, not by the Linus Bike brand). Couldn't find manufacturer data on it, probably because it's over 10 years old.
>>
File: 1635245567269.jpg (13 KB, 250x250)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
Can anybody has some clues on this sound
Happens only when i ride, no matter the gear
Happens with and without the saddle/saddle post
Its not rhythmic and it is not there when I turn the pedals with the wheels not touching the ground
I tried three different set of pedals one of wich brand new the sound is still there
I the chain doesnt seems to jump, it's not worn out and its clean and well lubricated

https://voca.ro/1eyxDcDGD9RW
>>
>>1800015
remove the wheel from the bike and pull that rubber boot off
it will just fit right back on after
post a pic with it off

should be apparent then

almost certainly cup and cone
>>
File: hub2.jpg (169 KB, 805x1081)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>1800020
Looks like a cup and cone indeed without the rubber.

Is there a standard to the ball bearings and cones or do I have to take it apart to figure out which spares I need (if it's even worth repairing, that is)?
>>
>>1800019
I assume you've already looked at the Sheldon "clicks, creaks, and clunks" page?
Jim Langley also has a fairly extensive page
https://jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html
>Its not rhythmic
Eh, almost all bike noises are, or can be made to be rhythmic. Are you saying you can't make the noise repeat?
In the audio clip, are you constantly pedalling (not pedalling, letting off, pedalling, letting off)?
>>
>>1800036
>Its not rhythmic
I was implying it's not the chain rubbing on the front mech

I was costantly pedalling except for the brief moment in the start of the clip, same with this more clear clip

https://voca.ro/1h8Avpj5TPOq

It's almost a snap
>>
File: IMG20220514174809.jpg (2.98 MB, 4000x3000)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB JPG
I flared my hoods inwards on my 38 cm bars and it feels super ergo. Is there a reason I should not ride like this
>>
>>1800043
Does the noise happen while coasting, or only when the cranks are going around?
Can you 'feel' this noise through the bike, or only hear it?
>>
>>1800049
only when pedaling, i can feel it thru the pedals and i feel like its coming from the chain. Its not the quick link though since i tried with and without it
>>
>>1800047
That looks like it would flare my elbows, which doesn't sound nice at all. But if it's comfy for you then, sure why not I guess?
>>
>>1800053
>i feel like its coming from the chain
How can you tell? As opposed to how it would somehow feel different if it was any other part of the drive train? If you're experienced enough to have developed that much of a discerning sensibility you would not need to ask a bunch of anonymous yak herders on the intertnets for advice.

I've had that same symptom form improperly mounted pedals, worn out pedal bearings, worn out bottom bracket, a bent sprocket tooth, misaligned gears and who know what other mystery causes.
I would start by remounting the pedals and making sure the pedal threads are properly greased and tightened, and work myself outward from there.
>>
>>1800047
might make the brakes a little awkward
>>
>>1800075
>>1800047
>>1800068
I am just gonna try it out. It really feels incredible.
Braking is fine in the hoods but a little more awkward in the drops. I wanted to get real narrow flared bars but this seems like a good introduction
>>
>>1800026
The bearings are a standard size, the cones are very specific in width, but any of close enough width will work. There’s a good website that sells every conceivable size of cone (I’m sure another anon remembers the url)
>>
>>1799990
cope
>>
>>1800095
Thanks for the info. I live in Europe so the website may or may not be a good solution for me, but it could be a good reference catalog either way.

I was thinking of getting the parts out and then go for a trip through the local bike shops to see if they have the spares available. If that fails I will either try to find out if I can get the missing parts online (if I can figure out the specific parts I need) or put the old parts back in after cleaning and start looking for a set of new (or second hand) wheels. If the hub bearing surfaces are damaged I might have to look for new wheels anyway.
>>
How do I improve my general and more importantly sprinting speed?

I don't seem to get over 40km/h for a brief period but I'd like to improve it.

Should I start lifting with my legs and eating chicken and rice?
>>
Posting in the new thread

I have a 29 inch wheel with centrelock, it has a slightly fucked front hub from a crash.

I was thinking of changing it later in the year for a dynamo hub, is it best to buy this then ask a bikeshop to fix it, or should I just buy a new fucking wheel?

How much do you think a bike shop will charge for this?
>>
>>1800112
???????????

it depends on the country, if it's an expensive bike shop or not and whatever

it's around 50-80 eur here
>>
File: 2022-05-14-154740.png (369 KB, 1288x1116)
369 KB
369 KB PNG
>>1800026
>>1800095
I mostly use Shimano hubs so ymmv. I usually ebay first for NOS stuff, but I've also ordered axles, cones, etc from Wheels Mfg. They list their measurements, but a lot of their stuff has been out of stock.
>>1800109
I've polished cups & cones before (had a bearing crack & gouge the rear ds cup), but even if you have the right setup and know what you're doing, it's probably not worth it. There's no restoring it to 'new', it will always be a worn part.
>>
Can I reduce pressure on my perineum by riding a smaller frame bike or one with less reach? I'm 181cm size guide says 55/56 but I found cool second hand bikes but they're 54. Try the smaller ones or just get a 56 and reduce reach by using a shorter stem
>>
>>1800112
Buy a new wheel, I wouldn't trust a post-crash wheel
>>
>>1800133
Undersizing exists, I ride an S frame while I am sized for M.
>>
>>1800133
Smaller frame gives you a harsher ride and lower handlebars relative to the saddle.
Shorter stem gives you more squirrelly steering.
Choose which bothers you less.
>>
>>1800110
Squats and oats
>>
>>1800112
A bike shop will charge standard wheel lacing fees
Probably less than $100 if you have everything, but wheel lacing is one of those things I think shops should charge more for
>>
File: 20220514_164455.jpg (3.59 MB, 4000x3000)
3.59 MB
3.59 MB JPG
Got this old schwinn for free at work, seems like everything works, I already have a dedicated serious mountain bike and I wanna do some egregious stuff with my new shitbike. Thinking I'm just gonna service the old schwinn Altus, throw a new chain on and some cheap road tires and use it when I go to the gas station and so forth. Might even put a solid suspension fork on it. What do you guys think? Yes I know it's a money pit
>>
>>1799930
>adhesive foil
Don't think I've ever seen anyone use this one a bike... It will probably flake off in the long run, but if you don't mind potentially having to re-apply more foil in the future it would probably work okay.

>>1799937
The main benefit of tubeless is that it lets you run lower pressures with higher volume tires, but with relatively narrow ride tires that advantage almost disappears, the only real advantage is that sealant can fill minor punctures - the trade off is cost, so unless you already have tubeless compatible rims and tires and access to a compressor, tubes are still the way to go on the road.

>>1799944
If you don't want a bag for some reason, make a simple DIY tool roll or just use a rubber band around that multitool and your spare tube and strap those to your saddle rails or carry it in a jersey pocket.

>>1800110
As previous anon said, squats. Also core exercises are important too.

>>1800152
Could be a whole worse. Just ride it, and swap the tires for slicks if you're going to be on pavement all the time.
>>
>>1800153
>Could be a whole worse. Just ride it, and swap the tires for slicks if you're going to be on pavement all the time.
That's the plan. Just gonna ride it placed where I don't want my nice bike to get stolen.
>>
>>1800110
I recently took my gym cardio to outside biking, felt like leg days really paid off, don't just lift, do leg extensions too.
>>1800153
say I don't mind flaking, also say I couldn't find the blue I wanted, and I found the blue I wanted with glitter in acyrlic paint section... and started painting over the parts I want without masking tape despite having some... then painted whole bike...

now I have a bike painted in glitter blue, which I'll have paint like two more times and have it flaked off in single trip. I regret nothing but feel like I really should.

cleaning it will be a pain in the ass won't it...
>>
Need to change my cassette/derailleur but are master link chains the meta? 2nd time this chain had one pop off
Didn't happen on my old chain which was master link
Seems like a pretty big flaw that they can fail if the chain slips
>>
>>1799930
You could get some cheapish vinyl, it's generally tough and didn't mess up any of my paint under it.
>>
>>1800200
did the master link come with the chain?
I put a kmc masterlink on a shimano chain the other day, which everyone says is fine, and there's a little play in there. I don't really trust it, whereas i've never had a kmc or sram masterlink fail on chains they came with, they fit tighter, and i've worn out dozens of them.

Shimano chains don't use masterlinks, they use special joining pins, and if you install them correctly it's max reliable, and shimano chains are very good. But it is a little bit trickier to install them, you can bend it very easily. Has to be perfectly lined up. And if you're tinkering then it's very helpful to be able to remove a chain at will.
>>
>>1800152
that's a diamondback anon.
I see no reason to throw money at it. Is that chain even stretched? Nice tires are nice but it's not like shit tires dont roll and those atleast aren't inappropriate.

First priority for a junky beater is getting a rack+basket.
You could do a rear obviously but you could also do lowrider baskets
>>
>>1800047
People might think you're doing it to be 'aero', which is apparently a thing, which you may or may not be concerned about.
>>
>>1800112
Buy a whole new wheel. Look at german sites, they sell complete wheels with dynamo hubs and decent spec. Like Bike24, Bike-Components, Starbike. Having an lbs build you one will be more expensive.

dynamo hub is a very good idea btw. They're awesome.
>>
>>1800109
If you just open them up, clean everything, and re-grease, it will make a positive improvement, even if the cones are pitted and the balls are dull.
You don't need to change anything.
>>
anyone here or know of someone who machined a fucked hub from c+c to cartridge?
>>1799930
i have some nice aluminum tape lying around myself ive thought of using for just the same thing, and maybe spanning the spokes for muh aero
>>1800152
schwinn, but you lost the game
>>
>>1800222
Checked and yeah kmc chain and link
>>
>>1800274
i suspect you did something retarded and bent it

those really shouldn't pop off
>>
>>1800272
>anyone here or know of someone who machined a fucked hub from c+c to cartridge?
It's not possible to do this, you'd have to remove so much material from the hub to make space for a cartridge bearing that you'd destroy the hub in the process or make it so weak that the hub would fail in use.
>>
>>1800152
>>1800223
I own this exact bike, it's sitting in my garage. It's a 2017 diamondback sorrento. 7x3 with a decent shock up front. I rode mine for a thousand miles or so over 3 years before I bought a real road bike.

I keep saying I'm going to put different tires on it and blah blah blah but I never end up doing it. I'll never sell it because it's the bike that brought me back into cycling and I'm now 10,000 miles into it.

Oh and change the seat on that D-back, it's terrible. Just get a good cheap ergonomic seat with a cutout. I put an old selle italia seat on mine and it worked fine.

The tires are these weird xc things that work decently but are 00s tech.
>>
File: 1649083375305.gif (61 KB, 320x320)
61 KB
61 KB GIF
should I buy a tandem, theres a cool cannondale one on creigslist for 300

wondering if theyre actually fun or just novel
>>
>>1800294
Tandems are like strap-on dildos: can be a lot of fun, but you should be careful about buying one unless you're certain that the partner you want to share it with is into the idea of using it.
>>
File: IMG_20190917_084359_DRO.jpg (2.29 MB, 1920x1080)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB JPG
Is there such a thing as a bike not worth saving? I have a Batavus aluma B1 I got sitting in my basement I got for $30 a few years ago. The drivetrain is mismatched, the brakes are shit and I broke the left brake lever. Not sure if the alivio crank is actually real shimano, if it is I was thinking of getting full alivio drivetrain, or maybe swap everything for tourney? Sunrace?
>>
planning to get a bike for transportation, looking for something cheap that can last long.

is there anything I should look out for?
>>
>>1800312
used 90s mtb or hybrids are nice, sometimes you can find a nice used road bike too, look for no suspension, and good brand names like giant, gt, trek and not walmart brands like magna, huffy, mongoose. Schwinn is a mixed bag, usually its walmart tier but their older bikes were fine. if you need to carry stuff look for rack mounts, fenders are nice too. if where you live is flat you can just get a single speed.

if you are buying new just get a surly cross check or some name brand hybrid. if you can get away with a single speed, state bikes are pretty cheap, id go with their 4130 line tho and have it checked out by a shop.
>>
>>1800296
haven ridden on a tandem, this is an accurate description of what it's like
>>
>>1800315
are folding bikes a good choice?
>>
>>1800304
>Is there such a thing as a bike not worth saving?
If it fits you, why not just repair it to make it rideable? You don't have to do all kinds of upgrades to make that into a bike that's okay to ride, just fix it up and let your experience of riding it determine whether you want to invest in making that into a 'better' bike or not.

>>1800326
Only if you actually need the folding capabilities so you can take your bike on public transport. If you're not going to use it that way, then a standard bike that avoids all the downsides that come with all but the very best (and most expensive) folding bikes.
>>
>>1800334
>If it fits you, why not just repair it to make it rideable?
I have no tools, no experience. No idea where to even start or to know when something needs replacing. Got plenty of time and patience though, so it's more than doable I guess.
>>
>>1799980
Kys grant
>>
good <100€ flats?
>>
Is this worn out? Shimano MF-HG20
>>
>>1800434
yeah she's cooked mate. stop riding that thing right now until you can get it fixed, absolute death trap you've got there.
>>
>>1800435
>>1800437
>>
>>1800435
far from it
>>
>>1800340
repairing bikes usually is really expensive up front and cheaper after youve done it for a while (since you would have already bought all the tools you need and have some spare parts lying around). Depends how much money you wanna throw into it because it would probably be cheaper to just buy a new (used) bike with less problems.
>>
Should I convert to 650b wheels on my previously 27" bike that now has 700c wheels on it...just for fun? It already has 700c to 650 brakes on it and i have about a whole inch of room to move the pads down so I don't see why fitment would be an issue. I'm just trying to find a good reason to other than just because.
The brake tracks are pretty worn, the braking strip is pretty much gone off of the front wheel so that's one reason, but I'm unsure of the purpose that this bike would serve if I do this. gravel meme I guess? I already have other road bikes and a rigid mtb commuter, so it might serve as that middle ground.
Lately it's just been sitting without a tire because one of them picked up a 4 inch nail just destroying it and I'm not sure what I want to do with it because I quite like this frame and do not want to sell it.
>>
>>1800439
>>1800440
Follow up question; how do I know if my cables are due to be replaced? Both brake and shifting.
>>
>>1800435
It's really tough to tell if sprockets are worn out unless they're severely worn to the point they have 'shark teeth' and that freewheel doesn't look to be that point. Only way to know for sure is to install a new chain (if your current one is worn out) and see if it skips...

>>1800444
If that change will result in making that bike one that you want to ride, and it's within your budget to replace wheels and tires, go for it. Sometimes it's useful to try new things purely for the sake of the experience and knowledge you'll gain.
>>
>>1800448
if they work fine theyre usually fine unless they are showing serious signs of wear and fraying or something or are rusted to the core.
>>
>>1799262
>>1799282
If I just need to git gud, then it's fine. I have a decently steep decline near my house (~8%) that I could just bomb through in my old mtb, but the road bike goes way faster, and when I needed to brake I went to the drops just to make sure I wasn't going to blow past the traffic light.
>>
>>1800494
I have a 15% short descent nearby, braking from the hoods was just enough even on the mech discs before I converted to hydro.
>>
>>1800494
Whether that's a problem or not also depends on which brakes you have. With old non-aero brakes the expectation was you'd be in the drops for hard braking, so those brakes simply aren't designed to give full power when riding on the hoods. But you could also have a mismatched setup or some kind of issue that can be corrected, so post a picture of your bike if you want a proper answer.
>>
>>1800294
Yeah, do it. A couple of my friends have tandems, and they're good fun. I'm 6'2", so I rarely get to ride stoker, but my 6'5" friend has a Burley that's the right size, and we're like a rocket on that thing. Sometimes we'll go out on the local loops, just to catch wannabe pros & flip their lids. Pass them on descents, they accept it, pass them on ascents they "can't fuckin believe it".

>>1800296
>the partner you want to share it with
What are you on about?
Don't ride bikes with women, ride them w/ bros.
>>
>>1800294
tandem biking is, twice the power to weight, twice as aero, twice as fun over all.
im very jelly
t. father of a lost tandem
>>1800315
>mongoose
older bikes of these are good too
>>1800432
yeah
>>1800435
teeth? nah. frame? maybe lol
>>
>>1800540
>twice power to weight
incorrect, but it is quite noticeable.
all in all its a joy for cycling enthusiasts to share
>>
You guys asked for an update when I grabbed something, been enjoying it a good deal this past week. Maybe it belongs in bike buying but oh well. Happy Sunday /n/. Any advice on cleaning rust stains off paint work? I tried some evaporust to limited effect, it worked much better on the bare metal bolts. Secondly I think the front brake is a bit out of alignment but it works just fine.
>>
>>1800597
fl anon?
>>
>>1800635
quite off actually, central mass
>>
>>1800636
oh, i remember some florida guy posting here a few threads back about getting something locally. maybe a lot more than a few threads ago, i don't really keep up with these threads.
but there was one of these for sale in central florida and i thought the color scheme was just so fucking cool.
>>
>>1800294
>>1800296
>>1800532
>>1800542
Competitive tandems seem exclusive to para sports - Tandems for visually impaired track cycling, time trials and road racing are all really fascinating to watch when the Paralympics come up.

Think it was the Para Cycling Time Trials when simultaneously, Women's Visually Impaired, Men's Tricycles and Men's amputees were all on the Fuji International Speedway, and the tandems were easily lapping everyone else. I suppose that might be easy if there's four legs pedalling instead of just one.
I wonder if any anons here do tandem with visually impaired individuals. I understand that para cycling teams have really strict selection programmes for pilots.
I do wonder if the wheels used on tandems are specifically strengthened to carry both risers...
>>
>>1800643
I work for a charity that has a tandem bike specifically for taking out the visually impaired
>>
>>1800597
nice

>>1800597
>I tried some evaporust to limited effect
hmm really? Did you soak paper towels in it and cling film them on? The other thing that works reasonably well is scrubbing with a toothbrush and wd40. I also suggest you don't worry about it.

sus your brake, that matters more, and upgrade the pads.
>>
>>1800645
Neat. The shop I used to work at did some work with the VA blind rehab folks, so we would build and work on their tandems sometimes.
>>
>>1800643
>>1800643
Used to do this annual ride, 2 days, 210 miles, several thousand riders (varies each year).

For several years I'd see this older couple on a nice tandem. Chatted with them once, and they'd been doing it for a long time (>20 years). Used to come on individual bikes until the wife's eyesight deteriorated to the point that she could no longer ride by herself. So they switched to tandem mode.

Made me realize I take it for granted. The sensation of movement, the wind in my face.
>>
>>1800223
>>1800289
Thanks for the advice anons, I'll keep this in mind and get a rack and baskets, and then I'll do whatever else it actually needs. I'll try and keep cost low.
>>
File: 1652594810030.png (310 KB, 663x766)
310 KB
310 KB PNG
should i get the wald 137 or 139
im leaning 139
>>
>>1800741
whichever can fit more cum
>>
>>1800645
That's neat. Is it just a regular hybrid like bike or something more sporty?
>>1800711
I find that the accessibility of cycling in general is actually quite neat.
Trunk impaired individuals riding time trial tricycles is fascinating. Lower limb amputees pedalling with a prosthetic or even just with a single leg is really neat. Especially with above knee amputees, I've always wondered how they balance the crankset to enable smooth pedalling.
And then there's the handcycles. Hand cyclists are fucking built - probably super aero too.

I live in the rural nowhere, but there's a nearby bike repair shop in a repurposed barn. The mechanic is a former semi-pro, and he's worked on everything from city bikes to pro athlete time trial bikes. There's a pic on his Facebook of a triathlon tandem, and it's insane to see a carbon frame tandem.
>>
>>1800765
It’s a regular hybrid like bike. Huge cassette because speed is not important and the stoker is rarely of use with regards to power.
>>
What is the max tire width I can install? Currently got 25mm grand prix 4. Looking to go to 30mm?. More photos coming
>>
What is the max tire width I can install? Currently got 25mm grand prix 4. Looking to go to 30mm?. Willing to go bigger on rear. More photos coming. Front pic first
>>
Seat tube
>>
>>1800846
you don't need any spare clearance at all, it will cause issues if your wheels go out of true or riding in mud or gravel otherwise its fine

actual tires size commonly fluctuates ±3mm, gp4k run oversize, gp5k run undersize, most schwalbe tires run undersize and more recent tires generally tend to run undersize as they're designed for meme wide rims.

Measure it. Use a fucking ruler/calipers and toe the line of what you can get away with if you want to.
>>
>>1800846
>looking to replace a set of nice new tires with slightly wider ones that may or may not fit

don't be retarded
>>
>>1800848
chainstays look the tightest
you can take caliperz but eh. easiest solution would be getting a trash 30 from a shop and testing it, making sure flex doesnt enable rub (it may even if it looks good)
dont know about this one but a lot of bikes like it have these spec capacity available..
>>
>>1800851
>test with a different tire
doesn't work
the actual sizes can vary wildly

he might even 'upgrade' to 30s and they're 1mm wider than his 25s
>>
File: 1652711738881.jpg (195 KB, 1500x1412)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
Is there a big downside to a shorter 550 mm chain lock vs the regular 900 mm one? I imagine there are fewer options for locking up when there isn't an empty slot at a bike lockup post with the shorter one, but the weight saving is about 2 lbs.
>>
>>1800852
>different tire
ideally doesnt have to be
at least road tire size variance has perhaps the least margin of error in the disciplines
of course rim width is to be noted as well
>>1800860
answered your own question
>>
>>1800849
>gp5k run undersize

My current experience is with a 19mm internal width rim a 25mm tire from Conti 5k model calipers at 25mm. And that a Kenda road tire 25mm on the same rim calipers to 28mm.
>>
File: gtsr3.jpg (183 KB, 1600x1067)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>1800516
No problems. It's a 2000's bike I believe, with Shimano Sora groupset if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>1800879
lol really
i have the exact size rims and my 28s run 26
>>
>>1800881
upgrade the pads
>>
I recently got this 10 year old aluminium trek Alpha 2.3 and it has a carbon seatpost and front fork. I replaced the seat post with an aluminum one cause it had a crank and loose fibres dangling of it. That made me scared of carbon. Now I wonder whether I should swap out the front fork as well. From the outside it still looks fine. No damage as far as I can see. What do ?
>>
Crack
>>
File: brakes1.png (2.98 MB, 2580x1891)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB PNG
>>1800885
>>1800881
Took a few pictures of the brakes, not sure if there's some kind of marker like in the tyres to check brake pad life.
>>
>>1800893
Keep the fork. If Carbon just exploded after 10 years without visible outside damage, then nobody would ride it.
>>
>>1800893
leave the fork, but I'd have replaced the seatpost even if it was visually fine. I actually did this on a slightly older trek 1000 with a garbon seatpost and fork, you don't know if the previous owner was paying attention to torque spec or just clamping it down with retard strength like literally everyone does with normal seatposts. Yes, I could have got a torque wrench but one that wasn't going to be shit would have cost me more than I paid for the bike.

Also the actual rating for mine is 5 Nm - it's still printed on the seatpost collar. That's basically finger tight, fuck that. Fuck torque specs in general though, the correct spec is literally just how tight you can get it without snapping the allen key (unless you have garbon).
>>
Is FabricBike a good brand?
>>
I always fancied a brooks saddle but three things stopped me...
>Price
>Weight
>Get fucked in the rain (I live in the UK)
However I was thinking about buying a used one just to try it out, at least for weight and comfort, does that make sense? I know they mold to the riders arse bones, but can they be remolded to a new riders arse bones?
>>
I want to go touring on my bike but how do you keep it safe during a month long trip? During such trip your bike has all your shit, basically your life's there and if you go solo there's no one to look for it if you go for groceries, a shit or for a beer.
Not to mention it also reduces your mobility greatly.
>>
>>1800897
>rim brake pad wear mark
Not that I'm aware of.
I use shoes w/ replaceable pads (not pads with the molded-in bolt). And I always run the same pads until I think the shoe will touch the rim, or the pads go hard (bikes that I ride less often).
I've had one person tell me to toss them once you get to the bottom of the little cuts, but I kept using them, no problems. The pad was completely flat, no individual nubs, but that didn't seem to make a difference for stopping power or noise.
>>
>>1800947
Get 2 really good locks and you can have some special bolts so people can’t just undue your quick release or thruaxles, also common sense helps. If you don’t feel safe or can’t find a good place to lock your bike up but need to go to a store just bring it in with you, make sure it’s clean fire obviously, Iv never had someone say no while doing this when explaining my situation. Even use locks for your bags with important stuff in it and just try to keep an eye on it.

Bring it into your hotel room too, again biggest thing is make sure the tires are clean before hand. Usually you can hose them off and wipe them down.

Also watch videos of people doing it (Francis Cade has a few videos of him touring America and Taiwan) and read blogs about what worked for people.
>>
>>1800947
Check out /btg/, more touring-minded people >>1772528
>>
>>1800953
>Bring it into your hotel room too
I'm planning to camp anywhere possible most of the days, specially since it's going to be during summer. I've done it for a week long trip and had no problems but I wasn't solo.
Going solo I'm not sure if I should even lock my bike at night, in case I need to bail.
>>
>>1800953
>Get 2 really good locks
Such as?
>>
>>1800597
AW HELL yea dude

I dunno about rust I always just left it lol
>>
i think i enjoy the mundane bike stuff like tuning up, cleaning, making sure tires have the right pressure, chains oiled, things are greased as much as i do riding. something about making any bike, even bso's run as best as they can is satisfying
>>
>>1800980
indeed, efficiency is enjoyable
>>
I keep getting a hole right in this same spot but the rim doesn’t seem to have anything that would poke out at it, anyone know what’s causing this?
>>
>>1800990
your rim tape is shit or faulty (if you have one). when you inflate the tube, it goes into the spoke hole until it bursts
>>
>>1800990
>>1800994
yeah, reinforce that area with an additional or better rim strip.
>>
>>1800924
fabric makes good saddles.
>>
>>1800941
depends on how much wear the saddle has seen. if it seems to have smooth, shallow indents, and has been kept taught, probably okay. avoid anything with even mild sag or more prominent indents. if you aren't racing, weight is a nonissue. you will have to use a saddle cover and fender to keep water off it.
>>
>>1800924
>>1801025
There's a couple different companies named Fabric. The one that does saddles & the accelerometer rear light is "fabric.cc". This FabricBike is something else.
>>
hey uh does marijuana help with unracing performance? I really want to camp and go slow but I still keep getting stronger and faster
>>
>>1800846
>>1800847
>>1800848
can't see shit on fork/chainstay pics, brake caliper is probably only rated up to 28mm... With your current tire take a 5mm allen key and try to slide it between the tire and frame at all relevant spots. If there's anywhere that you can't without flexing the wheel then you're probably maxed out already.

>>1800879
>>1800883
>25mm gp5k
>26.5-27mm with caliper (19.5 internal width, ~90psi)
>>
>>1800897
there's material left on them but when they get old they dry out too.
and newer better pads are much better even other than that

you can get away with not doing it but i thought you were complainin your brakes weren't strong enough
>>
>>1800913
I do mine to 4Nm with Calvin's friction paste and it never slips even though I'm a fatass.
>>1800897
All shimano pads of that style look virtually identical except for maybe a part number hidden somewhere no matter if they're the good ones or the shitty ones. If they're over ten years old then just replace them because of age.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Ultegra-6800-Road-Brake/dp/B00GIQBCFW/ref
These are the best ones shimano make and will probably make a huge difference. Bigger up front cost but much better performance and replacement pads are only about $15 for 2 pair and very easy to swap.
>>1800990
>>1801003
a few layers of duct tape over the sketchy part will be fine if you don't want to bother replacing the whole thing, but there could be other weak places too...
>>1801025
seconded
>>
>>1801044
>https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Ultegra-6800-Road-Brake/dp/B00GIQBCFW/ref
>These are the best ones shimano make
6800 was 2013-2016
those pads are NOS

the newer ones are better too
>>
File: sniffu.jpg (1.42 MB, 2168x1445)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
>>1801030
Mate, as a Grant shitposting connoisseur, let me tell you, this banny will jan you.

Having said that: this man must be stopped.
>>
>>1801049
6800 version uses the same pads and when I ordered them over the winter they sent the R8000 version anyway. Everyone seems to offer the 6800 version though. *shrug*
>>
>>1801062
true
the turnover on amazon is probably pretty high so you would get fresh pads
The cartridge refills are pretty cheap from lbses also, because they get them loose in bulk at 105/ultegra level, and if you go to the workshop they sell them at cost a lot of the time to you.

imo the cheapest way to get a pad upgrade is used shimano holders from a co-op parts bin or scavanged and loose new inserts from an lbs workshop.

but i'm just rambling and being pedantic your rec was right.
>>
https://youtu.be/kO5tFGH0l9A?t=155

discbros...

can someone make a webm of this
>>
Trued my first wheel today lads. It was mega fucked so any adjustment was an improvement which kept me motivated. I ended up getting it 90% of the way to where it’s maybe +-2mm out from perfect either way. How on earth do you get the last 10%? Is it literally just practice making tiny adjustments or is there a trick?
>>
>>1801069
When they're megafucked it's sometimes impossible, but yeah, it's just practice and care+thought.

Also that last 10% is magic. On a tricky wheel the guy who taught me how to do it stopped being able to explain what he was doing and went into a zone.

You should try to do it systematically one by one but actually you're weighting a lot of things at the same time, left right trueness, up down trueness, spoke tension, and spoke engagement.

Also I think having a proper stand does help a lot and if not then atleast having very good light and focus. Also oiling all the spokes is tedius but it helps
>>
File: IMG_0103.webm (998 KB, 1920x1080)
998 KB
998 KB WEBM
>>1801079
Let’s see if this video works. It looks shit on video, either the perspective is bad or I have a lot more work to do on the wheel. When it came in the wheel had 10+mm of deflection from centre at any given point.
>>
>>1800897
>>1800881
Jumping in on this, I wonder how your posture is? Are you straining to reach the brakes? Your saddle is relatively low and your brakes are about far forward as they could possibly be, and in a funky spot on the bars. But to your question, if that's a good position on the bike for you, then I agree you'd definitely get some benefit by moving to better pads with holders - those one piece pads are never as good and they look old too.

>>1801069
>>1801088
There looks to be a big radial hop in your wheel I'd worry about first - back all the nipples off a bit, focus on addressing on that hop first, then get spokes tensioned evenly and then you can come back to that last little bit of lateral play. Also, if your rim has had some hard knocks in the past, you may not be able to get it perfect.
>>
>>1801088
>that radial true
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
your wheel might be straight but now it's egg shaped
>>1801079
>Also that last 10% is magic
this, that last 10% is to prepare your anus for the last 1%
also, don't forget dish, truing consists of lateral (x axis), radial (y axis), and dish (z axis), needs to be true in all 3 dimensions
>>
>>1801092
Thanks anon, it’s not my rim, though. I work at a charity that provides a bicycle-oriented space for the disabled and helps them with maintenance, group rides etc, this is a blow-in who came to one of our Saturday breakfasts. I lent him the wheel from our workshop time trials bike so who knows if he would even want his back kek. How would I best approach the hop?
>>
>>1801094
>lateral (x axis), radial (y axis), and dish (z axis)
How is dish on a different axis than lateral? It's the same, it just has to do with where on that axis you're truing to.
>>
>>1801094
That makes sense. So I need to back all the nipples off? Did I waste my time making it straight?
>>
>>1801098
You'll find it easier to get the wheel closer to being radially true if you start with a little less tension across the wheel. And no, you didn't really waste your time. When truing a less-than-perfect rim it's totally normal to need to repeatedly switch between focusing on lateral, radial, and tensional true until you converge on the optimal solution for a particular wheel. Knowing instinctively when it's time to switch focus is just one of those things you can only learn with practice, so no worries, this is how you learn.
>>
>>1801101
Ok cool, thanks, so I’m going to mark the beginning and the end of the egg then back off all the nipples by, say, 1/8th turn each. So the tension comes right off evenly. Then start tightening from the egg, checking for radial true with the sliding plate on my stand. When the egg has come out, I try again to set it laterally. Correct?
>>
>>1800133
A bit late, but I had the exact same issue and solved it with a cut out saddle that I tilted slightly forward. Less reach would help, but you have to be careful since smaller frame bikes also have a lower front end, plus you might actually find that with a proper saddle you don't even need to change your position.
>>
I am 173 cm tall. Can I ride a 46 cm frame or is it way too small?
>>
>>1801202
it is way too small. even if you get a long ass stem and seatpost, the saddle-to-bar drop will be huge.
>>
>>1801203
and what about an 48, that would be a little on the small side but doable right?
>>
>>1801204
The lowest you should go is 54cm bro
>>
>>1801204
maybe
it all depends on the actual bike, your body, and your prefered riding position
you could make it work
>>1801206
that's too big, for his size 52 is ideal
>>
>>1801206
Wrong
>>
>>1800924
it's complete trash, not up to first world country standards. stick to the larger brands although unfortunately there aren't a ton of alternatives for fixies because of how niche they are. on a tight budget, finding any bike that is close to what you desire might be difficult but stay away from fabricbike. the company is run by a single spanish guy who pretends to have a couple of other employees but it's all him. my fabricbike aero had a badly misaligned frame and numerous other issues. the average person doesn't know how to check frame alignment or thinks it's normal so you don't hear about it much. a proper aluminium/carbon frameset such as cinelli vigorelli is going to cost more. ribble eliminator al was decent but it got discontinued. dolan pre cursa is another budget option. for steel there's fuji feather, ribble urban 725s. on their facebook page there's a guy in the comments complaining about the shitty paint quality the last time i checked so you can imagine that it's not just me who noticed issues but because of how small the brand is you don't hear about the issues a lot. people just silently avoid the brand even though they have good SEO like how americans have mostly moved away from leader and aventon and mostly stay away from other small brands like unknown, throne etc. state bicycle co gets shilled but there has been issues with them. there are some other small brands like engine 11 which i don't know if they're good or not. a lot of this stuff is aimed at normie teenagers who don't know any better and at poorer people in asian countries so you typically don't get the same quality from these smaller brands that are grifting the fixie fashion hype as from the top brands. for instance you can see how many different color options that fabricbike offers, this is abnormal for a bike brand (other than custom colors for an extra fee) and is a warning sign as pointed out by zach gallardo in his advice about beginner fixies to avoid.
>>
File: (you).jpg (738 KB, 1920x1281)
738 KB
738 KB JPG
>>1801203
>>1801204
>>1801206
>>1801208
>The lowest you should go is this, I am very smart
>no this, I am very smart
>TOO SMALL REEEE
>no that's too big actually, I am very smart
I HATE this board so much. Frame size all depends on so many things, how long your limbs are relative your torso, whether you have a sloping top tube, BB height, what kind of handling you want, what kind of riding style you have, road, 90s MTB, modern MTB, fucking sit up and beg wobbly city bike or whatever. or een just personal preference. get off your're high horses and just man up, tell the guy you don't know, and that he should just try the bike and see if it's comfortable.

I honestly doubt any of you have touched a bicycle. you probably weigh 450lbs and have translucent blotchy skin.
>>
>>1801217
for road bikes it's pretty straightforward actually. at around 183cm you might want 58cm on a VINTAGE road frame, otherwise you should be on a 56cm road frame. people up to around 180cm might choose to ride a 54cm frame. 173cm is manlet territory, 52cm would make sense. look at what the pros are riding, nobody at that height is riding 54cm. you can easily compensate for limb length and riding style etc with the saddle height and stem length and headset spacers.
>>
>>1801217
I am referring to a roadbikes, full aluminium early 2000-2010 era
>>
>>1801217
>noooooo you can’t ride without a bike fit
Children size themselves on bicycles every day anon. That you can’t manage it says chapters about you
>>
>>1801217
why are you even on this board?
>>
>>1801222
>arbitrary nonsense
>>1801227
I'm not even sure what point (You)'re trying to make. did you even read my post lol.
>>
File: 600_11236551.jpg (49 KB, 600x450)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>1801222
>people up to around 180cm might choose to ride a 54cm frame
>>
>>1801236
>>1801237
cope
>>
How much will the BB height drop by going to 650B tires but keeping the same tire dimensions as on the 700C ?
>>
Not BB height but I mean the distance between bb and the ground. Lets say its cu
>>
>>1801239
are you retarded or lazy ?
>>
I just calculated it myself
>>
>>1801237
oh god, are there manlets in /n/ too?
>>
>>1801210
thank you for the detailed reply, much appreciated
>>
File: 1556759780781.png (267 KB, 341x396)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
Hey just picked up a bike to do cardio and lose weight but what exercise plan should I follow?
I'm used to jog 20 minutes 3 times a week, does this same plan work with a bicycle?
Or what plan should I be following?
How does riding a century fit into all of this?
>>
>>1801272
this is the transportation board
>>
>>1801092
I did the fitting (online with measurements, but I don't really wanna go to a bikefit right now), so I do feel confortable and have no problema reaching the brakes, I'm not stretching so it does feel ok (a bit weird compared to MTBs I'm used to).
I have no idea how old these brakes are, probably as old as the bike itself if I'm not mistaken. Might check it out today on a bikeshop nearby.

>>1801041
>complainin your brakes weren't strong enough
On this big incline I talked about before, I don't have the confidence to just roll down, because when I brake, i feel like I need to put a lot of force to stop as much as I would with my mtb (which had rim brakes too, mind you). So I'm just assuming that I'm using too little strength and that the pads are toast.

>>1800948
>>1801041
thanks bros, really appreciate the feedback. Getting "genuine" brakes over here isn't exactly easy, but I'll see what i can get.
>>
>>1801275
Bicycle commuting is an extreme sport but yet, here we are
>>
>>1801079
One thing I do, is get it at that easy 90% and then ride it a few times, then go back for the 10%. That way everything settles into riding tension, and it makes it easier to get the last 10%
>>
File: b17.jpg (1.23 MB, 3149x2191)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>1801028
Thanks for the reply.
What do you think of picrel? £40
>>
>>1801272
dude I took my bike out thrice so far and every time I ended up riding 4+ hours (not counting resting). you will end up spending whole day swearing to yourself "why the fuck I wasn't biking all these years" and go on for absurd distances until you figure out a more sustainable route and a more "tiring" gear ratio to get the cardio out of it.
>t. fellow /fat/ from /fit/
>>
>>1801309
where's the cutout?
>>
>>1801309
Not the other poster, but I'd buy that.
The tension bolt (at the nose of the saddle) is almost all the way in, that's a good sign. As the leather wears/sags, you have to back that bolt out, so it tightens the leather.

>>1801321
Not all of them have it. Selle Anatomica is the brand I like most, and I used to insist on having a cutout. But I've since had an otherwise identical saddle (they do both kinds), and it doesn't make a difference for me. (The only exception to that is riding in jeans, that thick seam right up the back will sometimes 'flick' against the cutout saddle. Just a small annoyance.)
>>
>>1801321
where's the cutout?
What's a cutout?
>>
>>1801326
>Not the other poster, but I'd buy that.
>The tension bolt (at the nose of the saddle) is almost all the way in, that's a good sign. As the leather wears/sags, you have to back that bolt out, so it tightens the leather.
thanks anon, I just pulled the trigger.
>>
>>1801327
keeps your genitals from having the blood supply stopped
>>
File: bottom.jpg (138 KB, 667x1000)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>1801327
Some people say it reduces pressure on your perineum. Who knows. I've tried both kinds, and didn't notice a difference, but saddles are one of those very personal experiences.
>>
>>1801275
>>1801285
Like if /fit/ could give me any better answers
>>1801310
Oh yeah, I can imagine things going like that but I'm too short on time for that, maybe I can do long trips once a month or something
>>
>>1801329
>>1801330
I see, I never had a cutout and never had an issue. I'm only buying this saddle to try a brooks out, if it feels right and I decide to get a new one I'll look at cut outs.
>>
File: lul.jpg (270 KB, 1200x900)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
not a question but i saw this for sale on craigslist and thought it was appropriate for 4chan
>>
>>1801272
road bikes are very efficient so you will need to sprint or climb hills to get an aerobic benefit comparable to running. there are a lot of analytic tools out there if you want to monitor your efforts and make it into a workout.
>>
>>1801344
I have a mountain bike, does that make any difference?
>>
>>1801272
Youll need to work based on your cardio beat mostly. Find out yourmax and do 1 hour workout at 60-70% of you max heartrate.
You can also do interval, start from a stop, Fartlek etc etc. Having hills is a bonus as they are a pure test for your mind resistance and aerobic capacity.

Be sure to have a decent saddle and some sort of padded short. Lycra is best for chafing issue avoidance.
>>
>>1801349
>>1801272
almost forgot keep your cadence (pedal round per minute) above 70 RPM at the beghinning and try to improve to 80/90 over time.
>>
File: L1010583-HDR.jpg (53 KB, 500x500)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Is one of these good for a tool kit or are they heavier than they are worth?
>>
>>1801374
I ride with a guy that carries one. I think it's a gimmick.
The only time one of the tools was useful was while changing a flat, person C had cranked the presta nut on there. We used the pliers to get it off.
Disclaimer: I'm a road cyclist.
>>
>>1801374
none of these tools are useful for a bicycle
get a proper bike multitool, they're cheap enough
>>
File: 1630537456027.png (2.49 MB, 1566x1172)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB PNG
I've remove the non-drive side of my bottom bracket. It says "36 x 24t 70" and if I google this a lot of products show up with Italian style threading.

Would this mean that my drive side bottom bracket is threaded so that I must turn anti-clockwise to loosen it?

Is it possible this shell is not necessarily indicative of what needs to be done to remove the bottom bracket fully?
>>
>>1801416
36 is the cup diameter (36mm)
24 is the thread measure (24 threads per inch)
70 is the BB shell width (70mm)
so yes, it is indeed an italian BB, which means both sides loosen counter-clockwise
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_bracket#Shell_diameters_and_threading
>>
>>1801421
Thanks

The amount of warnings I saw about possible Italian style threading with the extra disclaimer of "but it's very rare so dw' ...

Well, I've spent two days tightening my bottom bracket instead of loosening it. Hopefully no damage done.
>>
>>1801422
we've all been there breh
>>
>>1801239
(700-650)/2 = 25mm
>>1801272
A 'century' is roughly the bike equivalent of a marathon. Work up to it.
>>1801344
just go faster, retard
>>1801374
what are you even hypothetically expecting to fix with those?
>>
>>1801222
>look at what the pros are riding
fucking idiot
>>
>>1801430
>(700-650)/2 = 25mm
not how that works
>>
>>1801434
this guy knows what he's talking about and he says that modern road bikes are quite big
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg8MlmIdeGo
for example the trek size chart says size 58cm for 180-185cm which is awfully outdated, 56cm is the commonly used size for people as tall as 186cm
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74qDQpRUG_4
she probably followed the size chart and her bike looks too big for her
>>
>>1801435
It's very easy to call someone else wrong, and not provide your own answer.
>>
>>1801441
OK, but the pros are fucking pros. They usually like a lot of drop so they tend to use smaller frame and stick longer stems on them. Most people wouldn't be comfortable on a pro's bike.
>>
>>1801443
You're right, it is easy. It's also easy to look up information on wheel size standards and notations on your magic internet box by yourself rather than having it spoon-fed to you. But I'll lay it out anyway since I'm a nice guy.

We can ignore the tire dimensions since the question specified the same tire size for both scenarios. A 700C rim has an effective diameter of 622mm and a 650B rim has a diameter of 584mm. That's a difference of 38mm. Divide that by 2 for the radius, and that's a drop of 19mm.
>>
>>1801446
Next time don't take 2 posts to do it, you cuck.
>>
>>1801449
Next time take 45 seconds to look up dimensions and then do basic subtraction, you retard.
>>
>>1801106
Late reply, but I'd back all the nipples off one turn at a time, going around the wheel twice to keep things even-ish. Then look for the high and low spots in the rim, remembering that for radial true you're working with whole groups of spokes, not just the pair of spokes closest to those points. Keep in mind too that what look like low spots may be sections where the rim has been smashed inwards, so feel groups of spokes for tension as you work and that will help you figure out what's going on across the wheel as a whole.
>>
>>1801461
I'll back your nipples off, one turn at a time. Faggot.
>>
>>1801468
can i get in on this?
>>
File: 1643555418704.png (3.19 MB, 2338x1230)
3.19 MB
3.19 MB PNG
Any idea what these numbers refer to on my rear drop outs?
>>
>>1801477
They're almost certainly batch/production numbers for quality control.
>>
>>1801477
dating bikes and shit with serial numbers is for autismos
a lot of the times the numbers mean nothing and even if they did oh wow you now know exactly what year it was made who fucking cares?
you can work that out anyway by looking at catalogs or what the components are
>>
>>1801374
For bike stuff? Not specifically usefully no. But it's a multi tool, it's got a knife, pliers, screwdrivers, etc...
If you do things while on your bike other than ride, it's pretty nifty. Otherwise it's pretty missable desu.
>>
>>1801390
>The only time one of the tools was useful was while changing a flat, person C had cranked the presta nut on there. We used the pliers to get it off.
lol this happened to me on a tour
i got a flat and had to walk to a house to borrow pliers to get that fucking nut off
>>
File: 1627297527118.png (1.79 MB, 2240x1680)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB PNG
>>1801482
I only have the bare frame with its pain stripped completely. Some said it may be Cannondale but I spend a couple hours looking through catalogues and the rear drop outs + chain stays never match or they don't have a braze-on front derailleur.

Only reason I'm interested is because if it's a tried and tested frame rather than a random Chinese one, I will take the time to source the OG parts and have a project for myself.
>>
File: 1649141672791.jpg (279 KB, 914x693)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
>>1801441
>australian
>>
>>1801487
>integrated hanger
>downtube shifter mounts
trash
>>
>>1801491
retard
>>
>>1801491
i view integrated hangers as a good thing on vintage aluminium bikes because it encourages people to junk them when they have seen enough abuse to bend/break the aluminium hanger. These are cheap things that shouldn't be crashed and it's good to have an encouragement to not ride them past their service life.

unlike your expensive new bike that you really want to avoid scrapping.
>>
>>1801487
... have you ridden it? I really don't see the point in doing a full custom build on a forkless paintless mystery aluminium frame unless you know you like riding it and have sentimental attachment.

Hell half the charm of classic bikes is the paint/patina and the only ones worth repainting are super high end with serious rust issues.
>>
I ruined a spring trying to fix an old shimano 200GS shifter. I don't think it's salvageable.
Could try to find an identical shifter, replace the broken one with a newer shimano shifter, or just convert the bike to a single speed.
What should I do?
>>
>>1801592
yeah just replace the shifter
you can get decent ones off aliexpress if you cant find anything locally or dont want to pay new rrp
7spd shifters kinda thing you can probably scrap off junkers at a dump or whatever

if it's part of the brake you can hacksaw it off.
>>
>>1801374
i used to carry one of those on longer rides, but ditched in favor of tiny needle nose pliers and a small folding knife. both of those together still weighed less than the leatherman.
>>
>>1801594
Still have some LX shifters laying around, guess I'll use those. Won't look as nice but at least they'll work.
Thanks.
>>
>got into bicycles to safe money
>Get autistic obsession and spend all my savings on then
>>
>>1801606
Why are you posting my life story online
>>
>>1801491
Is it really trash because of those two things?
>>
>>1801609
no
in fact, DT shifter mounts are a sign of good quality
so is an integrated hanger, but only on a steel frame. you don't want that on an aluminium frame since when it snaps the frame is done for.
>>
>>1801604
dude what it will look better 200gs is low end as fuck plasticy crap

are the lx the right numebr of speds?
>>
File: 1652819915897.png (602 KB, 872x807)
602 KB
602 KB PNG
So I noticed that while I usually can't contend for strava KOMs I can often beat the QOM. Should I celebrate Pride Month dominating strava and becoming the fastest woman in my city?
>>
>>1801613
no, you shouldn't celebrate pride month, not even ironically
>>
>>1801612
The LX shifters are 3x8 instead of 3x7, but it should work fine.
I said that they probably wouldn't look as nice because I will be installing them on a 1992 Specialized hardrock, which after that won't be original anymore.
>>
>>1801623
'original' is a nonsense idea for bikes that aren't high end and specific
looking unmolested is a real value but you can have a bike that is completely custom and looks unmolested.

with low-ish bikes like that looking vaguely right is what to shoot for or just doing fucking whatever and looking good atleast.
>>
>>1801624
Makes sense. I'll turn it into something nice instead of keeping parts on it for the sake of keeping it original.
Helped me making a decision what to really do with the bike, thank you.

assuming you're the same anon.
>>
I see much larger men riding much smaller road bikes than mine. I know mine is too big for me(5'8), but it's 55cm and I'm seeing 6ft+ burly guys on bikes that are not as tall. I see it often.

What's that about?

Kinda jealous, makes me want to get a smaller bike. Kinda kino
>>
>>1801631
their backs probably hurt from running too much bar drop and or they dont ride much
>>
>>1801631
I assume it's because they think it looks cooler to have a three foot seatpost with 80mm setback and a 150mm stem to get the same fit. I'm 6'3" with a 60cm frame and it's too small if anything. Have to almost max out seatpost height and saddle setback just to not feel cramped.
>>1801634
you forgot to call them fat and poor
>>
>>1801631
56cm would be the right size for 6ft, if they ride 54cm they're the goofy ones. 52cm would be a good size for you.
>>
>>1801632
Sweet, I've seen you're posts in the MTB threads before, good stuff.
I live in bike land so parts are generally cheap and aplenty.
Assuming the parts on it are pretty low end, what else should I upgrade? I paid 50eu for the bike so could spend some more.

I already have those parts from an LX groupset so that's covered.
>>
Do I buy a CamelBak?
>>
>>1801631
Don't feel bad. Having little seatpost sticking out is actually structurally stronger. The seatpost acts like a lever the more it sticks out the greater the forces on the seattube and clamp. Plus this flex is inefficient ( although """comfortable"""")

Also if you have an old straight frame don't feel bad either cuz a straight top tube is actually more aero
>>
I bought this 1.9 litre steel flask to make a diy CamelBak. Someone else in it's reviews did the same. He said it fit his back nicely. Now my question is can I fit a hose to it and drink from it that way?
>>
File: 20220516_203641.jpg (1.26 MB, 3288x3000)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
if this is the size for the crank, where can i see the size for the pedal? cause the old pedal didnt have any number on it
>>
I am a painter and I like to paint outside. The painting kit is a little cumbersome to carry with a backpack while riding my road bike so I would like to have suggestions for an efficient way to carry my stuff:

-camera tripod, length is 42cm
-painting box around 23cmx23cm and pretty flat, maybe 5cm high

My bike is able to take a rack, but I am not sure if I even should get one. Maybe there is a smarter solution to this.
>>
>>1801687
99.9% of pedals have the same thread measure, just buy whatever
>>
>>1801690
the painting box should fit on top of any rack no problem, you can either put it inside a milk crate or some other basket and zip-tie it to the rack, or just strap the box directly to the rack with bungee cords, or just old tubes.
as for the tripod... carrying long stuff on a bike is always a bit awkward. one solution is strapping it to your top tube, between your legs. you can also just strap it across a rack and have people deal with your increased width, but then you risk crashing it against stuff
>>
>>1801690
electronics should be carried in a backpack to minimize being jolted around. basket, rack or both for other stuff. trailers are a thing too
>>
>>1801690
Pannier bags? Get a big enough and think you could fit the tripod and box in one
>>
File: 71Hmcch8qmL._SL1500_.jpg (165 KB, 1500x1500)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
I have vbrakes but like the aesthetics of cantis better, are they good breaks or would I be changing for an inferior product?
>>
>>1801758
>breaks
kys
>>
This is probably a dumb question. Got a new set of wheels today, nothing special, quite heavy, thick spokes, but the idea was durability and tyre compliance (the stock ones are a nightmare to work with). What I have is a standard shimano HG type hub body like in MTBs. The 11 speed cassette sits fine on them, but on the stock wheels, there is a shimano 11s road hub, but the spacer they used is thinner then what's recommended. So on the new wheels the gap between the cogs and the frame is really tiny. Please tell me all I need to do is adjust the high screw? I can swap the freehub body easily, but that's another few bucks and I dislike the idea of throwing money at the problem.
>>
>>1801758
V-brakes have more power, a lot more from experience. Easier to adjust too.
>>
Are AliExpress bibs good enough for filthy casual babby?
>>
>>1801758
I beg to differ. Used both a lot and well tuned cantis I find way better. Not sure why that is, but I would guess that by design, cantis pull the brake pads towards the rim always equally, while Vs start on one side and even if you go full ham on the brakes, that one side is always stronger than the other. Cantis have better modulation too.
>>1801778
I'm gonna say, it's not an inferior product and if you like them, that's a patrician choice. Any braking issues with cantis can be fixed easily and the worst case scenario, the pads are shit, but good ones are dirt cheap (look for soft rubber). The secret sauce is to set them at a slight angle, so one end of the pad touches the top of the rim, while the other touches the bottom.
>>
>>1801687
12.9 is the steel grade not the size
>>
Dropped off my bike at local bike shop as I was having difficulty shifting on front derailleur (but shifts perfectly fine stationary for some reason). Guy believes my front derailleur is worn since it's an older bike and unfortunately he doesn't have anything in store compatible. I need it fixed by Sunday for triathlon and I need to know what the hell to look for so I can get this fixed and done. It's a Cannondale R500 3x7 Speed if this helps. I'm still relatively new to bikes so apologies if this doesn't help much.
>>
>>1801803
>works in the stand
>doesn't work when you ride
i think i found the problem
>>
>>1801649
400mm seatposts exist and fucking seatpost flex isn't costing you wattz (but it is saving your taint a little bit).
>>1801783
>is paying $11 direct from china for something that normally costs $100 good enough?
nah i'm sure it'll be fine and definitely won't abrade all your taint skin off
>>1801803
This is the current shimano 3x7 'road' option but choosing between using new Tourney or old-and-half-broken actually good parts sounds like a wash to me. Just leave it on the big ring and stop being slow :^)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C45HXBS/ref
>>
>>1801692
thats what i thought but after taking out the pedals from an old bike of my dad, which is in good conditions, and went to try them on my bike i found out that they are too big
>>
>>1801787
>while Vs start on one side and even if you go full ham on the brakes, that one side is always stronger than the other. Cantis have better modulation too.
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>1801758
cantis have better brake feel and modulation but vs have better out and out power

This only matters if you're riding steep muddy trails, in which case, you'd be better of with a disc bike. V-s are basically a stopgap for discs for mtbing. Cantis are the better general purpose brake system.

The setup is far more difficult though and relies on a number of factors. Badly setup cantis are terrible.
The best cantis i've ridden and this might be slightly random are the old higher end shimano mtb ones that take smooth post pads, fully taken apart and cleaned, with kool stop eagles. And i have some expensive new cantis too. So i'd suggest you go that route if you can find some, not waste money on TRP.
>>
File: bottombracket2-opc.jpg (72 KB, 800x354)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1801811
Most pedals have a 9/16" thread, but there are also 1/2" pedals. They're used mostly on one piece cranks like pic related.
>>
File: IMG_3878.jpg (1.59 MB, 2676x3245)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
>>1801690
get a rack
zip tie a big metal basket on it
just very useful generally for groceries etc.
tripod could just be on an angle and strapped down poking out of the rack if the basket is too small for it.

you could also get a length of pvc pipe, like a big culvert one, and attach it vertically on the side of a rack to put tall things in more easily. Cut some small notches around to zip tie it on, or use u-clamps. You could run it flush to the bottom of the top basket and cut a hole in the basket for it.
>>
>>1801772
If it's not rubbing then it's fine. You should carefully adjust both limits. Detach the derailer cable to do it. Move the derailer against the limits with your hand, while pedalling in a stand/ with the bike hanging.
>>
>saw an Orbea locked outside with a $30 combination cable lock

Why are some people so brave?
>>
File: yea son.jpg (1.3 MB, 3457x2375)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>1801803
Broken how? Just has a lot of slop in it?
If you're running STI shifters and you have a boss for it, the easiest solution is to switch the front shifting to a friction downtube shifter. That will be much easier to setup and more forgiving for everything. Plus it's period-race spec. Look at Lance with that setup. That would be my preferred option.

Old indexed road triple stuff is generally shit.

Shimano FD-R2030 Claris Triple Front Derailleur is the new part i'd buy if you really want to fix it or don't have a dt shifter boss (you might still clamp one on). Really the best replacement though is something old/good without slop, for 7/8 speed, that has the triple middle ring pickup groove and is a road part.
>>
>>1801803
You are in a triathalon so depending on the terrain this may be a dumb question buuuuut.....why would you need the middle and small ring on an ancient 3x7 rig?

Alternatives are to call around and see if a bike shop or better a bike coop has the part. bike coop are run by stinky communists so if they fix it you'll have to pay them the eqivalent amount an LBS would charge and they'll take the money and give bikes to hobos.

Also keep in mind he said the deraileur was worn, not broken.

Also worst case scenario if you have a extensive hill portion is to dismount, shift to desired ring to climb and fuck that chicken
>>
>>1801850
im this guy

>>1801848
going dt is the most elegant solution never thought of that
>>
>>1801848
God Pantani was so good. Not sure who that faggot is next to him though.
>>
>>1801850
triple on an old race bike doesn't even mean wide gearing. Your standard race bike now has far wider than a tight road triple with close cassette from that era. Dura Ace cassettes are like 11-30. Small ring on a semi-compact isn't much bigger than a granny.
>>
>>1801803
You might also consider, if you want to spend some money, converting to an r-2000 claris crank with matching fd.

As a stiff race bike it will be appreciably stiffer, and depending on what you have the triple may even be desirable for touringfags so you can recoup some cost. You'd still need to re-think the shifter but again could just be a downtube shifter.
>>
>>1801861
a 50/34 double i mean
>>
I bought a used bike with a threaded headset. I want to service the bearings, but I don't know the type of tool I need to remove the top race. it's circlular with 3 notches equidistant around the circumference. does anyone know what the tool need is called so I can purchase it?
>>
>>1801863
post a picture
>>
>>1801848
>broken how
Just from testing he believes it's worn. I don't know much else from it. I don't have bike with me right now either as I had to leave overnight, but he was going to put a new chain on it and look at the tension on the cables and see if he can adjust it so I can transition from the medium and large ring without issues. Would be much preferable instead of gambling if it's going to catch every time I shift.

>>1801850
>why would you need the middle and small ring on an ancient 3x7 rig?
There are 2 hills on the course that you have to do twice. One of them isn't too bad, but the other sucks if you're not on the 1st gear. I can do it in 2nd if need be, but I'd much prefer 1st if I can.
>>
File: headset race.jpg (490 KB, 1572x1365)
490 KB
490 KB JPG
>>1801864
This is what it looks like. I know I can remove the locknut pretty easily, but I have no fucking clue how to approach that top race. it's an old univega if that helps.
>>
>>1801865
>Would be much preferable instead of gambling if it's going to catch every time I shift.
yeah so switch to a dt shifter.
>>
File: HCW-5_002.jpg (43 KB, 1200x630)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1801866
It's probably this or a variation on this.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (48 KB, 1155x681)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>1801866
but i would just use waterpump pliers (there's a slightly better bike specific version of these). They're rarely on that tight. You might even thread the thingy beneath it and they come off together if there isn't a notched washer between them.

Maybe spray some penetrant first and let it sit a while before you try loosen.
>>
>>1801868
>>1801869
thanks. I'll see about trying both.
>>
>>1801860
I understand this. My point is that most triathalons for cities will have a pretty tame cycling portion and even on an ancient 3x7 I wonder why he'd have to leave big ring but he answered it here>>1801865 I guess it's a circuit with a couple poopy hills
>>
>>1801868
>>1801869
>>1801873
I got it loosened with a lockring wrench I had lying around. Then the actual top race was stuck, so I ended up using an old pair of pliers to grip the patterned surface. thanks frens.
>>
How do I install Ultegra 6800 drivetrain on a Trek FX?
>>
>>1801897
you don't

dont be retarded
>>
>>1801222
I'm 180cm and I ride a 54cm, and it feels a bit small with the hands, but I am fat and not used to drops. I have the saddle relatively low so I think I couldn't handle a 56 either though. Bike fit is so finicky.
>>
>>1801897
Just buy a new bike bro.
>>
>>1801809
>is paying $11 direct from china for something that normally costs $100 good enough?
>implying bibs aren't all made in china
It's probably the same manufacturer, selling directly to the costumer. I'd bet my ass they sell each one for 5 or less to western manufacturers.
>>
>>1801934
they're not the same they just print whatever design on some cheapo bibs/jerseys. they can do custom designs too.
>>
>>1801934
>probably
>bet
oh so you don't know, thanks
>>
>>1801937
not him and i cant prove it in court but i know from myself and a lot of other people that legit bibs are legit and aliexpress bibs are shit

if you're just gonna sit in your pc chair and jerk off in them maybe it doesnt matter so much
>>
How much slower is an XC bike on gnarly trails, whatever the fuck that means. I am basically new to MTB and have not been on an MTB since rigid 26ers were a thing and nothing is the same anymore.

Am I right that XC bikes are designed to be ridden on flattish terrain, and "progressive" trail/enduro geometry is basically designed for climbing (steep seat tube) and descending (high trail) only? Because 76 seat tubes with zero offset posts seems like a fucked up position for riding on flattish terrain, and they seem to have very shallow head tube angles, more than I would need going 20mph.

I expect the bike to be able to handle all offroad shit, not just skilifts and be reasonably comfortable on fire roads and streets.
>>
>>1801949
your whole question and any answer you might get to it is retarded
it's all so ridiculously skewed to whatever your biased nonsense is that you look from that direction its totally meaningless

people ask this kind of question and don't even mtb they just ride smooth paths you could ride on a road bike. Not saying thats you but every genre of bike moves in a direction from each other that you might move also in a direction the same amount or more
>>
File: chinkshit.png (35 KB, 745x387)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>1801934
>it was made on the same continent as good products so it's probably just as good
k
>>
>>1801783
honestly after using some from aliexpress, you better off investing on better stuff like in decathlon, better quality there.
but if youre using aliexpress stuff its ok for under 1h use, and they can print custom design on it, got me some long riders fortuna kit :^)
>>
>>1801901
>>1801917
The Ultegra 6800 is free for me because someone gave me a bike they crashed. The frame is fucked, but the drivetrain is fine.
>>
>>1801963
You need drop bars and brifters for it also new double chainrings and new fitting cassette etc…
Basically you need to make your fx into a roadbike with that heavy ass frame. Not feasible.
Get a road bike that fits the ultegra instead
>>
File: 1647725148290.jpg (29 KB, 374x409)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>1801848
a quick-fix solution that would actually be good. Nice tip anon.
>>
>>1802048
>>1802048
>>1802048
>>
>>1801309
my ass hurts just looking at that..nice looking tho
>>
>>1801963
get a chinese carbon frameset
>>
>>1801843
Thank you, that was what I was looking for and I just wanted to make sure if there isn't any bag I overlooked. The basket seems to be the most reasonable and versatile option, there are even many out there that can fit the tripod, so I don't even need to modify anything.
>>
>>1801631
you want to be a headtubelet?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.