[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 16 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Sunrace.png (406 KB, 1309x613)
406 KB
406 KB PNG
Why bother with a cassette when you can get a 11-36 freewheel

What is the benefit of a casette over a freewheel

A freewheel seems pretty convenient to me desu
because the whole thing is a single unit and the wheels they thread on are cheap unlike wheels with freehubs
>>
So I just read up on the broken axle with freewheels being a relatively common problem thing

I am someone who spins at a high rpm and never sprints or pushes too hard. Am I at risk of broken axles?
>>
>>1798435
It is an enormous pain in the ass to get old freewheels off. Sometimes they are so tight you destroy the wheel removing them because the hub twists enough to fuck the spokes. Any modern freewheel hub is also going to be shit, all halfway decent hubs are freehubs
>>
>>1798435
>>1798437
lol
>>
>>1798437
If you're a fatass who rides offroad and plows potholes, there's some risk.
>>
Get whichever one fits your wheel op what are you doing
>>
>>1798442
I am a manlet no

I also got a solid axle and not some meme quick release so that makes it even stronger
>>
>>1798435
I love sunrace freewheels, not only they perform well but they are build like a cassette, so with some tinkering you got thé best of both Worlds.
I have a 70s french bike that can only take 5sp frewheels so I just buy a sunrace freewheel and change the cogs

>>1798437
Only if its a low tier cheap india,china no name part, and even then first they bend
>>
>>1798435
48x16 is all i need.
>>
they're heavy and they wobble
also can't replace single cogs
>>
>>1798499
Horrible skid patch brother 48/17 is king
>>
>>1798435
they are a rudimentary standard, there's no reason to replace the ratchet every time you replace the sprockets. it was fine for singlespeeds because they last a long time and those freewheels are supposed to convert fixies into something rideable, but there was no reason to preserve backwards compatibility when derailleur came, the hubs became wider, the frames became wider, you might as well make a new standard
>the wheels they tread on are cheap
because nobody fucking wants them, for a reason
i wonder why to this day nobody's made a freewheel to casette adapter
>>
File: new-winner-cog-board.jpg (1.57 MB, 3400x4370)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
>>1798559
>they wobble
Kino. I miss having my bike in a stand & watching the wobb.
>can't replace single cogs
Wasn't always that way.

>>1800054
>i wonder why to this day nobody's made a freewheel to casette adapter
It's obvious, if you have a brain. Hint: grab your calipers and open them to 1.37". You might be able to figure it out from there.
>>
>>1800035
skidding is cringe
>>
>>1798435
>>1798458
I replaced the 14-28 Shimano 7 speed freewheel with a 13-34 Sunrace 7 speed freewheel, and I'm very satisfied with it. Ratios are nicer for climbing hills, and it's ever so slightly faster at the fastest speeds.

Full SIS compatibility means that the rest of the drive train remains the same and is completely unaffected.
Sunrace are the go-to for quality freewheels. Actually, I noticed that the Shimano freewheel made no noise when coasting, but the Sunrace audibly ratchets. Not sure why, but I think it's good that I can actually hear the ratchet.
>>
>>1798435
why bother riding when you clearly ride garbage?
>>
>>1798435
>Why bother with a cassette when you can get a 11-36 freewheel

1. Because fair quality freewheel hubs died long time ago.
2. Removal of a freewheel off a hub can be a pita
3. You need to address 'axle bending and breaking' problem.

Also - this freewheel costs more than a 10sp cassette and a hub.
>>
>>1798559
You need to face the freewheel side of the hub before installing the freewheel, then they don't wobble.
>>
>>1800058
even if you use brakes, the better the skid patch the more you're tires will last, retard

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.