[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 80 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: bikelock-2048px-2365.jpg (461 KB, 2048x1365)
461 KB
461 KB JPG
Are high end bike locks worth it? Cable ones can be cut through like it's butter and chains although stronger are far too heavy.
I bought a cheap one but the key housing is fucking plastic ffs, what lock is a good compromise?
>>
>>1796813
you shouldn't be compromising on security. It's like install a shitty cardboard front door because you're a miser.
>far too heavy
how weak are you?
>>
rule of thumb is your lock should cost 10% of what your bike cost
>>
>>1796831
Works out for my craigslist bike then.
>>
deter causal thefts by increasing the cost and bulk of the tools needed to overcome the bike lock
>>
>>1796831
$20
>>
>>1796813
No. Just get a beater bike that you wouldn't care about if it got stolen. My several thousand dollar bike will never leave my sight.
>>
>>1796831
Alternatively, whatever the excess is on your insurance. My insurance pays for my bike and two locks, but I have to pay £70 and I paid about £70 for my locks. So if both locks get broken and the bike stolen, I get the whole ensemble back for the same cost as the locks.
>>
>>1796813
I use chunky motorbike chains with 2lb padlocks, I have 3 and they are all left where I need them. One at work, one is at a friends business close to where I do most of my city centre stuff and the third is at home. Yes, I lock my bike up at home, it's about 25 grands worth of 1984 Cook Bros artwork.
>>
>>1796896
This. It's the only way to breathe easy.
>>
>>1796813
>>1796896
This.

All lock types take the same time/effort to break. A $20 Schwinn Ulock takes just as much effort as a $80 kryptonite. Titanium is a scam, look up YouTube videos of how fast (like 45 seconds) it takes to cut through a $150 TiGr lock.

The best defense against theft is camouflage. My commuter is a good quality, but old and ugly, so thieves skip it, to snatch the shinny new Scott

https://youtu.be/R2QzusbKlGM
>>
>>1796813
If you have to leave your bike unattended in public, yes, you will want to spend the extra money on a high quality lock. Sure, no bike lock is truly secure, but if you need special picks or power tools to get through it then the chances that your bike will be stolen drop drastically. Don't make the same mistake I did and lock your bike with a shitty wire lock. Those things are trivial to cut through.
>>
>>1797060
>Just have your bike looking like garbage and bend over to thieves.
Fuck that cuck shit.
>>
>>1796813
>Are high end bike locks worth it
No. Because if someone goes out with cracking bike locks in mind and the right tools, a "good" lock won't save you. Also know that locks can be picked ez so it does not really matter how thicc the chain is. What you want is good enough protection for opportunistic thefts. Thats it. If someone wants to steal it, it will get stolen even if you put 10 locks. For insurance or something just make sure it was at least adequately secured to justify someone deliberately cracked and stole it, anything else is being paranoid. Best u can do is live in a higher trust society away from niggers.
>>
>>1796813
My recent googling suggests that U locks have the most strength per dollar. So if you're going to get a cheap lock, go with a U lock.
>>
>>1797122
That's stupid, security is not all the same.
>>
>>1797137
just pick the big shitty lock, 10s job
>>
>>1797152
>Shitty lock
It's a squire dum dum, Lockpickinglaywer takes over 2min to pick it, you ain't picking it on the street.
>>
File: 334948_2000x2000.jpg (323 KB, 2000x2000)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
>>1797137
Give me 30 seconds with a cordless angle grinder fitted with a zipdisc on that big ol chain and I promise I'll have it off before you even finish ordering a coffee.
So no, it's not stupid. A thief that wants your bike only needs this one simple tool and you're fucked no matter what sort of contraption you have locking it in place.
Super expensive locks may work against a crackhead equipped with a chaincutter, but not against an angle grinder.
>>
>>1797350
>Just use an angle grinder in the middle of the day with people around bro
No one is going to do that shit, not for a lock that takes more than a couple seconds.
>>
>>1797390
would you stop someone trying to steal a bike?
neither would 99.999999% of people.
also if you just wear a reflective vest nobody will even look twice
>>
>>1796813
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpVOTEOMRuE
>>
>>1797403
you're begging to get caught if you do it more than once, there's surveillance cameras etc. you're better off looking in people's garages for $2000 ebikes than taking random $50 beaters.
>>
>>1797060
titanium is a pain in the ass to cut through retard. 45 seconds is a lot with power tools.
>>
>>1797443
see >>1796831
a $50 beater won't have a lock that takes 30 seconds to grind open
and yes people do lock $2000 bikes outside
>>
>>1797390
>no one is going to do that shit
LOL
A quick search reveals how wrong you are. Even in the middle of a crowd, in the middle of the day, people won't do shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpbtj3uCN8c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFmU2ouPUSE
>>
>>1797524
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dz0Za5-wOM
https://youtube.com/shorts/omwszNh36J4?feature=share
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcHOVSsfXQ0
>>
>>1797524
it's exceedingly rare, you could post videos of people getting pushed into the path of a subway train, but even in those shithole cities those things are rare, like getting bit by a shark, it's not a real thing to worry about, a lot of bike thiefs do get caught eventually
>>
>>1797524
>>1797529
>>1797350
With that being said it seems there is a U-lock available by Hiplok that will actually stand grinder attacks by destroying the zipdisc faster than it can cut.
Pretty cool but only if you have $350 dollars to spend on the U-lock alone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPxzljAv5Nk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=demX33BKSoI
>>
>>1797529
Lmao I was looking at the video thinking the nog with the woodie would be the one stealing the bike only for the white dude with the trenchcoat to pull out the grinder.
>>
File: P1060150-1440x809.jpg (146 KB, 1440x809)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>1797531
why is there nothing to fowl rotary tools ?
>>
>>1797612
Fouling doesn't really work. Zip-discs just melt through synthetics like rubber coatings and fiber jackets; all they do is make smoke and splatter molten material all over, but they don't actually affect the cutting surface much until it reaches the metal.
Zip-discs are usually designed to cut through steel and ironically, if used against aluminium they do break down a lot faster (but still cut through). They make aluminium-specific zip-discs too so that's not an option.
Food for thought.
>>
>>1797390
Put on coveralls and a orange safety vest.
People will just think a citty worker removes a bike with lost keys
>>
>>1797712
normaly fiberglass is used which wont melt. its supposed to stall the grinder in the same way when someone tries to drill a wall with fiberglass insulation behind it and the drill grabs
>>
File: lock.jpg (7 KB, 204x183)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>1796813
Bike locks work more as a deterrent. Any can be cut or picked given the tools and the right amount of time, but this is something your usual bike thief doesn't have. I use a standard u-lock, but also something that is made for motorbikes - you lock this on you disc and when someone tries to tamper with it, the siren starts. It's pretty heavy though.
>>
>>1797531
this is the only lock that would make bike commuting in a city even sort of palatable and you can't even buy it
>>
Are these wheel locks worth it? I have quick release levers on my bike and it would suck if someone decides to steal it.
>>
>>1797531
Are there any vids of attempts using a hydraulic jack? That method was popular when ulocks first started showing up and before cordless
>>
You're not trying to secure against someone with an angle grinder. Yore trying to secure it against tin snips and small bolt cutters.

The Bike Theif wants something fast and easy. To avoid being seen and interfered with.

If you're really worried. Drop a gps tracker or an air tag into the frame. Then you can at least tell the police where it is.

Disc brakes and a lock on the brake are also good. Because the thief can not ride it away or push it on to Truck.
>>
>>1797592
>thinking the nog with the woodie would be the one stealing
Based black guy comes back and warns the lady about chaining up there.
>>
>>1800609
>Then you can at least tell the police where it is.
The cops don't care.
>>
>>1796831
wtf i'm not paying $450 for a bike lock
>>
>>1801104
>>
>>1796813
We had some bike thieves come into my town years ago. They didn't even bother picking/cutting locks, they just took an angle grinder to the whole bike rack, loaded it up with all the bikes attached to it into their flatbed and drove off. They stole hundreds of bikes in 2 days and then they just vanished, lol. All the bikes got parted and put into circulation into eastern europe. They got my dad's bike like that. If someone seriously wants YOUR bike and you aren't there, you can't really do shit. Your best bet is to mitigate in case of a loss, and make your bike look less appealing than those around it. Another time my friend got his bike stolen at a train station so he started using big ass tempered steel chains with the kind of padlock store owners put on metal shutters, so they just vandalized his bike out of spite, now he only leaves unattended a shitty Facebook marketplace place bike he fixed up.
>>
For me, it's Altor SAF
>>
>>1800601
I use a similar version that's just a 5mm Allen key. So I can get help if I forgot my tools/key.

Security wise, its good enough. Not going to stop a dedicated bike thief, nothing really will. But will stop quick garb and dash which is most of the theft here, opportunistic thefts.

If you can keep your bike in sight, high traffic area, or next to you. And next to a nicer bike with a worse lock than yours.
>>
>>1801104
You probably shouldn't be leaving a $4500 bike anywhere unattended anyway, so that works out fine.
>>
>>1801260
>so they just vandalized his bike out of spite
What kind of shithole do you live in?
>>
>>1801371
Central Italy
>>
>>1801371
Blackmerica
>>
File: 1632378559888.jpg (133 KB, 696x522)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
I was lurking 2ch /n/ and the elves were discussing using removable pedals as an additional deterrent for bike thieves. Like the ones that have a quick release connector and are seen usually on folding bikes.
It's pretty smart actually, because a thief would think twice about jacking a bike when he sees it has no pedals and he can't just b-line it out of there on it once he cuts the lock.
>>
File: 1632470841443.jpg (48 KB, 1024x682)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>1802241
additionally, I guess there are detachable pedals that also double as tire locks.
>>
the best defense is multiple locks
>>
>>1802241
>>1802242
I thought nobody stole bikes in japan?
>>
>>1796813
>King hubs
>SRAM cranks
Why would someone do this? It's like getting dry aged wagyu beef and then putting ketchup on it. Or is this one of those troll bikes?
>>
>>1802300
>CK
>SRAM (>sram)
>ritchey

ameriboo
>>
>>1797403
If it was my bike I definitely would
>>
The most cost-effective trick is to have two different cheap locks. Any bike thief can break a cable lock or a D-lock, but they probably won't have two separate sets of tools to break both at the same time.
>>
>>1801352
True, it's just for trails, I don't stop for icecream or coffee while I'm riding. Just take it out of car, ride, ride back to car, put in car, drive away. I store it in my garage
>>
>>1802300

whats wrong with SRAM?
>>
Use a good dlock in combination with a cable, best to have a tracker too. Bait bike anon here, just caught another one.
>>
>>1803817
what do you do after you catch them?
>>
>>1803844
Well, it's 3am and I am in a police car giving a statement. He headbutted an officer in custody so he's fucked
>>
>>1803844
And I will make a youtube vid in a few days.
>>
>>1802241
Why not just carry a spanner? or does that take too much time?
>>
>>1796813
tannerite bike locks
>>
>>1803817
doing god's work, anon!
>>
>>1802289
>I thought nobody [activity] bikes in [entire country]?
>>
>>1803817
>>1803848
Absolutely and unequivocally based
Thanks, I had so much headaches and pondering due to bike thiefs, maybe doing what you do is better than any lock because it shifts the entire societal equation of bike theft.
>>
>>1797122
>locks can be picked ez
>hurrrrr some youtuber picked a lock
No one picks locks, ever, anywhere. Its more of a crime to have lockpicks on you than having an angle grinder in your pack and no one retarded enough having to resort to stealing is going to bother learning how to pick locks.
>>
>>1805279
any decent lock is reasonably pick resistent anyway, people like lockpickinglawyer are on another level even compared to most professional locksmiths
>>
>>1796813
no, just get good insurance idiot.
Same as using banks or w/e rather than walking around flashing cash.
>>
>>1796813
use a trash bike for those high-theft situations. it'd be kind of fun to ride a shitty bike actually.
>>
>>1805594
If you're touring that doesn't work.
>>
>>1805607
it does
lots of people tour on shitty bikes
take your nice bike to japan or switzerland
>>
>>1805096
Thanks for the kind word fren. Another bait bike just went out!
>>
>>1805607
If you're touring, your bike is either under you, within line of sight, inside a hotel/hostel with staff watching it or built into your tent.
>>
Why don't they make locks out of the stuff safety pants are made off, so when you start to cut it, it gunks up the angle grinder with long fibers, or maybe some liquid stuff inside that hardens when it comes in contact with air and blocks the motor?
>>
>>1805677
they do.
>>
>>1805626
200% based anon
>>
>>1803848
Been a few days, larp
>>
>>1806156
Thanks!
>>1806492
Sorry, the first one I caught the other week turned out to be a bigger fish. He is staying silent so I have to go to court to finish him off, therefore can't fo this vid yet. The next vid is almost ready to go, teenagers took that one and the police could not attend. Just been busy with work
>>
>>1797530
.t a bike thief
>>
>>1806492
Here it is. https://youtu.be/uanXygNnwRA
>>
>>1809625
lmao England is such a fucking shithole.
I subscribed to you bro, but it's on NewPipe so you ain't gonna see it.
>>
>>1803220
Mind telling me more about precisely where this garage is?
>>
>>1809969
by my house

kinda by Denver
>>
>>1809625
No fear in them lad. They know full well you could have brought 4 meat wagons full of cops and they wouldn’t have got so much as a fine for stealing from what could be the poorest in society. You would be morally justified in taking a machine gun to their entire family. Bet they haven’t worked in 4 generations.
>>
>>1811275
Next time it's a group of teenagers I'm going to do a drive by on them. With the big can of farb gel I got. Everyone gonna be red as a baboons arse.
>>
>>1809969
I would go there is I were you anon
>>
>>1797524
simply don't live in a shithole nigger filled city

at that point just take it indoors
>>
is it viable to paint the walmart logo on my bike so no one would be willing to steal it?
>>
File: 1640326845220.gif (1.93 MB, 400x300)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB GIF
>>1797530
>a lot of bike thiefs do get caught eventually
...and then go back on the streets on a matter of hours because the police are cucked and the DA is "progressive".
>>
>>1811682
yes, post results
>>
>>1812028
paint costs a lot, i'll just find a big walmart sticker
>>
>>1812032
just scratch "walmart" on your bike with a key
>>
>>1812040
I think that would damage it too much
>>
>>1812047
but it's free
>>
>>1812049
my trek isn't, I can only defile it so much before I feel bad
>>
File: image.png (38 KB, 640x640)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>1796813
>high end
Recommend me high end trustworthy brands, I'm in the market for such a lock.
>>
>>1813241
Just get a Kryptonite U-Lock like everyone else.
>>
>>1813242
>U-Lock
Has to be chain.
>>
>pay paramilitary contractor 20k per month to guard my bicycle
if you can't personally stand next to your bike with a firearm, best pay a professional to do it for you.
>>
>>1813243
no
>>
>>1813243
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/000808.html?type=bicycle
>>
>>1813273
fu
>>
Hang a bunch of rotting meat on the frame. If the stench doesn't keep thieves away, then the flies will.
>>
Fill the frame with cum so that it’s too heavy to steal. Then, when you want to ride it, simply open a drain plug you’ve installed at the base of the frame and drain the cum out. Refill when you next need to leave it somewhere
>>
>>1800567
>scoops your bike into the back of a van and drives away
nothin personnel kid
>>
i wanna buy a litewate lock cause i am a weight weenie, any recommendations?
>>
chain locks are supposed to be awkward to grind through because they move around and stuff. I think one thick enough to not be easily cut by bolt cutters is your best bet.
>>
>>1796813
this is why I daily ride the cheapest 2nd hand bike I could find. Nobody wants to steal that load of iron junk, and even if they do, I can get another one for 30 bucks and fix any problem it may have by myself
>>
>>1800609
>Then you can at least tell the police where it is.
The police won't give a shit, but at least you can see if it's been dumped in a ditch somewhere. And probably makes filing the insurance claim easier.
>>
It’s ok, just spend thousands on a bike to cancel out the weight of a chain lock. Pic rel
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/nextfuckinglevel/comments/vi576d/guy_over_engineered_his_bicycle_to_fuck_thieves/
>>
>>1815681
>mod deleted the post because he has a stick up his ass along with a bag of aids ridden dicks and a colostomy bag to drain all the semen he chugs on a daily basis

fucking reddit
>>
>>1815474
how far and hilly is your commute?
>>
>>1816047
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquarePosting/comments/vikqk0/guy_over_engineered_his_bicycle_to_fuck_thieves/
>>
>>1806492
You, fucking apologise to
>>1809625
>>
>>1801346
>that's just a 5mm Allen key
isn't that just a through-axel? my bike came with those.
>>
>>1816598
thru-axle is threaded into the frame, it's a different system with different wheel hubs (although some hubs can be converted). he's talking about a quick release skewer without the quick release mechanism.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.