[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Velo PEV ebike.jpg (1.92 MB, 4000x3000)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
How do we make the roads safer for lightweight PEVs, velos and ebikes?

I was thinking instead of those pesky traffic cameras we could install motion activated speed bumps. Just a series of blocks that normally sit flush with the road but raise up whenever someone does more than 5 or 8mph over the speed limit.

Since most car trips are 11 miles or less it doesnt make sense to use a 4,000 pound vehicle to move a single human from A to B and back.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>1796176
>motion activated speed bumps
lmao
>>
The point of speed bumps is you see them coming and slow down to avoid damaging your car, if they were motion activated you would just get your car fucked up.
>>
>>1796176
Driving licence, registration and insurance for bicycle, pev and such.
Licence medium according to moden tech levels. Aka app on the smartphone.
AI image recongition networked cameras that detect riders without licence (comparing real time database of smartphones coordinates with driving license movement to street videos.) and guide intercept police sguads to arrest criminals and confiscate illegal bikes.
Also app on the smartphone can instantly detect traffic laws violations (speeding, red light runing etc).
>>
It seems to have gone nowhere for whatever reason but a couple years back a company announced non-newtonian speed bumps. If you've ever seen videos of people making non-newtonian fluid out of water and starch to punch it or run across it or whatever, it's a fluid that becomes more solid the more sudden force is applied to it. As a speed bump this means the bump deforms and becomes barely a bump at all, therefore not stressing your suspension, if you approach it slowly enough, but hardens when you're speeding across it.
>>
>>1796199
>Driving licence, registration and insurance for bicycle, pev and such.
Get fucked, salty cager.
>Aka app on the smartphone.
Get fucked, tech addict.
>AI image recongition networked cameras
Get fucked, Orwell.
>Also app on the smartphone can instantly detect traffic laws violations
Get fucked again, Orwell.
>>
>>1796199
please kill yourself
>>
>>1796199
Yes lets punish those who are part of the solution rather than fix the problem which is fat cagers like yourself. :)
>>
>>1796212
So you are saying licensing, registration, insurance and traffic laws are punishment?
>>
>>1796199
I agree on rider licenses especially as a Dutchman where things like red lights, lane markers, and right of way are treated as suggestions. Everything you said after that however was bullshit.
>>
>>1796216
Theres that fat cager myth that all cyclists are somehow crazy while the truth is you cagers break traffic laws more often than cyclists.

https://www.bicyclecolorado.org/bike-news/colorado-safety-stop-becomes-law/
>>
>>1796216
>especially as a Dutchman
Of course you are.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2019/05/10/cyclists-break-far-fewer-road-rules-than-motorists-finds-new-video-study/
>>
>>1796216
>I agree on rider licenses
Sure lets discourage people from getting healthy and using more sustainable and environmentally friendly modes of transportation. Makes perfect sense. While we're at it lets waste lots of police and community resources by forcing homeless and poor people to deal with unnecessary expenses.

Dumbass.
>>
>>1796222
>Let's discourage people from following laws
>>
>>1796234
Lets encourage cyclists to ride safety rather than brainlessly obeying laws and traffic systems that were never designed for them.
>>
>>1796234
There are no laws requiring cyclists to get registrations licenses or insurance. Even the helmet law in King County, Washington was recently struck down because among other things it was unenforceable and took up too much of law enforcements resources when they could be doing far more useful things.
>>
>>1796214
They're meant as damage control for cars which DESPITE ALL THOSE REGULATORY MEASURES STILL KILL 38,000 PEOPLE IN THE STATES ALONE but if there's no damage worth mentioning to control they do indeed turn into nothing more than punishment. Cagers see cyclists not regulated to the same degree as them and get FUCKING SALTY about it.
>>
>>1796199
Nice bait, ya got me.
We have functionally no licensing system in the US for non-commercial drivers, so when we actually have one, we can think about others
>>
>>1796176
add even more tech nannies into modern cars.
They are already so full one more bike/pedestrian recognition camera self breaking funcion would not even be noticed by your avarage Karen.

You would still have some /o/utist driving around in clapped 90s subarus, but those are statistically a small percentage of the driving population.
>>
>>1796199
Seems like a good start if it's applied equally for cars.
>>
>>1796176
death penalty, and bike cops riding bait bikes unmarked. People should be TERRIFIED that every cyclist is a cop. Also hazard triangles
>>
>>1796199
yes more gov regulations. The same govs that make yuros limited to 250w motors on bikes and not scooters or eucs.
>>
>>1796530
Ever heard of a cop asking what the wattage is on an ebike during a traffic stop? I havent.
>>
>>1796552
they do confiscate scooters
>>
>>1796559
Not what I asked, but ok. Where does this happen?
>>
>>1796176 Its more then safe to ride eshot alongside cars. If you are not comfortable doing it learn to drive a car or even a motorcycle. It helps a fucking lot.
Also unban EUCs, delet kikelanes, remove stupid 20-40kph zones, artificial obstacles, stop reducing road width and parking space.
>>
>>1796190
> implying this is bad
>>
The trouble with /o/ and /n/ is that you retards hate each other.
>AAAARRHGHH I HATE CYCLING REGULATIONS, BUT CARS NEED TO BE REGULATED TO SHIT FUCK CARS AAAAAAAA THEY CAN HURT ME IF THEY WANT TO WAAH
from /n/faggots.

>OOOOOOOOOOHHHH I FUCKING HATE BICYCLES THEY MAKE ME ANGRY HOW DARE THEY NOT PAY INSURANCE LIKE ME EVEN THOUGH I'M THE ONE DRIVING A 1000 POUND BATTERING RAM AAAAAAAA FUCKING CYCLIST SUBHUMAN COMMIES
from /o/tards.

Look at the real evil here - gubbermint regulation, which fucks EVERYONE up, and people being irresponsible cunts.
Teach people to be responsible on public roads instead of implementing nanny-state freedom-obliterating solutions for both sides.

I personally hate bikefags for demanding that cars have as many handicaps as possible, which makes me bitter towards bikefags for them always being butthurt leftists that want centralization/globohomo for others but not themselves, and I hate carfags for being fucking asshats and making it unsafe to ride my bike within 20 feet of a road, because they are fundamentally stuck in the cagie mentality.

You're all crabs in a bucket that're literally saying "rules for thee but not for me."
Please, anons, learn to fucking get along so life can improve for us all.
Or at the very least, don't bother others about their fucking choices in personal transport when plenty of degeneracy is legal in the modern world, but none of you are complaining about the real cancer of this world.
You're like two fucking autists screeching out of each other while the world burns around you, and instead of connecting your two pieces of hose together to put it out, you continue screeching 'till the fucking roof (big gubbermint and ALL personal transport being illegal, you will own nothing and be happy and eat bugs) falls on you and kills you.
>>
>>1800246
Screeching at each other.*
>>
>>1796200
probably didn't go anywhere because it isn't durable. And when it breaks a bunch of goo would get everywhere
>>
>>1800246
Rejected. Get fucked.
>>
>>1800246
Well I guess you are right. The current state of affairs is basically a tug of war between bike riders, drivers, and public transportation advocates, even though there is plenty of room for improving things that would benefit everyone.
Public transportation is not a zero sum game after all.
>>
>>1796530
>and not scooters or eucs.
because those literally aren't legal on public roads*, and quite rightly as well. while we're here the purpose of an electric assist bike is to give you a push if you're too old or fat, not to effectively be an unregistered motorbike as you amerisharts seem to think.

*except rental e scooters in some parts of bongistan, but you need a category AM moped licence.
>>
>>1796190
Speed bumps usually have signs prior and bright paint over them, keep those and there wont be a difference in perception for a driver- they will see a sign, they will see black n yellow in the distance, and once they close in they'll see the bump already lifted.
>>
>>1796176
>let's install a complex, expensive, maintenance heavy, over-engineered, motorized, computerized device cause i'm scared
How about fuck you instead? If there's one lesson to learn from the memevirus of 2019 is that people like you should be quarantined for life
>>
>>1800841
>I'm poor so I need to make having fun illegal
>>
File: file.png (1.48 MB, 1000x800)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB PNG
>>1796176
just sounds like speed humps with extra steps and more cost
>>
>>1796176
>How do we make the roads safer for lightweight PEVs, velos and ebikes?
we do blood sacrifices of lightweight PEVs, velos and ebike owners untill the pavement is nothing but blood and scabs, then christ will come and expell the jews to hell.
>>
>>1796176
>pic
why is it unpainted transparent plastic
that looks fucking perverted
>>
>>1800967
The Netherlands called. They would like to discuss effective traffic calming measures they've already implemented.
>>
File: Electrom.jpg (43 KB, 474x474)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1802559
Because thats someones E-penis. Also I dont want to shill with a mass produced velo Ebike. Having said that the Electrom does look sweet but not rain proof.
>>
>>1802559
paint is dead weight
>>
>>1800246
No, cars are cancer and must have as many handicaps as possible. There is no need to regulate cycling because cycling is cheap, safe and healthy.
>>
>>1800246
What is your solution, oh most enlightened of centrists?
>>
File: 1653558799337.jpg (10 KB, 315x210)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1803694
>More Public Transportation so there is less need of using a car or bicycle
>More Walkable Towns so there is less need of using a car or bicycle
>Separate bicycle lanes from roads, make sure they don't obstruct traffic
>Cyclists drive next to pedestrians instead of cars
Pic related, works flawlessly here in my suburban German town.
Cyclists will lose any direct political battle with cars. There are many more people commuting with their car instead of their bicycle. There is more lobbying power in the automotive industry compared to the bicycle industry. If tomorrow all bicycles would disappear few people would notice. If tomorrow all cars would disappear the entire economy would collapse.
Cyclists should advocate for a solution that doesn't involve cars, because that's the only way they can win.
>>
>>1804367
the problem with mixed use path is that lycra fags will zoom past little kids at high speeds with no regard for safety
>>
>>1804400
this but e-bike boomers
>>
>>1800836
>Public transportation is not a zero sum game after all.
This reminds me of a semi-local project where a project to dual a highly congested single carriageway road between two cities is getting delayed by the Green Party because of their hatred towards your right to long distance transport.
Their motive is entirely ideological since the construction of the new road will clear town centres of pollution, reduce local congestion, and allow for the creation of a safe cycling/public transport corridor using the old route.

Pretending to be at peace whilst at war will ensure defeat.
>>
>>1804400
This will remain an issue so long as those type of cyclists remain politically and legally untouchable.
Cyclists who kill people by running them over get a slap on the wrist, cyclists who kill themselves by riding in a HGV's blind spot get the world's attention.
>>
>>1804445
There are no blind spots unless your country is pants on head retarded about truck design and mandated truck mirrors.
>>
>>1804447
>There are no blind spots
https://www.vision-techniques.com/news/where-are-the-blind-spots-on-a-hgv/
In the UK, HGVs, or any large vehicle, will often have a warning on its back telling cyclists not to pass the vehicle in its blind spot because of the amount of retards that get themselves killed because of that.
Nothing can be done beyond that because as I've said before, cyclists are untouchable in this country. All responsibility goes towards the motorist in an accident even when it is absolutely the fault of the cyclist.
>>
>>1796176
Retard
>>
>>1804448
>Nothing can be done beyond that because as I've said before, cyclists are untouchable in this country. All responsibility goes towards the motorist in an accident even when it is absolutely the fault of the cyclist.
Must be nice because here in the US the first thing they ask is was the cyclist wearing a helmet, even if it was the fault of the motorist and it typically is.
>>
>>1804453
You must be 18 or older to use this site.
>>
>>1804456
There was no need to say more than that. For an idea like that the only suitable comment was an insult.
>>
>>1804459
You're right, you are small brained and one word rebuttals suit you well.
>>
>>1800246
Get raped woth aids u dumb nigger cager faggot
>>
>>1800246
Cars are fit to be regulated because they produce a number of negative externalities. They are the cause of many deaths and serious injuries from misuse, degrade the air quality in their vicinity, take up large amounts of public space when in use and are noisy, amongst other things. The same is not true of bicycles, to any reasonable extent.
>>
>>1804620
I wonder if any of you guys can answer this question: bikes have existed for over 100 years yet they are not widely used. Why? (Hint the answer is not because of muh fat people)
>>
>>1805317
It's impossible to answer that question, because it contains a faulty premise.
>>
>>1805358
the premise is fine. I literally described reality. The overwhelming majority of people at least in the US have never even considered bicycles as a legitimate form of transportation
>>
>>1805427
Many Americans do not consider unsweetened vegetables food
>>
>>1805317
the most sold vehicle on earth is a bicycle.
>>
>>1805491
Most people on earth are poorfags who will never be able to afford a car.
>>
>>1796176
seperate bicycle lanes, jesus.
It's already been done in the n
>>
They passed that huge infrastructure bill and so far in the fairly affluent suburbs where I live they've not added even one painted stripe for us cyclists and pedestrians.

In DC they did convert a few roads into cyclist/pedestrian only paths, so we got that going for us. Which is nice.

Actual progress (not progressive BS) takes time.
>>
>>1805536
Its already been done in a small country where they started in the 1960s. Got it.
>>
>>1805446
You have failed to think critically in favor of dogma
>>1805491
The question is framed from an American point of view. Most of the world is poor
>>
>>1805427
The US is a sick society. Their opinions and behaviours reflect this.
>>
>>1806459
wrong. You're a meme educated Euro. Muh degeneracy didn't exist in the 50's and people still didn't want bikes
>>
File: 1654168525727.jpg (589 KB, 1400x754)
589 KB
589 KB JPG
>>1806464
>Degeneracy didn't exist in the 50's
You were comped right from the start.
>>
>>1796176

People buy big nigga cars because they share the road with bigger vehicles. If there was only lightweight vehicles on the road, it would work fine. You have to separate them, like with cycle paths separating cyclists from regular traffic..
>>
>>1806459

Anywhere that is gridlocked with cars all the time is a sick place.
>>
>>1806844
liberty equality and fraternity eh ?
>>
>>1808298
Yeah bro, why do you think the f*ench helped you in the revolution and gave you that statue? Do you have a point?
>>
The time has come now with high gas prices to push the velo meme.
>>
>>1804367
>Mixed use paths
This is only viable if dogs aren't allowed on them and both pedestrians and cyclists get fined for using the wrong side of the path, assuming dividing lines are actually painted on (they should be).
Fuck dogs. They are stupid enough to run out in front of my front wheel and the owners are stupid enough to blame me for the near-miss.
t. Commute using mixed use path (albeit without dividing lines) in rural bongland

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.