[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 149 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 2019-Recon-2.jpg (831 KB, 1200x900)
831 KB
831 KB JPG
What is the reasoning for using an electric bike? Why not just use a motorcycle or a real bike?
>>
I don't think you realize how broad your question is considering the regulatory status of bicycles, e-bikes and motorcycles in different parts of the world and even in different countries or US states.
>>
>>1794837
>motorcycle
too expensive, loud, dangerous and require insurance, registration and a license
>real bike
too slow and require too much physical effort
>>
>>1794837
>What is the reasoning for using an electric bike?

Great as loaner bikes
Great for base miles, injury recovery, and zone 2 days
Decent as commuters
Can't take a motorcycle on bike paths
>>
>>1794837
Delivery drivers ride them so they can disregard pedestrian and motorized traffic rules.
>>
>>1794837
>motorcycle performance without taxes and registration
seems obvious
>>
>>1794887
>motorcycle performance without taxes and registration
only in the third world, civilized countries already made a decision at what point e-bikes still counted as bicycles and at what point they already counted as motorcycles
>>
>>1794837
Stupid boomer laws.
>>
>>1794890
>only in the third world
no only in your over policed nanny state
>>
>>1794851
Correct, where traffic is bad they just zoom past you in the bike lane. Can park them anywhere too. Smart
>>
>>1794844
Ebikes above a certain threshold should be regulated like mopeds and motorcycles. They show the same injury pattern in crashes as motorcycles.
That would also mean same gear requirement
>>
>>1796898
why are people so anti fun? Why does everyone need to government to hold their hands?
>>
>>1796898
>Ebikes above a certain threshold should be regulated like mopeds and motorcycles.

They are.

>>1796898
>They show the same injury pattern in crashes as motorcycles.

No they don't.
>>
>>1794837
no sweat below 5 miles
>>
>>1796902
Because people are stupid and -if not regulated- will ruin things for everybody else.
>>
File: south-park-biker.gif (3.41 MB, 640x360)
3.41 MB
3.41 MB GIF
>>1794837
Can't wait for all motorcycles to be electric. Why do these people always need to make their bike loud as fuck
>>
>>1796902
let's see how fun you think it is when some shitskin runs your grandma over
>>
>>1796898
500-1000watt power limit is already in place
>>
>>1796996
Loud pipes save lives.

Had a cheap 80s Honda V twin for a while. Got ran off the road twice. One time I pulled up next to a wagon on its right side where there were 2 lanes turning left. The guy looked directly at me at the light then proceeded to forget I was there and drifted over into my lane while making the turn, forcing me off the road and onto the shoulder. So I catch up to the guy and said why did you run me off the road? He apologized and said he forgot I was there. True story.
>>
>>1797017
Fuck off. Then buy some speaker that makes noise when you go over a certain speed as electric cars do.
You really don't need to brapbrapbrap in a residential area all day.

Or just don't drive a literal deathtrap you know people are idiots in big heavy cages who don't give a shit all around you at high speeds.
>>
>>1796898
They are, the only ones that aren't are "electric assist" bikes which are ones where the motor only runs while you pedal and only boosts you to levels that would be achievable from pedaling. Basically think of them as a magic boost to your fitness.
>>
>>1796952
>>1797008
you can police reckless operation of a vehicle without meaninglessly regulating it's performance. Maybe pedal bikes should have an automatic break that stops you from going more than 25mph as well?
>>
>>1797017
noise and high viz do nothing. Ride like you're invisible
>>
>>1794837
No insurance or tags.
>>
>>1794837
Doing stupid shit at high speeds without the additional licensing a motorcycle requires.

>>1796996
>Can't wait for all motorcycles to be electric.
Not going to happen unless energy density for batteries sees a massive increase. Motorcycles can't get away with adding significantly more weight in batteries like cars can. I can see smaller bikes just used for getting around town going to electric, but once you want to go faster than that you're going to get hit by range issues much harder than an electric car.
>>
Thanks for reminding me these things exists.
I dont have a license so when i start working i just get one of these
>>
>>1794887 This. 50cc scooter without any legal bullshit. But still cant beat the EUC. Same speed, better portability, maneuverability in crowded areas and even less legal bullshit.
>>
It's quieter and makes less exhaust fumes than a real bike, and recharging is really not that difficult to plan. Absolutely unable to tour, however.
I'm on my second electric motorcycle and planning to convert a pedal bike to electric for fun, ama.
>>
>>1794837
>What is the reasoning for using an electric bike?
You are handicapped
you are fat
you are a woman and want to keep up with your husband.
>>
>>1797856
Are you going with a hub motor or mid drive for your conversation?
>>
File: chickenball.jpg (203 KB, 1920x1080)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
>>1794837
fuel is free when you dont pay for it
>>
>>1797904
Mid drive, but i would not turn nose from a hub motor
>>
>>1797921
In general, I have a few diy electric adventures mapped out ahead, and eventually I want to try a hub motor.
It feels like the whole electric twist&go two wheeler format is ready to blow up and create a whole bunch of new bike riders and it's underrated on this site, neither /o/ nor /n/ really delve into it that much.
Gas prices always push people into weird transportation modes and this wave is especially harsh and lithium battery technology is ripe for it.
>>
>>1797910
>what is food
>>
>>1797105
Out of stuff you don't need to have loicense, registration and insurance peasant taxes, electric bikes are probably the best way to get around. Like, why wouldn't you want a motor.
>>
>>1794837
faggots are too lazy to ride a real bike and fuel is expensive
>>
>>1798402
>t. I can't afford one so I'm going to insult people that are having fun
>>
>>1798402
What's a real bike? A motorcycle or a bicycle? Because I have both... well, had, I turned my bicycle into an ebike.

If you are actually comparing a motorcycle to an ebike, I bet you drive some pussy-ass 125cc bitchbike, because no one in their right mind would compare ebikes and motorcycles.
>>
>>1794837
You're an idiot
>>
>>1794837
>Why not just use a motorcycle?
I'm poor and I don't wanna have to pay to get an endorsement or pay for insurance
>Why not just use a real bike?
Because my commute to school ends with a 300 vertical foot climb up a giant fucking hill and I need to climb it as fast as a car.
>>
>>1798574
>no one in their right mind would compare ebikes and motorcycles
There is definitely some trash in lower tiers that is close enough to ebikes to be obsoleted by them, like 50cc scooters. I'd even question the merits of getting a loicense just to ride a honda navi, when ebike can do just as well in a city and even lawlessly sneak onto bicycle paths despite having a motor.
Real bike would be something capable of highway travel, imo.
>>
You can also go the hegelian route and cop a motorcycle in the bicycle form factor

I'd have copped a sur ron myself by now if they weren't so damn expensive
>>
>>1798912
Then you have to get a motorcycle endorsement. The real smart thing to do is to convert a 50cc scooter to electric.
>>
>>1798785
>lawlessly sneak onto bicycle paths despite having a motor
Faggot chavs with dirtbikes already do this in my city.
>>
>>1797827
>EUC
Motor controller dies/glitches and you fall every single time. Motor controller poops itself on a ebike and instead you are now just on a slow and heavy bicycle.
>>
>>1799135
That's why you wear gear. Stop being a massive pussy
>>
>>1796952
Fuck off you limp wristed piece of shit. The definition of ruining something is to enforce regulations. How tf else would it be ruined?
Where does your faith in your government's competence come from? You're asking geriatric boomers to write laws for things they barely understand. Cars are full of regulations and yet there are still retard drivers on the road in every nation across the world
>>
>>1799173
>Stop being a massive puss-ACK!
Yeah nah, Imma let you guys beta-test this chink-shit for me. It's going to be a few years before I trust EUCs.
>>
unless you live somehwere flat, pedaling uphill is miserable
>>
>>1799200
lol I ride one everyday. Only buy trusted wheels that have had all their issues fixed. It's really not that hard
>>
>>1796898
>Ebikes above a certain threshold should be regulated like mopeds and motorcycles
They are.

Cities limit e-bikes to ~750watt or so. Thats enough to go most places within the city just fine.
>>
>>1794837
fuck hills
>>
>>1796898
kys
>>
>>1800138
So going on a bike trip in the Swiss alps is fine as long as I live in Holland?
>>
>>1800139
Good for you
>>
>>1794837
>motorcycle
You have to drive where cars drive then, that's biggest difference for me since I'm in big city.
>>
While e-bikes do have regulations how is the popo supposed to know if you're crossing them? Think you're going to pull out a multimeter and Dynamo?
>>
>>1802053
They don't it's not an enforceable law
>>
It's basically for people who are too pussy too ride a real motorcycle and too weak to ride a bicycle. I cringe everytime I see one.
>>
>>1802327
I have a liter bike and a bicycle. I choose ebike five days a week.
>>
>>1794837
I could see electric mopeds being useful for urban deliveries where it might be much easier to plug in between deliveries than drive way out to wherever the gas station might be.
>>
File: delfast-nlaw.jpg (158 KB, 960x664)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
Apparently Ukies are using e-bikes in the war.

https://electrek.co/2022/05/17/ukraine-soldiers-electric-bikes/
>>
>>1799126
Man I've seen a Harley bagger on a paved bike/walk trail by the river, but loud ICE bikes are noisy, instantly detectable, and people actually mind them being there to the point where someone might call the popo.
Ebike looks like a regular pedal bike and if they go slow enough not to disturb others, they just get ignored. Signs saying "no motor vehicles" just feel less important than letting people be.
>>
>>1802327
if anything you're the one that's too pussy to push a bicycle frame to 60mph
>>
File: 20191017_114113 - Copy.jpg (155 KB, 1198x416)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
I will club e-bike faggots in the head with a baseball bat like a midevil horse soldier and do a fucking wheelie over his dumb stupid ass
>>
>>1802535
you'll do nothing
>>
>>1802549
you will be doing nothing when you are a parapalegic with no toes.
>>
>>1794837
You don't need a reason. People ride these for commute and for liesure. If you can't figure out why, that's on you.
>>
>>1802552
I won't be
>>
>>1800172
you first fatass lol
>>
>>1794837
License and tax mainly.
>>
I use it to commute to work. I don't want to be sweaty in my office attire. I have a non e-bike that I use for exercise and leisure rides.
>>
>>1802725
you're saying things beyond bikies comprehension
>>
mostly for lazy people. today i got passed by a boomer on an e-bike. his wallet chain was hanging out of his jean shorts and swinging an inch away from the spokes. literal mouthbreather.
>>
>>1802791
>i got passed
this is the source of all your hatred
>>
>>1802345
makes sense, they're less noisy than combustion vehicles
>>
>>1802725
wet wipes
>>
faster than bicycle
lighter than motorcycle
>no license plate
>>
>>1794837
They are quiet and easy to charge at home or whatever place with an outlet without having to visit goddamn gas stations. Just from the top of my head. It's not that hard, come on.
>>
>>1800138
Downshift. Any hill climb will be rewarded with a fast descent.
>>
They are more concrete-jungle friendly.

When my low cylindrate commuting motorbike will die, I will replace it with an e-bike.

Also, when electric motorbikes will gain a decent autonomy, I will change the hi-cylindrate one as well.
As I successfully graduated from primary school a few years ago, I do not need a motorbike to produce loud noise to enjoy a ride anymore.
>>
>>1805618
By the time you're done with the hill the e bike rider will be there. This is assuming you're a world class athlete
>>
>>1794837
An e-bike can be ridden on bike paths and require no licensing or insurance and are less expensive and load. You really only need a motorcycle if you are going on the highway. If you just need to get around the city an e-bike is just fine. A normal bike is good but it can be tiring going up hills or trying to use it as a car replacement, especially if you live in a city designed around cars. Ebikes are a cheap alternative to owning a car or motorcycle if you only need to get around town.
>>
>>1797008
I would rather grandma be ran over by a bike instead of a car.
>>
>>1796898
>regulate me please big daddy government
>the freedoms they scare me
>spank me daddy ive been a bad boy
sickening
>>
>>1794837
Great option for city/commute.
>easy parking
>no smoke or sound contamination
>can charge it at home, work, gym or whatever place you're at using a standard plug
>no need to pay for inflated fuel prices (which in my case it's all imported and we have state level 100% renewable energy production, so it's worth trying electric)
>>
File: 69.jpg (30 KB, 600x475)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
bros, recommend me a good ebike. it will be my first one. i will use it primarily for riding the streets, maybe light off-roading.

2 most important features i'm looking for:

1. must be very comfortable. don't want to be hunched over like on a racing bike

2. good range, hopefully 30 miles

I also want to find one that folds up, so I can easily transport it in my car.

My budget goes up to 4k, but ideally i'd like to spend around 2k.

thanks guys
>>
>>1797064
yeah, I have my max set at 20mph since my area has MUPs covering 300sq miles, and I never pedal except hills and starts, but people still pass me going 25mph.
There are no cops on MUPs so you could just do whatever but eventually someone will report you and if they get enough reports they will just put cops on ebikes and it will fuck everything up.
>>
>>1807337
if your budget goes that high just get a super-73-RX.
If you really want folding get a rad-mini or rad expand.
The folding is good for bus / train commuting, I like the non-folding's better,
>>
>>1807821
thanks bro. looking these up right now
>>
>>1807821
Not that anon but I am looking at the zs1 super73 for $1500. How is it in comparison to the rx?
>>
>>1797024
Fag go whine about safety elsewhere and go be a fag elsewhere.
>t. motorcyclist who doesn't give a fuck about pipes
>>
>>1807957
I've only ridden a super 73 but don't own one.
All non-euro eBikes are mopeds since I don't pedal unless I need to conserve battery.

73 RX is full suspension and faster, it's on my list but I don't need it right now.

I have the Rad Runner 1 (basically same as 73 z-1, slightly slower and less range than 73 s-1) and a Rad Mini folding for bus/train commuting in bad weather.
I hooked the Runner up with 3 linked batteries. I get 75 miles range non-pedal at 20mph, 150+ miles pedal range at 15mph.
All told with NECESSARY upgrades (brakes 100% need upgrade, lights 60% need, nice to have: suspension seat post, mirrors, blinkers, rearview cam, 12v convertor, tire armor) and batteries I spent $4k on a $1500 stock bike and use $250 worth of bike tools that I already had and a solid bike lock.
That's for long range setup though, town/20 mile range you only need the stock bike with brakes/lights/lock so minimum investment is $1800-2000. Either one is way cheaper than car + gas + insurance and it's way easier to do maintenance yourself. The mostly stock setup is perfect for most college towns or if 80% of your needs are within 10-15 miles of home.

I took the Runner camping last summer in CO,
>rode first 50 miles on bike paths/roads to a whole foods, spent 3 hours half-recharging / eating / buying food
>rode another 30 miles of canyon roads to an rv campsite, charged overnight,
>spent 7 days fly fishing and camping with 2 more paid rv campsite nights to recharge during the trip
>ride home was a straight shot with mostly a very slight downhill

Some 73 models have better components, but the 73 z/s-1 vs the runner is a style preference. 73 being more dirt bike / sporty and the runner being more of a cruiser. All frames last 30k miles, battery/motor goes 10-15k miles, brake pads/tires/chains need regular maintenance.

73 z/s-1 vs 73 RX is full suspension, 2x range, and speed. Speed only matters on roads and reduces range, requires a license over 20mph.
>>
>>1794899
>When I was in college my summer job paid for tuition
If you're smart/careful you can do it, or at least make your tuition from really high to much more managable
>>
>>1810639
that's the spirit, you'll be just like Bezos some day! any day now!
>>
File: file.png (26 KB, 803x319)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>1810641
Kek I work for Amazon. Besides that, stop coping: you can 100% pay off some of your tuition by taking a summer job if you're smart by taking internships
>>
>>1794837
because people are lazy
>b-but i exercise with an ebike too
then you should be riding 30mph constantly and on the road fag
>>
Dunno i saw the sauron x in Costco the other day it was 6k dollarydoos and smaller than a old xr200 I had and also slower.
Looks cool but fuck running out of power the middle of the bush
>>
>>1794890
Yes but even in police states like bongland it's pretty much unenforceable
>>
>>1797066
>noise and high viz do nothing
i drive a vehicle in traffic and many times have been made aware of an approaching motorcycle due to them revving their engine to make noise
>>
>>1814273
I've seen like 200 videos of oblivious drivers where that didn't matter. I've been on a bike and have been hit by an suv trying to cross the driveway to a gas station because I thought he saw me. I've seen people on their phones while driving. The problem with engine revving is that it removes the ability to speed up as an escape option and puts your safety in the hands of the driver. I'm glad you're a good driver that pays attention but get on one of these vehicles and your perception will change.
>>
>>1814280
>I've been on a bike and have been hit by an suv trying to cross the driveway to a gas station because I thought he saw me.

yup. always assume they can't see you. has saved me more than a handful of times.
>>
>Why not just use a motorcycle or a real bike?
Motorcycle:
- Mandatory registration.
- Expensive insurance.
- Driver's license requirement.
- Can't ride on bike paths.
- Many times the price.
- More annoying to park.

Real bike:
- Can't hoof it up a hill.
>>
>>1802535
>dumb stupid ass
>midevil
>>
>>1794837
Legal reasons, in knockoff Germany (Pennsylvania) electric bikes are exempt from insurance and registration, while even a 50cc motorized bicycle isn't. I would prefer the motorized bicycle because of the better range at full throttle.
>>
>>1815776
Not an American, but we have some pretty weird regulations about this as well. I bought a 1000W, speed-limited ebike, which requires getting road insurance but has no mandatory registration. However, the bike shop told me that if I don't want to get road insurance, I can unscrew the pedals and it transforms from a motorized bicycle to a light electric vehicle, which also has no registration requirement, but also no road insurance requirement. And if you remove the 25 km/h speed governor, it turns to a moped, which requires road insurance and registration.
>>
>>1794837
When I need to pick up auto parts from a store about 5 miles away, much easier to ride there on an ebike and get the parts. Also Fuck $6.50/gal gas. If I have the charge for a round trip, lord knows I’m riding the ebike.
>>
>>1815788
is that law even enforceable?
>>
>>1815788
In Pennsylvania the limit is 750w, and speed limiter is 20mph/32kph for it to be exempt.
>>
>>1815798
Enforceable? Sure. They regularly bust mopeds for going too fast (if a moped goes faster than 45 km/h, it has to be registered as a motorcycle).

Is it actually enforced? Probably not.

Some YouTuber here that showcases his ebikes, was pulled over by the cops and they asked him what he was riding. He explained it and even said that it had 6 kW of power and could do 70 to 80 km/h (in the woods). Nothing happened, even though ebikes cannot do more than 1 kW and can't do more than 25 km/h on electricity. If it exceeds either of those limits, it has to be registered as a moped/motorcycle, and would have to have a number plate on it (which he probably did not have).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUqok5JBavQ
>>
>>1802535
did you post about building that on diy years ago?
>>
>>1799177
what is there to understand
it's a cycle
with a motor
a motor cycle
we currently regulate motorcycles by engine volume but we should just regulate them by power
what's the average power of a 50cc bike? take that, add a bit of a safety margin for high output folks, grandfather in whatever was before and still doesn't fit in new regs and equalise petrol and electric in terms of regulations
>>
Because a motorcycle can not operate once it runs out of power and most of them are overengineered to offer a level of performance most people have no desire or use for. Good riders on cruisers can hang with mediocre riders on sportbikes ffs.

>>1796996
Loud pipes save lives *to an extent* but when I still rode (and gave up after a cop told me "i won't write anything down, but i won't feel sorry for you if someone opens their door on you for cutting in line like a kid" as he aggressively opened his cruisers door) they dont have to be super loud. Just a highway-audible hum for someone next to you works. People can not hear a bike coming from behind them, but they can hear one next to them in their blind spot. A lot of older motorcycles have pipes that are loud enough out of the gate. Euro 4 compliant bikes not so much.
>>
>>1816764
or we could just not
>>
At least here, you can use pedal-assist (which includes mid-drive ebikes) on bike lanes. This means you can get a road bike or hybrid and get a ebike conversion kit that can get you up to car road speeds on bike paths or roads.
>>
>>1794837
License

And you dont need a real bike unless you intend on traveling hundreds of miles. Which is very rare. For daily commutes/shopping <10 mile range, electric bike that goes <30mph is just fine.
>>
>>1799177
>>1816764
I don't have any real position on electric bikes, I don't care. They aren't causing me any grief.
What I don't like is this whole "problem people still appear in places with rules" argument. It's shit.
Look at places with the least rules- Africa, South America. They have the most problem people, don't they? Now look at places with the most rules- they have the least. This isn't surprising. Reasonable rules and regulations work on most people.
There are just a small subset of low-iq people who ignore all the rules. Delayed gratification, cost-benefit analysis and all that.
>>
>>1816790

the gag is that is that it takes actual cyclist fitness and a lifetime of bike handling skills to comfortably ride a bike at those speeds. You'll never see someone riding an ebike at 50kph that couldn't ride a normal bike faster, at least not for long.
>>
>>1818563
that's ridiculous. I ride an euc at those speeds comfortable after like 250 miles.
>>
File: gils.gif (2.24 MB, 640x640)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB GIF
>>1818565
>>
>>1815814
That's the nice thing about e anything. They're so quiet and in-offensive, they retain a lot of freedoms that petrol has lost over the years.
>>
>>1794837
>regulations won't let you have a motorbike in the city
>it is faster and less exausting than an actual bike
>you have expendable income
There's a reason for them being so popular at NY and Cali. It really makes no sense outside some heavily regulated metro area.
>>
steve wallis made a e bike lol
too bad its a walmart bike he used. looks good otherwise
>>
>>1819041
shit forgot the link
https://youtu.be/_QJbgUxNnRg
>>
>>1810639
> If you're smart/careful you can do it
No, you can’t. I say this as a nurse working summers to (mostly) pay for RN school. If working summers only pays for 3/4 of my schooling at a community college, how in the hell do you expect somebody fresh out of highschool to get it done flipping burgers or laying shingles?

It boggles my mind how boomers who are more glued to their smartphones than my generation somehow think nothing else in the world has changed since 1978.
>>
>>1816764
Or, and I think most other people prefer this idea, we leave it the fuck alone and stop asking the government to regulate our lives even more.

People like you are the reason we can’t have Kinder eggs in the US.
>>
>>1794837
Not nearly as much stupid beaurocracy and regulations of licenses and having to be on the road. They're also lighter and smaller than motorbikes so so much more practicle.
>>
>>1797017
Your whole little story didn’t justify at all why bikes should be loud.
>>
>zero fuel costs
>Zero license required
>Zero insurance required
>Can ride trails where motorcycles can't
>Can leave the road at any time and use sidewalk when needed
>Can easily pass any normalfag on a regular bike
>Normalfags seethe when I pass them without even pedalling

Driving a legal ebike in Canada I'm basically untouchable by everyone and I get to see the best trails, parks, areas without needing to share the road with cars etc
>>
>>1820774
>zero fuel costs
do you plug it into one of your neighbors outlets or something? sure, electricity is cheaper than gas, but it's being produced by burning coal somewhere so it's not zero cost.
>>
>>1820782
In my country the power company doesn't actually bill you for the power you use. They bill you for "estimated monthly usage" which is based on the history of power consumption at your address.
So unless you're doing something like Bitcoin mining, or charging an entire rental fleet of ebikes, the cost to charge for personal use is literally nothing.
>>
>>1816782
So why didn't you just stop cutting in line like a kid?
>>
>>1820782
It's so cheap that it might as well be free. I think my most expensive ebike charge has been like 0.05€.
>>
>>1820782
10-20 cents for a full charge. Depending on your monthly mileage could be less than $1/month so basically nothing. Also creates less emissions the an equivalent gas bike even if it's the shittiest coal plant.
>>
>>1807337
I have the Super 73 S1. The stock seat is comfortable. More of an upright seating posture. I'm 6'3" and it feels perfect. I like the look of it.
>>
File: 59c.png (123 KB, 595x397)
123 KB
123 KB PNG
>>1818433
There are rules, even enforcement, however the places you're talking about have a completely different problem, it's not that there isn't enforcement, it's not that there isn't rules, it's that the whole continent is a habitat for blacks, who are prone to corruption and disregard for logic, morals and ethics. Blacks have complete disregard for the safety of themselves and others, whereas whites have little to no regard for the safety of themselves, but generally are more aware of others, due to being social creatures for the most part.

I do not understand what hardon some people seem to have for rules and regulation, anyone right of the bell-curve should have enough self-government to understand what they should and should not do.
>>
>>1796898
I can't believe we have to share the world with faggots like you. jfc pls die
>>
>>1794837
When I bought my ebike I had no other form of transportation. I have had it for a few months now, and I am going to upgrade to a motorcycle. Although, I originally wasn't ready for a motorcycle and even still I plan on getting a honda trail 125. If I could go back, yeah id probably save my money, but I didn't even know if I would ride the ebike as much as I do. Why not a real bike? I live near a bunch of hills and it would be a real bitch to ride up them without any pedal assist.
>>
>>1823208
>I live near a bunch of hills and it would be a real bitch to ride up them because I'm a weak fat bitch
ftfy
>>
>>1823209
>fat
I weight 140 kek
>>
>>1823216
Kg
>>
>>1823264
Based fatdestroyer
>>
>>1794844
A motorcycle is cheaper than a decent electric bike
>>
>>1805806
if your'se serious you should watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKw0uxtnr2I
yeah it's still better to get hit by a human cannonball but it's still dangerous as hell
>>
>>1823273
not in the long run
>>
>>1796898
>Same injury pattern
In what world? What fucking statistic do you have you fucking moron.
>>
>>1794899
>$200 smartphones
In what universe?
Phones are "free" with a $1000 debt "plan" that does not go down in price after you pay the debt instead they offer you the newest "free" phone and another new $1000 debt "plan" with the option to keep your old phone and pay the same bills
But they also give you a software update which literally slows down your old phone and limits the battery, incentivising you to get a new one
>>
>>1820774
how do you like that nitro? Ive been looking at it for a while now. are you short?
>>
>>1827583
sounds like you live in a shithole pal, I buy unlocked 100 dollar smart phones and cheap separate sims all day
>>
>>1823273
lolno. the license and insurance alone cost more than any ebike.
>>
>>1823273
you won't have as much fun on road restricted motorcycle than you would a good Enduro ebike and all the liberties of being about as restricted as a normal bicycle, which means near complete freedom as long as you're not an obnoxious idiot.
>>
File: surron.png (343 KB, 800x800)
343 KB
343 KB PNG
i really want to get a picrel but dont know how it can fit in on and off road, like if i put a pedal kit on it can i fit in with actual e-bikes or is it purely an offroad toy?
>>
>>1820774
>riding trails on a swing-axle ,step through frame
you're gonna have a taco, it's only a matter of time
>>
>>1828583
https://youtu.be/D9ZNwRw-a3A?t=1372
long story short these Sur Ron guys got stopped by the cops and told to fuck off. The guy on a custom stealth bomber clone with bike pedals was told that they would have let him continue because it's a bicycle. The cops have no way to prove that you're not a class 3 or whatever legal ebike so pedals make all the difference.
>>
>>1828298
It really depends where you live, over here licensing is pretty much only $20 for the written test to get the permit and that cost includes the riding test. A motorcycle safety course is not necessary for licensing here. Insurance is significantly cheaper than a car here, to insure my motorcycle when I was around 25 was only like $120 for half a year. The only problem is it's like winter for half a year here so you only get a few months of good riding weather before it's either too cold or too rainy to ride.
>>
File: 1657709977739.jpg (122 KB, 1024x831)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>1820774
Based fellow leaf. I drive one of these and the butthurt from cagies and bikies has never been higher and there is nothing they can do about it!
>>
>>1829048
The big kids are just jealous.
>>
>>1829007
That's like $1500 over 3 years for gas and insurance.For around $4k if you want a city commuter to go to work and do other errands an overpowered ebike makes more sense
>>
>>1829007
Similar;
I got a moped endorsement on my license for free, but $25 to re-issue my ID card. $54 bi-annual insurance payments, but i'm not leagally required to have insurance. The first insurance company I got a quote from said I would NEED a second vehicle on the plan to get coverage on a moped.
Its cost me an estimated $1077 over the past 4 years
>>
>>1810645
Of course you can pay some tuition by working over the summer, but the boomer refrain is that they paid it all just by summer jobs/part-time work. This is simply impossible with current wages, cost of living, and tuition.

I avoided student loans by working full-time through school. I generally preferred this because I got useful work experience at a decent job. It would be unreasonable to expect that everyone else should do what I did. For some degrees this would be impossible.
>>
>>1794837
To avoid being sweaty on daily commutes. People who get "e-bikes" like in OP are massive faggots, though.
>>
>>1807337
The Tern Vektron is $3,700 and does everything you want very well. You might be able to find one used locally if you want something a bit cheaper. They do hold their value. I've seen them used for $1,000k off, but they're rare.

If the Tern is too big, Brompton has an e-bike but I've heard it has some issues.
>>
Plug in battery at work. Boss man pays for my ride op
>>
>>1796902
Because other people's safety is involved.
>>
I live in sunny Emilia-Romagna also known as bike or die, where everything seems to force you to get a fucking bike or walk, but even walking is a less than optimal option here, so back to a bike you go.
So, if you get an electric bike, you only have to pay to recharge it at home, no insurance, no bullshit, no license, no nothing.
Way better than an electric scooter on every aspect despite costing almost the same (a good electric bike is 1k here).
Usually they are limited to 25km/h, but you can modify them and go up to 50km/h or more.
Sure it will not take long before the laws will crash down on e-bikes and you'll need an insurance and you will get ticketed too, but for now it's paradise.
E-bikes are simply very convenient compared to getting a moped, a scooter or a motorcycle even.
Plus they're good for the environment, so maybe and I mean maybe, they will close an eye on regulating them.
In the US I doubt you'd do much with an e-bike though since everything is quite distant and not dense population wise.
So imho:

>convenient and fun in europe
>quite useless in the usa unless you modify it and put quad-battery on it

I wonder what the cops think when they see a bycicle going at 50-75km/h though, 80km/h even, kek...their faces must be priceless
>>
>>1830903
then stay inside
>>
>>1830918
>In the US I doubt you'd do much with an e-bike though since everything is quite distant and not dense population wise.
it would be fine for most places here. Cops don't even care if you're doing 50mph on one
>>
>>1830918
>Sure it will not take long before the laws will crash down on e-bikes and you'll need an insurance and you will get ticketed too, but for now it's paradise.
We actually have mandatory insurance for motorized bicycles here, which covers all e-bikes between 250W and 1000W. 250W and under are still insurance-free.

I'm currently paying about 86 €/year for liability insurance and abou 81 €/year on top of that for extended coverage (theft, fire, vandalism, etc). Not that bad when considering that my car insurance was like 800 €/year and I can do 500 km on my ebike for like 1-2 € worth of electricity.
>>
>>1831020
How do they know the wattage of your bike?
>>
>>1831020
I will never pay insurance or taxes on my +1000w ebike, fuck you retard. You're paying the same and more in insurance for your ebike than I am for either of my motorcycles (1000cc, 1400cc, 110€, 99€). I would never allow me or my wallet to be jewed like you have, retard.

Fucking idiot.
>>
>>1831057
They don't. It's not like you have to register it. But if you have an accident and they find out that you were riding on a 1000W bike without insurance, they'll immediately slap you with a fine that's like four times the cost of insuring the bike for a year.

>>1831127
86 €/year isn't that much, and the 81 €/year on top of that isn't that much for theft insurance considering that the bike costs like 3500€ and is more likely to be stolen than any car or motorcycle.

Also, are those 110€ and 99€ for the whole year or just the season when you ride it?
>>
>>1831151
ok what happens if you get a 12kw motor and put a 1000w sticker on it?
>>
>>1831159
250W sticker and it is license-free. Just make sure to configure choke speed right so when polis stops u it goes 25 km/h.
>>
>>1831172
>Police stopping you for using a bike
What kind of shit hole do you live in?
>>
>>1831151
Whole year. I refuse to insure bicycles out of principle. I also live in my own house with my own lot, so theft is not a concern.
>>
>>1831256
>I also live in my own house with my own lot, so theft is not a concern.
I guess you don't go by bicycle to anywhere.
>>
>>1831159
Who knows? Might get caught, might not. It's not like there's any regular inspections. Mostly if you're in an accident or someone decides to report you.
>>
File: 871428f409077455.jpg (14 KB, 240x240)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>1831264
I do. Two locks, but I don't leave my bike out for long, I don't want to have to shank a junkie. Most bike thefts here happen by breaking into apartment bike storages.
>>
>>1831232
euros will seethe when they see a bicycles going 70kph
>>
>>1831339
Particularly if you're doing it on the bike paths.
>>
File: 1646297069777.png (21 KB, 159x159)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>1829117
Yes
>>
>>1814195

Police allow homeless people to enforce e bike rules for them.

Retard buys expensive bike -> crack head with a cordless angle grinder steals it -> they joy ride it until it runs out of batteries and then dump it in the river -> tragically, the case is never solved -> retard buys expensive bike
>>
File: blu phone.png (511 KB, 1216x690)
511 KB
511 KB PNG
>>1827583
come join us fren
I have the previous model of this phone and it cost $180 when I bought it. Best phone I ever had. Comes with a preinstalled screen protector, comes with those thicker plastic screen protectors, earbuds, and a thick rubber case.
>>
File: blue g90.png (495 KB, 1204x722)
495 KB
495 KB PNG
>>1827583
This is the exact phone I got. It went down in price
>>
>>1805125
the batteries can propably be repurposed into IEDs
>>
>>1794837
>Motorcycle
Requires the gas jew
Requires following (((rules of the road)))
Too loud
Too much effort to maintain
Too expensive
>Real bike
Because sometimes I want to go a long distance without sweating my ass off. And because going uphill sucks.
>>
>>1794837
Lazyness and eco virtue-signalling
>>
>>1805125
eBikes sounds like a hive of bees
bzzzzzzz
but yeah it's more quiet compared to a motorbike
>>
>>1796898
We need to undo a lot of the safety culture in the US and elsewhere.
>>
>>1807821
> hub motor
gross.
>>
>>1794837
I think you don’t need a motorcycle license for a e bike. Lovely loophole if true.
>>
>>1794899
Honestly if you work from the earliest age save a lot and take as much college and gov gibs as possible (fasfa, scholarships and such) you can probably do it or at least most of it
>>
>>1841166
>he likes mid drive motors
speak about being a fag
>>
>>1794837
I'm a burger living in Switzerland. Have been coming here off and on for a little over a decade before moving here permanently. Going from a country where bikes are more for recreation and automobiles are required to cover very large distances to a country where bikes are everywhere and used for everything I have watched first hand the rise of e-assist bikes. Things to consider as to usage/ownership:
>Geopolitical differences and influence
>Country/Kanton/State law differences
>Infrastructure/bike lanes/bike paths (city centers purposefully designed for foot and bike traffic preference)
>Costs (Car vs motorcycle vs ebike vs bike)
>Convenience
>Maintenance, insurances, licensing
>Ease of use (older people unable to ride their old trusted bikes, have a new lease on getting outside, or anyone with injuries can ride a bike again)

In Europoor, auto ownership is very expensive (on purpose). The next latest and greatest was owning a motorcycle, yet licensing is very restrictive, costly and very time consuming...so some people settle on a moped. However, there are people in that demographic who no longer want to deal with licensing, fuel, higher maintenance costs, resale value so they jump into ebikes. There was a time where ebikes were definitely a meme and prices were outstanding. While there are off-brand Aldi/Lidl deals out there that ship sailed a long time ago. Now, today, people will spend upwards of $10-15,000 for a boutique e-bike for the CONVENIENCE of not "needing" to drive a car around a city center. Anything with a Bosch motor you're already starting off around $3,000 for the price of entry.
>>
>>1841252
Not the guy you replied to, but mid drives are much better at pretty much everything. They weigh less too and dont look clunky and ridiculous.

You have to buy a hub motor with internal gearing if you want to get close to the efficiency and versatility of a mid drive. And dont get me started on the loss of agility with all that unspring weight in the center of your rear wheel.
>>
>>1841166
>>1841252
I just pulled a scrapped e-bike out of a dumpster with a hub motor. Battery, computer and hub are all good to go. I am thinking about installing it onto my mid-drive bike to have two motors. Both motors work in unison to 25 km/h. Mid-drive cuts off at 25 km/h but the hub motor is deregulated due to being a mountain bike, so then I rely on the hub motor exclusively above 25 km/h. How retarded is this idea?
>>
>>1794844
>too much physical effort
Don't electric bikes weigh like 2-4x as much as your typical Riverside 120 does though?
>>
>>1841341
The weight is more than negated on ebikes. If it wasn't there wouldn't be a point
>>
File: bicycle.gif (157 KB, 464x261)
157 KB
157 KB GIF
>>1794837
Motorcycles are expensive, use gas, have special licensing requirements, and generally seem more dangerous since they travel at high speeds on main roads.
Also part of the reason I like using a bike is that I can pedal. It saves me money when I pedal, and I get exercise at the same time. And by making it an e-bike I only have to pedal as much as I feel comfortable with. The motor can give me a boost when I want to get up to speed or go uphill without getting exhausted. Or just if I get tired and want to rest for a bit.
>>
>>1820799
If its like here tho they will calculate your real usage near the end of the year and either you overpaid (you get money back or a credit with them - your decision) or you underpaid and have to wire them some money
They will re-calculate your expected monthly usage afterwards
>>
>>1820782
It's so little power that it might as well be free.
It's lightweight and you only use the motor sparingly so you get a ton of range for very little cost.
It's not like an electric car where the cost actually matters.
>>
reason
>>
>>1820782
>sure, electricity is cheaper than gas,
Not anymore, lol.
>>
>>1845785
>Not anymore, lol.
who told you that?
Charging an ebike costs like $26/year
>>
>>1797017
>You should all suffer because I say so.
I'm glad you'll never reproduce.
>>
>>1827583
that pic is older than zoomers.
>>
>>1794837
The state says this is a bicycle
>no registration
>no tax
>no license
>>
>>1846470
Yep feels good to be an e-chad. This is how cagers must of felt before the government cucked them with reg fees, license fees, plus tip.
>>
>>1794837
they are the perfect doordash delivery vehicles, even more awesome if you have two batteries
>>
>>1794887
they can hardly go over forty without expensive upgrades
>>
>>1796898
>bigger and more government is better guys!!! 2 weeks to flatten the curve lets do it!!!
>>
>>1798574
>what are pedals
wow that was hard!
>>
>>1802327
>NO FUN ALLOWED GUYS, DO AS I SAY.
>>
>>1819057
i don't have to go to RN school because i was born a real nigga
>>
>>1810645
thats poverty level wage. learn how to crypto poor retard
>>
>>1794837
E-bike don't require license, nor taxes and insurance.
>>
File: fucking boomers.jpg (228 KB, 900x900)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
>>1794899
at least have post the whole thing
>>
Would an electric bicycle make sense for exercise if you live in a place where your only options are either crumbly sidewalk and grass or 45 MPH roads?
>>
>>1849290
yes. You can put as much leg power as you want into it
>>
>>1849290
>Would an electric bicycle make sense for exercise
No
>>
>>1849291
If I can cruise down the road at about 20mph in ideal conditions at max sustained effort, how fast could an e-bike get me?
>>1849292
Why not? Isn't being able to go closer to the speed limit safer?
>>
>>1849294
depends on how much power is in th motor. An unrestricted 1000w middrive can go 35mph by itself
>>
>>1849297
That would be nice. Wouldn't have so many electric car faggots swerving past me inches away from my leg.
>>
File: 1649657560064.png (875 KB, 1653x1023)
875 KB
875 KB PNG
>>1849290
Just get of those >>1829048 monsters and take the whole lane.
>>
How do you guys safely park these? I'm really paranoid about somebody stealing my shit if I park it when I go to work. I've had my seat stolen before after chaining up my bike
>>
>>1849949
You don't use these super high powered bikes to go anywhere they're just toys because they'll be stolen instantly
>>
>>1849958
>>1849949
Are there any electrikes that look like junk no one would want to steal
>>
>>1849968
probably something from ali express. To be fair I don't know precisely what thieves look for. Maybe a bullshiy brand printed on the side wouldn't interest them.
>>
File: 1649059154933.jpg (39 KB, 609x1141)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>1849949
I use one of those along with a thick chain I got from the Home Depot. It's an ebike so you can pretty much carry as heavy of locks as you want.
>>
>>1794844
>too expensive
I just bought a 50hp bike for 1k, insurance is $230 a year. The e bike I built a few years ago was $800 and it's only 1000w

>dangerous
Both are about as dangerous. The e bike did 45mph which is about as fast as you're going on the motorcycle most of the time
>>
>>1794837
Prefer gas i have an e bike as well however
>>
>>1850046
>I just bought a 50hp bike for 1k
sounds like a piece of shit
>>
File: 20220811_110819-min (1).jpg (1.94 MB, 4000x3000)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
>>1850068
It is. It'll be nice after I rebuild it over the winter
>>
>>1849968
>electrikes
>elec >trikes
Nobody is going to ever steal a trike.
>>
>>1797104
>I can see smaller bikes just used for getting around town going to electric
All we need desu
>>
>>1850167
Pretty cool but most people don't want to fix up an old motorcycle
>>1796996
Emoto is shit for everything except city commutes for rich people
>>
When I am riding my real bike, and I see someone riding an ebike, this sheer hatred comes over me. I can't even really explain it, and I'm not sure why I feel this way.
>>
>>1851984
Because your ego is absolutely massive and you can't stand the fact that some fatass can instantly go farther and faster than you
>>
once they start regulating ebikes they'll also extend the regulation to normal bicycle for loicense requirement
ebike fucks will ruin it for all of us
>>
>>1852182
Ebikes are already regulated you fear mongering moron
>>
>>1794844
>too much physical effort
how fat are you?
>>
>>1852960
It's not about being fat it's just really slow
>>
>>1852185
>Yes Mr. Officer, it's absolutely only 1.5kw and limited to 25km/h...
>>
>>1853261
And? The overwhelming majority of ebikes are normie shit that complies with regulations. Children will never need a license to ride a bike
>>
>>1853400
My point is that the rozzers aren't going to pop out a dyno and test your bike on the spot.
>>
>>1794837
That’s a dirt bike
>>
>>1853627
and that's a good thing
>>
>>1853627
Depends on how many reports they have gotten of retards outdriving traffic in tunnels and highways.
>>
>>1841274
you are complicating both systems for the supposed benefit of the hub motor. Just ditch the mid-drive, speed-limited mid-drives are fucking stupid anyhow.
>>
>>1833087
>>1833088
>both listings suspiciously leav e out manufacturer, processor specs or memory size

I'd be tempted for something temporary but I want my phone to last me 5-7 years like my last phone.
>>
>>1853400
>The overwhelming majority of ebikes are normie shit that complies with regulations
you literally need less money to build your own speed-limit-free ebike with a 3kw motor than a 300w pre-built ebike with any fancy trimmings

and a third of that cost is the battery with you can also save a fuckton on if you're smart or have a few specialty tools to repair/make batteries.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.