[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 40 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

In our densest cities, we could just put in an entire bus lane. But in Sunbelt cities we could add these with basically no disruption to traffic because the streets have so many lanes. It would increase ridership and reduce travel times.
>>
>>1794359
if streets have so many lanes, why can't one of them be converted to a bus lane?
>>
I love dining next to a bus stop, the diesel exhaust fumes are better than any topping!
>>
>>1794365
In Sunbelt cities a bus lane would be a political non-starter. However a bus bulb would be basically unnoticed, while improving transit.

>>1794374
Fumes are a problem with all ICE cars sadly. Thankfully many cities are only buying non-ICE buses from now on.
>>
On-street parking is a mistake.
>>
>>1794359
Why would the bus need to rapidly brake and accelerate? It has the right of way right? Makes no sense. The bulb option stops traffic completely while the other let's cars pass.
As a passenger waiting with a distance from traffic is also nicer.

>>1794377
There would still be ICE cars and whatnot.
>>
>>1794387
The bus bulb eliminates the need for the bus to pull over and re-enter traffic, which drastically increases transit travel times.
Also, sunbelt streets have so many lanes there's plenty of space for cars to just go around.

That's obvious but you seem mentally challenged.
>>
>>1794389
How is pulling over any issue? It takes zero effort and cars stop when the bus pulls out because the driver turns on the blinker when the doors are still closing.
>>
>>1794391
>cars stop for the bus
in what world do you live lmao
>>
>>1794392
Switzerland.
>>
>millions of dollars and reshaping of roads
>so the bus doesn’t have to turn a little tiny bit

Retarded.
>>
>>1794392
Most of EU actually
>>
>>1794392
the first one
>>
>>1794377
>In Sunbelt cities a bus lane would be a political non-starter.
why? why would people be against a bus lane, especially if there's already more than enough lanes?
>>
>>1794391
Bus has to wait for cars to let him into traffic, which adds time to every trip.

Duh. You really are mentally challenged.
>>
>>1794365
It's easy really, it would be a tempting empty lane that a bus graces with it's presence once every 30 minutes.
>>
>>1794392
I live in Utah, buses spend no time whatsoever pulling over, cars always let them back in quickly.
However, they spend an absolute eternal amount of time kneeling down and up when there's a fatty on a wheelchair, or when there are passengers moving in general.
>>
>>1794422
and what's the problem?
>>
>>1794397
>millions of dollars are peanuts when it serves cars
>millions of dollars will bankrupt us when it serves any other traffic participant
>>
>>1794425
>and what's the problem?
No efficient.
>>
>>1794392
works in australia
>>
>>1794359
I read an article, "bulbs" are not recommended when the traffic is 1500 cars/h. Roads wide enough to have parking spaces, a bus lane and a single car lane are not common in the narrow cities of Europe, so yeah, you can try to build them somewhere else but not in a lot of places in Europe.
>>
>>1794420
Because there aren't more than enough lanes
>>
>>1794359
>increase ridership
all you need for that is more homeless people
>>
>>1794425
Well, naturally cars will use it, that's the problem
>>
Do Americans not have bus/taxi lanes?
>>
>>1794374
LMAO what a faggot.. don't eat at all if you don't like diesel.
>>
>>1794359
>we could add these with basically no disruption to traffic because the streets have so many lanes
Why are Euros, third-worlders, et. al. so obsessed with number of lanes? Is the idea that more than two cars going in the same direction can pass each other in separate lanes really that offensive to them?
>>
dumb grad school thesis
>>
>>1794807
The sad thing is that the benefits of this are easily disproven. Wasting time on a bad idea is stupid. The bus bulb bro should never get his or her degree. Would love to see the softballs this person got at their thesis defense. Embarrassing. It's no wonder roads suck. Our traffic engineers are baby brain retards.
>>
>>1794439
That's why the OP specifically says to do it in Sunbelt cities, which are basically the opposite of European cities. They have super wide roads and tons of onstreet parking.
>>
>>1794799
No but crossing 6 to 8 lanes to get to the other side is. You either have to hurry, get stuck in the middle or the cars pile up bad while waiting too long. Really not comfortable, expecially for old people and those with little chidren.
>>
This problem is already solved.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (5 KB, 240x210)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>1794865
shut up and get in the tube
>>
What about people in wheelchairs?
>>
>>1794893
The bus is as accessible from the bulb as it is from the sidewalk
>>
>>1794843
I've seen plenty of crosswalks where 6-8 lanes can be crossed in good time. Most of the arguments can be simplified to actual traffic flow numbers vs. the plights of imaginary people, or worst, using misrepresented data to "prove" their point, like measuring traffic flow assuming that buses that were full all the time.

One of the "articles" I read many years ago on this not only outright lied about how wide lanes "should" be but then included nonsense rhetoric like "pedestrian massacre".
>>
>>1794387
>It has the right of way right? Makes no sense. The bulb option stops traffic completely while the other let's cars pass.
I can't speak to OP's sunbelt cities but in NYC for example: first off the "standard design" of the stop is already not realistically large enough for a bus to pull in 100% and then leave. Then, we cannot encroach on parking near the bus stop, so you have cars parked mere inches from the front of the bus stop (or in it, illegally). So what does the bus do? It doesn't pull all the way in, it blocks the travel lane cause it literally can't fit. In my experience this is the NORM, not the exception. Bus bulb seems better since the lane is literally already going to be blocked, but at least it means you can a) load the bus faster, and b) speeds up the bus transit time.
>>
>>1795271
>I've seen plenty of crosswalks where 6-8 lanes can be crossed in good time
Depending on the city, a common ped speed assumption is 3 feet per second. 8 lanes at 12 ft/lane, 96 feet, so your flashing don't walk time is an insane 32 seconds, not at all good time though can be shortened if the parking lanes are smaller or you use sidewalk extensions/bulb outs. Remember that engineers need to adhere to stuff like ADA and "average case" and can't assume everyone crossing the super boulevard is going to run across it and only need half the time.
>>
>>1795310
>et, so your flashing don't walk time is an insane 32 seconds
That's fine because most phases of traffic lights on large thoroughfares are at least that long
>>
>>1794431
Easy solution, have more buses. That might also reduce the number of cars on the road.

>>1794544
We have plenty of bus lanes in the UK and cars don't use them because they get fined.
>>
>>1794359
>bus stops that aren't separated from the flow of traffic
Shittiest fucking things possible, any reasonably busy road ends up being massively disrupted each time the bus stops.

My observations are purely anecdotal and based on what I see in my own Australian city but I'd wager that any positive effects of buses on road congestion (each passenger equalling a car that isn't on the road) is heavily nullified by the effect of turning two lanes into one lane every several hundred metres for a minute or two at a time.

Non pull-out/turn-out bus stops on busy roads should be verboten. They're fine on quieter intrasuburban streets though.
>>
>>1794558
We do in the major cities, and the major cities are currently building more.
>>
>>1795502
But you’d have more people riding the bus if it were faster, which would smooth traffic even more.
When you have the “cars take priority over EVERYTHING” mentality you fail to solve traffic for car drivers.
>>
>>1795516
The bus bulb doesn't make the bus any faster, this is an utter fallacy.
>>
>>1794359
>But in Sunbelt cities
In sunbelt cities no one rides the bus unless they're flat-out broke or have no drivers license. No one wants to stand outside in the heat and humidity waiting for a bus. Same for bikes, it's too damn hot and you look like a faggot riding a bike as an adult.
More white liberal guilt bullshit. Wanna help minorities? Shut the fuck up and stop "trying to help". We're not down with your gay bullshit.
>>
>>1794359
this thread is shit and OP is a faggot
>>
>>1795518
So fast when cars don't let the bus back out resulting in a gridlock traffic accident hell yeah
>>
>>1795553
If the traffic is sufficiently busy enough that the bus is entirely unable to enter back into the stream of traffic then a bus isn't the answer to your traffic problems. You need to start looking at something heavier duty and entirely separate from the road, such as an obahn or light/heavy rail.
>>
>>1794865
>bus looks about half a century old
>tube has automatic doors
>but only in some points, because it would have gotten too expensive

I mean, i like it but it seems like a VERY convoluted answer to a simple problem.
Also, is that thing that gets cut off at the bottom there, so you can get wheelchairs up?
>>
>>1795553
This literally never happens, stop making up imaginary scenarios. You're wrong about bulb stops being better in any meaningfull way, end of the story.
>>
>>1794365
>so many lanes... convert one to a bus lane
People (car drivers & cyclists) can't resist the temptation of an 'empty lane', even if it's signed, painted red, etc.
Half the time, car drivers can't resist the 'free parking spot' that is a bus stop. I see people doing this every day.

>>1794374
>I love dining next to a ROAD, ALL exhaust fumes are better than any topping!
ftfy
>>
>>1795557
Yeah, you can always get back into traffic, even if you have to nose your way out there. I was a city bus driver for a very busy (millions of riders a year) system for almost a decade. The drivers who can't deal with fighting traffic don't last long.
>>
>>1794359
>In our densest cities, we could just put in an entire bus lane.

Swear go GOD, I thought this was the dumbest idea ever. Now we have to main avenues with this, and it rocks. It makes the bus move, hence traffic much faster.
>>
>>1794421
>Bus has to wait for cars to let him into traffic, which adds time to every trip.

Safety and speed. Everyone wins.
>>
>>1794359
>Some reckless driver plows doesn't see the bus bulb and drives right over it, injuring the people waiting for a bus
>Careless driver ends up parking on the bus bulb
>Bus sustains damage from continually scraping against the bus bulb
>Having the bus stop in the middle of a lane instead of in the parking lane leads to cars rear ending the bus
Not worth it for the slight bit of convenience.
>>
>>1794359
who says they have to rapidly brake and accelerate for each stop though? couldnt they gradually slow down and turn towards the curb?
>>1799288
most cities have bylaws giving busses right of way
>>
>>1799521
>accommodating idiot driver behavior comes 1st, so we can't have good things

>>1800090
>most cities have bylaws giving busses right of way
And all drivers obey those laws, without fail... right? Oh
I guess it doesn't matter, because any infraction is immediately and judiciously policed... right? Oh
>>
>>1800093
it doesnt matter if other drivers dont obey it, in my city the bus operators will swing out without giving much of a fuck
>if you cause an accident then they get the rest of the day off with pay and the cops will charge you with failing to yield
>>
>>1798268
Agreed but next to a bus stop is even worse because of buses constantly accelerating from zero to traffic speed.
>>
>>1800097
That's a race to the bottom.
"Car drivers behave badly, so we need our bus drivers to be *even worse*."
And your fantasy about "having the day off" is just that. The bus driver would be subject to internal review for any kind of wreck, regardless of fault.
>>
>>1800137
whatever, you crash into a bus it is likely your fault. most people in my city already know this and so do the bus drivers which is why its very rare that anyone fucks around, just looked it up and its actually a province wide regulation, once a bus signals left they have the right of way.
>>
>>1794359
your stupid idea gives less opportunities for other vehicles and express busses to overtake the bus which is loading people. also looks like a bitch for now clearing teams if it snows.
>>
File: 1651229361923.jpg (163 KB, 912x1318)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>
>>1794359
Fuck buses, I'd sooner be a cagie. Trains or don't bother.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.