[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: folding-bike-promo.jpg (1.08 MB, 1244x1244)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>ctrl-f
>fold
>0 results
My chinesium, nth hand, hand me down bike broke, again, so I want to replace it with a folding bike since I commute by train everyday; I also do evening deliveries on my bike (yes I'm poor) so the daily km tally is quite high. For that reason I want to avoid the cheapest, crappiest bikes to be found on Amazon and I'm willing to spend (a little) extra for a bike that somewhat reliable.

I live in Euroland. All I know about folding bikes is that Decathlon sells a few models and while they're decent quality for the price I should avoid the cheapest one. Anyone familiar with Decathlon Tilt 500 or 900 models? Any reason to prefer one over the other?
>>
>>1791190
firstly:
imagine the smell on that saddle
secondly:
I don't think Decartón is a good option.
I'm also considering foldable but maybe I'll go further for an electric version (blame my recently broken leg, on a decathlon bike none the less).
Unfortunately I'm still figuring out the state of the art of this market sector. Have you considered foldable ebikes by any chance?
>>
>>1791190
Fold and high durability for high km don't go together.
>>
>>1791190
Just get a Brompton.
>>
>>1793184
>Brompton
>yes I'm poor
>>
>>1793141
>I don't think Decartón is a good option.
How so?

>Have you considered foldable ebikes by any chance?
Overkill for me. Beside I would have to raise my budget even further for an equal quality folding ebike compared to a regular one.
>>
Get a brompton so you can constantly mention it to random people hoping they'll ask you how many monies you paid for it. If they don't ask tell them anyway. If they don't seem interested, find places like elevators and bathrooms so you can have a captive audience for the 30 or so seconds it takes you to "casually" mention that you have a folding bike, it's called a brompton, and did you know it costs X amount of monies (but it's totally worth it).
>>
>>1793414
Buy once, cry once.
>>
i'm considering buying a tilt 120 for daily commute and for fun. yay or nay? it costs 289E here in europe. not so much but it's still a relevant expense.
>>
bought the luna eclipse bros, i'll let you know how it is once it comes in, i know the rear hub 1000w bafang kicks a bit so it should be good
>>
I'm looking there
>>
you're going to want a mountain bike for a few reasons.
One being they are generally lighter than other types of bikes while also being more versatile, they also have gears which can switch to get you where you need to go faster. On top of that, they have suspensions which will even your ride out. Here's a nice one I found on amazon that folds: https://www.amazon.com/Eurobike-Suspension-Mountain-Folding-ArmyGreen/dp/B07Q2K48HK/ref=asc_df_B07Q2K48HK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343224629692&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10497278762729984461&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004155&hvtargid=pla-737004048216&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=69473714859&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343224629692&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10497278762729984461&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004155&hvtargid=pla-737004048216
>>
>cheap
>good quality
>folding
Pick two
>>
File: 1650682929014.gif (436 KB, 320x320)
436 KB
436 KB GIF
>>1794432
dos mio....
>>
Those Youtube reviews really want me to get a Brompton. I would benefit a lot from the folding mechanism because I travel by long distance train frequently. I am afraid that at the end I would hate using it though because I am spoiled by my road bike with easy climbing and generally being speedy with little effort. Then again I would feel guilty to spend that much money for a second bike. What's the general opinion here on Bromptons?
>>
Why had no one recommend Dahon? Hey OP go look into a Dahon
>>
>>1794960
I had to reduce my brompton's chainring to 40t because the default one made climbing too difficult for me. great bike imo. only issue I have with it is getting the nose of the seat pointing straight forward after unfolding
>>
File: Capture.jpg (179 KB, 868x652)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>1791190
>>1794120
I have a tilt 100 (oxylane) and i bought it cuz it's the cheapest and most simple. if you feel like you'll need gears get one with gears. it rides super simple and comfy and folds up quick, nut it is steel and pretty heavy. so if you're gonna be walking around the subway with it get one of those carry handles for an e-scooter and use that. i'm happy with mine and i ride it in the summer when i go to parks and such to hangout and i take it with me in the car when i go on trips. But if i'm gonna have a serious ride i use my road bike. i recomend foldies, but think if you really need one
>>
>>1795064
you basically describe why it's a good choice for me. thanks anon and good ride.
>>
>>1791190
I kinda want a peugeot folding bike but I just know i'd regret it
>>
File: IMG_20220507_115632~2.jpg (2.84 MB, 3472x4640)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
I just bought a very cheap, single speed Decathlon folding bike, a Tilt 100, for 130€ (it was second hand).

I rode it this morning early to work and back on a test run. Turns out my city is very hilly, and most of the way there is on a slight incline. I arrived very winded and very sweaty.

It doesn't fold that small, and it is very unwieldy when folded. I am also very unprepared to climb hills in it, and I got a charlie horse on my right thigh already when finishing the victory lap around my neighborhood from the test run.

Other than that, I am blessed by the ignorance of this being my first bike I rode in 15 years, and the first one ever that I've owned. It is so neat that I can go faster than walking now without taking buses or metro, or paying for gas. The exercise can't be all that bad, either.

Cyclists were friendly, and even a couple of motorists were, too.

Splendid experience thus far, really.
>>
>>1797351
good to hear anon
it's even better on a real bicycle
>>
>>1795064
I turned one of these into a fixed gear when I lived in Romania lel
>>
>>1797351
Hills always seem that way at first when you haven't ridden in so long. Give it a few months, you'll be able to do things you didn't think were possible as you'll notice how you're getting stronger and faster day by day
>>
maybe try a minivelo
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/nano.htm
for the price, as-is, probably great for getting to work or whatever. build it up with quality parts if you wish. kinda want one just for the +1 meme
>>
>>1791190
get poni
>>
How's Dahon's Mariner D8? Seems among the best of its kind (not a Brompton)
>>
>>1797371
Wisdom, Anon.
>>
>>1797881
Dahons are usually regarded as being some of the best, yeah.
>>
>>1797946
Thanks Anon. For everyone else, if you're looking for a ~1k folder, this looks imo like the one.
>>
Anyone have any experience with Citizen bikes? Was looking into maybe getting the Miami Citizen but I feel like I don't find too much info about them online.
>>
bump
>>
>>1794464
montague is all 3
>>
>>1791190
10/10, would strike up conversation about her gay folding bike to more closely mire those feet.
>>
bump
>>
>>1791190
Redpill me on the fold question.
>>
I have to commute all over London by train and tube for early starts in really random locations and I had a Raleigh Foldaway which I loved, my friend has the Btwin Tilt 500 which was also good to ride. Raleigh didn't have too much top speed (used to a road bike usually). Both are good for climbing. But then I got a Brompton because of rush hour tube trains and the size and the fold is much smaller. And it is so much much better in every way. If you can afford it I would save for the Brompton and you will have it for the rest of your life.
>>
>>1791190
Just get an unicycle at that point.
>>
Just grabbed a brompton m6l on a whim while out with my family in London, its pretty awesome how small it gets. Need to go to an event in London and was looking forward to using it but I hear people are getting mugged for them.
>>
I got a green one
>>
File: beauty.jpg (1.98 MB, 3400x3400)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
I've got a Benotto Vancouver. It's cheap and fantastic for a relaxing ride or commuting short distances. Very comfortable ride, pretty decent albeit slow in hills, although it does feel as cheap as it looks. My main issue is that it's slower and way more frail than what i'm used to (I used to ride a schwin mtb)
Still, if your city (and I MEAN city, since folding bikes are useless outside an urban setting) is relatively flat and you dont mind sacrificing speed over comfort, i'd say go for it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.