[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 111 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: Reichstag Bulk Carrier.jpg (424 KB, 2048x1536)
424 KB
424 KB JPG
River Bulk Carrier Edition
Sticky: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lxDKFTLO4x771l06T9y331XYhlc6TqYj-hfhl91iXXU/edit
Old thread: >>1748858
Question of the day:
Would be inland shipping a viable career to look into for a young anon in Germany?
>>
>>1781841
Had a guy i sailed with work on rhine elba antwerp or Rotterdam canals on bunker barges. He said that the pay is not so great, few ppl onboard and a lot of work. He made a couple of contracts and got back to merchant vsl. On the plus site. No storms, no rolling
>>
The container market peaked 6 weeks ago.
Today it started to hit mainstream news, stocks collapsed etc

Party is over, the best market in the history of shipping has ended. It's only downhill from now.
>>
>>1781841
>Would be inland shipping a viable career to look into for a young anon in Germany?
I'm far from an expert but in my mind, inland shipping has no foreign competition, no influx of new ships, a fairly steady market, it's pretty safe, you're not far from home. Why not, as long as it pays.
The bad thing is that they might phase it out in favor of trains or other electric options in the future though.
>>
How do I get into the industry with being an electronics technician (AAS plus 3 years of experience)? Do I need to start from the bottom as a Wiper?
>>
File: instinct.webm (623 KB, 1280x720)
623 KB
623 KB WEBM
>>1782340
>waaaaah no more high shipping prices
>m-muh record profits
Crass.
>>
>>1782342
>The bad thing is that they might phase it out in favor of trains or other electric options in the future though.
That's actually what I'm wondering about.
For one thing even our conservatives here in Germany endorse the "Verkehrswende" towards greener personal transport and cargo shipping, on the other hand the efforts towards bringing more cargo back onto rails have been slow at best so far sadly, inland shipping would be very green and could remove lots of trucks from the roads but I wonder in what condition the industry is nowadays.
Our maritime industry is for example as far as I know nearly dead from an employee perspective and german sailors and officers mainly survive in roles for which you can't hire cheaper foreigners like tugging, specialty coastal work or government and naval auxiliary service.
>>
>>1782340
nonsense

I hope
>>
Is $12 per 100mb a reasonable cost on ships?
Is 22gb of data transfers in a month a reasonable amount on ships?
>>
>>1782784
Sorry i meant 22gb for one person
>>
>>1781841
>Would be inland shipping a viable career to look into for a young anon in Germany?
I know working on the inland rivers of the US is very hard work, but that’s mostly due to constantly lashing barges together and making lock landings.

>>1782489
ETO Possibly?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro-technical_officer

Also fuck me bros, terrestrial nav class is hard
>>
>>1783314
Its harder working on the GREAT lakes
>>
Does having 6 months at sea as a wiper already improve my chances at the AMO tech star program?
>>
>>1783949
Not at all, they will probably ask if you're a high school drop-out lol.
>>
Anyone know any detailed books about the history of ships, archaeological evidence, types of knots, masts, ropes, etc
Primarily interested in pre-steam ships/boats
>>
Pay attention in school bros. I’m making 140k a year as a mate but I have no idea what the fuck is going on, I have ZERO clue how to use any of the bridge equipment or how to tell if a line is about to snap and you know what? I get the feeling everyone above me is just as clueless. It’s a fucking wonder I’m not dead or in jail yet
>>
>>1783984
are you implying it's easy to get into that program?
>>
>in the .001 chance of hospitalisation
>test positive
>signed off
>get screened
>pneumonia
>hospitalised and quaratined
Great fucking """"""""""vaccine""""""""""" you have there pfizer
>>
NO SAFETY
SMOKING FIRST
>>
>>1784853
They want people with high academic results and proven competencies, thus if you're a wiper they will ask you if you didn't have any other options available.
You also misread the implication to the complete opposite, making it unlikely you are star material.
>>
>>1785122
I have to get the jab by Friday or I lose my job :^)
>>
File: girls .jpg (53 KB, 680x375)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>1785624
Don't get it!
>>
>>1785624
start a no-jab company doing the same thing you do now
>>
Any LNG chads here or only barge and container plebs?
>>
>>1785624
I got it in january
Same as you
>>
>>1785829
You guys know there are companies that don't require it, right?
>>
>>1782784
22gb isn't bad but depends on the speed.
In my previous company we had 400mb a month and 20 USD for an additional 400 mb. Basically you only used messenger behind a firewall.

Now I've got 10gb a week with acceptable speeds, during peek hours it lags but after my night watch I can watch YouTube easily
>>
>>1784112
Found the Brit/German/Croatian that only got a promo to mate cause of his nationality. Can't wait to see you on /gif/ in a rekt thread when you get disintegrated by a line
>>
>5 days short of 180 days as a wiper
>top guys on my last ship were lazy retards who fucked me over
What does it look like if i went to the union hall as a wiper with experience? In MSC now and kind of fed up
>>
>>1785998
I've heard of a couple people getting shafted a few days short of 180
I wonder if they do this intentionally to fuck with people
>>
>>1785624
Most tug companies on the gulf coast don’t require it. RETVRN.
>>
>I don't have any experience with any of these colleges since I'm a hawspiper, but I have noticed varying levels of quality from different officers/engineers I've worked with.
So which are the best and which are the worst?
>>
>>1786256
Mainers are pretty good overall but also think they’re better than everyone. New England elitism or something. Lotta engineers from there, some good some awful.
SUNY is ran like a military academy and they come out super high strung.
California grads are fucking retarded and full of California passive aggressive attitude.
Texas A&M guys are pretty cool but also kinda seem like bumpkins.
The only USMMA guy I knew wouldn’t stop whining about how he really wanted to be a pilot, and how Mariner officers “don’t make a lot of money “
But his parents are doctors or something.
Never worked with a Great Lakes grad because Great Lakes isn’t real.
>>
>>1787120
My pilot I mean aircraft. He’s forever hung up on not being selected for USN aviation after he graduated and was commissioned as a USNR officer.

ALL academy deck officers I’ve ever known think they’re going to be harbor pilots one day.
>>
>>1787121
Gotta be able to speak French and English in leafland.
>>
I feel like I'm too intelligent to be the ship's janitor/designated retard OS, but at the same time really don't want to do another 4 years of college :(
>>
>>1787378
Shut the fuck up ngmi
>>
>>1787378
You'll never be able to apply the colregs to mujhahadeen
>>
File: 1650239863982.jpg (52 KB, 960x540)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>1782174
Bunkering service is a hell of a job no matter where you are or what your are onboard. 2 months on a bunker barge at gulf of Guinea and Im done for it for good.
>>
File: 1643417258028.jpg (67 KB, 1024x1024)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
in 9 days headed for my cadetship on a bulk carrier, what am I in for?
>>
>go home
>do nothing
Life is pointless isnt it
>>
>>1789207
What's hard about it? Here on the lakes there might be an opportunity to work on one but they primarily do MDO
>>
>>1789553
Engine or deck?
>>
File: E3VSi26VEAs_9u3.jpg (142 KB, 1169x1114)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>1789588
Schedule was tough. When you're done with one ship you're going to the next and when you're done with that you're going back to mothership to refuel. Constant STS on ocean swells, snapping lines all day everyday. Not to mention supercargo stealing fuel on every delivery constantly as a tacit company policy. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. (Oh yes you got your filthy share as a gag-money every month)
>>
>>1789666
Meant hush-money but came up with something pretty close eh
>>
>>1789666
>>1789667
Very nice none of that here . No hush hush money either
>>
>>1789611
Deck cadet
>>
Do crew share cabins on a tug and barge?
Does the captain steer the tug or does the AB?
>>
>>1791179
Also what’s the schedule like as an AB? 4 on 8 off?
>>
Why the fuck is this thread in /n/igger. Mariners shouldn't be associated with spandex wearing cycling cucks with rare exceptions. /Diy/ would make for a much better host for /mg/
>>
>>1791179
The chief engineer steers the tug from down below in the steering flat. Take care
>>
>>1791187
12 on huffing paint and 6 off cooking but on paper 6 and 6
>>
>>1791914
wow, very cool kanye
>>
>>1791930
Stfu cycle fagt before we stop shipping the air for your tires
>>
>>1791914
It's the other way around, cyclists should fuck off to /fit/ or /out/.
>>
I just threw a union contract back, did I get blacklisted?
>>
>>1792552
In what country?
>>
>>1792699
Canada
I told the dispatch yes I wanted the contract on friday to join a vsl on the 30th but this morning I called the dispatch and told them I changed my mind and did not want it
He was pretty mad but told me he’d let it slide because i’m new but to never do this to him again, i’m bottom of the seniority queue
>>
>>1792733
They always need people but that's been the word for years now. Don't do it again
>>
>>1792773
Yeah I won’t i’m just worried he’s going to withhold good contracts/never call me again
>>
File: 1573074788946.gif (1.46 MB, 217x217)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB GIF
>>1782340
Did I call this or what

I wish I had money to put where my mouth is
>>
just applied to MSC as a wiper
I don't know anything about engines, and I've never worked a day in my life
>>
>>1793743
So you’re no different than any other MSC wiper.
As long as you don’t actively try and be a fuck up, you’ll be fine. Nobody expects you to know anything, just don’t be one of the ones who’s always hiding or showing up late.
>>
Being a mate is great but holy fuck do I hate mooring. MSC new hires are retarded and I feel like I can’t trust any of them not to get themselves killed. I’m supposed to be the safety observer for these bumblefucks who come out late with shoes untied, hard hats unsecured and falling off, wearing gloves and shoving their hands into moving parts.
And it doesn’t help when we’re getting underway and realize the Chief Mate is a dunce who decided to figure 8 a line that has both ends on the pier, try and take it off last, and realize it had become a Chinese finger trap.
It’s shocking that people in MSC aren’t dying in the dozens every year.
>>
>>1793961
appreciate the advice
I'll try my best not to be a nuisance
>>
>>1793988
Also because you’re on the chans I’m gonna assume you might be racist. Don’t be racist on ships, there’s a lot of new hires from inner city kids from norfolk, Jacksonville, etc. many of them are nice but a few are lazy assholes who will drive you up a wall
>>
>>1790110
get ready to run everywhere you go
>>
With alaskan fishing being so notorious for being dangerous, how much does this dangerousness stem from it being inherently risky and how much from unqualified and poorly trained personnel and the, at least that is how I as German perceive it, rather lax approach towards industrial regulation the US has?
>>
>>1795207
Its dangerous because guys are hanging overboard and handling lines all day in giant swells, and also because sometimes they go out in shit buckets that sink because their company is cheap.
>>
>>1793992
gay advice desu
>>
>>1795562
Looks like someone hasn’t seen flip-black-white race wars play out on their ship. Nasty business
>>
What's it like sailing with Indians? Are they as intolerable as they are on land or based mariners?
>>
Anyone here a mariner in Italy or France? I'm from the US and I'm planning on applying to MSC and working with them for a year or two, but it's a little bit hard to find info on the requirements to become an employee for a foreign mariner company (I have the immigration thing figured out though). I just want to know what the process is like and how it compares differently from the US
>>
>>1793743
age?
>>
>>1793992
I treat people well until they give me a reason to treat them badly

>>1796506
early to mid twenties
>>
Hell yeah, passed terrestrial nav and celestial nav
>>
File: 1625408819911.jpg (128 KB, 750x741)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
I actually got a compliment on my behaviour on my last hitch as cadet, didnt even get one yellin' the whole trip
Is this what heaven feels like bros?
>>
File: DJI_0281 - Copy.jpg (1.87 MB, 3284x2189)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
>>1796108
you will sail most prob under some meme flag. no taxes paid for you. what is written on your contract is what you ll be paid. if usa cucks your income somehow you are fucked. if not you get 100% what is in your contract. if flag is EU, you will be paid taxes in those countries and depending on country you can apply for tax returns.
multinational crew. be prepared for broken english and 10 accents ob.
>>
File: DJI_0288 - Copy.jpg (2.28 MB, 3284x2189)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
barbeque with the boyos
>>
File: 1561308972327.jpg (48 KB, 526x701)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>need to be in the office at 0430 tomorrow
>>
>>1781841
This is the first time im on leave, couple days in and already bored. What do you fags do on your off time to not go insane?
Already plowed the missus and drank copious amounts of alcohol
>>
>>1798508
Go out with friends, take your bitch to some nice vacation, fix shit around the house, play video games, learn something new like excel, word, photoshop etc, get a bike and explore the city, go for a walk and explore the city. Assuming you don t have any hobbies.
>>
File: charls.gif (371 KB, 220x220)
371 KB
371 KB GIF
>>1798508
Usually when I'm at sea I'm making a big list of chores, errands, projects, jobs, and/or adventures I want to do, so when I get home I can hit the ground running. If I don't make a plan for my off time (It's never too late) and follow through at least part of the way, I get depressed. And would probably become a big alcoholic if I was biological predisposed to that.

Imposing a routine on oneself is usually good. Have rules, have a consistent sleep/workout/cooking schedule. Otherwise you go from extreme routine (boat) to extreme freedom (NEET) and that's kind of difficult for the psyche imo.
>>
>>1798508
Get a job waiting tables it’s a fun time
>>
>work for inland, nonunion, tug company
>often sail disregarding COI manning requirements
>routinely work over 12, with not OT or extra pay
>company’s mate’s bitched how licensed engineers make more than them
>company won’t pay for QMED or DDE school, or chief wages- except for 3 guys grandfathered in since last “pay raise” (over a year ago, and only 1% vs 3% compared to other positions)
>losing deckineers and deckhands left and right
My morale is low. I’m overworked, no schedule, harassed to go back to work after a few days off, and never see my old lady or family.
I called up the SIU - seafarers international union. They were shady about wages and wouldn’t be upfront, as I don’t have the required school to get in. However, they said the union pays for all school. That would save me out the ass for my endorsements, as I have like 700 days seatime.
>>
>>1799041
Sounds about par for the course for non-union.
>Worked for a car ferry service
>Memo released about what wind speeds require the cancellation of trips
>Given this memo during a time of excessive winds and told to move traffic by that same supervisor
>If anything happens, would get told "why'd you run?"
In this situation, it's much better to refuse and lose your job than agree and lose your license and therefore your job. This had happened a few times in the past already.
>>
>>1797885
You working offshore Africa or South America?

I’m delivering an AHTS to Nigeria in month or so
>>
>>1799100
Hell, I just learned about the 2003 New York ferry incident this morning, when we were talking about removing a bin wall off a barge. “Just call up that ferry captain from Staten Island”
>2003
>40 mph winds and supposed to sail with 2 pilots
>wind blows ferry into concrete pier
>injures 70, kills 11

Like ride the ducks incident in Seattle, and that company paid terrible wages for licensed captains.
>>
>>1798765
I’m productive, social, and workout religiously on the boat.

I go home, and get depressed and unproductive easily, just waiting for the only human contact I ever get from my wife when she comes home at 1800, and the seeing her and occasional friends/family on weekends.

I’ve tried setting rules to where I can’t drink in my own home or drink alone, but fell of that wagon last time I was home. My wife was out of town for 3 days. I went on a bender. All because I tried drinking a few beers while mowing the lawn.

Any excessive drinking or going partying often brings a day or two hangover (is this what pushing 30 brings??) and alcohol withdrawals, and makes the sad head voice and depression a lot worse.

I don’t have any of my own friends.
I spend most all my time alone at work and at home. It’s not as soul crushing as a 9-5, but I’m already having a midlife crisis.
I have no blood family that I talk to. I attend church too sporadically to have any sense of community. The only thing that gives me any sense of purpose is being needed on my crew. A job I’m pigeonholed into financially. I don’t have any social connections or I’m not intelligent/skilled enough to get a land job that pays a salary nearly as close to what I make. Is this the rest of my life? Fighting off alcoholic tendencies and depression when I’m home?
>>
>>1799141
Europe
>>
>>1799411
If you don t find something to keep you busy home, yes
>>
>>1799411
Start cycling in your free time.
You might be also to the point to need to think about seeking a land based work.
>>
What's the average starting pay for a first year?
>>
>>1800593
stfu and get back to swabbing the deck
>>
>>1799041
>>routinely work over 12, with not OT or extra pay
so what you're saying is that you literally unironically do it for free. in one of the most backbreaking industries out there.
haha, what the fuck my man?
>>
>>1799411
>A job I’m pigeonholed into financially. I don’t have any social connections or I’m not intelligent/skilled enough to get a land job that pays a salary nearly as close to what I make.
my biggest fear. I have a degree in biology, I've been sailing as a third for a year now but I'm thinking of quitting for a science job. it would be temporary and I would go back to sailing, but I want something on my resume that shows I can be a landwagie when I eventually get tired of sailing
>>
>>1800734
How did you go from graduating in biology to sailing?
>>
Can you get a qmed job without seatime as a qmed? Also are ferry jobs shit?
>>
>>1799411
Im the same way except im unlicensed so am thinking of going into a trade on shore, only thing is i was the same way before sailing too so idk what to do besides try to change once i go shoreside permanently. Also it seems like a lot of people are like this nowadays regardless of how much time they get at home.
>>
File: dnb_anchr.png (135 KB, 876x646)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
It seems like Ukraine breathe through Danube river facilities. 20+ vessels at anchor waiting in line. More to come through Bosporus.
>>
whaddup /mg/. Dropped by San Pedro again to check out the ships; you get a really nice view of the Ever Front when there isnt a big ass cruise ship in the way
>>
File: 1463251092545.png (92 KB, 253x224)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
We hired a guy in the office who makes twice my salary and does absolutely fuck all
>>
>>1801392
Been once in 2004 on the danube river. I don't think they have enough pilots for that kind of incoming vsls. Don't know that the max draft and dwt is allowed on danube and danube ports. Might be many small ships
>>
Anyone else have a hard time leaving home every single time? I need to work on the ferry service i think, im far too mentally ill for this shit…
>>
File: mgger.jpg (152 KB, 1200x776)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>1801967
The perk is that, if say you're working even time, you only have to leave home six times a year, instead of five times a week.
>>
File: dire dire docks.jpg (3.1 MB, 4032x3024)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
back in San Pedro at an ungodly hour, but it is pretty
>>
>>1801967
It was every time. And you know what? It doesnt get easier with time. it only gets worse.
>>
>>1800734
bro become and environemental officer on cruise ship and smash pussy all day long while doing a cushy paperwork job.
>>
>>1802269
how
>>
Anons I need help. I'm 22, in the UK, and just graduated with an MSc in Computer Science. However, I've actually become repulsed by the CS industry over the years and have gravitated towards maritime. I don't really know very much, so I want to find out what the best path for me to take is, and what the process of getting that is.
I've looked into things like Merchant Navy, but the problem with that is the 4 years of training. I still want to get married and settle down eventually, and I'm worried that I might spend my entire youth at sea and be too late to start a family. It's a paradoxical set of interests, and I really don't know what to do.
>>
>>1802681
Gong out to sea is for men who have nothing on land. Consider tht before you throw away your social life for a life tht will satbilize your neuroticsm to some extent. The whole wife and kids thing, forget about it unless youre looking foward to raising an emasculted child without a father figure and like constantly worrying about the cock your wife is riding while youre getting screamed at by the good ol cap.

Othrwise, get your basic stcw certs an hop on as a deckhand somewhere coastal and see for yourself
>>
>>1802681
This is me but i realized my family prospects were zero anyway due to my autism so went for it anyway, im 25 now and know nobody in the US. Im going to start working less and go shoreside soon and try to find a wife or something, you have jobs you can transition too somewhat easily on land if youre an engineer even unlicensed, but im going to go to a college do get a degree in something i like. The thing with spending your youth at sea is you have a lot more fun with better friends than you would, or atleast i did, on land, but then you are completely alone when you go home. Going to try to work 4 months out of the year from now on and start building up on land and if i still have nothing then idk.
>>
Should I go ETO or marine engineer?
>>
>>1803074
one of these professions has you dismantling the sewage macerator pump while it's full because some chink thought it would be funny to leave bolts in the pipes while they built the ship and the other one doesn't
>>
>>1803100
>>1803074
Imagine the smell
>>
>>1803074
if you're in BC the gov will bretty much pay ur tuition for marine engineering and the place you take it will hook you up with a job through co-op
https://www.bcit.ca/programs/marine-engineering-diploma-full-time-cooperative-education-2942dipma/
>>
>>1802681
You'll probably make much better money and live more comfortably using that degree
>>
File: 1488830288457.jpg (255 KB, 1536x1536)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
Lads, this is it.
All ships are printing money now.

Dry, wet, LNG, cars, containers, you name it. They're all money printing machines. If it floats, it's making millions.

It's time to ask for that raise, or that cushy new job.
>>
>>1802681
Just work as an IT on a cruise ship get that sea knack out of your system and while you are at it fuck some pussy or bussy (its full of gays as well lol)
>>
From qmed to getting a license is there anyway to get a desk job shoreside? Or do you need a degree and then some for that? Trying to figure out if i should keep doing this shit so im not 30 and fucked, should i just learn to code?
>>
>>1790110
be ready to not sleep...
>>
>>1797886
GOD, i love offshore vessels. so comfy,
>>
what's your experience with mexicans?
>>
>>1803574
Either really laid back bros or they want to be treated with respect like some cartel dude
>>
>>1802269
I am a fucking retard, how did I not know this was a thing? As soon as I get back to burgerland from my current MSC tour I am absolutely applying for something like this, thank you anon
>>
File: 1535999397503.png (11 KB, 211x246)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
Have you guys done any EEXI calculations yet?

I'm hearing rumours that fairly modern ships are failing the calculation and will require retrofits and very quickly too.

I don't even know what retrofit is needed, they say they'll need engine power limitations. How the fuck do you do that?
>>
Hey guys, I'm in the deck department of SIU. About to be an AB. I am really nervous because they kind of just throw you out there. I just finished a 160 day tour as an OS, and I still really struggle with mooring. Like I have no idea wtf is going on or what to do.
>>
>>1803913
Do you have a bio degree and hawse to 3rd?
>>
How much credit does america give for canadian mates tickets?
>>
>>1804165
mooring is easy just follow the mate, AB is easy but if you can’t steer you’re useless
>>
im not a big boat man like the rest of you guys but im working as a deckhand on a ferry this summer so yep
>>
>>1804256

As an OS I steered my ship into Charleston, SC and did just fine.
>>
>>1804256

I think I just had asshole shipmates as far as mooring, the mate was OK
>>
None of you can tie a bowline to a part in under 1 second
>>
>>1804647
that's gay, all you need is a clove hitch + half hitches
bowlines aren't the type of shit you tie under a time limit
>>
File: 1332190699130.jpg (90 KB, 500x368)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
be safe anons
https://www.tradewindsnews.com/tankers/iran-seizes-two-greek-flagged-suezmaxes-in-middle-east-gulf/2-1-1226592

Things are going to heat up soon
Commodities are no longer things to be traded, for the first time in 40 years they are about to become things to be hoarded
>>
>>1804846
Fuck off fear mongering shill with sbscription news links. Iran has been pulling this shit for millenia and will pay the right people
>>
your position
how long you've worked in the industry
do you regret it
>>
I don’t get why engineers or DDEs get such regret, did they all get neck deep in mortgages and cars? Why not just go be an ET or hvac/ electrician on land for maybe 30 percent less annually? Or even something more well paying and easier.
>>
>>1804901
3rd mate
One year plus four years of schooling
I make a fuckton and save it all since I live with my parents. But I’m constantly afraid that I’ll get someone hurt or dead with my newfaggotry. I’ve seen too many lines snap, and now I have a paralyzing fear of mooring.
>>
Going for 6 months as engine cadet on an crude oil tanker, what am I in for?
>>
>>1804165
Me too, but I was told not to worry, it takes a while to understand mooring. (Im brand new os)
>>1804256
hate ABs who can't steer
>>
File: Picture 1 001.jpg (427 KB, 1792x1312)
427 KB
427 KB JPG
>>1805055
Lots of shitty work nobody else wants to do with no days off. Also very slim chances of going ashore.
>>
>>1805176
Sounds like fun.
>>
>>1805176
why do they use this puke green color for every deep sea ship?
>>
what's the weirdest shit you've seen someone bring onboard?

new deckhand brought a fucking painting to hang in his cabin
>>
>>1806190
Maybe he cooms to it. Maybe it contains hash. After all, we are society's dregs
>>
>>1806190
wow a painting, god forbid someone tries to cheer up a little his depressing sea pod
>>
>>1800732
Yeah, we can legally be worked 14 hours a day. I’m sick of getting fucked 4 manning a 5 man (COI required boat) “We’ll get a deckhand onboard” and it doesn’t happen for a week, since the company won’t hire or can’t retain hands.

Then when running as engineer on a 4 man boat, with a greenhorn or mate that can’t land a barge, often captain and/or myself has to be up.

Just spent the last week only getting one undisturbed off-watch a day. I’m burnt the fuck out. Especially after starting my last hitch with an ornery ass boomer.
>mate ain’t showing up until 0100, due to being incompetent for 1800 crew up time
>deckhand ain’t coming in until 0000, due to being on another boat
>get boat ready for 2000 fuel appt
>check in with captain if he’s ready to drop lines soon
>”sure, but what are you doing with MY fucking radio? You’re supposed to buy your own radio”
And that’s the straw that broke the camels back for working at this shithole company, after I lost my cool with that fuckhead. No OT. Never have even met any office people in person. No schedule/harassed on my time off, and being expected to keep forking out my own money for VHF radios.
>>
>>1806447
tugboat retard, I wouldn't work on one for anything under $50 per hour
>>
>>1806190
3rd mate bought an onahole in japan
>>
whats your favorite time of watchkeeping ?
>>
>>1806583
1200-1800 and 0000 to 0600 everyday for 4 months
>>
>>1806583
8-12 is the closest to a normal schedule and you get some nice sunsets

but I like 4-8 because no one's around and everything's quiet
>>
>>1806447
Do you have at least OS with your basic STCW?
go to the oilfield. Never work over 12hrs and all around a great place to learn. Hornbeck, Harvey, chouest, candies, Jackson, bordelon
Don’t fuck around with the mom & pop companies that run utility boats or crewboats and stick to the big companies with the big boats
>>
File: DJI_0300 - Copy.jpg (2.66 MB, 2496x5952)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
>>
>>1806532
based coomer
>>
>>1782505
Shipping on kanals is the greenest transportation method of bigger charges. The problem is the sinking ground water that might make them less usable more often.
>>
do you browse 4chan using the boats wifi or do you wait for data?
>>
>>1807738
I use the boat wifi
>>
>>1807768
incoming email from the office, I hope you don't watch porn using the boat wifi
>>
>>1807769
Fuck no lol

So far no company I’ve worked for has cared about going on blue boards
>>
does MSC require you to be vaccinated?
>>
>>1808319
Yes
>>
>spends $700m to buy four LNG carriers from ING Bank
>spends $460m to buy two LNG carriers under construction
>spends $360m to build three neopanamaxes
>spends $290m to build ten feeders
>spends $960m to build 11 car carriers
>all of this in 2022 so far alone
>shows up to Posidonia with an "ATM" hat
this jew is a funny guy
>>
>>1808391
How do i achieve this? I was looking recently and saw some small shitty tankers for sale for under a million dollars, how much regulation is stopping me from buying one and registering it and sailing with a skeleton crew?
>>
>>1808392
You would be better off buying an oil rig.
>>
>>1808392
He's the son of a shipping magnate.
His brother is equally rich.

I don't know how their dad made his fortune, I've heard stories that he profited at the expense of the Israeli government.

But shipping cycles are so slow it's very hard to build such a fortune in one lifetime, even if you get the timing right.
>>
Its over deckies

t. engine bro

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/autonomous-cargo-ship-hyundai-b2094991.html
>>
>>1808458
what about mooring? also engies know 0 safety
>>
Any jobs for DDE 4k shoreside?
>>
>>1808458
Its fine. This will only phase out the pajeet polack stinky eastern european filipino and other slave tier sailors. Real sailors are already working in niche tier industries like oil, inland shipping, mine layers, research, expedition, dredge etc. Wll still need a skeletoncrew of slaves to hose out the cargo holds in between ports while the eye in the sky navigates them into the depths of hell. Niche industris will take a while for the the cost to outweight the benefits. Sailing across an ocean aint what it used to be
>>
File: 9bq17b1pkq5y.jpg (31 KB, 357x270)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1808539
>>1808485
Jokes on you guys I already went shoreside >:)
I saw the article and came back here just to shitpost
>>
>>1808555
You were never a sailor
>>
I'm pretty close to finishing up everything I need to apply as an OS for various companies including MSC. My only concern is finding a company where I can be gone for at least a few months (I'm in the US and am very open to moving around the country) and not just being out for a few weeks at a time. TLDR, I have a shitty living situation and I would rather not come home after being on a ship and want to get my own place or rent out a room, whichever I find first. My question is what companies would be best for my situation? Or should I just say fuck it and apply for MSC so I can live onboard when I'm not on deployment?
>>
>>1808580
If you wanna be gone forever MSC is the best option. Or live somewhere in the carribean and go to the union halls in florida
>>
>>1808626
Yea I figured MSC was the best option since I kinda wanna move out of the country when I’m not working.
I don’t care much for my family to see them often and I have a few friends but they constantly deploy or are stationed far, let alone I don’t speak to anyone much here at home so I might as well just make decent money
>>
>>1782340
China is fucked then.
>>
>>1808555
>>1808555
What did you transition to from deck? Amazon warehouse?
>>
Any Euros here? Do you know where can I easily get into cadetship for 2 weeks?
>>
>>1809868
I should have added, engine department.
>>
Am I automatically endorsed as a wiper/os when I apply for MMC? or do I need to take beginner courses if I zero seamanship experience? I want to apply to MSC ET position because I have degree in EE.
>>
had a coworker lose 3 fingers to a spring line the other day
it snapped and tore the bitt right off the boat. 19 year old working on a ferry
>>
File: IMG_20220613_004257.jpg (65 KB, 880x596)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>1808458
At last.
>>
>>1810940
who's fault was it?
>>
>>1810732
It isn't "automatic", you need to put in your application that you want both Wiper and OS, but you don't need any "beginner courses" or experience for that
>>1808640
>MSC
>decent money
>>
My ship just switched from transas ecdis to sperry
I want to strangle whoever designed this piece of shit system.
>>
>>1811390
Sperry ECDIS is the worst
>>
>>1811390
i have never used ecdis,
>>
>>1811790
Do you even know who owns one
>>
File: IMG_20211224_114545.jpg (3.02 MB, 4032x3024)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
How do you keep your routines when you're off ship? I am super tidy super disciplined while on board my work is neat and on time I eat clean and do exercises and keep fit but alas when I get back to home. I turn into something between sluggish neet to a retired midlife crisis oldman and a spoiled childish behaviour here and there. I'd really wish to have some sort of business on land to shape me up. Anyone who can relate? Any suggestions?
>>
>>1811920
I got insane after becoming basically a NEET for 2 weeks while on leave so I got another job working in an ship engine repair shop. Shits cash, can decide my own hours and i do it more for fun than the money.
>>
is it realistic to expect to become a chief engineer within 15 years, starting as a wiper?
>>
take an azimuth right fucking now
>>
>>1811972
But sir ship is equipped with gaydar
>>
>>1811972
Our ships azimuth circles are placed inside the bridge. 3/5 times you cant even take an azimuth because the sight is blocked.
>>
>>1811144
honestly im not sure. at first I thought it was the captains but it sounds like it was the deckhands, putting fingers where they shouldnt and waiting too long to do the spring line. something like that
basically I dont know because I wasn't there and I have heard conflicting accounts of the event
>>
>>1799411
unironically seek therapy. You have a lot of feelings that you need to express and share with someone. A psychiatrist will be able to help you come up with a far better plan than we can.
>>
>>1811390
I feel you. At first I thought Transas had shit UI, but apparently other brands have it a lot worse. They all are designed by some kind of alien cephalopod engineers with zero clue about how it works in real life. Same goes for most of bridge electronics.
>>
>>1811948
Yeah, provided that you have the brain and determination for it. Easier to do it on smaller vessels.
>>
This is beautiful. Life autobiography

https://youtu.be/l3_M5nxqRRw
>>
>>1812892
This is too real
>>
I know youre all academy fags but i need to know does MSC own you for years if they pay for your schooling? Im a wiper and was about to take my qmeds and they just offered to pay for my schooling and decided to do it even though i was planning on leaving for the unions within the year. Am i gonna get bullied mafia style for this if i try to leave? The school is only 5 grand so i could pay for it if it did come to that but i also wonder if i would end up getting shafted for more money somehow?
>>
>>1814311
Youll definitely be getting the shaft, arghhhhh matey
>>
Best pirate crew to sign on with? Do they know English?
>>
>>1814311
The way NOAA does it is that they’ll pay for the class, and upon completion you essentially start “paying back” the cost of the class with your time on the boat, I don’t know the specifics or how much time equals a certain dollar amount but you’re free to quit at any time, but if it’s before you’ve paid back the class with your time you’re on the hook for the remainder of the cost.
It may be similar with MSC since them and NOAA are both federal agencies. I know with NOAA I haven’t had to sign any paperwork stating that I’m required to be with the company for X years after completing the training.
Dig around or ask the chief engineer, they should have a detailed explanation of the program that they can print out with the exact policy
>>
File: 1612868847199.jpg (211 KB, 1273x1024)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
What was your first cadetship like?
>>
QMED, with 730 days in the engine room. I don’t think I want to cash out my seatime for a DDE 4000, but want to hop onto a bigger boat or rig, and learn something else or do more wrenching. Any suggestions?
Looking for 4 week hitches tops. Already worked between SoCal to Dutch, and wouldn’t mind a change of scenery.

Getting real sick of getting more deck work and less sleep, than a deckhand.
>>
File: jumbo.jpg (57 KB, 600x400)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
RIP Jumbo Floating Restaurant, capsized at sea

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hong-kong-iconic-jumbo-floating-182717151.html?guccounter=1
>>
>>1814822
At first got my ass shouted into proper shape, because i was a stubborn know it all. Once i got a proper attitude it went much better and had a great time since.
>>
>>1815269
Drone footage from the sinking:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aXStrxrGMtk
>>
>>1808580
Sorry you can't come aboard under better circumstances. But, with MSC they don't kick you off a ship. You can be there as long as you want until you put in for leave. So it might be the best option
If your ship goes to the yards or something you don't have to take leave. They'll just send you to a different ship.
>>
>>1808560
You're a retard though.
Only people on a ship who aren't sailors are cooks and supply.
>>1809758
Lol
>>
I work 6 months a year as a trainman and am wondering if I could work a few months in winter on boats. Can I do the training/schooling and then only accept jobs which don't conflict with my current one?
>>
>>1781841
How do i leave everything behind and live on a container ship?
>>
>>1816896
You can't.
>>
>>1781841
who else here is /onnawatch/?
currently bobbing around Bristol bay, on watch for the next 2 hours
>>
File: 1558116207215.jpg (4 KB, 295x171)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1541471360681234432
>>
>>1817902
On the ship you're basically fucked right? No way that you can close all air inlets before the poison gas gets into the systems
>>
>>1818065
Better steal one of the scba and scot air packs or an eebd and run for the life boat. Launch and motor the fuck outta there. Oh yeah better hope they dredged the channel if you got one of those free fall models. And better already have your coveralls on
>>
>>1816889
No. Stay off the water train chud
>>
>>1812226
Yea, this or the only gyro repeater is placed on the monkey deck with vertical ladder acces. Nobody touched it in years
>>
>>1789553
you are the deck/engine bitch and dont you forget it
>>
>>1817902
>251 injured
How?
>>
>>1818331
Maybe 20 tons of chlorine gas in the air?
>>
How is the job market for a simple European like me? Is it worth going to cadett school for 4 years (for free) today?
>>
Engine wagie bros what are we going to do when nuclear powered ships come out? Also how do i profit off international access to ports, hauling off machinery from decommissioned ships?
>>
>>1818724
That won't happen in this century.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.