[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 93 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 雪.jpg (130 KB, 1280x720)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
Akita Shinkansen 25th Anniversary Edition

Old Thread: >>1675297
>>
>>1758791
Official thread theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiFK8GEB-xU
>>
Is there anywhere that you can watch old episodes of Japan Railway Journal? I want to watch one from 2017, NHK's site only has episodes from 2021 to today, and most of the episodes on youtube have been taken down.
>>
>>1758829
There are a few episodes on nyaa.si, and most of them on a private tracker I'm on. What episode do you want maybe I can get it for you.
>>
File: KiHa 120-341.jpg (92 KB, 800x600)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
There are rumours surfacing that the 35.3 km section of the Oito Line between Minami-Otari and Itoigawa Stations operated by JR West might be axed and it will be under discussion between them, Niigata and Nagano Prefectures in March, that particular section of the line is JR West's third worst in ridership for 2020 (50 passengers/day/km) after Geibi Line between Toujou and Bingo-Ochiai (9) and Kisuki Line between Izumo-Yokota and Bingo-Ochiai (18) while having the worst revenue at 10 million Yen.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/9e5f028e5c1ee67ce89a16165b9f4524c32c3550
>>
How does one start on a JP railway autism journey?
>>
>>1759494
For me it was
>then-new chinkflu kills first ever Japan trip
>try to cope
>routing out various imaginary trips
>realize most of them include trains
>start watching front cab videos
>also pick up Geoguessr as another way of coping
>"wait I've seen this train before"(it was a JR Kyushu 811 series with Kagoshima Line livery, the one with repeating red-blue stripe)
>guess correctly
>"well I learned the phone area codes for Geoguessr, might as well try to pick up some more common train liveries"
And that's how I fell into the rabbithole. I don't even play Geoguessr anymore, but I'm still into trains, and I even got a bit into my local rail too.
>>
Continuing the conversation from last thread, which of Tokyo's rail bottlenecks do you think are fixable, and which will be difficult to fix? And not in the Japanese ちょっと難しいなぁ、しょうがない kind of way, but actually impracticable. Like turning the Nippori-Toneri Liner into heavy rail, or 15-car sets on the Yamanote, or quad-tracking the Keio or Toyoko Line.

> Odakyu

Extending the quadruple track section from Shimokita to Noborito was a good step forward, and sorely needed. However I wonder if there's enough demand to hav8e a middle express track as far as Shin-Yurigaoka (for Tama Line thru trains) or even Hon-Atsugi.

> Seibu

I'm kind of surprised that Seibu Line still has problems with congestion at Hibarigaoka, Shakujiikoen and Nerima despite the quadruple track section and connections to Yurakucho/Fukutoshin Line .

> Tozai. Chuo-Sobu, Keiyo, Rinkai

I don't see a way forward to reduce congestion on the east-west lines. 6 door cars aren't possible because of the anti-suicide platform edge doors; rolling stock with wider cars/doors (E233-5000/7000, E231-500, 15000 series) helped but didn't solve the core problem of capacity shortage.

Another option is to space out demand with flexible work schedules. Tokyo Metro ran pilot projects in 2017 and 2019, where Tozai Line commuters who took the train earlier in the morning earned points, but doing this long term would require a generational shift in Japanese work culture. There's still the expectation that everyone arrives at the office at 8am on the dot for group calisthenics, to sing the 社歌, etc. WeWork also tried to make flexible coworking space popular in Japan outside of Shinjuku and Shibuya, backed by SoftBank and MbS's billions, and we all know what happened.

Maybe quad-track Keiyo and have it run thru the Rinkai Line? But JR East would have to buy TWR to make it happen. And considering TWR is drowning in debt, I don;t see that happening anytime soon.
>>
And speaking of the Rinkai Line, here's another question. Japan has proven it can build high-capacity heavy rail lines under the JR umbrella. Why tf are there so many white elephant projects whose designs were basically "third-sector railways throwing うんこ on the wall and seeing what sticks, and accruing massive amounts of debt in the process"? Minatomirai, TX, AGT (Yurikamome/Oedo), rubber-tired trains (New Shuttle), useless monorails (Tama Toshin, Chiba, Tokyo Monorail, etc.) Rinkai itself was supposed to be for "World City Expo '96" in Odaiba, which got cancelled.
>>
>>1761271
New Shuttle, which was one of the earliest AGTs in Japan was built back in late 70s/early 80s as a means to appease the citizens living in the town of Ina north of Omiya (now City of Saitama). During the late 70s when the construction of Tohoku / Joetsu Shinkansen were underway there were a lot of civil unrest / protests regarding that. New Shuttle, Saikyo Line, and the 110 km/h operating speed between Omiya and Ueno were some of the things that came out of those protests.

>Why they were throwing shit on the wall and see what sticks
That's probably due to how ridership in certain areas most likely didn't justify heavy rail so they thought medium capacity alternatives might be sufficient, and for examples like TX/Oedo/Minatomirai digging stupidly deep are costly and caused quite a bit of delay (ie. TX opened in 2005 instead of the scheduled opening date of 2000).
>>
>>1759488
I very much wish I could visit Japan again just to ride these lines like I did in Hokkaido in 2016.
>>
>>1761268

Who or what is "MbS"? (srs.)
>>
>>1761294
Mainichi Broadcasting System, I suppose.
>>
>>1761268
>if there's enough demand to hav8e a middle express track as far as Shin-Yurigaoka
Not financially affordable for the company without land and funding.
>Maybe quad-track Keiyo and have it run thru the Rinkai Line?
If this has to be made more useful (assuming Sobu--Keiyo Line is not beneficial enough), ideally Yurakucho Line can be interconnected for through service, as in the historic roots; and even try to branch off Musashino Line to extend to Tobu Noda Line, replacing the Tozai Line interrunning concept.
>But JR East would have to buy TWR to make it happen. And considering TWR is drowning in debt
Something has to be sorted out with Haneda Airport Access Line seafront branch.

>>1761271
>Minatomirai
Was originally for JNR Yokohama Line. If either is not done, there will still be the Yokohama Circular Railway (Green Line).
>TX
What's shit about it?
>Yurikamome
It's also for local service along Shibaura and Odaiba. Tram is not popular at that time, and will have trouble with Rainbow Bridge.
>Oedo
The loop is not as bad as radial section.
>useless monorails
Overlapping, not useless.
>Tama Toshin, Chiba,
Hilly terrain and narrow roads do make monorail more attractive.
>Rinkai itself was supposed to be for "World City Expo '96"
The freight line is always going to be there. Will add passenger service sooner or later.
>>
>>1761545
>Haneda Airport Access Line seafront branch.
+ as well as see how they can be interfaced with the integrated Tsukuba Express southward extension.
>>
>>1761550
>Southward extension (towards Tokyo Station)

Does the area around there even have room or places deep enough for its extension without interfering with other existing underground inftrastructure?
>>
File: test.png (44 KB, 1289x663)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>1761379
>>1761379
MBS Media Holdings' total revenues for FY2020 were $520 million, with $135M cash on hand. I don't think that's enough to back WeWork considering its massive scale.

Furthermore, Japanese companies in traditional media like TV typically don't invest in international, horizontally-scaled startups, or tech-forward post-exit companies. TV Asahi and CyberAgent's AbemaTV being a notable exception.

Cash on hand (=現金及び預金): https://www.mbs-mhd.jp/pdf/statement/20210526.pdf#page=4
>>
>Imaging thinking JR Hokkaido will actually survive into 2050 to be carbon neutral

With that said from that PDF they are planning to replace the rest of the 721 Series EMU fleet by 2030 (the first replacements will happen by 2023~24 with more 733 Series EMUs for the Rapid Airport service) and are planning to use trains and buses powered by hydrogen fuel cells by mid 2030s.

https://www.jrhokkaido.co.jp/CM/Info/press/pdf/220209_KO_Carbon_neutral.pdf

>>1761635
MBS is also an acronym for mortgage backed security so it might be that instead
>>
>>1761561
Actually, a big reason why the Oedo Line cost so much was because other Eidan and Toei lines had been constructed, and there was no more room at shallower depths. Whatever space was left was occupied by public infrastructure like fiber optic cables, power lines, the flood control tunnels, etc. It also had to avoid the planned Tohoku Shinkansen tunnel between Ueno and Shinjuku.

As a good example of this, the deepest point on the Oedo Line is between Iidabashi~Hongo-sanchome~Kasuga at 49m(!) because there are at least four other subway lines occupying space nearby (Tozai, Marunouchi, Namboku, and Mita).

Final construction costs were 990 billion yen (~$10 billion today), of which 290 billion was interest-free loans from Tokyo Metropolis' general revenues, and the other 670 billion being long-term loans from DBJ, Fuji Bank/DKB (now part of Mizuho), etc. Original estimate was 560 billion yen.

The Oedo Line has a bit of a tragic history. It had been planned in the 70s but was put on hold due to the 1973 OPEC oil embargo (Japan has no oil and gas reserves and is completely dependent on imports). Diamond has an interesting article about the Oedo Line's history, and it's also where I got the numbers for Oedo Line debt. It doesn't explain why construction costs ballooned so much, however.

Cost overruns also occurred on the Seikan Tunnel and Tokyo Bay Aqua Line (with expressways around Kanto in general, actually).

Japan is lucky that 1) the vast majority of its debt is held within Japan (by comparison, about 30% of US public debt and 20% of Canadian public debt is held by other countries) and 2) inflation has been near-zero since 1991, or all that borrowing could have bitten them in the ass.

Further reading if you can read Nippon moonrunes:
https://diamond.jp/articles/-/239677
https://books.bizsci.net/railway2000/index.html
>>
>>1761638

> JR East and JR Hokkaido still trying to make FCVs happen when BEMUs are far more efficient

Toyota just can't get FCVs to work despite massive government backing. Who knows; fuel cells might not be the future for light duty vehicles, but maybe it'll work for trains

> MBS is also an acronym for mortgage backed security so it might be that instead

I believe it refers to Mohammad bin Salman, the p̶u̶p̶p̶e̶t̶m̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ crown prince of Saudi Arabia. Under MbS, Saudi has poured billions in oil money into the SoftBank Vision Fund that invested in WeWork. I think PIF, Saudi's sovereign wealth fund, invested ~$50 billion

I'm actually sort of pissed that SoftBank's failures and WeWork's collapse were completely unrelated to Jamal Khashoggi's murder.
>>
>>1761561
The depth should make it safeguarded. Only need to coordinate with Shin-Kyobashi Connector of Shutoko Yaesu Route towards Harumi Route (for undergrounding Inner Circular Route Nihonbashi secton, and retiring KK Route).
>>
>>1760535
For me a shitton of 205 series running in my country helps, and that makes me very interested of Japanese trains. Since chinkflu ruins my plan of going to Japan, watching videos at least satisfies me for now.
>>
>>1761638
If they do survive then decarbonisation will be easier considering all of the lines that I see them actually closing are non-electrified. The only runs that they'd need those hydrogen trains for that I see still being around and in JR Hokkaido instead of some 3rd sector are:
>Minami-Chitose - Obihiro, maybe further to Kushiro
>Higashi-Muroran - Oshamanbe(JR Hokkaido already said they're not keeping the Oshamanbe - Hakodate track, so it's either geting closed or more likely renationalised due to importance of freight to Hokkaido's economy)
>either Asahikawa - Furano or Takikawa - Furano(I don't see them keeping both)
>maybe Asahikawa - Nayoro
>>
JR West has officially announced its replacement of the JNR Era 381 Series Tilting EMU for its Ltd. Express Yakumo service between Okayama and Izumoshi. The 273 Series EMU will feature a new "onboard controlled passive tilt" system developed by Railway Technical Research Institute and Kawasaki using pre-existing route and curve data to control its tilting, and 11 4-car sets will be built (so -18 replacement cars compared to current fleet of 381 Series) by 2024. And starting from March 9th one of the 6-car 381 Series set will have its livery changed back to JNR limited express colors for two round trips per day.

https://www.westjr.co.jp/press/article/items/220216_03_yakumo.pdf

>>1762755
>Re-nationalize the section between Oshamanbe and Hakodate

So how would that actually work? And I doubt they would abandon the section between Obihiro and Kushiro either
>>
>>1763997

Yakumo comes from yakumo-tatsu, which literally means "eight-layered (=many) clouds rising" and is an Old Japanese word referring to Izumo Province, which is now the eastern part of Shimane Prefecture.

The thing I love about JNR/JR train names is that they're culturally related to the areas in which they operate. Private railways, especially in Tokyo, could learn a thing or two instead of going all wasei-eigo with their Limited Express train names. Revaty, Romancecar, S-TRAIN, TJ Liner, Skyliner, etc.

These are some of my favorite Limited Express names and the etymology behind them:

> Hatsukari (Ueno-Aomori until 1982): The first flock of wild goose in Tohoku during the fall

> Hakucho and Super Hakucho (Aomori-Hakodate via Seikan Tunnel): Swans, more specifically whooper swans and tundra swans that move between Hokkaido and Aomori

> Kounotori (Shin-Osaka to Fukuchiyama or Kinosaki Onsen): Oriental stork. There is a stork sanctuary and museum in Toyooka City on the Sea of Japan coast, where Kinosaki Onsen is also located.

> Azusa, former Super Azusa (Shinjuku-Matsumoto usually): Named after the Azusa River in Matsumoto, which is most likely named after the Chinese catalpa species of tree that can be found along riverbanks throughout Yamanashi and Nagano

> Kaiji (Shinjuku-Kofu): Named after the ancient Kai Road. Kai Province = current Yamanashi Prefecture. Edo Five Routes equivalent is the Koshu-kaido. The modern-day Chuo Line and Chuo Expressway run roughly parallel to the Koshu-kaido

> Ayame (Tokyo-Kashimajingu until 1994): Iris sanguinea, whose blooming in Ibaraki traditionally heralds the start of the summer rainy season (caused by the "Meiyu front"). There is a festival held every May-June in Kashima called called "Suigo Itako Ayame-matsuri"

> Hitachi (Shinagawa/Ueno-Iwaki; re-extended to Sendai in 2020): Old name for Ibaraki = Hitachi-no-kuni. Joban Line's name takes one kanji from Hitachi-no-kuni and Iwaki-no-kuni (modern-day Fukushima).
>>
>>1761674
>Toyota just can't get FCVs to work despite massive government backing.

So what had gone wrong for Toyota so far?

https://news.mynavi.jp/article/20220218-hybari/

>>1764070
>Going all wasei-eigo

The fact that I never understood what Revaty means until I just checked the Japanese Wikipedia page (and subsequently Tobu's own PDF on how they came with the name) on the Tobu 500 Series and found out it is a portmanteau of Variety and Liberty blew my mind. At least with Romancecar the term had been a thing since the 1920s until the 1950s when Odakyu made it popular to a point where that word is basically synonymous with them.
>>
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20220216/k10013487611000.html
JR West say 33% of their network have ridership less than 2000/day, will disclose the amount of money they are losing, hope it can persuade local government accept replacement by bus, taxi, LRT, etc.
>>1761268
TX, Chuo-Sobu, are adding extra train cars.
>>1761271
TX is supposed to be an alleviation of Joban line. Amid rapid increase in Tokyo's population causing mass influx of population. But the population influx slowed down, so new towns around TX couldn't get as much population as expected. And TX's high construction cost due to bubble economy era also caused high fare ans further suppressed ridership.
Oedo line just do what it do, build a metro line with minimal spec at least cost to transport people.
As for other "New Transportation System", their designed job is to replace the trams which were being ripped out en masses, without taking up roadspace like trams.
>>1762755
Freight is important but nobody seems to be willing to take up the financial responsibility and JR freight is already thinking about ordering ships that sail right into Tomakomai.
>>
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/1239f380361de0ee074b14e9926c514a3ae422ac
Also, Saga still insists Nishikyushu Shinkansen Saga segment to be done with FGT.
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/98b95e62b035706611a6573b84500d3635248206
While the constructed segment will open on September 23 in tine with holidays.

https://tabiris.com/archives/hokkaido-heikozairai202202/
Meanwhile in Hokkaido, Oshamembe and Niseko apparently want to abandon the parallel line before Shinkansen open up, thus that they can reuse the space to prepare for Shinkansen extension.

https://mainichi.jp/articles/20220205/k00/00m/020/086000c
On the other hand, Chuo Shinkansen.
Shizuoka City analysis say, despite Linear can connect intermediate stations to Tokyo in less than an hour, their station locations are far from town center, unlike Shizuoka, hence Shizuoka will still have superiority over them among stations that can access Tokyo in an hour.
On the other hand, Shizuoka governor say, in 2020 October, JR Central said, due to coronavirus pandemic and problem with power supply, they can no longer guarantee there will be more Hikari/Kodama for Shizuoka.
>>
>>1764663
>Also, Saga still insists Nishikyushu Shinkansen Saga segment to be done with FGT.

At this point he needs just to stop coping and realize that FGT will never be feasible due to its upfront/maintenance cost and figure out a practical solution to this
>>
>>1764817
From their eyes, those upfront and maintenance cost are JR's problem, contrary to Shinkansen fare scale, conventional service operational cost, and the Shinkansen construction cost, which will all be the problem of local government and local residents. So at the end it's a question of who pay for what.
>>
>>1764652
>Amid rapid increase in Tokyo's population causing mass influx of population.
*Amid rapid increase in Tokyo's population caused by mass population influx into Tokyo after WWII
>>
I'm asking here because this thread seems to have more activity than other rail threads. I'm applying at a position in a company and they mention that "knowledge of railways or other means of mass transit will be an advantage". What is a good way to tell them that I have some degree of train autism and I'm already familiar with some basic stuff?
>>
>>1765637
Too vague for me (outsider). Is it a technical, or business role? Knowledge of planning and construction, operations, or helping guide passenger?
>>
>>1765637
Think about how that company relates to railways and show them you know your shit as far as that is concerned.
>>
>>1765661
The title of the position is punctuality analyst, so it has to be something quite technical.

>>1765685
They want someone with a very STEM background which I have, but of course they ideally want someone that also knows stuff about trains and such. I've always been interested in trains and have a basic amateur knowledge about rail-related stuff, I just want to know what would be a good way to express this in the cover letter. Like should I say that I've played several train simulation videogames and regularly followed the news on rail topics?
>>
>>1765723
talk about cost of brand damage/late fines and how it compares with the savings possible by running a poorer service. show that while superficially possible to save by not delivering quality, it is a better option to deliver a great product long term. if you can use actual numbers from real life to do this, you'll get the job
>>
>>1765723
>punctuality analyst
In >>>/n/chad ?
>>
>>1765754
It's an entry position, they don't seem to expect any previous knowledge about the topic. This seems like something interesting to mention if I make it to the interview though.

>>1765757
What do you mean?
>>
>>1765792
>What do you mean?
Do you happen to be from German-speaking Europe?
>>
>>1765794
No, why?
>>
>>1765795
There are railway companies over there, that direly need a "punctuality analyst".
I have no idea, if they are actively looking for one, though.
They probably primarily want to know you know your maths and statistics and that you know enough about railways to be able to derive how to apply those correctly. There is way more to railways than what meets the eye even of an enthusiast, though. So state it, but don't try to make it sound like you were an expert on railways, because you are not.
>>
>>1765799
>I have no idea, if they are actively looking for one, though.
They are looking for a few actually, not just one.
>So state it, but don't try to make it sound like you were an expert on railways, because you are not.
"It"?
>>
>>1765806
>"It"?
"I'm an anorak." (No, don't do that.)
>>
>>1765811
Do you mean to simply mention some of my amateur experience with rail and trains in the cover letter?
>>
>>1765812
I'd make it clear, that you know railways.
That they aren't some unknown thing to you, you only see when at a crossing.
That you know the foundational concepts that govern them.
How far you want to go with exposing your nerdiness is up to you. That depends on company and position. You probably know that best.
>>
>>1765815
Well, I don't have that much nerdiness to expose to being with, so I guess I'll just write two or three sentences about that and be done with it.
>>
>>1765822
That should do it, yeah.
>>
>>1765825
Great. Some other suggestions for the interview aside from the balance between the savings and increased delays?
>>
File: jpeg.jpg (143 KB, 1240x775)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>1765637
>>1765723
>>1765792
>>1765795
>>1765806
>>1765812
>>1765822
>>1765827
>>
With the retirement of JR Kyushu's KiHa 66 series DMU, they will be selling used railway tracks from Omura Line along with seat number plates from the aforementioned DMUs starting on March 2nd and March 6th on a first come, first serve basis instead of the usual lottery based sale.

10mm Piece + Seat Number Plate (Short) w/ display case: 22,000 Yen @ 109 sets
10mm Piece + Seat Number Plate (Long) w display case/: 23,100 Yen @ 80 sets
430mm Piece + Seat Number Plate (Long): 39,600 Yen @ 10 sets

The pieces of tracks will be treated with anti-corrosion coating and according to the site the 430mm piece will weigh 17.5 kg (so around 38.6 lbs)

https://jrk-kyushutabi.shop/new/2022-02-25-140002.html
>>
Don't have time to translate unfortunately, but here's more doomposting, this time nationwide.
https://tabiris.com/archives/chiikimobility/
>>
>>1767402
RIP 田舎
The idea behind nation-wide railway companies is, that they finance the local lines using the profits they make on the money-printing main lines.
Fuck, isn't there even a section on that in the laws governing the JR companies with how JR Central has to pay support to the other JRs every year?
Where the fuck is that money going?

Usage numbers will obviously drop, since the few young people are fleeing the officially abandoned stretches of their country.
Making it more difficult to flee by completely fucking up local public transit won't stop that, but accelerate it even more.
>>
>>1767416
>inance the local lines using the profits they make on the money-printing main lines
You are only considering operating costs. The article points outs obsolete and vulnerable structures that needs reinvestment. If there is sufficient ridership, they will finance more, and take over infrastructure into public ownership.
>>
File: DEXDbljUMAA56qs.jpg (425 KB, 2048x1536)
425 KB
425 KB JPG
2022 diamond revisions have been out for some time. Anything spicy going on with JR Central/West, subways, private railways? I spent some time going through JR East's changes.

The biggest change is 209-3500 and E231-3000 going fully wanman. Since E233-0 still uses a conductor, Chuo-Rapid to Hachiko/Itsukaichi thru services are discontinued. These trips started with the Kawagoe Line's electrification in 1996 with the 201 series. RIP being able to see E233s alongside diesel trains. The GV-E400 did some testing on the diesel portion of the Hachiko Line back in September so hopefully it will get GNSS-capable rolling stock in the future.

Here are some of the other JR East revisions that got my attention:

> E7 rollout on Joetsu Shinkansen

> Yamagata/Akita Shinkansen switch to 100% reserved seating

> Various Tohoku Shinkansen and Azusa/Kaiji schedule modifications that I'm too lazy to describe in detail

> An additional Swallow Akagi trip on the Takasaki Line

> Shonan Liner trips to/from Shinjuku now stop at Osaki

> A handful of LtdExp trips (Shonan Liner, Azusa/Kaiji, Hitachi/Tokiwa) extended to Tokyo or Shinagawa in the case of Joban Line

> More N'EX trips stop at Chiba Station. 4->16/day EB and 3->13/day WB

> Joban Rapid trips to/from Ueno-Tokyo Line increased from 2tph to 3tph during midday

> Nambu Line gets Rapid service extended by an hour on weekends/holidays

> E131-500/600 series debut. Replaces 205-600 series on the Nikko Line/north Utsunomiya Line, and 205-500 series on the Sagami Line.

> 23 N'EX trips start/end at Shinjuku instead of Ikebukuro/Omiya

> EB Chuo-Sobu Local peak frequency from 23tph to 19tph
>>
>>1767875

>E7 rollout on Joetsu Shinkansen
Completing that rollout actually got delayed from the original planned 2020 timetable revision due to the flood in 2019 where 8 E7 and 2 W7 sets stationed in the Nagano Shinkansen Yard were flooded and got subsequently scrapped as a result. According to Rail Lab and Wikipedia it seems that JR East has just finished replacing the flooded sets at the end of last year too.

>23 N'EX trips start/end at Shinjuku instead of Ikebukuro/Omiya
Or more precisely N'EX will now end at Shinjuku (and the 2 roundtrips that start/end at Hachioji) so basically you have to transfer at Shinjuku if you want to go further along

For JR West it seems that they will replace the JNR Era 201 Series EMU with 221 Series EMU on Osaka Higashi Line, which is in-line to their plan to retire them by 2024. Looking at how JNR era trains are slowing getting phased out it is quite impressive that most of the KiHa 40 series DMU aren't in JR East and Central are still chugging along
>>
>>1767402
>close down low traffic lines
>those lines stop feeding the medium traffic lines
>those become low traffic lines instead
>close down low traffic lines
rinse and repeat. In the end you're just left with commuter lines and intercity trunk lines. Sad.
>>
>>1767875
The "Reddit" spacing is unreadable and cluttering, bro.
>>1767894
>N'EX will now end at Shinjuku
Ultimately might be more worthwhile to use those train paths for Haneda Access when Nishi-Yamate opens.
>>
>>1767894

For JR West it seems that they will replace the JNR Era 201 Series EMU with 221 Series EMU on Osaka Higashi Line, which is in-line to their plan to retire them by 2024.

JR West takes forever to retire old rolling stock. The Fukuchiyama Line ran 113 series (and 113-3800 on the medium-distance section) until 2008 when they were finally fully replaced by the 223-6000/223-5500 series. Until recently the Osaka Loop Line, Yamatoji Line, Osaka Higashi Line and JR Kyoto/Kobe Line were full of 103 and 201 series trains. It's surprising since JR West makes bank from the Sanyo Shinkansen. Meanwhile JR East has replaced rolling stock on high-capacity line every 15 years since privatization.
>>
File: JR East E217 Shonan.jpg (340 KB, 1200x800)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
>>1768163
>It's surprising since JR West makes bank from the Sanyo Shinkansen.
And whatever money they made from Sanyo Shinkansen probably goes to those extremely unprofitable rural lines in Hokuriku and San'in regions

>Meanwhile JR East has replaced rolling stock on high-capacity line every 15 years since privatization.

The fact that E217 Series on the Yokosuka Line managed to last for 20+ years before getting replaced by E235-1000 recently is pretty much a record, and given that they are currently being scrapped (11 11-car sets and 12 4-car sets so far by 2022/01) the rumors about KCI buying them in previous threads might not have panned out unless KCI is only buying some of them.
>>
File: 20220106_163515.jpg (762 KB, 2517x1888)
762 KB
762 KB JPG
I moved to Japan a couple of months ago.

What are some places I should go to that have cool trains and good train watching spots?
>>
>>1768597
Is the weather better than back in SEA?
>>
>>1768163

113 series was on the Tokaido Line from 1964-2006. The cars were refurbbed in 1989 and 2-story green cars were added.

115 series from 1963 until 2001 (Takasaki Line) or 2004 (Utsunomiya Line)

To a lesser extent, 103 series on the Chuo-Sobu Local, 1979-2001.

And, JRW has gotten a lot better at updating rolling stock. 225-100/5100 (JR Kyoto/Kobe Line and Hanwa Line), 227-0 (Hiroshima) and -1000 (Nara/Wakayama), 323 series on the Osaka Loop Line. They also recently ordered 144 more 225-100 cars for the Kyoto/Kobe Line which will have LED signage, multilanguage displays, wifi, etc.
>>
>>1768717
Well, those are JNR Era rolling stocks which served a lot longer than the JR East era trains as he implied since those usually served for around 10~15 years before being shortened and moved to elsewhere to replace even older train sets in the more rural regions.

>JRW
They are also planning to replace the 2 and 3-car 115 Series sets stationed in Okayama Yard with EMUs based on the 227 Series as well in 2023. (101 cars will be built with a mix of 2 and 3-car sets so it should be an one to one replacement)

https://www.westjr.co.jp/press/article/items/211118_06_new.pdf
>>
>>1767875
>>1767991

Rewrote anon's post to make it more readable. Also added some changes for accuracy

-E7 rollout on Joetsu Shinkansen, delayed from 2020 due to Typhoon Hagibis destroying all those E7 sets

-Yamagata/Akita Shinkansen switch to 100% reserved seating

-All JRE Shinkansen lines get major schedule reductions, with some regular services turned into seasonal ones

-Kaiji No. 2 (Ryuo 0712~Shinjuku 0904) now leaves Ryuo 14 minutes earlier, arriving at Shinjuku @ 0842. Commuting from Kofu into Tokyo seems like a nightmare IMO, even from Otsuki is a stretch.

-Shonan No. 6 and multiple Azusa/Kaiji trips extended to Tokyo Station

-Various other Azusa/Kaiji schedule modifications that I'm too lazy to describe in detail.

-Two late night trains (Ome No. 3 and Hachoji No. 7) leave Tokyo Station 15 minutes later. Hachoji No. 9 discontinued to due to low ridership

-An additional Swallow Akagi trip on the Takasaki Line

-Limited Express Shonan trips to/from Shinjuku now stop at Osaki

-Hitachi/Tokiwa trips extended to Shinagawa via Ueno-Tokyo Line. Joban Rapid also runs between Ueno~Shinagawa every 20 mins midday, up from 30 mins

-More N'EX trips stop at Chiba Station. 4->16/day EB and 3->13/day WB

-Nambu Line gets Rapid service extended by an hour on weekends/holidays

-E131-500/600 series debut. Replaces 205-600 series on the Nikko Line/north Utsunomiya Line, and 205-500 series on the Sagami Line.

-No more E231/E233s north of Utsunomiya. This affects 1529E, 528M (->622M/1535E), 1549E inbound; and outbound, 1622E plus the early morning 625M/627M between Utsunomiya and Kuroiso. In addition, 534M Kuroiso~Ueno has been reduced to 626M Kuroiso~Utsunomiya only, and 538M is truncated to Utsunomiya

-All N'EX thru trains will run to/from Shinjuku only; no more trips to Ikebukuro, Omiya, Hachioji or Yokohama

-EB Chuo-Sobu Local peak frequency from 23tph to 19tph

-Sagami-Yokohama Line thru service discontinued

-Additional E235-1000 series sets in service
>>
File: CrgBuwRUIAAKacL.jpg (190 KB, 1024x764)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>1768751

>No more E231/E233s north of Utsunomiya.

It was cool how you could see DC E233 trains and AC Sendai area trains at the same station. Such a shame. RIP.
>>
>>1768751
>>1768755
This also means JR East's current longest local train (Atami <> Kuroiso, which is 268.1 km long and it takes 4 hours and 47 minutes to complete the trip) will no longer be the longest after the revision since the distance between Atami and Utsunomiya will only be 214.3 km compared to the one between Takao and Nagano (245 km taking 4 hours and 44 minutes)
>>
>>1763997
>The 273 Series EMU will feature a new "onboard controlled passive tilt"
This is one of the most pointless innovations ever. Just fit it with active tilting ffs.
>>
>>1767416
>The idea behind nation-wide railway companies is, that they finance the local lines using the profits they make on the money-printing main lines.
>Fuck, isn't there even a section on that in the laws governing the JR companies with how JR Central has to pay support to the other JRs every year?
>Where the fuck is that money going?
As the article pointed out, corona have killed this amount of money, now even Shinkansen and urban rail line are on life support, thus no extra money can be set aside to support those rural lines.
Even Yamanote line have to cut its mid-day headway to 5 minutes.
Also, subsidizing local lines with Shinkansen isn't exactly a good option, as that would exclude Japan from the European trend of "low cost high speed rail", which attract more passengers onto HSR from other modes by suppressing the cost and thus the fare, and would end up benefiting much more people. The upcoming opening of Hokkaido Shinkansen Sapporo segment highlight the problem with anticipated ~23000 Yen fare. So far Japan have avoided the problem due to having enough people to willing to pay for the premium but pack the Tokaido Shinkansen trains, but in the future it might no longer be the case, as JR Central reportedly said that, due to coronavirus pandemic suppressed demand, as well as Japan's general power supply situation, it is no longer the easy time where one can simply say increase the number of Hikari and Kodama train stopping at Shizuoka after shifting Nozomi passengers to Chuo Shinkansen.
https://mainichi.jp/articles/20220205/k00/00m/020/086000c
>>
>>1768751
>Kaiji No. 2 (Ryuo 0712~Shinjuku 0904) now leaves Ryuo 14 minutes earlier, arriving at Shinjuku @ 0842. Commuting from Kofu into Tokyo seems like a nightmare IMO, even from Otsuki is a stretch.
It's not for commuting, but rather for people who need to reach Tokyo early in the morning, be it for business at CBD or for catching flights at airport. People along Chuo Main Line have long complained the first train arrive Shinjuku only around 9am, much later than first limited express train on other lines and the reason JR East keep denying earlier departure time on the line was that Chuo Main Line is capacity limited, especially between Tachikawa and Shinjuku during morning peak hour that they cannot fit an earlier express train in. The reduction in number of trains even during peak time probably allowed them to move the schedule slightly upward to meet this long sought after demand.
>>
>>1768765

What are the explanations for the other Chuo Line changes?

https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2021/hachioji/20211217_hc01.pdf
>>
>>1768757
>>1768757

There was a night train that went all the way from Shinjuku to Matsumoto until 1992 I think. It took 6 hours, 32 minutes. Just, why? Interurban trains on the Chuo Line actually ran to/from Shinjuku until December 1993, when the terminus was moved to Takao.

To my knowledge, local trains only ran Shinjuku~Kofu or Kofu~Matsumoto, but I would not at all be surprised if there was a local Shinjuku~Matsumoto train in the daytime. I wonder how JR East managed to get into Nagano Prefecture anyway. Shouldn't the Shinonoi Line be part of JR Central?

The longest trip on a private railway doesn't even come close to the absolute units that are JR East intercity trains. Tobu's Revaty Aizu from Asakusa to Aizu-Tajima is 190.7 km and takes 3 hours, 39 minutes. If the Hibiya Line had gotten standardized 20m cars, the Revaty trains could have gone Aizu-Tajima~Kita-Senju~Naka-Meguro~Kikuna or even onto the Minatomirai Line. (Although I'm not sure the Toyoko Line has the capacity to accomodate them.)

I wonder why the Aizu Railway doesn't go to Aizu Wakamatsu? Isn't the town a big tourist attraction? And Tobu is all about tourist attractions (Nikko, Kinugawa, Tobu World Square/Tobu Zoo, plus Kawagoe on the Tojo Line)
>>
>>1768780
>Shouldn't the Shinonoi Line be part of JR Central?
Nope since the Boundary Station that separates the Chou East and West Lines between the two companies are at Shiojiri Station, and since Shinonoi Line is in the Nagano Prefecture north of the station that line belongs to JR East.

>I wonder why the Aizu Railway doesn't go to Aizu Wakamatsu? Isn't the town a big tourist attraction?
Pretty much all the trains on Aizu Railway do have Aizu-Wakamatsu Station as the terminus, but the majority of the line isn't electrified (only 15.4 km section of the line between Aizukogen-Oze-Guchi and Aizu-Tajima are electrified in 1990) so transferring is pretty much required to complete the journey and I highly doubt Fukushima Prefecture would want to spend money to electrify the rest of the line (Tobu only owns ~2% of Aizu Railway compared to its 20% stake of Yagan Railways).
>>
>>1768762
>Japan's general power supply situation
Wait a second, Japan is troubled in that segment as well?
Googling 電力不足 gave me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9uMRXXFGfI
I guess the after-effects of Fukushima on nuclear power and the sharply rising prices for liquid gas fuck everything up for them?
How is this not a bigger topic in Japanese news?
>>
>>1768776
Reduced demand amid the pandemic. Hence they need to cut train shorts, reduce the number of trains in operation to cut cost, and increase number of stops hoping to attract more riders. Same as all other limited express changes everywhere across JR network.
>>1768823
Nuclear is just one aspect. They are reopening nuclear plants yet situation isn't improving. This is not a short tern phenomenon so recent increase in market price is not cause of it. This is not a bigger topic yet because power companies can still keep up with 3% redundancy and avoid blackout by using measures like inter-region power sharing, delaying nuclear power plant regular maintenance to lower demand seasons, and restarting old and retired coal power plants which emit more pollutants.
A reason being attributed as cause of power shortage is Japan's advance toward renewable energy generation. Which naturally out-compete old fossil fuel plans and forced fossil fuel plants to close down. But renewables are affected by weather, like when snowstorm hit, solar panels and wind turbines are unlikely to generate much electricities due to clouded sky and high wind speed, and Japan is small, smaller than US East/West grid, smaller than European grid, and even smaller than Texas grid, so load balancing from other regions cannot be done. Japan itself is also divided into multiple grids, East Japan and West Japan have different frequency, and connection between different islands with undersea power cable are also not unlimited in capacity, making it impossible to draw power from elsewhere not affected by adverse weather. And thus the high energy demand during adverse weather cannot be matched by reduced renewable energy generation capacity. The Japanese government have tried to create a new capacity market to pay for maintaining excess reserve power generation capacity, yet the execution of the plan appears to be faulted.
>>
Do you have 700,000 Yen to burn? For the "150 Years of Japan Railways" celebration, JR Group has decided to release a "JR Complete Platform Tickets" collection, which includes magnetic platform tickets for all 4,368 stations within the JR Group and 6 binders. The tickets are valid from October 14th, 2022 until March 31st, 2023 and 250 sets are available.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/150th-nyujyoken/ (Website and sale won't open until April 1st)
https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2021/20220302_ho01.pdf
>>
>>1769833
>for all 4,368 stations
Even for those without ticket gates?
That sounds like something a few retards may actually buy just for those.
>>
What do you think some of the worst train commutes in Tokyo are? The worst I've heard are Chiba-Tobitakyu, Odawara-Ikebukuro, and Koenji-Tokyo Teleport on commuter lines; and from Shizuoka or Gunma to Tokyo via Shinkansen. Apparently, housing in Tokyo is so expensive, that the Tohoku Shinkansen deploys double-decker cars to serve megacommuters.
>>
File: JRWest_series225_Wi-Fi.jpg (240 KB, 1200x900)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>1768717

Just one correction: Only 225-5000 series (Hineno depot) has Wi-fi, as a courtesy to overseas travelers going to/from Kansai Airport.

I've heard the -5100 series also has wi-fi, but I couldn't find a photo of the wi-fi sticker anywhere.
>>
File: KuMoHa224-5101 Wifi.jpg (385 KB, 1704x1112)
385 KB
385 KB JPG
>>1769935
Given that there are 4430 stations total for all six JR Groups (including 50 BRT stations since JR East included those), so I'm curious as to whether they will include any seasonal stations with no regular service or ones that will be abandoned in the upcoming timetable revision

>>1770424
>And from Shizuoka or Gunma to Tokyo via Shinkansen. Apparently, housing in Tokyo is so expensive, that the Tohoku Shinkansen deploys double-decker cars to serve megacommuters.

Given that the E4 Series has been officially phased out and there are no replacements for those double-deckers were built I guess that the demand might no longer be there anymore.

>>1770502
Ironically it is in the JP Wikipedia page
>>
>>1770424
>What do you think some of the worst train commutes in Tokyo are?
Aoba (New Game main character)'s commute
>>
Anyone know, was there ever any through trains fron Banetsu East Line to Banetsu West Line?
>>
>>1770572
In general, there is no such train between 2 sides of Japan.
>>
>>1767187
holy shit is that just me or is that ridiculously expensive for a tiny piece of track
>>
File: thankyou_e4max_logo_l.png (24 KB, 600x300)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>1770924
There have been local trains between Tokyo and Tohoku, but I know that's not exactly what you mean. Locomotive changes at Utsunomiya and Kuroiso for outbound trips, at Kuroiso only for inbound trips.

121レ Ueno 04:58~Koriyama 11:40, EF57/EF58/ED71
123レ Ueno 10:40~Ichinoseki 22:42, EF57/EF58/ED75
125レ Ueno 15:57~Fukushima 22:45, EF57/EF56/ED71
122レ Fukushima 6:50~Ueno 13;07, ED71/EF56
124レ Sendai 6:45~Ueno 15:46, ED71/EF57
126レ Sendai 12:58~Ueno 22:45, ED75/ED58

They were abolished in the Gosantoo diamond revision in March 1978, which standardized the Tohoku Main Line timetable as a response to passenger/freight traffic congestion, due to continued delays in Tohoku Shinkansen construction.

>>1770424
The E1 and E4 MAX have long since been retired. In the 80s when Tokyo real estate prices were out of control (85 million yen/tsubo in Ginza 5-chome or ~$25,000/sf today) a lot of salarymen commuted all the way from Sendai or Niigata out of necessity, but after 30 years of economic stagnation Tokyo has become a lot cheaper. The trendy areas like Daikanyama, Naka-Meguro, Shimokita and Kichijoji are bloody expensive, but if you go to Nerima or any of the suburban sprawl in Chiba or Saitama (like Ichikawa or Urayasu) it's relatively affordable. Since the 90s, huge public housing developments have been built along the waterfront in Koto and Edogawa, as well as in Tama/Kawasaki. Considering the population boom in Koto, it's a shame that Tokyo Metro dragged its feet for so long on building the Yurakucho Line extension, to finally give the ward a north-south line. But I digress.

Anyway, JRE switched from a strategy of raw capacity to convenience through faster, more frequent trains. Thus introducing the faster E5 series in 2010 and finally upgrading the Utsunomiya~Morioka section to 300 km/h.
>>
In some ways, the Tohoku/Joetsu Shinkansen's switch from less frequent high-capacity to lower capacity but more frequent trains is similar to how Japanese domestic aviation underwent right-sizing in the 90s and 2000s.

30 years ago, Japanese airports were physically constrained. Many were were former IJAAF bases and thus close to city centres, which meant they were surrounded by urban expansion and had to obey strict noise curfews. Limited slots at airports forced JAL/ANA to fly 747s, DC-10s and MD-11s domestically to maximize revenue. Several factors changed this strategy.

1. In 1985, JAL was privatized and ANA was allowed to fly international routes (starting with NRT-GUM in March 1986). New domestic competitors like Skymark, FDA and Panasia Airlines were introduced.

2. New airports were built either to supplement or replace aging hubs, many of which were former IJAAF bases. New Chitose, Kansai, Chubu, Kobe, Kitakyushu, etc. All but CTS were offshore, which meant 24-hour operation and less exposure to inclement weather (fog has been a problem at FUK for decades).

3. JR Central implemented noise dampening on the Tokaido Shinkansen, increasing Shin-Yokohama~Shin-Osaka speeds from 220 km/h to 270. In 1985, the fastest Tokyo~Shin-Osaka Hikari took 3h10m. The Nozomi, introduced in 1992 on the new 300 series, shaved 40m off. JRC increased Nozomi service to hourly in March 1993 and half-hourly in October 2001, to win back market share from airlines.

(Continued because lol2000chars)
>>
>>1771240

4. The LDP doubled down on airline liberalization with Abe's "Third Arrow" policy. LCC flights were legalized, Haneda got an international terminal, Narita got the LCC-only T3, both Tokyo airports got more runways, and noise curfews were reduced in the run up to the Olympics/Expo 2025. Both domestic (Peach, Solaseed, Air Do) and foreign (AirAsia, Jetstar) LCCs were using the Southwest model of smaller, more efficient twinjets, quick turnaround time, and high daily utilization. Which leads into...

5. Fuel prices. Due to the U.S.'s erm..."adventures" in the Middle East, and also the rapid growth of emerging economies in Latin America and Asia, the price of WTI crude oil had risen from $20/bbl (2022 US$) in 1972 to hovering around $40-45/bbl by the mid-80s. Oiiq is a commodity traded on the global market, after all, and geopolitical instability can drastically affect its price as thrast two weeks have shown. Japan has no oil or natural gas reserves of its own and is 100% dependent on imports.

Why does this matter? Well, the old domestic 3/4-holers use engines from the 1960s and 70s, which are inefficient. Short domestic flights mean more frequent flight cycles, and those changes in pressure can wear out an aircraft. Boeing famously had to make significant modifications to the 747SR and 747-400D, such as removing winglets. Smaller twinjets like the 737NG and A320neo can handle the high number of cycles and are cheaper to both fly and maintain.

This is why a route like HND-CTS or HND-ITM, which used to use a handful of 3/4-holers per day, are now every 60 or even 30 minutes on narrowbodies, or if higher capacity is needed, JAL uses 787s and A350s domestically while ANA just uses 787s. From raw capacity to frequency and efficiency.

The same thing happened to the Tohoku/Joetsu Shinkansen. From double-decker MAX to more frequent trips on faster E5/E6 series trains.
>>
>>1768765

> the reason JR East keep denying earlier departure time on the line was that Chuo Main Line is capacity limited, especially between Tachikawa and Shinjuku during morning peak hour

I heard Ueno~Omiya is also capacity constrained, especially with Shonan-Shinjuku and Ueno-Tokyo Line trains, so JRE can't add any more trains on the Utsunomiya Line or Takasaki Line from Ueno. Before COVID there were 12tph between Akabane and Omiya during midday, and apparently the bottleneck was limiting Keihin-Tohoku and Saikyo Line expansion as well, which explain why peak pre-Rona Saikyo congestion was stubbornly high, 183%.

But that may have more to do with Saikyo and Shonan-Shinjuku Line trains sharing tracks between Omiya and Osaki. I know Shibuya is currently building new Saikyo Line platforms where the old Tokyu station used to be.
>>
>>1771366
mid day frequency have nothing to do with peak hours crowdness tho, and even Yamanote line is now getting their mid day frequency reduced to 12tph
>>1771240
The most major reason behind Japanese airlines rightsizing is because of the opening of Narita, Kansai International, New Chitose, and Chubu Centair, which adds a lot of capacity, in additional to the extension of Shinkansen network which reduced local flight demand as well as the burst of bubble economy which reduced international flight demand.
Offshore airports allowing 24 hours operation helps but that's mainly for freighters overnight and thus the effect to passenger aircraft are still mainly increase in capacity
The Osaka Itami Airport banning quad and 3 engine jets can also be said as contributing to their rapid phase out in Japan domestic market.
>>1771251
What you described about Narita and Haneda, are again reflection of increase in capacity, thus allowing airlines to rightsize their aircraft, that they are now even doing away with large twins like 777 on domestic service. That LCC are allowed to enter is only a byproduct to the capacity expansion.

As for increase in fuel price, the 1973 oil crisis was due to Arabic countries war with Israel, where Western countries including Japan, were being sanctioned by Arabic countries for the West's support on Israel. The crisis have worldwide effect and it have barely anying to do with whatever US military actions. And aircraft like 747-400 were developed long afyer the crisis, that risk of high energy price have long been accepted as norm internationally.

These factors have barely anything to do with Shinkansen retiring double deckers, which is a result of simply lack of demand.
>>
>>1771691
>These factors have barely anything to do with Shinkansen retiring double deckers, which is a result of simply lack of demand.

Can't forget that they are now simply too slow (240 km/h) compared to the non-double deckers as well (260 km/h for E7, 275 km/h for E2 and 300+km/h for E5/6/8) as they'd make scheduling a bit more difficult. There's a reason why JR Central retire the 0/100 Series as fast as they could as they ramped up production for the 700 Series during the late 90s/early 2000s since their top speed of 220~230 km/h is just too low compared to everything else that had a speed of 270 km/h
>>
>>1772297
If there were demand they could simply build new, more powerful doubledeckers, maybe even in 16M0T configuration.
Nowadays not even Tokaido Shinkansen need this.
>>
>>
>>1773731
What a literally shit post. Absolute misleadingly taken out of the context in the earthquake.
>>
>>1773731
Big earth quake and a tsunami.
Live: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/live/index.html
>>
>>
>>
Otaru City website used to publish monthly Hokkaido Shinkanen tunneling progress updates but I lost the link, does anyone have it?
>>
>>1774129
>>1774130
Here's the summary of the damages according to JR East

https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2021/20220318_ho02.pdf

Given that it took 81 days (Hanshin in 1995), 66 days (Chuuetsu in 2004), and 49 days (Tohoku in 2011) after their respective earthquakes to restore service in full I wonder how long it'd take for them this time around

>>1774766
There's another one from Shiribeshi as well since that one is a lot less difficult to search and most of information are provided by JRTT anyway.

https://www.shiribeshi.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/ts/tss/kojishinchokujokyo.html
>>
>>1774832
It's practically the same document as the Otaru one, thanks.
>>
It's kinda sad how the longest single day Seishun 18 Kippu trip has gotten nerfed because of the coof.
>2020
>longest trip is Oiso(Kanagawa) - Yatsushiro(Kumamoto), 1282km
>2021
>Moonlight Nagara is discontinued
>longest trip is Chibaminato(Chiba) - Kokura(Fukuoka), 1168km
>2022
>New Rapid trains no longer start from Maibara outside of rush hours
>The 0:04 train that got you from Chibaminato to Tokyo now ends at Shin-Narashino
>longest trip is Takamatsu(Kagawa) - Fukushima(Fukushima), 1077km
Hokuriku Shinkansen's Tsuruga extension and subsequent 3rdsectorisation of Hokuriku Line cutting Kanazawa off won't help it's reach either.
>>
>>1775737
Let's be realistic: The JRs couldn't give less of a fuck than they do.
I'm more worried about the Souya Main Line in that context anyway.
Wakkanai holds a special place in every Japanese rail enthusiast's heart, but to the JRs it's an apparently fruitless endeavor.
>>
>>1775737
Speaking of Hokuriku Shinkansen, here's a tour of Komatsu station build site:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBXQC-01IsM
Also related but further south, here's a video of an event in the Shin-Omura Shinkansen depot, including a tour of the first Kamome that will be serving Nagasaki Shinkansen from September.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Olr8A9Ipqo
>Suits is now so big that instead of media pass, they gave him a staff pass
>>
JR East aims to fully restore service for the Tohoku Shinkansen around April 20th with the sections between Koriyama and Fukushima by April 2nd plus Sendai and Ichinoseki by April 4th.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2021/20220321_ho01.pdf

They will also remove the light meal + drinks service from Gran Class seats for Hokuriku Shinkansen's Hakutaka starting on October 1st, 2022 due to lack of demand and the Gran Class surcharge will be reduced for the adjustment

https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2021/20220322_ho01.pdf

>>1776156
>The Omura Shinkansen Yard and a N700S Kamome set were open to the press and public

The gold Kamome logo + black backing in the front makes the train looks like it has a dog nose
>>
>>1775737

I assume Shiki Shima is not eligible for Seishun 18 or Japan Rail Pass?
>>
Want to kms but can't until I ride the Chuo Shinkansen.
>>
>>1778094
Yes, doubly even.
>it counts as an express train
>excursion trains have their own reservation system instead of normal tickets anyway
>>
>>1778201 (me)
I meant doubly for 18kippu, you obviously can ride express trains on JR Pass(but not excursion trains)
>>
>>1778094
>Seishun 18
Is a 乗車券 for 普通列車. Except for special places like the Seikan Tunnel you need to buy an extra 乗車券 (in addition to the 特急券) in order to be able to ride a 特急列車.
I think this video illustrates it pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_23OFIka-4
>>
>>1778233
>Seikan Tunnel
>特急列車
Hokkaido Shinkansen opened in 2015 slowpokechama, but you are correct in that you need to buy an extra ticket for it(and the 3rd-sectored line from Kikonai to Hakodate)
That said, there's four sections where you can use Seishun 18 to take a non-reserved seat of a 急行 or 特急
>Shintoku - Shin-Yubari
>Miyazaki - Miyazaki Airport
>Sasebo - Haiki
>Aomori - Shin-Aomori
First two have zero local trains, third technically does have some but you could be waiting up to 8 hours for one(but then why not Saiki - Nobeoka with it's one 5AM local train per day each way?), and I think the last one is a leftover from pre-Hokkaido Shinkansen times since it has plenty local trains.
>>
>>1778311
>Saiki - Nobeoka with it's one 5AM local train
Actually, they did add two more locals in the newest timetable, see pic related(red are express trains, black are local trains)
t. [spoiler]I have a friend in Miyazaki and I'm hoping Japan opens for summer so we can go on a trip together[/spoiler]
>>
>>1778311
>Hokkaido Shinkansen opened in 2015 slowpokechama
Sure, but Shinkansen trains are also counted as 特急列車.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/特別急行列車#新幹線列車の扱い
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bpFnDFkSGE
Otaru agree Otaru-Yoichi section to be abandoned for buses, citing 20 billion yen losses, effectively signing death certificate for the section. Yoichi also agreed considering buses if sufficient capacity can be provided (Which have already been shown to only need 1 additional bus even at the current ridership level)
>>
>>1778311
>Miyazaki - Miyazaki Airport
>Doesn't have local trains between them

I'm pretty sure they do exist in addition to Hyuuga / Nichirin services that goes to the airport as Shintoku <> Shin-Yubari is the only one on that list that has zero local trains between them.

>>1778436
>Cumulated 21.6 Billion Yen in losses

Is that throughout privatizion? According to Tabiris if they continue rail service between Yoichi and Otaru they would lose around 500 million Yen a year.
>>
>>1778829
The regular metric used in parallel conventional line financial performance calculation is until 30 years after localization, aka FY2030-FY2060.
>>
https://tabiris.com/archives/hisatsu235/
>Hisatsu line restoration from 2020 flood damage estimated to cost 23.5 billion yen
>450 unique damaged locations on the 87km stretch from Yatsushiro to Hitoyoshi
>including two bridges washed away and needing to be built again from scratch
>many are now questioning it as the line was already in the red
No official decision from JR Kyushu yet, but it's probably not coming back, and I wouldn't be surprised if JR Kyushu tried to give away the Hitoyoshi to Yoshimatsu section to Kumagawa Railroad while they're at it.
>>
File: hai.png (1.76 MB, 1920x1080)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB PNG
>>1776156
>Suits is now so big that instead of media pass, they gave him a staff pass
>>
>>1780388
>H. Fujita
Intradesting.
>>
>>1780396
He actually revealed his name in the most densha-ota way possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r66dr312LZQ
>>
Lmao I randomly clicked on this board wtf is this place? You niggers discuss train services? Anyway I took the gran class to hokkaido last year was quite good. Thinking about taking it down to Kyushu from Tokyo if it's available. What a funny board lol
>>
>>1779131
>鉄道での復旧が前提になっているよう
They are asking for more one-off and long-term government finance.

>>1780447
Train time to Fukuoka (only northern part) will take nearly as long as Sapporo when the latter opens initially. Green class is not as luxurious than Gran, less of a step up from standard class. Best to split the journey if you don't insist on riding in one-seat. Visit somewhere at a stop in between, and even change trains to try out the more comfortable Osaka--Kagoshima through service cabin with 2+2 ordinary reserved seating by JR West -- JR Kyushu.
>>
>>1780388
>>1780396
>>1780421
>藤田裕人
Hiroto or Hirohito. The bets are off...
>>
>>1780388
He actually got the gig out of Furusato Nozei (Hometown Tax), so for this particular gig Suit basically "donated" 300,000 Yen to the City of Kofu, Yamanashi for this one.

https://www.jreastmall.com/shop/e/efkofusm/
https://www.city.kofu.yamanashi.jp/kikaku-somu/shise/kifu/oen.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hometown_tax

>>1780738
It's Hiroto, he even showed the name in katakana on the insurance card.
>>
What the hell happened to Hyperdia? This is useless for figuring out train itineraries now.
>>
>>1781010
They probably decided that paying for timetable data from some 3rd party isn't worth the money anymore and are assuming the rep they've built up over the years with EOPs as "THE site to check for transit in Japan" is enough to stay alive, even without most useful data.
English Jorudan sucks ass, but for anyone that has yomichan and doesn't have some dubnigger phobia of moonrunes I recommend their Japanese site, it's easy enough to use.
>>
File: jr_station_clock.gif (91 KB, 500x325)
91 KB
91 KB GIF
Something appears to have completely broken with the JRs...
https://www.fnn.jp/articles/-/314914

Now they want to remove the clocks from stations to save on maintenance cost.
At this point I'm seriously starting to worry about the future of Japanese railways.
>>
>>1781745
Oof. Might be a smoothbrain take but I don't care, nationalization was a huge mistake. It feels like we're well into the late capitalism stage, cut anything and everything you possibly can in pursuit of good quarterly numbers.
>>
>>1781745
It is partially understandable: You do not want to have clocks showing the wrong time at all, so you have to maintain them, which in Japan probably means folding the arms 10'000 times every 1st of the month before the first train runs, thus creating 300'000'000 yen in expenses.
One still wonders how a current-day JNR would look like.
>>
>>1781772
You could have that for cheap by switching from the (in Japan probably still prevalent) master-clock system to an NTP-based system with automated reporting.
No need to remove even a single clock nationwide as it wouldn't save any money.
>>
>>1781759
The whole point of the privatization was to push backlash from closing deficit lines away from reputations of politicians.
>>1781086
English Jorudan actually improved a lot late last year, but I agree that by now anyone with any interest in anything even remotely Japanese should've at least started learning moonrunes.
>>
>>1783158
>The whole point of the privatization was to push backlash from closing deficit lines away from reputations of politicians.
I thought it was to get out of having to pay pensions, which I thought was one of the biggest reasons for JNR being constantly in the red. But I can definitely believe political reputations were also a factor.
>>
>>1781745
Not a problem if they show time on departure boards. LCD or LED displays could support an analog clock face, if not only digital on dot matrix
>>
>>1783176
Doesn't look like it:
>携帯電話・スマートフォンなどの普及によって、多くのお客さまがご自身で時間を確認する手段をお持ちであること
They think, with everyone having a smart phone those clocks were superfluous. Also
>お客さまにはご不便をおかけすることもあるかと存じますが、ご理解をいただけますよう、お願い申し上げます。
Short: "Fuck you."
>>
>>1783182
>ご理解をいただけますよう、お願い申し上げます。
>learning moonrunes
>I finally get where the "[...], plis andastand" /vt/ meme comes from
Feels good man.
>>
>>1783182
Don't worry, once the current displays reach their end of life they can replace them with newer displays that will show you a clock between ads.
>>
>>1783481
Does English not have that?
In German we have "Wir bitten um Ihr Verständnis." (make sure it's "Ihr", not "ihr", or else...), which is practically a 1:1 of "ご理解をいただけますよう、お願い申し上げます。"
>>
JR East has announced that Tohoku Shinkansen will resume service on April 14th, but there will be service reductions and speed reductions between Koriyama and Ichinoseki

https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2022/20220405_ho02.pdf

Random ekiben I found with a container based on the JR Freight container, since this is the first one (Kobe Sukiyaki) so expect different types of ekiben in the future.

https://all.awajiya.co.jp/?pid=165976087
>>
File: Kintetsu Aoniyoshi.jpg (250 KB, 1200x800)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
Kintetsu has revealed its new sightseeing train modified from their retired fleet of 12200 Series EMU, the Aoniyoshi will travel between Osaka, Nara, and Kyoto on most days besides Thursday.

https://news.mynavi.jp/article/20220412-kintetsuaoniyoshi/
https://www.kintetsu.co.jp/senden/aoniyoshi/
>>
>>1784265
The container looks nice on the photo, wonder how long it would last in regular bento use.
>>
>>1783164
>>1783158
I thought the whole point of privatization was to dismantle Japan's largest labour union, which degraded the efficiency of not just the Japanese railway system but also sectors all around it (due to it being a central piece of opposition formation)
>>
>>1786304
Even without taking the union into consideration, JNR was basically bleeding money in all fronts due to over-expanding starting from the 1960s where they began to run deficits starting at 1964 ironically enough. The rapid expansion of the Shinkansen network, electrification of the main lines, constant building of new rolling stocks, and its huge-ish network of unprofitable lines (赤字83線 lit. Deficit 83 Lines) didn't really help matters much. By the time JNR was privatized it accumulated 37.1 Trillion Yen of debt and the supposed repayment plan is broken down as follows.

JNRSC: 25.5 Trillion Yen
JR East, JR Central, West JR, JR Freight, and Shinkansen Holdings: 11.6 Trillion Yen
JR Hokkaido, JR Shikoku, JR Kyushu: Spared from debt repayment due to their assumed instability / being unable to repay the debt, although JR Kyushu also succeeded in its IPO recently

The mainland companies ended up paying off the debt by their eventual IPOs. However, JNRSC's portion of the debt managed to grow by around 2.8 Trillion Yen to 28.3 Trillion Yen by 1998 due to various problems with JNRSC ended up disbanded as a result and its assets and liabilities were taken over by JRTT's JNR Settlement Branch and the debt was broken down as follows.

16.1 Trillion Yen: Rolled into Japan's national debt and being paid off by an introduction of the tobacco tax in 1998
3.4 Trillion Yen (Annuities): Taken over by JRTT's JNR Settlement Branch
700 Billion Yen (Pensions, etc.): Taken over by JR Group of companies
8.3 Billion Yen (aka the rest): Reliefed by the government

Source: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/国鉄分割民営化
>>
>>1759488
>ワンマン
>clearly more than one man in front
hmm...
>>
>>1786554
There most certainly is only one operational staff on that train.
It could be, for example, a ride to get route knowledge on that line for that second guy.
>>
>>1786487
All the major closures were done in JNR era not JR era, until recent few years.
>>
>>1759246
Not the anon you replied to, but do you have "Yamanote Line: Tokyo's Ever Evolving Loop Line" (March 29, 2019) ? I can't find it on nyaa.si sadly
>>
https://tw.news.yahoo.com/%E7%8E%8B%E5%9C%8B%E6%9D%90%E8%88%87%E5%8F%B0%E9%90%B5%E5%B7%A5%E6%9C%83%E6%BA%9D%E9%80%9A%E5%85%AC%E5%8F%B8%E5%8C%96-%E5%9C%96-061010630.html

Taiwan government is trying to push the incorporation of their national railway deoartment amid losses, but is facing strong resistance from labor union, who vows to make trains cannot operate on upcoming May 1 festival travel season.
A repeat of JNR's trajectory.
>>
>>1787741
What will be their Ageo incident?
Taiwan being Chinese could result in some violent riots.
>>
JR West develops cab-controlled engineering train-mounted elevatable humanoid industrial robot for maintenance and repair of overhead line equipment off heights (30% labor reduction) in 2024 spring. Task includes tree trimming, might be a possibility to be a more general-purpose heavy machinery.
https://twitter.com/news_jrwest/status/1514919764153434113
https://www.westjr.co.jp/press/article/items/220415_01_robot.pdf
https://www.westjr.co.jp/press/article/items/220415_00_kaiken.pdf
>>
>>1788026
>30% labor reduction
So of each trio working there, one guy will get restructured?
>>
https://tabiris.com/archives/jrw-eigyokeisu2022/
video on the same topic going on a map and explaining in more detail(but still in Japanese): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay9vcucfbug
JR West published info on lines in the red.
>Geibi Line from Bitchu-Kojiro to Kami-Fukawa is fucked beyond salvation despite relatively low deficit because nobody is riding it
>less than 2 million yen in ticket sales on a 140km stretch in 3 years
>Kisuki Line that branches off of it towards Shinji also deep in debt, would likely get axed too
>the most deficit line is Sanin Main Line between Izumoshi and Masuda, 3,4 billion yen in the red
>Sanin Main Line in general is in deep shit except for Kyoto - Kinosaki Onsen and Tottori - Izumoshi sections
>at least a lot of it goes through Yamaguchi, so there will be political will to keep everything west of Masuda(potentially everything west of Izumo) alive as a third sector
>second worst is Kisei Line between Shingu and Shirahama, 2,8 billion yen
>third is Obama Line between Tsuruga and Higashi-Maizuru
>but at least it's bound to improve a bit when Shinkansen reaches Tsuruga in two years
In general most lines outside of the Kansai region and corridors connecting it to Kanazawa and Kokura are doing badly, with lines used to access Tottori and Izumo doing okay-ish(Chizu Express line not shown because it's a 3rd sector).
>>
File: cutie.png (2 MB, 1109x1193)
2 MB
2 MB PNG
>>1787459
I'm a little stupid I should have searched a bit more
r/NHKWorldFans made this: https://nhkworld.herokuapp.com (/NHK.Japan.Railway.Journal/)
This show is very nice!!
>>
>>1788309
>Less than 2 million Yen in ticket sales on a 140km stretch

It's actually 281 million Yen for the 2017~19 average and 216 million Yen for the 2018~20 average for that 140 km stretch (which was basically the majority of the line anyway since Gelbi Line is nearly 160 km long) since the revenue / expensive figures are denoted in 100 million Yen, but the 25.8 km section between Tojo and Bingo-Ochiai has that ridiculous operating ratio since the ticket revenue was around 1 million Yen to 260 million Yen in expenses (2017~19) and 1 million Yen to 220 million Yen (2018~20). Overall though they are still basically spending around 10 Yen for every 1 Yen in ticket revenue for most of the line so it's still pretty bad.

The last page of the PDF provided by JR West also shows how much the ridership had declined on those individual sections since privatization in 1987.

https://www.westjr.co.jp/press/article/items/220411_02_local.pdf
>>
>>1788973
I made a thread about the show. Takagi is based. Love that nerdy cross-eyed fuck.
>>
>>1790471
>I made a thread about the show.
oh, nice! I hope there will be threads about the new episodes (it's taking long though)
>Takagi is based. Love that nerdy cross-eyed fuck.
yes, he really is someone likeable, I love the way he talks
>>
>>1788973
He does his best I love that. Also who here misses Russell so much it's unreal. I wish they had someone else on there that actually liked trains.
>>
>>1790648
Russel and Takagi were the best. They worked so well together. I pretty much stopped watching when Russel left the show. Takagi's awesome, but he can't prop up the show singlehandedly when his co-hosts are just there for a check.
>>
https://tabiris.com/archives/chiikimobility3/
>The Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT) has organized a discussion on April 18th
>review of local railroad lines and challenges railway companies face in regards to them
>"the use of local railroads is structurally deteriorating"
>"decline in population along the rail lines, progress in road development, and the shift to the use of private cars"
>"Add to this the Corona disaster, and we assume that the situation of rail use will not return to normal."
>resulting draft proposes legislation that would give companies green light to tell local governments to make a choice
>either take on some cost by becoming owners and maintainers of track and infrastructure, or get buses instead
>but only if none of the following conditions are met
>4000 transportation density(passengers/day/km)
>1000 transportation density if average trip on the line is over 30 km(so basically lines connecting metropolises)
>1000 passengers/hour peak in a single direction
>significant freight usage
>more than 10 days per year when roads to run replacement buses on would be closed due to weather or such
>or no road to run them on to begin with
Basically there's going to be a bunch of closures and 3rdsectoring in a few years.
>>
>>1792863
>>4000 transportation density(passengers/day/km)
>>1000 transportation density if average trip on the line is over 30 km(so basically lines connecting metropolises)
>>1000 passengers/hour peak in a single direction
>>significant freight usage
>>more than 10 days per year when roads to run replacement buses on would be closed due to weather or such
>>or no road to run them on to begin with
These were the conditions used by JNR to determine which lines to axe. That being said, we can probably expect something similar. Regardless, this was a long time coming, corona or not.
>>
JR East's plan for Chuo Main Line's Rapid Service having Green Cars will be delayed further into 2025 due to semiconductor shortages as they consider that to be a lower priority compared to introduction of other new rolling stocks. The original plan was announced back in 2015 and was supposed to finish in 2020, but it was delayed to 2023 in 2017 due to not having sufficient time to upgrade station infrastructure along the line.

They also have announced they will cease selling regular discount round-trip tickets (they are basically "Buy 10 Get 1 Free") after September 2022, however this will still be availabe for students and the disabled.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2022/20220426_ho01.pdf
>>
>>1795305
>semiconductor shortages
Is that about those electronic(/digital?) Green Seat validators?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8gy0-1wLZM
>>
Tobu will introduce new rolling stock for its Noda (Urban Park) Line in 2024 and will actually shrink its car count from 6 to 5, I wonder if it will also affect existing trainsets running on the line as well

https://www.tobu.co.jp/cms-pdf/releases/20220428101948xAjXttvVkCPcsLFY-1sKOQ.pdf
>>
>>1795314
It's about excuse
The world's current state of semiconductor manufacturing isn't worse enough that can cause things to delay two years.
>>
>>1799245
Excuse or no I have to wonder what kind of ROI report JR East got back in the mid 2010s thinking that all the infrrastructure work and procurement expensives for around 50km-ish worth of Green Car service is a good idea.
>>
>>1800132
First and foremost this is a capacity expansion project, extending the trains from 10-cars to 12-cars. It just occurs to them that they can use the extra train cars to charge a premium and bring them even more revenue, especially after seeing the success of all the LINER trains in private rail companies.
>>
After 11 years worth of limbo and re-construction, the 27.6km of Tadami Line between Tadami and Aizu-Kawaguchi will finally reopen on October 1st this year with 3 new bridges built to replace the ones lost in the 2011 floods. It seems that there will be only three round-trips between that section per day for now.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2021/sendai/20220518_s02.pdf
>>
File: 1635922079412.png (500 KB, 529x752)
500 KB
500 KB PNG
>>1774129
Fuck I have to admit despite being madly in love with the TGV's peak 80s aesthetic, the japs really do know how to make banging kino trains.
>>
>>1802811
Also the track will be owned and maintained by prefectural government, but it will be still served by JR trains.
>>
>>1802811

Will this allow for Revaty trains to go all the way to Aizu-Wakamatsu, like the old JNR あいづ services?
>>
>>1803260
That has nothing to do with reaching Aizu-Wakamatsu from the south through the Aizu Railway since Tadami Line goes west to wherever it is, plus the main problems with Aizu Railway are that the majority of its line is not electrified and currently it takes basically ages to go up to Aizu-Wakamatsu with this route compared to Shinkansen + Ban'etsu West Line (up to four and a half hours vs two hours and fifty minutes). Even if it is fully electrified (which it won't due to $$$) and a hypothetical express service would skip most of the stops beyond Shimo-Imaichi it'd probably still take around four hours to reach Aizu-Wakamatsu
>>
File: rice.jpg (695 KB, 1920x1276)
695 KB
695 KB JPG
>>1763997
>>
>>1803260
There won't be demand for even making a bi-modal trainset to extend the overnight train northwards.
Yagan Line was planned in the steam age to form a Yagan-u Line to connect Ou Main Line directly, parallel to Touhoku Main Line. It and Nichhu Line (northward to Yonezawa) were not completed by JNR, with the former's southern side supplanted by Tobu. There's no need for extra freight capacity in the Shinkansen and automobile era either.

>>1803388
Furthermore, Aizu Railway is now all DMU.
>>
File: 747 lol.jpg (12 KB, 474x315)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1803390
so stupid kek
>>
>>1761268
>Bottlenecks
With JR East's mass service reduction this spring even during peak hour, across all line, such a concept no longer exists in Tokyo. The era have ended.
>>
>Cleaning virus with visible light
What do Hankyu Hanshin mean by this
https://www.expo-form.jp/mtij2022o/product.php?page=2&ss_cat=1&disp_page=10
>>
File: 720-280_shinjuku_up.jpg (49 KB, 720x190)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>1803591

> Yagan Line was planned in the steam age to form a Yagan-u Line to connect Ou Main Line directly, parallel to Touhoku Main Line. It and Nichhu Line (northward to Yonezawa) were not completed by JNR, with the former's southern side supplanted by Tobu.

Adding onto this, the original plan was from 1927 for a railway between Aizuwakamatsu~Tajima~Imaichi.

> 政府は山形縣米澤より日中を經福島縣喜多方に至る鐵道、會津若松より田島を經栃木縣今市に至る鐵道及栃木縣鹿沼より栃木を經茨城縣古河に至る鐵道を速成し以て運輸交通の發達を促進せられむことを望む

https://teikokugikai-i.ndl.go.jp/simple/detail?minId=005213242X03219270325&spkNum=0#s0

Given how much of a money pit freight was compared to passenger rail, and JNR's debt crisis, it doesn't surprise me that this plan didn't come to pass.

Aizu Bus also has frequent shuttle service to Aizuwakamatsu from Koriyama (Tohoku Shinkansen), Shinjuku bus terminal and Haneda Airport.
>>
>>1804230
I won't say it is necessarily having to do with freight or not. Back in 1927, for laymen people, if not for the existence of railroad, their only travel options are by boat or by foot. Even buses were mostly limited to horsecar replacement in big cities, outside that there were neither money to buy vehicles or lay the roads for them. So it made sense to plan railroads everywhere and with extensive network. However, many of the lines weren't finished by WWII, and after WWII and after the reconstruction of main transportation link, the world already entered an irreversible era of motorization. Main links need to be constructed have been turned to road instead. There were still some leftover projects from prewar era awaiting construction but most of those were waste of money on outdated tech in places with no sufficient demand.
Another thing is, with road taking over most share of transportation, together with rapid urbanization after the war, redundant line capacity that was in mind of people when they drafted their initial plans are no longer needed. Traffic on this line from Yamagata can simply be routed through Tohoku Main Line, supposed traffic between Hokuriku and Nagoya can simply use Hokuriku Main Line connecting Tokaido Main Line, and Sanko line.also failed to serve as a link between Izumo area and Hiroshima onwards. So these railways no longer make sense to build or maintain.

The fact that the only highway bridging the gap is a 2-lane road, and even that was not completed until 2010, speaks oof itself how "much" volume of traffic are there between the two places.
>>
I love trains :)
>>
>>1761379
>>1761294
Mbs =Mohamed bin Salman, the wealthy Saudi Prince and de facto ruler who is backing many of Softbank's investments trough their "Vision fund"
>>
https://youtu.be/96dgZ8Jd16A
Wonder what happened here.
>>
>>1806623
Apparently that car entered the crossing when the train was passing.
>>
>>1806518
same i love trains
>>
>>1804418
>The fact that the only highway bridging the gap is a 2-lane road, and even that was not completed until 2010, speaks oof itself how "much" volume of traffic are there between the two places.
To be fair, through traffic is using the old and new Kuriko Tunnels via Fukushima. You still have to use Ban-etsu Motorway afterwards for outside.
>>
https://www.toshiseibi.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/kiban/pamphlet/pdf/setsumeikai_07gou01.pdf
Namboku Line southward extension to Shinagawa Station alignment announced to be winding under Kan-yon (Circumferential Route 4) to minimize land purchase. (not sure about the vertical profile)
>>
https://nordot.app/902883088579706880?c=39546741839462401

JR Freight: If local governments find it difficult to sustain Oshamanbe-Hakodate rail service, it will also be difficult for JR Freight to keep this freight rail route just by itself.
>>
JR East has announced that it will increase the speed of Joetsu Shinkansen between Omiya and Niigata from 240 km/h to 275 km/h through sound-proofing improvements and the completion of its (delayed) procurement of the E7 Series Shinkansen EMUs, the increase will reduce the travel time between that section by up to 7 minutes

https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2022/20220607_ho03.pdf
>>
File: KiHa 183 SRT Repainted.jpg (235 KB, 800x511)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
A KiHa 183 DMU car from JR Hokkaido is seen in State Railway of Thailand Makkasan Works undergoing exterior renovation after re-gauging to metre gauge and changes to their entrances were done and test runs were made in April. The entire renewal process will take around two years and early testing with shorter trips will begin this fall.

https://news.mynavi.jp/article/20220609-2363917/

A JR East Shinkansen E2 set was recolored to the original 200 Series livery for the 40th Annivsary of Tohoku Shinkansen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFJFW8g81ok

Detailed information regarding the timetables of West Kyushu Shinkansen along with changes of local lines.

http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/common/inc/news/newtopics/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2022/06/10/220610_september_23rd.pdf

>>1807300
>Not sure about the vertical profile

Wouldn't that depends on current underground infrastructure? And I'm somewhat surprised that there won't be any new stations in between Shirokane-Takanawa and Shinagawa Stations since the distance is a relatively long stretch by subway standards (2.5 km)
>>
>>1758791
Is there a train YT channel that /jrg/ likes? Do you prefer train-watching, or train journeys?
>>
>>1814033
Suits, Gami, Hiroki, Shirohando, Aoki/Yukkuma, Watanuki... Japanese YouTube is a fucking gold mine.
For a more general view on traffic Takumikku and Moheji are also worth a look.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55HI9uRwthw
>>
File: stations.png (387 KB, 2276x1406)
387 KB
387 KB PNG
sorry if the question has already been asked, but I was wondering about the SCMaglev

according to JR Central's website (https://scmaglev.jr-central-global.com/status/stations/) they plan to expand the stations where the future train will be located from below, digging down to about 40m deep, which they say would be particularly difficult and would require the use of advanced construction technologies
also, in one of their promotional videos (https://youtu.be/xY2BjDp5qEs?t=19), the train will have rubber wheels to allow the train to move on the ground when it is not levitating

why not include conventional rails? wouldn't this allow the SCMaglev to enter stations in the same way as its predecessors, so logically it would also be able to run on the existing rails (and continue on its own line afterwards)? so there would be no need to dig under the stations to house new platforms, since it would be enough to simply add new platforms on the surface
I imagine that the maintenance would also be less expensive since rubber wheels need to be changed regularly in addition to the road maintenance

I'm obviously not as competent as a JR engineer, so I'd like to hear your opinion on this
>>
>>1814468
Because having convention rails would defeat the point of maglev and using rubber wheels + road means that you don't need to worry about derailment caused by the wheels not aligning to the railway tracks when the wheels lower as the train decelerates and lands, that and their infrastructure being placed on the sides (magnets) instead of mostly above the train (catenary) means that retrofitting (which obviously means disruption of conventional Shinkansen services and any other potential problems) is out of the question.
>>
File: walls.png (1.11 MB, 1208x980)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB PNG
>>1814471
>Because having convention rails would defeat the point of maglev
I mean, when it's levitating either a road or rails would make no difference
>using rubber wheels + road means that you don't need to worry about derailment caused by the wheels not aligning to the railway tracks when the wheels lower as the train decelerates and lands
it seems that there would be very little offset that would be corrected each time by the electromagnetic walls (I'm looking at their animation), if you consider "conventional" bogie wheels, this does not seem to be a problem, no?
though they would need extra sand I guess
>their infrastructure being placed on the sides (magnets) instead of mostly above the train (catenary) means that retrofitting (which obviously means disruption of conventional Shinkansen services and any other potential problems) is out of the question.
but what about expanding the stations with one or more platform.s (and line.s)?
like they did with older shinkansens iirc
to avoid digging under the stations (it seems very expensive compared to adding a new platform on the surface) and interfering with conventional lines
>>
>>1814468
The reason they tunnel 40 meters underground is because Japanese law determined that of you tunnel 40 meters below surface, you won't need to acquire permission of owner of structure and land on the surface. Raising the level up would defeat the purpose of digging it this deep.
>>
>>1814051
Nice list, will check them out. I'm afraid I'm somewhat of a normalfag so I only watch stuff like aunz railfan and Japan railway journal.
>>
>>1814051
>>1817383
Oh, I forgot about Saionji(-san).
Absolutely worth a watch as well.
>>
Kumagawa Railway has stated that the restoration for the damages it sustained from the 2020 flood will be completed in 2025, and they also just opened a Youtuble channel but there's only two videos uploaded so far (one of them is the announcement of the restoration)

https://kumagawa-rail.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDIaHDTDBwLyShij447RGKw

>>1817389
>Saionji

I wonder if his ("ongoing" plan) tp tranverse literally across Japan using local buses will actually succeed.
>>
>>1818302
>I wonder if his ("ongoing" plan) tp tranverse literally across Japan using local buses will actually succeed.
He did his trip back in March, so I'd figure so.
There is also a guy currently following his steps trying to optimize the trip using full knowledge:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=nTtQyp9jDSk
>>
https://youtu.be/mPPirDHWYy8
Someone visited Yoichi to film how buses and trains to Otaru and Sapporo actually perform during commuting hours
>>
>>1819167
>Travel Cat
Thanks for the recommendation.
Based on the video titles and thumbnails I'd have never clicked his videos.
>>
File: 0514.jpg (1.24 MB, 1188x1724)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
Wait
Who is the decision maker being so smart that think it is good idea to let green light represent occupied and red light indicate available?
>>
>japanese trains are kill
How do I cope with this?
>>
https://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/22430286/
Japan is currently so hot, rails have started bending to an extent interrupting operation.

>>1819387
Probably as an indication for the ticket control staff to see, if he needs to check the passenger on that seat.
Green means "this seat has been paid for".
>>
>>1818305
I also found someone who did the whole trip in 2014, recording a front cam video of all of it(presumably, I don't have time to check)
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCBj1el6ykiV97HVtMxBDKJmftUCS9bYs
>>
>>1821435
Interesting channel. Too bad he has stopped uploading more than a year ago.
>OleOleSaggy
kek
>>
>>1814033
i hope you like yukkuri-type videos:

>ながら
>越後けい / TOKImeki Train
>にっこーけん【旅行】ー日本の交通を研究する会
>とある中部の大手私鉄〜名古屋鉄道〜
>青い森研究所‐アオラボ
>腐っても豆腐の鉄道チャンネル
>仙台撮り鉄 / Tohoku Railway Movies
>ゆっくり歌激団 世界の鉄道ch.迷列車で行こう海外編
>ゆっくり歌激団のサブチャンネル
>するめ市

Bonus: regular youtubers and actually informative channels:
>鐵坊主
>飛練音響工業 / 鉄道業界考察
>Takagi Railway
>ダイ
>かんの
>広島のボロクハ
>ダイヤを見ながら渡る旅-Travel while looking at the diagram
>おきらく娯楽工房
>まっつんつん
>>
>>1814033
>Takagi Railway
>鐵坊主 (tetsu-bozu)
>暇坊主
>飛練音響工業 / 鉄道業界考察
>仙台撮り鉄 / Tohoku Railway Movies
>腐っても豆腐の鉄道
>謎のちゃんねる
>>
Are there any interesting studies or articles that talk about the benefits of Tokyo’s metro rail? I’m interested in stuff like the economic benefit vs the amount invested and poverty alleviation.
>>
>>1822993
This doesn't make sense... As Tokyo is developed along railways and people move in to settle according to railway stations, with properties nearer to railway nodes being more expensive.... And most of those investment are either made for financial benefit purposes or as part of national railway lines about a hundred years ago.... Even the subway network generally copy the old streetcar alignment. So it is not like they are new service in existing neighborhood for such comparison to make sense...
>>
File: FXaofUFVQAAaNpH.jpg (410 KB, 1620x1080)
410 KB
410 KB JPG
Here is a photo of the first green car carriages for the Chuo Line
>>
>>1824494
>It's actually real

Has JR East released any progress reports in regards to their work on lengthening of the platforms?
>>
What's Abe's legacy on railways? Any specific policy he drawn up or fostered?
>>
>>1822993
More focus could be found in station developments, than entire lines. Eg Shinbashi--Shiodome, Musashi-Kosugi, Senju. Time and safety saving by grade separation of crossings would be more visible.
>>
>>1824641
+
Lines may be Oedo Line and others for shitamachi. That justifies the more expensive burden by Toei.
Keep in mind a lot of lines are built to serve new developments (Hikarigaoka, Takashimadaira). or redevelopments are not directly caused by stations (eg Roppongi).
>>
>>1824495
so far i only saw a pdf from JR East from 2018
>>
Ginza, Marunouchi, Chiyoda and Tozai Line will all see major service reductions starting August 27.

https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000920.000020053.html
>>
>>1825078
>今回のダイヤ改正では、お客様のご利用状況に合わせた運転本数の見直しを行います。
So ridership is still distinctively lower than before Corona?
Has テレワーク finally taken root?
At least here in Europe companies are trying everything to get people back into office.
And ridership is through the roof due to stuff like the 9€-ticket in Germany.
>>
>「シンカンセンスゴイカタイアイス」乗車前に買えるぞ! 東京駅新幹線ホームに自販機登場
https://trafficnews.jp/post/120418

You can now (starting Friday) buy the "Shinkansen Super Hard Ice" from vending machines on the Shinkansen platforms at Tokyo station.
Prices range from 300 yen (vanilla) to 390 yen (pistachio).
Has anyone from /jrg/ ever eaten it? I didn't know about that ice, last time I was in Japan.
>>
>>1825330
Me and my mom had it at around seven years ago and yes, the ice cream is hard as rocks

> I didn't know about that ice, last time I was in Japan.
As the name implies, they are only availabe on Shinkansen services and it even has a twitter tag too

https://twitter.com/hashtag/%E3%82%B7%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AB%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BB%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B9%E3%82%B4%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%82%A4%E3%82%A2%E3%82%A4%E3%82%B9
>>
>>1826071
thats a long twitter tag
>>
File: JR Hokkaido KiHa 281.jpg (817 KB, 2560x1458)
817 KB
817 KB JPG
JR Hokkaido has announced that it will retire the rest of its JNR Era KiHa 183 (29 cars) and early JR Hokkaido Era KiHa 281 (27 cars) Ltd. Express DMUs by end of Fiscal Year 2022 (March 2023) and end of September 2022 respectively. The Ltd. Express services Okhotsk and Taisetsu that are currently running on the Sekihoku Line will be replaced by the remaining 25 KiHa 283 Series DMU cars that got replaced by the KiHa 261-1000 Series DMU serving the Ltd. Express Oozora, do note that the last three KiRo 282 Green Cars were scrapped earlier in March this year so those two services will no longer have Green Cars.

https://www.jrhokkaido.co.jp/CM/Info/press/pdf/220713_KO_183.pdf
https://www.jrhokkaido.co.jp/CM/Info/press/pdf/220713_KO_281.pdf

>>1826195
Indeed it is long whether it is displayed properly or not (aka here)
>>
>>1758791
Trains are cool. Bikes suck.
>>
>>1826195
That's just the Unicode-Encoding, that's long.
>シンカンセンスゴイカタイアイス
is not particularly long.

>>1826071
>only availabe on Shinkansen
Do you seriously think any /jrg/-poster would travel to Japan without a Japan Rail Pass?
I simply didn't know about that ice back then.

>>1826203
>displayed
It's not a display-problem. It's a copy-problem. Current browsers are usually configured to not copy the original characters, but an encoding that ensures the URL works even on devices with improper Unicode-support.
>>
is there any difference in construction between regular railroad and shinkanzen one?
i guess it's more straight, but is that all?

also is there any way to made railroad less maintenance heavy?
asking because my country didn't build almost anything last 60 years, and half of rail network remembers austria-hungary
>>
>>1826969
Well, the most fundamental one would be the difference in gauge.
"Regular railroad" (在来線 = "already existing line") in Japan is narrow gauge (1067mm), while the Shinkansen (新幹線 = "new main line") are standard gauge (1435mm).
That said, I *think*, there are "regular railroad" non-JR lines in Japan that use standard gauge.
Obviously there are also other differences like limits on the radii, the need for complete segregation from the surroundings and the use of ATC (as opposed to ATS) due to the massively increased line speed.
>>
https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQOUA200K70Q2A720C2000000/
New standard for abandoning lines: traffic density of 1000 pax km/km
>>
>>1826071
Saw it mentioned in a "building railway in another world" novel
https://kakuyomu.jp/works/16816927859918319333
>>
>>1826969
>is there any difference in construction between regular railroad and shinkanzen one?
>i guess it's more straight, but is that all?

Tunnels are larger to fit in bigger trains.
Power stations are needed along the line to power the train line specifically.
Other than turning radius, gadient of the line also have stricter requirement, to allow high speed operation with reasonable motor power and breaking distance
You cannit have level crossing. In Japan it tend to be done by tunneling and bridging most of the.line, but High speed rail in otger countries do not necessarile follow this rule, since tunnels and bridges are more expensive than e.g. embankment
Also, additional noise barriers near entrance and exit of tunnels and near residential settlements will also be needed.
facilities in and around Shinkansen stations, including how it cinnect to local transportation system be it rail or otherwise, also need to be considered with Shinkansen's intercity nature in mind.

>also is there any way to made railroad less maintenance heavy?
>asking because my country didn't build almost anything last 60 years, and half of rail network remembers austria-hungary

You should ask /chad/ and Amtrak for that
In Japan, stations that cannot justify maintenance expense are simply scrapped, if local community also cannot offer money and/or manpower to help maintain them according to requirement
>>
Rumoi Line from Rumoi to Ishikari-Numata to be closed March 2023, with the remainder of the line from Ishikari-Numata to Fukagawa to be closed March 2026.
https://tabiris.com/archives/rumoisen-haishi/
>>
Someone posted this to /wsg/ without linking it here: >>>/wsg/4642181
I suppose it was for /jp/ or /a/.
>>
>>1829498
fuck i had to play the webm twice to remember its platinum disco
getting biden level dementia already
>>
I have had a short discussion with a Japanese tour company overseas branch, who said that it would be possible for them to work out custom itinerary for like specific small groups and pack it as a group tour for foreign tourists, and if such group is interested in railway they can also contact railway companies and obtain permission to visit places that would otherwise be off limit.

If (you) have a chance to form such a group, which places/trains would /jrg/ want to visit/ride?

Personal wish list:
- Yamanashi Maglev test center&test ride
- Omiya rail museum
- Kurobe alpine route
- Hokuhoku line
- Usui pass old route hike
- Depot of suspended monorail facilities like Chiba monorail
- Takachiho Amaterasu Railway trolley kart
- Seikan tunnel museum
- Sunrise Seto/Izumo, and the Setouchi bridge
- Aichi Wakayama station
- Joban line section near Fukushima Daiichi site
- Tokaido freight line train tour
- JR Freight depot visit
- Just some on the verge of abandonment stations or sites in Hokkaido
>>
>>1829901
Ah and Linimo
>>
https://tabiris.com/archives/jrh8senku/
>JR Hokkaido boss claims "abolition isn't on our mind at all" about 8 lines with previously uncertain standing
Anon who posted this elsewhere also put together a map that just shows the full state of JR Hokkaido, now that it's set in stone.
>>
>>1829901
Tokaido freight line train tour
JR Freight depot visit
Seikan tunnel museum
Just some on the verge of abandonment stations or sites in Hokkaido
>>
>>1830560
My question was more like what else do you want instead of picking from my own list
>>1830411
Pretty sure Hakodate station to Shin Hakodate Hokuto isn't safe
>>
>>1829412
>>1830411
>>1830596
At this point, honestly: Just shut the whole country down and declare it dead.
That kind of decline is disgraceful.
The Japanese boomers (団塊世代) have managed to fuck everything up forever for everyone.
Japan could have easily stood at the top of the "Western World" at this point. It had the potential for that.
>>
>>1830611
Japanese boomers think the West is good. So they copy ideas from the West, from those who are of same generation as themselves, maybe through what they learned from meeting they have had decades ago.
>>
>>1830659
>Japanese boomers think the West is good
how is that different to jap millennials and zoomers
>>
>>1826726
>Implying we would travel in Japan without one (unless we legit don't ride enough trains to make it worth it)

SHIGGY DIGGY

>>1830411
>That purple section

Given that had been discussed in here already, I wonder what will be the end game for that section because JR Freight needs it for freight trains but they probbaly can't afford to own that section outright
>>
>>1830973
JR Frieght already stated they aren't going to be able to sustain that line by itself. They already have alternative plan of making extra ferries and hire extra truck drivers.
>>
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/5e6d2a358ecc0fd877a5d254f0febf28fa4f0439
>Niigata prefecture government thought rail only have 2.7% model split for intra prefecture movement from Nagaoka area to Joetsu area, compares to 95.1% for cars, is a result of Shinetsu Main Line too slow
lol
>>
And it seems that the two E232/233-0 Green Car carriages are now attached to a 6-car set doing test runs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq7c36ZKcqw

>>1832324
Given how that there is only approximately one train from Naoetsu to Nagaoka/Niigata per hour (and some times none) it isn't that surprising
>>
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/6e5ecec5fd8c7e42af6b2e1c998a2aba1a00a967?page=2
Article discussing problems with closure and bus replacement of the Oshamambe - Otaru section. Posting a translation from a dead forum in the image because Yahoo Japan is even banning some VPNs now.

I'm genuinely surprised nobody has proposed tram conversion for the Yoichi-Otaru section. Such proposals have been taken seriously even where it's a much dumber idea like the Johana Line. And here you have an already existing track that in both cities goes near residential areas that don't have a station nearby, meaning you could easily create more demand. You could even expand it with the Temiya Line, which could be connected with only about ~400m of new track.
>>
>>1835545
captcha prompt ate my image with said translation
>>
Does anyone have context for this webm?
>>>/wsg/4662776
>>
>>1835609
Japanese urban train some time after 1987 (already JR) and before 2000 (no widespread mobile phones).
>>
>>1829901
- Tokyo station behind the scenes tour
- Hakata to Minami Hakata with visit of facilities or boarding a non-revenue Shinkansen before it reaches revenue service in Hakata
- visit to the currently closed sections of JR Kyushu
- quick look inside those very expensive cruise trains
>>
>>1835619
>after 1987 and before 2000
Thanks!
I was initially thinking earlier 80s, but it "already being JR" is a dead give-away, that's true.
>>
>>1835609
This is a Itsukaichi Line 103 series. This was probably taken somewhere between 1988-1999.
>>
Looks like JR East are going to start removing the clocks from around 500 stations over the next 10 years as part of cost-cutting measures
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=448urDkoRNE
4 lines in Tohoku region damaged by torrential rain induced floods and/or landslides.
The first two are the two arteries used for freight to/from Hokkaido and Aomori, so at least they're guaranteed to be repaired. But the other two are rarely used local lines in sparsely populated mountain areas, so there is danger that they may just get abandoned.
>>
>>1835792
Fine with me as long as the removed clocks are a good enough excuse to not close any lines.
>>
>>1835545
This article is from norimono news, aka traffic news dot jp, you can simply visit their website for the report instead of copying from Yahoo Japan.
Also, can't you access Yahoo Japan with other non-Europe non-Japan services like internet archives?
And, tram conversion of Yoichi to Otaru section have been proposed. https://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/593814?display=b But they are simply ignored. Such proposal have previously been reported on multiple media also. However how and who will finance it is still a main issue. Note that JR Hokkaido once noted that it's fine for them to continue to run the service if they can get paid fully for any financial losses it might incur. Neither Hokkaido government nor national government want to help, and Yoichi itself cannot bear such burden. So this is the result.
>>1835621
Not even luxurious cruise train but JR East is now charging 34000 Yen [parent and kid] for a 3 hour visit of Cassiopeia parked at Ueno station at night. https://www.travelvoice.jp/20220722-151689
>>1835903
>arteries used for freight to/from Hokkaido and Aomori, so at least they're guaranteed to be repaired
This is no longer a guarantee nowadays with fate of Oshamanbe to Hakodate section of Hakodate Main Line now up in the air.
>>
>>1835972
>JR East is now charging 34000 Yen for a 3 hour visit of Cassiopeia parked at Ueno station at night
Imagine how many clocks they could save by extending that offer for more nights or even offering the carriages as hotel somewhere in Tokyo.
>>
https://tabiris.com/archives/mobility202207/
https://tabiris.com/archives/jre-shushi2022/
Somehow no one mentioned this yet
A few weeks ago Japanese national government setup a new guideline on future of rural lines, essentially saying that except those that serve intercity limited express trains or those that serve freight, any non-third-sector lines crossing more than 1 locality and have transportation density lower than 1000 can be requested by any involved parties (e.g. the train company) to setup a committee to discuss future fate of those lines. Together with this they launched a "specific BRT" system which will provide subsidy to BRT conversion if the BRT is to be operated closely with the rail company and have integrated schedule and fare system. Intention is pretty clear.
With this in mind, JR East published list of lines with less than 1000 transport density in their network, and also their financial performance.

>>1761666
>It had been planned in the 70s but was put on hold due to the 1973 OPEC oil embargo
If I recalled correctly, at the time other countries accelerated transit projects to reduce reliance on fossil fuel
Isn't cost overrun of projects in 1980s mainly a result of the bubble economy?
>>
>>1835982
>Somehow no one mentioned this yet
It had already been brought up, see >>1792863
Also related: >>1830411
>>
Sasebo complain despite spending 1.4 billion yen on improving Sasebo line beyond Takeo Onsen station and moving 885 series to the express service to Sasebo as a remedy to Nagasaki segment of Shinkansen bypassed Sasebo, 60% trains on the line between Sasebo and Takeo Onsen are still slower than before after the opening of West Kyushu Shinkansen.

JR Kyushu retracted the timetable and shortened the time of 5 trains by 1 minute yet the overall issue still exists. JR Kyushu previously explained this is the result of prioritizing departures that use 885 and thus obstructed other trains on the single line segment.
>>
>>1838212
>Sasebo
They better not go on a stabbing spree because of that.
>>
.... Following the tradition of kirakira name among 3rd sector companies paralleling Hokuriku Shinkansen, Fukui decided to name their rail company "Hapi Line Fukui", with "Hapi" referring to Happiness which is seen as connected to Fuku in the prefecture's name of Fukui, and the word "Line" is supposed to reflect railroad being a line that connect humans and things together to create a happy future for Fukui.
>>
>>1839208
>with "Hapi" referring to Happiness
Why not 羽飛?
>>
is there a site that has a list of japanese rail webcams?
or how one go by in youtube to search for them
>>
>>1839218
Take these two keywords and google away:
>鉄道 ウェブカム

The most famous one (the one in Aizu-Wakamatsu) unfortunately shut down a few years ago.
>>
File: saikyou_cosplay_01.jpg (1.14 MB, 3024x4032)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
(Somewhat) fresh from C100.
>>
File: saikyou_cosplay_02.jpg (1.45 MB, 4032x3024)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
>>1839222
>>
File: comiketcosplay.jpg (587 KB, 2048x1536)
587 KB
587 KB JPG
>>1839222
>>1839223
Japanese railfans are in a league of their own.
>>
>>1839218
The Aizu Wakayama thread on /jp/ have many people dedicated to webcam including rail web cam in Japan by the way.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.