[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

When will we mandate this common sense regulation nationwide?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_law_in_California#Possibility_of_licensing

Possibility of licensing[edit]
CVC 39002 allows local authorities to implement mandatory licensing for bicycles and prohibit riding of unlicensed bicycles.[b]

39002. (a) A city or county, which adopts a bicycle licensing ordinance or resolution, may provide in the ordinance or resolution that no resident shall operate any bicycle, as specified in the ordinance, on any street, road, highway, or other public property within the jurisdiction of the city or county, as the case may be, unless the bicycle is licensed in accordance with this division.

(b) It is unlawful for any person to tamper with, destroy, mutilate, or alter any license indicia or registration form, or to remove, alter, or mutilate the serial number, or the identifying marks of a licensing agency's identifying symbol, on any bicycle frame licensed under this division.

—California Department of Motor Vehicles, CVC 39002, Registration and Licensing of Bicycles[26]
>>
Its already been tried and failed in Montgomery County, Maryland.

Why would you try to restrict cycling when what you want is more cycling?

https://apps.montgomerycountymd.gov/ccllims/DownloadFilePage?FileName=2642_1_10569_Bill_2-20_Signed_20200403.pdf
>>
I'm ok with this. Anything that inhibits the malignant growth of shrill insufferable unracer dutch karen culture is a good thing, and if they say it will discourage people like them from riding, we should take them at their word.

Remember, segregated bike lanes are a way to get the public on board with the idea that bicycles have no right to public roadways, and therefore, people who support bike lanes are anti-cycling.

John Forester did nothing wrong.
>>
>>1751690
Who are you even talking about? Karens drive SUVs
>>
>>1751690
If bike riders want to use public streets then they should register & license their bicycles, have a permit to operate one, and have at least liability insurance.
>>
Bikes should be licensed, registered, and riders carry liability insurance.

So the next time some jackals runs a stop sign and crashes into my car. I'm not the one completely on the hook for repairs. Luckily I run a dash cam and managed to avoid liability for Fred's injuries.
>>
>>1751693
It's not 1998 anymore, today's karen has a brompton, a citibike pass, and a mostly empty head filled with a loose fog of buzzwords like "sneckdown" and "desire path" and a bunch of phrases starting with "did you know that in amsterdam..." or "according to doug gordon..."

All the SUVs are being operated by nigerian civil engineers and sri lankan doctors driving for Lyft, nobody actually buys an SUV for personal use these days

>>1751696
110% agreed. Even basic renters insurance normally offers the option of up to $1 million in personal liability, there's no excuse. But oh noes that would discourage the casuals and we wouldn't have people salmoning or blowing through crosswalks while screaming angrily at the pedestrians who dare exercise their right of way, god don't you know they don't have bike control skills or common courtesy in amsterdam?
>>
As a pedestrian, I'd like this. The fewer vehicles there are (and a bicycle is a vehicle) the better.
Of course, having fewer cars is more important, but having fewer bikes is fine too.
>>
>>1751685
Holy shit y'all are some bootlicking faggots who are cucked by the state. Please, kill yourselves
>>
>>1751703
>nobody actually buys an SUV for personal use these days
SUVs account for half of new car sales, what are you talking about?
>>
Cager crabs in a bucket mentality. Noooo how can it be that cyclists aren't subject to the same regulation as us?! Noooo how come we have to get a drivers license and pay insurance and they don't?!? Noooo how dare cyclists ignore traffic laws that only exist because cars are so catastrophically dangerous?!?! I don't feel like I'm being treated like someone who spent 40k on their new car!! Make cyclists suffer as much as I am!!!
>>
>>1751960
>No argument, just more rage from the fringe minority
>>
>>1751969
>abloo bloo I have argument but you don't
Hope you die at the bottom of the bucket, crab.
>>
>>1751685
Americans are so terminally cucked.
>>
>>1751703
what you're describing there certainly isn't a Karen
>>
>>1751971
Seething

>>1752403
Obsessed
>>
>>1751685
I kind of hate the idea of more bureaucracy, but the behavior of cyclists in my city is a pretty solid argument for requireing licences and registration plates.
If people managed to stick to at least the most basic traffic rules all would be fine, but too many think rules apply only to others.
>>
>>1752404
t. dutch karen
>>
Shoe licensing next for you freedom haters.
>>
cars kill and they need to be tracked down that someone is evading a crime by saying it wasn't him
I haven't heard of a cyclist killing a man or an animal
>>
>>1752487
Irrelevant to the question of riding, but running over small animals is a fact of life unless you ride exclusively in a velodrome. Some of them are suicidal.

Someone else can find the picture of the twink on a brakeless fixie who ran over a free range toddler on knifecrime island. Also pretty sure that guy who killed a middle aged lady in midtown was riding brakeless. Entirely possible these were coincidental and the brakes had nothing to do with it, but you don't deserve the benefit of the doubt if you decide to ride brakeless.
>>
>>1751685
We'll all be wearing QR codes on our backs in a year for our coronapass anyway
>>
File: 1601545698034.jpg (1.33 MB, 2048x1480)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
>>1751685
As long as I can renew my registration online and it's under $20/year I really don't care what happens.
>>
>>1752534
>>
Obvious troll is obvious
>>
>>1752534
>income tax
>property tax
>sales tax
>licensing tax
Please keep taxing me, I’m a tremendous cuck and I hate having money.
>>
>>1752565
>waaah why are there so many potholes? must be the trannies, anyway taxation is theft maaaaan, don't tread on me
>>
>>1752600
>reeeee
>>
>>1751685
lol fuck you.
>>
>>1752565
>stop taxing me, public infrastructure works far better when it's either non-existent due to lack of funding, or I am overcharged for it because it's run by corporates
>>
File: gulper.jpg (3.36 MB, 2132x1204)
3.36 MB
3.36 MB JPG
transportingreathash,,,2pounds(32 ounces for youEUROS),,OTS,Kangaroo hop over2foot high wall onto sidewalk,jump extrahigh off curbshowy,,crosstreet hoppping center devider,,zipast "IHOP"pancakes,,
,,,,Police parked at back see meand mouthfull of foodyellstop!,
,,should justay on mission,,dontease the snake.,ignoreason,,,,sharp brake and boltostop at cop door waiting while heputs burger down,getsout andoes copy thingshow offor rookie trainy.,
,,,idraw outhe incounter seeing them craving to get back with burgers,,,,getting cold,,,butstill they write me ticket for 'no light.,
,,next daystop at courthouse,,show dynamo lighto checker guy,"CHECKED!all done,,,ooo by the way you need registration.",
,,,,,,monthslater,,family dinner as GF arriveshadowed by,,COP?,"Mr Rider?Mr BaconRider? I have a warrant for your arrest."
,,,,,'wwWWhat?,that bank account wasnt my idea,,they Mademe doit,,,,iswear i was gong to pa....
COP"Sir,this is for an old traffic ticket,cycleing without REGISTRATION.,"
,'ever never cheaton,,,huh?,regstration?for what?when?how?WHY? always WHY?,
COP"Jan4 inspection showed No REGISTRATION and you have not fixed it.please turn around and put your hands behind your back.",very sheepish as crowd hangs over him.,
,,ooOOOooooo MMMMAMMMY im going to the big HOUUSE! My CRIMes have cought up to me,,,ooo DONT FORGETME!!,
,HUGHSCENE,,WAILING,,,LAMENTiNG,,,outhe window allllllllthe way down the street,,,
,'sorryabouthat Officer,just came out,thisnot your idea,,,,Rookie?
COP"first week."
,,,geto station,Chief ison phone"Just Let Him Go. Whos idea was this?"
,,,rideng downstreet backhome,,HOWLING,,,FREEEEEEEATLAST lordAlmighty i am FREEEEATLAST!!ive donemy time! PAID my debto Society!!,
,mmmmMMM! Enchiladas SMELL GREAT!,,
DING@! justintime.
>>1752496
crocadile technician,,feelspoke tension on belly,,inspect brakepads,,kneecheck tire presure,,,checkslack on cables.,,8/10
>>
>>1752565
That's why I made the condition that it be under $20 per year
>>
>>1752606
tax the fucking corpos
>>
>license
i'd be up for this if the cops in my shithole of a city would commit to doing something about bike theft and the hordes of dui cocksuckers riding ebikes like fucking cunts - they won't though, so no.
>>
>>1751688
>tried and failed in Montgomery County, Maryland.
This does not surprise me
t. Old Bay connoisseur
>>
>>1751690
>karen culture
more like "kevin culture"
>>
>>1752600
>Illinois

lmao that state is one best examples of tax blackholes that suck money and do absolutely nothing with it
>>
>>1752600
Yeah looks like all those taxes sure are being put to good use
>>
Cyclists are parasites. Instead of good citizens that continue use to the upkeep of society.
>>
As a pedophile, I am against this.
>>
Fair =/= exactly the same.
We already have a tiered system of responsibility

Peds have more leeway than cyclists, who have less than pedestrians, but more than motorists, and above your regular motorists are CDL holders like myself, which in of itself, has it's own tree of responsibility.
Now, I understand we barely regulate four wheelers and hand out licenses like candy, so I"m sure you're hearing of this for the first time, but I don't really care about shitstatins like you OP who bitch about whine about 'not fwair not fwair' like a child.

Grow up.

>>1751696
Nope
Only way a cyclist causes and issue is by causing a car to swerve. Since you're the one escalating the danger, it's more of your responsibility to mitigate that.
In the event that this happens, the cyclist will be dead and injured nearby, easy to find and hold accountable, while you could be three states over in a n hour untouched.

See why you have more regulation?

>>1751960
100%, everything else they say is a lie whether they know it themselves or not

>>1752496
Yeah, but they found the guy, that's the difference. A serious hit and run by a cyclist is nearly impossible
>>
>>1752846
>pedestrians don't matter
t. cyclist
>>
>>1752848
It's not that they don't matter, it's that there's a chain of escalation and responsibility.
If I'm riding down a MUP, I have the responsibility to make sure I don't hit any walkers, even if they're being straight up retarded.
That's how it is and if I don't like it I don't have to ride that bike, I can walk.
When Im driving my private vehicle with 4 wheels, I have the responsibility to make sure I don't hit any cyclists, even if they're being retarded. If I don't like this, I can ride something more vulnerable with less responsibility, like the bicycle.

When I'm out with all 18 wheels, I have to watch out for all you fucking retards and have more regulation than you can even think of off the top of your little head. And guess what I didn't like it, so I mostly don't do it anymore.
I didn't argue that everyone else go through a Class A process, submit to drug testing and fingers in their ass, I just was low bar intelligent enough to know fair isn't treating literally everyone the same, manlet, elsewise try driving without your adjustable seat.
>>
>>1752851
I don't remember seeing any proposals to drug test aspiring cyclists. Just a system to ensure that they understand basic things like no riding on sidewalks, no blasting through crosswalks screaming at pedestrians to get out of the way, bicycles must travel in the same direction as motor vehicle traffic unless there is a marked two way bike lane. You know, the normal basic safety rules that cyclists seem incapable of following.
>>
>>1751703
You're talking about yuppies with blonde children and cargo bikes. Equally as entitled as your classic boomer Karens, but not nearly as unhinged.
>>
>>1752482
Walking General on suicide watch
>>
>>1752854
>not nearly as unhinged
Probably because they don't see you as a threat to their brand-curated #coexist (as long as you don't challenge my beliefs in any way whatsoever) liberal bubble
>>
File: 1614181693532.gif (443 KB, 480x238)
443 KB
443 KB GIF
>>1752852
>I don't remember seeing any proposals to drug test aspiring cyclists
And I don't see them for regular motorists either. It's just people with licenses like me get because we're heavier, take longer to stop, are harder to control, and have more blind spots. (At least that's the justification)
I chose that example because it clearly doesn't make sense to do that for another road user, to show I'm not here bawling about 'not fwair' like a children as OP is.
Fair =/= exactly the same
But, here:

>Just a system to ensure that they understand basic things like no riding on sidewalks
This is a problem with traffic control if the cyclist feel compelled to mount the sidewalk

>no blasting through crosswalks screaming at pedestrians to get out of the way
It isn't the norm, and should they hit anyone or cause a problem, the cyclist will be downed or dead closeby to be held accountable, unlike motorists who could escape the scene.
Why don't you understand the difference?

>bicycles must travel in the same direction as motor vehicle traffic unless there is a marked two way bike lane.
Those sorts of bike lanes aren't even safe and I refuse them.
>>
>>1752851
>Just a system to ensure that they understand basic things
Wait you guys don't do cycling proficiency at school?
>>
>>1752860
No, nor do we do drivers ed.
I did have it assigned but I was already an older 17 year old and all we did was watch Supersize Me because it was just a marking period of health class.

In the US, bikes are considered children's toys to be outgrown of and you're only expected to ride them around the lake in a loop or in your parents driveway

You'll notice that's one of the reasons cagers flip out so hard. They think of cyclists as annoying childrren who won't listen.
>>
>>1752859
>This is a problem with traffic control if the cyclist feel compelled to mount the sidewalk

There are a lot of scenarios where a cyclist might choose to break the rules for reasons of personal safety. For instance "blowing" (aka disobeying in a way that triggers cagers) a red light because the intersection is clear and there's a turning box truck and a dodge charger revving its engine waiting to murder you when it turns green. When to conscientiously break the rules and what rules should be changed or what street designs need to be reconsidered are separate issues from knowing that rules exist and apply to you. These things apply to motorists too btw and nobody is arguing that drivers licenses shouldn't exist because most people will choose to go 70 in a 55 zone if everyone else is going 70 or for that matter go 25 in a "minimum 45" zone because of whiteout blizzard conditions

>It isn't the norm

0/10 terrible bait, try harder next time
>>
>>1752862
>There are a lot of scenarios where a cyclist might choose to break the rules for reasons of personal safety.
I agree, that's why I said it's a matter of traffic control.
Most of the times I find myself doing this, it is because I'm on a 25mph road or so that people wanna do 40mph on.
If they enforced the speed limit on that road in town, there'd be less kids strapped to boards and taken away in ambulances

>When to conscientiously break the rules and what rules should be changed or what street designs need to be reconsidered are separate issues from knowing that rules exist and apply to you
I truly don't understand your point here.

>0/10 terrible bait, try harder next time
Are you retarded? No, it's not the norm. Even the most retarded cyclist generally has enough good sense not to die.
Bicycles have no blind spots, stop easier, and in the event of a crash, the cyclist is vulnerable enough to catch and hold responsible if need be.
What many motorists see or describe as 'blowing' and intersection is just a cyclist doing a responsible rolling stop. (Probably half in the name of THEIR safety as you've described)

No, in no world is it the norm for cyclists to wantoningly and dangerous blow reds and stops.
You're just mad you can't do a rolling stop too in a car without considering the reasons that make your rolling stop more dangerous.
>>
>>1752864
>I agree, that's why I said it's a matter of traffic control.
You agree, and yet you seem to be arguing that "traffic control" and "a licensing system" are mutually exclusive rather than complimentary.

>I truly don't understand your point here.
How much simpler can I make it for you? It is impossible to come up with a system of safety rules that can specify the safest action in 100% of cases. You do the best you can, but no matter how carefully you design the system, situations will always arise where obeying a rule is less safe than following a rule. That's why self driving cars are so hard to design. You make something that works in 99% of cases, that sounds great until you realize that means it crashes once every 100 miles.

>Are you retarded? No, it's not the norm.
Maybe it's not the norm in Kearney or Beardstown but I guess I assumed we were talking about bicycle traffic in places where using a bicycle for transportatio/n/ is relatively common.

>You're just mad you can't do a rolling stop too in a car
I don't have a car and I've probably driven 500 miles total in the last 25 years, if anything you should be arguing that I'm too ignorant about cars to be allowed to use car analogies
>>
>>1752866
>You agree, and yet you seem to be arguing that "traffic control" and "a licensing system" are mutually exclusive rather than complimentary.
Oh nah, I didn't mean to give that impression.
I just don't think it's reasonable to license and register cyclists.

>situations will always arise where obeying a rule is less safe than following a rule
Um yeah, I agree. That's why I don't mind cyclists choosing to not use lights, or ride of the sidewalk, or not wait at the red, or whatever else keeps us safe in crazy America.

>I assumed we were talking about bicycle traffic in places where using a bicycle for transportatio/n/ is relatively common
I live in Philadelphia, dude

> if anything you should be arguing that I'm too ignorant about cars to be allowed to use car analogies
Well now I am, man. It sounds like you're agreeing with me here but you're not.
I really don't know with you.
>>
>>1752868
>Well now I am, man. It sounds like you're agreeing with me here but you're not.
It seems to me the reason you're confused is that you're reflexively falling into this twitter mob mentality where it's "the cyclists vs the cagers". So you expect me to either be 100% on your side on everything, or 100% against you, and when I seem to agree with you on one thing, you misinterpret it as an inconsistency with my own beliefs.

The fact is I sort of agree with some of that twitter mob shit but by no means all of it, and regarding licensing, I think americans (ugh americans! they don't have americans in amsterdam) are generally too ignorant about bicycles to not require some kind of formal education on bicycle safety, and that mandatory localized bicycle education, even if implemented as a licensing regime, wouldn't be the worst thing to happen, as anyone who as attempted to walk up or down 7th avenue on a pleasant summer afternoon expecting to be able to use a crosswalk as designed would agree. Let alone using a one-way crosstown bike lane below 59th street. And no I am not talking about the delivery guys, as allergic to rules as they may be, their situational awareness makes their behavior much less of a nuisance/hazard than the average citibike chad/stacy who seems utterly entitled to do whatever the fuck they want even if it endangers everyone around them. Though if delivery guys have to pass a quiz too, that's fine.

It would also benefit the chads and stacies, you wouldn't believe how many meatheads I see falling on their ass and looking shocked and amazed because of some absolutely basic shit that you'd think would be common sense, like "don't try to mount a metal curb at a 45 degree angle in the rain".

And before you "but it would discriminate against undocumented immigrants, no". 100% of the kitchens in NYC run on undocumented laborers, who somehow manage to follow basic food safety rules which are far more complicated. So, no.
>>
>>1752875
I don't understand why cagers have to be an ignorant unchanging mass that everyone else must adapt to in your world
>>
>>1751685
Biggest advantage of this would be mandatory lights. More than half of fatal cycle accidents happen at night, and its pretty safe to assume that in a lot of these cases the riders have insufficient or no lighting at all. Regulation requiring effective lights would save lives from the day it’s implemented.
>>
>>1752986
>its pretty safe to assume that in a lot of these cases the riders have insufficient or no lighting at all
That being said I have numerous times gone without so as not to be a target of torment/drunks
>>
>>1752977
Don't understand or won't understand? I didn't go to the rice paddies and get shot at so you could lounge around and smoke jazz cigarettes while listening to your Paul Robeson records. You don't even pay road tax! Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Want a tip, kid? How about cut your damm hair and get a job! If you didn't give all your money to the soda jerk buying phosphates for that floozy, maybe you could afford a car instead of riding around on a schwinn like a boy of 10.
>>
>>1752991
>That being said I have numerous times gone without so
That should be illegal and punished by revoking of bicycle license privilege.
>>
>>1753005
doesn’t need to be punished by revocation, maybe just a fine. Where would the money from the fine, and from licensing go? More bike infrastructure.
>>
>>1752986
>More than half of fatal cycle accidents happen at night
It's also night time half the time on average.
>>
>>1753005
Too bad, I'm doing what it takes to stay alive.
Sounds like you've never had a townie after you seeing how close they can get
>>
Thought I accidentally wandered onto /o/ for a moment with all the seething cagers ITT.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.