[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 57 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Third World Island edition

Sticky: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lxDKFTLO4x771l06T9y331XYhlc6TqYj-hfhl91iXXU/edit
>>
Why are American salaries so much better than European? It feels like USA has the most cheap and crafty companies and an abundant inflow of cheap labor.
>>
>>1748877
Our wages are high but the number of American flag ships is extremely small so there’s not very many openings on traditional “ships”.
Both high wages and the lack of ships can be attributed to consequences of the “Jones Act” our national defense related law that exists to preserve a domestic mariner labor pool and ship building industry.
Therefore Jones act shipping pays very well, but if a route isn’t designated as Jones act, there’s absolutely no reason to pay Americans (or Europeans either) to do the job, thus the Indians/Turks/ flips/chinks etc come in.

And although there’s pathetic few big ships in the American merchant marine, there is a vast fleet of offshore and coastwise tugs and work boats of all sizes who are Jones act regulated and pay very well.
>>
File: ladderfail.webm (903 KB, 426x774)
903 KB
903 KB WEBM
Risk assessments are overrated
>>
Can you give mo details? I would assume it happened in some 3rd world shithole like Phillipines or Indonesia but those 3 are clearly taller.
>>
How useful are language certificates in the shipping industry?
For example would it be easier to find work as a deck officer in a german company if I speak german and can prove it on paper?
>>
File: shid.png (519 KB, 500x598)
519 KB
519 KB PNG
Happy New Year, /mg/gers
>>
>>1748858
how do you ship drivers deal with the fear that comes from the fact that if the ship sinks, there is probably nobody that can save you? there is nothing scarier than being trapped inside a sinking ship or submarine.
>>
>>1749133
The guys on the bridge have the quickest escape route and are closest to the lifeboat if it’s a stern launch type.

But really, vessels either sink slowly enough for there to be lots of time to muster for abandoning ship, or they sink catastrophically in a rapid fashion and nobody gets out (see El Faro)
>>
File: jdr2bqsnzymz.jpg (55 KB, 800x437)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>1748858
>do offshore safety course
>cant have a dummy lying around during the blind fireman shuffle excersize because UNSAFE
>cant do a 3m high walkoff with a immersion suit because UNSAFE
>cant flip a liferaft thats facedown because UNSAFE
What the fuck man
>>
>>1749227
NO SAFETY
SMOKING FIRST
>>
How is the vision test for the MMC done? I have one eye that is 20/200 (without glasses) or maybe even a bit worse, but the other eye is better and when they work together I see as well as the good eye. So do they test each eye or both at the same time?
>>
Have you guys ever sat at the filipino table by accident?
>>
File: FIjU2ZVXEAMbuu-.jpg (72 KB, 680x510)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1749227
safety is gay, there I said it
>>
>>1749227
no safety; smoking first
>>
What do you guys think?
>>
>>1749657
Is that off the books?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z04ZQTjGBg
>tfw you're not a cruise ship officer and get to fuck bimbos like this every contract
>>
I watched Seaspiracy and you guys should stop putting your trash in the ocean
>>
>>1749659
I don’t know what that means. This is what we do to our wires for lay up and it’s a fucking pain in the ass, had to do 7 more of these plus 4 with kevlar ropes.
>>
how the fuck do you even get into this industry
>>
>>1749694
>I watched Seaspiracy
Kek, people actually watch those bullshit documentaries? Let me guess you think Drugs Inc and Trafficked with that ugly jew is real too.
>>
>>1749657
We usually did a final loop at the end to choke it
>>1749694
I never watched it but we follow international codes so take your conplaints to the IMO.
>be good little seafarer and put all the shit in the shit tank
>dont leave Angolan waters for 3 months
>cant dump the shit in the water, because MARPOL
>give shitwater to shore facility
>shore facility just dumps it into the port anyway
>>
How can people be so lazy and stupid that they dump trash in nature?
>>
>>1749854
lousy education
>>
>>1749773
Go to school
>>
>>1748918
Rip laddermen. May P&O club pay well to your families
>>
>>1749773
By reading the fucking sticky, twat.
>>
File: QzLwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==.png (203 KB, 1537x943)
203 KB
203 KB PNG
Biden: guys, pls dont go to Venezuela, is illegal
The guys:
>>
>>1749926
>access denied
i will when it's open to the fucking public faggot
>>
Anybody have info/opinions on the MITAGS program in Seattle? Thinking of doing their 24-28 month 3rd mates unlimited program
https://www.mitags.org/
^link if that helps
>>
>>1750069
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lxDKFTLO4x771l06T9y331XYhlc6TqYj-hfhl91iXXU/edit

Turns out I was the twat all along. See if that works
>>
File: 1629513402677.jpg (79 KB, 976x850)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
is being a mate based or cringe?
>>
>>1750193
>posting on 4chan
you tell me, frogposter.
>>
>>1750194
I don't know i'm asking you
>>
File: 1638410113648.jpg (65 KB, 657x527)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>1750197
I think the answer is yes but I'd have to consult my book
>>
File: 20220110_195216.jpg (2.42 MB, 3072x4096)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB JPG
Superior is scary this time of year
>>
>>1750042
Is the cargo just loaded onto new ships outside on the islands?
>>
>>1750468
In the past yes
Alternatively they used to move it to West Africa and STS it there

Now that Trump is gone nobody cares anymore, they just do it kinda openly. The US is not enforcing its own sanctions anymore.
>>
>>1750136
it does
>>
>>1750504
Hell yeah gamer
>>
>>1750513
Excuse me but that sailorperson on the bow is not wearing his type 1 PFD, hard hat, ear and eye protection.
This is a serious violation of policy and must be immediately addressed.
>>
>>1750288
The soo is closed dingus
>>
any of you guys recommend sailors union of the pacific or seafarer's intl? thinking of taking stcw course and signing on with them
>>
>>1750792
They’re sister unions from what I understand, could be wrong though
>>
>>1748918
>>1749907
Is a fall like that deadly?
What kind of damage are we looking at here?
>>
>>1750879
It looks pretty warm, he’s probably hurt bad from the fall but as long as the ship doesn’t squish him he probably survived
>>
>>1750904
Luckily for this dude there's fenders between the ship and the dock. Looks like he first slammed his face against the ship then against the dock. Prolly not dead but i'd guess brain damage at the least
>>
Is working as en engie on a dredging vessel interesting?
>>
When did this seagull test before recruiting meme start?
Had to do this shit for a contract on a rank i have 30 months of.
Googled the answers by the way, fuck (((crew department)))
>>
>>1749227
ships name:

Based AF
>>
>>1751006
https://apkresult.com/en/seagull-assistant-apk
Good luck m8, dunno if its got a virus its your risk. Should have all the awnsers
>>
you guys think we'll be automated in the next 10 years?
>>
>>1751069
I think it will start off as remote control. Carry out the watch from an office. When full automation does come it'll be a few years before regulations catch up, some nasty accidents will happen but companies will still push for it considering the sheer volumes of wages that will be voided.
>>
>>1751069
its going to be gradual but with time deck officer will meet the same destiny of radio operators.
Probably first word people will operate from drone control room were they overlook like 10 ship per person, while a third worlder is kept on board as a legal scapegoat in case shit goes sideways.
>>
>>1751069
>>1751153
>>1751154
How are machinists going to be automated? 2022 and they still have to go rounds every few hours. A computer can't fix broken things on the ships, do maintenance at sea etc etc. I think it's still a long way to go
>>
>>1751026
Cheers
>>
>>1750513
>that massive shitstain
Indian crew?
>>
>>1751069
The USCG moves so glacially slow, it would take them 20 years from the day they begin to seriously discuss the regulations changes.
Jones act shipping will survive.
>>
>>1751006
Had to pass seagull ces 4.1 back in 2006
>>
>>1751257
Damn, sounds like i was lucky so far
Got the job btw took the flight last night
>>
>>1751494
We have mandatory seagull courses for our maritime college
>>
>>1751165
They will implement drone ship first on short coastal rountes (think container feeder)

Arrival and departure manouver can be taken care by pilot + helmsman (a la great lake pilotage).

Maintenance can be performed in port by contractors. Obviously is gonna be more expensive, but the cost are probably way less than having a full crew onboard everyday

Longer hauls will be the last to be automated probably.
>>
File: 1611503106386.jpg (55 KB, 400x400)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>chinese crew
>cooking inside their own rooms
>bedroom walls are black with soot
>>
>>1751687
What are the Chinese like to work with? I've only known flips.
>>
>>1751891
I didn't work with them, a guy I know bought the ship from ex-Chinese owners

I think they usually go for homogenous Chinese-only crews, no mix and match
>>
Are Electronics Technicians in demand for offshore positions? Like oil rigs and such?
>>
>>1752697
Yes they are and highly paid
>>
>>1751687
>room
>bedroom
>walls
>>
If any of you are on a ship passing between the UK and the Isle of Wight. Let me know and I will drone drop you a McDonald's.
>>
File: 272030227.jpg (362 KB, 2000x1417)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
VGH....
>>
File: 1629430875064.jpg (166 KB, 750x933)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
what do you guys do in your time off?
>gone for months at a time so it doesn't make sense to rent a place so I live at my mom's house
>no friends/gf since i'm gone half the year and don't see them
>no hobbies besides ship related stuff that only applies to huge nigger ships and not sail boats or anything

pretty much just drink and shitpost, saving up for that down payment on a house
>>
>>1754101
That’s what I did, but ended up having to pay apartment rent. $18k annually.
I just kept saving, drank and played video games, gym, and played guitar. Video games aren’t as much fun, unless I’m drinking. I’m closer to 30 than 20, and everyone works weekdays, or doesn’t want to go out. I don’t know where or how to make friends at this age, that doesn’t involve drinking.

So I bought bicycles for me
And my old lady. Gonna get into mountain biking. Seems like it could be a fun hobby, and something I can do alone. I also have a home now, and projects.
>>
>>1754101
My grandpa was a chief engi
He saved up to buy an entire apartment building and be a landlord
Then he saved up enough to join as a partner in a factory making plastic bags
That's when he thought he made it and stopped going on ships
Then the factory business failed
Then he sold the apartments to pay off debts
Then he had to go back on ships

He died of lung cancer in 1984, less than 60yo
>>
>>1754101
I come from a coastal town where a decent % of people work on ships of all types, from mates and engineers on giga ships to yacht deckhands and skippers

I just hang around with friends they're used to it. If I feel like discussing ships which are also my hobby I message various people that work the same job to see who's home and meet up for a drink. With women it's a gamble, you're most likely going to get fucked over because of your absence.
>>
>>1754101
I split rent with a friend of mine who works in professional motor sport, so he gets the house to himself while I’m gone, but he’s usually out of town 3-5 days a week anyway so I get the house to myself most of the time when I’m off

Otherwise I play a bunch of vidya, and luckily have a large amount of friends who also work rotational type jobs, so I spend a lot of time being a degenerate with them

We also spend a lot of time fucking around with guns, pic related
>>
File: 1616965544051.jpg (83 KB, 868x751)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1754376
>only downside is that you're unlicensed, work on a tug boat and you're a faggot
>>
>>1754276
Gramps never even got to experience the thrill of scrubbers and biofuels
>>
>>1754393
Why did I lol so hard at this?

Every American ITT works on tugs, yet are humble enough not to be namefags.
>>
>>1754427
Still don't really get why we hate namefags, in a slow general like this I kind of like knowing who people are

>>1754101
Used to have a permanent apartment but put my stuff in storage this year and went gypsy mode. Generally I stay in Airbnbs in Florida while taking maritime classes.

I kind of want to start picking up side work while I'm off. Otherwise I just read, ride my moto, visit friends and family, etc. May start travelling again now that people have decided to stop caring about Gook Herpes 19.
>>
>>1754393
(You)
>>
>>1755094
Damn thats a pritty picture, saved
>>
>>1755173
Thanks

>>1754647
You doing classes at MPT?
>>
File: PAUL_R.TREGURTHA.jpg (37 KB, 800x478)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
Hey lake frens, are you aware the Paul R Tregurtha has been sold for scrap?

I don't know much about lakes but the name rings a bell, is she famous?
>>
>>1755286
Ol’ girthy, where is she being scrapped port colborne?
>>
>>1755310
I only know that she got $610/LDT which seems very high for a vessel not being scrapped in the subcontinent.
>>
>>1755286
There was a documentary she was in, I’ll find it when I get cell service again.
Interesting they’re scrapping it when Interlake is still running other older vessels.
>>
>>1755249
>classes at MPT
I am indeed. Just wish Ft. Lauderdale wasn't so expensive.
>>
>>1755419
Sneed Smith? i'm in your coastal nav! that's so crazy
>>
>>1755419
I’m sure I’ll run into you at some point, have three nav classes coming up in march
>>
File: aborted gf grandfather.jpg (178 KB, 1080x2028)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>1755440
Can't wait to be done with these classes man, I'm just hemorrhaging money. Btw tugfag I think we got an assist from one of your old boats in Boca a few months ago. The white and black ones. They had a cute lil boat dog on board.

>>1755424
That you, Chuck?
>>
>>1755704
Was the boat the Mary M by chance? She was the only one they had that was small enough to work down there. Even then we never really did anything outside of the Port of Palm Beach. Also nobody there had a dog, so I’m thinking it had to be someone else.
Pic related is the small boat.

Also yeah I’m pretty lucky in that my company has paid for all of my classes so far. You on a yacht or something?
>>
>>1755794
Yup almost positive that was it. Knew I recognized it. And I misremembered... It was Palm Beach, not Boca. Right by Peanut Island. We (tug) had a barge loaded with whatever pic related is.
>>
File: thing1.jpg (3.65 MB, 4608x3456)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB JPG
Forgot pic
>>
>>1755810
Ahh okay, definitely was one of their boats then. Also that thing is fucking wild looking.
>>
File: 1633869770598.jpg (445 KB, 1401x824)
445 KB
445 KB JPG
>sent home because of cold
>>
>>1749657
Hey, that's my port.
>>
I'm a 25 yo college grad working a boring data analyst job making like $70k per year. Am I retarded for wanting to quit to go do AMO's STAR Center TECH program that gives you 3rd AE after 2 years for no cost, you just have an obligation to sail with AMO for 5 years after that? Based on my research 3rd AEs make like $100k-$120k/yr which is probably more than I'd be making in 2 years at this job anyway, plus assuming I'm working something like 180 on/180 off I'd be working less days in a year than I currently do at my office job. I kind of want to get out and do something interesting before I get too old, I just wish I knew this whole industry existed when I was 18.
>>
>>1755878
i'm sorry you have to live there anon
>>
>>1755934
what the fuck is AMO, STAR, AE ?
>>
>>1756161
read the sticky
>>
>>1756170
You think anyone is stupid enough to follow an outside link that registers your google accounts?
>>
I am doing STCW A-VI /2-1 course and since the instructors kid god covid, they kinda dont know what to do with us and we played with lifeboat enough, o they offered us helicopter pickup tomorrow. If it happens (the heli can get called off o real emergency at any point) It will be my first time on a chopper. And all that so I can lead cars on a ferry
>>
>>1756178
then stay ignorant I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure you'll rest easy knowing some random guy on 4chan didn't have the chance to know that you read an infodump on the maritime industry.
>>
>>1756170
retard, I'm a master mariner and idk wtf that shit means
>>
>>1756226
>master mariner
>has never heard of AMO
maybe believable if you're not american
>>
>>1756227
the lakes will swallow you whole
>>
>It varies with your experience, your company, and the greater economy. At the time of this writing, the day rate for deckhands/ABs is commonly somewhere in the $200s. Engineers, mates, and captains might earn anywhere from the $300s to $500s per day, or more if the industry is booming.

>$200’s a day
$16-25/hr, working a minimum of 12 hours a day, with no OT. Please tell me none of you actually work for such wages?

My captain makes like $670/day. He bitches about how he used to make $400/day, 30-40 years ago, and was making such a better salary, before inflation and wage stagnation. That was $1000/day he made.

Some captains I’ve worked with, were making almost $1k a day, doing OSV work and working oil in the gulf.
Then I see ads for 3rd world shitholes, paying for a month, what I make in a day. The fuck is wrong with the world?
>>
>new hire Turd Mate
>While I’m Mate on Watch, Chief Mate tells me to drive this doctor guy up and down the pier at his leisure
>do this
>come back two minutes later, get called into Captain’s office and screamed at for deserting my post
>goes into the log as official counseling, told I was this close to being fired and sent home
I just can’t win. Lesson learned I guess
>>
>>1756336
Wow that sounds like some dumb shit, what gives leaving the bridge when youre already berthed? Also why'd cap'n get mad at you when it was the CO who instructed you?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.