[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 33 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

How much did you bike in 2021?

2,540 miles here
>>
Post legs
>>
File: file.png (6 KB, 397x137)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>1746718
I don't have massive legs. A lot of this distance is cheating because I ride every morning for a commute and the morning ride is a lot of downhill including a stretch where i hit 40 mph coasting down. however. the ride back uphill in the evening is pretty tough, i only hit 6-7 mph on the finishing 2 miles straight uphill
>>
about 4000km logged on strava, but I don't log work rides so it's probably double that
>>
File: 2021.jpg (662 KB, 2280x1635)
662 KB
662 KB JPG
Strava says 11,000.1, but my log shows 35 less than that so I forgot to enter one ride last year.

Almost entirely in the city. I didn't want to deal with sunscreen so nearly all my rides during the summer were in the evenings.
>>
>>1746811
kilometers that is
>>
>>1746715
not a super high mileage year, but had a lot of fun
>>
>>1746749
IMO coasting downhill then climbing back up is more work than riding the same distance on flat ground, so I wouldn't call that cheating
>>
>>1746715
lmoa as if you didn't just manually input that number. Nobody posting unironically on this web site actually goes outside.
>>
File: file.png (21 KB, 1178x235)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>1746836
I barely go outside besides work and a few hobbies, and I have to use subway trains and bike because I'm too autistic to drive a car.
>>1746833
I guess that's true. These are the three hilly parts I go up on my ride home and I bet that the climbing up them (especially the middle one) is a lot more of a workout than my flat riding where I go at 16-20 mph
>>
File: 20210919_145948.jpg (3.76 MB, 3264x2448)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB JPG
8731 km

can't post pic of bike computer because i reset it today, so here is a pic of my bike instead
>>
>>1746715
~6200 km
>>
>>1746851
as a junk wheelman anon, what are your standards?
I don't really fuck with steel rims, or joytech-tier hubs that are rough, or single wall rims that are out of true, or nutted hubs unless they're very nice ones

there just seems no point in going so low when junked better stuff exists

that trailer and your touring bike are sick
>>
>>1746831
and that's all that matters :)
>>
>>1746715
due to an injury (fracture on my leg) I got while riding, was out for too long in the middle of the year.
managed to end it with just over 1200 miles. that was my first year really going for miles. will at least double that this year.
>>
File: 20210919_151111.jpg (3.38 MB, 3264x2448)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
>>1746851
the trailer and its content belong to a local bike workshop that had to move across town because the venue is being renovated. was great fun hauling all that stuff.
>>
sry, >>1747261 was meant as a reply to >>1747220
>>
about 1600 miles, 1300 logged, estimated 300 unlogged. couldn't stay healthy all fucking year. managed to fuck up my right achilles tendon, head, and right hand, and of course gained weight while not riding and being a miserable sad cunt. did around 8000 the year previous. hoping this year will be better.
>>
File: 2022-01-03_16-13.png (520 KB, 720x783)
520 KB
520 KB PNG
Not counting going to the grocer and short trips around the city.
>>
>>1746843
>I'm too autistic to drive a car.
what? autists are good at driving. You might just be retarded, it's not the same thing.
>>
>>1747450
do you know any autists that are good at driving?
stop talking out of your ass
>>
I stopped logging my rides, but I did my first 100km ride this year and was pretty proud of that. I haven't been cycling seriously for too long, but learned a lot this year and excited to try for a 100mi ride next season.
>>
File: strava.jpg (123 KB, 720x1600)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
that's sport rides only
probably another 1000km commuting
>>
>>1747461
randy pobst and sebastian vettel are definitely on the spectrum, also anyone with a miata at a trackday or autox is 100% autistic as fuck
>>
>>1747462
Imo if you can ride 100km you can ride 100mi no problem. The difference is really just how much food and water you need to bring and how much time you should allocate for the ride
>>
>>1747466
How tf do you ride for 250 hours and only cover 4 km?
>>
Is there some place where I can upload a bunch of GPX tracks and it will give me the total length?
>>
>>1747519
You can upload to ride with gps on a free account
>>
2,134 miles & 138,255 ft climbed
>>
>>1746715
Battery died midway through the season but odometer was about 800-ish before that and 1500 now.
>>
>>1747501
I think so too, but I was feeling pretty beat up after the 60 mile ride. I think I need to improve my bike fit a bit or maybe try it on a geared bike, I used a fixie for it and it was feeling a bit rough by the end.
>>
>>1746715
I just shitpost about bikes here instead
>>
>>1747461
If you're genuinely "too autistic to drive" you're also "too autistic" to be getting the subway or cycling. Since you can string a sentence together I assume you're not the literal pants shitting non verbal kind of "autistic" (which is actually just retardation but people don't want to admit it). So you're taking out your ass.
>>
>>1746715
about 4000km commuting, maybe 1000k recreational riding on top of that

I don't have a computer
>>
>>1747799
>If you're genuinely "too autistic to drive" you're also "too autistic" to be getting the subway or cycling.
again, talking out of your ass. so I'm guessing no, you don't know any autists who drive. there's certainly people who are too autistic to drive but can still manage public transportation, that's how a spectrum works
>>
>>1747502
Would be 16km per hour as average speed, okay commuting speed.
>>
>>1747501
60 is trivial for me but for whatever reason I fade incredibly hard after mile 80, or really after 4.5 to 5 hours. If I could bring my average speed up, centuries would be much easier coz then I wouldn't hit that time limit until the finish is nearly in sight.
>>
>>1748114
if you brought your speed up, you'd just bonk earlier
>>
>>1748114
Probably nutrition related, IIRC your liver stores about 1500 calories worth of glycogen which it can quickly turn into sugar, this is enough to cycle for about 4 hours, then it runs out and you bonk because your body has to start turning proteins and muscle into sugar to keep you going.
>>
File: 1640771051661.png (681 KB, 640x640)
681 KB
681 KB PNG
What do you guys use to track your rides? Why use Strava/any app over a little computer thingy, and vice versa. Im new to biking.
>>
>>1748307
If all you care about is tracking miles you can do that very simply with nothing more than a pencil and paper, and a map to work out how far you rode. A basic cycle computer will track mileage based on wheel revolutions and a basic GPS computer will track your mileage from space and can give you detail about elevation too. The advantage of tracking apps is that they automate the task of taking the data from your GPS device and do the work of generating statistics for you. And finally Strava does that and it also lets you compare your times on specific routes to other people.

Personally, after being into cycling for many years and a filthy casual not interested in competition, I don't bother tracking my mileage closely over time, just track it roughly over days/weeks as it gives me a good idea of how ready I am to do progressively longer rides during the warm months of the year. These days I use a cheap GPS computer I got for free, but for a long time I used a cheap wireless bike computer and that was perfectly sufficient for me.
>>
>>1748307
I just opentracks on android, with my phone on my handlebars. Don't really care for making an account on strava or what have you.
But also been too cheap to buy even a middling bicycle computer, might end up doing it this year sometime.
>>
>>1748307
I use ride with gps, it works pretty well and has a good route planner even on the free tier. It does drain your phone battery a lot though. I never quite got what the advantage of a dedicated bike computer is, unless you want it on your bars for a live speedometer or something.
>>
>>1748138
With my current conditioning yeah. Been spending too much time on the couch instead of on a trainer.
>>1748276
I try to eat 30-50 carbs an hour while keeping electrolytes and potassium up. Comfort is a recurring problem. My left foot has been a bastard since I broke it a few years ago, and while lowering saddle, moving cleats back, and finally finding good insoles has helped me not have to massage and pop it every hour, I'm going to experiment with switching from Specialized to Lake shoes to see if going to a more neutral shoe will make it even better. I just learned that Specialized shoes are canted a little bit because their fit data shows that most people have a bit of forefoot varus, and by eyeballing my feet, I think I'm in the minority of people who don't have that. My feet are also completely flat. Maybe the next foot doctor I go to will have more of a clue than the last one. But in any case I think it would be better to start with a neutral shoe and build in support than have to correct for an unnecessary correction.
>>1748370
Having a digital cue sheet and map in front of you is nice, but the bike computer is necessary when training with power targets or doing cadence builds and the like. Also usually bike computers are better than phones in full sunlight, weather, etc.
>>
4590km and 57700m of climbing.
I don't commute.

>>1746811
I like your your map. I remember you took the time to describe how you create them in some thread some time ago.
>>
>>1746811
>>1748553
Is the map just plotted gpx data from some {min;max} range?
>>
>>1746811
I'm fascinated by the idea of riding every road in my area.
Is there any low-effort way to properly log this?
As a navi app where every street is red and once you cleared it it turns green or something?

I dont want to dick around with bare logging and manual processing but kudos for your effort
>>
>>1751510
wandrer.earth
>>
2300 miles and 135k feet elevation

Some day I'll switch all my shit to metric so I can become a Real Cyclist® but with these kinds of numbers I don't think it's the measurement system that's the problem
>>
>>1751497
A spatialite database that I load all my rides into, then I can display a date range in QGIS.

I made instructions a few years ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lngmjuwmp4u4lwa/GPS%20Map%20Database%20with%20QGIS.pdf?dl=0

>>1751510
Wandrer.earth is great for that, it highlights all new roads you cover with each ride.
>>
File: strava 2021.png (17 KB, 691x299)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
pretty good year all things considered: no more commuting (WFH), baby born end of 2020 (switching to EARLY morning rides for the long stuff)

hopping for a bigger 2022, maybe try a cross race?
>>
>>1746715
>How much did you bike in 2021?
6612 miles in 385 hours.
Normally it'd be closer to 10000, but reasons
>>
>>1746715
Also your pic says 25.40 miles, not 2540 miles.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.