[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 67 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

we could be riding bikes like this but the industry decided to force shitdisc and plasto-carbon on us
>>
and nothing of value was lost
>>
What do you mean? Discs are superior.
Aluminum is common place
Steel is still (heh) available from every major and meme manufacturer
>>
but we are
you're just a facebook-tier retard
>>
that's not a bike that's a two wheeled tank for assholes
>>
/n/ has fallen.. shitdisc slaves
>>
>>1746162
You can just build a bike like that if you want to, they're pretty popular right now.
>>
>drop bars
what is this a race ?
>>
>>1746202
/thread
>>
>>1746162
100% of all v-brakes I have tried were shit. Same goes for cantilever brakes. Disc brakes were an improvment.
>>
>>1746162
holy poorfag cope
>>
>>1746260
what's poorfag about a $3500+ bike? or could you just not know what you're looking at?
>>
>>1746249
t. larper
>>
>>1746249
sheltered much
but yea hydro 200 mm disks or nothin
>>
>>1744886
What about this guy?

I don't get why anyone cares about cycling market trends. Like... Who cares if they make plastic bikes now? Just buy a used one? How many times do you need to buy a bike?
>>
>>1746262
t. pen and paper table top player
>>
>>1746249
>100% of all v-brakes I have tried were shit.
Name the make and model of each brake, rim, pad, lever, cables, and housing that you used. then we'll discuss why your statement is retarded
>>
>>1746397
But generalised statements about dick brakes if fine though, right?
>>
>>1746400
what are the generalized statements about disc brakes?
>>
>>1746162
I wont touch disc brakes, theres just no need for the added expense and hassle. I use cartridge brakes and they work just fine for commuting. If you cant get V brakes to function properly for street riding I feel for you.

Also dont fall for the marketing wank. Shills are everywhere, including here.
>>
>>1746400
No, but each riders specific experiences tell me that a lot of the time disc brakes are a PITA.
>>
>>1746162
>racks and fenders don't match the frame color
hobbo express
>>
>>1746401
read the op
>>
>>1746409
that's just non-specific seething, it's not a generalized statement

the OP statement could just as easily be for arbitrary reasons, a personal view, and not based on any real experience at all. You on the other hand are pretending to be a reasonable person with your nonsense, which is considerably worse.
>>
>>1746403
>a lot of the time [x] are a PITA.
Replace [x] with any bicycle component of choice or indeed you whole bicycle.
>>
File: 1622777372673.jpg (31 KB, 614x586)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1746162
>>1746261
> a $3500+ bike
wtf it's real

https://www.stanforthbikes.co.uk/product-page/kibo-dirt-drop-1
>deore
>microshit
>nonseries crankset
>shitty rims and hubs

Holy shit this thing isn't worth $500
>>
the thing that annoys me about v-brakes and cantis is that they almost all pivot around the post and have built in slop/play so they can.
Even XT level cantis and vs tend to have some slop, just inherently, for how they work, and cheap ones often have a LOT.

This can cause issues with braking, is on the whole minor, but it annoys me. It is mechanically inelegent.

Good caliper brakes pivot without slop.
>>
>>1746412
>Frame & Forks: Lugged frame hand built in England. Reynolds 631 main frame, Reynolds 631 chainstays, Reynolds 525 seatstays, 1 1/8" threadless steerer, Reynolds 631 fork blades
$1500, compare to Gunnar etc
>Headset: Tange Seiki Technoglide 1 1/8" threadless black or silver (Chris King upgrade)
$55
>Shifters: Microshift (friction/index) 10 speed bar end shifters
$80
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT T8000
$100
Front derailleur: Shimano Deore T6000
$80
Chainset: Shimano LX/XT level T551 triple 10 speed 44/32/24
$80
Cassette: Shimano HG50 10 speed 11-36
$30
Brakes: Shimano Deore V brakes black or silver
$40
Levers: Cane Creek V-brake specific drop levers
$40
Rims: 26" Ryde Andra 30, 36 hole black (all our wheels are handbuilt)
Hubs: Shimano Deore T610 36 black (or dynamo hub upgrade)
$250
Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour (2.0"), or Marathon Mondial Performance (2.0") or Continental RaceKing 2.0
$80
Stem: Zenith ahead silver or black
$20
Saddle: Brooks B17 black or brown
$100
Tape: Profile Design cushioned Drive bar tape
$10
Pedals: VP touring
$20

$2485

Seems about right

It is overpriced by $1000
Actually considering unmentioned things like cables and bb and a margin, overpriced by more like $500, your price to buy a tourney level shitter, which evidently would be your preference, as things like deore hubs are garbage.
>>
Or compare it to a Long Haul Trucker, which now costs $2000

It is the premium version of that and less than twice as expensive which could not be said for many premium versions of basic things

Though, true premium things like a dynamo system and tubus racks would push it up
>>
>>1746418
That's not how bike pricing works. A new bike always costs like half of the sum of the retail price of all the individual parts.

>Rims: 26" Ryde Andra 30, 36 hole black (all our wheels are handbuilt)
>Hubs: Shimano Deore T610 36 black (or dynamo hub upgrade)
>$250
Lolwut? The rims and hubs combined are barely $100
>>
>>1746424
It is how boutique touring bike pricing works. They're essentially custom bikes you have someone else build for you.

Infact often you will pay -more- because the builder/shop will mark up the components.

There isn't the broad demand to have any economies of scale or even much offshore labour at play for you.

>The rims and hubs combined are barely $100
wrong
and you're looking at minimium $50 for labour and spokes/nipples, per wheel. Minimum
>>
>>1746411
Well ok then, but that doesnt change my impression that disc brakes arent worth the bother or the expense. I've already made my mind up, I'm sticking with rim brakes.
>>
>>1746412
>n-no, stop picking apart my rim brake shitter I LOVE RIVENDELL
>>
>>1746429
>I've already made my mind up
literally the only reason to stick with rim brakes lol, that and poverty
>>
>>1746433
it's lighter and disc brakes require stiffer frames/forks

on a mtb the latter is a non-issue because big tires and suspension are your suspension and those things work best with a totally stiff frame anyway but on every other type of bike it's a real consideration. Not necessarily a reason not to have discs but still quite significant.

most of the frankenbike and maintenance and potential flaws i think you could put under 'poverty' though, sure.
>>
>>1746400
the pads can be costly unless your shopping on aliexpress, basic disk brake pads $10, average disk brake pads $30
Some pad shapes are subject to scarcity or compatibility problems, its more noticeable with Disk brakes anyway
turn over time for a full adjustment brakes disk brakes takes longer than with V brakes
BSO disk brakes are hardly better than BSO V brakes, their only saving grace is that the wheel rim is protected from how shit they are, the whole bike is shit so who cares

anyway I see disk brakes as being suited to more expensive bikes and heavy duty bikes, its too much for a casual rider
>>
>>1746241
drop bars were invented by tourists
racers are just dorks who appropriated it
plus, look at the stem!
>>
File: loool.png (18 KB, 719x236)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>1746427
>>The rims and hubs combined are barely $100
>wrong
My bad, $80

https://www.bike24.com/p2230409.html
https://www.bike24.com/p297938.html
https://www.bike24.com/p297969.html
>>
File: 1619730726665.png (93 KB, 3000x765)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>>1746433
https://streamable.com/2xs4lh
>>
>>1746433
Wow, you suck at reverse psychology. Why are you pushing those disc brakes so hard? Are you a shill? You sure sound like one.
>>
>>1746443
I would rather be a shill than poor like yourself
>>
>>1746440
>g*rman prices
not real
>>
File: flaired drop bars.jpg (281 KB, 831x593)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
>>1746439
for me its albatross or bullhorns + Inboard bar-ends or an aero bar
not that each shape of bar is named properly in any sense
>>
Drop bars are overrated and bar end shifters are retarded.
>>
>>1746469
I think if we teased out -why- you don't like drop bars then we'd find that they actually make much more sense in a touring setup like that.

And the reason for bar-end shifters is a wide range triple.
>>
>>1746471
be serious, bar ends are shit on anything but aero bar setups
>>
>>1746472
well i do prefer downtube shifters myself
>>
File: trek 8300.jpg (1.62 MB, 2000x2000)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
>>1746472
they're comfy on setups like this too.
>>
>>1746429
That's fine by me. I have nothing against you making an informed choice for yourself.

Personally I've made the opposite assessment. I feel that disc brakes have been worth the bother and expense, and I'm glad the industry have made quiality disk brakes available and affordable.
>>
>>1746477
>get pressured into expensive, stupid consumer choice by corporate marketers
>psychologically rationalize decision retroactively because doing the opposite would mean admitting you fucked up
many such cases

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias
>>
>>1746485
>anyone who makes choices that differ from mine is wrong
>>
>>1746477
Wow that was a reasonable and respecful comment. Unlike the previous edgy 13 year old replies, lol.

My plan is to convert to a modest (3,000 watt) ebike using a 6 bolt spider chain ring adaptor, so even though I've got the hubs for it, disc brakes wont be an option with my setup.
>>
File: ms 010122.jpg (425 KB, 1752x1314)
425 KB
425 KB JPG
>>1746476
i'd really love to try a setup like this. here's my dude. considering putting a velo orange cigne stem on for ultimate comfy + not having a big ugly stack of spacers
>>
>>1746162
I've got a shitbike like this. Cost me £200. Nice and solid steel frame, nice guards, rack, comfy seat, Does the job.
>>
>>1746474
>>1746476
I donate to charities to feed people like you
>>
File: evo brooklyn.jpg (179 KB, 1280x720)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>1746569
Why not delete the whole front setup and get an integrated handlebar basket? Theres a few companies making these and they come in black, white and silver depending on the brand.
>>
>>1746596
i'd like to run a rando bag but i'm just waiting for the nitto decaleur i want to come back into stock.
the wald 137 is a bit of a standard with lots of bags made specifically for it, though, so i'm quite happy with it
>>
>>1746585
i donate my semen in your mum's vagina to produce people like you
>>
>>1746476
those old carbon frames make me so nervous
>>
>>1746585
where's your bike little lad?

>>1746596
are you shitting my dick? that's an awful design idea.

>>1746597
i use the 139 and rivendell's 139-sized bag

>>1746627
i was nervous for a bit, but i'm over it. all the pics of these bonded frames coming apart are the road variant, and there's no bubbling or discoloration to speak of around bonds. that being said, i do run the biggest, smushiest tires i can and keep her on-road only to keep stress off the frame.
>>
>>1746569
the limpdick stems are kinda fun. i have an ungodly stack too, but it's hidden behind the stem bags.
>>
>>1746636
do you think i should go for a black or silver one? i've enjoyed adding silver parts whenever possible but it might look weird not matching the seatpost. but then, maybe that just gives me an excuse to get an expensive seatpost too
>>
>>1746639
desu you're at an awkward stage of mixing neo-retro and contemporary parts. it's not as much black or silver, as where do you want to go aesthetically
>>
>>1746639
>>1746640
if it were me, i would change the fenders, rack/basket, and pedals for something more contemporary or at least black, since most of the other parts are contemporary
>>
>>1746641
or maybe in the other direction - silver stem, seatpost, crankset
>>
>>1746640
>>1746641
yeah it is quite awkward, i just think all black parts is boring... i got the bike stock and have basically just gone for neoretro with every swap/add-on/upgrade
my favourite thing i've done is the waxed lacing twine on the bar tape and to hold the dynamo wiring along the top tube, it's what electricians used before cable ties were a thing
>>1746643
i think i'm more likely to do this. i don't mind it looking a bit cobbled together for now though
>>
>>1746640
this
>>1746639
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/STOOGN/on-one-goose-neck-stem
cheap alternative

I think a silver post would look better also, as you have silver seatpost rails right? This all would mean a silver bar too. Ritchey do some modern cheaper ones.

Imo if you like that brooks then you're stuck on brown and you should keep pushing in the silver/retro direction. Silver spoked wheels would be the key really but I see you have a nice dynamo wheelset and it's a folly to change that unless there is oppurtunity to do so with another bike suiting those wheels and other things that slot into place for it.

really all these questions are nonsense and it is a nice bike already. Having bars actually at saddle height with a brooks on a tourer does make sense imo, and then you favour the drops more. It could be achieved just as well with a longish +17° or +35° stem. UNO ones on aliexpress are quite good. The logos can be scraped off with a razorblade. Your limp dick stem will look stupid, if you get that, get more stupid things to match it.
>>
File: DSC08625-2_1800x1800.jpg (100 KB, 1800x1200)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>1746647
it's a gilles berthoud! i love it dearly. i didn't even consider the actual crust ld since getting stuff to australia from them is annoying, but on looking at it, the raw colourway is really nice.
it has the brass bits which would match with the silver/brass hardware in the saddle and my bell
>>
>>1746645
the twine is a nice detail. It reminds me a little of exhaust wrap. Now just be careful as you descend into cotton bar tape twine and shellack madness, as that is not a place you can come back from.

I would also think to eventually add 1 colour to this bike, not in matchy nonsense everywhere but in say just bartape or just pedals. Blue or Green.
>>
>>1746653
originally i planned to go for purple cotton bar tape and/or purple pedals! but the mks/riv pedals and leather tape ended up being it somehow
>>
File: Capture.jpg (85 KB, 1097x748)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>1746651
oh sorry lol
yes it does look very lovely. If you're lucky enough to find it comfortable too then you should keep it, and raise your bars to suit it more. I would use this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001781872987.html?
It's quite good quality, big rise, 4 bolt faceplate, and the logos scratch off with a sharp razorblade easily enough.

And cheap.
And meaning you can fine tune your position rather than buying 1 expensive meme stem and having to cope with it.
>>
unless you really do want a -lot- more rise. longish 35° stem will give you more
>>
>>1746656
thanks for the tip, i'll consider it. good chat everyone
>>
>>1746420
you think the morons at surly invented touring bikes?
>>
File: jin universe with me.jpg (597 KB, 1200x900)
597 KB
597 KB JPG
>>1746674
well obviously not and it's just a ripoff atlantis and in disc brake world it's kinda redundant and the real one is now discontinued but LHT have been the closest thing to a standard world tourer for the previous 20 years.
>>
>>1746613
thanks dad
>>1746634
"little lad" as if typing these words stops you feeling intimidated when I buy the girl u like a coffee for complimenting my brand new disc brake bike
>>
>>1746676
I can't fucking believe there is no rim brake touring bike being mass produced. I've lost all enthusiasm for the industry and hope these people go bankrupt
>>
>>1746716
things that people buy are being produced. people riding touring bikes huge distances and also purchase new bikes aren't buying rim brake shitters
>>
>>1746716
They're out there, you just gotta look. Or buy a bike and convert it for touring.
>>
>>1746720
>things that people buy are being produced
don't pretend the shift to disc road was organic
>>
i like disc brakes :)
>>
>>1746725
are you claiming disc road don't sell? or that rim road sell? the used market doesn't reflect the new market because the used market is poorfags 99% and rich vintage colnago collectors 1%
>>
>>1746729
the demand was manufactured deliberately
in part because it makes more expensive bikes justifiable and forces race/richfags to buy new wheels.

the fact people buy them is not just organic demand, it's partially a moneymaking scheme.

like they got shilled heavily in the world tour and other pro scenes, despite riders -not- wanting them (if only because they're resistant to any change). That lead to many people wanting them but that was forced.
>>
>>1746730
this is more convoluted than the "BMW uses the EU to kill MGRover" conspiracy and doesn't have years of documentation to back it up
>>
>>1746730
in the peleton it wasn't just shilled, but forced down everyone's throats by sponsors. nobody wanted disc. carbon braking surfaces are just about as good as aluminum now, even in the wet, and the brakes don't suffer from fade or warped rotors like discs continue to.

for trekking bikes, v-brakes are still popular because it's trivial to get parts for them at any bike store anywhere in the world. but, now people who want that sort of thing and need a new frame are having to go custom because the industry really really wants to sell discs.
>>1746733
the bike industry has rammed new standards that nobody asked for down people's throats time and again as a way to push new bikes. disc brakes on road bikes is just one of them. this isn't unique to the bike industry. maybe you weren't around when they were first being pushed, I dunno, but as the other anon said, there was nothing organic about it. it wasn't like one brand introduced a disc brake model that everyone shit themselves over, creating a trend that everyone followed a year or two later. they all introduced disc brake bikes at the same time and forced their sponsored teams to use them.

if you want an example of an organic trend, take a look at gravel biking. it started out as a bunch of cx bros doing something on the off-season, organizing unsanctioned races, and it caught on. mountain biking was much the same, btw. wider tires and rims on road bikes was also organic. people were kicking and screaming and fighting for it until the industry finally listened.
>>
>>1746736
>he believes wider tires and rims are actually real
try actually measuring them instead of just reading the numbers. They are the same size as they've always been.
>>
File: 1602812058934.gif (1.82 MB, 300x277)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB GIF
>>1746162
lol that saddle
>>
>>1746747
what about it?
>>
>>1746747
yes, what about?
>>
>>1746677
hard to post a bike you don't have, i guess.
>>
>>1746737
does reading the numbers on my calipers count
>>
>>1746754
It may as well be a flag saying you're a hipster and like to smell farts.
>>
>>1746726
I like that you like disc brakes. I like even more how you didnt arrogantly insist that everyone should abandon rim brakes if thats their preference.

Happy New Year and happy cycling. :)
>>
>>1746885
the whole bike does
>>
Disc brakes are just better. Sorry not sorry.
>>
>>1746162
We've already greatly improved on that for the modern (admitidly not hardcore) touring machine.
>>
>>1746957
not hardcore at all

32x34 low gear is utterly pathetic for a touring bike, letalone an offroad touring bike. I've ridden on tours with people who have similar gearing. They go into pure suffering mode on any moderate climb, it is hilarious.

22x36 of the OP bike shits all over it, and alone makes it a far better touring bike.
>>
>>1746897
i want a rim brake bike as well so i can have a nice supple flexy fork. i think for rando in particular it makes a lot of sense
>>
>>1746427
I work at a bike shop and ride with a guy that did custom builds out of his garage and had access to buying from the distributors. Even boutique bike companies buy parts from the same disributors that your chain bike store buys from. Your boutique bike shops are probably paying 50-75% of the RRP including shipping. Boutique bike shops just operate at higher margins because they are boutique.

>>1746429
Having used both rim and disc, there is no Korean effort required in setting up and maintaining disc brakes.
>>
>>1746969
>Korean effort
lol what
>>
>>1746969
>herculean
>korean
?
>>
>>1746971
>>1746972
you heard anon. bike parts are a diamond dozen
>>
>>1746969
>>1746971
>>1746972
Should have been "difference in". Auto correct on my phone is gay AF.
>>
>>1746997
no, you're gay as fuck for using autocorrect in the first place
>>
>>1746162
Nobody is stopping you from building a similar bike. Also threaded stems are gay.
>>
>>1747532
where's the threaded stem on op bike, you fucking mong?
>>
>>1746960
can you climb with a ratio of 1
>>
>>1747726
with 20kg extra weight? on a pass? I'd really rather not.
>>
>>1746214
What you said just makes me want a bike like the OP posted. You should work in sales.
>>
>>1746412
what a fucking rip off
>>
>>1746627
so long as the paint is fine they are good to go
>>
>>1746222
>/n/ has fallen.. shitdisc slaves
I've never been on an aluminum or carbon bike. Or used disc brakes, or tubeless, or index shifting, etc.
I've also never entertained the thought that somehow I don't "have enough bike".

>>1746413
Let me guess, you don't like carburetors either.

>>1746651
A steel stem like that is dead simple to make. I can't believe they're selling that bit for $125.
>>
File: brosnan.jpg (99 KB, 1000x800)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>1746885
>It may as well be a flag saying you're a hipster and like to smell farts.
Unfortunately, "architects only" is a long-standing policy at the leather saddle club. I'm afraid I have to ask you to leave.
>>
File: 1638031545129.jpg (404 KB, 790x1072)
404 KB
404 KB JPG
>>1748831
I have your kryptonite right here.
>>
File: ahem.webm (2.81 MB, 800x450)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB WEBM
>>1746885
>It may as well be a flag saying you're a hipster and like to smell farts.
>>
>tfw no avg 10/10 japanese velogf
bros...
>>
>>1748828
eh
my previous car had twin dellortos can't say i miss them not working as well on mountains and having to pay a magician to tune them but i was fond of them

sounds good man

You get me wrong if you take that complaint to mean I don't like cantis. I like cantis.
>>
File: IMG_1337.jpg (494 KB, 1680x1120)
494 KB
494 KB JPG
>>1749040
for me, it's the 6/10 blue lug gf
>>
File: n-nurse-a-20160721.jpg (831 KB, 2653x3529)
831 KB
831 KB JPG
>>1749044
for me, the 6/10 tarck gf
>>
>>1749047
for me it's the 5/10 hardcore roadie gf
>>
>>1749044
that's a very cute bike
>>
>>1749052
for you
>>
>>1749049
I recognize that Shino.
>>
File: DSC08105 (Custom).jpg (1.88 MB, 4000x2667)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
this is now the rigid 90s mtb project thread

nearly finished speccing up the frame i got from the dump to flip

How much do you guys think this should sell for? Everything has been overhauled, it rides very well, plaingauge tange cromo frame.

new un55 bottom bracket
new x8 KMC chain
new paselas, new tubes
new grips
new cheap wiggle cables
hubs cleaned and repacked, bearings good, double wall rims, shimano hubs
mix of cheap-mid range 8spd stuff but all working good
headset repacked
everything autistically cleaned/greased
aliexpress pedals
nice light marin bar
old 700c SKS fenders, god fitting fenders and making spacers and shit is annoying

the rack is cheap junk and the buyer probably won't like swinging a leg that high so i just put that on for test rides.
>>
File: DSC08103 (Custom).jpg (1.31 MB, 4000x2667)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>
File: DSC08104 (Custom).jpg (349 KB, 3000x2000)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
the mullet brake setup is deliberate but i didn't think it through until after i'd committed and then had to add this cable stop
>>
>>1749073
my man
>>
>>1749102
why no rear fender? i would say it's the more important one to have. lookin pretty clean, though!
>>
>>1749101
I'd just ride it. You literally won't net anything and will only just about make back what you've spent on it if you're an "I know what I got" asshole.

If I saw a listing with "Everything has been overhauled, it rides very well" or listed all the work done (as you have) I wouldn't go anywhere near it, because you Know What You Got and are simply going to be overcharging. It's still a shit old 26" bike, I don't care if the tyres are new or you threw an entire parts bin at it.

basically you've done fucked up unless someone really retarded comes along. and then you should feel bad for scamming a retard.
>>
>>1749101
$250 tops, and it might take a while to move at that price.
>>
>>1746162
>implying I am not riding a modern* bike like this
*)It's from 2016, but still.

>>1746424
>hand built in England
A mere 3500 dollarinos is a steal.
>>
>>1746441
Are they near train tracks, what the heck?
>>
>>1749168
I'd say a front one is more important since the front wheel sprays shit all over your shoes legs and face while the rear just protects your butt and back (which are already protected by whatever's on the rear rack anyway)
>>
File: campagnolo buick.jpg (79 KB, 727x408)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>1749181
yeah this is about it. Maybe 240
I'd do 180 without the tyres/fenders. I might resort to that with some cheap/old tires that hold air. Before maybe $100 rideable but not restored? 50 as a project?
I'm going to try and sell it in person to someone and help them fit it, and fix any issues if they occur. I already have one guy who's interested. I've had a lot of strangers ask me about fixing their bikes/ selling them bikes etc just when i'm working on stuff in my garage. I think there's a market for people who don't want to learn too much about bikes and want something decent and well setup, for moderate money.
I'm curious how well this will work out, if i could do it semi regularly.

>>1749170
I DO know what I got.
You're kinda right. Charging for parts bin parts, or 'upgrades', when an unmolested niceish bike generally has better parts than 'custom' is ridiculous. But I do think high quality wear items especially nice new tires, chain, bb, are worth something, as are full hub overhauls, as those actually improve a bike. And I don't think a casual person could do better buying a used bike themselves and having a bike shop work on it, which can turn into a money pit. So often on used bikes the entire drivetrain is shot and the wheels are shot.

there's also the issue of taking stuff away from enthusiasts/ driving the market up by trying to monetize it, which I dislike, but i think broadly retro enthusiasts only care about high end stuff

>>1749168
It's going on I just have to make some copper pipe spacers to drop it down
>>
File: 69 club.jpg (19 KB, 358x350)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>1748981
AHHHHH IT BURNS
>>
File: DSC08116 (Custom).jpg (682 KB, 3000x2000)
682 KB
682 KB JPG
spaced out with some corks
700c fenders on 26
works, the line could be better but meh
setting up fenders is extremely annoying
>>
>>1749424
I know you've probably got it dialed in, but ohh that pic makes the brakes look like they're touching rubber.
>>
File: IMG_8120 (Custom).jpg (392 KB, 3000x2000)
392 KB
392 KB JPG
>>1749429
well lol it could be better
>>
>>1749044
women's bikes always look slammed like those dogs
>>
File: boike.png (3.13 MB, 1800x1350)
3.13 MB
3.13 MB PNG
>>1749101
Here's my all weather don't care if it gets scratched/chipped 90's mtb commuter/shopper. Frameset is a 93 Muddy Fox, made with Tange ultimate ultralight tubing, so even with the rack, fenders and basket it still comes in at just under 11.5 kg, not bad for an all steel off roader. It's also fairly theft proof with no QR bolts and looks dorky enough so as not to appeal to most for profit thieves.
>>
>>1746162
Gross
>>1746223
Yeah you see those shits outside of every organic food co-op in yuppie neighborhoods. Great job let me just buy $3000 of individual parts online and build myself a bike equivalent to a $1300 pre-built and this somehow makes me look smarter than those evil freds who bought a $3000 bike pre-built that's more fun to ride but noooo, fun is toxic masculinity or smoething
>>
>>1749561
do you really think you can tell the difference between a relatively economical custom tourer and a wasteful one? What if the frame is used, can you tell?

I don't think you'd actually care if such a bike was cheaper or more expensive than something more generic, in terms of hating the rider, right?
>>
>>1749549
very nice
have you done any touring on it, or got something fancier for that?
you've got the same canti routing that forced my hose clamp stop for v-brakes. I'd never really come upon those before.
I think I prefer the hard stop on the brake bridge and an extra piece of housing just because it says more like 'look at me ! im a cool brake!' then again on a smaller frame size it would limit straddle cable height

>11.5kg
very respectable.
that plaingauge mt shasta is 12.5 kg with fenders
larger size but no rack
I also thought that was quite good.
>>
>>1749424
that looks sick! very riv
>>
You're not going to be hammering your bike back together in the middle of the Andes you fucking larper.
Brifters and hydro dicks work exponentially better than the old trash they replaced. Can you even find a single documented case of a brifter failing on a tour? Because I will bet you that brake cables snap more often than hydro dicks fail.
>>
>>1749965
I have read the argument on touring sites that rim brakes provide the rider with some backup if his brakes fail and he has to click clack with the locals and trade beads to get their bike fixed. Perhaps when this was a new tech in the 90s that may been the case, but even in the middle of the Andes I can say that every fucking village has a bike shop and they know what discs are.

The only things going for rim brakes are price, weight, which on a loaded tourer is a non issue, and I guess aesthetics
>>
>>1749703
Yes, you can tell by looking at the words on the downtube if it's a VO frame vs a dumpster dived peugeot or something like that. You can tell if it's $30 kenda or $80 rene herse tires. A wheel can be reliably guessed to be customized and handbuilt based on a variety of attributes and contextual clues, and a $200 edelux II doesn't look anything like a skeezy 1000 lumen "HNTGYR" brand amazon light with an internal battery. A hand-forged metal fender looks nothing like a planet bike or zefal fender. And blah blah blah. Without getting into whether any of these is "necessary" (although I challenge you to justify why a metal fender is actually better than a plastic one or even sensible), it is very easy to tell how much someone spent on their bike.

And I'll hate whoever I damm well please, thank you very much.
>>
File: ultimate_04.jpg (97 KB, 800x600)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>1749995
Metal fenders are purdy. Wood fenders are next level shit but really pricey, as expected of nature's own carbon fiber. Reminds me that one of these days I'm gonna get Ghisallo wood wheels with human-made carbon fibre inlays because I wanna put a carbon wheel in my carbon wheel so I can spin while I spin.
>>
>>1746162
That is literally a bike that you can still buy
>>
>>1749995
yes but what if they got a good deal on parts/ it used and so it was sensible money wise?
>>
>>1749979
>The only things going for rim brakes are price, weight, which on a loaded tourer is a non issue, and I guess aesthetics

the main thing is frame and rack design
discs aren't just normal bike + discs, the bike has to change (atleast to work well) because the brake puts different forces on the frame and fork.

They also mar racks
>>
>>1750108
What if I got a good deal on my carbon fred sled? You gonna stop bashing people like me and saying we're "tryhard" or "materialistic" or "victims of marketing"? Of course not. So I'll keep on bashing you and your faux-antique humblebrag machine blinged out with horween chromexcel leather, hand made imitations of old timey tubulars that we're supposed to pretend have a good reason for an exposed cotton sidewall that has nothing to do with vanity, and japanese brass washers and copper rivets and shit like that, to let everyone else know how totally not-consoomer you are because you totally didn't get memed on those things by some well paid bike blogger.

We're enemies, let's not pretend otherwise.
>>
File: Untitled2.jpg (263 KB, 1549x931)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
>>1750114
lol it sounds like you're teetering on the precipice of becoming an unracer
>>
>>1750114
lol did you get a motobecane le champion from bikesdirect or some shit
>>
>>1750110
>because the brake puts different forces on the frame and fork
yeah. yeah nah.
>They also mar racks
ok now this is just poorfag cope
>>
>>1750177
>yeah. yeah nah.
So you think you can just take an ordinary rim brake frame, and put disc brakes on it, and that's totally fine?
>>
>>1750179
I never said that, ESL.
>>
>>1750177
>the brake puts different forces on the frame and fork
>nah
>[disc brakes don't put different forces on the frame and fork than rim brakes]

>>1750182
So what is the reason then?
>>
>>1750185
cry more poorfag ESL
>>
>>1750175
No, I got my bike pre-pandemic so I didn't have to settle for something sketchy to get a good deal
>>
>>1750187
absolutely btfo retard
>>
File: Charlie Cunningham.png (961 KB, 1162x832)
961 KB
961 KB PNG
>>1746162

Reminder that Cunningham created poeak bike in the 1970's
>>
File: cunni.jpg (148 KB, 800x600)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
This bike was winning World series endurance races in the 1990's
>>
The industry is still catching up
>>
>>1750264
>>1750263
>>1750266
I thought the OP bike was ugly but I've never seen such ugly bikes in my life before
>>
>>1750267
agreed lol, there's a reason the bike industry was in the doldrums back then
>>
>>1750266
i need these bars what are they called
>>
>>1750885
Those will be WTB Dirt drops, rare as hens teeth and the last ones I saw went for £175 on ebay.
There are cheaper copies out there, Nitto do some called 'RM-3' which are about the closest, you want them to be at least 56cm wide.
>>
>>1750267
>>1750272
you have no aesthetic taste.
>>
>>1746162
Nobody forced you to buy anything, schizoid.
>>
>>1746162
Just admit that you're either a poorfag who can't afford a really nice bike, or that you're a shitposting troll with nothing better to do, because you're clearly and objectively one of those things.
>>
>>1751438
This. You're a fucking faggot if you disagree
>>
>>1750263
>>1750264
>>1750266
Built up several bikes over the years copyng that incredible silhouette, and they were all fantastic bikes to ride in their own ways, it really demonstrated the difference a frame makes, of course we all know that but when you go for frames that have very similar geometry and near identical components and parts you really get to feel the variation between them, be it the material itself or the type of tubing.

Cunningham was a true visionary and if you love cross country or even light trail riding you should try and put something together using his ideas as inspiration, if you pick the right frame you'll see just what an amazing design it is.
>>
>>1746162
>bicycles if cars never existed
>>
>>1751910
>doesn't know it's $5000+ custom geo bike
>>
File: rambouillet.jpg (709 KB, 2048x1365)
709 KB
709 KB JPG
I could be riding a bike like this, so I ride a bike like this. Don't care about disc brakes on road bikes or carbon fiber, they're both fads that aren't going to last.
>>
>>1750114
you need some unracer dick up your tight lil freddie hole dontcha? make sure to rub yourself down good with that chamois cream or whatever you faggots put on your ass to ride bikes.
>>
>>1752043
Steel rusts
Therefore CF bikes last longer
OOOOH.NOOOO THEY SPLINTER AND FRACTURE I CANT COMMIT TO A MULTI THOUSAND DOLLAR PURCHASE MOMMY MOMMY

^The antiquated hipster gag mentality
>>
>>1752068
HTA is visibly different and you're also gonna need a long ass fork if you want the stack height to stay there
>>
>>1752064
>>1752043
Steelisreal internet memesters always expect you to picture them on a bespoke 3rensho or pegoretti built to their personal body measurements even though in reality 100% of the time they're riding some fucked up mass produced bike boom monstrosity that's on its 4th or 5th owner and barely works. People who have actual good steel bikes don't run around shitting on carbon because they don't need to convince themselves that they aren't missing out on something.
>>
>>1752076
IDK why some people get so hot and bothered by something that's been around since the mid 80s. Carbon didn't kill off steel, they both have their place.
>>
File: boulder.jpg (468 KB, 1193x1193)
468 KB
468 KB JPG
>>1752064
>>1752076
Carbon fiber is a fad, it's not going to last
>>
>>1752076
did you forget to slather?
>>
>>1752064
>uv rays hit carbon biek
>bike delaminates

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.