[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: C172 Skyhawk.jpg (490 KB, 2000x1333)
490 KB
490 KB JPG
These fuckers are EVERYWHERE. Is this some kind of conspiracy?
>>
>>1743121
Well you see when a plane is cheap and well liked, people tend to buy it. And as more people try to start an airline, more people buy the good-Flying, cheap plane
>>
>>1743121
The aviation indutstry has not significantly moved since the mid-60s. Old designs stay functional, and desirable. Combine that with the lack of development capital to make newer aircraft, as well as the higher cost of the few new designs that are on the market, and you get a lot of old monoplane designs with carburated flat engines and 50s-60s design sensibilities, the 172 included.
>>
>>1743121
I have high regard for the Cessna 172 ever since I was playing FS2020 and flying around Alaska. Three hours in, I accidentally into a snow storm along the Denali mountains and was forced to fly purely by instrument. I managed to find a local airport somewhere in the mountains, call for an emergency landing, and landed safely, purely by instrument until the last second when the iced runway became visible. I know it's only a vidya game but man did that feel epic.

If the real C172 Skyhawk is anything like the vidya game version then its modern avionics and instrumentation makes it easy for novices like me to fly as well as its very capable and forgiving handling characteristics
>>
>>1743154
>ever since I was playing FS2020
Opinion discarded
>>
>>1743129
And the FAA being gay and making the life of everyone hell, so only kits and expensive aircraft can progress.
>>
>>1743167
It's a fun game desu senpai.
>>
>>1743191
IDGAF, you're not flying it, it's all virtual, your opinion is worthless
>>
>>1743196
His last paragraph wasn't wrong. Let the man enjoy simming; flying isn't always within everyone's reach or desire. And people actually use sims for some IFR training. They do translate to an extent.
>>
File: 2054261_orig.jpg (262 KB, 1066x800)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
152s look fucking tiny and very cramped inside
>>
it really sucks that the entrypoint to GA is a fucking carburated piston engine plane that barely hits 150 knots (which is slightly faster than the top speed of some 2010s chink car)
i know it's reliable, safeish for noobs and ubiquitous but fuck, that's like learning to drive on a lada
>>
>>1743241
nobody's forcing you to fly in a 60's cessna, don't be a lazy fuck and find a flight school with some sweet Diamonds or Tecnams or Cirrus
>>
>>1743196
JFC sperg calm down. It's not like I'm about to take your job with my Xbox controller. You should be happy normal people are taking an interest in aviation.
>>
>>1743237
They are. When I was working on my PPL, the 172 was out one day, so CFI and I jump in the 152. We're both above 6'-2", and about 200 lb. Couldn't even get the door shut. Plus it was about a million-six degrees. Nope.
>>
>>1743265
you know both windows open and you can damn near hang half your body out of them. Turn on the ADF, tune in an AM rock station and hang an arm out the window for some of the most comfy flying imaginable
>>
>>1743258
>You should be happy normal people are taking an interest in aviation.
Massification is the worst thing that ever happened to aviation
>>
>>1743244
all those are piston engines anon
>>
>>1743270
Gatekeepers are the worst thing to happen to anything. I WILL putter around in my virtual 172 and I WILL have fun, and you can't stop me.
>>
>>1743277
Glorious
>>
>>1743268
I would be so scared to fly with my arm hanging out. What if you smack your arm into a tree?
>>
>>1743277
You're right, stay where you belong to : videogames and virtual world, you don't exist in real life aviation
>>
>>1743302
>being this mad
I'm sorry you're such a bad pilot anon. maybe if you flew a virtual 172 for a few hours you could maybe stick your landing next time.
>>
I'd like to see a brand new 2022 Cessna with all the latest and best shit.
>>
>>1743315
the only thing they really update are the avionics, rest is still 50's technology.
most american GA companies absolutely refuse to innovate, pussy ass fuckers
>>
Since this is the MSFS thread: who makes the best yoke for pc?
>>
>>1743241
Yep, you should see the pilot's who started on something high powered like Cirrus tho. Pull choot
>>
>>1743237
With two people they are. However, flying solo in them is a blast. They handle really nicely when you lose 200lbs of dead weight in the right seat.
I don't like flying the 172 but it is nicer that you have extra weight capacity to go further with an extra soul on board.
>>
>>1743313
Why would I be mad at someone who plays videogames and thinks that his opinion about flying an airplane is somehow legitimate?
It brings me no anger or fun to put you back to your place, you're a bit like some dust on my shoulder that keeps coming back every time that I sweep you with my hand, it costs me no efforts to do it
>>
>>1743277
dude you don't send can't fly a plane. why don't you post in /v/
>>
>>1743364
> don't and can't
>>
>>1743358
And yet here you are, spending the effort to do it. Glad to see the other anon is living rent free.
>>
>>1743396
Spend less time playing videogames and more time to read and concentrate : it costs me no effort to put your beak back in water
>>
>>1743277
>Gatekeepers are the worst thing to happen to anything.
Anything without gatekeepers isn't worth doing

>>1743340
>Yep, you should see the pilot's who started on something high powered like Cirrus tho. Pull choot
What do you mean?
>>
>>1743402
Mkay, honey. Keep seething, I'll be back once something beyond some bored person alone in their apartment shows up.
>>
>>1743414
>Keep seething
Nice projection attempt
Once again, start learning to read properly, you're neither amusing or annoying me, you're just a little chow that seems to come over and over again, no matter how much I kick you away
>>
Holy fuck you have autism.
>>
*buzzes over your house*
I can hear one right now.
>>
>>1743121
Cessna pretty much nailed it with a reasonably cheap, reliable, and very stable design before all the regulations and lawsuits killed off so much innovation in general aviation. DESU even now it's hard to think about how one could really improve on the 172 for its purpose besides switching to composites and giving it a more modern engine.
>>
>>1743405
>What do you mean?
He means pull the parachute!
>>
>>1744533
Switch to composite and make it plug in hybrid
>>
>>1744535
Is the insinuation that pilots who start out on higher powered craft become worse airmen? (Idk, I'm asking)
>>
>>1744541
It's more that Cirrus aircraft have some specific characteristics and if you start out in a Cirrus before moving on to other planes you may have issues. There's also the stereotype of Cirrus pilots being rich assholes who don't follow proper procedures and techniques and thus get themselves killed by doing dumb shit.
>>
>>1744556
Yep, it's the 20th centuary doctor killer
>>
>>1744556
>>1744577
Any other aircraft with somewhat bad reputations?
>>
>>1744736
The Beechcraft Bonanza used to have one, and the Icon A5 is a newer example of a plane that is actually quite safe but has a high accident rate due to idiot pilots (including Icon's own test pilot).
>>
>>1743121
>cheap mass produced thing
>in an industry of extremely expensive small production things
>is everywhere
>conspiricy
>>
>>1743244
ok mr moneybags most people cant afford anything else because for some reason aircraft are exensive as fuck
>>
>>1743237
Love flying solo in a 152. Ultimate Kino.
>>
>>1743418
AW SWEET someone who doesn’t realize there superiority complex is a coping mechanism to hide there deep rooted insecurity’s.
>>
I'm reading about the G1000 indicators right now to use it for MSFS. You mad?
>>
>>1745240
Uh, Henry Ford knew all about conspiracies bro.
>>
>>1743121
You can only have one seat and a trip to south america for flour thats why there really comon in mexico .
>>
>>1743290
a tree at 5000 feet?
>>
>>1743121
YES
>>
>>1746187
It's more common than you think.
>>
>>1743237
designed for taking QTs out on a nice flying date
>>
>>1743326
>most american GA companies absolutely refuse to innovate, pussy ass fuckers
Why? Everything is certified already. There is no reason to go through the expense when you can still sell expensive finished products.
>>
>there is no reason to go out of this cave, it's warm and dry here
>>
>>1743237
That's the kind of stuff that makes a guy want to get an Embraer Brasilia
>>
Just saw one fly over. The wind is so strong today that fucker was flying at like a 45 degree angle.
>>
>>1743326
>most american GA companies absolutely refuse to innovate, pussy ass fuckers
literally what is there to innovate on

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.