[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 59 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Perfect street design.jpg (113 KB, 680x510)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
Is this the perfect street design? Or can you design one better?

Streetmix is a website where you can design a street cross section with various common elements seen on streets like drive lanes, parking lanes, bike lanes, transit lanes, trees, etc.
https://streetmix.net/
>>
>>1735764
no, that's terrible and goes against all modern urban design best practices. You're mixing pedestrians and cyclists in a high density area...
>>
>>1735764
Close. People really overcomplicate street design. Simple streets and small alleys like the one you have posted should make up the vast majority of streets in any city. IMO streets are an appetizer of the urban fabric, but people treat them like the main course. They get over engineered to death and end up using way too much space, most of which is wasted a majority of the time.
>>
>>1735764
Reminds me of the long island NY boardwalk. A nice mix of bikes and walking
>>
>>1735764
I love outdoor malls too
>>
I would say so, yeah. You’ve got onstreet dining, shade, sun, pedestrians and cyclists.
>>
>>1735764
You didn't put any room for cars fag.
>>
>>1735764
That is not street. This is footpath. Street is place where car moves.
Also bicycles dont belong to the footpaths. 2/10
>>
>>1735764
It is shit
>>1735767
They are shit too.

Solution is simple. No public transport. If you don't have public transport, you don't have concentrated areas. Sidewalks must be narrow as possible, because walking is a meme. Bicycle/escoot - yes. Car -yes. Walking means you use public transport.

But no, they don't want nice livable area they want to herd nigger cattle
>>
^
We need to gather all these subhumans and throw them into camps
>>
>>1735764
>no physical separation between pedestrians and cyclists
no
>>
Kek that street is in my city. The last mayor just wanted to make the city with more bikelanes in the world, so they made a lot of stupid designs like that. That street is usually crowded, so riding a bike over there is dangerous and retarded.
Also, who tought it would be a good idea to place all those restaurant tables just some inches next to a bike lane?
>>
Just what I need some Kanker looking at their phone and crashing their bike into me.
>>
For a busy, commercial street, I'd say it was something more like >picrel
>wide pavements for foot traffic
>central and wide 2 lane bike path
>separated by outdoor commerce/dining
>road still wide enough for deliveries during permitted hours

The only issue is that it's a bit ugly, but I put that down to this particular street being an experiment by the city and so the lane markings and furniture is all cheap and temporary looking.
>>
>>1735871
same street before pedestrianisation
>>
>>1735871
It's too narow.
I'd say bulldoze this shit and build again
>>
>>1735849
Centre dividers are a meme, especially with one lane per direction. Enjoy being completely stuck behind obstacles.
>>
>>1735902
theyre not entirely worthless if they have trees.
>helps reduce noise reverberation
>>
>>1735764
>>1735871
>>1735872

Shocking how configurable roads are, for example you can have these large, busy streets and shut them down on a whim and people will find a way around. Now imagine if that was a rail line, it would be a multi billion dollar project to divert it.
>>
You can tell it’s a good design because it’s making the cagetrolls very upset.
>>
>>1735764
> street
That's a footpath. A street has cars. Also, there should not be a bike path, it's way to close to tables and pedestrians.
>>
Great street. You’ve got multiple forms of traffic, businesses, residences, people enjoying the street life.
A street is a destination. A road is just a way to get from point A to point B.
>>
>>1735912
Yeah but you could put trees on either side of the street to also benefit pedestrians, and I imagine centre green strips to be more of a hassle to maintain.
>>
>>1735936
Not going to read this thread but I can tell from the fact that they're not quoting anyone that the fringie is very upset and feeling BTFO
>>
>>1735871
Are those outdoor dining spots? We’re doing that in New York, converting parking spaces to dining sheds. It was so popular we made it permanent.
>>
>>1735970
>privatizing public spaces good
You're the same neoliberal subhuman who is shitting on working class people for "shitting up public transport" in the other thread, aren't you
>>
>>1735976
>>1735970
oh and btw caleb ganzer did nothing wrong
>>
>>1735976
You're not privatizing the space, you're merely granting usage permits to businesses of public interest. If people like eating in former parking spots and it makes the street more popular and populated overall, then by all means, what better use is there for the space?
>>
Man something about outdoor dining makes these cagetroll autists absolutely seethe lmao. I guess they just hate seeing people outside enjoying themselves.
>>
>>1735989
>public interest
>blocked bike lanes and sidewalks turned into dishrat superhighways
Sounds like legalized ADA violations but hey this city always hated people with disabilities so there's nothing new there, right? If god (aka Ayn Rand) wanted them to use the sidewalk she'd have fixed their legs, they should move to New Jersey or somewhere else that good urbanists don't ever have to see or think about them
>>
>>1735991
>replies to no one
#1 symptom of schizo fringie seething
>>
Outdoor dining is so popular it makes you wonder why it wasn’t always here. It’s been a godsend to the working class employees and local business owners.
>>
>>
Outdoor dining is so irresistible that even drivers can't avoid it! It's a godsend to personal injury lawyers, auto body shops and carpenters.
>>
>>1736000
Thank you for proving that cages have no place in cities.
>>
>>1735989
>. If people like eating in former parking spots and it makes the street more popular and populated overall, then by all means, what better use is there for the space?
Your reasoning is correct, cagetrolls just have an autistic meltdown whenever you suggest that the country shouldn’t be turned into an asphalt parking lot.
>>
>>1736001
Nor apparently do "working class employees" unless you can figure out a way to disingenuously shoehorn them into your agendaposting before screeching about how they're "shitting up public transport".
>>1736002
>replying to yourself
Take your meds
>>
Since outdoor dining was made permanent we’ve seen restaurants start to spruce up their dining sheds and turn them into permanent structures.
>>
>>1736007
>removing the street
>to be given to businesses
are you pro or anti outside dining? everyone is saying you are for it but you are making it look awful
>>
>>1736007
>that cyclist trying to figure out how he's going to squeeze through without getting clotheslined
Let's see, no cars because that's for cagetrolls. No public transport because working poors stink and should stay out of sight and out of mind. No walking because the sidwalks are blocked. No bikes because that's for extreme sports lance armstrongs. How are the workers who keep your amsterdam LARP running supposed to get to work? Oh right "the blockchain" or some shit. Maybe they can lurn2 code.
>>
A whole lot of MAD cagies in this thread. Shan’t be giving them any (you)s which I know will make them seethe.
>>
File: street.png (344 KB, 3360x1354)
344 KB
344 KB PNG
>>1735764
R8 my street
>>
Besides the boost to the economy and safety, outdoor dining provides loads of free seething from asshurt cagetrolls.
It hasn’t even been controversial, it’s so well received.
>>
>>1736013
>ha ha the seething!
>it's so non-controversial that I cope with all the backlash by pretending the criticism doesn't exist
>>
>>1736013
I don’t think this guy knows how to reply to posts, I’ve never seen him do it
>>
>>1736016
It's his thing. He continues posting without using reply when he's losing an argument, which is often.
>>
>>1736017
Yep I am familiar with this guy. He doesn’t seem to know how to reply to posts and the iPhone filenames make me think he’s from somewhere else. It is funny that he thinks posting pictures of outdoor malls is making people seethe though lol
>>
Jesus that is a lot of seething.
>>
>>1735989
Removing transportation space for seasonal luxury services.
>>
>>1735991
There is this thing called winter.
>>
>>1735998
>it makes you wonder why it wasn’t always here
cars
>>
>>1736063
>he thinks cars mean you can't dine outdoors

lol you commies are so silly
>>
To follow up, this only illustrates the advantages of using cars and roads to get around. That is: it’s really easy to reconfigure traffic patterns so you can make changes to a city like turning streets into outdoor plazas. Since cars aren’t stuck on a single route, you can take a whole street and turn it into a nice little shopping center like this and drivers will simply find a different way to get where they’re going. Highways can be removed, or added as needed, because roads are all building blocks, interchangeable and modular that can be easily and cheaply added, removed, or reconfigured to suit changing needs. Modern growing cities need this modularity as they discover which areas attract what, and plan accordingly. Train lines are extremely expensive and time consuming to relocate, expand, or shut down, which leads to them being essentially stuck where they are already, unable to adapt to how cities grow, and you find areas that become hotspots don’t get transit service for years afterwards, or lines that are extremely unpopular run for a long time because of sunk cost.

But roads? Sure, change one into a shopping area because there’s another one people can take instead, and you can widen that one to support the extra traffic. Huge street in a shopping area? Put some bike lanes on it and expand the nearby highway instead. Modular. Configurable. Responsive. Future.
>>
Things that make cagetrolls launch into a schizophrenic rant that no one reads:
-outdoor dining
-minimum parking requirements
-induced demand
-Koch Industries lobbying
Any others?
>>
File: barriers.jpg (622 KB, 2100x2100)
622 KB
622 KB JPG
>>1736000
I see these little huts in my city, and there's no way I would sit in one unless it's surrounded by steel/concrete bollards or water-filled barriers.
>>
>>1736144
This is the schizophrenic cagetroll rant by the way, it’s pretty hilarious that people actually think like this >>1736100
>>
File: allyouneed-sneed.png (339 KB, 2400x1594)
339 KB
339 KB PNG
>>1735764
Cmon mates, post some streetz.
>>
File: neger-rd.png (332 KB, 2880x1354)
332 KB
332 KB PNG
>>1736198
You gotta remember how the bits like bus stops, lights, and trees integrate into the sidewalk. It counts towards the width
>>
File: walker-blvd.png (356 KB, 3360x1354)
356 KB
356 KB PNG
>>1736199
and chill, /n/itwits, I only bumped once
>>
File: perfect-st.png (325 KB, 3360x1354)
325 KB
325 KB PNG
>>1736200
also, damn /o/ was right about you guys
>>
File: toulouse-street3.jpg (483 KB, 1800x1350)
483 KB
483 KB JPG
This is my kind of street. Could be a little wider but doesn't have to be, in temperate climates you need the shade.
>>
File: pleasant-st.png (292 KB, 3360x1450)
292 KB
292 KB PNG
I have a knack for this.
>>
>>1736255
Both car lanes are going the same way?
>>
>>1736330
Yeah. One way streets.
>>
File: gaylord-ave.png (483 KB, 3072x1464)
483 KB
483 KB PNG
>>
>>1735849
Passengers dismounting from teh cars need to cross escoots lane.
Bad.
On the crossing there will be 3 types of traffic crossing either very slow waiting their traffic light or unsafe.
Bad.
There is no possible way to combine well 3 types of traffic on teh same plane.
>>
>>1735764
People will walk out of those chairs straight into the bike lane.
>>
>>1736360
>ON YOUR LEFT
>DING DING DING
>BOOM CRASH
>>
File: perfect street.jpg (345 KB, 1200x900)
345 KB
345 KB JPG
>perfect street
>>
>>1736333
One way streets work so much better. With lights and timers, you can move automotive traffic out of the city easily without them stopping as long as they drive exactly the speed limit (downtown anchorage, AK demonstrates they will do this, since people quickly learn these light patterns), and less lanes are required per street so you have sidewalks for people to get to their destinations.
It also helps with mental security to know where the 2-ton death machines are coming from. I just wish that right on red was made illegal because drivers have gotten too stupid to actually pay enough attention to safely turn. Or at least phones have become too distracting to the layman. Or we could just treat distracted driving like a DUI, with prison sentences and taking away licenses.
>>
>>1736384
You have the point.
But one way requires street layout designed for them.
It comes back to "bulldoze outdated medieval euro cities and rebuild them in proper american grid way".
>>
>>1736388
Grid layout is for autists.
>>
>>1736388
What I said applies to American grid conversion and new development, I guess.
With older city streets, a sign alone would help reduce the number of lanes and reduce hazards caused by opposing traffic driving in the middle. You may not be able to do this with all streets, but clear out a few of them.
Suburbs are fucked, short of the bulldoze and try again solution.
>>
File: Capture.png (87 KB, 1515x876)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
>>1735764
I just created the perfect city
>>
File: fewer.gif (510 KB, 500x200)
510 KB
510 KB GIF
>>1736384
>and less lanes are required
>>
>>1736388
You can process vehicular traffic in medieval Euro city centers with one way streets as well, in fact a lot of the time it's necessary because the street is just too narrow.
>>
>>1736384
Yep one ways are really cool. They can support the same throughput in one direction while having room for bus or bike lanes, wider sidewalks etc. which is cool because how often are both lanes used equally anyways.

In the future one ways could be utilized to be adaptive kind of like the express lanes on I-94, which are switched between going into or out of the city based on time of day and traffic. One ways could simply switch direction at noon.
>>
Why is there even a bike lane?

It's obviously not a through street for cars, or has a speed limit over 10 mph.
>>
>>1736410
So cyclists have a chance of using the pedestrian zone without having to dodge pedestrians every 20 feet.
>>
>>1736411
Are you not counting the restaurant customers and staff as pedestrians? Have you actually tried riding a bike down one of those cancer-infested bike lanes?
>>
>>1736414
Better than nothing.
>>
>>1736419
The fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>1736421
That despite the odd idiot walking out into the bike lane, lanes are better than no lanes because most people still respect them. Just gotta keep your eyes open and maybe not race through the pedestrian zone at road riding speed in the first place.
>>
>>1736424
A simple “no” would have sufficed
Typical numtot loudmouth telling everyone what’s best for them without letting lack of knowledge discourage you in any way
>>
>>1736427
>numtot

A name deriving from the Facebook group “New Urbanist Memes for Transit-Oriented Teens.” The acronym is commonly used to refer to any young
>>
>>1736452
Everyone in that group is like 30
>>
>>1736427
older than you
>>
>>1735767
This
>>
>>1736362
Or cyclists will just straight up plow into people drinking their coffee.
>>
>>1736424
People disrespect them in lots of ways, they throw their litter in them, or it just accumulates there the same way road debris does, the snowplows push salty slushy snow into them in the winter for you to splash through when it’s 20 degrees out, ups guys stack boxes in them while they’re unloading, people ride the wrong way down them, etc etc
>>
>>1736201
But where is the parking?
>>
>>1735871
The 20mph speed limit ruins it
>>
>>1737083
It's 20km/h burger
>>
>>1736255
How the hell buses are supposed to overtake the bicycles?
>>
>>1737088
Fuck you for reminding me.
>>
>>1737086
So that's like 30mph?
>>
>>1737091
13mph
>>
>>1737083
speed limits unironically don't apply to bicycles the only thing allowed except scooters that are limited to 20
>>
>all these people think drivers give a shit about outdoor dinning
>implying they don't also enjoy it

Literally rent free.
>>
>>1737171
>speed limits unironically don't apply to bicycles
The UK is not all Europe, bong.
Speed limits do apply to all vehicles (motorized or not) here in the mainlad
>>
>>1737289
nope
only to motorized vehicles in germany
unpowered vehicles are mandated to adjust to the traffic flow
>>
>>1737370
Sorry Hans, I didn't known that.
But why they installed a speed limit sign under a cycleway sign if no vehicle is effected by the sign then?
>>
>>1736424
Yep, my city has narrow streets and it’s way better got biking to have a separate lane.
>>
>>1736468
I’m old enough to be your grandfather, zoomzoom
>>
>>1736201
>perfect street is 21 meters across
>laughable bike lanes on a 7 (SEVEN) lane road
>>
>>1736100
You've convinced me of the usefulness of buses, not cars.
>>
>>1737378
im confused by it as well
cycle zones/mups limit to 30 for motor vehicles but mandatory cycle paths don't
maybe a official didn't know about that and thought that it should be limited because of much foot traffic crossing
legally it could serve to limit the barrier to enforcement of reckless riding (endangering street traffic §315c) but i never heard of a relevant case being persecuted
>>
This.
>>
File: the-aerostreettm.png (623 KB, 5360x1930)
623 KB
623 KB PNG
Dear car-cucks, bike-fags and pedo-estrains, I hereby present to you today the real future of intra city transport - The Aerostreet, the first street designed only for airplanes. Because only subhumans limit themselves to just 2 dimensions and true aryans use all 3 god-given spatial dimensions of this world.
>>
>>1737755
That’s a brilliant way to turn your city into a shithole.
>>
>>1737761
I don't think having multiple lanes would meet FAA clearance guidelines. Unless they aren't all runways?
>>
File: 1538437819588.png (127 KB, 275x213)
127 KB
127 KB PNG
>>1737762
>why does my city suck so much?
>could it be the rampant homeless camps that the city indirectly encourages or even gives stipends to?
>could it be the fact that foreign nationals are buying up buildings and driving up the cost of living, functionally eliminating the middle class living in the city?
>could it be immigrants are pouring into the city, getting government support directly or indirectly, yet refusing to assimilate?
>could it be the city does a "catch and release" on habitual criminals for fears of "racism"?
>no, it must be wide roads
>>
>>1737900
It's a bad sign for #urbanism when goose stepping nazis who want to put people like me in a mass grave sound less dangerously insane than numtot zoomzooms
>>
>>1736366
>that restaurant
but where do they make the food?
Is there some slave kitchen dungeon underneath and the food just gets handed up some stairs?
>>
>>1737901
this post is literally unreadable
>>
>>1737092
>13mph
I often daydream about what my city would be like if they dropped the speed limit on everything but through-roads to something similar.
There's an elementary school downtown, and I like the character of that street, during the hours when it's restricted to 15mph. It feels much safer to walk and ride then.
>>
>>1737761
>aligns the aircraft wrong
>demolish and entire building
safe and practical
>>
>>1737801
They aren't all runways. There's 1 runway, 1 taxiway and aircraft stands for parking aircraft. Still the runway is just 15m wide (ICAOs minimum is 18m), not to mention building 1 m off the side of the runway. But regulations can always be changed and such strict landing conditions will ensure only strongest pilots survive and the weak crash and die in pool of burning avgas.
>>
>>1735844
>>1735842
cars belong on roads, not streets.
>>
>>1736062
that only bothers non-whites.
>>
File: file.png (189 KB, 1645x770)
189 KB
189 KB PNG
>>
>>1738140
How goods and services areoved in this town?
>>
File: 35mplantingstrip.png (168 KB, 3749x1496)
168 KB
168 KB PNG
out of my way people fucking shits
>>
>>1738020
He's saying that he agrees with that other poster, which is dismaying to him because the other poster is a nazi.
At least that's if I'm passing him correctly. I hate tripfags and they always seem to have unique and unclear writing styles. Hiroshimoot needs to ban them already.
>>
>>1735764
I bet the restaurant where you don't have to sit on the bicycle path is more popular.
>>
>>1735871
>>1735872
Looks like it lost a lot of foot traffic.
>>
>>1738625
Tripfags are notably the worst posters but you can’t outright ban all of them. In the case of /n/‘s resident tripfag, he is guilty of spamming so should be banned for that.
>>
>>1738020
Your inability to understand sentences more complicated than 3 words (subject verb and object in that exact order) is not my problem
>>
>>1738140
Based
>>
File: radfahren.jpg (955 KB, 1688x1125)
955 KB
955 KB JPG
>>
File: babar.jpg (883 KB, 1600x1930)
883 KB
883 KB JPG
>>1739458
>tfw when you come of age in europe you get a trekking bar
>>
>>1739460
They're underrated for comfort, only anglos insist on drop bars.
>>
>>1739467
But the main position with the controls has your wrists pronated
>>
>>1736061
>seasonal luxury services
Just wait until your sidewalk cafe is assessed imputed property taxes for the square footage they are using.
>>
File: spine.png (1.86 MB, 1192x1176)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB PNG
>>1739521
what a shame

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.