[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bqg.jpg (104 KB, 440x444)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
Ask bike questions
post photos of your issues

youtube.com/c/RJTheBikeGuy/videos
parktool.com/blog/repair-help
http://sheldonbrown.com/

Previous: >>>>1733305
>>
goal: getting a cheap PM
crankset aint compatible with anything because the spider is fixed to the cranks(oval concepts 520 with praxisworks chainrings) so im going after a crankset/PM combo. Sigeyi PM with some chinnese cranks seem to be the way to go, pic related.
i got a PF30BB with a praxisworks conversor BB (PF30 -> GxP 24mm/22mm). As no crankset/PM combo is offered for GxP i will need to change my BB. and heres where i get confused. the sigey combo is offered for various BB's. and they are promoting their updated dub version. i guess the wiser choice should be to go PF30 DUB right? in the aliexpress page it says that the crankset axis is DUB BB29 that means i need to go with BDU PF30 BB right? that should fit my frame if im correct. if anyone can confirm me that i would be gratefull as hell.
also any tips on what to get or not to get regarding the BB? seems the crankset combo includes a zrace one, yay or nay?
PS1: sorry for my crappy english, not my native language
PS2: someone mentioned me the favero pedal PM's, but the duo version starts at 650 or something plus shipping (and im overseas). way too much for me right now.
>>
>>1734906
God I wish I was that saddle
>>
File: Her Bicycle Seat.png (481 KB, 474x9138)
481 KB
481 KB PNG
>>1734942
>>
Why did I throw away my cable housing before sizing the new ones and where did I put those rolls of grip tape?
>>
What's the closest modern bike to pic rel?
I want something like this but can't find any vintage bikes in my area other than 28mm road bikes with messed up shifters and brakes and cranksets all clapped out.
>>
>>1734949
https://onlinebicyclemuseum.co.uk/1940s-runwell-despatch-carrier-bicycle/?tax=tour&tid=36

Also don't want to pay shipping from the UK
>>
>>1734946
Eeww
>>
>>1734906
Delete this thread and post one with a subject and a dude with a big bulge.
>>
>>1734906
>>1734942
>>1734946
>>1734961
Please don't post sexual imagery on the transportation board. Also delete this thread and make one with "/bqg/" in the subject field.
>>
>>1734949
what is your budget ?
where are you?
>>
>>1734949
https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/bicycles/products/the-elliston-deluxe

I would buy an 80s mtb and convert it, but, this is probably the cheapest good option
35 tires are reasonably wide
if you lost the fenders you could fit wider

coaster brake is a good approximation of the shitness of rod brakes
It's a good deal when you consider how expensive racks are.

And seeing as there are no cables, if you want higher bars, just buy a taller stem. That's easy.
>>
>>1734949
and I would get the 'womans' one, because with a step through you can load the rear more and not have to swing a leg over it. And I think it looks better.
>>
File: dia compe brake.jpg (29 KB, 637x635)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>1734998
>>1734999
Also these bikes can be upgraded easily enough with an added long reach/bmx front brake, to make them a little more practical so you can safely ride down steep hills

It is generally possible to fit a front brake over those rack struts at the fork crown.
>>
>>1734949
>messed up shifters and brakes and cranksets all clapped out.
why do those matter if you're doing a SS conversion, and your standard for braking is 'beater with rod brakes'?
>>
>>1734967
Southern California
I suppose under $600
Pre-1950 would be awesome
>>
>>1735037
what do you think about my state idea

i'm confused
do you want an actual vintage bike?
a somewhat old (80s/90s) vintage resto-mod
or a faux-vintage new bike

Do you want a full project, are you prepared to do some work or do you want no work?

and like what specifically about that bike do you want? Do you WANT rod brakes? Is it 2" of tire clearance? Is it the vaguely military aesthetic, or the butcher basket setup? Is it the saddle? Put aside $150 of your budget for a brooks b67. Is it the super high swept bars? It's going to be much simpler to buy a bike suitable to be modified to be that than buy a bike that is that.
>>
Do dropbars really make a difference in terms of speed?
>>
>>1735065
Biggest thing working against you when you try to go fast is the wind blowing in your face. Getting as low as possible makes you faster, and drop bars let you do it much more comfortably.
>>
>>1735066
Makes sense. I've got a hybrid bike right now and I've hurt my back trying to go low.
>>
>>1735066
What about cycling shoes?
>>
>>1735082
Unless you're slipping on your current pedals changing shoes/pedals will make virtually no difference, and if you are you can get less slippery platform pedals instead.
>>
>>1735083
I see. Interesting
>>
>>1735082
not him but i reckon it can make a big difference in increasing comfort, which makes a big difference in performance over distance because fatigue is a major factor in how fast/far you can go.

Like, when I do long rides on flats I tend to get atleast, slightly sore feet. Liveable. And when i'm very tired I waste energy and focus shifting them around needlessly on the pedals.

It's not an outright performance boost, but it can also just -feel- a lot better to ride.
>>
>>1735085
Interesting. I'm just getting into cycling right now. Trying to increase distance and performance for a cycling event in march next year.

Though I fucked up by not buying a road bike. I've noticed that the hybrid bike I have likes to struggle at even the smallest incline. Though I didn't really expect to like cycling so much.
>>
>>1735086
why didn't you buy a road bike out of interest? my first adult bike was a hybrid because I thought a road bike was for pros and mtb would be slow and heavy, then got an mtb because I wanted to go up hills faster, then got a tt bike because I figured watts = climbing, then got a road bike because I learned my lesson. now I have fucking 3 bicycles (hybrid ded) and I only got back into cycling this year. I hate this sport.
>>
>>1735087
>why didn't you buy a road bike out of interest?
I couldn't afford it, otherwise I would of (despite massive family protests). I'm getting a road bike next year, probably in the first quarter of 2022.
>>
>>1735088
where do u live? if aus I can give u a tt bike, full 105 3x9 group. I need rid and don't want to see it thrown in the bin. full carbon
>>
>>1735089
I do live in Aus, but I live in the ACT. How come you don't put it on Gumtree or something?
>>
>>1735091
who on gumtree is going to take this bike really. the components are ancient. the frame is definitely not new. leave an email if u want it and we can arrange to have it sent to your LBS to be set up. needs tyres and setting up
>>
File: 1614243266194.jpg (29 KB, 381x492)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Well it has started to freeze and snow around here and I'd still like to cycle occasionally.

Thought about getting a cheap 29er (salted roads probably will kill it fast) and putting some Schwalbe Ice Spikers under it, good idea or retarded?
>>
>>1735100
I like old bikes with single piece cranks for winter, just about indestructible and don't need to replace the BB come spring, just repack. Modern BBs tend to not hold up well to the salt unless you spring for ceramic. What ever you go with pull it apart and grease every thread and repack every bearing before you start the winter riding and it will get you through a few winters at the very least. Storing the bike in the cold will also help a great deal, not having the built up ice and snow melt into your drive train will make everything last much longer, keep the bike cold if you can.
>>
>support your local bike shop

my bike shop is selling nitto bullmoose bars for 225€. Fucking price gougers
>>
>>1735107
I check the local shop's website before I get anything because I'd rather just drive there than wait days for it to come in the mail. 80% of the time they don't have it, but when they do seems like the price is either within a couple bucks of online or at least double online.
>>
>>1735107
my local bike shop carry basically nothing. they refuse to order me anything in. they don't even have basic tools for sale. but the blokes are v helpful and the mechanics are competent. I go in there and ask if they can order me x or y and fit it and they tell me to buy it elsewhere and bring it to them to fit. what kind of a business model is this
>>
>>1735119
They probably just gave up the headache of ordering and stocking anything but the highend shit because they can not compete on the prices and most of the time when you tell them the price they bitch about how they could get it cheaper online.
>>
>>1735120
almost certainly. they are good guys though. I can sit and discuss obscure and retarded mix and match parts and they'll tell me exactly what I need to make it work, just refuse to order it.
>>
>>1734948
>>
>>1735119
mine is a shop ran by an old man who knows nothing about bikes. It's been in business for over 40 years. The first and only time I went there I asked for a quick link for a single speed bike and he said that didn't exist.
>>
>>1735123
I hate that. I don't see the point of a bike shop without technical knowledge. it's not like you can't buy literally anything online. their product and the justification for their existence and markup is that you will only have to buy a part/tool/service once
>>
>>1735123
come on anon.
a yakitori restaurant doesn't have to serve ramen

that shop probably has its usefulness.
>>
>>1735128
a yakitori (whatever that is) restaurant will know what ramen is though. What a shit analogy
>>
File: IMG_20211123_155728.jpg (2.09 MB, 4000x2913)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB JPG
Can I tour with pic related?
>>
>>1735144
Yes if where you live is flat. But definitely sort out the fit first.
>>
>>1735144
yes, you can tour on literally any bike

consider that bicycle touring was a thing back when bicycles were all significantly worse than what you have
>>
>>1735144
>Can I
yes
>should I
no
>>
>>1735144
r u located in south america ?
>>
>>1735172
Did you just come here from /pol/?
>>
>>1735172
Holy Moly that is a good one...
Comic-book tier gore
>>
>>1735172
I like the way his skull pops out of his skin like a pea from its pod, this is why I never ride on busy roads.
>>
>>1735172
Why couldn't he fall the other way? This is so sad and that dog is scarred for life.
>>
>>1735172
I hope my city gets a dedicated bike path in the future. The current one is just a green line as a sad excuse for a bike lane.
>>
Chances of that happening to you are 1 in 1,000,000
>>
>>1735186
keep telling yourself that
>>
Can only ride in park trails or nature trails since I live in a city where it's mandatory to drive a car :( Finding a bike lane is like being visited by Jesus
>>
>>1735172
what would have made a difference is if he wasn't such a fat mchugeass and ridden a proper bicycle. Not only would he have a smaller profile and not been swiped by the coach but he probably would have outpaced it too.
>>
>sexually arousing image in the OP
>/BQG/ nowhere in the OP text
>bso in the OP
Please delete this thread. The old /bqg/ was barely on page 2 when this thread was made. I believe OP is either a troll or someone trying to get a new /bqg/ thread up before the gay baiter.
>>
>>1735207
I thought the gay threads were pretty funny desu but it can’t last forever
>>
>>1735207
that's a bso?
>>
File: 1637347712374.gif (820 KB, 1540x1222)
820 KB
820 KB GIF
How do I avoid this? I got back into cycling this year but I'm scared to take my 28" further then a block from my house same with my 2kw Mach 10
>>
>>1735172
Nah I used to watch tonnes of those kinds vids on liveleak and if you check kaotic it's much the same your tiny head + egg crate isn't Gonna do shit against 20tonnes of bussy
>>
File deleted.
>>1735248
Meant to quote
>>1735172
>>
>>1735122
Well, what did it say?
>>
File: tires.jpg (142 KB, 2150x430)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
In pic related are the tires I've got in good shape, all in 26, and I need to ride again so much. What would you use as a pair/combo for winter ?

(one 2.15 and a pair of 2.3 dths, a pair of 2.5 extraterrestrials, one 2.35 larsenTT, one 2.7 DHF and a pair of 2.15 toros)
>>
>>1735274
You get no snow or ice in winter?
>>
>>1735274
For winter I wouldn't use any of those. None of them have studs.
>>
>>1735275
Snow maybe not, but there will be some ice at times !
>>
>>1735277
In that case, what >>1735276 said
Black ice will make all of those tires spin out and it's near impossible to avoid
>>
>>1735274
First and third will do good in most snowy conditions but will be hell on a roadway which the cars have packed down the snow to almost but not quite ice, 4 is aggressive enough to cut through it and down to the pavement, 2 and 5 would ride on top like it was pavement. No matter what you choose there will be times it will suck and pushing the bike home becomes appealing. The most important thing is knowing how your tires handle in different conditions does not matter what the tire is, if it is studded or unstudded, knoby or not, if you don't know how it will react on that patch of ice or hard pack snow then you will crash.

>>1735282
Black ice is a non-issue for bikes, same thing which makes hydro planing impossible for a bike renders black ice a non-issue. Stop larping.
>>
>>1735287
Bruh I’ve eaten shit on black ice plenty of times, it sucks, studded tires are a thing for a reason
>>
>>1735291
Sure you have. More likely it was normal ice that you just did not notice.
>>
>>1735287
You're an idiot.
>>
>>1735294
But you can not explain why?
>>
>>1735293
Also known as black ice
>>
>>1735297
Your not paying attention does not make it black ice. Black ice is thin enough that the ice does not noticeably refract or reflect light which renders it invisible. Bike tires just crush it. Fat bike would probably slip but normal tires not so much.
>>
>>1735303
black ice is just ice you can't see and that includes
>normal ice that you just did not notice
>>
>>1735306
>can't see
>did not notice
See the problem there? Anyways, what ever.
>>
>>1735310
I didn't notice it because I couldn't see it and if you try to reply to this post disagreeing with me and my niggas are gonna jump you.
>>
>>1735313
>me and my niggas are gonna jump you.
So you are a larper.
>>
>>1735318
I don’t even need to jump you bro you’re gonna slip on black ice anyways
>>
>>1735322
If you go down on any ice, black or otherwise it is your own fault, you are not biking for the conditions. You can larp all you want but it will not change this simple fact. You went down because you were not paying attention, and since you supposedly did it more than once you apparently can not even learn this simple lesson.
>>
>>1735325
I agree that’s why I was recommending studded tires for conditions where you know you will encounter icy roads. We both want the best for this anon, we just have different ways of going about it, but I can’t understand how you feel about the situation until I walk a mile in your shoes so I’m going to trust that where you’re coming from is genuine just like how I truly believe what I’m recommending to him. Going down on ice is no fun, and could even claim a collarbone if it’s really bad, so the fact that you’re even trying to prevent this anon from hurting himself reflects super positively on you, and is really something that a good guy would do, and I respect you for that.
>>
>>1735330
I can respect that. The original point being that knowing how your tires react in different situations is the most important thing. Studded tires on some surfaces can be as bad as normal tires on ice, concrete, stone, brick and asphalt with a high aggregate content can all be horrific with studded tires, if you don't know this it can be a very unpleasant surprise.
>>
What kind of bicycle headsets exist?
I want to make an e-scooter from scratch (because all kick scooters and e-scooters have dogshit frame with various fuckups) but I don't want to invent some things because I don't have a lathe and such.
>>
>>1735338
Threaded and threadless are the two main sorts. Threaded use a wedge to jam the stem in the steerer tube, threadless bolt to the outside. I would probably go threaded for your project, easier to make it good and strong with few tools, but either could work.
>>
File: Untitledu.png (123 KB, 741x902)
123 KB
123 KB PNG
>>1735344
Now, which kind of threaded headstock is most common on chink bicycles?
JIS 1 inch?
> Threaded use a wedge to jam the stem in the steerer tube
On some e-scooter steerer tube has a cut and clamps on thread, which is probably another pro for threaded.
>>
>>1735353
threaded headsets are obsolete. threadless are much easier to come by and work with
>>
>>1735353
I think 22.2mm might be most common. but 1" (25.4) and 28.6 are fairly common as well.
>>1735354
Not really and using what is most common for bike does not make it the best choice for a scooter, especially if you are limited on tools.
>>
>>1735355
you use the same tools for both systems, a hex wrench
and how is threadless a bad choice for a scooter?
>>
>>1735354
Idk, I never had a bicycle with headless.
Maybe it would be easier to install (weld a nut on steel instead of threading 10 cm of pipe or so), but then, how do I install steering pipe.
>>
>>1735356
Easier to make the needed parts with minimal tools and considerably more tolerant to less than perfect.

>>1735358
I can't think of a way to make threaded as simple, just a tube with a stem welded in the end, tighten from the bottom instead of the top. You can use either a threaded or threadless stem for the handlebars.
>>
>>1735360
>threaded as simple
err, threadless.
>>
File: Figure_14-5.jpg (159 KB, 825x600)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>1735358
>>1735354
Also, I checked cheapo bikes, they still use threaded.
>>1735356
Idk if it is bad choice or not. Threaded just seems to be a little bit more straight-forward (mainly because I can copy this design >>1735353), because I don't quite get how do you install steering bar+tube. Because on bicycle it is rather short and there is no problem, but on scooter that could be 1 meter tube.
>>
>>1735362
Some not cheap road and touring bikes still use threaded. They are far from the standard these days but still about.

For threadless the only ways I can think of simply doing it is having a full length steerer and using a tube as a very long spacer. Anything else would be considerably more complex than threaded.
>>
File: stem.jpg (499 KB, 1600x1200)
499 KB
499 KB JPG
>>1735362
wait, I think I misunderstood, you want to MAKE a stem? I thought you meant you wanted to buy one so that you didn't have to make literally everything
in that case yeah I guess a threaded one would be easier, the cheap welded kind
>>
>>1735362
Don't forget that you will need an extra set of bearings for where the stem presses on the headset, duplicating the ones on the fork will do, just upside down. Otherwise you have to rely on the wedge to never move further in. might be able to work it without the extra bearings, but for how easy they are too add and how cheap I can not imagine why you would.
>>
>>1735368
>wait, I think I misunderstood, you want to MAKE a stem?
Make entire fork and steering assembly to be precise.
>>1735372
Idk, I must get good at welding first :D.
But if I order stuff now, I might save a lot of time and money since I could go with chinese lowest end imaginable stuff. Which would probably do for trying design out.
>>
>>1735375
>Idk, I must get good at welding first :D.
Seems like a good project for it. You can also just find some old bikes to use for parts, get some free tube in the deal as well. The bearings and races in threaded headsets tend to remain in good condition even if the rest of the bike is a mess, especially on old road bikes. If you have a local bike co-op they will probably have a box full, when I volunteered at the local co-op we threw away a good number of threaded headset just because we had so many from all the bikes which were beyond help but still had a good head set. We would have happily given anyone as many as they want. If you got one go there and tell them about your project, they might have some good ideas as well.
>>
>>1735335
>Studded tires on some surfaces can be as bad as normal tires on ice
I have never come across any surface that has been as bad with studded tires as ice is without studs. Not even close.
>>
How is chamois pronounced?
>>
>>1735067
Well a hybrid bike also has a more upright geometry unlike a road bike
>>
>>1735395
shammy
>>
>>1735396
Yeah. And my natural instinct is to go low as if I'm using a road bike.
>>
>>1735377
>Seems like a good project for it.
I don't think so, because when weld cracks on bump it won't be fun. I think cover for propane cylinders or some stool or table is safer.
>You can also just find some old bikes to use for parts, get some free tube in the deal as well.
I thought about this. Dunno. Free threads are tempting. But at the same time, I think steel is thin (because it is 100% not mild steel, but smth more fancy) there, and thus hard to weld.
>>
>>1735067
you know anon it's not just bar height with drop bars
the ergonomics are also different
your hands are rotated 90° which splays your elbows down, not out (more comfortable to maintain, try holding fists out infront of you to see this) and puts them narrower, typically in line with your shoulders, rather than further out for more control.
>>
>>1735172
>/n/ on /n/ violence
did he died?
>>
File: 1628884781746.jpg (40 KB, 615x345)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1735207
>NOOOOOO, NOT A HECKIN SEXUALY AROUSING IMAGE!!!
>>
>>1735248
>>1735252
Stick to bike paths.

If there are no bike paths stick to quiet residential streets.

If there are no quiet residential streets stick to streets with nice wide shoulders to ride on.

If there are no streets with nice wide shoulders to ride on then always ride far enough into the lane so cars aren't tempted to try and squeeze by you like that. Also wearing full neon reflective yellow with flashing strobe lights would probably help.
>>
>>1735395
"diaper"
>>
>>1735402
Yeah I didn't really pick a bike that appealed to my instincts.
>>
>>1735172
Who was in the wrong here? I thought you had to keep a 1m distance (or wider) when passing a cyclist?
>>
ok so, i'm pretty new but I noticed that one thing thats kinda annoying is that when going faster I sometimes lose my footing, is that something I'll just get more comfortable with or should I maybe look at getting mtb type clip in shoe/pedal thing?
>>
>>1735415
I'm sure the fact that he was technically in the right because the bus wasn't respecting his legally mandated 3 foot safety bubble will comfort the puddle of goo where his brain used to be.

>>1735418
Don't go faster by spinning your feet like mad, just shift to a harder gear and keep the same cadence. But yeah clipin shoes will fix that, or grippier flat pedals.
>>
>>1735424
ok, I'll try different gears. I usually would just use it for hills. but I guess I'll try for speed too. now to get an even faster cadence will that just come naturally with timing and stuff? cause once I lose grip its hard for me to continue without slowing down then picking up again
if I still have issues, I'll consider the pedals
>>
>>1735418
are you riding around with the original pedals that came with your bike?
>>
>>1735427
80-90 rpm is a good cadence to aim for, simply spin your legs that fast and never change no matter the terrain or speed. If it gets too hard shift to an easier gear, and if you want to go faster shift to a harder one. If you can't go that fast without bouncing or losing control then practice to get used to it and maybe get better pedals if you think you need them.
>>
>>1735428
Yeah using the same I guess city pedals on them. It isn't a road bike since it's meant to move me and my photography gear (meaning I get off a fair bit) but I learned that in-between the areas I like trying to push it
>>
>>1735418
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001871077322.html?

Clipless is great. So is just a better pair of flat pedals, with pins for grip. I recommend these. The cheaper 2 bearing model. I run them on a few bikes and they're real nice.
>>
to change you just need a 15mm spanner, some wd40, a rag, and grease (any kind)

pedals unscrew towards back of bike. If it's hard spray some wd40 on the thread and wait. If still hard, put a pipe over the spanner.

When removed, clean the threads with wd40 and rag. Lightly grease the threads of new pedal. Screw in careful not to crossthread. Torque down hard.
>>
>>1735432
also i've tried 3 of these and this specific version has the bearings setup better and better slightly shorter pins than the other ones i've had (which were a tiny bit cheaper). It's a knockoff pedal but this is a quality knockoff.
>>
>>1735432
>wait 8 months while your shitty knockoff pedals from china sit on a boat in san francisco just because you wanted to save $10
begone chang
>>
>>1735429
>>1735432
Thanks for the tips/recc I'm going to bed tomorrow. But I'll see what I can do officially first before buying
>>
>>1735436
raceface chesters are $55
Those are $17

It's 3 times more expensive and I can testify that they are not shitty. If you want them straight away, you'll possibly get better bearings on the chester too, sure, pay the money.
>>
>>1735437
>"officially"
If you want to spend $50, spend $50.
If you only want to spend $20, don't spend it stupidly.
>>
>>1735410
It's plain distasteful, not to mention off topic. She's not even on a decent bike or wearing cycling specific gear. I dislike the gay baiter, but atleast his homoerotica was somewhat on topic and showed some effort.

OP is the most low effort type of counter-bait out there.
>individual posting homoerotic imagery with some creativity and effort in an attempt to stir the pot
>retard posts gross chinese bso promotional material in an attempt to get ahead of the gay baiter
>I complain about the low quality OP
>somehow I'm the religious puritan

A counter troll is still a troll. Same applies to bait. You can't counter homosexual bait with heterosexual bait. It's still sex bait, and this time it's lower quality.
>>
>>1735444
shut up
>>
>>1735444
totally agree with this. trips of truth. shit op. the gay posts were always cyclists cycling
>>
>>1735439
I just searched "mtb pedals" on amazog and found like ten different options for $25 with metal pins and guaranteed delivery by the end of the week. Don't know what brands are good but they can't possibly be worse than aliexpress specials.
>>
>>1735414
usually people do what you do and buy a hybrid bike first. then if they like riding it off road, they get an mtb or if they are like you wonderin' how to go super sonic then you get a road bike.

you always keep the ugly hybrid that helped you love cycling again and you use it to get to the bars.
>>
>>1735431
buy a pair of pin flat pedals that's what you should be riding around on anyway
>>
OH NONONONONO NOW /gif/ IS MAKING FUN OF US

>>>/gif/21374535
>>
>>1735467
It's just typical cyclists doing typical cyclist things.
>>
>>1735455
Most items on Amazon are just marked up Aliexpress/Alibaba items sold by some middleman who has stock closer to your location. The $25 ones on Amazon probably cost $10 – $15 on Aliexpress or Alibaba.
>>
>>1735475
>sold by some middleman who has stock closer to your location
and will get here before I get too old to ride a bike in the first place.

Personally I'd just buy some that aren't complete trash but if you're that desperate to save ten bucks...
>>
>>1735456
I was actually gonna do that with my road bike. Because when I upgrade in a few years time to a top-tier road bike. I can keep the next one I'm getting cause its customiseable with panniers and stuff
>>
>>1735444
you mean she's not on a gay road bike wearing gay road bike gear
you do seem gay bro
>>
>>1735415
well weak should fear the strong
>>
rear rack or front rack? basket or bungee cords? if you had to pick one would you have sex with peak Sarah Michelle gellar, Melissa Joan hart or Anna Nicole Smith? each is at your personal favourite era of their looks
>>
>>1735475
this
>>
>>1735467
https://i.4cdn.org/gif/1637655247646.webm
/n/iggers will defend this
>>
>>1735505
Everyone sucks there, but of course the /n/egro is the one to be super fucking annoying about it.
>>
>>1735506
I hoped the cyclist would have been squashed by a car in that video
>>
>>1735381
You see how that bit you quoted is part of a paragraph, that means it is all related, this is called context. When you remove something from its context that is called pretext, pretext makes you look like an asshole even when it is done out of ignorance. If you are cornering hard on studded tires and transition onto one of those surfaces which studded tires are poor on you are going to go down as quickly as if you were cornering hard on unstudded tires and hit ice. Knowing how your tires react in different situations is more important than what sort of tires you have, it enables you to bike for the conditions.
>>
>>1735395
Swamp ass.
>>
>>1735489
front basket for delicate/lightweight stuff, rear bungee cords for big heavy boxes
also peak MJH
>>
>>1735489
Front and rear with panniers. SMG.
>>
>>1735551
>>1735555
for me, it's front rack with bungee cords and Anna Nicole Smith. that's right. I'm a breast man
>>
>>1734911
>no replies
Good thing our hero coronajanny deleted your frivolous thread and made you post in the general, otherwise the wayward trolls of /n/ might have fallen into a productive conversation about power meters (ugh!)

This board is only about wat BSO iz gud, and screeching about suburbs
>>
File: wrbgkb4gb1q41.png (2.2 MB, 1859x1313)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB PNG
>>1735489
I've been setting up rear rack, front qd bag and quite like it. Rack handles cargo, bag for small personal items or delicate things. Working on setting up a double rack with front basket now, to see if I like dedicated bike bags or just using any old bag in the basket with a bungee over it.

SMG '94, /n/ related
>>
Don't really want to ride my bike with a super aggressive freewheel today, but my bike with something more suited for climbing really steep hills has some pretty poopy(in terms of quality) tires.
I was thinking of just putting my nicer front wheel/tire(25mm) on this bike and just leaving the 23mm on the rear. The front is more important anyway in terms of comfort, right? Shouldn't be too bad?
>>
>>1735489
>rear rack or front rack
I've used both extensively, mostly for large grocery runs. like over $100usd at a time. I much prefer front rack with the heavy stuff as low as possible on either side with a wheel stabilizer. rear rack works fine but it's more awkward-feeling and the weight whips the frame around. but it's an annoyance not a deal breaker. I have a good set of panniers which greatly helps both ways.

>>1735489
>basket or bungee cords
both. put bungies in the basket. stuff that's too big for the basket, bungie it to the rack

>sex
Guess ad era Anna Nicole and it's not even close.
>>
>>1735467
Bros... That one gif makes me sad and scared.... I haven't felt that way in a long time
>>
>>1735612
Yeah, it should be fine. If your going to mismatch tires remember that the front should have more traction. 25c is wider and gripier than 23c and you can run it at slightly lower pressure to increase traction and comfort. I'd say you have the right idea.
>>
>>1735475
When you think about it... That $8 price difference on Amazon is the 8 month shipping time
>>
>>1735627
depends what you like. Anna is best if you like one aesthetic. SMG best if you like face. MJH best for more girl next door smile aesthetic and nicest bottom
>>
>>1735627
>weight whips the frame around
get better panniers
>>
>>1735647
me too, i went out cycling today on a busy road with a bike lane and thought about it so I immediately hopped on the sidewalk.
>>
>>1735705
Fuck you guys for reminding me.
>>
File: 20211125_070900.jpg (179 KB, 1585x463)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
does this mean I'm cool?
>>
>>1734911
See if you can find a used with ok chainring condition powertap C1. The pm is in the chainrings and it mounts to 5 bolt 110 bcd. Shit was $350 before SRAM bought and discontinued them, since most manufacturers were moving away from 110 bcd 5 bolt. Now SRAM put the same chainring pm in their Red cranks. I have a c1 and it's great, with a SRAM Apex 10 crank it is also a GXP BB combo.
Why on earth do you have a GXP BB with that combo? Oval isn't a SRAM company. PF 30 dub would work in diameter, check the listing spindle length and calculate how the length would work out with your frame and whatever PF30 DUB adapter you buy.
I'd steer clear of ali cranks and get power2max's granfondo crank/pm combo and then you can get a probably cheaper Ali PF30/hollowtech II BB (if the bearings fail from chink cheapening your crank will still be in place and you won't die, if your crank arm breaks you may die).
>>
>>1735067
Your back will still hurt going low with drop bars. You can get used to it over time like with saddle pain (unless you're already old in which case forget it) and supplement with core exercises, like planks.
>>
>>1735067
Hit your LBS and ask to either demo a drop bar bike, or even better if they have one they can put on a stationary trainer for you. As long as the bike is even reasonably close to the right fit for you, you shouldn't have back pain with the bars at saddle height. If you do, you might want to get your discs checked out by a doctor because something is shot.
>>
>>1735720
maybe?
double butting is good, but it will usually also say whose steel it is (Columbus, Reynolds, Tange etc) and also what type (usually cr-mo but sometimes with manganese or other stuff)
either you aren't showing us the whole decal or if that's all it says maybe it's just comparatively low-grade steel (i.e. high tensile or "hi-ten"). I've never heard of hi-ten being double butted but it's definitely better to have it vs straight-gauge tubes
>>
File: IMG_20211124_185048__01.jpg (2.48 MB, 3642x2986)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB JPG
>>1735720
me again
have a pic
>>
I've been looking for a steel frame that's visually appealing color wise and not beat to shit, but should I even hold out for anything with Reynolds or Columbus tubing? Frames in general in my size are kind of hard to find(48) but even harder to find in any specialty tubing. My current bike is a Tange cromo frame, and I don't have any rigidity or stiffness issues. Am I really going to be missing something by not getting a more prestigious steel?

If you're wondering why I'm looking for a frame, mine is pretty gouged and rusty, I want something that looks nice and I don't like the idea of repainting a frame.
>>
how do i bunny hop higher?
>>
>>1735776
its actually aluminium
>>
>>1735720
>>1735779
No.
>>
>>1735783
Tange isn't less prestigious than reynolds or columbus.
They all make high end stuff and low end stuff, even columbus. Aelle or tretubi columbus is pretty basic. Tange prestige is very desirable.

True Temper and Oria and various house tubing can also be very very good or not so.

You might even find a frame with columbus SL or something that you don't really like much how it rides, or something with more basic tubing that you love. I wouldn't obsess over it. Finding paint you like is more important really, and also, certain marques and models will be regarded beyond tubing used.
>>
>>1735720
>T U B I N G
>>
>>1735812
it reminds me of those adverts like WELL this *G*U*Y* (fucks) D-O-G-S click here
>>
>>1735720
>how many fonts do you want
>yes
>>
>>1735779
I know the materials used in frame construction and the vocabulary of this feature. I wanted to know it it makes me cool. you guys are the coolest people I know....
>>
do you guys think wiggle will refund me for g-ones that are undersized
they are 4mm undersized and schwalbe says +/- 3mm is the acceptable deviation
the 17mm internal rim they're on is within spec per schwalbe charts

Am i being unreasonable. I know these things happen but 36mm instead of 40mm is pretty bullshit, it's like 2 sizes different.
>>
>>1735829
lmao how is 3mm an acceptable tolerance for anything? Worth trying though if you aren't satisfied. In general the tire size and the actual inflated width aren't necessarily going to be exactly the same thing for any tire, plus on wider rims they would be a couple mm wider. 4mm is a lot though.
>>
>>1735829
You should definitely try to get that refund.
>>
File: 1637175626579.gif (1.95 MB, 322x322)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB GIF
Both my bikes are perfect and there's nothing I can even tinker with anymore other than massive upgrades like carbon wheels or some shit. How do I deal with this bullshit?
>>
>>1735873
Buy another bike.
>>
>>1735873
Ride them until something happens that's tinkerable.
>>
>>1735873
build a third bike
>>
>>1735794
Practice on lower ground.
>>1735873
Junk box bike for the pure fun of it.
>>
>>1735815
>you guys are the coolest people I know
Your social life is terrible
>>
>>1735783
tubing brand doesn't matter insofar as how well the tubeset is matched to the bike's purpose. that's one of the reasons why miyata sstb is well-liked, as miyata produced their own tubes and were able to make custom tubesets for every model to best match that bike's purpose and price point. their tubing was also well-made. ishiwata/kaisei tubing has consistency and finish a step above everyone else, but bikes made with it rarely advertise that fact with a sticker. but again, it doesn't really matter, as you can make a great bike with meh tubing or a shit bike with the best steel ever made
>>1735814
bruh dropped like $20 on one of those font cd-roms at fry's and wanted to flex
>>
>>1735913
don't talk yourself down like that anon. you are cool.
>>
>out riding aluminum road bike
>quill becomes loose
>go to nearby bike shop to tighten it up
>tight but still flexes a bit
How do I fix this? Is the quill nut too small or something? I was abusing the bike a bit before this happened, taking it off road, doing bunny hops, etc. as well.
>>
>>1735953
I thought you could only have quills on steel bikes? or is it only the steerer that must be steel
>>
>>1735955
Probably the latter? I have never heard this myself. I've owned a few walmart bso bikes as a kid that were alu with quills.
>>
>>1735953
clean the bolt and wedge, and put a lot of grease there.

>tight but still flexs
flexes? Or actually the stem moves if you put your weight on the bars?
The former is normal. Stems, especially quill stems, flex. Normal. Moving, is not normal.
>>
>>1735955
no anon, that's not correct. Neither is correct.
>>
>>1735959
post alloy threaded steerer
>>
>>1735953
also is whatever you're describing, headset play?
>>
>>1735958
It doesn't move, but it feelslike ifI were to force it enough it would move. You know how when you try to break a seized bolt loose, you'll get that flexing feeling on the wrench along with a creak? It's basically like that.
>>1735963
not headset play
>>
>>1735962
dude what
it's extremely common
all those allum forks on early allum treks, cannondales etc, you think they all had steel steerers?

Why?
>>
>>1735967
clean and grease lad. Lots of grease all around the wedge. The threads too.

It will get tighter
>>
>>1735969
I think so yes. I am happy to be proven wrong if you can do so
>>
>>1735973
why do you think that though lol
>>
>>1735975
I feel like ally would not be a good choice with the way a threaded steering system distributes force. can you link me to an alloy threaded steerer? I haven't claimed something is or isn't yet, just asked the question.
>>
>>1735971
Yeah, I'll do that. I remember I swapped the stem and bars months ago back to the originals and haven't touch the bike since. I'm not sure if I greased or not.
>>
>>1735955
my trek 1400 from like 91 has a quill stem. I stripped the decals off so posting it won't really prove it but you could look it up I guess
>>
>>1736044
yep, steel steerer.
>>
>>1735975
because pushing a steel wedge inside an aluminum tube isn't a great idea
steel on steel quill stems already seize fairly easy, imagine steel on alu
>>
File: 1611259771980.jpg (89 KB, 905x824)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
What is this hanger called? Are derailleur hangers in high demand and low supply or something? I can't find shit online. I need this one part to fully put my project together but I know fuck all about hangers.

This thing split when I was trying to align it.
>>
File: 1626410701163.jpg (227 KB, 2017x1184)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>1736074
Well I went looking and found this on amazon. They don't ship where I live. The language is in French (I'm from EU) and it doesn't exactly say much other than "Générique S46011". Is S46011 the... code? I don't even know what to call that. The label? Title? Type? Slot? No idea.

Would this work if I can order it from somewhere? Does anyone here know where you can order these in EU?
>>
>>1736074
>>1736080
Many different manufacturers make these gearhangers, the one you posted is a pretty common version, most of LBS should have them. You can even get them on Aliexpress for less than $2, like here: https://a.aliexpress.com/_u9Z6P2 . Or just look for Union GH-011.
>>
>>1734906
Why do Dutch pople look at me like a weirdo for for wearing a crash helmet? I know you're not likely to get hit by a car because of those wonderful bike roads (apparently mopeds on them aren't a problem though go figure) but you could still come off and a helmet is vital, common sense yes?

Especially in the centre of Amsterdam where it's a lot more busy.

On another random note - does anyone know of a rinko bag where you can get away with taking the front wheel off and leave the back one one, but has small wheels on the bottom? Going to Japan next year and not being able to hoist my bike onto the train with my panniers on the back is going to make it difficult.
>>
>>1736044
Ha, my bike in question is also a 91 1400.
>>
File: 1635536855590.png (211 KB, 467x467)
211 KB
211 KB PNG
>weigh 88kg
>backpack weighs 10kg
>bicycle is 10 - 11kg
>commute to work 6 days a week
>bike doesn't crumble under the weight

How is this possible? How do bicycles even work?
>>
>>1736124
>backpack weighs 10kg
Get some panniers, bro.
>>
>>1736127
>panniers
Had to google what that is. Looks really gay, bro
>>
File: blb_t-rack__detail11.jpg (117 KB, 800x600)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>1736130
Then get a rack or whatever to take these 10kgs off you. I had a constant backache when I was riding to school, once I realized it was because of a heavy backpack i started to carry it on my bike, and the pain immediately stopped. Even if you don't feel it now, you will sooner or later.
>>
still waiting for an example of a bike with alu steerer >>1735959
>>
>>1736141
alu threaded steerer ***
>>
>>1736124
What the hell are you taking to work that weighs 10kg?
>>
>>1736145
the bike he rides home to keep the km off his morning bike
>>
>>1736141
They probably have been made, only problem with them is that the forces caused by a front break with destroy the threads unless perfectly tuned. This is not an issue in track bikes or ultra lightweight essentially disposable race bikes. Unlikely to have ever entered production.
>>
>>1736152
>probably
still waiting. nice zero content post.
>>
>>1736155
Great job on missing the point. How does "being right" on an Argentinian sheep herding forum work for you? Does it really give worth to your life and provide purpose?
>>
>>1736145
>change of clothes - 2kg
>laptop and charger - 2kg
>lunch n' munchies - .5kg
>lock - .5kg
>dildo - 5kg
>>
>>1736141
that was me saying you're wrong and i was wrong because I meant they were common, which they're not

they did apparently exist though:
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/519017-could-i-thread-aluminum-steerer-tube-mount-old-nitto-stem.html
>the very early Vitus forks were available with threaded aluminum steerer tubes. They broke as fast as you'd expect and were recalled just as quickly.

But imo that doesn't really count because it wasn't really a thing. Just for curiosities sake
>>
>>1736165
boggles the mind that the engineers would even try it! no wonder they were recalled. I think this proves you were right that they did exist once upon a time though so I concede defeat
>>
>>1736124
metal strong, bro
>>
>previous /bqg/ OP images were deleted within hours for having some Male presence (rightfully so in the case of the gay-bait), but this trashy OP stays up for over half the thread life at this point.

If you are going to delete OPs for the slightest sex bait atleast be consistent about it. I apologize for complaining. I would complain on the designated meta board, but it seems to be down at the moment.
>>
>>1736080
Wheels mfg is the goto for those in america if you don't mind paying for quality. Looks like they do international shipping.

https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hanger-25.html

Or if you want the exact same thing for more than double the price (wtf?)

https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hangers/1-fastener-derailleur-hangers/derailleur-hanger-52.html
>>
>>1736195
first gay bqg stayed up
the issue is repeating it, or, anything
>>
Help a retard understand chain wrap.

Touring bike has pic rel. I want to get some low gear range. Spec sheet says 34t max cog, and 34t chain wrap capacity. Parts I'm thinking of installing are a 14-34 freewheel, and 46-36-24 chainrings, so chain wrap is 42t.

But isn't that only a problem if I crosschain? Or is the capacity calculated anticipating you *won't* crosschain, and reflects normal intended use?
>>
>>1736217
I don't know, sorry
>>
>>1736217
So if you go with that freewheel and chainring setup (which has 42t chain wrap like you said) and use a derailleur that only has 34t chain wrap capacity, you'll have trouble in one or both of the "extremes". By that I mean your 2 extreme cross-chain gears (small in front and small in back, and big in front big in back). If you size your chain so it's not too long in small/small, then it won't be long enough to get into big/big - and vice versa.
>>
File: Page+34.jpg (662 KB, 1056x816)
662 KB
662 KB JPG
>>1736217
>pic rel
looks like RD-DE20, maybe its a slightly newer version

46-24=22 (front difference)
34-14=20 (rear difference)
22+20=42 (chain wrap)

An Deore XT RD M700 from the year of 1983 has only just enough chain wrap for this application

Long Cage mite not be enough
Alpine Gears often call for Super Long Cage (SGS)

>But isn't that only a problem if I cross chain
so long as you only use the smallest chain ring in combination with the three largest Free-wheel Sprockets you should be ok

>Or is the capacity calculated anticipating you *won't* cross chain
not that I'm aware of, normal practice has been to calculate the full range
>>
>>1736217
It's not critical
You setup your chain in big + big + 2 links per standard sheldon, so it doesn't explode in big + big

And that means the cage will fold back and rub on itself in small + small. Which isn't a big deal. Most people never use that gear and even if someone does, it won't damage anything, it will just make a racket and not run smoothly.

Your front derailer probably wouldn't handle 23-14 either, it would rub on the lower cage plate.
>>
>>1736204
I just don't want /BQG/ to become like the "Fishing & Tackle" threads on /out/ with poorly executed sex bait in every single OP. There are countless porno boards on this website alone.
>>
>>1736248
>in every single OP
I agree
And that won't happen
but sometimes is ok .
>>
How do I choose a rear rack? I want something I can attach my insulated shopping bags on for grocery trips. My budget is sort of limited also.
>>
>>1736287
how do you want to attach the bags? tie the handles together and hang them over the top/sides? you can probably do something like that with whatever cheapest rear rack is available near you. wald makes folding baskets that can be hose clamped/ziptied to a rack, but they're heavy and maybe more than you want to spend.
>>
>>1736298
Yeah that is what I had in mind actually. I may just go to my lbs and see what they have for racks. Those baskets in pic seem like they might be a bit short lengthwise since my insulated bags are relatively large.
>>
>>1736304
The Wald racks are sort of hold overs, there are plenty of soft sided options which lock securely to the rack while being easy to remove when not needed and do not rattle when folded. Search for grocery/market panniers, you will get a large selection. The Soma Fillmore is quite nice. Your local bike shop will likely carry something of the sort.
>>
>>1736305
okay, thanks.
>>
File: 81kJc9UW4ZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (91 KB, 1500x1218)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>1736287
Do you have rack mounts? If not you'll be looking at clamp-on racks, either onto the seatstays or the seat tube. If you do have mounts, that opens up options. How much weight are you looking to carry? Are you wanting just a milk crate on the top, panniers on the sides, or both?

Off the cuff I've been very happy with my Axiom racks (pic). I've had them up to about 60lbs on grocery runs multiple times, and they hang really far back so I can run large panniers without striking my heel on the bag.
>>
>>1736287
>My budget is sort of limited
get a used one for like 2-10$
unless you have disc brakes they're almost all universal and can be made to fit by bending them.
If you want a basket, again, any basket, attach with zip ties

wa la
>>
>>1736309
Only mounts on the chain stay, none on the seat stays. I was looking at what I believe they sell at a shop near me and they say they come with "universal mounts" but I'm not entirely sure what mounts they contain. Something that goes far enough back would be ideal since my bags are about a foot and a half long collapsed, but I shouldnt need to carry more than 30lbs. The heaviest thing being a 10lbs potato sack that I would have to distribute between the two.
Wouldn't hurt to just ride down to the shop and check.
>>1736310
The most ideal combo I have found locally would be a 120 mile round trip so I do not think it's worth it. I've checked ebay and haven't really found any cheaper ones thus far, apart from some extremely nondescript ones so I'd have to ask the seller for measurements and stuff. No mounting hardware included either.
>>
>>1736287
also anon, the shitty racks are the ones with too much adjustability.

the arms at the top should be adjustable. It's tolerable if the mounting point at the bottom is adjustable. It sucks if it's adjustable midway up the fork legs or where the legs meet the top part.
Just means it's flexier and likely to slip out of adjustment.

some racks too, are REALLY wide, which is annoying if you have a regular narrowish tire bike

And if you want to run panniers, the best rear racks have a parallel rail, lower than the rack top, to clip them too, to get them lower, and keep the rack top free.

For your ghetto use of swinging bags over it anything will work but I do suggest you get some baskets.
>>
File: p clamp.jpg (12 KB, 600x337)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1736314
the seat stay mounts are not important. You can just use a p-clamp there.
>>
>>1736314
>apart from some extremely nondescript ones so I'd have to ask the seller for measurements and stuff.
you wouldn't lol
>no hardware
few m5 bolts and washers
big deal

still, not saying that does make sense unless it's much cheaper
>>
>>1736318
>you wouldn't lol
I'm not going to buy a rack for a bike with 26" wheels when this clearly won't fit. Plenty of listings don't include such basic information.
I do agree with you about hardware being a non issue, though. But the main question is if I can actually find a rack suitable for a good price. I'll keep looking.
>>
>>1736320
a rack for bikes with 26" wheels will fit

There's always a lot of spare clearance with racks and unless you mean 29" mtb tires, the larger tyre sizes of 26" compared to road tires means the circumference of tyre+wheel is actually pretty similar.
>>
>>1736322
I should have been more clear, it's going on a bike with 700x25 tires. So that would be compatible?
>>
>>1736323
yes
>>
>>1736106
Why the hell don't they accept PayPal?
>>
>>1734906
what do you guys do when you're not cycling?
>>
>>1736358
working
cleaning my bike
sleeping
>>
>>1736358
post on /n/
>>
>>1736358
thinking about why I'm not riding my bicycle
>>
>>1736358
Work, read, write, music, woodworking, cook, bake bread.
>>
File: file.png (624 KB, 640x426)
624 KB
624 KB PNG
I don't know whether this is the right thread for this.

I bought a really shitty ebike kit some months ago but the battery was bust. I don't have a display or pedal assist only a crappy thumb throttle. I bought a new battery in hopes of getting it to work but something is wrong.
The wheel spins fine when there is no load and speeds up more when light load is applied.
However when I ride it around the motor goes up to maybe 10 km/h at most and then shuts off and turns back on again at maybe 5 km/h.
How can I test whether this is a battery issue, controller issue, motor issue or something else. It's been over 6 months and my bike has just been standing unused for that time.
>>
>>1736393
For the battery you can attach an voltmeter and monitor the voltage while you are runinng. (voltage should go down slightly during march and stay there till total discharge).

I feel more like its a controller issue, probably since the engine is crappy it is trying to limit the powere going throug to avoid it to overheat.
>>
>>1736399
Thanks for the tips. I will try reading the voltage and see if it drops too low otherwise I will try buying a new controller. If neither works I will probably just buy a proper ebike fully assembled
>>
File: IMG_20211126_160026666.jpg (2.05 MB, 3840x2160)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>1736287
this was $35 + $2 for the p clamps at the hardware store. did i do good, /n/?
I would have gone to a store to get baskets but it started raining and it was cold. They wanted like $35+ for a basket at the bike shop.
>>
>>1734966
Fucking faggot
>>
>>1736405
> threaded rack mounts immediately above p-clamps
>>
>>1736426
That's the seat post binder bolt.
>>
>>1736405
nice bike what's the frame made of?
>>
>>1736433
the guy who sold it to me said something like crow-moe...? not entirely sure what that means.
>>
>>1736429
So it goes through between the stays or something? It probably looks cool up close but in that pic it does look a bit odd being that far from the seat tube.
Another thing is that when both ends are flat, it's common to attach the rack there, or at least I've seen it a lot personally, though in your case it looks like they would've come up too short so good job either way.
>>
>>1736433
>>1736435
It says what it is right on the frame.
>>
>>1736405
lol are u the retard who thought he had an alu steerer cause the frame says it
>>
File: 1614098215577.jpg (24 KB, 600x522)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>1736437
>>
What are some low-step bikes? Plus for caliper brakes and not disc brakes.
>>
>>1736438
no, that was the other guy with a 1400.
>>
>>1736441
ok sorry. nice bike anon
>>
>>1736440
if you want to buy ancient low quality shit you might have to go second hand
>>
>>1736440
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-1-stagger/p/32770/

If you need a lower stepover height than that you might not be in good enough physical shape to ride a bicycle.
>>
>>1736447
The used bicycle market is completely fucked for every kind of bike where I live and has been since April 2020.

>>1736448
Looks good.
>>
File: x.jpg (78 KB, 800x464)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>1736448
>>1736440

there are these kind of bikes, not too uncommon in Germany and I guess aimed at seniors, it all depends on what the why you need the low step for

(image from "tiefeinsteiger fahrrad" in google images, not sure of what's available in your area and bike markets)
>>
>>1736405
Nice setup, Anon. Thanks for the update. I like how you placed the U-lock. Red is a nice colour to look at especially on a clean bike like yours.
>>
File: 20211125_070900.jpg (151 KB, 1585x683)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>
>>1736405
how do u stop that lock banging ur seat stays
>>
>>1736477
desu i just put it there to get it out of my bag, usually I just hook it through my belt loop.
>>
>>1734906
what's the preference on retrofit bike motors? 2 stroke or 4 stroke, and why?
>>
>>1736479
I just got a rack kinda like that I was thinking of getting a u lock as an upgrade from my crappy cable one. maybe there is a bracket I can buy to fit in the pannier spot
>>
File: IMG_20211127_111844.jpg (2.21 MB, 2419x1814)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB JPG
>>1736479
m'rack
>>
>>1736482
The bontrager one I bought does have a frame mount that you slide the lock on to, maybe look into one of those.
>>
>>1736462
I keep kneeing a milk crate I mounted on the rear pannier while getting off the bike.
>>
File: wire basket.jpg (133 KB, 1500x1500)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>1736405
>They wanted like $35+ for a basket at the bike shop.
fuck that. The thing about bicycle-specific baskets is they're designed to be removed, which makes the whole system pretty sketchy. Other than that, regular metal baskets zip tied on are far superior.
>>
>>1736486
don't look for low step then just look for step throughs and mixtes
>>
File: Kona Coco.jpg (867 KB, 2994x1733)
867 KB
867 KB JPG
>>
good dammit, i developed valve line up autism
>>
>>1736492
not as bad as setting up rim brakes
>>
there are 2 cool types of bicycle. hardtail mtb and road bike.
dutch/city/mixte/step thru: gay. say no more. just extremely gay.
gravel: road bike with wide tyres? who cares
tt bike: sopping wet piss carriers
touring bike: limousine larpers
hybrid: 40yo who thinks he's gonna get "back into cycling"
full sus: does 40km a year all downhill. pedals have been seized for over a year and rider hasn't noticed because it is only ever ridden downhill.
tandem: as if u know anyone who wants to ride with u
>>
>>1736495
touring bike mixte
>>
>>1736492
20 IQ: lining valves up with the tire logo
200 IQ: lining valves up with the tread wear indicator dots

>>1736494
Sorry you're retarded
>>
File: 1609255335481.png (805 KB, 972x552)
805 KB
805 KB PNG
>>1736495
>tandem: as if u know anyone who wants to ride with u
Maybe not, but when I do I'll have a great excuse to stick my face in their ass
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1.62 MB, 3888x2592)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
>>1736497
>steel bike
>is bent
many such cases
>>
>>1736501
eh well it's bob jackson, quality was about what you'd expect from norfmen working out of a shed
>>
>>1736501
it's deliberate tard
to make the step through bit a little lower
it's good design
you might as well point out the fork is bent because it's curved
>>
>>1736501
you fucking moron
>>
File: 1632219098092.jpg (46 KB, 480x306)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>1736511
>i...it's supposed to be that way!
holy cope
>>
>>1736528
explain to me how it could possibly have come to be that way without being deliberate and without the weld breaking.
>>
File: 1620293475284.jpg (87 KB, 1280x720)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>1736529
Bent upward at bottom bracket, downtube+chainstay angle sharpens and a bend forms at that spot in the middle without it moving relative to the seattube.
>>
how do you avoid your hair becoming an absolute mess when you cycle places?
>>
>>1736551
Shave your head. It will reduce weight and aerodynamic drag.
>>
File: useless.jpg (358 KB, 1237x898)
358 KB
358 KB JPG
>>1736287
firstly by tire diameter and tire width,
then you have to deal with the Frame Geometry and mounting points of your bike
and avoid compromising the performance of any brakes that may be in the way

most racks have a way to adjust the length and angle of the upper support arms
these supports mount either to a hole in the seat stay bridge (same hole as calliper rim brakes)
or onto threaded braze ons located on the seat stays above the Chain stay bridge
if there are no such mounts its possible (but not advisable) to secure the upper supports to the seat post clamp, or to the seat post its self
or P clips can be used if the frames tube shape allows, and the load light enough

the lower support legs of slightly more expensive racks can be adjusted in length, while not strictly necessary this is a nice feature to have
the fork ends / drop outs of a non racing bike may have threaded Eyelets built in, one for mounting a rack another for mounting fender supports
if no lower mount is present, some racks can be mounted to the axle of the wheel, but this is an old or unusual feature

not all racks are suited to carrying pannier bags
to stop the pannier bags from wobbling about and getting caught in the wheels, an extended frame is needed
the rack in >>1736309 has L shaped extensions built in

each bike is so different in shape and size its not really possible to recommenced a rack without knowing the bikes dimensions
fully adjustable racks avoid some of this issue, but tend to be more expensive and fragile
as a side note steel racks are far more durable, many times I have seen the welds on alloy racks fail
where as a steel rack can flex and bend allot more before failing entirely
>>
>>1736551
Cut it too short to be affected. Too cowardly to shave it though, at least unless/until I start going bald.
>>
>>1736567
I would, but my head is far too large for my body and I sort of just end up looking like a cartoon character when I have short hair. I suppose if I grow it out to mid back length again it would be less affected than being as short as it is now.
>>
I have to sleep now
but here is a quick look at some Features of bike racks
never mind the model of rack, you just have to know what to look for
>>
Is it normal for a gear change to be so difficult? I'm so scared of changing my left gears on my bike because its not smooth and I'm scared the chain's gonna break when I go up on the left gear
>>
>>1736577
>left gears
well you sound like a retard, so it's pretty likely you're trying to shift at the worst time and doing it like a fucking spaz. shifting the front mech is always going to feel more difficult than the rear. avoid shifting under load and move the shifter as smoothly as possible. this means start moving the shift lever as your right foot finishes putting down power, the shift completes in the "dead zone" of your pedal stroke, and by the time your left foot is coming around to produce power, the shift is done.
>>
>>1736577
Zero chance the chain will break, but if it doesn't shift well adjusting it will probably help a lot. You can take it to a shop or learn to DIY it. A shop will probably charge you like $10 which is way more than the job's worth.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustment
>>
>>1736577
It's not normal, but it's common, and often it can be quite difficult to fix/ not worth fixing.

I wouldn't worry about your chain breaking. That is not what will break.

There are 4 factors:
>The cable is probably worn, adding a lot of friction, making the shift rougher/harder.
>The shifter mechanism might be gummed up. You can test it if you re-cable, and see if it shifts easily with no cable, if not, the solution is just spraying the fuck out of it with wd40 to free up grease.
>the derailer itself might not be pivoting smoothly, again, test with cable removed, and fix by spraying the fuck out of it
>(this is a very common serious issue) the crank might be too far outboard, meaning the derailer has to be shifted to the very limit of its travel, which requires a lot of force. IE the bottom bracket spindle is too long. Also, possibly, the chainrings are not well ramped to aid shifting.

The solution is to re-cable, and check the derailer and shifter both with the cable removed. But yes. It might just suck. Depending on the bike, you might find a different shifter makes hard leverage a lot easier (likely, a friction shifter)
>>
>>1736497
I wish I had a bike like that
>>
File: 1591826630360.png (87 KB, 707x505)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
>>1736508
>norfmen working out of a shed
>>
>>1736587
I got an 80s Raleigh Rapide mixte for free out of a guy's garage. Debating what to build it into, because my Kodiak fits me better and already fills the "comfy vintage tourer" slot in the stable.
>>
File: rscm-_57.jpg (274 KB, 1600x1066)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
>>1736596
post pic

If you don't want it then it's more about what parts you don't want than what you would want it to be if you did want it
>>
>>1736495
nice tweet now get out of here
>>
>>1736597
Don't feel like digging it out so here's a pretty similar example. 27" unbranded single wall wheels, Shimano skylark/thunderbird derailleurs, cottered cranks, basic stamped sidepulls with aluminum levers.

Leading plan is to clean it up and service it, swap to swept flat bars with thumbies, put a fair saddle on it and sell it off, but I'm concerned I won't make enough to cover the parts, much less anything on the labor
>>
>>1736609
Good plan. All those bike boom 'road bikes' deserve casual-ification.

The conversion shouldn't cost much if anything, flat bars, thumbies? Cheap if not free. Canti flat bar levers also pretty easy to find.

consumables to service might add up though, if you want to do it well. Could just sand off the brake pads and soak the chain and try re-use some of the cables. Do it thriftymode.

If you said $50 max into it, i'm sure a well sussed bike in most markets would be $80 atleast. As for your labour, it's fun, no? And good to have more people riding bikes.
>>
File: stands.jpg (104 KB, 736x552)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
Will I get spoke misalignment on the front wheel of my road bike if I keep it in a DIY stand such as this one? Was unconcerned with this since I only owned MTBs before, in short are the wheels more sensitive?
>>
>>1736744
>>1736744
>>1736744
>>1736744

Now with subject line
>>
>>1736664
should be ok, unless it's outside and very windy all the time and the bike gets sloshed around I guess
my broken and misaligned wheels all came due to broken spokes and too hard drops from curbs with broken spokes
if you are DIYing it, why not add a vertical bar left and right to it for support
>>
>>1736664
With those tires it's probably not even touching the rim anyway, let alone the spokes. Anyway I don't see how it'd be a problem.
>>
>>1736664
I wouldn't keep a bike in that...
Any bike
if it falls (knocked over, wind) it can fuck the wheels up

at the least you should strap the front wheel to the downtube when you park it, so it can't swing. Then it's much less likely to fall.
>>
>>1736551
pocket combs a cheap and available the world over.
>>
>>1736481
2 stroke. price, power to weight ratio, simplicity

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.