[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 34 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_20211120_123420.jpg (1.14 MB, 3648x1679)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
Sup Transporters? Lets get a boat thread going.
Pic related is my first and new sailboat. Produced in 1978 by Genzel in Germany.

Got it for piss cheap money (500€s down from 1500€). The guy really needed to get rid of it.
Im wintering over freshwater in a lake. What am I in for?
>>
And here are its specifications : https://sailboatdata.com/index.php/sailboat/phantom-28-streuer?units=metric
>>
do people still make boats out of wood? i hear wooden boats are incredibly more comfortable than say metalic or composite material ones because of the way it absorbs the sound and impact from the water but I've never been able to witness being on a boat
>>
Congrats anon, I plan to get a dinghy this spring to take the wife and dog out.
>>
>>1734332
You look like you are in for some day sailing and perhaps weekend trips.

>>1734411
Some people do, if you wanted to have one built it would be no problem to find a yard with the skilled labor to do it or a designer to design it but it is primarily the craft of the backyard builder these days. As too what is more comfortable depends on what you prefer to suffer, fiberglass might be a bit louder but it is considerably dryer. Wood boats leak, the mast is a massive lever and the wind and waves twist the hull which works water through the joints of the hull, your already very damp environment just got damper. Some will coat the hull with epoxy or fiberglass and stick epoxy in the joints to remedy this but it opens up a new issue, if that rather thin skin gets damaged it lets water into the wood quicker than it lets it out so things start to rot, you have to keep up on maintenance and something like hitting a submerged log may cost you a few thousand to repair once you factor in haulout and yard costs where most fiberglass boats would shrug it off and you can just wait for the next haulout to deal with any damage.

But even then the noise in the hull is more about hull design, fiberglass can be louder but there is nothing that says it must be and there are plenty of quiet glass hulls.
>>
Damn, it, why is Marc Lombard so shit at internal layouts? The Neel 43 is awful. Three double cabins (plus two optional single ones) and just one toilet. And the shower isn't separate.
>>
>>1734437
Dinettes under 12m and multi hulls are are a lost cause.
>>
>>1734443
Thing is, I can understand it on the Dragonfly 40, since that one has a classic layout, and it's cramped as fuck by design.
But you have a ton more room on the Neel due to that wide deck style. Why not delete one of the double cabins and put another toilet (+ storage) there? I get it that they're usually bought by cruise companies whop want to maximize the number of people on board (since at least two of those are crew), but at least offer the option for fewer people but with more amenities.
>>
There are 2 good days to own a sailboat: When you buy it and when you sell it.
>>
>>1734448
They are designed for different purposes, Dragonfly40 is a cruiser and essentially just a mono as far as interior is concerned. Neel 43 is a dockside condo, boats actually designed for the charter market almost always have a second tiny head for crew. And most any builder does offer alternative layouts, just call them up and tell them your needs, if you are actually serious about buying one they will happily meet your needs.

>>1734459
Only if you are a moron who buys a sailboat (or any boat) for the wrong reasons. People buy them because they like the idea but it is no different then buying a condo or cabin while keeping your primary home, you either use it regularly or it becomes a burden.
>>
>>1734411
I had originally aimed for a metal one, since I heard they are basically indestructible in fresh water.
Fiberglass scared the hell out of me, but at this cheap prize I didnt have much of a choice.
Osmosis really robs me of my sleep
>>
>>1734459
Why so gloomy anon? Care to share your story?
>>
>>1734496
>Osmosis
That was only a problem because we assumed that epoxy was water proof in the early days of fiberglass and at the price you got the boat for having it barrier coated if needed will not break the bank. About the only reason to go metal is if you want to go far north or south into ice filled waters.
>>
>>1734499
his wife was raped by a boat
>>
>>1734499
He is only mentioning a widely know motto among boat owners.
The money sunk into boats basically is rarely ever paid off into fun on avarage.
>>
>>1734411
you can find some channels on youtube with people building/restoring wooden boats. very expensive
>>
File: file.png (1.93 MB, 807x1000)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB PNG
>>1734411
Stitch and glue plywood and fibreglass construction is popular with hobbyist boat builders
No idea if it would have the same benefits as more traditional construction compared to normal moulded fibreglass hulls though.
>>
File: JBoats_J_24.png (545 KB, 740x417)
545 KB
545 KB PNG
>>1734332
Lots of fun.

Just picked up a J/24, Don't have good pics of it right now but it recently had the deck redone, just needs some chips fixed up on the edge of the toe rail and interior cleaning and she should be good to go.

Very excited! Sailing has been my pastime for nearly 20 years
>>
Best thread. It’s winter so I’ve started night sailing in my SJ24
>>
>>1739586
Based, where out of?
>>
>>1740559
Thanks Anon. Southern BC, it’s great, you can sail year round here. This was from a race last weekend.
>>
>>1741244
Nice. I sail out on Lake Ontario and it's terribly sad to have to stop from November - May
>>
is it true that wooden boats can stay in the water much longer because the wood likes to stay in water?
>>
>>1741607
It does absorb it yes, but fibreglass and metal are much longer lasting.
>>
Best topic
>>
>>1743294
Kino boats.
Kino picture.
Need to find some hirez of this.
>>
>>1734332
How clean was it?
>>
File: 20220113-010212.png (2.25 MB, 1546x2048)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB PNG
CRUISEFAGS GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1751116
There's something vaguely lewd about a big round spinnaker
>>
File: daf50e9eabd2c6377cf332e8.jpg (3.77 MB, 4032x3024)
3.77 MB
3.77 MB JPG
>>1738998
never thought I'd see other j/24 losers on here. come race in miami
>>
File: sp-sailing-a-20160813.jpg (773 KB, 3500x2371)
773 KB
773 KB JPG
>>1751116
>using large boats for racing
Its like you go to a track day with a camper.
Dingy master race rise up
>>
File: file.png (704 KB, 550x458)
704 KB
704 KB PNG
>>1751143
>sailing boats instead of planes
>>
File: daf50e9eabd2c6377cf332e8.jpg (177 KB, 1152x2048)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>1751177
>>1751143
>google images
embarrassing really
>>
>>1734332
After being a professional Mariner, and working at a boat dealership, I advise to never get a boat, unless you have lakefront property and a wakeboat, or you’re a genuine fisherman.

Moorage is outrageous. It’s an entire day-event to trailer your boat to the water, bring food and drinks, the family or friends, to just put around.

Most boaters barely ever put 24 hours a year on their boat. The yachtees just like to bring people to their moored boat, to drink. Wake boats are often a financial flex, as they often are $100k for new boats, so you can flex your sound system and wake on the lake. Jetski owners typically don’t know a damn thing about rules of the road, and ride like assholes.

You need a license and insurance to buy a car. Anyone can walk into a dealership and get an 8 year loan on their boat, with no boaters license.
>>
>>1751239
>You need a license and insurance to buy a car. Anyone can walk into a dealership and get an 8 year loan on their boat, with no boaters license.
Sounds like a great reason for owning a boat instead of a car.
>>
File: Fishing.jpg (766 KB, 1952x2592)
766 KB
766 KB JPG
>>1751228
Ok fag, you made me dig in my old photo folders.
Here one of the last pic with my 470. Obviously we didnt catch any fish.
>>
File: IMG_20200412_185558.jpg (2.19 MB, 4032x3024)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
>>1751719
Based
>>
What are the procedures necessary to get a small boat for private water transport like cars on land? Do I need something similar to driving license and vehicle license plate and third party insurance? What else would be needed?
>>
>>1752795
What country do you live in?
What size of boat/engine you want to have? How far from the coast you are going to sail?
>>
>>1752803
>What country do you live in?
Hong Kong
>What size of boat/engine you want to have?
Enough to fit 1 or 2 people
>How far from the coast you are going to sail?
Inside the urban area within the harbor
>>
>>1734332
is there any way to contact with the crew of a cargo ship?
asking for >>>/pol/356941018
there might be some info on the Tonga post-volcano tsunami situation
>>
whats the biggest boat I could get that one person new to sailing could still handle by themselves?
>>
>>1753462
also want to know this, sailing seems pretty comfy
>>
>>1753462
Less than 35 feet, probably less than 30. I would recommend going sailing a few times before buying to see if it's something you actually want to do instead of just a neat idea. I would recommend getting a much cheaper, smaller boat to learn on, like a laser or a hobie.
>>
So does anyone have experience with sailing foil equipped dinghies? Any stories or recommendations?
>>
>>1753741
thanks fren, I have family living in a sea-side town so when I next go Ill see if there is anything I can get into there before doing anything
>>
>>1752807
Read the rule requirement for small boats in your country (you china now right).
If your social score is high enough you should be able to get a boat licence so that you can sail around the harbour.
>>
>>1751119
>think there are no /n/ people in Florida
>move to Nevada
Now I am sad. Post more boat photos, please!
>>
File: image.php.jpg (131 KB, 1200x1200)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>1734332
>>
>>1753615
>>1753462
Get a laser or sunfish first
>>1754123
sure
>>
>>1754024
https://www.mardep.gov.hk/en/faq/faq_lpfs.html
>Types of vessels which are not required to undergo survey prior to the issue of COO and OL are listed as follows:
>d. Class III outboard open sampans which are made of non-metal, less than 10m in length overall and are fitted with a petrol outboard engine of power not exceeding 12kW;

Does that mean I can just buy this and sail around the harbor? Is there any maritime traffic rule to follow? What to do when a container ship or a cruise ship come close?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.