[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 102 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 149039323532522.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
Lakes and Locks edition

Previous: >>1704913

Sticky:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mfJknMp1KS2W8lOFB36nl6uJOjpAVIkm/view
>>
>>1727090
>Locks
Locks are for pussys
>>
>>1727533
how are they moving without their masts
>>
narrow boat blocks english canal
0 tonnes of international freight held up
>>
>>1727533
B-but you can't go uphill in a boat!
REEEEEEEEEeeeeeee

>>1727630
Yeah, freight on the canals is much reduced since Brexit...
>>
>>1727090
Port Colborne
>>
>>1727630
Telegraph chatter
>Oi guvna me ol' long shippy done clogged the wa'ah street
>'ave you tried givin it the ol' kick?
>>
If i’m joining a ship in the welland canal how does it work once I know what lock to go to? Is there a port authority I have to deal with or do I just hop the fence
>>
hey y'all, I'm almost done with getting my Ordinary Seaman credentials, and am gonna be looking at jobs to apply soon. I know MSC is always available, but what other companies do you guys recommend I look into? I really want to go out to sea as soon as I can :(
>>
>>1727816
Tugs are hiring OS on the gulf coast and PNW.
>>
>>1727817
You got a company name or website I could look into? I’m more than willing to move out of my state for a job desu
>>
>>1727686
Read the sticky idiot
There’s literally a company directory.
>>
>>1727938
Fuck you look at who you reply to next time
>>
>>1727957
Tru

>>1727816
>>
>>1727630
I'm Greek but I always felt that the only people who buy narrowboats are old retired homosexual men
>>
>>1727090
If you want to add this to the sticky, Greek shipping companies looking for people ashore will usually post their positions on this website:
https://marine.careernet.gr/

For example Enesel (Lemos family) is looking for someone to go to Korea and oversee their newbuilding Afras under construction.
>>
>>1727938
>pic
you had a leak? why are those booms out in the water
>>
>>1727577
they employ the rope people to drag the,m along, obviously. have you never wondered what the guys in picrel do? I'll tell you: they drag in the boat with their bare hands. I seriously hope you didn't think a larger ship could actually dock under its own power lol
>>
File: hy.jpg (79 KB, 752x632)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>1727938
Why is the fence even there? You could just like...walk right past it. It even has barbed wire. What the fuck?
>>
>>1728055
you're fucking retarded, large ships aren't dragged in by shore workers holding the mooring lines
>>
>>1728056
To stop motorized vehicles. Not everything is about keeping people out you linear intelligence noob
>>
>>1728095
That doesn't explain the barbed wire. Is a bike going to try to jump the fence?
>>
>>1728122
Maybe, just maybe, the gate wasn't custom designed just for this specific location??
>>
>>1728046
I’ll add it to the doc

>>1728052
Idk Whenever we tie up near a coast guard base they always boom the ship for bunkering operations.

>>1728056
The fences at this port are pants on head retarded. They aren’t even the main fence keeping people out, they’re just in the way of fucking everything. I spent like three hours the other day moving a bunch of sections with the forklift so we could get a shoreside crane in.
>>
I am really torn between departments after getting both deck and engine rating licences. Redpill me on why I should switch to engi studies
>>
>>1728223
Less chance of being sent on deck during a storm
>>
>>1728058
>>
is it true that working onna boat is shit unless you specialize in something niche like DPA ships or LNG's?
>>
>>1728328
Guy I know is chief eng on a VLCC

Pros: $15k a month
Cons: it's a storage tanker so he didn't set foot on land for 6 months
>>
>>1728364
>didn’t set foot on land for 6 months
Thats a pro
>>
>>1728473
I was going to say that as well, Imagine not hearing about women, jews, and niggers for 6 months straight.
>>
File: ropefag.jpg (96 KB, 1200x675)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>1728055
Absolute chad has to catch that rope.
>>1728058
You probably think people just do this to look cool. Gotta stay in shape in your off time.
>>
Most captains and chief officers I know were promoted to CO at 26-28 years. All the cadets I see are not even 3O/3E at 25... This industry is fucked by the company requirements.
>>
Hey, I am currently in my last year at my school (Engine Department). I already did a few internships on some commercial vessels, and I was curious to hear your opinion on the work on Fishing vessels. I read both point of view where some would say it is a great thrilling experience, whereas some others would advise me to avoid the fishing industry at all cost because you would feel miserable as hell.
Also, how is the pay compared to a container ship?
Is it true that the sailors are crazy out there?
>>
>>1728788
idk how it is in the US but to me it sounds crazy that you'd go on a trawler instead of a containership
>>
>>1728749
Crew Matrix are evil and stupid.
It equiparates time in a grade to competency wich is in most case not true.
You can have 6 months as a chief officer and have done 2 drydocks + all the interting procedures. Or like 2 years with just standard laoding and discharge operations (then proceed to shit yourself at first gas freeing operation).
>>
how do taxes work in the USA/Canada for seafarers ? countries like UK, India, Singapore allow you to significantly reduce or not pay tax of you spend more than 180 odd days onboard. Salaries for us officers seems the same despite there not being a tax break, which means your net income is much less.
>>
File: 697.jpg (98 KB, 400x483)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
anyone here ever sailed the great loop?
>>
>>1728913
Is it possible to sail this route legally?
>>
MSO here, gotta say, I don't envy anyone who actually does any work on these vessels. Being paid to stare at a radar and wave AKs at retarded fishermen is the best job I've ever had.
Additionally, any experiences you guys wanna share about security dudes aboard?
>>
>>1728916
yeah, its done all the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Loop
>>
Do the lakes actually get rough seas/storms? Please no ego posting
>>
>>1729566
Quite regularly in some places. The mouths of Green Bay on Lake Michigan and Whitefish Bay on Lake Superior are notorious for the number of ships that they've taken.
>>
>>1729566
I've heard a lot of stories of ships lost in the lakes so it must get bad
Although the ships seem structurally questionable, being such long bois.
>>
>>1729133
>Additionally, any experiences you guys wanna share about security dudes aboard
I remember the story of some security guys who got arrested in India or Pakistan for illegally entering the country with guns when their ship entered their waters.
Spent years in jail. Not sure if they ever got out.

Imagine spending years in a Pakistani jail as a foreigner.
>>
>>1728913
I've taken boats up and down the east coast, and taken a boat up the river, but never in one go.
>>
>>1729801
Yeah that's why we used to just have to dump them off the side back in the day. Mostly can check them in and out off floating armories now; wish they would just make some MARSEC exemption or license for on board storage and use though.
>>
>>1729848
>floating armouries
Damn, checked them up and found gigachad
>>
>>1729848
In my cunt companies themself break the law by putting security on board
>be Netherlands, no one except police and military are allowed to own a gun for purposes of puttin caps into asses
>somalia happened
>marines have no where near the capacity to provice security for ships under Dutch flag
>politicians argue endlessly wether to allow companies to protect crew
>companies step forward to press, "were gonna hire PMCs, sue us"
>they never get in trouble with law
>to this day PMCs are hired, politicians still arguing
>>
>>1729887
Better to pay a relatively small fine in comparison to the cost of having to pay ransom on a hundreds of millions of dollars in value ship and crew; or even a higher cost of losing human life. IMO needs to get their ass in gear and just pass something sweeping.
>>
>>1729566
There's a reason why the Edmund Fitzgerald went down into a watery grave.
>>
Reminder that a brand new 3rd mate out ranks a chief engineer with 40 years of experience
>>
>>1730127
Sure. When you take working hours in consideration it all adds up in the end.
>>
>>1730146
gottem
>>
whats a watch like for a deckhand with MSC, is it 12 on 12 off? 16 on 8 off? all i know is 6 hrs isnt enough time to clean up and sleep.
>>
>>1730341
>6 hours isn't enough to sleep and get clean
lmao ok
>>
Has anyone here managed to find work without getting the jab? To my knowledge its quite easy for US crew (for now). Wondering if any EU or UK blokes had success as to my knowledge its been made impossible to travel without it and I doubt the company is going to pay for pcr tests getting to the ship and back.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (55 KB, 1280x720)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
Today's the day

Press F to pay respects
>>
>>1730516
Company will make you take PCR tests regardless of vaxxfag status for coming aboard and disembarking; at least for international servicing lines.
>>
>>1730494
>lmao
lmao it isn't
>>
>>1730599
>the pride of the American side
F
>>
I don't care about the Gaymund Fitzgayrald!
>>
>>1730599
https://youtu.be/PH0K6ojmGZA
>>
mary time is for fags
>>
>>1730494
it actually isn't unless your one of those bootlickers who gets off to corporations fucking you and your crew in the arse.
>>
>>1727090
Not sure where to ask, so I'll ask here. Do you know any books on marine navigation? Maybe some for beginners? Any titles or authors?
>>
>>1730647
based
>>
>>1730973
Bowditch is all you need
>>
>>1730494
Fagt never worked as a decka before
>>
>>1728328
I’m chief engineer on a tug. I make 120k, get my own room with a desk, don’t actually do much other than turn the engine on and off and do record paperwork. I like the life.

>>1728788
Absolutely not. Alaska fishing fleet is the refuge of the absolute worst people, the boats are totally fucked, you’ll be working your ass off trying to keep their fucked up deck and fish processing equipment going. Avoid it.
>>1728899
The USA makes zero special tax breaks for Mariners. Anyone who says otherwise, claims to be deducting a personal per diem for each day at sea or something; just hasn’t been audited yet.
There are shady accountants who will try to push this on you. Again, you will eventually get audited and fucked. I’ve seent it happen.
>>
>>1727090
hi /mg/
how do i get hired to work in a container ship?
i have a degree in ME
>>
>>1732240
Read the sticky dildo.
>>
>>1732310
>Inb4 muh jewgle
>>
>>1731955
Yea fisherman are fucking insane. Not a good place for any long term happiness l, although quite a thrill to experience if you get an opportunity IMO
>>
I'm a guy in his 30's that hasn't worked in several years.

I live near the outer banks. NC

I don't have any major health issues, 5'10" 160lb~ not very muscular, but I can toughen up.

I can swim and I am 100% fearless.

What's the worst job that no one ever wants to do? Could I get away with doing it?
I'm not looking for $$ or easy. I'm just bored, and I want some war stories. I like the beach, and I'm not afraid of the water.
>>
>>1732839
You might actually be a good candidate for Alaskan fishing, if you really just want adventure and fucked up experiences.

Generally speaking life in the merchant marine is very mundane. It’s definitely different but excitement and adventure are the exception not the rule. We do this for a career because the pay is great and we’re weird and unable to function in normal jobs.
>>
>>1732841
>We do this for a career because the pay is great and we’re weird and unable to function in normal jobs.
That about sums it up.
>>
How different are the qmed sample tests from the actual test? If i learn everything on the sample test and memorize answers can i pass the real one?
>>
>>1732914
Those sample test questions are real questions from the database. But there’s a couple hundred to a thousand questions in the question pool, and your test will be randomly generated from those questions.
The QMED stuff is pretty easy, mostly questions about tools and valves and shit like that.
If you really want to be certain, you can find any number of test prep software for sale which contains all known questions, so you can learn all of them and pass no matter what you get thrown at you.
>>
>>1732841
Yup there was a guy who categorized merchant seafarers into 3 categories:
>crazy
>idiots
>desperate for money

I was betweend the last two when I was onboard. Then I got a land job.
>>
>>1732841
>>1733056
Merchant marine life is definitely not for everyone but if you are the type of person that doesn’t mind being dead to the world for half the year and then living the neet life for the other half with tons of money then the career is great.
>>
>>1732839
You're literally me but alas I live in Canada and there are no ebbin seafarer opportunities for the average schmuck as far as I know.
>>
>>1732938
The only mariner advancement for the pumpman/mach is the jr engineer one. I have the sample questions but they are mixed in with all the others in general knowledge.
>>
>>1733268
Nvm theyre tagged
>>
File: roads.jpg (297 KB, 1120x1503)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
>>1733109
>dead to the world for half the year and then living the neet life for the other half with tons of money
That's a good way to describe it
>>
File: anime1.jpg (72 KB, 640x635)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
I'll finally get to sail this January :)
>>
If any of you are a Long Beach pilot I'm sorry my captain was such a jerkoff to you
>>
Realistically, how many years are you going to sail? I’m thinking 10 would be enough to become captain and then start teaching at an academy or something
>>
>>1733827
we must capture the enemies mascot at all costs
once their avatar is apprehended by our forces,
enemies moral will be broken, having failed to protect their waifu, they will forever live in shame and dishoner.
>>
>>1734288
I just got a week on week off position on a harbor tug, I figure I can do this for 20 years and get the SIU pension.

Matey matey wheelhouse cagey all day long you stand and ragey.
Engie comfy engie cool, engie free from nav watch rules.
>>
>>1734313
Engineers aren’t sailors
>>
>>1733117
Plenty of maritime companies in Canada, you need to look harder.

https://shippingmatters.ca/about-cos/membership-directory/wpbdp_category/tug-operator/
https://greatlakesmaritimejobs.org/getting-maritime-job/employers-unions-canada/
There’s also a host of companies that operate out of newfundland or however it’s spelled that operate OSV’s and anchor handling tugs that I’m 99% sure require Canadian mariners.

>>1734313
>>1734435
Both of you fags shut up and just agree to hate the steward department because they’re all made of lazy shitlords that can’t be bothered to put out a good meal when that’s literally all their job entails.
>>
>>1732839
you just need to read the sticky if you want to get into the industry
>>
File: engie.jpg (13 KB, 249x203)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
Engie engie, my poo won't flushy, get your wrench and make it worky!
Deckie comfy deckie cool, makes the engie smell his stool!
>>
I just got my qmed endorsement, will any private companies hire me as one or do i have to get some sea time sailing as one first
>>
File: 1634876399486.png (277 KB, 500x497)
277 KB
277 KB PNG
I sort of just wanna sail nonstop for twenty years and then uh, retire at 43
>>
>>1735101
Then die 5 years later of a heart attack having wasted your entire life
>>
>>1735103
too close to home. my bosun's dad just died after spending his whole life at sea. I hear he rarely asked for leave
>>
>>1735103
so doing what you love for 20 years is "wasting your entire life"?
>>
File: c9nu3.jpg (349 KB, 2048x1366)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
>>1735139
>>1735103
I dont get this idea that you cant have a good time on a ship. Some of us dont have family or good friends to go back to. If you have shit community onboard, you are on the wrong ship
>>
>>1735150
>>1735139
After 4-5 months at sea it starts to get to you, no matter how good a crew you have
>>
I have an interview with Curtin Maritime in Long Beach next Thursday, has anyone worked for them before and can give me a review? Also, what should I wear for the interview, I don't want to come dressed all fancy but I'm not gonna wear a shirt and jeans obviously. It's my first I've had that isn't online or over the phone so I'm a bit nervous about the dress code part for the interview
>>
I've almost finished my application for os deckhand with MSC. I have a few certs for cpr, fire fighting, and the like, can I expect to get hired in the next couple months?
>>
>>1735314
You will be hired. Might take a while but I’m with MSC right now and currently have a mentally retarded OS on my ship who is incapable of doing anything. Can’t fucking sling up a pallet after two months working here. For the fire drill he ran off without his helmet, gloves, and flash hood. And you don’t have to be physically fit either, this guy can’t lift fifty pounds and is so out of shape that he blows through all his air in fire drills LITERALLY twice as fast as anyone else, even the smokers.
You can even be a burden to the ship and still get hired. This guy is one of the people who always feels sick. So far he’s sworn he’s had Covid, which forced the ship to go gangway up for three days and made us all need to get nosefucked, only to find out this Nicaraguan sperg never had any sickness and just was tired so he faked it. Two weeks later, 8:30 in the morning on an overcast day he swears he has heat stroke and the chief mate needs to take him to urgent care. No heat stroke, not even a hot temperature, and he threw a fit when he found out the urgent care place didn’t take his insurance and that chief mate wouldn’t let him work OT that weekend. And then he gets a bit of sunburn on his arms. Wants the day off because he swears it’s a rash. We’re getting under next week for the first time and I guarantee he’ll be “seasick” in his bed the entire time.
MSC will hire dead bodies if they pass the coast guard physical.
Make sure when you go to training you pass Pistol and Shotgun so you can stand watch
>>
>>1734709
>engie, my poo won't flushy, get your wrench and make it worky!
>Deckie comfy deckie cool, makes the engie smell his stool!

Underrated post
>>
>>1735272
Jeans + long sleeve flanel, the modern suit
>>
File: ella1.jpg (307 KB, 1080x1350)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
Are ferries good for you?
>>
>>1735200
Truer words have never been spoken

>>1735272
Wear jorts

>>1735329
You an AB?
Come to NOAA I haven’t run into anyone who's nearly that bad yet. Similar pay scale to msc as well.
>>
>>1735403
AB yeah, gonna stay in MSC because they’re swearing my turd mate promotion is right around the corner. Of course they’ve been saying that for months, but at least the ports are nice
>>
File: mfw.png (328 KB, 840x859)
328 KB
328 KB PNG
>"yeah I'm a merchant marine"
>>
File: mfw2.jpg (213 KB, 920x885)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>"I serve in the merchant marines"
>>
>>1735073
You need RFPEW for offshore or deep
Sea, but you can get work on an inland or coastal tug down on the gulf coast right now as QMED/deckhand
>>
>>1735272
I got the inside scoop a few months ago from a tug captain I sailed with who’s worked for curtin off and on as both captain and shipyard manager.

They’re undergoing massive expansion recently and desperate for people. They’ve acquired a lot of tug-dredge barge contracts in SoCal.
They’re building boats and buying boats and renovating them at a very fast pace. Possibly too fast, things being pushed into service before they’re ready etc.

There’s absolutely no schedule, they just work you till you’re completely burnt out, lmao if you have a family or shoreside life.

Also they really like hiring young inexperienced people so they can train them up exactly how they want. But this is also usually a cover for “so we can exploit young guys who are desperate for industry experience and think they’re just lucky to be there and will do anything and everything we push on them”

So, lots of work to be had and you’ll probably get hired, but if you already have experience you might be able to do better elsewhere.
>>
>>1728552
And the rest of us get 6 months without you.
>>
>>1735677
So which of the three are you?
>>
>>1735650
I have rfpew too just never sailed as a qmed or with the rfpew
>>
File: ISAIAS.jpg (349 KB, 973x1297)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
Can people here post more photos from their jobs on ships?
>>
>>1735851
Ok
>>
>The concept is based on combining LNG with steam to produce hydrogen and CO2. The hydrogen produced will be used directly in a mix with natural gas in internal combustion engines or in fuel cells, thus eliminating the need for hydrogen to be stored onboard.
>The CO2 will be liquefied using the cryogenic stream of LNG that would be used as fuel anyway, and later disposed ashore for carbon storage.
>Tankers can use the stored CO2 as inert gas during discharge.
Are H2-powered vessels a future or is this another eco meme?
https://www.wartsila.com/media/news/25-11-2021-wartsila-and-rina-partner-with-other-stakeholders-to-deliver-a-viable-hydrogen-fuel-solution-to-meet-imo-2050-target-3013516
>>
>>1736029
Sounds hypercomplex and I don’t understand how it provides any advantage. Typically using one type of fuel to generate another causes a loss of energy so LNG+steam (from what energy source?) to make hydrogen that you then…supplement with LNG and then burn it…you’re losing energy compared with just burning LNG from the start.

But this is probably being sold with a focus on C02 capture, green nonsense. Wartisla just doing this for PR as huge slow speed Diesel engines get a bad rep for burning bunker oil and being dirty.
But didn’t IMO 2020 mandate the use of #2 diesel and eliminate bunker C? Or did that not actually happen after the deadline?
>>
>>1736026
What are those crank handles for? Prelubing the cylinders before starting?
>>
>>1736034
*sipppp*
Well son, that there is a REAL engine.
Yessir, EMD, ElectromocomotiveDeesel. Had them in our submarines back in WW2. Mechanical fuel injection, none of that computer nonsense. Two stroke turbo, makes 3000HP at 900 RPM.
Sissy CAT 3516 can’t do that! No sir.
You don’t even change oil on this tank, you just pour more in every other week.
Yep, only reason we don’t still run these bad boys in everything is due to the got dam liberals and their communist environment laws, saying they’re “dirty” and “non compliant” nonsense.

The red handles are cylinder blow down valves, I open them all up and crank over the engine without fuel prior to starting to make sure the engine is not hydrolocked or otherwise mechanically prevented from turning over.
There is a prelube system but it’s a separate electrical pump that I turn on after opening a valve on the front of the block, and then turn off and close the valve after it’s up and running and good pressure.
>>
I'm going to get fired on January 4th because I won't get the heart attack injection. I was getting tired of going to sea anyway, this is a bit sooner of a separation than I would have preferred though.
>>
>>1736087
It's a gay, retarded world and we're just living in it. Industry was already hurting for people as it was...
>>
>>1736087
Exactly the reason i just took the damn thing. Company i applied to asked me if i got the jab because in a couple months it will be mandatory. I dont like goverments forcing whatever big pharma shits out into people. Can't wait to sail again, though.
>>
>>1736087
Make them let you go, document everything and be polite the entire time.
I have faith that the mandates will be completely overturned in federal court in 2022. However in the mean time a lot of companies aren’t requiring it, at least in the tug world.
>>
>>1736094
The only problem is that when you submit to bullying, you end up getting bullied more, not less.
>>
>>1736090
I think it's a safe bet that my company will have to downsize, sell a boat or two maybe.
>>1736094
This is the worst of it, new guys or men looking for a different company are getting screwed right off the bat and forced to get it. Personally I figure that I've given enough to the company over the years, I'm not going to add bodily autonomy to that list.
>>1736098
I'm doing all that, only way I'll be able to sue is if some outfit does it pro bono because I can't afford years of litigation *and* live a normal life at the same time.
>>
>>1736087
My country made the 3rd dose mandatory, and it's looking to make you have to take them every 6 months
Fuck everything
>>
>>1736087
Good, means you really dont need that work.
>>
Post your galley thanksgiving.
>>
>>1736137
lmao looks like how mine usually are. We forgot to buy Thanksgiving food this year so we just grilled some chicken
>>
>>1736112
The risk with this shit is that you can get fucked by not having it in time. Being on a ship for long periods dont exactly help. I dont want to be stranded somewhere if i didnt have my 7th booster because the new ebola-aids-delta mutant just came out
>>
>>1736137
Mine was better than that at least, no pie though. I didn't take a picture this year because it wasn't impressive like last year's.
>>
Just started working as a surveyor after 6 years at sea. Take the land job pill, guys, this shit is cash. 32h/week, most of it is looking around at empty ships and shooting the shit with dockworkers and Ukrainian deckies.
>>
>>1736636
What qualifications did you need for this survey job?
>>
>>1736137
Lmao do you work on a pleasure craft?
>>
Looking through old pictures on my phone, reminiscing about all the times I've been seasick and on which boats I puked on.
>>
>>1736855
Do you take a picture each time?
>>
>>1736942
Only for the impressive ones.
>>
>>1736815
I recently switched from Alaska/North Pacific Ocean towing to gulf coast ship assist. That picture is the galley of my current boat, a 50 year old single screw tub.
>>
File: 20211022_122306.jpg (2.72 MB, 4032x3024)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
>>1735200
>After 4-5 months at sea it starts to get to you

I've been rethinking everything since I got home 2 weeks ago from a 6 months for my second half of cadetship, I really love this job but it got tiring towards the end and the only thing I looked forward to was my girlfriend who in the last few days says she can't deal with me being absent for such long periods and that we don't have anymore time. Now that I'm back she has to move for her own work. So that's pretty much over, next week is probably the last time we'll be spending together and I am just stuck here cursing myself for ever getting into this while at the same time wanting to go back because there is nothing left for me back home. I think I am lost.
>>
>>1727090
this is a dumb question which is why I won't make a thread about it but whats stopping people from living on a cargo ship outside of the people that already live there?
>>
>>1737047
stop letting a woman control your life it’s pathetic
cadetship may be long but mate contracts are generally month on/month off
>>
>>1736087
I never understood why 30 guys floating in a tin can in the middle of ocean needs everyone aboard to be vaccinated, you'll think they''ll be at the least amount of risk of getting it. Especially as others pointed out that the whole shipping industry is fucked in general, and this is adding gasoline to the fire. But it is kinda sad to see human rights die and the Unions aren't doing shit because a few boomers died of virus.
>>
>>1737112
>What are port authorities
>What are surveyors
>What are agents
>What are shore leaves.
>What are crew changes
>What are transfer flight

>>1737112
>>1736087
Stop posting in a marine general thread and go back to your schizo containment board please.
I'm glad they fired you. You are clearly a danger to your fellow cremembers because you are clearly a cretin.
>>
>>1737116
How about you go back to your favourite subreddit?
>>
>>1737116
I'm the one who posted that and I'm actually offshore right now. Are you upset that I'm offshore right now, unvacsedated?
>>
File: ppy.jpg (61 KB, 720x869)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>1737116
Hey bro, why don't you swing by my stateroom after your watch
>>
If you were transported back in time to before you started sailing would you pick this career again?
>>
>>1737446
Depends on how far back in time. I started in my later 20s after realizing that my skill set was not going to be valuable outside of these types of jobs; harsh conditions far from civilization and gone for long periods of time. So unless I could completely start over again from high school, I still made the best career move available.
And if I had known about maritime academy when I was in high school I would’ve/should’ve gone and graduated and sailed deep sea.

Really this has been a great career and industry for me. Got a license after 4 years of sailing, 6 figure income, and lots of job opportunities. Only downside is being gone from my family but now I’m week on week off doing ship assist with an SIU company, so I’m really not gone at all compared with my previous job and many others.

No regrets.
>>
>>1735851
Mud tk21? Wtf the biggest osv ive been on had 8 of them. Cleaning and stripping automated. I never got this even on tankers. Pretty noice
>>
>>1737446
I wish I'd started down this path right away, gone offshore at 22 rather than at 27. Would have had more time to build up savings AND would have seen so many more places, now being at sea just sucks because I can barely get off the boat when we hit the dock and forget about leaving the dockyard at all.
>>
File: tin-foil-hat.png (686 KB, 950x511)
686 KB
686 KB PNG
>>1737204
>>1737200
>>1737119
picrel

>>1737446
It got me a cozy officejob right now, so I kynd off steered it in the right direction, but boy those years were hard at sea. I think I would pick a better engineering degree if I had a chance to go back. Like automation and stuff like that.
>>
>>1735653
At the moment this is really the closest place to me that is within the maritime industry for work, so I'm just going to have to deal with it. I'm looking into just saving up from this job and moving away from LA, maybe to NC or VA and getting a maritime job there, but thanks for the info
>>
File: rigveda.jpg (46 KB, 680x454)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>
File: Moana-Chief-01.jpg (1.83 MB, 1920x900)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
>New Zealand
>Isolated maritime nation
>Reliant on sea routes
>One (1) NZ-flagged container ship
Name a country with a more embarrassing fleet. I'll wait.
>>
>>1738489
You will rely on chinese shipping companies and you will be happy.
>>
>>1738489
Your country isn’t really its own entity and never has been.
>>
Why are captains always either gigaboomers or late 30s basedboys?
>>
>>1736137
Glooming. Yaay.
>>
>>1738553
Because in the USA maritime got closed off for about 25 years to any new entry, as the industry contracted consistently and so every available position was snatched up by boomers who absolutely refuse to retire untill theyre 70+ despite being in the top 10% of income earners for the last several decades.
This meant an entire generation was unable to enter maritime, and it was only in the last decade or so that hiring opened up again in any real amount. As the boomer captains retired en masse the CMA classes of 2005-2015 have moved into their positions, at least on the west coast. Ive sailed with quite a few academy grad captains who are younger than me, (im in my 30s) who got promoted to master after 5 years at most.
>>
>>1733056
Almost all people at my uni say they're in it for money, but I'm just curious what's it like to live and work at sea, far from civilization.
I guess I'm between the first two.
>>
>>1738853
fr no cap ong there is adventure and excitement to be had in the merchant marine, and you can have that while making amazing money, but you cant have both adventure, excitement, money, AND chill cool easy lifestyle and job duties.
Pick two: chill cool easy lifestyle and job duties, money, or adventure and excitement

all three preclude normal shoreside relationships and include divorce and estranged children.
>>
>>1738990
Why is money an exclusive option? I thought sailors have good wages.
>>
What were the largest sea's you've sailed? Have you crossed the atlantic or pacific?
>>
>>1739695
I’ve done Miami over to just off the African coast then back to Miami, and in the pacific basically just sailed from Dutch harbor 1200 miles out to a point, and then turned around and went back

So I’ve been across oceans but never to any foreign country yet hahah

At the end of this month though I’m crewchanging to a ship that’ll be out of the country so that’ll be cool
>>
hey guys, im the same anon that applied to curtin maritime. Thursday I had my interview. Basically they had a bunch of appicants come to the shipyard, and interviewed us one by one. they were fast though, my interview was only 5 minutes and it was basically my experience, what i applied for at the yard, "how do you do under stress? are you ok with long hours? being out to sea in a matter of hours? etc". They hired me on the spot but didn't say when they will contact me to start work, just "you'll hear from us soon".
They were really pushing into the fact that working on ships is hard work which i understand, but it felt almost as if they didnt want any of us to be hired. They're starting us at 15/hr while going through the company "training academy" which has 3 phases. Supposedly we get pay raises after each phase but they didn't specify how much. That's really all i got from the interview, but they are desperate for new employees, most of the applicants I spoke to have had prior experience in their job, just not doing these jobs on ships.
>>
Who else here is onboard for xmas :(

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.