[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Stuck.jpg (2.22 MB, 4032x3024)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB JPG
The information display on my bus is stuck at login.
Why would they use Win10 instead of 95-2000 which have been proven effective in embedded applications for more than two decades.
Metro trains in my city use linux.

>t. /g/ told me off so I'm here
>>
probably because it came pre-installed with whatever piece of shit IoT devices they bought
>>
>>1721314
because it's not critical transport infrastructure, it's just a display that shows stops and ads. if it fails, then nobody's lives are endangered, and thus they use the easiest technology to manage
>>
File: 1631269531682.png (113 KB, 329x374)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>1721314
>t. /g/ told me off so I'm here
/n/ is full of losers hiding from the big meanies on other boards, except most of the time it's /o/.
>>
>>1721314
God, I seriously hate how w10 fails to load the vm layer on startup sometimes (especially after major updates), breaking the startup from autorunning unless it's a service. It's fucking stupid
>>
>>1721323
/thread
>>
because windows 95-2000 will be dead in a few years and no modern application will be developed in 95-2000
>>
>>1721323
yeah but if they used some insane jenga tower of a quarter-century-old operating system and a bespoke media delivery platform instead, it would soothe op's brainworms and stop them writhing and thrashing when they see windows 10 somewhere. so, who's really to know which is the better option.
>>
>>1721478
>dead
programs don't stop working when they stop getting updates
>modern application
you don't need that to display ads and stops
>>
>>1721526
people have told you some reasons why the transit company would use windows 10. all you seem to be doing is saying 'nuh-uh that's wrong' without saying specifically why, and instead reciting truisms like 'programs dont stop working when they stop receiving updates' instead. if you disagree with the reasons people have given you, then why don't you explain to us all why you disagree with those reasons.
>>
File: TravelInfo.jpg (1.93 MB, 3024x4032)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>1721314
>>
>>1721528
this is profound lol
>>
>>1721323
But why pay a licence fee for windows when they can just have the exact same thing on linux like many other transport companies do?
>>
>>1721314
>ae
>>
File: Germany_hack.jpg (167 KB, 1064x664)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>1721529

or a hacked one... lol
>>
>>1721314
shoulda been gentoo.
last time I saw an error on the metro system in my city, it was ubuntu. not sure what if that's still the case,
>>
>>1721527
I'm not the OP, just someone who has been in charge of enbedded systems before and chose windows xp precisely not to deal with this kind of win10 bullshit
>>
>>1721314
better than whatever pozzed shit that normally displayed
>>
>>1721530
Because it's cheaper to pay a license fee for Windows than to have someone who knows their way around Linux on staff?
>>
>>1721574
Why the fuck would you choose windows at all for that kind of application?
>>
>>1721690
yeah I could have used some linux distro but the old computers I used for it already had XP installed, it just werkz
>>
>>1721574
>this kind of win10 bullshit
what kind of 'win10 bullshit', specifically
>>
>>1721343
>hiding from the big meanies on other boards
They're doing a shit job at that if /pol/niggers easily come here and denigrate public transport by posting pictures of brown/black people on a subway
>>
it just werks
>>
>>1721314
>>t. /g/ told me off so I'm here
Oh fucking thank god, then next stop is
HACF, Halt and catch FIRE.
>>
>>1721528
Literally shit-bin. Truth in Advertising.
>>
>>1721534
Oh yea, Im thinkingHDH0D of walking
>>
>>1721907
forced updates, forced defender, installing/uninstalling programs behind your back
>>
>>1721526
Yes but the paid support that the company gets usually stops
>>
>>1721526
>programs don't stop working when they stop getting updates
Biggest problem is they stop getting security updates so your system get more and more vulnerable to attacks as people find new attack vectors that don't get fixed.
>>
File: ellen.jpg (5 KB, 259x194)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>1721701
>windows
>it just werkz
Kind of ironic.
>>
>>1722335
theoretically true but when was the last time you heard of this happening? most of these embedded systems aren't connected to the internet, and if they are, you would expect the admin to adopt basic security measurements like closing ports and a proper firewall configuration
thousands of ATMs still run on windows XP, same as plenty of military devices
>>
>>1722338
'my computer isn't blaring out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIos0ya-yss VIRUS DETECTED VIRUS DETECTED VIRUS DETECTED VIRUS DETECTED VIRUS DETECTED VIRUS DETECTED so im pretty sure its safe'
>>
>>1722200
Just use windows 10 ltsc lmao.
>>
>>1722344
I didn't mean literally hear a virus noise you silly goose
>>
>>1721314
>The information display on my bus is stuck at login
The information display on your bus is not critical transport infrastructure.
>>
>>1721343
I don't come here very often but it seems like a nice board
>>
File: opc3eUu[1].jpg (87 KB, 1920x1080)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
Agreed OP, more people need to embrace the serious, patrician choice for mission critical systems.
>>
>>1724607
it is, that's just our grumpy /o/ resident
>>
>>1721323
Windows is not easiest to manage at all, we had some displays at airport hotel bus stops running on windows 10 and they fucking broke all the time, a few years ago we ported the application to ubuntu and they literally never stopped working and ran for like 2 years straight.

These things are almost certainly managed remotely so the use of deprecated, vulnerable OSs would be frowned upon. Like another anon said, there's really no argument for using windows at all, you will be able to manage Linux much better.

>>1722338
Planning a project like this and suggesting that you use windows 95 because "lol when was the last time you heard of a security breach actually happening" should be grounds for immediate dismissal
>>
>>1727259
> eunichs
> mission critical
megacringe
Really critical things don't even have operating systems and avoid C at any cost.
>>
>>1730361
post some examples :^)
>>
>>1730361
>Really critical things don't even have operating systems and avoid C at any cost.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingenuity_(helicopter)
All air transportation on Mars uses Linux.
>>
>>1721314
big corp licensing deals, etc etc
so basically taxpayer money put into stupid shit like this.>>1721528
>>
File: MVIMG_20190716_171812.jpg (1.65 MB, 4032x3024)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>1730356
>These things are almost certainly managed remotely so the use of deprecated, vulnerable OSs would be frowned upon
there is "what you should do" and then there is "what you have the resources to do"
case in point: back when i lived in hamilton nj, the train station ran a really old linux install for the arrival/departure board because it worked
eventually it started bootlooping (which is when i took the pic). i reported it to njt, and the next week, the computer was removed (note that audio announcements were unaffected, just the departure board inside)
by the time i moved out (a couple months later), they still hadnt found a replacement (or they did but forgot to turn on the screen)
why do you see old OSs in use? because there isnt enough reason to upgrade them, and the funding can be better spent elsewhere
fun fact: mta turnstiles use os/2
>>
A couple years ago I was on a flight and the inflight entertainment screens rebooted when we landed. They were running RHEL5. I had a chuckle.
>>
>>1721526
i don't believe that you can get those ancient systems legally anymore for this kind of use. they should just use linux, it wiill just work until the hardware breaks
>>
>>1722335
it does not matter in this case if the system is configured properly. it should only be contacting a trusted server and not be accepting incoming connections from anything else. depending on location it might not need internet access at all but if it needs there are many ways to keep unwanted connections away
>>
>>1721534

Oh, yeah Chemnitz Main Station, my nigger.
>>
>>1721528
That will be the only time that display will show other colors than white or orange.

Let's face it: You spend millions of cash to buy displays that only show you some lines of text.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.