[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 36 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Commuter.png (2.49 MB, 1284x1140)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB PNG
Over half of all bikes sold in the Netherlands last year were e bikes.

>Being able to arrive by bicycle to work without needing to take a shower is often cited as one of the main reasons commuters have switched to an e-bike after passing on adopting pedal bicycle commutes.

>Electric bike motors will be shut down when entering residential or built-up areas of Amsterdam, under a government-funded project to cut road deaths from the increasingly powerful vehicles

Since the pioneers of cycling infrastructure in general are switching to E, what does e bike specific infrastructure look like? What does an e bike future look like?
>>
>Electric bike motors will be shut down when entering residential or built-up areas of Amsterdam
lmao imagine being such a bunch of prissies you don't even allow 250W motor assist everywhere.
>>
>>1719589
Planet is gonna die under the weight of all the ewaste. Ban ebikes for anyone who isn't disabled and no fat doesn't count as a disability.
>>
>>1719589
>ban cars
>ban motorcycles
>ban ebikes
Whats next? Deralieurs ban? Mandatory 30kg ballast? Goverment controlled automatic brakes? Third wheel for extra "safety"?
Fucking cuckold nation.
God bless i live in a car centric third world shithole and no one give a fuck about me ridin' EUC 60+kph on city streets and 30+ on sidewalks.
>>
>>1719611
>Planet is gonna die under the weight of all the ewaste
Why should i give a fuck? Where is my Rollin' coal and lithium sticker?
>>
File: 1632393291374.jpg (18 KB, 258x544)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>1719589
>Being able to arrive by bicycle to work without needing to take a shower is often cited as one of the main reasons commuters have switched to an e-bike after passing on adopting pedal bicycle commutes.

Translation: They're so indoctrinated with anti-car propaganda that it wasn't until a government-approved motorized transportation option became available that they even considered the idea that people should be able to travel somewhere without arriving drenched in sweat.
>>
File: 0ab.gif (229 KB, 379x387)
229 KB
229 KB GIF
I don't get this meme. The netherlands are flat as shit, It's not super hilly where I live but it's probably more than they have and I arrive to work fine. How fat do you have to be to say sweat is stopping you from riding?
>>
File: 1603240252341.png (92 KB, 854x250)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
>>1719678
>everyone who disagrees with me is fat
t.
>>
>>1719611
just throw the used batteries in the ocean
>>
File: FJIMG_20211005_190350.jpg (1.04 MB, 4032x3024)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>1719679
full resolution ass for u
>>
E Bikes are for people who are too weak to ride a bicycle and too scared to ride a motorcycle. It's pathetic, really.
>>
>>1719699 More likely
>E Bikes are for people who are too bored to ride a bicycle and dont have balls big enough to ride an unregistered motorcycle with no license.
>>
>>1719690
London london lobdon please live in london
>>
>>1719690
i keep seeing calfs i literally cant see an ass
socks, to calfs then behind the knee
>>
>>1719611
They said the same thing about old cars and yet, here we are.

E-waste can be recyced too. Humans just have to pull their collective heads out of their arses and do it.
>>
>>1719746
calves*
>>
>>1719747
>and yet, here we are.
In a mega-extinction event with rising global temperatures and dangerous increases in atmosphere opacity?
>>
Ebikes are an absolute cancer to cycling and transport in general. The cycling industry and bike shops are meming people into thinking that they will start sweating buckets the instant they touch a normal bike.
I live in Copenhagen, which as far as I know is a bit smaller than Amsterdam but just as flat, and there are more and more people on ebikes every day. And these are young healthy people who would otherwise be riding a normal bike.
Adverts from bike shops tell you that ebikes are the best way to travel without sweating or getting out of breath. This kind of marketing makes people think that cycling a normal distance is impossible, and it's simply not true, but people are lazy so choose to forget that they've always been riding around town without sweating on a normal bike.
My rule of thumb is averaging 25 km/h for 10 km will get me nowhere near out of breath or sweaty upon arrival, even when wearing jeans and a shirt in the summer. In Copenhagen, that means getting from one side of the city to the other in less than half an hour without issue. An ebike offers no benefit.
OP is right when he says ebikes are the future. It's a shit future where people forget their ability to move their own bodies.
>>
>>1719678
>How fat do you have to be to say sweat is stopping you from riding?
Ask your colleagues.
>>
File: 0315-earnings.png (124 KB, 1501x1500)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
>>1719755
>everyone is military age white male
That demographics is 5-10% at best. There is no reason to pander to it, quite opposite its scientifically proven that such demographics is most toxic , problematic and privileged part of society, we need to do everything to bring their privilege down. Ebike is one of such ways, striking down fitness privilege and promoting cycling equaliy and diversity.
>>
>>1719755
>they will start sweating buckets the instant they touch a normal bike
This is me.
>>
>>1719759
can I see those scientific proofs
>>
>>1719755
While I agree with you, 25km/h for 10km is a stretch for your average person riding the average bike. Like the other anon pointed out, only a fraction of the population are young, healthy, and somewhat active. Even less have decent, light bikes. The market is pandering towards the everyperson who is someone approaching 40, has ceased the majority of the physical activity they might once have done, and has a slight temptation to try out bike commuting like they used to when they were a student.
>>
>>1719786
>25km/h for 10km is a stretch for your average person riding the average bike.
Average Netherlands bike trip is 5 km.
Average Netherlands commuting range is 20 km.
Just to put things into perspective.
>>
>>1719786
>25km/h for 10km is a stretch for your average person riding the average bike
No it's not.
>The market is pandering towards the everyperson who is someone approaching 40
Most of the people I see on ebikes are less than 30 and are clearly healthy.
>>
>>1719814
>No it's not.
Considering average bike trip is 5 kms you are clearly on the wrong side of statistics.
>>
>>1719833
A single contextless data point that the average bicycle trip in Holland is 5 km does nothing to dispute the fact that 10 km at 25 km/h is not difficult.
By your logic and data, it is therefore fully correct to conclude that 40 km is a stretch for an average person driving an average car.
Why are you so upset by the fact that cycling 25 km/h is not difficult in a flat city? Focus this rage into learning how statistics work.
>>
>>1719589
It'll look like the third world except without the smog.
>>
>>1719619
Why would anyone ban derailleurs? Ebikes require a bunch of lithium which is pretty nasty stuff to mine and get rid of.
>>
>>1719755
>is averaging 25 km/h for 10 km will get me nowhere near out of breath or sweaty
Are you riding a grannybike like they are?
>>
>>Being able to arrive by bicycle to work without needing to take a shower is often cited as one of the main reasons

This wouldn’t be a problem if dutchies weren’t so autistic about any bike tech created after 1945.
>>
>>1719755
>>1719786
>>1719791
>>1719814
>>1719833

regardless of your anecdotes, ebikes are outselling analog in the netherlands because people prefer them, simple as.
>>
>>1719909
And why do they prefer them anon?
>>
>>1719912
seems like not getting sweaty is a part of it, thats what people said when they asked. I imagine it's also cargo capacity, ability to carry kids on them, able to cover longer distances faster, as well as making multiple trips in one day while gettting less fatigued. also plain laziness factors in too.
>>
>>1719589
>Omg I need to comooooooooooooooooooot
kys if you're not riding for fun only
>>
>>1719906
Batavophiles:
>you don't need a bike that weighs less than 45 pounds or apparel that dries easily and doesn't stink, this is NOT a race, stop being so elitist! just wear normal (sic) comfortable (sic) clothes like woolen trousers and news boy hats!
Also batavophiles:
>ugh riding a bike where there's a slight hill is impossible without a motor, why are you so elitist, you'll be all sweaty and this isn't just for athletes, ebikes are cyclists too!
>>
>>1719842
>A single contextless data point that the average bicycle trip in Holland is 5 km does nothing to dispute the fact that 10 km at 25 km/h is not difficult.
But it is.
Because faster better options exists within same county. And people start switching to these options, like cars, instead of pedaling 20 kms. Statistics of 5 kms shows that this is point where cycling for average normie becomes difficult.
>>
I don't mind getting sweaty when I commute, as long as I have access to a storage locker and shower at my place of work. Right now I do so life is good.
>>
>>1719619
Nah, I would rather have America have livable communities. Car Centric America has enabled whites to keep quiet about what has been happening to the country.
>>
File: geennederlandspaspoort.png (283 KB, 551x409)
283 KB
283 KB PNG
I wish I lived in the basederlands
>>
File: huh.png (688 KB, 819x791)
688 KB
688 KB PNG
>>1719674
Funny you say that...
>>
Y'all are a bunch of spergs. Ebikes go faster and help with headwind (which is a big factor in NL). If you don't want an ebike, don't buy one.
>>
>>1719950
no shhh we have to get unnormally angry at things and im sure it has nothing to do with how slow the board is so most people are just bored and want to shake a cane at something. I'ts literally just insecure roadies who don't want people going faster than them since they spent so much on their ebin carbone bikes, there's literally no other explanation.
>>
>>1719950
>wind only exists in the netherlands
You can just say "I don't ride and all of my opinions are just regurgitated crap I read from dutch fetish blogs"
>>
>>1719957
Why are you so obsessed and bitter with how other people bike?

Rhetorical question.
>>
>>1719957
I ride daily. I don't have an ebike, because I'm well capable to deal with the wind. My 80yo granny is a different story, she has an ebike. Other elderly folk don't. I'm sure other countries have a lot of wind too, so they can get an ebike too. Or not. Who cares. Dumb thread.
>>
>>1719950
>headwind
What are gears?
>>
>>1719982
The last time I checked switching gears didn't allow you to maintain the same speed in headwinds, it only made going slower in headwinds more bearable.
>>
>>1719984
You should focus on steady power output and cadence, not speed. If you want to bring up speed why ignore the 25kph limit? My base cruising speed is around 30. I might drop a gear in headwind but I'm still going at ebiker speeds.
>>
>>1719589
>completely flat country
>cheap bikes available everywhere
>dedicated bike lanes everywhere so you can go as slow as you want
>everyone rides at like 8mph
why the fuck would anyone in the netherlands buy an ebike
>>
>>1719985
But you're probably also dressed up in a skin suit and hunched over like a banana. Most e-bike riders ride upright euro commuter bikes or upright euro touring bikes.
>>
>>1719987
Because some people are weaker than others and/or some bikes are heavier than others.

Why the fuck do you assume you can judge everyone's wants and needs in such a generalized manner?
>>
I feel sorry for you europoors. Here in the US you can have 750w motors legally and cops don't even give a fuck if you have an 8kw motor with a 72v battery on a moto frame. As long as you're not bombing down sidewalks and popping wheelies at 50mph you will never be bothered.
>>
>>1719997
That's because no one fucking rides bicycles in the US. Popularity inevitably leads to regulation.
>>
>>1719997
>Here in the US
nobody asked, nobody cares
>>
>>1720002
nobody asked or cared at your birth faggot
>>
>>1720035
You really got me there pal. Good joke that makes sense bro. Nice job dude.
>>
>>1719997
Who gives a fuck about the Mutt states?
>>
>>1719747
Cars are actually killing everyone and making society awful.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.