[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 33 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: rdh7zsqvz5q01.jpg (374 KB, 1479x964)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
>Cyclists bad
>>
>>1719159
Looks perfectly bikeable to me. Could even do it on a fixie probably.
>>
>let's make everyone's lives miserable so aerial photographs of our town look nicer
>>
>>1719185 was brainwashed by tbe automobile industry. Sad!
>>
>>1719185
You say this as if cagies actually enjoy their commute to work in gridlock traffic in their metal coffin powered by Saudi farts
>>
File: 1632569109649.jpg (497 KB, 1691x1128)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
>>1719210
Pictured: "Enjoyment"
>>
>>1719212
That's actually fun as fuck though
>>1719185
I lived in Houston while going to school, i can assure you that it is hell on earth
>>
>>1719212
Yeah, biking in the snow is fun loser. The only conditions that kind of suck are deep slush but unless you live in Anchorage you only have that maybe a week out of every year.
Just don't be a moron and make sure you wear the right clothing. I've biked to the grocery store at -40° and it was perfectly comfortable.
>>
>>1719220
>DRIVING NAILS INTO MY EYEBALL IS FUN, LOSER!
*laughs at you then cranks up the cabin heater*
>>
>>1719221
I'm sorry you are so fragile
>>
>>1719221
i really feel sorry for people like this, it's like theyve never really been outside or know anything but house -> car -> work -> car ->house but if you live in america or something I can see how you would fall into that loop.
>>
>>1719212
>>
Jesus Christ that looks like a shithole. Imagine bulldozing all your culture and covering it with asphalt.
>>
>>1719227
>>>/o/24717853
That wasn't worth posting once, let alone twice.
>>
>>1719239
If it wasn't worth posting then you would have easily formed a counter argument against it
>>
>>1719241
Seems like the /o/ thread handled that just fine.
>>
>>1719242
well it doesn't matter since you had to have someone else form a counter argument for you

those also arent counterarguments
>>
>>1719244
Someone else already did it so there's no need for me to bother.

>those also arent counterarguments
They're counterarguments to "car owners never leave the house", which seems to be your spectacularly retarded claim.
>>
>>1719246
Car owners leave the house to go to work
>>
File: 1978vs2011.jpg (187 KB, 1252x450)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>1719159
It's gotten a lot better since the 70s, even the photo on the right is outdated by about ten years. I live in Houston so I'll admit it has a long way to go, but it's been steadily improving since that nightmare of a photo was taken.
>>
>>1719256
>office buildings full of banks and oil companies
>sportsball stadiums
>hotels
>huge convention center
>a sterile, unnatural park dropped right in the center of it all where the bank executives can eat lunch
So this is the commie paradise, huh?
>>
>>1719248
They need to pay off the loan on their brand new fartmobile somehow
>>
>>1719268
>fartmobile
I can see why you idiots have largely learned to stay on your hugboard.
>>
File: 1618854718887.jpg (26 KB, 596x402)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>1719266
>office buildings full of banks and oil companies
Would you rather them be in the suburbs?
>sportsball stadiums
Yes, people need things to do in the downtown of the fourth largest city in America
>hotels
Kek, wut?
>huge convention center
Again, it's a draw to the city's downtown, and it was placed neatly against an interstate rather than in the middle of downtown.
>a sterile, unnatural park dropped right in the center of it all where the bank executives can eat lunch
This is ridiculous. Downtown professionals utilizing a greenspace accessible by foot? Horror.
So this is the commie paradise, huh?
Retard.
>>
>>1719268
LoL cagers and their sense of entitlement.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.41 MB, 1252x450)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB PNG
>>1719276
>>hotels
>Kek, wut?
Pic

There's also at least 3 parking garages in that picture, so all they really did was condense the parking to make room for the banks and oil companies.
>>
>>1719283
I don't see the point you're trying to make. There used to be nothing in downtown but empty lots, now those lots are being filled.
>>
File: cleanriver.jpg (1.53 MB, 2592x1944)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
>look up aerial photo of my city
>tons of greenery surronded by some buildings and a massive river
Americans will never know the feel
>>
>>1719159
>>1719288
How do hotels and office buildings help cyclists?
>>
File: rawImage.png (349 KB, 481x457)
349 KB
349 KB PNG
>>1719233
>>1719256
Most of that part of downtown was removed for a giant development that never ended up happening. It was supposed to be a futuristic development with monorails and interconnected buildings, but all over a functional street level. It was never built (only a few regular office towers remain today) but if the new development was coming there was no reason to invest in the area if it was going to come down. Of course, /n/ only sees one aerial photo and thinks "Cars...BAD!" without any other consideration
>>
File: houston-center.jpg (84 KB, 920x558)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
...either way, people move around a lot, the mostly abandoned downtowns of the 1970s have functionally replaced by the mostly abandoned sprawling commercial strips in older suburbs. Unless you were an unironic "give up your yard and live in the pod" type person, that's just human nature (and even then, those types never seem to be against mass immigration to Western Europe/America, which is moving around on a greater scale). Pictured is another rendering of the development.
>>
>>1719239
lol someone copied my post? weird
>>
>>1719346
anon... im sorry to tell you this but, it says here you have something called "early on-set dementia"
>>
Boggles the mind that Houston still thinks they need more freeways
They have some of the worst traffic in the country.
>>
>>1719212
>t. non-biker
>>
>>1719276
>Would you rather them be in the suburbs?
businesses should unironically be spread out across a city rather than shoved all downtown
>Yes, people need things to do in the downtown of the fourth largest city in America
is that used for anything other than football? otherwise it's only used ~8 times a season.
>Again, it's a draw to the city's downtown, and it was placed neatly against an interstate rather than in the middle of downtown.
this is the only one I'll give you. convention centers are fine to have downtown
>>
>>1719301
that looks just as bad as american suburbia desu senpai
also, why no bridges
>>
>>1719403
There's a heap of bridges, photo isn't wide enough
>>
>>1719212
That actually is fun if you have the equipment for it. Bare bars, rim brakes, and 23c tires are not "the equipment for it". Neither is the dutch cancer before you get any stupid ideas
>>
>>1719212
Those are the days you think back to.
>>
File: gFyF5Nr.jpg (221 KB, 1415x780)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
>>1719185
Street level photographs in car dependent hellholes looks like shit, too.
>>
>>1719221
>literally mutilating yourself is even remotely analogous to being outside in winter

Why don’t you just move to Florida or Arizona like every other dickhead if it’s clearly so intolerable?
>>
>>1719256
Completely car based city.
>How do we get more bikes in the city?
>Hey lets remove parking lots so people don't drive car
>Great idea we do that.
ten years later
>why is our inner city dying. Amazon needs to be taxed more
every city board ever.

In the 70s you were able to drive with the car and park right in front of you're workplace.
now its impossible to find a free parking lot, while its still miserable to ride with a bike there

at least that's how it works in Germany, but they also made parking tickets really expensive and now the latest trend is to make some ridicules low speed limit and put speed cameras everywhere, this year they doubled fees for driving to fast.
now they complain about amazon because inner city's are dying. problem is no one can afford to pay rent there, S-Bahn is agonizing slow and full of smelly hobos. no one is going to drive half an hour with bike to buy something.

>>
>>1719502
>In the 70s you were able to drive with the car and park right in front of you're workplace
Horse shit, traffic was even worse in the 70s and the car friendly city is an impossible fucking myth.
>>
>>1719212
I certainly unironically enjoy riding in that kind of weather. Is comfy.
>>
>>1719351
i dont think iv ever been to /o/, i cant imagine going somewhere i dont like then complaining i dont like it there
>>
>>1719266
that city center is hardly exemplary but it's an improvement from square miles upon square miles of nothing but parking lots
>>
>>1719221
let me guess
>drive suv
>get stuck in the snow
>highway tires
>no diff lock
>>
>>1719553
>i dont think
that's the thing
>>
File: 1627224017390.png (5 KB, 533x567)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>>1719553
>>i dont think
>that's the thing
>>
>>1719395
clearly haven't built enough freeways yet
>>
>>1719301
Australian cities aren't much better than American for the same reason - the vast majority of their development has been during the age of the automobile. I don't think they're as ugly, and there're certainly less carparks, but you suffer from the same kind of suburban sprawl and car-centric infrastructure as the poor bastards over in the US. Any New World city is inherently trash, unfortunately.
>>
>>1719502
Wo wohnst du? I can't imagine any German city where you need 30 mins by bike to get to the shops. Christ, you can get all the way across Berlin's Ring in 30 minutes by bike.
>>
>>1719185
>trees make me miserable
>>
File: 1632521294822.jpg (560 KB, 1000x1344)
560 KB
560 KB JPG
>>1719233
basically, and it hasn't made the public have a more enjoyable life.
>>
The thing about car infrastructure is there’s just never enough of it, so it’s not logical to keep building more.
>>
>>1719502
Lol that’s the most bullshit take ever.
American urban centers started dying when we built things for cars instead of people.
Building bike lanes and transit is good for property values and local business.
>>
>>1719410
>equipment for it
And what would that be?
>>
>>1719978
>"bullshit take"
>goes into the same nonsense "people vs. cars" rhetoric that's not even true as people have been trying to flee the inner city for years, with money being the primary obstacle
>>
>>1720055
>with money being the primary obstacle
and shitty car centric urban planning being the primary motivator
>>
>>1720056
Well, the first sort of thing was country manors out in Europe, and in America, the "first ring suburbs" (usually a few miles out from downtown) were all accessed by streetcar...though today they're considered inner city. The private automobile allowed the middle class to leave the cities for the first time. The problem with >>1719502's take is why downtowns have struggled in the last 20 years, not over the last 80.
>>
>>1720059
in cities with good urban planning (NYC, SF, many cities in Europe) the central districts are the most expensive and desirable ones
cities like Houston and Phoenix are the exact opposite
>>
>>1720060
>Europe has good city planning
I never understand this meme. Most of the European cities were cobbled together from fast, unplanned development--Rome doesn't have many right angles because it was hastily rebuilt following the 390 BC sacking by the Gauls, all while Rome was constantly fighting wars all the time. San Francisco was also hastily rebuilt after the earthquake, leading to some incongruencies like how some blocks align to Market Street and some are north-south as planned in a mid-1840s surveyors map. Houston and Phoenix all had a rough north-south grid that is followed out, though like San Francisco, has no consistent grid, only grids relatively to major roads. And if we're talking about zoning being good or bad, Europe, New York and Houston were designed without it, and suburbs are heavily zoned. (I read somewhere about a third of Manhattan couldn't be built today because most of it violates some sort of modern zoning code).

tl;dr What you think is "good urban planning" is just "has a big rail network I like"
>>
>>1720069
grids are not inherently good, excessive planning has more often than not been counterproductive - the mess that European cities are is much more pleasant on the ground than the strict grids of America and promotes walkability because there was no alternative to walking when those cities were built up
>>
>>1720069
Well yeah I mean these people are basically advocating for that, they want no rules, no zoning, no building code, basically to just let the free market design cities how it wants, just like when those cities were built.
>>
>>1719202
>was brainwashed by internet city planners and online bicycle incels
>>
>>1719214
>That's actually fun as fuck though

which is why no one who has the money to buy a car does it
>>
>>1719978
see>>1720055

It has nothing to do with your homosexuality scooter, it has to do with the fact that living in the inner city basically dooms you to be a wagecuck, eat bad food, drink bad water or pay extortive prices for clean bottled water that is impossible to carry home because you don't have a car, and eat primarily takeout, you can never bring home enough to feed a family for more than a day, without a car, and with a car you are further extorted to store it.

I mean it with no judgement, but inner cities are for gays who will never have children.
>>
File: 76e.jpg (155 KB, 1000x1000)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>1720538
>Roads were ALWAYS built for cars
>>
>>1720550
>your homosexuality scooter

"Hi, I'm calling about the extended warranty on your homosexuality scooter. Do you have a moment?"
>>
>>1720560
Usually it's your pic related that's the "Cars stole roads from us" type. Except for quickly industrializing areas like Hong Kong where infrastructure was built up before actual wealth was, there weren't bicycles, and horses or horse-drawn vehicles were the norm for centuries. Modern pavement/concrete/asphalt was definitely created for cars, though.
>>
>>1720877
What are you even trying to say?
>>
>>1720889
Seems to be a misuse of the soijak as "Person I Disagree With" and not even a really common argument at that
>>
>>1720540
I have a car, motorcycle, have direct bus line to my work and it's walking distance a way. Still do it. Best mode. Car and bus share the most miserable last place.
>>
>>1720877
>Modern pavement, asphalt, concrete was definitely created for cars
All of those surfacing materials/techniques predate automobiles by some time
>>
>>1719301
sure bud
>>
>>1719212
This is good as long as you have waterproof socks, jacket, gloves and shoe covers. Feels like an adventure to get somewhere.
>>
>>1721165
I always find it makes me feel a lot better about myself too.
Like, damn all these people need a big ass car and heater and to be constantly paying out the ass just to drive 5 km down the road in a modicum of comfort instead of just taking the extra time to walk or ride a bike out in the elements as God intended.
>>
>>1719210
Seethe poorfag, go ride your slow toy to you minimum wage job.
>>
>>1721166
God intended you to live in the temperate rain shadow of Europe. Leave that constant snow for Eskimos
>>
>>1720379
European cities are meant to be tourist centres nowadays so they have to improve the walkability of their cities each year so the tourists can consoome all their stores within a close radius.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.