[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 74 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

In your honest opinion, what's the dumbest decision a pilot/crew made that caused a deadly crash?

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Florida_Flight_90

>be 1982
>DC is in the process of being hit by a historic blizzard, winter weather infrastructure is ill-prepared to keep up with the snowfall
>be the captain of a 737-222 waiting in an unusually long line for takeoff
>notice your wings are completely covered in snow
>instead of turning back to request deice, decide to exploit the jet exhaust of the DC-9 in front of you to clean your wings off so you don't lose your spot in line
>its becomes your turn to take off
>improvised deicing procedure leaves your trailing edges caked in ice and the engine inlet sensors iced over giving faulty instrument readings
>end up trying (and failing miserably) to take off with iced over wings at ~70% power, only tasting flight briefly before hitting an expressway and crashing in the Potomac river
>74 people on the plane and 4 people on the bridge die
>>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_6502

You literally cannot make this shit up.
>>
WE
>>
>>1718306
Based
>>
you gotta respect the initiative and resourcefulness though
>>
>>1718306
>>1718397
>See also: Aeroflot Flight 593, a flight where minors were allowed to fly the aircraft
How the fuck have the Russians, as a race, managed to survive for this long?
>>
>>1717894
>We gaan
>>
>>1718474
Vodka keeps them alive
>>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Staten_Island_Ferry_crash

>2003
>staten island ferry captian literally OD's at the helm of a 2000+ ton vessel in a major metropolitan harbor
>misses the terminal completely an crashes into a concrete pier that slices open the side of the vessel
>11 people die, one of which happened to be a survivor of the 9/11 attacks 2 years earlier (I shit you not)
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amagasaki_derailment
>be Japanese train engineer
>so terrified of being reprimanded for missing a platform by a few meters that you derail a train killing yourself and 106 others

Hows that precise train system working out for ya
>>
>>1717894

As a railfan I simply have to state the Eschede train disaster (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eschede_derailment)

> superior German engineers use shitty wheel design
> superior German passenger fails to see a big red handle marked "emergency brake" in his compartment
> superior German conductor follows a superior German rulebook stating that stopping the train is only the last resort

Until all superior German procedures are followed, the deadliest high speed rail crash is produced...
>>
>>1717894
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1952_Farnborough_Airshow_crash
My dad was at this as a child.
>a prototype de Havilland DH.110 jet fighter crashed during an aerial display at the Farnborough Airshow in Hampshire, England. The jet disintegrated mid-air during an aerobatic manoeuvre, causing the death of pilot John Derry and onboard flight test observer Anthony Richards. Debris from the aircraft fell onto a crowd of spectators, killing 29 people and injuring 60
>>
File: mende-sulysap50_ 220.jpg (88 KB, 1200x872)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>1717894
>be train dispatcher
>at a station on a double tracked main line
>use new automatic dispatcher system that sets the train path automatically
>be old and frustrated
>want to quit the job
>Christmas rush hour comes
>high traffic
>passenger train arrives
>cannot set the exit path, machine doesn't allow it
>override it, set it manually and give the call sign
>>
File: mende-sulysap50_ 340.jpg (76 KB, 1200x848)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>1718825
>be train crew on passenger express train
>its and old steam engine
>arrive at station, shouldn't have to stop
>no exit
>finally recieve call sign
>disobey rules and accelerate to 40 km/h instead of 15 (max allowed at callsign)
>get on the wrong side of the double tracks
>suddenly a wild freight train appears coming your way
>collide, killing 43 people
>>
>>1717894
>discover cool youtube channel about air disasters
>wants to know what software the guy uses for his videos
>looks at his twitter
>guy is a trans woman
Every single time.
>>
>>1718848
What's the name of the channel?
>>
>>1718860
Disaster Breakdown
>>
>>1718624
I remember someone dubbing eurobeat onto this kek
>>
>>1718860
crotch tunnel made of colon disasters
>>
>>1719005
>>1718624
To be fair, the train's passengers were probably glad to be dead rather than late themselves.
>>
For me, this was the dumbest crash ever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_6502
>be Russian
>drink vodka
>I mean, a LOT of vodka
>make a bet to land without seeing fucking anything
>get multiple warnings about descending too fast
>ignore them
>smash the fucking plane into the fucking ground
Seriously...why?
>>
>>1718616
BING BONG

>>1719045
Yeah.... you didn't read the thread.
>>
File: WE.jpg (297 KB, 500x822)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
>>1718476
He said dumbest, not based.
>>
File: 1617895625183.jpg (8 KB, 175x288)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1718476
>>1719379
Lets be honest, the Tenerife Air Disaster was 100% the fault of the air traffic control tower.
>>
File: IMG_2903.jpg (2.42 MB, 3264x2448)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB JPG
>>1717894
2016 Lockhart hot air balloon crash. Happened down this road (taken about a week after an incident). Note the high-voltage lines.

>pilot was taken a shitload of prescription drugs for ADHD and depression (Ritalin, oxycodone, Valium, cyclobenzaprine [muscle relaxant], and like three others)
>cloudy and foggy, most other pilots cancelled flights that day
>no one was employed to follow the balloon's path, no one had any pictures of the balloon in flight
>balloon descends on a bunch of power lines
>very rural, only a few pops were heard, so all the authorities had to go on was a "possible vehicular accident"
>emergency services arrive to find the balloon on fire and 16 people dead
>>
>>1718863
>disaster breakdown
>is a tranny
Couldn't make it up.
>>
>>1719603
>>1718863
>So.... I'm a girl. Standby for new name drop.

What pushed him to this point?
>>
>>1719665
Being a Geordie definitely didn't help.
>>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balvano_train_disaster

The now-forgotten Balvasno tragedy remains Italy's worst rail disaster; forgotten mostly because Italy was under Fascist rule at the time.

Unlike most rail disasters, it never involved a crash or collision. Instead, a goods train doubleheaded by coal burning steam locomotives stalled in a long tunnel, which then proceeded to fill with toxic smoke that asphyxiated not only the crew of the train but the hundreds of illegal stowaway vagrants onboard. They were overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning before any of them could realize what was happening.
>>
>>1718805
>The restaurant coach, six, was crushed to a 15-centimetre (6 in) height
Reading this sent shills down my spine. Fucking hell. This is why I donate monthly to my countries emergency services.
>>
>>1720336

>400 people literally BRAAAPed to death
>>
>>1720336
>forgotten mostly because Italy was under Fascist rule at the time.
What are you talking about? this happened in the south in 1944
>>
>>1719005
>be me
>Honarabu Nippon train driver man
>train 0.03 seconds late
>drive train faster to make up for lost time
>train starts to drift off track
>can't stop or i'll be late
>relize that train will crash off track
>relize that if i survive then i'll be punished for being late and crashing train
>Notch throttle to max
>as train leaves the track i shout BANZAI
>plow into side of apartment just like grandad plowed into the side of USS Bunker Hill
>die horrifcally
>ancestors smile upon me
>>
>>1719528
pop pop pop watchin motherfuckers drop
>>
File: erebus-blizzardtop.png (454 KB, 940x705)
454 KB
454 KB PNG
>>1717894
not sure if dumb decision, honest mistake, or accident, but the Mount Erebus disaster comes to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Erebus_disaster
>Air New Zealand Antarctic sightseeing flight, 1979
>crashes into side of mountain on Ross Island, pilots thought they were flying on regular course, but flight plan was corrected by the department of transport after a printing typo was discovered and not disclosed to the pilots before they departed.
>The computer program was altered such that the standard telex forwarded to US air traffic controllers (ATCs) at the United States Antarctic science facility at McMurdo Station displayed the word "McMurdo", rather than the coordinates of latitude and longitude, for the final waypoint. During the subsequent inquiry, It was concluded that this was a deliberate attempt to conceal from the United States authorities that the flight plan had been changed, and probably because it was known that US Air Traffic Control would lodge an objection to the new flight path.
>Despite most of the crew being engaged in identifying visual landmarks at the time, they never perceived the mountain directly in front of them. Passenger photographs taken seconds before the collision removed all doubt of a "flying in cloud" theory, showing perfectly clear visibility well beneath the cloud base, with landmarks 13 miles (21 km) to the left and 10 miles (16 km) to the right of the aircraft visible.
whole lot of mistakes.
Also interesting to note:
>Efforts for recovery were extensive, owing in part to the pressure from Japan, as 24 passengers had been Japanese.
>Dignitaries including Sir Edmund Hillary (First Mount Everest Climber to reach the summit) had acted as guides on previous flights. Hillary was scheduled to act as the guide for the fatal flight of 28 November 1979, but had to cancel owing to other commitments. His long-time friend and climbing companion, Peter Mulgrew, stood in as guide.
>>
>>1721105
While I absolutely support your donation to the emergency services, I have to say that there isn't much, what the best equipped crew can do with human bodies that underwent a 200 kph to 0 kph stop with the simultaneous described compacting of the carriage. At that point you probably just need a plastic bag, water hose and a shovel... and a stomach made from steel.
>>
File: 1629256069762.png (370 KB, 698x524)
370 KB
370 KB PNG
>>1721200
>>plow into side of apartment just like grandad plowed into the side of USS Bunker Hill
>>
>>1718805
What I heard the emergency brakes could only be activated by the conductor
>>
Today another MD-87 bit the dust.

Press F
>>
File: 1548971437194.jpg (10 KB, 450x450)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1722282
F
>>
>>1722282
>>1722282
F
>>
>>1719665
Severe autism, a sense of dissatisfaction with his life, and the encouragement of liberal masses that becoming a woman is a plausible and valid way to make a fresh start.
>>
>>1722259
You shouldn't believe hearsay then.

1. All German trains must be equipped with passenger activated emergency brakes (regulation). The compartment of the guy where the broken wheel rim shot through had one directly over the compartment door.

2. The failure of pulling the brake was actually one of the report points and the court case but since the guy survived and was traumatized enough, it was ruled out that he did nothing wrong...
A bit of honesty: only very few people (me probably included) would react right in a shock situation..

3. What you might hear was that the train was equipped with a NBÜ (Notbremsüberbrückung, translated as emergency brake override) where the train driver may override a passenger activated braking. This is also true and a standard here - if a brake activation happens for example on a high bridge, where evacuation is basically impossible, the train driver may override the braking and stop at a more suitable place. Since the wheel destruction happened on plain track without tunnels or bridges, the application of NBÜ by the driver was not probable and the train would be stopped.
>>
File: 1610895302665.png (62 KB, 1000x702)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
>>1721293

It was actually profitable to charter DC-10's for sightseeing flights over fucking Antarctica?
>>
>>1718306
LMAO
>>
>>1718306
imagine if he had managed to pull it off
>>
File: FAJNzaUX0AU4dEr.jpg (271 KB, 1229x1638)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
>>1718848
Holy shit, worst disaster in the thread
>>
>>1718306
>>1724663
he did though, he landed the plane, he won the bet. it's the landing too fast and going off the runway part that was the issue
unfortunately the first officer died trying to save passengers, so he never had to pay up
>>
>>1724676
the saddest part is that even if this didn't look like a bloke, it would still have a 9 in 10 chance of being a paedophile
>>
>>1724676
I would pay 1000 bucks to trap this tranny with Chris Chan in a zoo exhibit where you can throw food at them.
>>
>2010 Filair crash in the DR Congo

>be crocodile
>minding my own business in sub-saharan africa
>suddenly the world goes dark
>hear engine humming and propellers whirring
>figure out that I'm stuck in a bag and my captor is taking me on a journey across the land
>holy shit I've never been on a plane before
>I wonder what the world looks like from up high
>spend the whole flight trying to get out of the bag
>oh fuck, we're landing soon, I need to gtfo and look out the window
>rip open the bag
>fuck yes, I'm out!
>rush out and try to find the nearest window
>all the passengers start running to the cockpit
>wtf are we disembarking already?
>go to window
>we're still above the ground
>this must be what the giraffes see every day
>woah the ground sure is coming up fa-

>wake up
>plane's wrecked and only one dude lived
>go check out the wreckage
>get fucking decapitated by a machete
>>
>>1718306
late Soviet Union in a nutshell
and this kind of fuckery was in every branch
>>
>>1725250
Interesting thing is that it's not THAT hard for a few strong men to restrain a croc, get all the men to the back to fight the croc while the women flee to the front and the center of gravity will even out and probably the worst that would happen is somebody loses an arm
>>
>>1721293
>>Despite most of the crew being engaged in identifying visual landmarks at the time, they never perceived the mountain directly in front of them. Passenger photographs taken seconds before the collision removed all doubt of a "flying in cloud" theory, showing perfectly clear visibility well beneath the cloud base, with landmarks 13 miles (21 km) to the left and 10 miles (16 km) to the right of the aircraft visible.
>whole lot of mistakes.
Only known film. I wish I could go back and warn this hottie. RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uthi8QAKboo
>>
I was a kid on vacation in Portugal when this happened. During that time there was strike among transport workers. So what happened was 2 trains on a single line bearing down on each other crashed.

>Foreseeing that the trains would collide, he tried to warn the guardsman on a level crossing between both stations by holding a banner or placing petards on the line; however, this action was not possible, as the train had already passed.

>Around 18:37, the trains collided, while traveling approximately 100 km/h (62 mph) each. The shock destroyed both locomotives and some cars in both trains, and ignited several gasoline-fueled fires.[4] Due to the fact that the materials used in the carriages were not fireproof, the fire spread quickly, producing great amounts of smoke.

>Immediately after the crash, panic spread among the passengers, who were frantically trying to get out of the carriages. Many people, among them children, got out of the wreckage, having been helped by other passengers; others burned to death, or were asphyxiated by smoke and fumes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoWcTPWnpW4
>>
>>1726673
>>
>>1724513
The 70s were a different time
>>
File: 1479950741076.jpg (72 KB, 620x348)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1724513
>>1726808
They still do these
>>
>>1724676
My fucking eyes. Why does this creature exist?
>>
>>1727337
Why do you?
>>
>>1727342
Defending a tranny? Really?
>>
>>1727337
Yeah only attractive cisthet people should be allowed to exist. Except you of course
>>
uhhh this guy's entire profile. he does really detailed writeups on plane crashes
https://www.reddit.com/user/admiral_cloudberg
>>
>>1727383
ywnbaw
>>
>>1727377
fuck right off
>>
File: _117163018_greatheck2.jpg (161 KB, 976x610)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selby_rail_crash

>An InterCity 225 passenger train operated by Great North Eastern Railway (GNER) travelling from Newcastle to London collided with a Land Rover Defender which had crashed down a motorway embankment onto the railway line. It was consequently derailed into the path of an oncoming freight train at an estimated closing speed of 142 mph (229 km/h). Ten people died including the drivers of both trains, and 82 were seriously injured. It remains the worst rail disaster of the 21st century in the United Kingdom.
>>
>>1721293
There were whiteout conditions making the mountain blend into the sky. Would of looked like there was nothing in front of them.
>>
File: c90.png (465 KB, 621x349)
465 KB
465 KB PNG
What went wrong?
>>
>when you’re flying and feel uncommanded rudder
>>
>>1718476
>>1719379
>>1719526
Captain van Zanten did nothing wrong (according to the Dutch).
>>
File: van Zanten.jpg (46 KB, 1038x513)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>
>>1729575
It’s literally in the charter and everything
>Stop at holding positions
>Do not push back unless cleared
>Do not taxi unless cleared
>Do not take off unless cleared
>Be aware of airspace boundaries
>Jacob van Zanten can do whatever the fuck he wants and WHAT HE SAYS, GAANS, MOTHERFUCKERS.
>>
>>1727609
Fucking cagers, man
>>
>>1726672
are those bright lights at the end the plane actually crashing?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Tom_Simpson
>>
>>1722729
This phenomena feels really insidious. Aspie guys who would otherwise be semi normal members of society turn into mentally ill sex addled medical dependants. Really horrific stuff. Sorry I know not on topic
>>
>>1718306
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_6502
> could make an instrument-only approach with curtained cockpit windows,
My god

>>1725077
>first officer died trying to save passengers, so he never had to pay up
That's no excuse.
>>
>>1721194
I think he means to say happened during WWII when there were more important things happening in Italy
>>
>>1721200
Warrior spirit
>>
File: MARTY WE GAAN.png (889 KB, 1280x720)
889 KB
889 KB PNG
>>1719379
>>1719526
>Marty! We've got to go back to the past, Marty! Biff was supposed to make van Zanten absolutely based, but when you turned him into a wuss, you turned van Zanten into a responsible pilot and he never gaaned! At precisely six minute and eighteen seconds past five, we have to jam the tower frequency so that he never hears that Pan Am fucking shit on the runway, Marty!
>But Doc, that'll change the future!
>No, Marty! He was supposed to be gaan! Your father and mother's admiration for the superstar of KLM is a nexus point! If we don't restore that nexus point, we risk destroying the space-time continuum irreversibly! Put these doctored cockpit and flight data recorders in the trunk, Marty! Once the signal's jammed, we have to retrieve the real recorders from the burning wreckage and replace them with the fakes so that nobody asks questions!
>Oh, Doc, this is heavy.
>The recorders aren't that hard to carry, Marty!
>>
>>1718805
My ex had a ticket for that train. They missed it because she nagged her mum for ice cream.
>>
>>1731948
Kek. High effort
>>
>>1730277
found the zoomzoom
>>
File: NisquallyTrainWreck.jpg (87 KB, 800x557)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>1717894
First run on new route. Take 30 MPH curve at 80 MPH.
>>
File: showimage.php.jpg (2.38 MB, 1600x1086)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB JPG
>>1733542
Good ending.

(Today was the first day of service back on the line)
>>
>>1726616
>worst that would happen is somebody loses an arm
That's pretty fucking bad
>>
>>1733542
For freights that curve is ten
>>
>>1733560
It seems overkill to have two big locomotives pulling four passenger cars. Do Americans really?
>>
>>1721293
I worked in Antarctica for a lot of years and it was always interesting listening to the old timers talk about having to collect the bodies, and how when the body bags would heat up from sitting in the sun, they'd fill up with gas and burst, which would cause the Skua to show up and start eating the pieces.
>>
>>1724676
Autism to trans pipeline
>>
>>1717894
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2016/04/18/c-130j-crash-that-killed-14-caused-by-forgotten-night-vision-goggle-case/
>>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bayou_Canot_rail_accident

Amtrak's deadliest rail disaster. Some sources say at least one victim may have been taken by opportunistic alligators, but this was never proven.
>>
>>1734351
The one in the back has had its engine, motors, and fuel tank removed. It now serves as a cab car for push-pull service, with the engine compartment now used as a baggage car. Hence the railfan nickname "cabbage car".
>>
>>1727586
>>1727383
Kys tranny
>>
>>1717894
Damn. Even if more people survived the crash they still had little chance of surviving the ice.
https://youtu.be/B2tzvmYFMJU
>>
>>1718616
>The ferry's pilot, Richard J. Smith, fled the scene and was found shortly afterwards at home. Smith had tried to kill himself by cutting his wrists and shooting himself in the chest twice with a pellet gun.
He did OD but was high as hell and pretty damn stupid.
>>
>>1717894

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransAsia_Airways_Flight_235

>right engine fails
>crew cuts power to left engine
>.....
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Mount_Salak_Sukhoi_Superjet_crash

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.