[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 30 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: airship james may.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
Why aren't airships like the one by the sky pirates in laputa castle in the sky built?
>>
>>1715686
Because youll be able to travel inexpensively over the ice wall
>>
File: Zmc-2_1929.jpg (32 KB, 540x348)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
you are now aware of the existence of aluminum zeppelins
>>
>>1716178
you mean ww2 planes?
>>
File: mommy.jpg (94 KB, 589x476)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>1716178
>>
>>1716178
>>1720479
It was quite impressive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZMC-2

And it didn't use hydrogen, which would improve its performance and be safer than teh Zeppelin given its aluminum enclosure:

https://www.nytimes.com/1929/08/11/archives/navy-to-test-new-airship-the-metalclad-zmc2-inflated-with-helium.html
>>
>>1715688
Meds. Now.
>>
>>1722749
Don't listen to him, OP. He's with the Illuminati.
>>
>>1715686
Idk, but I'm gonna live in an Airlander 10 like skycabin one of these days.
>>
File: index.jpg (423 KB, 1024x681)
423 KB
423 KB JPG
The Hindenberg incident has indelibly soured public perception on airships, however unfairly.
It also ruined hydrogen as a lifting gas, which is unfortunate because it is cheap and abundant.
The next best gas is helium, which is extremely rare on Earth and also escapes into space when it leaks. It can only be harvested at scale by distilling it out of natural gas, and even then it only exists in natural gas at a maximum portion of 7%.

There have been some semi-serious attempts at large airships recently for use as an alternative to cargo ships but so far they remain a novelty.
>>
File: 1635118481574.png (309 KB, 1047x481)
309 KB
309 KB PNG
>>1724067
I think if environmental laws do become strict enough that operating cruise lines becomes unprofitable on diesel, and batteries become too cost prohibitive for cruise ship scale, and global ship traffic becomes too much for the existing canals, we may see a modern return to large airships like Hindenburg. The Titanic to a modern cruise liner would be the Hindenburg to whatever that beast would be. If the threat of a mid air collision or terror attack by plane could be mitigated by drones or something, I could absolutely see the rich flocking to their own temporary Elysium in the sky.
>>
>>1724071
you could have the cargo get released in a case of emergency. released by that i mean explosive bolts and parachuting it down somewhere. with floats.
>>
>>1724783
I wouldn't have thought of that. That's a good idea. I was thinking discretely mounted AAMs, drone disabling EMP guns (or whatever they call them currently) and missile-intercepting lasers. Actually, if batteries get to the point where it can support such a craft, just put lasers all over the thing.

If private spaceflight is any indication, the rich will always have an appetite for the currently-almost-impossible. I only make 16 dollars an hour but when I make it rich I'll build one for /n/, you'll see
>>
>>1715686
>laputa castle in the sky
I'll assume that's some weeb shit you're into.
I looked into the most basic of the economics of setting up an airship to serve as a party craft for SF,LA,Vegas and DC,Philly,NYC,Boston and the capacity and tonnage is so ridiculously limited for operating cost. It's like outperformed by a long van.
>>
>>1722634
helium is a decrease in performance compared to hydrogen gas
>>
>>1724071
the people making strict environmental laws are the same people who dont want zeppelins to fly because theyre "too dangerous"
>>
>>1724071
Balloons need helium and helium is produced from the oil and natural gas.
>>
>>1725687
Nobody has to tell the envirotards that
>>
>>1725676
>>1725687
Why can't they fill them up with vacuum? Isn't it even lighter than Hydrogen? All it needs is inverting the carcass.
>>
>>1724067
>>1724071
Cargo carriers over shitty places (ice, deserts, remote villages, ...), it would work very well.

>>1722634
Another solid prototype:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeirdWings/comments/erto4o/aereon_iii_a_triplehulled_hybrid_airship_with_the/

This is one of the most interesting features, besides being a hybrid airship:

Five propane burners in each hull enabled the helium to be heated to increase lift; the ship would be about 400 pounds (180 kg) heavy (i.e. weight greater than static lift) with the gas cells 83 percent filled with helium, but heating the gas would increase the static lift by 800 pounds (360 kg). The helium could also be cooled by admitting air through vents in the noses of the hulls, with the assistance of blowers. The double-layer outer cover, mentioned above, facilitated thermal insulation of the gas cells.
>>
File: LCarS9t.gif (2 MB, 400x312)
2 MB
2 MB GIF
>>1728038
>>
>>1725687
I think you mean alpha decay from radiation, not oil and gas. Completely different properties.
>>1728038
I'd be surprised if you could make a structurally sound vacuum chamber at the size needed for a dirigible. >>1728135 would be the most likely result.
>>1715686
Airships fell out of favor for several reasons.
>Ballast availability
>Control difficulty
>Speed
>Load limitations
>Maintenance expenses
>Construction expense
Take your pick. Compared to any other aircraft they really don't benefit in any of the above categories.
>>
>>1728172
>I think you mean alpha decay from radiation, not oil and gas. Completely different properties.
No i mean industrial process of production. Small part of helium is in the natural oil and gas and it produced by processing oil and gas.
This is why BTW Germans didn't have helium to fill Hindenburg. Because they had no oil.
>>
File: zeppelini.png (65 KB, 800x600)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
We all know hydrogen is the superior lifting gas, so as long as we keep it separate from potential sources of oxygen it should be perfectly safe, right?
What do you guys think of pic related? Obviously not drawn to scale, just a general idea for a safe, modern rigid body zeppelin.
>>
File: 2452.jpg (75 KB, 1200x800)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>1728172
>Airships fell out of favor for several reasons.
They fell out of favor because of that balloon fundamentally losses to aircraft as transport system.
When people see the airship they think: "free lift!!". Thing is aircrafts have aerodynamic quality of around 20, they spend very small part of propulsion produce lift. And to have buoyancy lift you need huge bag of gas that produces DRAG. And DRAG is where fuel expenditure of flying goers.

Average fuel efficiency US passenger aviation is 32.5 g of fuel per km*passenger.
Hindenburg had 80 g of fuel per km*passenger...

Also Hindenburg was 6 times slower than modern aircraft's it mean that it can carry 6 less passengers per amount of time , it amortization costs are 6 time more per passenger*km traveled. And amortization costs constitute significant costs to the air travel expenses. Roughly its 33% fuel, 33% aircraft amortization, 33% everything else.

So you have system that 3 times more expensive and travels days instead of hours. Market competition? NGMI
>>
>>1728172
>>1728218
You are gay and think every technology is static and can't be developed any further. Every fucking time the same replies are posted here.
>>
File: fillup.jpg (1.34 MB, 3384x1718)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>1728215
>>
>>1728756
So what, reduce drag by coating the thing in teflon or something? It wasn't a failure of a political nature that caused airships to move into "cool niche thing" instead of a regular mode of transportation. It was the multitude of pushback due to market and engineering constraints that prevented them from developing further.
>>
>>1720479
don't talk to me or my son again
>>
>>1715686
Cause those are ridiculous. Their weight to lift ratios are absurd. Ive seen articles about the real one returning where there aren't time concerns, like heavy lift, but its a materials breakthrough like everything. One of the first good TED talks was about that.

People forget this, but if we stay with ICE for personal conveyance, accident mitigation will allow the cars to become super lite. So airships just need nanotubes, and we can have low altitude telecom relays the size for mountains. Why the mega rich aren't already doing this with tethers, is a mystery to me, if only as a flex. if you lived in Austin, and there was a hot air balloon in the sky viewable for a hundred miles, that gets lit up at night like an artificial moon that just said "ELON" it would be a psychological domination they world has never known. Sure the constant gun fire from the ground would be annoying. But just don't live on it or talk about that.
>>
>>1728215
One of the problems with hydrogen gas is being so tiny it passes through most materials, maybe this external layer could also be used to prevent this by applying pressure to it.
No idea if Nitrogen would be the best option or some other one like Helium or hot air makes more sense.

>>1729303
Jew or other fag.

>>1730600
> Why the mega rich aren't already doing this with tethers, is a mystery to me, if only as a flex.
It doesn't give them enough emotional gibsmedats.
>>
>>1730633
I mean, hot air doesn't make sense. Aerogel is another option.
>>
>>1730636
If you been through oil drilling areas, venting fires alone could which has always not cost effective to do anything else with.
>>
File: Project Loon.jpg (620 KB, 1128x841)
620 KB
620 KB JPG
>>1730600
that's what project loon was until Goog killed it
>>
>>1730633
>emotional gibsmedats
What does?

>>1730636
Why doesn't hot air make sense?

>>1731133
>Loon
great name. Muskeqse. But stratosphere? 10 miles up? How is anyone gonna see my giant balloon dick that far away? No tether/ambilical = 1mbps......super.
>>
At that point why id ask if anyone has digitized burst transmission (meteor tail over the horizon reflection) just for email everywhere.
>>
>>1731133
Is it cause they realized (like mosquitoes) lack of internet keeps the ravenous humans out of critical natural spaces, and that enabling them to be out there would bring on a environmental holocaust the likes of which have never been seen? And the people need to be incentivized to live as densely as possible for the good of everything, and get so much more (especially internet) by doing so?
>>
>>1731065
>>1731138
The outer shield has to inert and unable to catch on fire according to his idea.

Emotional gibs is what every sociopathic idiot is addicted to, it’s called narcissistic supply in psychology. Attention, power, control, …
>>
>>1728038
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_airship
Oh anon, I went down that rabbit hole. For months. Don't do it.
The tl;dr of it is:
It _might_ be possible at scale with modern materials. You don't even need to reach a full vacuum. But no one is going to take that risk. Why? To make it work you are looking at building this thing underwater in a lake or pond . Then you have to pump out the water and some how... profit? It sounds easy...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Nine_(sphere)

>>1728218
This guy gets it.
At best it has niche uses for heavy lifting in logging operations.
People keep trying to sell them to the military.
I personally wouldn't mind doing a little air cruise to get somewhere.

>>1728756
They are working on hybrid airships.

^ All my comments are all bullshit.
CHECK THIS OUT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D63PK2IyJ4

http://www.myairship.com/database/whitedwarf.html
https://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~rlorenz/flightpower.pdf

If you don't read anything else, the following is great if you like the idea of human powered workable flight ( they actually did it, this isn't click bait):
http://aerofoils.propellerdesigner.co.uk/white_dwarf.pdf

Although a hidden danger with this is hitting thermals and flying too high!
I would probably want a powered motor for emergencies. Even if it was an e-bike type thing.
>>
File: DSC00195.0[1].jpg (67 KB, 1024x768)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>1715686
laputa had hot air airships?
>>
guys
what if
we heated the helium
>>
>>1733564
it would explode idiot
>>
>>1733567
A quick googling suggests you're wrong.
>>
i wish there were experimental / amateur built airships, id kill for this rating
but the only way to get an instructor in the us, as far as i know, is to work for goodyear
and they only hire retired airline pilots with thousands of hours
>>
>>1723833
Real original, idea stealer
What's next, you're gonna steal my french fry hamburger idea, too?
>>
>>1724067
The Hindenburg is just another clear example of why normie peasants need to be holocausted because they thing everything they CHOOSE not to understand is literal magic and professionals of those things are literal wizards
>there are people in this world that still don't know how electricity is created or how hot air balloons work
>>
>>1733587
Then we need to heat it more

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.