[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 30 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Backpack.jpg (114 KB, 816x667)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
What kinds of backpacks do you use and recommend? Do you use different ones for different purposes?
>>
>>1707951
Why do all this equipment aimed at roadies looks so fucking ghey?
>>
File: 717AJBcl8JL._AC_UL1500_.jpg (66 KB, 592x1500)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
I used a Deuter Speed Lite 20 hiking backpack that I got gifted for mountain hiking but I found it a waste to only use it two weeks a year so when my previous everyday backpack broke I just started using this every day. It's fine.
>>
god i hate cycling with a backpack
>>
>>1707951
Bum bag or bike packing
>>
I know, let's put a load of weight right behind and above us about as far from the centre of gravity as possible. Fuck frame bags, baskets, racks or panniers, they're for cowards and clever dicks, put the excess weight in the one place it's most able to adversely impact comfort, balance, stability and airflow if you want to prove your a true retard.
>>
>>1707957
most roadies are low t middle aged "men"
>>
>>1707970
There can be various reasons to prefer a backpack over something mounted on the bike. You may want to use it independently of the bike, or you may put shock sensitive items like electronics in it, or it could be a hydration pack. You might also not want to have a pannier rack on your bike so you can ride without it.
You can make a thread about mounting stuff on your bike, but this one is about backpacks.
>>
>>1707987
put the backpack in the basket you dumb fuck
>>
>>1707960
It's not that bad if you have a change of shirt. I spent this summer riding to work in some pretty gnarly heat, bought a couple of running shirts that keep the wet off your skin, was ok.
>>1707970
lmao stop being a pussy
>>
>>1707957
This. Here in the commieblocks everybody commutes on a mountain bike with a backpack or a woman bike with a basket.
>>
>>1707951

Camelbak with 2 litre bladder, durable stuff for bike trips in scorching heat.
>>
>>1707992
Yeah, /thread
>>
Any backpack will do just fine, bonus points if they are water proof. Only thing that really matters is how much interior volume you need and how much weight you intend to carry.

I have a couple smaller ones and one fuck huge ultra heavy duty one designed for bike messangers.
But having some frame bags/rack is much nicer than riding with a pack on your back.
Crossbody sling messenger bags that couriers use might also be good, but I have no experience with those. Perhaps some anons can chime in?
>>
>>1708004
This I got one dirt cheap from kmart does the trick.
>>
>>1707951
I have two large panniers on my rear rack.
I can still carry double the stuff of a backpack and have a fresh back all the time.
>>
>>1708058
My panniers are also very easy to remove.
Obviously they are not comfy to carry around for more than 100 meters, but I can park very close to my destination anyway.
>>
>>1708060
I thought about that, but carrying around normal panniers seems awkward and most of the 2-in-1 backpack panniers just look stupid.
I think the backpack in pannier method is best for me.
I'm still waiting to get some panniers though so I haven't properly tried it yet.
>>
>>1707951
duffel bags
the Sigma male choice
>>
>>1708066
Do you have a link to one with straps like that?
I was thinking of buying one of those topeak top bags, this looks way more practical and infinitely more stylish
>>
>>1708058
stop shilling this faggot, he can’t even ride and his videos are shit
>>
>>1708069
Shifter's videos are quite comfy
Though I can't stand that other faggot who runs an almost identical channel and looks kind of like him but with a 5x more gay voice
>>
>>1708070
Who?
>>
>>1708071
Propel
>>
>>1708068
I second this. Sometime Id like to have something more aero than pannier especially for smaller loads/cargo. That one looks very nice.
>>
File: backpack ventilation.jpg (993 KB, 1308x1920)
993 KB
993 KB JPG
>>1707997
>bought a couple of running shirts that keep the wet off your skin
>>1708058
>Backpacks always leave you sweaty.
Backpacks designed specifically for cycling and ventilation can probably help with that.
>>
>>1708068
>>1708075
I found it but it's kind of expensive and only available in america
https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FDRP

Think I might just look at buying a normal duffel bag and either sewing velcro onto it or just attaching it with ratchet straps
>>
>>1708068
>>1708075
>>1708083
no i was fucking around, but it actually looks neat with the integrated straps. also thinking of just strapping down a regular one to my rear rack
>>
File: BanjoBrothersBackpack.jpg (146 KB, 1200x1200)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>1707951
for me, it's pic related. The reflective lines are a bonus, drivers treat the double reflective lines just like the painted double lines on the street
>>1708066
that's actually really based, I will have to look into this
>>
>>1707992
>putting a laptop or expensive camera gear in a basket
>having a basket on your bike in the first place
No.
>>
>>1708185
You think a backpack will save your electronics after doing a few flips on pavement?
>>
>>1708186
Just ride more safely.
>>
>>1708076
peak soi
>>
File: dfsgdsgfsrg.png (420 KB, 743x417)
420 KB
420 KB PNG
The most based of all cycling bags, the waterproof hi-viz duffel rack pack

Remember Sheldon's adage lads, only a twat rides with weight on his back.
>>
>>1708190
form follows function.
>>
>>1708066
This really does signal the end of the thread, I mean why would you carry weight on your back while cycling? What's the point? As others point out it's bad for aero, bad for balance and stability, bad for your back, bad for comfort, there really is no argument that can overcome those obvious truths.

The answer, as everyone with a brain knows, is to carry the bag on the bike, as low down as possible, preferably at the front or rear, if you can't fit everything you need to carry in your bike then get side panniers, if you have side panniers front and back, plus a toptube frame bag, a handlebar duffel bag, a seatpost tail bag, rack bags front and rear and you still need to carry more stuff get a trailer, and if your trailer is full then OK, sure, in that extreme and improbable situation then go for it, get a backpack, but that is the ONLY time such a foolish baggage choice should be made.

A backpack should be the absolute last resort when all other methods of stowage have been exhausted.
>>
File: braasi.jpg (461 KB, 1500x2000)
461 KB
461 KB JPG
>>1707951
It's braasi backpacks for me, their Wicker model is great.
>>
>>1708212
Like 3kg of extra weight on your back for a day trip will make such a huge difference and the permanent extra weight of a pannier rack won't. Boo-hoo, stop whining like a bitch. You are the same type of people that will complain in some other thread about an air pump mounted to the frame or a saddle bag with a spare tire not being aero and carry it in your jersey pockets instead.
>>
>>1708212
>bad for balance and stability
That one's not true. Racks/panniers/baskets are swaying loads that make bikes handle worse. Suspending (light) weight on your back is the best place for it to be for handling.

>>1708224
>Like 3kg
bruh that's a fucking lot. That sucks ass to have on your back.
>You are the same type of people that will complain
what people with opinions who like aimlessly bickering online? Sure bud. Welcome to /n/. You fit right in.
>>
File: wald.jpg (232 KB, 1000x1000)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>1708185
>>having a basket on your bike in the first place
baskets are cool anon

do you think of dorky grandma baskets or hobo baskets when you think basket, and not cool unracers? Times have changed.
>>
>>1707951
PLCE Bergen Side Pouch
two or three of them can be chained together into a back pack or wrapped around / strapped onto a pannier rack
>>1707970
frame mount tends to result in hectic vibrations and can mess with the weight distribution of the bike
where as putting the same amount of weight in a backpack on your body reduces vibration and centres the mass on the bike only at the cost of sweat rash and wrecking ur shoulders
>>1708224
>not carrying 20 kg inna back pack
ok
>permanent extra weight of a pannier rack
weight is negligible its the aerodynamics and bulk that really throw a spanner in the works, esp with cheep baskets
>>1708066
will mess up the handling due to high centre of gravity
but at least there is no need to worry about left to right weight balance like with pannier bags
>>
>>1708247
>cheep baskets
why the 'cheap' caveat ?
>>
>>1708252
the folding types are not so cheep
>>
>>1708254
are baskets really an aero penalty though
the side basket which is the only one that might even fold is also quite rare/niche (albeit good)
>>
>>1708255
I would not call it a significant penalty as rear baskets are already in the riders wind shadow
the more noticeable thing is how much more space a basket bike occupies in terms of width
although one of my bikes as a very narrow and long basket, good for storing a small back or a set of rain cape and leggings

to fit an 18 litre backpack (xyz)
lay on side 230 wide 430 long 240 deep (mm)
laying down 250 wide 430 long 200 deep (mm)
standing up 210 wide 240 long 200 deep (mm)
smallest
130 wide 150 deep 350 long (mm)
>>
>>1708258
wake ESL-kun
>>
>>1707951
only faggots ride with backpacks

get a briefcase pannier like a real motherfucker
>>
>>1708254
folding baskets are based, what's the weight?
>>
>>1708335
>2494.758 grams for a set of two
oof, best for bikes with at least 37 mm wide tires I guess
a customer asked me to mount bike racks to a Giant TCR, with some mild confusion I explained why I thought it would be a bad idea
but still I installed the parts anyway and advised some minimum tire pressures
three months later they come back with a pinch flat from curb hopping, so get a new 23 mm inner tube
I expect to see them again soon
>>
>>1708212
>at the front
who the fuck wants extra weight on the steering column, the very thing that makes a bicycle balance itself?
>>
>>1708185
>put camera in bag
>put bag inside of metal fucking cage
>somehow not as good as soft backpack
kys
>>
File: frog-manchild-roadie.png (73 KB, 1274x1258)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>1707951
Never liked riding with a backpack, every time I lean forward the straps are pinching my chest and armpits. Messenger bag on a bike works really well even in an aggressive riding position.
>>
>>1708387
what you need is cross straps to make a backpack work

t. did jj for a year, it sucks to ride with shit on your back either way. The true method of biking with a laptop is laptop pannier
>>
Backpacks are based. They're simple, and the extra effort needed to ride with one just makes you stronger. Panniers on a bike is like walking with a rolling backpack, it's lame and cringe.
>>
File: joules.png (7 KB, 300x225)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>1707970
>I know, let's put a load of weight right behind and above us about as far from the centre of gravity as possible.
>prove your a true retard.
Fuckin you just went full retard. The CoG of you and your bike is not going to be anywhere close to the bike because of its measly 10kgs. Having the backpack as close to your torso IS having loaded weight as close to your CoG as possible. Not only that but
>what is unsprung weight?
Your knees act as suspension. Strapping as much garbage on your bike through frame bags, baskets, and racks (even if they're based) increases unsprung weight effecting handling greatly, not only that but because bicycles are gravitaxis vehicles
>what is joules of energy?
With more mass placed on the pedals, you're effectively increasing your joules, increasing torque at the crank.

Backpacks are based.
>>
jansport superbreak.
>>
>>1707957
Aero shit always looks gay
They know their audience
>>
>>1707970
>70kg+ man on 10kg bike
>bro the center of gravity is closer to the bike
you should retake physics
>>
File: baalmy.jpg (43 KB, 604x453)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
OP and his wife
>>
File: retarded stowge.jpg (114 KB, 768x574)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
There are people in this thread who see no problem, with this.
>>
Use a shoulder bag purse or something like pic related. For shopping groceries just bring a large black backpack. Also look up the rille strap for taking a camera with you.
>>
>>1708596
Humans didn't evolve for such posture
>>
>>1708462
you should work on your reading comprehension

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.